Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 17, 2018 6:50 AM

Jul 2017
I really cannot understand the hate on this anime/manga. When the anime was announced I thought it will be another one like MHA or any shonen anime. But then I hear the utter negativity at the first episode. So I watch it and see that the source of the hate is Asta voice . People kept saying that the anime suck and the manga will get axed and the top review verified it. But I find the anime to be just ok and the manga was fast pacing. The manga was in the top 10 of manga sale in Japan this year surpassing it last year ranking and even surpassing OPM & Tokyo Ghoul.It already had a game for a new manga series.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/05/30-1/oricon-announces-top-selling-mangalight-novel-titles-in-the-first-half-of-2018

So yeah I really cannot see the hate on this anime/manga
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 17, 2018 6:56 AM

Jun 2017

Well, when Japan only buys battle shounen Black Clover has good sales...
Sep 17, 2018 6:59 AM

Mar 2012
Black Clover quality is in upward trajectory so you can expect it to get better and better.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.

Feb 2018
@mhkr where did you get these numbers from ?
I am just curious cuz some of the places in this ranking really surprised me.

Sep 2013
because it's trendy and most people found it cliche, specially because of the similarities that it has to other shounen respectives. A lot of people haven't even watched it throughtly tho, I know some people who just hop on the hatewagon, so there could be this as well. also, asta's voice is indeed annoying.

as for me, I don't find it really bad, I find it slightly better than mediocre, the story is developing in an interesting way, but the way things are preditable are really lame, also the way they are treating it, like the need to make it last longer is really pissing me off, just like they are doing in boku no hero, they make an intro, a recap then the opening, jesus christ why..
Sep 17, 2018 7:00 AM

Jun 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
@mhkr where did you get these numbers from ?
I am just curious cuz some of the places in this ranking really surprised me.

The crunchyroll link that OP shared...
Sep 17, 2018 7:08 AM

Jan 2017
I can only speak for the anime in that topic.
Here are the things I dislike/hate about Black Clover:

-Astas voice is annoying as hell (I know that in most shonen its typical to have a screaming protagonist but man that voice is on another level)

-Visuals aren't good looking. In fact it has a heavy shift in quality. During some still shots Asta looks like he has down syndrome in other he looks good (I can imagine that he was looking exactly like in a manga panel)

-Story is pretty basic battle-shonen nothing really special about it

-You said the manga was fast paced, the anime feels like the complete opposite, like a lot of scenes are stretched like hell (Sometimes even worse than One Piece)
Sep 17, 2018 7:14 AM

Feb 2010
Eh, any popular battle shounen gets haters an masse and with BC Asta's voice just emphasized that. I wouldn't worry about it, I still know plenty of people who are enjoying it or looking forward to it, including myself.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 17, 2018 7:14 AM

May 2014
I hated it because it was literally a mash up of a bunch of other shonen manga that clearly exists to try and take Naruto's place. I think 11 year old me who was first getting into anime could really enjoy it, but not after i've seen so much better.

I'm sure the manga fares much better because i've heard the pacing is super fast, but studio pierrot is adapting it at a snails pace. Also Asta is the most annoying character i've seen in anime.
Sep 17, 2018 7:18 AM

Nov 2017
The adaptation was terrible and they converted an albeit cliched but relatively fun manga that always a quick read which didn't require much energy to go through into a boring mess of fillers and backstories that moves at a snails pace, the manga itself moves very quickly because well it's quite self aware of how generic it is therefore it's fast so that the viewer does not think of the flaws it has and just has a good time with shounen tropes that are decently well executed, the story and characters themselves don't have enough depth that is suited for this slow gradual tale and since the adaptation followed this direction it completely ruined the direction that made the source material fun to go through.
Sep 17, 2018 7:45 AM

Nov 2016
Honestly, as someone who is caught up to the anime, I can see why many people dislike Black Clover. Asta's voice is high-key annoying, the plot is rather generic, and at times the anime is very slow-paced.
So why do I continue to watch it?
It is because there are moments in this show that will get your blood racing. There are some truly good battle scenes in this anime. Also as crazy as it sounds, Asta's voice does grow on you and at one point you don't even really notice it anymore. If you hate it already, there probably isn't much I can say to change your mind. But if you haven't watched it and you like a good dose of action in your anime, I suggest giving it a go.
Sep 17, 2018 7:46 AM

May 2014
Well it's gotten slightly better since the start I guess, but it's still terrible.
Sep 17, 2018 7:48 AM

Mar 2015
MandarBloodeagle said:

which part is basic? a MC who is actually sociable and following hierarchy already available with protest trough actual merits instead rebelling against the system it self with spice of medieval magic?

fancyjasper said:
I hated it because it was literally a mash up of a bunch of other shonen manga that clearly exists to try and take Naruto's place. I think 11 year old me who was first getting into anime could really enjoy it, but not after i've seen so much better.

which part is try to take naruto? oh, i am not 11 years old, just to be clear... sure, i do find lot other that better, doesn't made BC any less enjoyable...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 17, 2018 8:17 AM

May 2014
fancyjasper said:

Kuma said:
which part is try to take naruto? oh, i am not 11 years old, just to be clear... sure, i do find lot other that better, doesn't made BC any less enjoyable...

When i said it's trying to take Naruto's place, i meant i feel like Black Clover was made just to capitalize on the Naruto manga finishing. To fill the void Naruto has left in the shonen magazine.

I wasn't insulting anyone who enjoys it in case that's what you thought. I just know that personally, 11 year old me would've liked it because it'd be one of my first anime, so i wouldn't have anything to compare it to.
Sep 17, 2018 8:29 AM

Nov 2016
Well as both an anime watcher and manga reader, I really am not a fan of the black clover anime and before the announcement few weeks ago I was hoping that after it had reached its initial 50 eps run they'll put it on hiatus for a year or so then restart anew later on but that won't be the case. Some of the problems I have include:

The pacing for BC is just horrible in every ways generally when adapting shounen properties studios tend to go with 2 to 3 chapters per episode which in many cases in the best way to do it. But by the time I stopped watching the show at around ep 25, they had adapted just slightly above that same number of chapters which is unacceptable especially with one of the best quality of the manga that most of the readers will agree on his how fast everything feels. And unfortunetely with the new announcement they just made I only see this problem going from bad to worse

Another issue that I have with this adaptation is how bad the animation is, I sometimes feel that the people working on the show don't even want to be there. One of the reason why I get excited when I hear about a manga having an adaption is the fact that I will be able to see the fights being animated. The fight in this anime are the stiffest and most lifeless thing I have seen in a long time. These fights are 10 times more exciting in the manga and BC is far from being the best looking manga out there.

When it comes to the manga yes it's cliché it's your typical shounen manga but it's very enjoyable and pretty easy to read through, the story is simple and doesn't waste your time. Yes it comes down to the fast pace again but that's the point BC knows what it is, it knows we have seen a lot of stories like that and isn't going to waste your time with pointless dialogue and the characters and fights are fairly good.

So to answer your question yes the hate to black clover is exaggerated and some people just hate it because it is the trendy thing to do but if you compare its anime (because in the end that's what most people are going to watch) to something like MHA I don"t see anyone choosing black clover

Note: Just like I said earlier I stopped watching the anime around ep 25 so it's possible the quality might have improve afterwards but I really doubt it
Sep 17, 2018 8:32 AM

Dec 2017
It's probably mostly due to Asta's voice actor and the production quality imo, it really isn't any more generic or derivative than something like BnHA.
Sep 17, 2018 8:43 AM

Apr 2017
I dropped the manga long ago since I wasn't interested in it anymore. But I do find the hate a little bit ridiculous.

But the fanbase isn't helping since they get overly defensive when you don't like something. Can't blame them to be honest.

Sep 17, 2018 8:44 AM

May 2017
I don't hate Black Clover it's pretty good for a battle shounen genre. Yeah it's true that it's not on same level as Naruto or One piece but it's still good , also the manga is much better compared to the anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2018 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
Some people are so pissed off of asta's voice. While its actually a faithful adaptation at hand but Pierot tries to drag plot into slower pace than necessary and contrast itself to the manga's pace.

I think the manga is nice as it is and yes, it can get so basic and cliche but you know beforehand its a shonen, it will definitely have its existing tropes in its narrative whether you like it or not. And its your own decision to give it a shot or not.

All in all, I just wished the BC adaptation would have seasonal breaks and split into 1-2 cours, just like what the BnHA adaptation did. BC too deserves a treatment like that.
Sep 17, 2018 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
mhkr said:

Well, when Japan only buys battle shounen Black Clover has good sales...

Lmao one piece is totally destroying everything. It's been on 1st place for more/10 years so far.

All hail One Piece
Sep 17, 2018 9:21 AM
Aug 2018
Yeah I don't know how people can hate the anime. I do admit that Asta's voice is annoying but still the anime is good.
Sep 17, 2018 9:24 AM

Mar 2015
fancyjasper said:
fancyjasper said:

Kuma said:

When i said it's trying to take Naruto's place, i meant i feel like Black Clover was made just to capitalize on the Naruto manga finishing. To fill the void Naruto has left in the shonen magazine.

I wasn't insulting anyone who enjoys it in case that's what you thought. I just know that personally, 11 year old me would've liked it because it'd be one of my first anime, so i wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

there is 6 month gap between naruto,some series already published in between... one shot is older than naruto ending, soo...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 17, 2018 9:49 AM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:
MandarBloodeagle said:

which part is basic? a MC who is actually sociable and following hierarchy already available with protest trough actual merits instead rebelling against the system it self with spice of medieval magic?

fancyjasper said:

Being sociable isn't really a unique trait for a MC in a shonen quite the opposite. Also what is your definition of medieval magic?
Sep 17, 2018 9:55 AM

Oct 2015
Popular manga already gets a lot of hate, it isn't helpful that it has been compared to Fairy Tail which is one of the most hated manga in the community, so in any conclusion, it's not the single series to be crucified for being a banal experience to the audience's eyes. It pretty much just added fire to the already big hate on an existing genre and coming out at the same time as BnHA doesn't make the case any more lighter than it already is.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Sep 17, 2018 9:56 AM

Mar 2015
MandarBloodeagle said:
Kuma said:

Being sociable isn't really a unique trait for a MC in a shonen quite the opposite. Also what is your definition of medieval magic?

tell me other MC that is normally socialize with society?

yo, eastern magic is rely on chant and talisman, closer to shamanism/taoism... eastern magic is drawing, symbol and textual, like mage, then chanting is secondary... the book is not something usually use in eastern magic folklore... even FT is not free from it since even mostly based magic, it still closer to eastern one, in magic wise with the power of chanting and craft talisman... magico is only one i can remember, from shounen stuff that actually use western folklore wise of magic before BC come...
KumaSep 17, 2018 10:03 AM
Sep 17, 2018 10:01 AM

Nov 2016
Did I travel back in time or what ? This thread is so 2017.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 17, 2018 10:13 AM

Apr 2014
Black Clover isn't necessarily a bad series, it's just really cliche. I don't dislike this series, not at all, but it shares so much with series that came before it, that I can understand why people dislike it, as they have seen it all before.
Sep 17, 2018 10:26 AM

May 2014
Kuma said:
fancyjasper said:

there is 6 month gap between naruto,some series already published in between... one shot is older than naruto ending, soo...

Naruto ended November 10th 2014 and then Black Clover started serialization in February 2015. That's not a big gap from Naruto ending. There's nothing wrong with that, they just wanted to hurry and start promoting the next big thing. And Black Clover fits the shonen mold perfectly.
Sep 17, 2018 10:36 AM

Jan 2013
When I heard the protagonist screaming everytime he opened his mouth during the first episode, I was sure that I was going to dislike it.

I watched till episode 23 and I’m almost dead.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 17, 2018 10:36 AM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:
MandarBloodeagle said:

yo, eastern magic is rely on chant and talisman, closer to shamanism/taoism... eastern magic is drawing, symbol and textual, like mage, then chanting is secondary... the book is not something usually use in eastern magic folklore... even FT is not free from it since even mostly based magic, it still closer to eastern one, in magic wise with the power of chanting and craft talisman... magico is only one i can remember, from shounen stuff that actually use western folklore wise of magic before BC come...

Goku, Luffy, Meliodas etc. . None of those have problem to hold an conversation, are pretty openminded with others and are friendly (Goku and Luffy literally befriend some of their enemies).

And what I know of folklore in terms of magic:
-Herbal magic, potions (Witchcraft)
-Magical beings (fairies, natural spirits etc.)
-Charms and talismans (Items that have a certain magical effect or fend of negative effects)
-Magic circles with runes etc.
-grimoires with spells and instructions how to create above mentioned stuff

The thing is why do you feel the need to highlight that as medieval, that can be applied to nearly every anime with magic.
Sep 17, 2018 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
I figured it out. Black Clover haters are racist.
Sep 17, 2018 10:43 AM

Sep 2015
Sweet said:
When I heard the protagonist screaming everytime he opened his mouth during the first episode, I was sure that I was going to dislike it.

don't worry once you get to episode 40 you will gain a Stockholm-esk syndrome. you'll come to love the yelling, and your ear drums will be able to take the abuse.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Sep 17, 2018 10:49 AM

Jan 2017
Milk_is_Special said:
Black Clover isn't necessarily a bad series, it's just really cliche. I don't dislike this series, not at all, but it shares so much with series that came before it, that I can understand why people dislike it, as they have seen it all before.
Correct, for a newcomer to anime its not a bad entry point, because its decent enough but still has room of improvement, so that they can find a couple of animes that do certain points better. But for a person, who started with the big three, or even before that (Saint seiya, dragonball, hokuto no ken and jojo), they experienced lots of anime, that have done that stuff already or better, so its natural that they wouldn't enjoy it.
Sep 17, 2018 11:02 AM

Jan 2013
LaLeLuLiLo said:
Sweet said:

don't worry once you get to episode 40 you will gain a Stockholm-esk syndrome. you'll come to love the yelling, and your ear drums will be able to take the abuse.

I would rather not put myself through such torture. Too bad that I get anxious for not finishing things so I’ll keep watching anyway. I’m stuck in this living nightmare.

Sep 17, 2018 11:10 AM

Sep 2015
Sweet said:
Too bad that I get anxious for not finishing things so I’ll keep watching anyway. I’m stuck in this living nightmare.

I do hope you know that the show is planning to go past it's previously slated 51 episodes. but if you do know that, i hope you enjoy the ride because...
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Sep 17, 2018 11:11 AM

Apr 2018
Dunno i dropped it but looking at some random black clover clips on youtube i can tell that the animation went to shit

The openings and endings in other hand are great...
Sep 17, 2018 11:16 AM

Jan 2013
LaLeLuLiLo said:
Sweet said:
Too bad that I get anxious for not finishing things so I’ll keep watching anyway. I’m stuck in this living nightmare.

I do hope you know that the show is planning to go past it's previously slated 51 episodes. but if you do know that, i hope you enjoy the ride because...

I’m very aware of it. I’m strong enough.

Sep 17, 2018 11:17 AM

Jul 2017
Shiroyasha_97 said:
I really cannot understand the hate on this anime/manga. People kept saying that the anime suck and the manga will get axed and the top review verified it.

The manga was in the top 10 of manga sale in Japan this year surpassing it last year ranking and even surpassing OPM & Tokyo Ghoul.It already had a game for a new manga series.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/05/30-1/oricon-announces-top-selling-mangalight-novel-titles-in-the-first-half-of-2018

so basically OP, it's popular so it's good? the more popular something gets the more hate it gets. and sometimes, as in this example, there are lots of reasons it is.

tbh it sounds like to me you're just trying to get confort by having people say"yea you're right" so you feel better about yourself. which isn't a bad thing, but doing it online is kinda stupid. (I said is SOUNDS like that's what you're doing)
Sep 17, 2018 11:32 AM

Aug 2018
One of the reasons ppl hate on Black Clover is Asta's screaming and the shounen cliche you've seen a dozen times before in Naruto and Bleach etc, but it's a different world thus a different story with different characters and powers.

In my opinion Black Clover is an amazing and amusing shounen series, some ppl on this site told me it was bad and I would realise it is bad after 3 episodes and stop,

however I tried it out and it didn't seem bad at all, I didn't mind Asta's voice because I thought it fits his character (the scream was kinda annoying after a while though), but! his voice gets 100x better after the 10th episode anyway, no annoying screaming but a MC who's getting more serious and no annoying screams but normal shounen MC screams.

The world is very interesting and the magic, grimoires (magic books) and the aristocratism with the Nobles, Commoners and ppl from the forsaken region, and the ranking system between the Magic Knights is interesting too. After a couple episodes I wanted to know more and more and couldn't stop watching and ended up bingewatching the sunday on Black Clover, Like 24 episodes.

Although there are some points in the story that is just typical shounen cliche, it gets more serious after like 20 episodes. There'll be deads, however the MC (asta) is still comparable to Naruto in terms of not killing ppl, at this moment (At episode 33 atm). But I believe(hope) he'll sooner or later realize he has to kill the villains, or at least not trying to talk them over and being friends after a dramating speech and some flashbacks....
Sep 17, 2018 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
It's not that i hate it, it's that i just don't get it
I read it back when it only had 20 chapters, saw it as an even shittier fairy tail (because it doesn't even have fanservice in every chapter) and dropped it
now that the anime adaptation is out there are alot of people who like it and i do not understand why
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Sep 17, 2018 11:53 AM
Feb 2018
Its beautiful,why people hate the anime,i too,dont understand.Like why!
Sep 17, 2018 12:04 PM

Jan 2017
I like Black Clover even though it's cliche, I just find enjoyment in it so I don't know why it's hated so much.

I even told my friend about it and she said if anything, Naruto was just as generic as Black Clover claimed to be by others, so I don't get it.
Sep 17, 2018 12:20 PM
Aug 2016
>implying that Asta's voice actor is the only bad thing about BC
Sep 17, 2018 5:38 PM

Mar 2015
fancyjasper said:
Kuma said:

Naruto ended November 10th 2014 and then Black Clover started serialization in February 2015. That's not a big gap from Naruto ending. There's nothing wrong with that, they just wanted to hurry and start promoting the next big thing. And Black Clover fits the shonen mold perfectly.

except jump has no power in it... since it was decided by reader voting with some editorial influence... even during those gap, some series do hyped, like kagamigami, which is later axed because poor support... BC in fact not having amazing start... only become upper ranked TOC later on after in water tample arc...

MandarBloodeagle said:
Kuma said:

Goku, Luffy, Meliodas etc. . None of those have problem to hold an conversation, are pretty openminded with others and are friendly (Goku and Luffy literally befriend some of their enemies).

-Charms and talismans (Items that have a certain magical effect or fend of negative effects)

The thing is why do you feel the need to highlight that as medieval, that can be applied to nearly every anime with magic.

what? do you actually watch those? goku literaly unsoccial in early because raised by hermit... during early dragon ball, he is friendly, but very socially inexperienced... it created lot of misunderstanding and even some hijink how he exploited during early part of series... luffy friend circle is small, (only 3), which later got brutal incident which make the separated.... luffy circle is closed in the bar he rised in and not expanded much until shank give him the goal, which still very experienced as showed in the way he recruit nami, sanji, and zoro... meliodas doesn't even try build relationship, since he moving one place to other... he does have high social skill to operate his bar, but that's it... it's consumer>service....

also, no, it's about what kind of magic, but the way magic is activated and used, which is very contrast....
KumaSep 17, 2018 5:48 PM
Sep 17, 2018 6:21 PM

Jan 2016
Cuz elitist hate Shounen, especially when it's more popular than their favourite shows. And most of MAL's user (and anime youtubers) are elitist, so there you go.
Sep 17, 2018 6:24 PM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:
fancyjasper said:

except jump has no power in it... since it was decided by reader voting with some editorial influence... even during those gap, some series do hyped, like kagamigami, which is later axed because poor support... BC in fact not having amazing start... only become upper ranked TOC later on after in water tample arc...

MandarBloodeagle said:

what? do you actually watch those? goku literaly unsoccial in early because raised by hermit... during early dragon ball, he is friendly, but very socially inexperienced... it created lot of misunderstanding and even some hijink how he exploited during early part of series... luffy friend circle is small, (only 3), which later got brutal incident which make the separated.... luffy circle is closed in the bar he rised in and not expanded much until shank give him the goal, which still very experienced as showed in the way he recruit nami, sanji, and zoro... meliodas doesn't even try build relationship, since he moving one place to other... he does have high social skill to operate his bar, but that's it... it's consumer>service....

also, no, it's about what kind of magic, but the way magic is activated and used, which is very contrast....

So you mean Asta is a MC who is sociable through his social skills (like how he befriended Rebecca) and not through his actions (like how he become friendly with Mimosa), then agree with you that is kinda unique for shonen. And yeah I watched those and by definition of sociable each of the mentioned characters meet the requirements for being sociable.
Sep 17, 2018 6:32 PM

Apr 2018
I personally feel manga is actually good but the anime not so much. Main reason for this being the pacing and the filler stuff.
Sep 17, 2018 6:37 PM

May 2010
Shiroyasha_97 said:

It's like 7 Deadly Sins. It's pretty boring at the beginning but it ramps up.

The beginning of Black Clover is something we've all seen before, especially if you've seen Naruto - some outcast has a dream of becoming the best. And he has a rival to boot. Then he joins a ragtag outcast group like in Attack on Titan and there are all plot devices to have an air of mystery like Attack on Titan (This is what happens when you get an insane hit, there will be numerous attempts to do one better).

Then, in volume 2 onwards, it's pretty much like Fairy Tail wherein each of the Bulls are introduced.

The only hope I really have for the series are the enemies being smart about some things so the plot twist feels different (like in 7 deadly sins) and other one is the point that the Wizard King makes about what it takes to become the Wizard King. Those are the standouts for me in the series.

But moments like those are sparse, so it's hard not to see the hate for it.
Sep 17, 2018 6:43 PM
Jan 2017
I do not understand either, Boku no Hero and Black Clover are the same, but one is hated and the other is treated as "the revolutionary shounen"
the only thing in which they are different is in their anime adaptations (BnH has better animation and better pacing)
Sep 17, 2018 6:53 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
It's for shounen fags who want to stay in the past with their action heavy dumbass characters. I don't exactly hate it, I intend to read in here soon but I understand why it's popular, unfortunately.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

75 by DrCarlosRamos »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2020

35 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 143 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2020

49 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2020

71 by Vindicater »»
Apr 24, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 141 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2020

75 by Vindicater »»
Apr 23, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.