Forum Settings
Forums

I love the social media mod who emphasised "another" in this tweet about Isekai anime

New
Apr 16, 2018 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
I think Isekai is getting old and boring now. I mean, come one. It's literally just another word for fantasy with the only difference being that the main character started off in the real world and five minutes later they are in another world for the entirety of the anime.

What are your thoughts on this?

Apr 16, 2018 3:26 PM

Jan 2018
isekai will never get old b/c we always want something that's beyond our daily lives, sure there are shitty isekai that are made but there is always the chance that someone will do it right?

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Apr 16, 2018 3:28 PM

May 2015
Fantasy were already very popular but isekai are easier because offer on a silver plate the excuse for infodumping and introducing the world to a newcomer and relatable character who feels as alien to the new world as we do.

The issue is not the isekai on itself but it being light novel (more amateurish authors) and the target audience.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2018 3:31 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Still kind of left feeling like people are just making a mountain out of a small pile of rocks here, if I can be honest. In function they usually just end up functioning as fantasy anime in some way, shape, or form and people just get so focused on this Isekai LN thing and pretty much act like it's this unstoppable zombie horde devouring all creativity whenever we're usually getting one or less per season out of like, 60 goddamn shows at most. I don't see why it gets isolated and targeted to such an extreme.

Anyway, I'm kind of excited for it, I'll probably watch it when it gets done airing, just looking at the cover of it at least. Looks pretty nifty.

Apr 16, 2018 3:32 PM

Oct 2013
Eh I mean the concept of Isekai is several decades old if not centuries and you only now started to think its getting old?
Apr 16, 2018 3:37 PM

Mar 2017
Deknijff said:
Eh I mean the concept of Isekai is several decades old if not centuries and you only now started to think its getting old?

Despite that, it has only become trending in past few years. So I believe it's still a little early to call it 'old'.
Apr 16, 2018 3:55 PM

Feb 2010
Honestly, I like the concept and usually enjoy even the less outstanding titles. I've always had a weakness for fantasy settings and at the end of the day it isn't a whole lot different from regular fantasy in terms of appeal, with some additional nerdy gaming references occasionally added as well as sharing the perspective with the MC of seeing it as a fantasy world.

There can still be a lot of variety in the tone, focus and type of show executed in such a setting. You can vary how the setting works, is it game-like or just fantasy? Do you reincarnate or get transported? Can you get back? Are you the only non-native person in that new world? You can make the atmosphere serious, threatening and dramatic like Grimgar, or light-hearted, safe and relaxed like Death March. You can focus on combat like SAO, on politics and worldbuilding like Log Horizon and Overlord, on comedy and parody like Konosuba, or on slice of life like Outbreak Company. You can cross it over with other genres like foodgasm shows or iyashikei to create new, interesting takes on those.

So no, I don't see isekai, as in 'other worlds' as a problem. The question is what the show does with it, how it sets itself apart from other shows, and most importantly how well it does whatever it sets out to do.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 16, 2018 3:57 PM

Oct 2014
zal said:
Fantasy were already very popular but isekai are easier because offer on a silver plate the excuse for infodumping and introducing the world to a newcomer and relatable character who feels as alien to the new world as we do.

The issue is not the isekai on itself but it being light novel (more amateurish authors) and the target audience.

But that also goes for every other trend.

They will just hire some shmucks, make it, advertise it and sell it without even trying and caring.

Only SAO, Rezero and NGNL will be remembered because the creators actually cared and tried to make something good out of these 3 Isekais.
Apr 16, 2018 3:57 PM

Nov 2013
There have always been Isekai anime and Isekai stories in general. If anything it is old instead of getting old. If it's boring, that's up to each individual.

Isekai isn't equivalent to Fantasy. The main character could also travel to a Science Fiction world. If there actually is a story like this, I don't know.

Besides, I could easily rewrite this using MHA as an example. Yet another Battle Shounen has been announced. My Hero Academia follows Izuku Midoriya and so on.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 16, 2018 3:59 PM

Aug 2013
Isekai really isn't as overused as people are calling it to be, at least in anime. Even when it became a trend in the recent years, there were only 1, at most 2, isekai anime out of 60 new series in a season. LN is another case, though.
Apr 16, 2018 4:01 PM

Nov 2017
It's a very good form of escapism so I can see the demand for it, even if most of them are shit.
Apr 16, 2018 4:05 PM

Oct 2014
Kenny_Stryker said:
Deknijff said:

Despite that, it has only become trending in past few years. So I believe it's still a little early to call it 'old'.

Actually, Isekai already had big hits decades ago like Alice in Wonderland, the Wizard of oz, The neverending Story, Tron, Narnia, Digimon, .Hack, Inuyasha, Heck the first novels of SAO came from like 2002
So it is actually pretty old already.
Apr 16, 2018 4:05 PM

Dec 2017
What's that? Powerful protagonists in an isekai setting?

I swear I've seen that somewhere before /sarcasm
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Apr 16, 2018 4:11 PM

Sep 2014
I'm more concerned about all those Gintama sequel tbh.
Apr 16, 2018 4:27 PM

Mar 2015
Isekai Smartphone can rot in hell.

I do love isekai anime though, just not Smartphone and a couple of others. I'd totally love more Isekai anime, just not the death march and smartphone kind.
woah there
Apr 16, 2018 4:44 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
I totally get it. People are tired of Isekai. There are like five billion of them now and they are always getting adaptations instead of [insert better source material here]. Often, but not always, they focus on a needlessly powerful protagonist who mysteriously attracts every female in a 50 mile radius like sugar attracts fruit flies. In my limited interactions with others, I often see criticism that Isekai anime seem to be low quality productions designed to appeal to as many people as possible.

With that out of the way, as an Isekai lover who has thoroughly enjoyed just about every Isekai series I've had the pleasure of watching (yes, including the apparently now infamous Smartphone one), I feel obligated to say "just don't watch them if you don't like them." Nobody is (or if someone is, they shouldn't be) forcing you to watch Isekai anime. If you are tired of them, then just stay away, no?

Now, of course, you almost surely will not be able to avoid discussions about them if you are involved in the anime community; even if you don't participate in them, you will see them. But if you don't participate in discussions about Isekai, you should be fine. If you hate them so much that even the mere sight of other people discussing them, or merely laying eyes upon an advertisement for them would set your heart ablaze and inspire you to write up a emotionally charged rant about how much you hate Isekai, I'd have to say the problem does not lie in Isekai in that scenario.

Basically, yeah, I can see why people are tired of them, but there are a lot of people out there like myself who enjoy them. So my advice to you if you hate them is just don't watch them and don't participate in discussions about them.

Oh, and they aren't preventing [insert better source material here] from getting an adaptation. If the consensus was that [insert...] was better, then it would be getting an adaptation instead, or at the very least someone else would be adapting it. If they aren't getting an adaptation, it is probably because someone else is doing it and hasn't announced it, they don't think it would be popular, it actually isn't considered better and that is just your opinion, or any number of other reasons that aren't "well, [insert...] is better, but an Isekai will be more popular." If they don't think [insert...] will be popular, they wouldn't do it either way, Isekai replacement or no Isekai replacement.
Apr 16, 2018 4:45 PM

May 2009
I actually like fantasy but am somewhat meh about isekai.

They're quite different. When writing fantasy, you just have to worry about coherent setting features, but when writing isekai fantasy, you then have to explain cross-dimensional travel, or else the isekai aspect becomes completely gratuitous. UNLESS you're going with a more metaphorical/allegorical approach...which anime series these days seem to be afraid of for some reason, instead being obsessed with explaining everything.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 16, 2018 4:47 PM

Apr 2017
Isekai added to MAL's database as an official genre when?
Apr 16, 2018 6:33 PM

Oct 2017
The concept of isekai is really old, it isn't something new...
Apr 16, 2018 7:29 PM

Jan 2018
I'm hyped for more isekai! Isekai anime gets me good.
Apr 16, 2018 8:25 PM
Jun 2016
Some are goodish.

Goblin, slime, shield, spider though last mostly just because I love the characters can't wait for it to start.

All but shield have one thing in common, they did something different, if your going to do a isekai at least make it unique to the others.
Apr 16, 2018 9:50 PM

Feb 2014
I imagine MAL's reaction if they were in the 80's where all mecha and all tokusatsu was basically the same thing and you had dozens of it every season.
Isekai you have like, one every season at most.

It's literally just another word for fantasy with the only difference being that the main character started off in the real world and five minutes later they are in another world for the entirety of the anime.

A BAD isekai is like this, a good isekai will focus on how the knowledge and experiences of the MC's original world may interact and influence the status quo of the alternative world...

And then you have lazy stuff like Grimgar where the fact that it's an isekai it's only an excuse so the author doesn't have to write any backstory to the characters or the world.
Apr 16, 2018 9:53 PM

Jun 2017
Yep , it'll be interesting to see what new trend appears after isekai dies completely(if)

Apr 16, 2018 10:40 PM

Oct 2013
Actually any genre or subgenre is fine, as long as executed perfectly, not just putting anime tiddies as a vanguard or put a waifu war so people fight about it

But yeah that's my opinion lol
Apr 16, 2018 10:41 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah, I don't know. I haven't watched that much isekais so I don't have any opinion about them being announced. Just been holding that genre off for a while but I've been meaning to watch more. People will always get tired if a long-running trend goes on for a while until a new one appears and then the loop restarts again. Not an issue for me considering I'm mixing up varieties in what I watch with already aired anime.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 16, 2018 10:43 PM

Apr 2016
It's more and more garbage, yeah i know what you asking ... "how is that even possible".

But hey thats what Nipponjins wants so ...
Apr 16, 2018 11:00 PM

Feb 2018
To be honnest I don't mind it as long as the anime does something new.Also finaly getting a good very good one made by a person that understands how rpgs work and that isn't boring would be good i guess.
Apr 16, 2018 11:15 PM

Aug 2014
Jare4lopez said:
Yep , it'll be interesting to see what new trend appears after isekai dies completely(if)

Abit of later maybe in 2020 a new trend will come out.

Whatever that is it would be targeted on younger audience then spread to young adult until it gets popular so the other author start ending their LN and start following the same trends.

Very typical.

I don't have right to say it but most of Isekai readers or those who looks forward to it are braindead people.
I am not saying all but it's basically is.

Escapism because people want they want to be overpowered, loved by harem, start other life as a better person but done wrong because Isekai story basically make it even worse than teaching life lesson.

Or perhaps they want to slumber then wanders on MMORPG type of isekai because you know "Real life" sucks.
Remember why Log Horizon were great again?
They face those issues, they presented​ the problems, not escapism.

Well that said this doesn't even tell us about the technical quality of the story.
It's fine to be a Happy go Lucky or something like Shounen story but isekai in other hand tried to be nothing, there's no explanation for the world it self, there's no background for the character on the story, there's nothing to be told.

Yes it wasn't all isekai but majority is.
Have Death march and Smartphone isekai doesn't teach people a lesson already?
I know some said it might be a bad adaptation but the way the story told is ugh, no.
Shame.

I heard few comments from above that Isekai was already a thing in past , Inuyasha basically an Isekai but the story fleshed differently, or something like from Western , Alice in the Wonderland.

It's written properly, it gave the readers or watchers imaginations.
Not dumbed down characters because "I have Overpowered Characters, bow down to me peasants, hurr durr".
Exactly, plot convince combined with asspull literally make most isekai story wrong.

See that tittle, "oops I have cheat, now fuck off will ya".
Well still would watch though, see if it would go beyond my expectations.
Apr 17, 2018 12:04 AM
Jan 2014
Xaelath said:
Jare4lopez said:

Whatever that is it would be targeted on younger audience then spread to young adult until it gets popular so the other author start ending their LN and start following the same trends.

Very typical.

I don't have right to say it but most of Isekai readers or those who looks forward to it are braindead people.

Escapism because people want they want to be overpowered, loved by harem, start other life as a better person but done wrong because Isekai story basically make it even worse than teaching life lesson.

Or perhaps they want to slumber then wanders on MMORPG type of isekai because you know "Real life" sucks.

Well that said this doesn't even tell us about the technical quality of the story.
It's fine to be a Happy go Lucky or something like Shounen story but isekai in other hand tried to be nothing, there's no explanation for the world it self, there's no background for the character on the story, there's nothing to be told.

I know some said it might be a bad adaptation but the way the story told is ugh, no.
Shame.

I heard few comments from above that Isekai was already a thing in past , Inuyasha basically an Isekai but the story fleshed differently, or something like from Western , Alice in the Wonderland.

Not dumbed down characters because "I have Overpowered Characters, bow down to me peasants, hurr durr".
Exactly, plot convince combined with asspull literally make most isekai story wrong.

I'm cracking up right at a shonen watcher accusing another group of people of being braindead. Yikes.
Apr 17, 2018 12:23 AM

Nov 2014
changelog_ said:
It's literally just another word for fantasy with the only difference being that the main character started off in the real world and five minutes later they are in another world for the entirety of the anime.
Exactly. You realise that being isekai is but a small part at the beginning with little or no significance to the story. Good, you're already somewhat better off that the people who call isekai a genre.

Now you just need to realise that isekai as a label is meaningless, then you're golden. The 5 minute background story at the start of an anime isn't going to make or break the series. Bad isekai anime were bad for a plethora of reasons and not because of a 5 minute introduction, good ones weren't affected in the slightest by the main character's short background story. It's just that authors abuse the concept of isekai to avoid actually having to write a proper main character, so they can just make this generic main character from our world such that everyone's on the same page and move on with the terrible story.
BurningSpiritApr 17, 2018 12:39 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 17, 2018 12:57 AM

Mar 2015
i am sucker for isekai tho... sooooo
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 17, 2018 1:12 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
Xaelath said:

Very typical.

Shame.

I'm cracking up right at a shonen watcher accusing another group of people of being braindead. Yikes.

Your argument is even more brain dead.
It's wasn't about accusing its about the genre itself.

Shounen do have some issues but not the the point it was exploited and made so obvious it's generic.
And i am pretty sure my favorites doesn't even have shounen with the brain dead type of the story.

Aren't you the type of guy who generalise everything before checking out the fact?

I did watch Isekai and Shounen even read some in last and current but that doesn't mean i was braindead, so those who are reading it but i said majority who does who look up, follow, defends the fact when argument thrown are indeed, retarded. Like you.

Well that said it's rather amusing that people like you still exist around here.

Wait i think we should make a way that anyone that have read or watch shounen is braindead.
Man that would be fucking great.

I find it quite ironic because on of the greatest anime FMA is a Shounen.
Then again where did i implies shounen are braindead?
I only said it could be like Shounen, typical adventure, fight , enemies wohoo.
Or perhaps becoming a happy go lucky adventure like a slice of life focused, comedy as an example Konosuba which one of the famous Isekai.

That's why i said not all but majority.
Ofc shounen at current state is questionable, things like Fairy Tail or Nanatsu no Taizai, man it's hard to watch it. I do still watch Nanatsu though because of the story and weird design.

I remember walking up to a death march forum a man pissed why Wyvern doesn't look like what he saw in Manga, meanwhile it does actually look like one and the Manga one looks like a fking dinosaurs lmao.
Or was it the fact that every people would hit any kind of isekai as long you have this harem/Overpowered/reincarnated formula, and the story unfolds like a typical Isekai I guess, man save the bitch, man is overpowered, man reincarnated, so strong, save the world , gg ez.
Fuck me.
Apr 17, 2018 1:19 AM
Jan 2014
Xaelath said:
ItsXolo said:

Shounen do have some issues but not the the point it was exploited and made so obvious it's generic.
And i am pretty sure my favorites doesn't even have shounen with the brain dead type of the story.

Aren't you the type of guy who generalise everything before checking out the fact?

I did watch Isekai and Shounen even read some in last and current but that doesn't mean i was braindead, so those who are reading it but i said majority who does who look up, follow, defends the fact when argument thrown are indeed, retarded. Like you.

Well that said it's rather amusing that people like you still exist around here.

Wait i think we should make a way that anyone that have read or watch shounen is braindead.

Or perhaps becoming a happy go lucky adventure like a slice of life focused, comedy as an example Konosuba which one of the famous Isekai.

Ofc shounen at current state is questionable, things like Fairy Tail or Nanatsu no Taizai, man it's hard to watch it. I do still watch Nanatsu though because of the story and weird design.

I remember walking up to a death march forum a man pissed why Wyvern doesn't look like what he saw in Manga, meanwhile it does actually look like one and the Manga one looks like a fking dinosaurs lmao.
Or was it the fact that every people would hit any kind of isekai as long you have this harem/Overpowered/reincarnated formula, and the story unfolds like a typical Isekai I guess, man save the bitch, man is overpowered, man reincarnated, so strong, save the world , gg ez.
Fuck me.

Shows like Naruto, Bleach, and Boku no Hero Academy are atrociously bad, and nobody with an IQ over 70 would be willing to watching thousands of episodes of them like you do. Like I understand that the average Isekai isn't very groundbreaking or well written, but to consider something like fucking Naruto a 9/10 time anime, while talking from a point of condescension towards others is absolutely hilarious shows a complete lack of self awareness.
Apr 17, 2018 1:51 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
Xaelath said:

Fuck me.

Shows like Naruto, Bleach, and Boku no Hero Academy are atrociously bad, and nobody with an IQ over 70 would be willing to watching thousands of episodes of them like you do. Like I understand that the average Isekai isn't very groundbreaking or well written, but to consider something like fucking Naruto a 9/10 time anime, while talking from a point of condescension towards others is absolutely hilarious shows a complete lack of self awareness.

Those two doesn't have thousand of episodes..
You're exaggerating.
There's in line between enjoyment and technical quality, i gave Fate Apocrypha 10/10 despite knowing how bad it was and clusterfuck story i know that, yet i enjoyed it because I like some character, some last few fight were amazing least for me even Gigguk said so though again people's would care if who is who again?

I know the anime was bad at least gave us a good ending which to shows appreciation after years of following it, tbh i don't even watch the anime after a certain arc because i only did was read the Manga. It was a great story , no dumbed down characters, memorable fight, original skills, character development, though in the end people have mixed feelings with asspull power or Overpowered as fuck.

I don't really read bleach, neither attempt to watch it, maybe i did tag something there i don't know i don't care.

BnHA otherwise have these vibes that similiar to Naruto start out simple give a similiar target like a "typical shounen would" despite his limitations he inherit one of the powerful quirk.

I don't felt like it's bad, why would it be bad? Does it looks bad? The fans sure some weird or retarded, even in reddit BnHA was taken down due some vulgar stuff though i never knew or care because i just got the information.
It's definitely better than Fairy tail or Nanatsu no Taizai.
Why is that? Nanatsu no Taizai main problems is when the story could explain straight they didn't, characters are dumbed down, they're strong but treated like shit i remember making complain thread about it.
And these fairy tail.. is just downright dumb. Nakama Power everywhere.

Before we talk about the "Fans" why don't we "Discuss" about the anime/Manga itself.

And oh god i cant believe someone did hate BnHA because it was "Bad" , you're exactly how SAO hater likes but when asked why it was bad, are there reason why it's popular why it has a good ideas in the beginning but done wrong , don't know the answer for it.
Might as well facepalm now.

I hate talking to a retarded, might as well talks to a wall.

Hello wall, man you're looking smooth as fuck today. Oh no you're cold, need some heater? I know it's a rainy days but we got to deal with it. Be strong wall, we need you.
Apr 17, 2018 1:53 AM
Aug 2016
Welp, even the word "isekai" reeks of boredom at this point.
Apr 17, 2018 2:04 AM
Jan 2014
Xaelath said:
ItsXolo said:

You're exaggerating.
There's in line between enjoyment and technical quality, i gave Fate Apocrypha 10/10 despite knowing how bad it was and clusterfuck story i know that, yet i enjoyed it because I like some character, some last few fight were amazing least for me even Gigguk said so though again people's would care if who is who again?

I know the anime was bad at least gave us a good ending which to shows appreciation after years of following it, tbh i don't even watch the anime after a certain arc because i only did was read the Manga. It was a great story , no dumbed down characters, memorable fight, original skills, character development, though in the end people have mixed feelings with asspull power or Overpowered as fuck.

I don't really read bleach, neither attempt to watch it, maybe i did tag something there i don't know i don't care.

BnHA otherwise have these vibes that similiar to Naruto start out simple give a similiar target like a "typical shounen would" despite his limitations he inherit one of the powerful quirk.

I don't felt like it's bad, why would it be bad? Does it looks bad? The fans sure some weird or retarded, even in reddit BnHA was taken down due some vulgar stuff though i never knew or care because i just got the information.
Why is that? Nanatsu no Taizai main problems is when the story could explain straight they didn't, characters are dumbed down, they're strong but treated like shit i remember making complain thread about it.

Before we talk about the "Fans" why don't we "Discuss" about the anime/Manga itself.

And oh god i cant believe someone did hate BnHA because it was "Bad" , you're exactly how SAO hater likes but when asked why it was bad, are there reason why it's popular why it has a good ideas in the beginning but done wrong , don't know the answer for it.

Hello wall, man you're looking smooth as fuck today. Oh no you're cold, need some heater? I know it's a rainy days but we got to deal with it. Be strong wall, we need you.

There are a lot of things that make Shonen Jump shit bad.

Every modern Jump shonen runs on the exact same conveyor belt formula of predictable character arcs that always start, progress, and end the exact same way.

First a character is introduced as a cool and capable badass. After a few episodes, it turns out this cool and capable badass actually has some baggage shown in a flashback from his childhood. "I'm not good at relying on others", "I don't believe in myself", "I've got problems with my parents" etc. The specific baggage they have differs from character to character but it's largely irrelevant to how the character arc goes.

Eventually this character will be put up against a wall, and the only way out is to mentally overcome the baggage that has been presented. There will be a big epic 'hype' action scene where the character explicitly narrates himself overcoming his problem, while various flashbacks are presented to remind the viewer that this is the part where character development happens. "I've never been able to get along with others. I thought I was better than them. But now I see it. I was wrong. I have to let go of the past and look to the future." It all climaxes with one big moment where the music stops, the character yells out his special attack "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT PUUUUUUUUUUNCH!!!". The silence stays for a few moments, followed by the crowd cheering or whatever big noise is applicable in the context. Bring the next character off the conveyor belt, rinse and repeat over the next episode or two.

Naruto, Kuroko, BnHA, Haikyuu, Soma, and basically every other battle or sports show that started publishing in Jump post-2000 follows this exact formula to a T with no variation whatsoever. If you've seen a single character arc in any of these shows, you've basically seen the entirety of all of them. It's creatively bankrupt, and it's as if you could use a computer program to generate these arcs just by filling in the boxes and clicking 'Generate Character Arc'.

Shonen Jump authors aren't interested in telling stories, they're interested in remaining serialized. They do whatever they can to keep their manga going as long as possible so that they can keep cashing those sweet Shonen Jump paychecks, and hopefully build a franchise from which they can live off of merchandise royalties for the rest of their lives. That's why they all do these same stupid repetitive character arcs. It's a simple and straightforward way to keep your manga going without ever having to challenge yourself or write something unconventional. It just writes itself, can go on forever, and lets you remain serialized as long as possible. When Urobuchi wrote Madoka, he had a specific story he wanted to tell, so he wrote that story to be only as long as it needed to be, and then afterwards he went on to do other things and write other stories. That's how good stories are built. A desire to tell a story, rather than a desire to remain serialized.

That all just scratches the surface of one of the many things that make shonen so bad. I could write another dozen paragraphs about badly shonen violates the "Show, don't tell" principle, but if you're dumb enough to watch 700 episodes of Naruto and give it a 9/10, then you're dumb enough that you're not going to care anyway.
Apr 17, 2018 2:59 AM

Aug 2014
ItsXolo said:
Xaelath said:

You're exaggerating.

Every modern Jump shonen runs on the exact same conveyor belt formula of predictable character arcs that always start, progress, and end the exact same way.

First a character is introduced as a cool and capable badass. After a few episodes, it turns out this cool and capable badass actually has some baggage shown in a flashback from his childhood. "I'm not good at relying on others", "I don't believe in myself", "I've got problems with my parents" etc. The specific baggage they have differs from character to character but it's largely irrelevant to how the character arc goes.

Eventually this character will be put up against a wall, and the only way out is to mentally overcome the baggage that has been presented. There will be a big epic 'hype' action scene where the character explicitly narrates himself overcoming his problem, while various flashbacks are presented to remind the viewer that this is the part where character development happens. "I've never been able to get along with others. I thought I was better than them. But now I see it. I was wrong. I have to let go of the past and look to the future." It all climaxes with one big moment where the music stops, the character yells out his special attack "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT PUUUUUUUUUUNCH!!!". The silence stays for a few moments, followed by the crowd cheering or whatever big noise is applicable in the context. Bring the next character off the conveyor belt, rinse and repeat over the next episode or two.

Naruto, Kuroko, BnHA, Haikyuu, Soma, and basically every other battle or sports show that started publishing in Jump post-2000 follows this exact formula to a T with no variation whatsoever. If you've seen a single character arc in any of these shows, you've basically seen the entirety of all of them. It's creatively bankrupt, and it's as if you could use a computer program to generate these arcs just by filling in the boxes and clicking 'Generate Character Arc'.

Shonen Jump authors aren't interested in telling stories, they're interested in remaining serialized. They do whatever they can to keep their manga going as long as possible so that they can keep cashing those sweet Shonen Jump paychecks, and hopefully build a franchise from which they can live off of merchandise royalties for the rest of their lives. That's why they all do these same stupid repetitive character arcs. It's a simple and straightforward way to keep your manga going without ever having to challenge yourself or write something unconventional. It just writes itself, can go on forever, and lets you remain serialized as long as possible. When Urobuchi wrote Madoka, he had a specific story he wanted to tell, so he wrote that story to be only as long as it needed to be, and then afterwards he went on to do other things and write other stories. That's how good stories are built. A desire to tell a story, rather than a desire to remain serialized.

That all just scratches the surface of one of the many things that make shonen so bad. I could write another dozen paragraphs about badly shonen violates the "Show, don't tell" principle, but if you're dumb enough to watch 700 episodes of Naruto and give it a 9/10, then you're dumb enough that you're not going to care anyway.

Impressive

You have a point there but rating doesnt really matter to me as it always come to enjoyments , i wouldn't be so harsh about some stuff unless it was really bad to the point it piss me off.
Maybe in my list it would be average 5-6 to you.
"Maybe you're right, but doesn't mean i am wrong".
I was explaining isekai here and you picked shounen as the discussion, clearly a derails.

And Madoka wasn't a Shounen though.. i haven't watch it either it's on my list sitting duck waiting to be watched.
And i am sure there's a better comparison than that which is completely unrelated than being good or masterpiece.

Well yes I don't care, BnHA wasn't that bad, so does Naruto (Manga).
Maybe before checking down my list and "hey look this faggot watch shounen and rate it high then compare braindead isekai to shounen fags, what a hypocrite asshole!", you should discuss and ask.

Looking to other people profile and checking their stuff as weapon for an argument is a clear answer that you ran out something to discuss before explaining out your opinion.
Damn reminds me how steam forum fanfag on some game looks like.

Never again.
Apr 17, 2018 3:56 AM

Mar 2015

*sips hater tears*

Is what it is. Isekai is the prevalent fad right now. Give it a few more years and something will replace it. Then people can (read: will) bitch about the new thing, guaranteed.
Apr 17, 2018 4:00 AM

May 2017
Isekai will wax in the spotlight for a couple more years and fall from grace a lot like mecha did once the current generation outgrows the genre. One type of anime is bound to be more popular than the rest, it's just isekai's turn in the spotlight for now
Apr 17, 2018 7:10 AM

Feb 2015
It's popular in Japan so we have to deal with it too.

What I find really boring in these shows that drives me away from them is that character is usually op when it comes to power or has some op tool.
Characters from the other world have to earn their powers and MCs just show up and kick everyone's asses anyway.
Whole thing becomes even worse if it's harem.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Apr 17, 2018 7:18 AM
Dec 2017
Isekai is only getting old for the western consumers.

Japan loves it because it gives an imaginary and unrealistic but larger than life element to a story that panders no-life otakus with a sad reality and hopeless perspective on society that they're trapped into there that they crave to escape said reality and perspective of their lives.

Isekai is only needed when the consumer couldn't relate to a character in any other way, this is what Overlord does. We can't relate to an evil undead king that kills people so he's given a background of formerly being a human.
Apr 17, 2018 8:00 AM
Sep 2013
Zakuen said:

Japan loves it because it gives an imaginary and unrealistic but larger than life element to a story that panders no-life otakus with a sad reality and hopeless perspective on society that they're trapped into there that they crave to escape said reality and perspective of their lives.

Isekai is only needed when the consumer couldn't relate to a character in any other way, this is what Overlord does. We can't relate to an evil undead king that kills people so he's given a background of formerly being a human.

Isekai genre is extremely popular on the western fan site such as MAL or Chrunchy roll if you look at sheer viewership or member number though.Some people who say isekai is not popular among western fans are fooled by hate comments.
I'm talking about among equally popular materials in Japan, isekai genre tends to have a lot larger viewership on western sites like MAL or crunchy roll than other genres.

The ones actually not popular among western fans are the ones which are rarely talked about here.
Look at Gurazeni the baseball seinen manga adaptation of this season for example. It is 150k copies per volume series in Japan which is one of the popular source material for a late-night anime but few people watch it here and only have about 5k members.

Even obscure isekai LN adaptations that selling less than 10k copies per volume have at least 20k members here.
umashikanekoApr 17, 2018 8:44 AM
Apr 17, 2018 8:40 AM

Nov 2012
ItsXolo said:
Xaelath said:

You're exaggerating.

I don't even like Naruto but if you think that in 700 episodes it only has to offer what you described and never once did anything right or exciting then you are the dumb one here.

Compare the plot of Zabuza arc, the Chuunin exams+Konoha invasion, the Itachi arc, the Pain arc, etc, and you'll notice the difference in writing and themes.

And lol at using Urobuchi as a comparison, the guy who spent a large of his career writing porn games where extreme horror and shock value are the main appeal.

Rock Lee alone is a better character than anyone from Madoka Magica.
Apr 17, 2018 9:27 AM

Oct 2014
SuperRed said:
ItsXolo said:

I don't even like Naruto but if you think that in 700 episodes it only has to offer what you described and never once did anything right or exciting then you are the dumb one here.

Compare the plot of Zabuza arc, the Chuunin exams+Konoha invasion, the Itachi arc, the Pain arc, etc, and you'll notice the difference in writing and themes.

And lol at using Urobuchi as a comparison, the guy who spent a large of his career writing porn games where extreme horror and shock value are the main appeal.

Rock Lee alone is a better character than anyone from Madoka Magica.

The funny thing is that he criticize Shounen jump and then Gave Fairy Tail a high score.
FT did all what generic Shounen jump series did but only worse.
Apr 18, 2018 5:40 AM
Dec 2017
umashikaneko said:
Isekai genre is extremely popular on the western fan site such as MAL or Chrunchy roll if you look at sheer viewership or member number though.Some people who say isekai is not popular among western fans are fooled by hate comments.
I'm talking about among equally popular materials in Japan, isekai genre tends to have a lot larger viewership on western sites like MAL or crunchy roll than other genres.

The ones actually not popular among western fans are the ones which are rarely talked about here.
Look at Gurazeni the baseball seinen manga adaptation of this season for example. It is 150k copies per volume series in Japan which is one of the popular source material for a late-night anime but few people watch it here and only have about 5k members.

Even obscure isekai LN adaptations that selling less than 10k copies per volume have at least 20k members here.

I guess it still does panders even to the western audience. Doesn't surprise me but seemed really disappointing.
Apr 18, 2018 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah, there is a lot of isekai lately, this season there are a grand total of 0 isekai adaptations.

umashikaneko said:
Zakuen said:

The japanese twitter account of Gurazeni anime has less than 1000 followers whereas the account of a "obscure" isekai adaptation like Isekai Smartphone have more than 20000.

And "obscure" isekai LNs like Isekai Maou have sold more than one million copies and Isekai Cheat Magician more than 850k.
Apr 18, 2018 9:18 AM
Sep 2013
YorukaWaifu said:
umashikaneko said:

The japanese twitter account of Gurazeni anime has less than 1000 followers whereas the account of a "obscure" isekai adaptation like Isekai Smartphone have more than 20000.

And "obscure" isekai LNs like Isekai Maou have sold more than one million copies and Isekai Cheat Magician more than 850k.

YES, Japanese core anime fans taste(niconico,2ch,twitter) and western core fans(reddit,Mal,crunchyroll) taste are very similar as in both prefer otaku works.

I'was talking about per volume.If you talk about total sales, gurazeni surpassed 4 million about 2 years ago.

I think western anime/manga/LN popularity is similar to popularity among Japanese anime fans rather than general public.

It is totally ok but if some people says Isekai genre is not popular among western fans, it sounds stupid because western fans are much more familiar with "isekai" than anime/Novel/manga that are considered more popular by general public in Japan for example few people here knew gurazeni but a lot of people knew Tate no yusha here.
umashikanekoApr 18, 2018 2:05 PM
Apr 18, 2018 12:47 PM

Jul 2017
probably another droped on 1 to 2 episodes on my list if I finish the episode, that is.
Apr 18, 2018 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
zal said:

can one piece be considered isekai?
Apr 18, 2018 2:36 PM

Feb 2015
It's FB, a social media who'd go to full length to basically kill everyone who'd defend Ecchi, "yet another..." emphasize on the long lasting hate that isekai series in general brings to the community as a whole. I'd congratulate the OP for that knowing how to fully bait users.

Anyway, my input on this is like the one I mentioned first. I do not give a shit about isekai hater in general. I will tolerate and justify their hate towards the genre but on the larger scope for them shouting every "change" there is, would be ignored.

Anyway, a news basically means as it is and I've seen it on MAL. Quite looking forward to the series to be honest.

More topics from this board

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - 6 hours ago

11 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Apr 26

38 by BlondieLottie »»
12 minutes ago

» Ai Spambots

billybub - 5 hours ago

27 by billybub »»
13 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

35 by perseii »»
28 minutes ago

» What's the craziest plot twist you've ever come across in an anime?

Nanami0007 - 2 hours ago

8 by Rhae »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.