Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 31, 2018 5:16 PM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok so we have another blast from the past today! Started out extremely strong. I cant believe this is a Toei show seeing how fluid and detailed these characters are. I love the spookiness of this all even tho its on the childish side. Mana is one tough chick! Def braver than the rest of the boys. The unsettling soundtrack also helps a ton. Daddy Eyeball stole the show for me! Well I can't wait to follow this weekly. If you liked it make sure to also watch the previous series!
Mar 31, 2018 5:25 PM

Nov 2011
That is one...strange yet catchy song. The introduction of this episode definitely had my attention so far.

I haven't seen the original series but it was easy to jump into this show. The atmosphere is pretty lighthearted and the character cast seems like ones I want to know more. The supernatural stuff the show is pulling out so far is entertaining to watch.

Medama is a funny little guy.
Mar 31, 2018 5:33 PM

Oct 2015
Looks like we're starting off with the episode of people turning into trees. I hope this new version will finally get subtitled.
Mar 31, 2018 5:41 PM

Apr 2014
TaiFerret said:
Looks like we're starting off with the episode of people turning into trees. I hope this new version will finally get subtitled.
ur wish has been granted http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/03/31-1/crunchyroll-adds-gegege-no-kitaro-to-spring-simulcast-lineup
Mar 31, 2018 5:49 PM

Jun 2013
Ge, ge, gegege no ge~ LOL kinda catchy XD

Nice 1st episode. Looks interesting.
Kitan~!
Mar 31, 2018 8:07 PM

May 2013
Even with Dragon Ball Super done I'm gonna still hear Goku every saturday night
Mar 31, 2018 9:13 PM

May 2015
I'm not familiar with this franchise whatsoever, but I loved the first episode of this reboot. Good atmosphere, nice art and animation, interesting episode plot, likeable characters and a funky OP and ED. Definitely looking forward to seeing more.

♡ artist
サコ
Mar 31, 2018 9:36 PM

Jan 2015
Really dug this first episode... My first encounter with anything Kitaro related, was the 2007 live action movie, (as well as the film The Great Yokai War, wherein he gets a brief mention, if memory serves). The look and style of this new series is pretty spectacular, to me. Kind of reminds me of the classic anime style Ushio to Tora had, mixing in a little reminiscence of Charles Addams' art style in the character design of the titular Kitaro. Also, the OP song is a total throwback to the opening of the aforementioned movie -- at least, it's very similar, as far as I can remember. I didn't know whether or not I'd want to watch it, but as of this posting, I think it's going on my watch list.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Mar 31, 2018 10:35 PM

Apr 2016
it was pretty interesting so far, I'll have to see a few more episodes before I decide if I want to stick with it, but it was a solid first episode. I like the art style and character designs, Mana is super cute <3
Mar 31, 2018 10:44 PM

Nov 2010
Eh, nothing too special.
Mar 31, 2018 10:45 PM

Feb 2013
It's my first time watching this franchise and man, I really liked it. The designs are pretty good, just like the animation, art and atmosphere. I really liked the characters and how the episode was presented so for me it was a solid episode. I'll definitely watch the entire series.
Mar 31, 2018 10:48 PM
Jun 2016
A nice start looking to see where this goes :>
Mar 31, 2018 10:59 PM

Apr 2016
So that is what replace with DBS , and first episode is quite good
BRAWLERS
Apr 1, 2018 12:21 AM

Nov 2009
Arrrgh, I still can't finish the previous series Hakaba Kitarou 2008, it's just 2 more episodes to go, but it's incredibly hard to make myself sit through them. I frankly fail to see what's so attractive about this franchise, and other than the animation aspect, I sincerely doubt this new alternative series will be any better...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Apr 1, 2018 12:28 AM
Feb 2009
salman7 said:

Is that really important that this anime is "remplacing" DBS ?
Apr 1, 2018 1:33 AM

Jul 2016
Well, that was pretty good.
The only thing that worries me is the animation quality: it's too high.

I just hope this isn't one of those shows where the first three episodes are godlike and then you see the fourth drawn onto a tissue from how much the budget is emaciated.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 1, 2018 2:34 AM

May 2009
A blast from the past indeed.

What's the eps count ?
Apr 1, 2018 2:53 AM
May 2017
This episode was ok. I'm not sure if I'll watch more or not
Apr 1, 2018 3:10 AM
Dec 2012
The nostalgia hit me. So many childhood memories. Love it!
:v
Apr 1, 2018 3:42 AM

May 2012
Does this show have story with main villains or is just comedy anime ?!

The fact that it is listed for all ages is already a bad sign
Apr 1, 2018 4:11 AM

Jun 2013
Rukodaime said:
salman7 said:

it replaces the time slot for dragon ball super in fuji tv so yeah, it replaces dragon ball super.
Kitan~!
Apr 1, 2018 4:15 AM

Dec 2014
I kinda liked the show...the opening seemed also good ....
Apr 1, 2018 4:16 AM

Sep 2016
Well that was interesting. toei's production quality will most likely dip a little but i pray it won't, because this episode looked nice besides a sometimes dull directing. 3.5/5, looking forward to the next episode
Apr 1, 2018 4:39 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Alright, i'm definitely committing. That was quite the fun episode.
Apr 1, 2018 4:39 AM

Oct 2013
VanishingKira said:
Man the animation was great but seriously doubt itll be that good throughout especially considering this has been confirmed as 50 episodes.

Speak of which this being 50 episodes is worrying,not sure if I like this enough to keep watching for that amount but I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide.

This isn't confirmed with 50 episodes. It is confirmed that it will have more than 50 episodes(the 50+ episoes, doesn't mean 50 episodes and something, but more than 50 episodes)

The last 3 iterations of the franchise got 100+ episodes and only the second iteration of the franchise got less than 50 episodes, with 45 episodes.

Apr 1, 2018 4:50 AM

Jun 2015
Really like this... feels like a much more kid-friendly version of Ushio to Tora.

Apr 1, 2018 5:08 AM
Mar 2015
OMG, the opening song, I used to sing it with my brother when I was a kid... Can't believe they actually use this song again in a new format... cant stop myself from singing it again T_T T_T
Apr 1, 2018 5:08 AM

Sep 2015
I can see the pacing and the protagonist becoming a problem for me over time. I found the female protagonist to be a wee bit over dramatic. As someone that watched youkai based anime like Youkai Watch and the 60s Kitaro and loved it, something about the reboot bothers me. Not much memorable moments and the narrative was a little weak, but at least there was decent animation from Toei. The story told was surprisingly darker than I expected, and Toei illustrated the dark tone pretty well. I hope the bad edges get refined soon, because right now, I would rather watch an anime like YW to get my fill on youkai.

Apr 1, 2018 5:10 AM

May 2015
Are people giving it low scores just because replaced DBS? lol
Apr 1, 2018 5:40 AM

Jun 2012
That was really fun, way better than i expected it to be, didnt watch previous series, it kinda remind me of Natsume Yuuijinchou, Mana is fun and likeable character, and so is Kitarou, but boy, he got rusty. He almost died 2 times in one episode :)
Apr 1, 2018 6:54 AM
Sep 2017
Never seen the previous anime, so im hype for this one 😁. Being part of the new generation rocks.

Apr 1, 2018 7:08 AM
Oct 2013
This is the first entry in this series that I've watched, and I think it had a very strong first episode.

The guitar in the BGM is also very well played.
Apr 1, 2018 7:36 AM

Jul 2014
CG said:
Arrrgh, I still can't finish the previous series Hakaba Kitarou 2008, it's just 2 more episodes to go, but it's incredibly hard to make myself sit through them. I frankly fail to see what's so attractive about this franchise, and other than the animation aspect, I sincerely doubt this new alternative series will be any better...

What's awesome about Hakaba Kitaro is how it manages to blend this comedic tone with this horrific tone. Neither feel jarring to one another because they are both given equal attention. I also like in Hakaba how the monsters all play with their own senses of morality and their own senses of logic. They aren't human characters nor do they act as such. Sometimes they can be cruel, sometimes they can be kind, but overall, the underlying mischievous nature is important. We are mostly viewing things from Kitaro's perspective, so when he's apathetic towards something, the show presents that same apathy, and when he cares about something, it gives a more caring focus. In fact, I think the big lesson in the show is to not get too attached, as that's kind of the character arc Kitaro goes through in the show. I also love the underlying theme of constant amusement in life and people, in spite of all the changes the world has gone through time and time again, be they big such as people dying or small such as the price of goods raising. Maintaining this constant sense of mischievousness throughout all of the chaos and inconstancies of the world.

So yea, that's what I find appealing about Hakaba Kitaro.

As far as this episode of Gegege no Kitaro is concerned, I really like the visuals and tone, and I'm really interested in seeing how they explore Kitaro's character in this version. He's a lot different in comparison to how I know him in Hakaba, though I like the callbacks it makes to it in the episode what with Kitaro blooming from the plants.
Apr 1, 2018 8:07 AM
Apr 2018
I pretty much enjoy the first episode but it still not enough for me,hoping the next episodes will be better :√ since this is a adaptation from the old series i wanna fill up my nostalgic anime list and this one is pretty good i assume
Apr 1, 2018 8:55 AM

Jul 2016
ren_moon said:
Are people giving it low scores just because replaced DBS? lol

Actually, yeah.
Some people really are, apparently.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 1, 2018 8:58 AM
Feb 2009
vicexxv said:
Rukodaime said:

it replaces the time slot for dragon ball super in fuji tv so yeah, it replaces dragon ball super.

Sure. But I still don't see why it's revelant. It's just a time slot.
Apr 1, 2018 9:49 AM

Jul 2017
this ep was fucking awesome, and the OP is great.
Apr 1, 2018 10:48 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't know that Son Goku had another child.

Why don't Medama Oyaji turn into SSJ and solve everything?
AhmedHanApr 1, 2018 10:52 AM
Apr 1, 2018 11:29 AM

Jul 2017
is anyone going to mention how similar that white haired dude is to Logan Paul
Here I come, rougher than the rest of them
The best of them, tougher than leather
You can call me knuckles, unlike sonic I don't chuckle
I'd rather flex my muscles
I'm hard as nails, it ain't hard to tell
I break'em down whether they're solid or frail
Unlike the rest I'm independent
It's my first breath, first test
Feel the right then the worst's left
Apr 1, 2018 11:32 AM

Aug 2014
Stark700 said:
That is one...strange yet catchy song. The introduction of this episode definitely had my attention so far.
Medama is a funny little guy.

fun fact, there is a lot of Kitaro remakes, but they never changed the opening, is a classic right now xD.

Apr 1, 2018 11:44 AM

Sep 2014
Actually lol'd at the 吸血木 pun.
Anyway we got trees dressed in pagamas, hair antennas , and naked middle-aged talking eyeball dads. AOTY material right here.
Apr 1, 2018 11:53 AM
Apr 2016
Jayacheal said:

GGGnK used Satire to show us who we are as people living in the 21st century. They're basically exposing all of those YouTubers who do random things and make terrible decisions for the views, and how people just stand by and watch when something awful is happening.

It isn't just Logan Paul. There are plenty of others like him in our society, though I do agree that I was reminded of him as well.
Apr 1, 2018 1:11 PM

Jul 2017
Riza_Kurta said:
Jayacheal said:

GGGnK used Satire to show us who we are as people living in the 21st century. They're basically exposing all of those YouTubers who do random things and make terrible decisions for the views, and how people just stand by and watch when something awful is happening.

It isn't just Logan Paul. There are plenty of others like him in our society, though I do agree that I was reminded of him as well.

yeah I know, I found that pretty funny but I just could stop thinking of Logan Paul since he's notorious for these kind of shit and for what he did in the land of the rising sun
Here I come, rougher than the rest of them
The best of them, tougher than leather
You can call me knuckles, unlike sonic I don't chuckle
I'd rather flex my muscles
I'm hard as nails, it ain't hard to tell
I break'em down whether they're solid or frail
Unlike the rest I'm independent
It's my first breath, first test
Feel the right then the worst's left
Apr 1, 2018 2:20 PM

Nov 2017
I have no clue what this is, what the original was and what was happening but I loved it. The style was so much fun, IDK what else to say about it. That like old school psuedo-spooky theme is such a cool one
Apr 1, 2018 6:50 PM
Sep 2015
This is the same case as Tiger Mask W and Osomatsu-san. It is a sequel but it's made with a mind that people don't have to watch the prequel before to understand.
Apr 1, 2018 8:08 PM
Apr 2015
I think this anime will have more than 50 episodes.
Apr 1, 2018 8:27 PM

Sep 2013
Nice quality and all around direction, yokai in the modern day.
The designs are ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 1, 2018 10:10 PM

Mar 2014
i read the manga 15 years ago. a decade has passed by and now people have martphones and they make fun of youtubers.
Apr 1, 2018 11:11 PM

Jul 2015
I found this episode kinda mediocre, but I greatly enjoyed it. I've never watched a Kitaro series before, but I could tell how HUGE the thing is in Japan when I noticed some familiar moves Kitaro performed—from Yuyu Hakusho to Samurai Showdown. I was truly amazed. And, man, Medamaoyaji was absolutely fun to watch.

It's pretty weird, but, despite its flaws, I like it. I'm looking forward to episode 2.
Some lazy guy on scene!

waterfallsxo said:
Why do I think most of the people who have a crush on Archer are straight males lol.
Apr 2, 2018 12:50 AM
Jun 2017
This is the first anime series of Spring 2018 that i have watched and i like it, hmmm... gegege!!! Hahahaha... lets see the remaining episode what it will be
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2018

27 by gabrielloki »»
Aug 31, 2023 5:38 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 95 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

7 by Punkero »»
Mar 31, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 93 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

10 by Punkero »»
Mar 29, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 88 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2020

8 by Punkero »»
Mar 8, 2023 5:03 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 97 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

19 by abystoma2 »»
Feb 3, 2023 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.