Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2018 4:08 PM
Feb 2017
I was thinking about reading it but, it would be such a massive commitment to get caught up that I'm kinda on the fence about it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 25, 2018 4:49 PM

Nov 2012
If you like shounen, sure, it's masterclass among its kind.
Jan 25, 2018 6:03 PM

Apr 2013
don't think about how long it is, just read it.. if you don't like it you won't have to read 800+ chapters, and if you do like it, you'll want another 800+

that being said, it is definitely one of the best manga of all time.. god tier shounen along side Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist
Jan 26, 2018 1:52 AM

Dec 2017
narfwin said:
I was thinking about reading it but, it would be such a massive commitment to get caught up that I'm kinda on the fence about it.

Well , do you think 9/10 scores is not worth ? , read it dude, u will ended up finish it around 2 week because it's addictive.
Jan 26, 2018 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
I don't read too much manga, but One Piece was something I had to try so I could see why it's been #1 for so many years.
The answer is that it's #1. Simple as that. Everything about One Piece is amazing.
Jan 26, 2018 6:32 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
By this point you should just wait a couple more years until it's over. Instead of catching up and being stuck on week status.
Jan 26, 2018 1:22 PM
Feb 2017
So what i take from everyone's response is yes it is absolutely worth it.
Jan 26, 2018 1:31 PM

Sep 2014
I'd say no.
the story is not bad, but it's getting unnecessarily long and the author only treats it as his bottomless source of fortune now.

Bookmeter ╠╣ class summon
Jan 26, 2018 2:27 PM

Jun 2014
reizenchuu said:
I'd say no.
the story is not bad, but it's getting unnecessarily long and the author only treats it as his bottomless source of fortune now.

I'm pretty sure Shonen Jump deliberately extends the length of a series, why wouldn't they milk the cash cow. Bottomless source of fortune really...you make it sound like he's undeserving of it. The man is working hard to put himself in that position, of course you wouldn't understand the daily struggles of a mangaka. He only sleeps like 3 hours a day which is incredible while simultaneously worrying.

Besides the story has always been planned to be this long, nothing changing that.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 26, 2018 3:10 PM

Sep 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
reizenchuu said:
I'd say no.

I'm pretty sure Shonen Jump deliberately extends the length of a series, why wouldn't they milk the cash cow. Bottomless source of fortune really...you make it sound like he's undeserving of it. The man is working hard to put himself in that position, of course, you wouldn't understand the daily struggles of a mangaka. He only sleeps like 3 hours a day which is incredible while simultaneously worrying.

Besides the story has always been planned to be this long, nothing changing that.

who said that he doesn't deserve the profit that he gets from the series? it's the result of his work, I'm not allowed to complain about that, to begin with. But Let me be honest here, I was a huge fan of one piece in the past and I was fond of the story. That's why I believe that I am not being hateful towards the series when I say that the story is getting longer than necessary; it's because I started having that feeling from a long time ago which eventually changed into something close to a conviction.

in fact, I remember reading an interview where they asked Oda the reason why one piece is not finished yet and he gave back an ambiguous answer, explaining how he got the idea of the great Corsairs in the middle of the plot and how he created 7 of them instead of 5 or 2 only because he thought that the number 7 was cool. The story was not planned to be this long from the beginning, that is for sure. But regardless of his motive for dragging the series, the thing that made me stop being a fan and change my view on it was that faint doubt that grew on me throughout the years.

And that was my reason for saying that it's not worth reading. the motive behind creating the story had utterly changed throughout the years; it is not the same anymore, and that motive, for me, personally, has a crucial impact on the enjoyment of the story.

Bookmeter ╠╣ class summon
Jan 26, 2018 3:41 PM

Aug 2016
PsychoticDave said:
I don't read too much manga, but One Piece was something I had to try so I could see why it's been #1 for so many years.
The answer is that it's #1. Simple as that. Everything about One Piece is amazing.

quite a bold statement while admitting that you don't read much manga.
Jan 26, 2018 6:08 PM
Apr 2015
Really depends on personal preference, I read what I would consider to be a lot of manga (including shounen) and could never get into it. However it is #1 for reason, best bet is to probably to read some yourself and if you don't enjoy what you see, don't commit. If you do like it though then you have found yourself a great new series.
Jan 26, 2018 9:42 PM

Feb 2017
nop de nop de nop de nop.

Jan 27, 2018 12:04 AM

Apr 2016
Short answer: No
Long answer: Hell, Definitely not.
Jan 27, 2018 12:06 AM
Teto

Sep 2017
If you like it read as many as you want until you get tired or bored. I f not it's not worth it.
Personally me i'd watch the anime that reading the mang. since we have to buy them.
Jan 27, 2018 12:55 AM

Dec 2017
> If you want be the one of anime superior , then dont read it , it will make you such " bad taste " for them
> if you want be normal people and not join those whatever community i mention above. just ignore and start to read

don't get your first impression ruined by other people. i personally like it , try 30 chapter atleast, if you bored as hell, then drop it.
Jan 27, 2018 1:41 AM

Jun 2014
@reizenchuu

One Piece is not the only long-runner with no conclusion in end. Stuff like Hajime no Ippo span over 1000 chapters with no end in sight. The difference being that one clearly has a stronger narrative backing it. I just find there is undue criticism towards its length, however, no one bats an eye when it comes to series like Berserk (started in 1989) whose plot has stagnated for who knows how long.

Oda didn't expect it to be successful after the East Blue arc, that was the catalyst for him to continue drawing and its only gotten better from that point.

I understand where you're coming from so I'll just drop the conversation here. Post One Piece era is going to be pretty bleak for sure.
Jan 27, 2018 4:05 AM
Jun 2016
I've really enjoyed it though I get the dificulty of reading such a long series, I've been readhing Kenichi for the last few months and thats just under 600 chapters, and get distracted, but like alot of long aime/manga, setting a goal might help read 5 or 10 chapters a day, more if your really into a arc. Can help.
Jan 27, 2018 8:05 AM
Feb 2017
FireEmblemIke24 said:
@reizenchuu

One Piece is not the only long-runner with no conclusion in end. Stuff like Hajime no Ippo span over 1000 chapters with no end in sight. The difference being that one clearly has a stronger narrative backing it. I just find there is undue criticism towards its length, however, no one bats an eye when it comes to series like Berserk (started in 1989) whose plot has stagnated for who knows how long.

Oda didn't expect it to be successful after the East Blue arc, that was the catalyst for him to continue drawing and its only gotten better from that point.

I understand where you're coming from so I'll just drop the conversation here. Post One Piece era is going to be pretty bleak for sure.

Berserk's plot isn't really the thing that stagnated, it's more the release scheduled that makes it feel that way. when you go back and read all the chapters the pacing and plot is fine. We just need Miura to release some more goddamn chapters.
Jan 27, 2018 10:44 AM

Jun 2014
@narfwin

Kentaro Miura has changed to digital drawing which should ease the burden of meeting constant deadlines. The art looks crisp as ever which is probably attributed to the change. Regarding the frequent hiatuses, there is no excuses (other than medical) when he only produces 17-19 pages a month, I don't know how anyone can be in favour of that.

OT: One Piece is worth reading and collecting if you're into that sort of thing.
Jan 27, 2018 6:36 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Swagernator said:

We all know you like battle shounen under that guise of hatred.
Jan 27, 2018 6:41 PM

Nov 2012
The nice thing about One Piece is it doesn't take anywhere close to 800 chapters to figure out if it's something you'll be into. I'd say if you complete the Aarlong arc and aren't into it (that's like volume 9 I think?) you're not going to get into it. Heck, I think dropping as early as the Baratie Arc (Vol 5?) would have given you a good idea of if its a series you'll like.
Jan 27, 2018 6:59 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
reizenchuu said:
I'd say no.

I mean it's an adventure story. It never had to have linear path to completion, in fact before the timeskip it literally planted all the seeds and hints for all the future arcs afterwards so it's not like he's making shit up as he goes along like some mangaka do.
Jan 28, 2018 12:58 AM

Apr 2016
StrangerMist said:
Swagernator said:

Who said i'm hating them ? Show me that person.
Jan 28, 2018 1:04 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Swagernator said:
StrangerMist said:

Who said i'm hating them ? Show me that person.

You're implying it, thats what. And besides, you said all of them were bad save for d gray man.
Jan 28, 2018 1:05 AM

Apr 2016
StrangerMist said:
You're implying it, thats what. And besides, you said all of them were bad save for d gray man.

Isn't that like the truth ? Oh wait no, its just my opinion.
Jan 28, 2018 8:39 AM
Feb 2017
FireEmblemIke24 said:
@narfwin

Kentaro Miura has changed to digital drawing which should ease the burden of meeting constant deadlines. The art looks crisp as ever which is probably attributed to the change. Regarding the frequent hiatuses, there is no excuses (other than medical) when he only produces 17-19 pages a month, I don't know how anyone can be in favour of that.

OT: One Piece is worth reading and collecting if you're into that sort of thing.

Berserk's hiatuses are absurdly long and frequent. I can assure you I'm not in favor of them. But it dosn't (to me at least) take away from the fact when it actual DOES release it's still a excellent manga.
Jan 28, 2018 11:25 AM

May 2010
Absolutely, in my opinion it's the best shounen around (of course just from what I've read up until now). Artstyle is detailed and pretty darn awesome when you get used to it, it's full of hilarious comedy, and all characters are lovable and fun. I watched anime before, and now I'm collecting manga, because I've enjoyed the story that much.
Jan 29, 2018 5:58 PM

Jul 2013
it's pretty good
if you like adventure and battle shounen with some world building and comedy, then you'll like reading one piece
it doesn't actually take that long to read 800+ chapters of the manga, there are some pages that are just images with a few onomatopoeia.
also, I think the manga is better than the anime that dragged the dressrossa arc for way too long
Jan 31, 2018 12:41 AM

Aug 2014
Uh yeah,
Unlike anime you can bang 100-200 chapter in a single day, don't sweat small details you can look one after finishing it.

Recommended to have actual physical comics, digital will probably slow you down.

Depends on your read speed i could finish 5-10 volume in a single day. It was nothing compared finishing 1-2 course or heck 400-599+ of lame ass episode
Feb 1, 2018 1:19 PM

Nov 2013
With incredibly long manga like One Piece, I like to pace myself. I'd read 100 chapters and then read something else, and then return to read another 100. I did this and it never got boring. I mainly read it to be ahead of the anime, especially cause I don't really watch anime anymore and now i'm like 60 episodes behind :/ but yeah, if you like One Piece, then sure, go for it, it was nice to remind myself of everything that happens in the anime, cause with its insane length I couldn't remember like a third of the arcs, characters and fights lol.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Feb 1, 2018 1:41 PM

Aug 2015
Why not? I think it's actually worth getting into a long anime/manga. Just give yourself some time and food and you'll speed through it easy. I heard One Piece is pretty good in its genre.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Feb 1, 2018 6:38 PM

Dec 2017
is it worth it to read manga or watch anime at all? no
Feb 1, 2018 6:53 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Manga Discussion Board.
Feb 2, 2018 11:43 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah, it's pretty damn good.
Feb 2, 2018 11:50 AM

Jun 2015
You should do it, most arcs are very good and there is a subtle continuity that rewards you for reading the whole thing.
Feb 2, 2018 1:41 PM

Jul 2016
One Piece is nearly 900 chapters now and it's holding together.The world building in One Piece has no match. Luffy and the gang are fighting villains that were set up hundreds of chapters ago. They keep reaching milestones the journey feels likes it's progressing If you're not having fun after the first chapter or two I would drop it.
Feb 2, 2018 1:48 PM

Sep 2017
If you don't have a life and have a lot of freetime and likes of repetivive,overlong(Why one piece arcs are so long?It is not like Oda is writting something extremelly complex)and Boring plot,yes of course.
Feb 2, 2018 2:01 PM

May 2014
Yes it's definitely worth it. I started from volume 1 last year and read nothing but One Piece for months until i was caught up XD Probably the best experience with a manga I've ever had. But like One Piece, it's more about the journey than the destination, so don't rush through just for the sake of catching up. Experience the story at your own pace~
Feb 2, 2018 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
reizenchuu said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

I'm pretty sure Shonen Jump deliberately extends the length of a series, why wouldn't they milk the cash cow. Bottomless source of fortune really...you make it sound like he's undeserving of it. The man is working hard to put himself in that position, of course, you wouldn't understand the daily struggles of a mangaka. He only sleeps like 3 hours a day which is incredible while simultaneously worrying.

who said that he doesn't deserve the profit that he gets from the series? it's the result of his work, I'm not allowed to complain about that, to begin with. But Let me be honest here, I was a huge fan of one piece in the past and I was fond of the story. That's why I believe that I am not being hateful towards the series when I say that the story is getting longer than necessary; it's because I started having that feeling from a long time ago which eventually changed into something close to a conviction.

in fact, I remember reading an interview where they asked Oda the reason why one piece is not finished yet and he gave back an ambiguous answer, explaining how he got the idea of the great Corsairs in the middle of the plot and how he created 7 of them instead of 5 or 2 only because he thought that the number 7 was cool. The story was not planned to be this long from the beginning, that is for sure. But regardless of his motive for dragging the series, the thing that made me stop being a fan and change my view on it was that faint doubt that grew on me throughout the years.

And that was my reason for saying that it's not worth reading. the motive behind creating the story had utterly changed throughout the years; it is not the same anymore, and that motive, for me, personally, has a crucial impact on the enjoyment of the story.
if we're talking about the original end, it should have been skypea arc with the golden bell as 'one piece'
Feb 2, 2018 2:39 PM

Feb 2017
I'd suggest reading One Piece only if you have the time to read all of it. Imo the best way to enjoy One Piece is if you binge it. One Piece is notorious for its slow pacing and dragging these outs, so you might lose interest in it. But there's a lot of good things in One Piece, such as foreshadowing(there's a bunch of them) and consistency. If you got the time to read it, then I suggest you do it.

If anything, read the first 100 chapters is the first saga in One Piece, known as the East Blue Saga. Those chapter basically showcases what One Piece is about. If you like what you've seen so far, then keep on reading. But if you don't, then you can drop it.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Feb 2, 2018 3:13 PM

Oct 2010
If you don't want it to be a commitment, you can read it at your own pace, or for example reading one arc and taking a little hiatus after starting the other and so on. And if you don't like what you read or don't have the motivation feel free to drop whenever you want.

It is worth it, if you ask me.

reizenchuu said:

Yep, unlike what FireEmblemIke24 told you there, Oda didn't actually plan One Piece to be that long, but not only in the beginning. It is at this point a running gag that Oda always underestimates the length and complexity of his own manga. I mean, the Wano arc was supposed to start last year, and now I even have my doubts that we are going to see it in 2018.

Of course you can observe this situation through a cynical perspective and say that Oda is milking the cash cow, but honestly if you ask me, I can't buy that. One Piece hasn't changed its priorities at all in terms of storytelling. It has increased the complexity of the scenarios and the number of factors that play a role in each arc, but the basic philosophy remaining the same means that now Oda will spend a lot more time to flesh out the story and characters because there's 20 characters in the spotlight instead of the 10 that were before and so on. It is still an expansive narration, it still loves to indulge itself in subplots, backstories, explanations and character moments that are not always strictly necessary to advance the plot. Is it a problem? Maybe. Depending on your priorities. But it certainly is not anything I shouldn't expect from Oda and his narrative dynamics, and the assumption that he has somehow lost the track of the story, when it is actually following the structure one should expect if we assume that the arcs and events are increasingly complex and multifactorial, seems not quite right to me.
jal90Feb 2, 2018 3:22 PM
Feb 6, 2018 6:53 AM
Jan 2016
If you absolutely don't have the time, then no. But if you can somehow make the time, fuck yes.
For example, I usually don't have the time because of studies, but I read One Piece in bulk, like a couple a volumes or so, when I do.
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about getting caught up. Enjoy One Piece at your own pace.
Feb 8, 2018 12:39 AM

Jan 2016
People who say that One Piece drags on really don't understand One Piece.

Every Arc har something important in it that's necessary for the story to become as great as it has become.

Read it, 800 chapters worth of manga is easier to consume then watching 800 episodes. There is a reason must One Piece has stood at the top for 20 years.
Feb 8, 2018 12:56 AM

Nov 2016
I can't say anything of value without knowing your taste,but if you like adventures,crazy characters,world building,a big complex story, then One Piece will offer you all that.

And the good thing about it being so long imo, is that you most likely will tend to love it more and more as it goes on.

Swagernator said:

Don't have access to your manga list,but unless you have given it a try gtfo and come back once you're done.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 8, 2018 1:29 AM

Nov 2011
The first arcs is even better ...
The problem with One Piece is it is become quite repetitive as farther you are in the story ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 24, 2021 10:46 AM

Apr 2021
Following To My it's absolutely yes....
•And why noo? 🤨🤨

"ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ꜱʜᴏᴠᴇꜱ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ɢᴏᴛᴛᴀ ꜱᴛᴀɴᴅ ᴜᴘ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱʜᴏᴠᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋ. ɪᴛ’ꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ꜱᴏᴍᴇʙᴏᴅʏ’ꜱ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ꜱᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ꜱᴛᴀʀᴛ ʙᴀʙʙʟɪɴɢ ᴇxᴄᴜꜱᴇꜱ."

- ʀᴏʀᴏɴᴏᴀ ᴢᴏʀᴏ.

Oct 22, 2021 12:34 AM

Apr 2020
Why its good:
Good Worldbuilding
A Couple Good Characters

Why It's Bad:
Mediocre Main Character
Lots of Plot Armor and Plot conveniences
Poor Pacing
Several arcs that have very little impact on the whole story
Poor Story composition
Oct 22, 2021 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
It's been around 15 days since I started reading one piece. Started reading cause wanted to know why it's this much popular. It's slow & not much special in starting but later it gets good. Rn I have read 250+ chps and you can say it's entertaining. I am looking forward to read it more, give it a try.

> Update
It was getting repetitive and boring, wanted to drop after 400chps but forced myself to read till 500chp, was hoping to get to see something different. It never came, characters have 0 development. People are saying Marineford will be good but I don't have any interest left to continue reading this, in future I may change my mind.
removed-userMar 4, 2022 8:29 PM
Oct 22, 2021 7:27 AM

Jul 2016
Yes

Wordswordswords
Penguins are funny
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion

FMmatron - Apr 23

15 by Eoussama »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 799 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Georesa - Sep 2, 2015

228 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 798 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2015

138 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

32 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 8:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

73 by crumb_fr »»
Apr 22, 3:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.