Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2018 12:45 PM

Jan 2018
he created my top 3 mangas and also created my all time favorite anime. I just find him to be the most talented mangaka out there.

I just want to know your thoughts on him, guys.

is it a YAY or NAY?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 7, 2018 12:46 PM

Sep 2017
preetetoonius as hell prefer hiro mashima
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 7, 2018 12:56 PM

Jul 2015
dropped monster after 12ep
dropped century boys after 15 chapter

i don't like his works but "elitists" do
Apr 7, 2018 1:31 PM

Apr 2017
He's a great mangaka, I'm currently reading 20th century boys and pluto and both are pretty entertaining in their own ways.

An absolute favourite, I like most of his works.

Now, I'd like to know your opinion on this @frostbytes kun.
S-quare22Apr 7, 2018 1:36 PM

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Apr 7, 2018 1:33 PM
Aug 2016
He's a damn snack and tbh his works might make me read manga.

tragedydesu said:

:*
Apr 7, 2018 1:35 PM
Oct 2017
i think he invented 3D anime is the best 3D anime that has exist now
Apr 7, 2018 1:39 PM

Nov 2015
One of the best storytellers that has ever graced the medium. 20th Century Boys is pure bae.
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Apr 7, 2018 1:39 PM

May 2015
I absolutely loved Monster but I'm yet to try any of his other works. Pluto will probably be first up.

tragedydesu said:
I really hope this is bait lol
Apr 7, 2018 1:43 PM

Nov 2015
tragedydesu said:
I really hope this is bait lol

you can never tell with tragedydesu
sugasweetnitmareApr 7, 2018 1:56 PM
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Apr 7, 2018 1:43 PM

Jun 2017
So we're freaking out about others opinions now? Hm.

I've heard they're pretty good so i'm planning to watch/read them at a later date when I have time.

On a side note, wouldn't this be more appropriate for manga discussion?
I'm a shitposter for fun
Apr 7, 2018 1:54 PM

Apr 2017
ZionPulse said:

I've heard they're pretty good so i'm planning to watch/read them at a later date when I have time.

But He worked on monster (the anime) so both boards are appropriate if you ask me.

Not so sure because I've heard too many rumors about this topic.

"elles sont bien noires

Apr 7, 2018 1:59 PM

Jun 2017
S-quare22 said:
ZionPulse said:

But He worked on monster (the anime) so both boards are appropriate if you ask me.

Not so sure because I've heard too many rumors about this topic.
But the person talks about his manga in greater quantities than anime. They also refer to him as a mangaka rather than an original creator.
ZionPulseApr 7, 2018 2:23 PM
I'm a shitposter for fun
Apr 7, 2018 2:00 PM

Aug 2015
The only works I've read from him are Monster and 20th Century Boys. Monster was fantastic, on the other hand 20th Century Boys left a bit to be desired, but I still found it entertaining. I adore his distinct character art style, it isn't the best out there but the expressions and environments are superb.

And from what I've seen of him on Urasawa Naoki no Manben and his interviews, he seems like a pretty chill guy. So, yay for me.

tragedydesu said:

This mentality is retarded, and I hope for your sake that you're joking.
Apr 7, 2018 2:05 PM

Feb 2010
He's a fantastic author/mangaka. I loved Monster, loved 20th Century Boys even more, Pluto was great as well, even Yawara was fun, albeit kinda slow and repetitive and carried by the side characters. Can't wait to finally get to Billy Bat once the finally volume is available.

He's not my favorite Mangaka tho. Between him, Tezuka, Asano and Taniguchi I honestly have a hard time picking a favorite, but if I had to it'd probably be Taniguchi. Summit of the Gods is just my favorite manga of all time, and he did so much more than that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2018 2:06 PM

Jan 2013
tragedydesu said:

Wow, you've literally seen nothing out of those series then. Wasted and also reminding that you apparently have shit taste. :^)
Apr 7, 2018 2:09 PM

Jan 2018
Klad said:
tragedydesu said:

Wow, you've literally seen nothing out of those series then. Wasted and also reminding that you apparently have shit taste. :^)

So may I ask if you're a fan of him? Or why do you like his works?
Apr 7, 2018 2:11 PM

Jan 2018
Pullman said:
He's a fantastic author/mangaka. I loved Monster, loved 20th Century Boys even more, Pluto was great as well, even Yawara was fun, albeit kinda slow and repetitive and carried by the side characters. Can't wait to finally get to Billy Bat once the finally volume is available.

He's not my favorite Mangaka tho. Between him, Tezuka, Asano and Taniguchi I honestly have a hard time picking a favorite, but if I had to it'd probably be Taniguchi. Summit of the Gods is just my favorite manga of all time, and he did so much more than that.

Billy bat is a masterpiece, naoki used symbolism for the first time in this manga

Bily bat is really thought provoking and insane, I highly recommend it, fellow cowboy bebop fan.
Apr 7, 2018 2:12 PM

Jan 2018
Signifie said:
The only works I've read from him are Monster and 20th Century Boys. Monster was fantastic, on the other hand 20th Century Boys left a bit to be desired, but I still found it entertaining. I adore his distinct character art style, it isn't the best out there but the expressions and environments are superb.

And from what I've seen of him on Urasawa Naoki no Manben and his interviews, he seems like a pretty chill guy. So, yay for me.

tragedydesu said:

Why though? 20th century boys was almost flawless and addictive.
Apr 7, 2018 2:15 PM

Jan 2018
tragedydesu said:

Do you even know the meaning of elitism or are you just memeing?
Apr 7, 2018 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
losmena said:
Klad said:

So may I ask if you're a fan of him? Or why do you like his works?
yeah, you can see from my fav. mangakas in my profile.
I like the way he unfolds his stories and he's created two of the best antagonists ever
Apr 7, 2018 2:21 PM

Feb 2010
losmena said:
Pullman said:

Billy bat is a masterpiece, naoki used symbolism for the first time in this manga

Bily bat is really thought provoking and insane, I highly recommend it, fellow cowboy bebop fan.

yeah as I said, I already got 18 volumes on my shelf, the 19th came out in January and the final one is coming out in Mai so I'll most likely get to it during the summer.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2018 2:23 PM
Apr 2017
monster is the only thing i watched and i love it
so the guy is ok
Apr 7, 2018 2:39 PM

Jun 2014
His works don't look like anything that I would want to watch.

Apr 7, 2018 2:45 PM
Jan 2017
I have watched monster as of now and it was extremely well written. Kind of slow at times but those 74 episodes were worth it. Looking forward to pluto, Billy bat and 20th century boys.
Apr 7, 2018 3:09 PM

Jul 2015
I do like the fact that he's definitely writing for adults, I sure loved Pluto, and visually, he's quite pleasing, in a realistic and not very fancy style.

But there's a but. Mostly his repetitive gimmicks, wich become unbearable in the long run for me (Monster's flashbacks, people shaking when Johan is mentionned, offscreen gunshots for cheap suspense), and also his habit of not showing the action, and... said action not being particularly thrilling when it actually happens on-screen (Literally 90% of the fights of Pluto were skipped in favor of more shaking characters, and I'm butthurt at having to endure a long-ass "Tenma learns to use a gun" arc, to then see... the various action scenes involving guns, wich tried to look down-to-earth but were neither exciting or very credible. And yes, this includes THAT Runge scene.

Basically, Urasawa in 5 volumes? Yes! Urasawa in 18 volumes or 64 episodes? Huuuh, I think I'll pass and go read Gunnm again.

@simo796 Nice compatibility we have there, I thik I'll stay away from 20th Century Boys (^:
DeathkoApr 7, 2018 4:03 PM
Apr 7, 2018 3:12 PM
Jan 2013
he's breaddy grood
just waiting for the fine time to pick up billy bat
gone bai bai
Apr 7, 2018 3:16 PM

Jul 2015
I didnt know him till now because you made me search for him , and get KNOWLEDGE about him so I have any thoughts. I read that he is a great mangak.However I never read any manga made by him , but if I ever read one, it would be PINEAPPLE ARMY for sure.
Apr 7, 2018 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
S-quare22 said:
He's a great mangaka, I'm currently reading 20th century boys and pluto and both are pretty entertaining in their own ways.

An absolute favourite, I like most of his works.

Now, I'd like to know your opinion on this @frostbytes kun.

Wew a tag out of nowhere, didn't expect that.

Anyway I wrote this a few days ago when one of my friends asked me, feel free to disagree since it's just my opinion.

removed-userApr 7, 2018 4:23 PM
Apr 7, 2018 4:26 PM

Oct 2013
I only read monster, but yeah it's good and i think I'll read the rest if i feel like it
Apr 7, 2018 4:34 PM
May 2017
I've only seen Monster but that one is one of my favorites, so naturally I will look into his other works eventually.

Side note: I love his character designs, most particularly the noses on his characters.
Apr 7, 2018 4:51 PM

Oct 2007
I'd say he's pretty awesome to be honest. I've seen people criticize him quite a lot, I think he has some gimmicks, but I don't mind them and I like that he's really good at keeping the reader's attention.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 7, 2018 4:53 PM
Sep 2017
He's very talented.

(NOT ENOUGH CHARACTERS)
Apr 7, 2018 4:59 PM

Aug 2015
losmena said:
Signifie said:

Why though? 20th century boys was almost flawless and addictive.

Addictive, sure, but not flawless. Fortunately Frostbytes and topazio already covered my main complaints so I don't feel the need to expand on them that much.

While the earlier stages of the story are well-crafted and start out strong, it ultimately falls apart as it nears the end, particularly around the second time skip (I think it was the second, anyways). Both Monster and 20th Century Boys have a sizeable cast and the scope of the stories grow greatly as they progress however 20CB is notably weaker in these two regards as characters and subplots are introduced only to be set aside. It feels like some only served to extend the length of the series and drag it out, more than to fulfill any meaningful purpose, which is a killer for a 22 volume mystery. As a result, I felt the ending itself didn't pay off and left me feeling unsatisfied. I do have some other minor grievances as well but they're minor compared to those mentioned.

Still, I'd say it's worth reading for any mystery fan. I'd also like to give it a second chance in the future and re-read it.
Apr 7, 2018 5:04 PM

Oct 2015
Aslt said:
He's a damn snack and tbh his works might make me read manga.
DxD made you read a light novel 😏.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Apr 7, 2018 5:07 PM

Dec 2015
Narrative and storytelling master hands down.
Apr 7, 2018 5:53 PM

Mar 2015
amazing story setter but suffer from developing story because introducing too many conflict, side story, and character that made pace and ending suffer also sometimes can be repetitive at times... while his art is not amazing, he can convince me with amazing simplistic expression... tho his background is excelecnt, i can't tell if it's his own works, or assistant who made it... as his tendency to show less, sometimes, he is too rely on it make it unsatisfying and abrupt....

personaly
pluto>>20th cebtury boys>>yawara=monster=master keaton>billy bat (soo far, but looking at his record, i don't think it will getting better)>>21st century boys

the lowest ranked 7 btw.... that's showing how excelent he is... i havent watch any of his anime adaptation btw...
KumaApr 7, 2018 5:57 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 7, 2018 9:45 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
tragedydesu said:

and elitists don't think attack on titan and death note are masterpieces but you do
besides, I've never seen monster but there's a very high probability that its far superior to death note
Apr 7, 2018 10:25 PM

Dec 2015
I love his work even though I've only read Monster and a good chunk of 20th Century Boys. His anime adaptations can feel a little dragged though.
Apr 7, 2018 10:31 PM

Feb 2017
I only have watched Monster so far and it was damn great. I'm on Pluto right now and really got me into it
ReeeiApr 7, 2018 11:31 PM
Apr 7, 2018 10:57 PM

May 2015
One of my favorite mangaka and still at the top of my list mostly because of Monster. I love how he writes characters (especially when taking in account the side characters), how he builds up tension and how he draws facial expressions.
However I'd say resolutions tend to be his weakness (ending of a manga in particular).

As for being the most talented mangaka I am not sure about that, Inoue Takehiko has become one of my favorites recently after reading Real (+ Slam Dunk and Vagabond beforehand), but he's another author with frustrating hiatuses.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 11:23 PM

Mar 2014
20th Century Boys felt kind of plodding after reading just one volume, but I absolutely loved Pluto. It kind of makes me want to go back to 20th Century Boys.

His art is fantastic, as is what I've read of his writing. I still need to read more of his work before coming to a consensus on my opinion about him, though.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 7, 2018 11:28 PM
Jan 2016
Really talented, his attention to detail is pretty amazing especially the environment like Monster and how he portrays Germany. Plus his characters have so much depth and so complex, its definitely worth the read and watch.

I've read 20th/21st Century Boys
watched Monster English dubbed
read Pluto
read Billy Bat

his latest mini-series Mujirushi that wasn't that good but still wasn't bad

the biggest criticism is he hates digital manga, so u can only buy his series physical it doesn't stop pirates but waste a lot of potentials.

Mystery at times it drags on for a little too long, in my opinion, the most concise one is really Pluto, however, monster and 20th had much more going on.

People compare him alot to lost i don't really think thats fair because the TV heads had no idea what they were doing just added mystery however Naoki plans his work efficiently.

His endings are usually a problem, they not bad but underwhelming for what came like Pluto is pretty much a perfect series however it did needed 2 more chapters to conclude properly, 21st century was kinda an apology for 20th ending however still had some problems in my opinion. His best was monster that was literally great the ending problems usually lies to his other series, however, monster is pretty much perfect for what it is.

Art is fairly unique from other artists, however, his character is often too simplistic or hard to tell apart. The Monster anime had that advantage of hair, color voice acting... However when reading 20th... sometimes its hard to remember which character is which because it's so long and it blends in art style.

Is he perfect nope, however, is he a genius, yes, the amount of classics he has written is amazing? How creates some of the most lovable and relatable protagonists and create some of the most complex antagonists. His secondary characters are always well integrated and is an interesting perspective of the story. if u wanted to see one series that basically defines him that is monster. He's been writing manga since 1985, guillermo del toro loved monster so much he wanted to do an HBO series of it.

All his works i've listed range except for Mujirushi ranged from Great to Masterpiece of storytelling, his pacing may be slow for others however thats most likely intentional and you don't wanna rush read or watching his series really take your time.

Apr 7, 2018 11:52 PM

Dec 2012
Genius author who writes very immersive stories with great characters. I love Monster and Master Keaton and the 20th Century Boys live action films were great too.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 8, 2018 12:01 AM

Jul 2015
-Judar- said:
tragedydesu said:

and elitists don't think attack on titan and death note are masterpieces but you do
besides, I've never seen monster but there's a very high probability that its far superior to death note

That was just my opinion and i'm not afraid of express it
I can't care less if everyone like monster

Death note hooked me with it first ep
in the other hand monster was painfully boring
nothing in the world can change my opinion about it
Apr 8, 2018 12:09 AM
Jul 2017
good art, good plot, but not very good with how he writes and maintains his stories, still a yay
Apr 8, 2018 12:39 AM

Aug 2014
Admittedly i've watched only watched half of it, but I couldn't see what people find interesting in monster. It didn't give me any reason to care about anything that happened so far.
Apr 8, 2018 12:55 AM

Mar 2016
he can start a great story and continue a great story but he has no clue on how to finish a great story
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Apr 8, 2018 9:39 AM

Apr 2017
Clebardman said:
I do like the fact that he's definitely writing for adults, I sure loved Pluto, and visually, he's quite pleasing, in a realistic and not very fancy style.

But there's a but. Mostly his repetitive gimmicks, wich become unbearable in the long run for me (Monster's flashbacks, people shaking when Johan is mentionned, offscreen gunshots for cheap suspense), and also his habit of not showing the action, and... said action not being particularly thrilling when it actually happens on-screen (Literally 90% of the fights of Pluto were skipped in favor of more shaking characters, and I'm butthurt at having to endure a long-ass "Tenma learns to use a gun" arc, to then see... the various action scenes involving guns, wich tried to look down-to-earth but were neither exciting or very credible. And yes, this includes THAT Runge scene.

Basically, Urasawa in 5 volumes? Yes! Urasawa in 18 volumes or 64 episodes? Huuuh, I think I'll pass and go read Gunnm again.

@simo796 Nice compatibility we have there, I thik I'll stay away from 20th Century Boys (^:

but clebard senpaii..there's something wrong here.

utena has too many re-used scenes and repititive content (the flashbacks, unnecessary dialogues and introducing uninteresting characters). it was also really slow and very very repititive..

I see you're also complaining about his unsatisfying endings though utena and NGE have the most unsatisfying/confusing endings I've seen in my entire life.

and why do you care about the action? I mean...why add cheap action scenes to a mystery show? I also want to point out that nge, flcl and utena have bad action scenes. the psychological aspects saved these shows tbh.

and the "tenma learning how to use guns" arc was like 3 episodes long? like, seriously?
I think you disliked monster because you aren't into long stuff and nothing shocks you. unexpected scenes is what makes monster unique and entertaining, I would argue.

S-quare22Apr 8, 2018 10:53 AM

"elles sont bien noires

Apr 8, 2018 9:46 AM

Feb 2017
Urasawa's success is mainly based on his three famous mystery manga : 20th Century Boys, Monster and Pluto. He is quite good at writing the build-ups for his stories : he sets up interesting characters and settings and introduces the mystery elements at an effective pace. However, the acme of the story is where he usually fails ; the situations he sets up are too unrealistic and complex for him to be able to resolve them in a satisfying manner, which is obviously a huge problem : when you write a mystery, you are essentially preparing your plot and characters to a resolution that is a huge payoff for these characters and for the reader, and that makes everything seem coherent. Urasawa always chooses to prioritize the journey over the goal, at the risk of seeing the entire edifice of his story crumble, which has worked wonders for him as a number of manga and anime fans love his works despite their major flaws. Personally, I also think he is quite bad at writing believable and interesting antagonists ; for example, J. Liebert and Friend act ridiculously and are defined almost essentially by what we don't know about them. (Their reasons for acting as they do end up being as absurd as the way they act.) What's more, Urasawa's usage of plot devices is severely lacking in subtlety and it often seems to me that he is actually writing stories for teenagers and not adults ; his plots are full of coincidences, and his characters are largely based on conventions, but nonetheless some of them are very likeable. I suppose one could say he uses the medium at its fullest potential, so much so that it becomes artificial. Lastly, I think he is a very good drawer : his characters and settings look great and favor immersion greatly.
thizlasAug 19, 2018 5:22 AM
Apr 8, 2018 10:27 AM

Feb 2016
@S-quare22 @Clebardman

It probably boils down to Ikuhara's repetition not being to your liking, as well as Urasawa's not being to his. I personally love the ZUM sequence and Mikage's seminar footage

Utena's ending confusing you isn't really the show's fault. The ending itself wraps everything perfectly without letting loose ends

The dialogue in the last third becomes so ambiguous that you have people analysing what it meant untill now. It may be that confused you, but again it's not the show's fault...

Characters either have their own arc or are an essentital part of the duelist's struggles. Shiori and Rukka for Juri, Kozue for Miki, and so it goes. You have some "extra" characters but they have their own importance, especially in the black rose arc, and are tied to the duelists; directly or not.

The most "extra" case could be Tatsuya since he's just tied to Wakaba, but the rest - even Nanami's slaves - have their impact on the main cast

I also want to add that Nanami fillers are absolutely amazing
llorandoApr 8, 2018 10:34 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

234 by FZREMAKE »»
2 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 51 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

18 by logopolis »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

31 by SgtBateMan »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.