Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 1, 2018 8:19 AM
Sep 2017
This series solved the mystery of Cancer I think
Oct 2, 2018 11:27 PM

May 2012
Great episode, really loved the intense action and development! Especially that ending! Let's see what's next.
Oct 7, 2018 10:30 AM

Mar 2016
Nice try, no matter what kind of story cancer holds, Cancer cells should always be exterminated! If it weren't for the cell division error, all these messes won't even happen! Anyway... This human body is so damn sick, it even got cancer cells growing in it. Thanks to the immune system, cancer has been killed, for now at least...

WHAT IS THIS!!? NK Cells can revitalize by basically laughing? Take note of this everyone! Whenever anyone is sick,JUST LAUGH!!! lol This mechanism seems so OP even irl
ShadowkillZOct 7, 2018 10:34 AM
Oct 8, 2018 5:00 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, an anime made me sympathize with a cancer cell. Maybe anime is cancer after all, since it's trying to indoctrinate me into liking it.

Also, Cancer-kun looked a lot like Killua. Are the writers trying to say something?
Oct 10, 2018 9:36 PM

Apr 2014
-Interesting convenient powerup of NK Cell there, but it really hits home the message of laughter being medicine XD

-Moral question of whether or not a cancer cell has a right to exist just for being different, but obviously such differences are a detriment of literally everything else due to the timely destruction of its host world if left unchecked, and thus fuck cancer.

-An antagonist that's slightly more sympathetic and with more meaningful dialogue was a nice change from the usual mindless monster of the week.
Nov 2, 2018 7:34 AM

May 2013
I'm glad they did the cancer arc like this. It was powerful enough to give the immune cells a hard time and it was defeated "for now." Meaning it is likely to come back later, unfortunately :( Cancer sucks. But that's how persistent it is and the body has to be persistent as well in fighting it. I wonder if they'll touch up on chemotherapy, drugs, and how it affects the human body teeming with cancer cells.

With that being said,
that was quite a bitch move to get revitalized, NK xD Poor Killer T, hahhah. Oh wells. No hard feelings at the end X)

I'm glad none of us are falling for cancer cell's pity party lol
Nov 21, 2018 5:23 PM
Jan 2017
OH MY GOD! Tokyo Ghoul reference! The cancer cells look like Kaneki!!!! White hair, one black eye(except opposite eye from what kaneki has), tentacle things sprouting from the back shoulders(they're even red). The first cancer cell even had the black sprouting from the center and white on the outside for his hair.
(Me continuing to watch...)
This episode is actually probably based on Tokyo Ghoul. It has a similar theme. The ghouls have feelings, not just killing machines, and they don't like that they're treating as scum and ought to be killed and that they shouldn't exist. Same here. The matured cancer cell says, "Why should we have to get killed? We've never done anything wrong! All we did was come into this world!"

Oh my god and then the matured cancer cell grows wings, just like Touka. This is definitely a reference to Tokyo Ghoul

Also might be a coincidence...the macrophage in cells at work has a very similar weapon to shinohara's quinque(weapon) in tokyo ghoul. She threw that at the matured cancer cells back, where his wings connected to his shoulder. Idk, but if anything similar happened in tokyo ghoul...well that would be wow.

Also side note i may be wrong, NK killer looks like Touka, and Killer T looks like Hide.

Anyways, I love this reference. I love the ending where White cell talks to the cancer cell.
Which brings up how the cancer cell said "thanks to a cell division gone wrong, the Immune cells that should've been my allies went after me. That similar to tokyo ghoul, kaneki used to be fully human and those who should've been on his side if he was still human, was trying to kill him all because of his innocent date with Rize, who happened to be a ghoul. It was neither's fault that they ended up that way.
Crystal_WuNov 21, 2018 6:25 PM
Dec 6, 2018 10:36 AM
Nov 2018
This is the best episode ofvthe series.
That battle against cancer cell was just too epic.
Dec 18, 2018 11:03 AM
Apr 2013
Nice to see some change up, considering their opponent was Cancer.

The best part of the battle was seeing Basophil again not doing a damn thing lol. He should have had something to say there. I'm gonna check out the manga and hopefully he's able to speak more there.
Jan 12, 2019 7:31 AM

May 2016
Cancer-kun looking just like Kaneki is a reference that's as blatant as it gets because of the very similar themes that centered with the question of whether beings who end up doing more harm than good deserve to live or not. While he didn't ask to be born this way and that really sucks because he became a cancer cell out of all things he could've turned into, the idea that he continues replicating more and more, aware of the fact that the only thing he can do is to cause more trouble for everyone makes it clear that his kind isn't suited for existing even if it was unfair for them. I have pity for you as a character of the show but when it comes to real life, facts don't care about your feelings because cancer sucks big time.

It's nice to know that something simple as laughing helps to a degree. It's another reason to keep happy in life after all.

Mar 12, 2019 11:27 PM

Jan 2011
I like how after his dramatic death speech his dead body has goofy cross eyes.
Apr 22, 2019 11:37 AM

Dec 2014
i see your Tokyo Ghoul comparisons but the thing this episode reminds me the most of is the chimera ant arc. after 6 episodes of campy silly bad guy fighting, suddenly it takes on a much darker tone, where the music gets a lot more intense and the stakes
feel much higher. then it goes into an existential spiral about whether or not a cancer cell is truly evil for just doing what it was born to do. that was bizarre!

side note but i'd love to see what David Production would do with a true horror title. the horror beats in this show and JoJo have been ace and I bet they could make a really great horror title if the opportunity came to them
May 19, 2019 8:53 AM
Mar 2019
Reminder that this guy helped RBC to stand up on Ep 2
Jun 3, 2019 5:43 AM

Dec 2013
Feel bad for Cancer Cell, he didn't choose that fate. Good thing other cells helped them out Arg, I'm not even a guy but Macrophage makes me want her to be my waifu lmao NK Cell is baddass. Great ep

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jun 4, 2019 1:01 PM
Nov 2015
Mich666 said:
Hmmm. Trying so hard to humanize their antagonist... it just felt really pathetic if anything else.

No, there are some cultures that are incompatible to ours and the sooner we realize that the better. People can't be friend with everyone and especially those who doesn't share our belief, no matter what humanism is trying to tell us. It's just doesn't work.

It's like trying to be friendly and understaning with the building that is going down to kill you or with the weather storms that are taking your homes.
There is no such thing as ultimate coexistence with everyone and everything and I simply can't see why he should be any different from all those previous hostile bacterias (not to mention they even failed to show the good ones for example).

So I found this humanizing of cancer cell pretty awkward message of this episode.
Not to mention that very blatant Tokyo Ghoul ripoff.
how did it feel pathetic? The cancer is similar to other cells in terms of persona, the only difference is it suffered a mutation that made it's being and function incompatible with the body.

There are cultures that are incompatible with ours, and yes we can't get along with everyone but this episode doesn't tell us that, it simply portrays what you suggested in a multi layered light. Just because there are cultures and people we can never get along doesn't deny genuine humanity.

The show doesn't portray this either , they aren't getting along and there is no possibility of them getting. They are destined to eliminate each other no matter what. It only tells us that despite how inhuman something may doesn't mean they're devoid of humanity.

The message is that cancer is similar to other cells in the body but that went through a mutation caused by a parent and they are to be eliminated no matter what. And its an unfortunate tragedy that happens within our body all the time. A Tokyo ghoul rip off? Nice joke it is clearly a parasyte rip off
Jun 5, 2019 4:21 AM

Mar 2015
Great episode, strange that I feel sorry for the most dangerous of cells in existence.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 7, 2019 8:47 AM
Nov 2015
Mich666 said:
JizzyHitler said:
you must be very fun at parties. Like how much do you let politics consume your life that you watch a goofy series about cells and somehow take it as an opportunity to push some shit about immigration.

It's other way around - this series tried to push something like that right in the face and this was the result. And come on, it's obvious it was meant that way. There are times when humanizing the antagonist is a good thing in anime but this wasn't the case. Or would you go open arms to someone who just tried to kill you and your friends? In fact it would be a lot better resolution of the situation if he straight away killed him without mercy and let viewers think about it - it would be harsh but it would at least send some message - this was a cringe instead.
you fail to understand the tragedy of it, it has no choice ,it is like other cells it has a function to perform and it's born with and it can't change it that's the unfortunate reality of it. The reason they felt emphathy for is because he isn't a foreign invader he is cell that the system they protect failed to properly create and he has to die because of someone else's negligence.
Jul 11, 2019 2:58 PM

Oct 2014
am I supposed to feel bad for a cancer cell? writers are fucked in the head.
Jul 16, 2019 9:56 AM

Jul 2013
Mich666 said:
JizzyHitler said:
you must be very fun at parties. Like how much do you let politics consume your life that you watch a goofy series about cells and somehow take it as an opportunity to push some shit about immigration.

It's other way around - this series tried to push something like that right in the face and this was the result. And come on, it's obvious it was meant that way. There are times when humanizing the antagonist is a good thing in anime but this wasn't the case. Or would you go open arms to someone who just tried to kill you and your friends? In fact it would be a lot better resolution of the situation if he straight away killed him without mercy and let viewers think about it - it would be harsh but it would at least send some message - this was a cringe instead.

Yikes... luv... reading your other post in this thread, you sure must be a lot of fun in parties. You fail to realize the context in this tragedy. The cancer cell literally has no choice but to keep doing what he's doing because it's what he's born to do. This has been talked about 2 episodes ago when the body went haywire because of cells just doing their jobs. This anime is about how cells would be if they had human emotions and it portrayed just that. The cancer cell is right to question his existence and purpose.

If you seriously think people in real life are gonna start empathizing with cancer just because of an anime character then let natural selection take its course lmfao. This is a Japanese cartoon luv. In the end, the immune cells still killed the cancer cell. Did you even read WBC and the cancer cell's conversation about abiding by their world's laws?
Dull_LullJul 16, 2019 10:00 AM
Oct 5, 2019 11:26 PM
Oct 2017
Cancer Cell Kaneki, what a beast!
My Candies:
Jan 16, 2020 6:21 PM
Jun 2013
shit we dealing with cancer already and the design is pretty good since cancer is ugly. How the hell you trying to make cacner sympathetic I mean its fucking cancer.
Feb 4, 2020 11:51 AM
Sep 2019
crazy how this show made me empathise with one of the most deadly diseases on planet earth and esecially for a show that i only consider to be a 6/10
Mar 19, 2020 6:54 AM

Oct 2012
NK Cells are produced more when you're happy apparently.. huh I learnt something today

Aww stop making me feel bad about cancer cell :(
I mean I do feel bad for them, but they're basically pests in reality
Maybe someday there will be way to turn them back into "normal cells"

Inaccurate episode, since most of the immune system are going to lose against cancer cells xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 7, 2020 2:36 PM
Jan 2020
wow great episode they handled cancer so well they made you feel bad for him , i'd thugh cancer would be like a serial killer cult or an anarchist terrorist group
Apr 26, 2020 9:44 PM
Apr 2020
Never thought I’d actually feel sorry for a cancer cell, but here we are. For an episode about cancer cells, I thought I’d be panicked and whatnot but I got a heartwarming one instead. I’m not complaining though. rip cancer cell and may you never come back.

Still, cancer is an actual bitch in real life though.

Alsoooo, laughter activates natural killer cells? So should i laugh a lot or smth in case a situation like this happens? LMAOOO.

Anyway this was a great episode! Looking forward to the next one.
Jun 10, 2020 8:24 AM

Oct 2015
Red blood cell being so useful to compensate getting lost all the time.

That last "I swear I'm not following you" from white cell to red cell was hilarious.
Jul 30, 2020 4:44 PM
May 2018
Although I generally like moral ambiguity and villains with good motivations, this one doesn't seem like the smartest idea, because now the protagonists are the ones defending a horrible system wich kills cells just because they're born different. If only the cancer cell was just pure evil or was like a zombie that didn't think, just tried to destroy the body, it would be easier to root for the MCs, but since they tried to add this layer of complexity the body now seems like some sort of authoritarian regime that kills people born different, so am I supposed to root for them? Idk
Oct 7, 2020 3:28 PM

Aug 2019
The whole time I was not feeling any symphony for the cancer cell.
Oct 13, 2020 3:38 PM

Jun 2019
RayanGomes said:
Although I generally like moral ambiguity and villains with good motivations, this one doesn't seem like the smartest idea, because now the protagonists are the ones defending a horrible system wich kills cells just because they're born different. If only the cancer cell was just pure evil or was like a zombie that didn't think, just tried to destroy the body, it would be easier to root for the MCs, but since they tried to add this layer of complexity the body now seems like some sort of authoritarian regime that kills people born different, so am I supposed to root for them? Idk

I would say it actually makes a great deal of sense as it's more true to life and the reality of the world outside the body. The vast, vast majority of humans (maybe aside from those with a specific egregious neurochemical imbalance and sustained trauma who turn to vengeance, but even then there is an organic mixture of biological and circumstantial reasons) are not cruel by nature and are just looking to live and thrive. That includes all nations, governments, organizations, systems, etc. which have ever existed. But the living of some, whether an empire or an individual, drains the life and resources of others and exploits and destroys other things around it. It comes at others' expense. Just by living, everyone is constantly causing suffering to and snuffing out the lives of innumerable organisms around them. Many only conceive of it in the context of more visible things, like hunting and consuming meat or cutting down large trees. But it's constant and continuous. Every time you brush your teeth to remove biofilm or flush some excrement down the toilet, you're killing countless bacteria. But bacteria are all just trying to live and fulfill the biological directives of all organisms put on Earth - to survive and reproduce/proliferate. That includes bacteria, viruses, protists, fungi, plants, and all animals as well, including humans.

And you could likewise extend it to cells in the body or anything with such a "life" force which has a beginning and end and seeks to expand and duplicate itself. But because of the system of existence as we know it, you cannot have birth without death and the empowerment of some without the extermination of others. It's cursing the system more than anything else, which is basically just the game of life, rather than anyone or anything for simply being born into it through no volition of their own.

Most people it seems just usually want to vilify, demonize, and dehumanize their opponents because it's considered culturally psychopathic in many places at present to approach such conflict in a more detached or dispassionate manner, so it's like people have to be "psyched up" chemically and sociologically to willfully do harm to others, as the logical reasons aren't enough for most people without the emotional and cultural component and conditioning.
WatchTillTandavaOct 13, 2020 3:44 PM
Dec 19, 2020 3:58 AM

Apr 2020
For some reason, the cancer cells look like Kaneki, lmao
Dec 30, 2020 3:06 AM
Jul 2020

I never thought I would be upset about the death of a cancer cell! however it's still CANCER!:")
This episode was exciting and beautiful as well as very informative.
Jan 8, 2021 5:26 PM
Sep 2020
I loved this episode, I didn't expect a plot twist like that but I'm happy it gave character to the background cells.
Feb 15, 2021 8:10 AM

Apr 2013
Well techincally cancer cells didn't really have a choice in what they are, but they still all need to die.
Feb 17, 2021 4:42 PM

Jun 2020
This episode was straight up cancer.

They should make an episode with a cancer cell patient. I think that would be chaotic as hell.
G_ExcelFeb 17, 2021 4:58 PM
Feb 18, 2021 2:45 AM

Feb 2020
Great and dramatic episode. Probably the best one yet.

I felt sorry for the cancer cell (only because this is an anime) but sure he needed to put down. Cancer is a bitch and nobody wish to get it in the first place.
May 2, 2021 11:33 PM

May 2015
A world ender due to an error. I felt a little pity for this personified cell, but ultimately that guy is really dangerous. Very enjoyable episode and is a nice look into a dangerous threat that the body might dispose of and we'd never even know.
Jun 27, 2021 7:42 PM

Oct 2016
A great episode. It depicts how cancer cells actually work very well. From how they violate proliferation regulations, how they are born, how they exhaust the body's resource, how they spread, what's causing them to go berserk, it's all very entertaining. They also have personality, which add more to the drama. And that one cancer cell looks a lot like Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul.

Sometimes cancer cells grow from genetic factors which is inevitable, but many types of cancer are caused by our own unhealthy lifestyle, like smoking, drinking alcohol, and eating unhealthy food. If you don't want your body cells to turn into cancer cells like in this episode, keep your body healthy, stay fit, eat well, and avoid cancer as much as you can!
Dec 9, 2021 3:04 AM

Jul 2015
Wow I almost felt sympathy for a damn cancer cell who just wanted to exist

Jan 27, 2022 7:14 AM

Dec 2020
It's official, Cancer cell was kaneki all along. And that laughing helps kill cancer cell thing was very well executed.
May 22, 2022 3:58 PM

Jan 2010
I'm mad that the human body can be interpreted as a living anime plot.
Oct 21, 2022 9:37 AM

Aug 2019
the cancer looks exactly like Kaneki lol

Must protect Platelets at all costs
Feb 7, 2023 8:04 PM

Oct 2016
nifetiseBOY said:
Hehe this anime is trying to make me feel bad about the Cancer Cell but I couldn't care less

You shouldn't, because in reality cancer cells has no sentience.
Apr 27, 2023 8:59 AM

Jul 2016
They really made a cancer cell of things a sympathetic villain with a badass design and cool abilities. Actual cancer sucks tho.

The spotlight is still on Red Blood and White Blood but Killer T and NK's banter is amazing.
Apr 27, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2016
They really made a cancer cell of things a sympathetic villain with a badass design and cool abilities. Actual cancer sucks tho.

The spotlight is still on Red Blood and White Blood but Killer T and NK's banter is amazing.
May 3, 2023 11:18 PM

Jan 2020
Well, cancer cell is the toughest opponent the body has faced so far, I wonder if cancer is the peak disease, I guess AIDS could be stronger than cancer.....
Jul 6, 2023 2:56 AM

Jan 2021
Woah! I don't know if I've studied that or not (I forgot) but NK cell revitalization through laughter? I'll learn to be happy even more.

This episode made me sympathize with cancer cells a little bit... but yeah, they're only harming the body, I mean they're just going to kill you. As WBC said, even though it's "sad" but if it's reborn then the immune cells will kill it again before it kills you.

Nov 30, 2023 7:20 PM

Nov 2023
Oh damn, look at the neighbourhood who are becoming cancers
Feb 16, 5:30 PM

Jul 2021
I have no sympathy for cancer cells.

Apr 3, 2:37 PM
Feb 2024
Is It just me or it's starting a beautiful love story? My blood is boiling because I can't wait for the kiss, pun intended. Jokes apart, this was a good episode with a good written villain, still the ep. managed to make me laugh out of silliness
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

153 by Seraschi »»
Apr 16, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2018

81 by Seraschi »»
Apr 16, 1:57 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2018

72 by Seraschi »»
Apr 14, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

82 by Mario_M_001 »»
Apr 14, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

91 by Seraschi »»
Apr 8, 5:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.