Forum Settings
Forums

why do characters often say "it's nothing..."/"nevermind.." in anime?

New
Oct 7, 2018 7:30 AM

Dec 2017
so to clarify, here's an example of what' i'm talking about:

(a dialogue)
character_1: you kno- *stops half way for a good 3 seconds*
character_2: what is it?
character_1: i-it's nothing/nevermind

why is this so common? this gives any depth to the character? why do you open your mouth just to stop? is this like a legit trope or something?

i swear to god every time i hear "nandemonai" something inside of me snaps. like you couldn't write a better dialogue to fill these 10-15 seconds?
don't really care about "betsuni" because it's more of a tsundere characterization

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 7, 2018 7:31 AM

Jan 2013
I get so mad at those lines. Just say what you had to say you dumbfucks
Oct 7, 2018 7:32 AM

Feb 2018
Idk about you but that's something I do quite a lot when I change my mind for example. So maybe they do that to make the Dialoge feel more realistic.
Oct 7, 2018 7:33 AM

Aug 2015
I'm not sure myself... But I sometimes do that though. Since the time when that conversation happen usually is when what the person wanted to say isn't appropriate for the situations...

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Oct 7, 2018 7:34 AM

Jul 2017
I too get annoyed when a character says something like that after a conversation.
Oct 7, 2018 7:34 AM

Jan 2018
It makes:
+Person who watch the anime becomes rage asf.
+The anime more longer(the longer,the better,isnt it?)
+The story more interesting(or not)
That just the things I'm thinking of atm.
Oct 7, 2018 7:51 AM

Sep 2017
Because people generally do that a lot irl too
Oct 7, 2018 7:53 AM

Mar 2014
To drag the story out or cause drama.
Oct 7, 2018 7:54 AM

Apr 2018
I do that and i see nothing wrong in that
Oct 7, 2018 7:55 AM

Jan 2018
I like to do it, and I know it's annoying. I think you know the solution for that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 7, 2018 7:56 AM

Jan 2016
Cuz Nipponjin liked that and we can't do anything about that.
Oct 7, 2018 7:58 AM

Aug 2016
I don't see it as much of an issue from a character's perspective. At first they want to say it, but then they soon realize immediately it isn't the time or place to do that given the circumstances.
Oct 7, 2018 7:58 AM
Jan 2018
Its just them being a wuss.

But ya its like a flag for something triggering in the mentality of some character , or sometimes its just a boy/girl try'na confess but stopping before even beginning properly.😂
Oct 7, 2018 8:00 AM

Jul 2015
I do that a lot when I re-think what I wanted to say whilst opening my mouth which is in fact, pretty annoying but I guess it's also normal?

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Oct 7, 2018 8:05 AM

May 2017
It's nothing compared with characters that don't know how to "thinking" and instead of thinking they say what they are thinking... I can't understand why they doing this in animes so often.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Oct 7, 2018 8:13 AM

May 2014
Ahaha i agree with you, it's so annoying. At least "NANI!?" is funny. Hearing them stutter N-Nandemonai is really grating for some reason.
Oct 7, 2018 8:13 AM

Oct 2017
uninstallthegame said:
why is this so common? this gives any depth to the character? why do you open your mouth just to stop? is this like a legit trope or something?

You should rather bother asking why people do this instead of asking about the characters. Because then may be you'll understand the reason. And this isn't really common, you're just being picky af. Perhaps, you did it just to make a thread about it...
Oct 7, 2018 8:33 AM
Sep 2018
Eh? Who cares right? It's actually realistic for that to occur. How boring would it be if mc-san shared all what's on his mind so early in the series? Just watch the anime and stop asking questions.
Anime is pathetic. So am I for being a part of this community.
Oct 7, 2018 9:29 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
In some cases it's just better to withdraw your words, especially if it's not a life or death situation and just a casual chat.

A REAL LIFE example:

Spoiler because it contains semi-sensitive topics; open at your own discretion

But yeah that is why anime protags say "nandemonai": because it's not like it was important to begin with.
Oct 7, 2018 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
Well, it's because...

...Never mind.
Oct 7, 2018 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
Honestly the worst use of this kind of scripting is when a character says something out loud clearly loud enough to hear, and then the other person responds with huh what did you say? And then they say oh never mind. This is annoying especially if what they said would have moved the plot forward or caused a scene.
Oct 7, 2018 9:42 AM

Dec 2017
Manolas said:
Eh? Who cares right? It's actually realistic for that to occur. How boring would it be if mc-san shared all what's on his mind so early in the series? Just watch the anime and stop asking questions.

realistic doesn't always mean good. i understand that it's common irl, but it doesn't improve the writing in any matter. i've witnessed a lot of stupid shit that people commonly do, will this make a good anime out of it? fuck no

like @Ranacchi said, if it's somehow justified then i have no problem with that. an example of justified usage can be seen in S;G and S;G 0. but most of the times author just cuts it abruptly without creating a setting to it

-Belka said:
Well, it's because...

...Never mind.

mate, do you wanna fight???
Oct 7, 2018 9:43 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I do that all the time so I don’t really do an issue with it.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 7, 2018 9:46 AM

Mar 2017
well, if you relate it to th-

actually, nevermind
-Belka said:
Well, it's because...

...Never mind.
AW FUCK
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Oct 7, 2018 9:46 AM

May 2013
uninstallthegame said:

-Belka said:
Well, it's because...

...Never mind.

mate, do you wanna fight???

Only if you...

mmhm, nandemonai. *teeheeee*
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 7, 2018 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think so why we see it so much is related to realism. It's used as a storytelling tool usually. Like creating suspense about some detail of story, foreshadowing or giving a vague hint about motives or emotions of a character.

It's certainly good example for lazy writing when it's used too much.
removed-userOct 7, 2018 11:07 AM
Oct 7, 2018 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
It's pretty simple. It's called cliche.
Oct 7, 2018 10:54 AM

Jul 2015
Lol I do that irl when I start talking without thinking and then realize I’m not supposed to say what I was gonna say
sorry I’m annoying
Oct 7, 2018 10:59 AM

May 2009
As multiple other users have already pointed out, this is common behavoir in real life.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 7, 2018 12:31 PM

Jun 2014
I don't think this is exclusive to animes.

It's one of those things that would almost never actually occur in reality, because normal people don't usually behave like that (at least in my experience, lol), but it's useful as a plot device to build drama/intrigue, though most of the times is misused.
Oct 7, 2018 12:54 PM

Oct 2013
Cazador75 said:

It's one of those things that would almost never actually occur in reality, because normal people don't usually behave like that (at least in my experience, lol), but it's useful as a plot device to build drama/intrigue, though most of the times is misused.

Really? I've done that a lot and seen a lot of people done that as well, and going by most of the forum post here, it seems to be a normal thing to do.

It's annoying yes, but it's true.
Oct 7, 2018 1:11 PM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
Really? I've done that a lot and seen a lot of people done that as well, and going by most of the forum post here, it seems to be a normal thing to do.

Maybe I didn't express myself adequately. Yes, people can do it IRL, but it's usually not as exagerated, nor about things whose knowledge is crucial.

And I don't think it is so much about stopping whatever you were going to say, but about but the other person who is listening to you just accepting it and leaving it be without asking "what were you gonna say?".

I find that behavior very weird, but then, maybe I'm the weird one.
Oct 7, 2018 1:14 PM

Mar 2018
Because if they said what they were thinking the anime would end in 9 seconds. Gotta have about 20 misunderstandings before reaching the conclusion after all.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Oct 7, 2018 1:21 PM

May 2009
Cazador75 said:

keragamming said:

Well, I think it depends a lot on your personality as well as the social culture around you.

It's what people say when they think of something they want to say but then on second thought they decide it's better not to bother saying it.

Sometimes this has to do with personal feelings. Sometimes this has to do with opinions that are not necessarily accepted or relevant to the situation.

Some people care less about the social norms, and/or happen to feel more strongly about the situation, so they actually just go ahead and say it. Happens in anime too.

For example:

You're around a group of people you kinda know, but maybe aren't that close to you personally. Someone cracks a joke about suicide, and the rest of the group laughs about it. But you've either gone through a suicide attempt yourself, or have someone close to you commit suicide. You could tell them that it's not funny, or you could just not speak up, or you could even feign laughter and laugh with them, as uncomfortable as that might be.

Now, maybe you feel that something is wrong with their making levity over suicide. So you open your mouth about it and start saying something...but then you're like, "wait, maybe I shouldn't say anything, because these people might just look at me funny because of it". So then you stop yourself after a word or two (e.g. "Umm...") and then say "...never mind."
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 7, 2018 2:04 PM

Oct 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Cazador75 said:

keragamming said:

Well, I think it depends a lot on your personality as well as the social culture around you.

It's what people say when they think of something they want to say but then on second thought they decide it's better not to bother saying it.

Sometimes this has to do with personal feelings. Sometimes this has to do with opinions that are not necessarily accepted or relevant to the situation.

Some people care less about the social norms, and/or happen to feel more strongly about the situation, so they actually just go ahead and say it. Happens in anime too.

For example:

You're around a group of people you kinda know, but maybe aren't that close to you personally. Someone cracks a joke about suicide, and the rest of the group laughs about it. But you've either gone through a suicide attempt yourself, or have someone close to you commit suicide. You could tell them that it's not funny, or you could just not speak up, or you could even feign laughter and laugh with them, as uncomfortable as that might be.

Now, maybe you feel that something is wrong with their making levity over suicide. So you open your mouth about it and start saying something...but then you're like, "wait, maybe I shouldn't say anything, because these people might just look at me funny because of it". So then you stop yourself after a word or two (e.g. "Umm...") and then say "...never mind."

You got really in depth there, I agree 100%
Oct 7, 2018 2:12 PM

Dec 2008
Most likely because they forgot what they were gonna say........?
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 7, 2018 11:58 PM

Feb 2015
Because it's easier to say "fuck you" instead of writing a wall-of-text that sums up as "fuck you"
Oct 8, 2018 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
because people say that irl a lot too, so i guess to make the show more realistic i guess?
Oct 8, 2018 1:43 AM

Jan 2015
The uncertainty avoidance index for japan quiet high tbh. If they not really sure about something, better to not say it. contrast, for example, with what you could expect from the extrovert yankee
I guess this tendency of their society just projected too much into their fiction, in exaggerative manner
karambiaOct 8, 2018 1:54 AM

la critique de l'intention pure
Oct 8, 2018 1:48 AM

Mar 2015
if you do actually interact with normal people, this is pretty normal...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/ambigamy/201312/no-really-its-fine-never-mind
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 8, 2018 5:49 AM

Oct 2010
You know wh... nothing, never mind. Sometimes it irritates me too but I can live with that.
Oct 8, 2018 8:07 AM

Jul 2017
you dind't mention that those lines are often used in a """""""""dramatic"""""""""" context, because you know the anime is so deep... they want to say something but they decide not to at the end.. so deep....
Aug 17, 2020 12:01 AM
Jul 2018
I mean...isn't that real life behavior in general?
Aug 18, 2020 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder why anime fans must overanalyze the most natural and simplest things.
Aug 18, 2020 1:45 AM

Apr 2015
The great thread necroing continues
Aug 18, 2020 1:47 AM

Oct 2010
Why necro such a boring thread? I'm sure there are better ones out there.
Aug 18, 2020 2:54 AM

Oct 2010
A few random reasons:

1. What character A is going to say is inappropriate for the moment or their relationship with character B.

2. Character A is shy, introverted or doesn't know how to put it in words.

3. Character A wants character B to figure it out themselves.

4. Character A loses motivation to say that as soon as it flies over their head, for whatever reason.

5. Character A wants to create or feed the tension in their relationship.

People call everything a cliche and a method to waste time when it's freaking normal human behaviour and it says a lot about the ties or restrictions character A feels whenever they are around character B. Perhaps you shouldn't view narration as a series of end goals instead of a sometimes not perfectly linear process.

Catalano said:
Why necro such a boring thread? I'm sure there are better ones out there.

I mean, it makes sense because it's so boring nobody will ever mind.
Aug 18, 2020 2:57 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Anime isn't real life. Thankfully, in real life, nobody ever has second thoughts about saying something and people just say anything they want at any time they want with no filter to speak of.

edit: damn everybody beat me to this response didn't they

Aug 18, 2020 3:27 AM
Jul 2019
You're annoyed when it's directed towards you but I'm pretty sure you do that too when you talk to people. It's not just in anime, it applies to real life too.

Edit: Aw crap, I didn't even notice this was an old thread.
Aug 18, 2020 3:45 AM
Oct 2018
Most of the time its a build up to a revelation or to get us thinking of the possibilty that is if they told them then how would things go.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
15 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
23 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
34 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.