Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2018 8:04 PM
Jul 2018
As anyone who has talked with me here knows, I don't use the list portion of this site. I felt it would be too much of burden to go back and list everything as well as keep up with it. I started to mark down anime i watched during one season, but quickly found out during that season, i just can't or don't feel like keeping up with it.

Anyways, how many people here watch anime JUST to mark it down that you've completed it? Do the people here that do this actually enjoy the anime they watch? Do you complete anime you absolutely hate just to complete it and mark it down? Do you never get burnt out on it?

I just don't get the appeal of this site other than the forums.
It just seems like a kind of pissing contest for weebs.

There are so many people who started watching anime in the 90s when they were toddlers...I guess it makes it sound more realistic when they claim to have watched 6k+ anime.

Then there are kids claiming to be fluent in Japanese after watching a bunch of subbed anime.

Blows my fucking mind.
I just wish watching anime wasn't such a pissing contest.
Fucking MMAWL
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 22, 2018 8:08 PM

Sep 2015
For me, my main reason is of course to watch it for entertainment. I want to enjoy myself and watching anime is the way to go, BUT.. I do admit that once I joined MAL, I started getting interested in completing as many anime as possible.

But that is ultimately only a second motive, a fun hobby on the side. I still mainly try to start watching only shows I think I will enjoy or shows that I am interested in. But I do watch all the OVA's and Specials and they give me those sweet sweet +1's on my completed list, so that's cool I guess.
To prove this point, this year I have almost only rewatched my favorites and completed very few new anime. I had 25 rewatches on my list at the start of this year, now there's a lot more.
Sep 22, 2018 8:10 PM

Aug 2017
people who watch anime just to complete it are not anime fans. If I know why I hate an anime and its not tolerable I just drop it without any care. I can always pick the anime back up later if interest sparks back. Also this is mal we are speaking about, dont expect too much greatness.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2018 8:18 PM

Sep 2016
I like watching anime. I've re-watched many anime, some of them many times.
Similar to OP, I don't bother with listing re-watches because I'm not in competition for how many days worth of anime I've watched.
I keep track of which anime I've seen already because I've read so many Synopsis.
I don't always remember if a show sounds familiar just from that, or from actually watching it.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 22, 2018 8:21 PM

Jan 2016
I've ever thought about doing that, but i quickly denies that by simply asking myself "why should i?"
I watch anime for the sake of enjoyment, and because its my hobby. If i don't enjoys it, i will drop it. If i enjoys it, i will continue it.
Sep 22, 2018 8:23 PM

Oct 2014
jarring said:
To touch on this. I actually really love looking at the numbers for what i've watched, especially using Graph's analytics, it gives me a lot to think about. I compare and contrast my ratings between shows a lot, try to define my tastes more and think carefully about how i feel about certain themes. In general it's made me more conscious about myself, i enjoy things more, and i also hate things more.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Sep 22, 2018 8:28 PM
Jan 2015
I have no qualms of dropping anime. I'm not going to sit through something I dislike or doesn't have me interest just for completion. If I start doing that, watching anime will just turn into a chore, instead of an enjoyable hobby.
My Queens

Sep 22, 2018 8:29 PM

Mar 2016
For me it kind of depends on the series. I'll rarely ever finish an anime series I find myself absolutely hating, but sometimes when I watch anime I find myself wanting to sit back, relax, and more or less shut my brain off for a few hours. When I'm in that kind of mood I'll continue watching an anime even if it doesn't particularly interest me, sometimes even if I dislike it. It's pretty much the primary reason I've watched shows like Date A Live or Irregular at Magic High School, both of those being shows I consider pretty bad and boring. That's just more of a personal thing though rather than wanting to "expand my list" or anything stupid like that.
Sep 22, 2018 8:32 PM

Oct 2017
It's you who is making "watching anime" a contest. If not, you wouldn't have created a thread about it... Makes me think if you actually make everything around you a contest. Like watching movies, playing games, etc.

I watch anime for entertainment, and I do drop shows if I really dislike them.
Sep 22, 2018 8:33 PM

Aug 2015
I also think that many users of MAL see their anime just to catalog as much as possible and not for entertainment.

Particularly, I watch for entertainment. After more than 15 years watching anime, I did not even see 200 ...
Sep 22, 2018 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
Rayall said:
For me it kind of depends on the series. I'll rarely ever finish an anime series I find myself absolutely hating, but sometimes when I watch anime I find myself wanting to sit back, relax, and more or less shut my brain off for a few hours. When I'm in that kind of mood I'll continue watching an anime even if it doesn't particularly interest me, sometimes even if I dislike it. It's pretty much the primary reason I've watched shows like Date A Live or Irregular at Magic High School, both of those being shows I consider pretty bad and boring. That's just more of a personal thing though rather than wanting to "expand my list" or anything stupid like that.

there are many shows i genuinely thought were good but drop anyways.
I'm glad people are responding genuinely, but this is more directed towards a different kind of folk.
But i guess i shouldn't be surprised people like that wouldn't respond in a thread like this.
I'm looking for those people that started watching anime in the 80s and 90s when they were toddlers
Those people who learned Japanese from watching subs.

Basically liars
cuz they think watching anime is cool.
and Japan is everything.
Weebs. Liars. etc.
Sep 22, 2018 8:37 PM

Jan 2009
nah i dropped anime if i do not like it, fortunately i do not have a OCD when it comes to completing anime shows

and it took me years (until now actually) to list all the anime i have watch since my childhood in the 1990s, like i just add some random anime each time i remember that i have watch it in the past
Sep 22, 2018 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
I watch anime for the shear enjoyment and relaxation that comes from watching it. But I find it nice to be able to actually archive the anime I watch somewhere. Basically to have it documented online exactly what I've watched, and how much time I put into watching. I think MAL serves a great purpose for allowing fans of anime to make that kind of list. I think that just watching anime for the sake of completing anime would get old, really fast. People who do that would burn out sooner or later, because they are not actually enjoying what they're watching.
Sep 22, 2018 8:45 PM

Oct 2012
I used to, tbh I just did it compulsively cause I was depressed and there's something kind of inanetly comforting to me about stats and anime. however this is a terrible thing to do, my reluctance to drop shows burnt me out on anime a couple times. now I make sure to drop shows once I realize im not enjoying them or don't care about what happens. there's a ton of good anime out there idk why I was so determined to waste so much time. still enjoy the stats tho. I've been keeping this list up for years so it's pretty satisfying to progress.
Sep 22, 2018 8:47 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
At one point I wanted to be kinda a completionist but realized that's too stressful. I list what I watch because I want to remember all the small stuff and don't harp myself to watch stuff I don't like anymore unless I truly feel like it deserves my bad score.
Sep 22, 2018 8:50 PM

Jun 2016
I like when I press the "+" and the pop up comes out "set as complete" and when you click complete the green stripe turns blue.
Sep 22, 2018 8:51 PM

Aug 2018
You are making way too many points and not all of them correlate with each other.
Grab a snickers, live and let live.

I started watching anime this year alone (before that i watched like 3 i guess). And i find this site to be amazingly useful.
I have a list of all the books i have readed (nothing special just a wordpad file with the names so i kinda like MAL and his options) and this website makes it easy for me to remember which animes i liked, which ones i watched, which ones i dropped, my reviews or what i care about an anime or what i used to care about animes when it came to reviewing them and it all is as easy as making a few clicks.
Unless you watch anime 24/7 and you have so many damn animes to update, add and rate i honestly cannot believe that you could think that using MAL is in any way troublesome.

For your hate. Yeah stop caring about those people too much...
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Sep 22, 2018 8:58 PM
Jul 2017
Before, I used to watch anime that I knew I would like. Ever since I got into watching seasonal anime, I started watching shows just for the sake of watching them. If the show sounded slightly interesting to me, I would watch it even if it turns out to be just “ok.” It’s gotten out of hand to the point where I have watched over 10 shows every season ever since 2018 started. This really got me burned out, so I think I’m just gonna stop watching anime weekly and wait for them to finish airing. It’s tiring to keep up with so many shows at once. I don’t know why, but I get this small high whenever I add something to my completed list as if it’s a virtual collection. I don’t know how to explain it. Like the longer my list is, the more imaginary points I get.
Sep 22, 2018 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
CordobezEverdeen said:

Unless you watch anime 24/7 and you have so many damn animes to update, add and rate i honestly cannot believe that you could think that using MAL is in any way troublesome.

For your hate. Yeah stop caring about those people too much...

While it's not 24/7 i do spend the majority of my free-time watching anime, but yeah, it is troublesome.
i generally keep up with about 30+ at a time these days.. they all end at different times and i start new ones in their place. I also binge something i missed or didn't know about or rewatch older stuff as i wait for new episodes to come out.

and yeah i shouldn't care, I do feel kind of silly about it being 32 years old.
but when i get into a discussion with someone about something i've cared about for so long and hear them say some bullshit like this it's kind of distressing.
Sep 22, 2018 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
Phlaryx said:
Before, I used to watch anime that I knew I would like. Ever since I got into watching seasonal anime, I started watching shows just for the sake of watching them. If the show sounded slightly interesting to me, I would watch it even if it turns out to be just “ok.” It’s gotten out of hand to the point where I have watched over 10 shows every season ever since 2018 started. This really got me burned out, so I think I’m just gonna stop watching anime weekly and wait for them to finish airing. It’s tiring to keep up with so many shows at once. I don’t know why, but I get this small high whenever I add something to my completed list as if it’s a virtual collection. I don’t know how to explain it. Like the longer my list is, the more imaginary points I get.

Weird. I watch a lot more than that, and i end up enjoying everything i finish.
unless I was really disappointed with its ending like fuuka..
I even enjoyed darling in the franxx despite its "shitty ending"
it went downhill from episode 1 but i still enjoyed it.

:|
Sep 22, 2018 9:05 PM

Apr 2018
What's wrong with watching anime in 90s?
I started watching anime when I was 5 and yeah I still remember some scenes of Speed Racer but no, I don't mark it as completed because I barely even watched 10 episode fully. Those childhood anime fill my dropped list because I only estimate how many episodes I watched based on how many years I followed them.

Most my completed list are anime I watched post 2010 which are basically anime that I have collected until now in my hard disk (about 650 series).

I am not fluent in Japanese, but I used to learn Japanese. No, it was not through anme, I learnt it using Minna no Nihongo books.

Yeah, watching anime isn't a contest.
Sep 22, 2018 9:06 PM

Jan 2011
I just wanna remember what episode I was on.
Sep 22, 2018 9:07 PM

Aug 2018
jarring said:

While it's not 24/7 i do spend the majority of my free-time watching anime, but yeah, it is troublesome.
i generally keep up with about 30+ at a time these days..

Jesus christ.
That's... holy cow thats a lot of anime...
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Sep 22, 2018 9:12 PM

Jul 2012
Completing a series is a big part of watching them and for the most part I enjoy most shows I watch and I almost never have issues with tolerance. But a key part of that is I tend to go into series blind, and almost at random, so it's pretty easy to convince myself to finish the series most of the time. I'd also say if tolerance is an issue with most series than a person is probably taking a series way too seriously and is probably losing the enjoyment factor.

I aspire to be a completionist with most of my hobbies and at least with anime in particular it's rarely a test of patience, I also like to just be able to say if I ended up hating a series I gave it the best possible chance so nothing and nobody can change my mind. Then I never have to watch it again under any circumstance and can immediately watch something I enjoy vastly more.

As mentioned I also find looking at numbers and statistics to be really satisfying.
GamerDLMSep 22, 2018 9:24 PM
Sep 22, 2018 9:15 PM
Jul 2018
An0nim said:
What's wrong with watching anime in 90s?
I started watching anime when I was 5 and yeah I still remember some scenes of Speed Racer but no, I don't mark it as completed because I barely even watched 10 episode fully. Those childhood anime fill my dropped list because I only estimate how many episodes I watched based on how many years I followed them.

Most my completed list are anime I watched post 2010 which are basically anime that I have collected until now in my hard disk (about 650 series).

I am not fluent in Japanese, but I used to learn Japanese. No, it was not through anme, I learnt it using Minna no Nihongo books.

Yeah, watching anime isn't a contest.

There's nothing wrong with watching anime in the 90s lol. I watched anime in the 90s. I have many VHS i collected from the 90s..

But when there are people that say they STARTED watching anime like AS AN OTAKU when they were a toddler in the 90s.. that seems like a stretch right?

It just feels like they are trying too hard to compete.
Like they want to be on the same level as me???
I don't want to feel like I'm on a certain level?
If anything it's degrading.
Like I don't feel like the amount of anime I watch is a good thing and I don't want people to feel like they should have to compete.

It's like a drug, right.
I'm an opiate addict, and I'm currently on suboxone.(actually true btw)
I don't want people to take after me.

Sep 22, 2018 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
It's one thing if you live in japan and you just happen to love cartoons(pretty much everyone loves cartoons when they were little)

But it's another thing entirely for a western toddler to buy anime on vhs to appease their addiction.

it doesn't make sense.
it's like a toddler smoking a cigarette.
why.
why is it so common to hear this?
Sep 22, 2018 10:01 PM

Apr 2014
I've been documenting the anime I watch for several years by way of an "anime journal", aka a Word document that contains the start/finish dates and a kind of stream-of-consciousness-review where I write about whatever's on my mind regarding each show. But I've found that in the year or so since I started keeping up with my MAL list, I've greatly expanded the number and types of shows I watch. By giving shows a chance that I normally wouldn't, I've discovered a lot of gems I would never have known about.

In other words, my tastes have evolved and expanded as a(n in?)direct consequence of keeping a public list, likely because I'm more inclined to hunt down more obscure shows, and to give chances to genres I had dismissed before as "not my kind of show", instead of just coasting along on the most popular ones in my favorite genres like I had been. Which is not to say that I'm going to magically like a show I would have hated before, but I'm not just turning my nose up at shows anymore just because they're not what I usually watch. MALgraph actually tells me that Sports is my 6th-favorite genre by weighted score (and 5th by mean). I hate sports IRL, but I stumbled across Haikyuu and fell down the rabbit hole.

Lunilah said:
I actually really love looking at the numbers for what i've watched, especially using Graph's analytics, it gives me a lot to think about. I compare and contrast my ratings between shows a lot, try to define my tastes more and think carefully about how i feel about certain themes. In general it's made me more conscious about myself, i enjoy things more, and i also hate things more.

I wouldn't say I do it a lot, but I like to do that too. Besides the Sports example I gave above, MALgraph says there are several other genres that I apparently like more/less than I'd thought. And sometimes I'll look at the ratings I gave two shows and go, "Wait, but I liked this show better! Why'd I rate it lower? Gotta fix that!" Whoops. XD
Sep 22, 2018 10:45 PM

Jan 2010
jarring said:

The main appeal of MAL forum is threads like this XD

Srsly tho, I like keeping track of things I've watched, and MAL is the site to-go when looking for anime information for me.

Though, I don't have somekind of milestones like some people here. I only keep track what I watch. I think I haven't watched any anime for months.
The last anime I watched was BnHA S3 and now currently waiting for it to finish.
Sep 23, 2018 1:45 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Umh, no, I don't watch anime for sake of completing it. Although, I usually finish anime I dislike once I get past, let's say, 50% of it. I don't get burned out on it, I got good at picking up anime that I'm going to like so it hapens very rarely. And of course, if I didn't chose bad anime on purpose. It only happend a couple of times tho

I had some anime that I completed just for the sake of having them on my lists, those were so called "must watches" but I was relatively new to the medium.
Sep 23, 2018 2:02 AM

Feb 2018
I did that quite a lot during the last two seasons that's why I currently barely watch anime and only read manga. It kinda burns away your motivation to watch anime.
Sep 23, 2018 2:11 AM

Oct 2013
AnimePixelz said:
As most people have mentioned in this thread, I too also watch anime for enjoyment/entertainment since it's my hobby. I've fairly enjoyed the anime I've watched and re-watched some countless times. Also, MAL is the perfect site for keeping track of what anime I've watched, enjoyed, plan to watch etc. Plus, MAL gives anime recommendations too which I find useful.
That's sad if you're just watching anime for the sake of completion and that you care so much about numbers. It's just losing the point and interest of anime at that point.

I second this. I use MAL as a plaform for keeping track of anime, especially my favorites. I'm pretty forgetful at the times so MAL helps me in a way.
Sep 23, 2018 2:19 AM

Jul 2017
I don't drop anime shows but if I dislike them I'll just put them on-hold.
Sep 23, 2018 2:20 AM

Jan 2016
I do agree that because of mal (and doing certain challenges), I've been watching way more anime than I ever used to. And that I definitely am obsessed with getting high stats. But at the same time, it makes it more likely you'll find something obscure but still interesting or entertaining (especially if you already know what kind of shows you're into).

Also, I'm used to suffer so it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

Sep 23, 2018 2:24 AM

Aug 2018
It's a fair choice. I stop it eventually if I'm too done with it.
Sep 23, 2018 2:29 AM

Jan 2016
Nah, just ignored them dude, ignored them.
Sep 23, 2018 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
i do watch some anime for the sake of completing them because i have a hard time dropping them
Sep 23, 2018 3:39 AM

Jan 2018
I'm waiting for another anime marathon thread to encourage me to complete more anime.
Sep 23, 2018 4:24 AM

May 2014
I watch anime because it's a fun hobby. When it becomes a chore, then you're doing it wrong. It's a big waste of time watching anime you don't like just so you can mark it as completed. I don't understand this "no drop policy" thing. You don't owe the anime anything, so i don't see why people force themselves to watch them.

I do wonder how the people who've seen thousands of anime and are around the same age as me can find the time to watch so much though XD
Sep 23, 2018 4:24 AM

Dec 2009
I only completed a series if I find the anime entertaining and interesting. I normally dropped the anime if it's not my taste. Especially if the first episode is boring and unappealing.

The only anime that I finished for the sake of completion and not because I like it are Bosou Renkin and Free!.
Sep 23, 2018 4:35 AM

May 2013
This is off topic but I would rather like to watch 'completed anime' more than watching anime for 'the sake of completion'. Lol

On topic, no, it's kind of idealistic to enjoy every anime you watch and mark it down as watched. My primary usage of MAL is to keep track of the number of anime watched, because I used to save the list on a .txt file before it got very cumbersome to handle. Then it just becomes a matter of using filters to distill the entire list and keep only the shows I enjoyed. Which in turn comes in handy when I want to rewatch a show years later and/or if anyone asks for recommendations.

Furthermore, I don't watch any seasonal anime for the off-topic reason specified above. Too much effort to keep up with incomplete adaptations.

I never get burnt out of watching anime as I tend to take pretty frequent and long breaks before binging shows stockpiled for about a month or so. Keeps the experience fresh each time, despite it being a game of patience.

Then there are kids claiming to be fluent in Japanese after watching a bunch of subbed anime.

That is classic 'i-only-like-sub' elitist banter. Wiener flapping never gets old between people behaving like kids.
KreatorXSep 23, 2018 4:40 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 23, 2018 4:38 AM

Aug 2008
I tend to watch anime that I'm actually interested in or that I know I'll enjoy. The only times I'll force myself to complete something I don't care for are if I'm already a few episodes in or for a challenge. Sometimes I'll be in one of those phases where I'm really into starting new shows, catching up on old ones, and re-watching. That's when I burn myself out and become completely disinterested in watching anything.
Sep 23, 2018 4:49 AM

Jun 2016
Sometimes I do watch animes just for the sake of completion, but only if it somewhat interests me and is a short series (like 12 episodes). If it's 12+ episodes and doesn't interest me much, I just drop them. I also watch animes from my "plan to watch" - just a few episodes - and if it doesn't interest me, I keep them in PTW list (maybe I will watch them in the future) instead of bringing them to Currently watching or On-Hold list.
But yeah, I am not in a competition with anyone. I watch a series because I like it, because it makes me feel good, or maybe I feel relatable, or because I think that it's worth spending my time on. And not for just increasing the score count or days count on MAL profile.
Sep 23, 2018 4:53 AM

Jun 2016
fancyjasper said:
I do wonder how the people who've seen thousands of anime and are around the same age as me can find the time to watch so much though XD

Same here lol, I also do wonder sometimes - just how!

* Oh lord, now that I have seen your profile you also seem to be in the same bracket.. Damn you're younger than me!
Sep 23, 2018 4:58 AM

Oct 2010
So, among all this inflammatory reasoning that only feeds your ego and your superiority complex, haven't you thought about the slight chance that people complete shows because they like to complete stuff?
Sep 23, 2018 5:05 AM
Jan 2017
It looks like after joining MAL .People take watching anime as if it is some competition or it is some achievement.People really forget the fact that watching anime is just a damn hobby and they aren't obligated to complete every anime they watch.
I complete a anime only if I don't lose interest throughout the show so my drop rate is too high and watching anime has been a hit and miss for me so far.
Sep 23, 2018 5:08 AM

Mar 2018
Personally if I don't like an anime I'll drop it, I don't watch for the sake of completion. In the past I would even drop an anime even if I had one episode left. There was even a time when I dropped an anime mid final episode lol. But now if I only have a bit left I'll continue it just because I hate having unfinished stories in my brain. But if I have a lot left then no I'd never sit through it because I could be using that time to watch something better. However I do agree that it is satisfying to mark an anime as completed and to watch the number go up.
I think maybe people who watch for the sake of completion aren't necessarily 'competing' but perhaps they just find it reaaally satisfying. Either way I don't get it and it's not my thing.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Sep 23, 2018 5:27 AM

May 2014
srafayms said:
fancyjasper said:

Same here lol, I also do wonder sometimes - just how!

* Oh lord, now that I have seen your profile you also seem to be in the same bracket.. Damn you're younger than me!

Ahaha i haven't seen thousands though :3 I've been watching anime pretty consistently for about 9 years and i'm still no where near completing 2000 shows, like i've seen some users have.
Sep 23, 2018 6:07 AM

Jan 2015
Honestly, I'm not fan of ppl saying that they have been watching anime since they were 3 for same reasons as OP.

I don't count those at
all. For me I love making lists and started keeping track of what I watched on my comp since high school.

When I found out about MAL, I just took my time logging them in.

Also, if you look at my lists you know I'm not afraid to drop titles.

Been in that game for a minute and three episode rule stands strong.
Sep 23, 2018 12:12 PM

Dec 2017
If I didn't enjoy anime I wouldn't be watching it in the first place.

I follow a no-drop rule but that's because I like to see what a show can do with each episode and story/character progression.

I use this site so that I don't have to memorize what episode I was on for every show I am watching. It's also fun to discover new (old really) shows to add to my ptw list.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Sep 23, 2018 1:40 PM

Apr 2016
Lol, I just want to remember what episode I'm on in an anime. I have s****y memory so if I don't document it, I'll forget.

The "completed list" is kinda just a trash can for me. It's easy to just dump completed stuff in there to get it out my way. It's also helpful if friends ask for recommendations. Anything else is kinda just trivial.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Best grey haired girl?

Spunkert - Feb 4

6 by Soverign »»
2 minutes ago

» Best orange haired girl?

Spunkert - Jan 24

30 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» does anime makes you perfectionist?

deg - 8 hours ago

12 by Rionada_Jackie »»
13 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

84 by Herapath »»
13 minutes ago

» WTF is the point of sexualizing male characters? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Mar 30

55 by Herapath »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.