Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Jan 22, 2018 10:18 AM

Jun 2007
This show is just tedious.. childish and illogical... i like few things though. hot Cattleya and that dunce delivery boy in high heels.
i'm not even bothering thinking why on earth are they called auto bloody memory dolls and why pretty clothing is a must
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jan 22, 2018 11:02 AM

Dec 2009
I can't stop swooning over the visuals. This story is heading towards sadness though I'm sure of it.
Jan 22, 2018 1:49 PM

Mar 2014
Another really good episode. It isn't anything phenomenal imo but the atmosphere is really unique and I like the slow progression, which gives more room to the characters. I think Hodgins should tell Violet if the Major is really dead, stalling would only make things worse.
Jan 22, 2018 4:44 PM

Aug 2014
was a good ending i guess
Jan 22, 2018 6:15 PM
May 2015
hope kyoani can go bankrupt soon so i never have to look at these blurred backgrounds ever again
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2018 7:02 PM

Aug 2013
@TheDoggoneGirl You can make it much easier on you eyes by doing this:
Toshiya0 said:
It's actually not any filter/effect. Kyoani just made the mistake of encoding their anime in limited range colours (16-235), while most people have displays that support the full range of colours (0-255). They did this because it's a TV release, and most old tvs have limited range.

You can fix this by using a 16-235 -> 0-255 shader in your video player.

Like this:

Jan 22, 2018 9:14 PM

Jun 2016
Toshiya0 said:
Toshiya0 said:
It's actually not any filter/effect. Kyoani just made the mistake of encoding their anime in limited range colours (16-235), while most people have displays that support the full range of colours (0-255). They did this because it's a TV release, and most old tvs have limited range.

Like this:

Oooh. Thanks so much for this. This may be handy to me in the next episodes. :)

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 22, 2018 9:31 PM
May 2015
Toshiya0 said:
Toshiya0 said:

Like this:

It's actually not a mistake since there are blacks below 15 when looking at it from a YC waveform, that's an actual filter they thought would look good, but your solution mostly gets rid of it.
Jan 22, 2018 10:47 PM

Apr 2015
As pretty as it is really needs more fun to watch characters and dynamics.
Lost a bit of appreciation to Violet the character this EP
Jan 23, 2018 3:16 AM

Jan 2017
Not really sure where this is going but still, great in terms of quality (visuals, music, cinematography).

A lot of people is still complaining about Violet's character. What do you expect from a girl who was raised as a weapon? She didn't even has the chance to learn many different things normal for everyone. She was raised in military, in a country at war. Environment is essential to one's character. Just saying
Jan 23, 2018 9:20 AM

Apr 2015
Shineee_ said:
A lot of people is still complaining about Violet's character. What do you expect from a girl who was raised as a weapon? She didn't even has the chance to learn many different things normal for everyone. She was raised in military, in a country at war. Environment is essential to one's character. Just saying

That's perfectly understandable, but doesn't directly correlate to being interesting or being able to lead the show etc. I imagine most people are complaining about that
Jan 23, 2018 11:39 AM

May 2009
Everything looks good.. yes yes.. Environment very interesting.. yes.. yes... there are some things that can be interesting for a story yes...yes...

...so when do they start doing something with it? :')

jk. my opinion is just that storywise it could be so great if they put the same effort into story as they do with animation and visuals. not saying it will stay.. like this.. but it is still not very promising afer two episodes. Bút; they still have time to redeem. so lets watch!
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jan 23, 2018 6:23 PM

Aug 2013
shanimebib said:
icontinuetofight said:

that's why i asked if the anime is original content already.

the synopsys of the novel says the dolls are products and they can be manufactured. violet is one of them

The heck?! You mean the one in MAL? If you mean the MAL synopsis then it's not correct. Whoever wrote that synopsis must have just come up with their own idea. There is nowhere mentioned that Auto Memoir Dolls are machines. In the original synopsis, the machine that is talked about is basically the typewriter. And Auto Memoir Dolls are those who provide typewriting service.

I am translating the novel synopsis from the official website:

The name 'Jidou Shuki Ningyou' (Auto Memoir Doll) came to be a long time ago. Dr. Orlando developed a machine capable of recording words from natural human voice. Although, originally it was built just for his beloved wife, it gained popularity all over the world; and thereon formed organizations those would lend such machines as means of service.

"I rush to wherever I am needed by my clients. Auto Memoir Doll at your service; I am Violet Evergarden." a sweetly ringing voice with robotic beauty, parts from a beautiful blue-eyed blonde woman as if she jumped right out from a tale.

Now I know where the confusions came from.

thank you for the translation, this make much more sense
Jan 23, 2018 7:22 PM
Jun 2011
What the heck is wrong with you people? This show is TERRIBLE. I really don't understand why they would waste such great animation on such a horrible script. It's not that I don't like anime that has a slow start or slow throughout. Mushishi is one of my favorite anime ever created. I friggin' love Usagi Drop. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was amazing throughout. However, this... what the heck is this? I really don't see how they could turn this around. Everything about it is an anime trope. The characters are more shallow than a puddle. The story is like random ideas by toddlers thrown together. I really tried, but it's sooooo friggin' bad and soooo friggin' uninteresting.
Jan 23, 2018 8:47 PM

Oct 2008
hmmmm i fail to comprehend the hypeness of this show the others are saying...true it is overhyped, but OST is definitely worth to mention. Visuals are stunning as expected!
LOLZ Violet is very direct to the point. She obviously doesn't understand how it works especially in front of customers. Being in a Auto Memoir Doll service is no easy task.
Just look at Erica, even she struggles on her work!
Did I see that correctly!? Benedict a postman wearing a woman's high heels!?!? or is that a cultural norm/standard!? haha!
Violet's total make-over just made her extremely beautiful! DAMN! She might be KyoAni's new goddess!
5/5.

Jan 24, 2018 3:20 AM

Jul 2014
Benedict best boy. Also, I think I like the Hodgins-Cattleya pair. They're so cute!
Jan 24, 2018 4:07 AM
Jul 2015
Well, did someone who had high expectations accept that it is noticeably disappointing?
Jan 24, 2018 6:07 AM

Oct 2013
<show is obviously set in WW2 era Europe
<characters eating Japanese cuisine
ggwp

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 24, 2018 7:44 AM

Nov 2015
Aguuus said:
Well, did someone who had high expectations accept that it is noticeably disappointing?

Nah. I expected something like that. Im not even complaining because it's slice of life, I love well done, slow-paced slice of life series when they serve some purpose. Like, you know. Force you to think about stuff, make you fall in love with it's characters, show you fantastic and well thought out world or just dazzle you with unique atmosphere. Violet Evergarden feels... empty. Pretty much everything related to this series has been already done - robots learning emotions, post-war Europe and stuff - so nothing can suprise you. Characters don't feel real at all, it's hard to relate to them at any level. We still have 12 eps, I know, but at this pace and with this amount of them it will be impossible to develop any of them (except maybe Violet because everything's about her development I quess). Right now it's a nice story with gorgeous art and fantasic music, but it lacks emotion, just like Violet. I doubt antyhing will change.
Btw, next time before ya'll start calling something deep because it seems deep and shounen fag... friends dislike it, think about WHY it may be deep and what makes a series "deep". If you want to come across as smart, start beign more aware of media you're consuming. Please. I mean, every time I see people calling Violet Evergarden best anime in years something dies inside of me \ (•◡•) /
Jan 24, 2018 8:01 AM

Sep 2016
Zadion said:
ggwp
ITADAKIMAAAAASU
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 24, 2018 8:08 AM

Nov 2015
GangsterCat said:
Zadion said:
ggwp
ITADAKIMAAAAASU

it's

Jan 24, 2018 9:18 AM
Jul 2015
way2fab4u said:
Aguuus said:

Nah. I expected something like that. Im not even complaining because it's slice of life, I love well done, slow-paced slice of life series when they serve some purpose. Like, you know. Force you to think about stuff, make you fall in love with it's characters, show you fantastic and well thought out world or just dazzle you with unique atmosphere. Violet Evergarden feels... empty. Pretty much everything related to this series has been already done - robots learning emotions, post-war Europe and stuff - so nothing can suprise you. Characters don't feel real at all, it's hard to relate to them at any level. We still have 12 eps, I know, but at this pace and with this amount of them it will be impossible to develop any of them (except maybe Violet because everything's about her development I quess). Right now it's a nice story with gorgeous art and fantasic music, but it lacks emotion, just like Violet. I doubt antyhing will change.
Btw, next time before ya'll start calling something deep because it seems deep and shounen fag... friends dislike it, think about WHY it may be deep and what makes a series "deep". If you want to come across as smart, start beign more aware of media you're consuming. Please. I mean, every time I see people calling Violet Evergarden best anime in years something dies inside of me \ (•◡•) /

Not even I will read your resentful response, learn to write less and express more.
Jan 24, 2018 10:34 AM

Aug 2013
way2fab4u said:

Is this a pasta?
Jan 24, 2018 2:08 PM

Nov 2015
Aguuus said:
way2fab4u said:

Btw, next time before ya'll start calling something deep because it seems deep and shounen fag... friends dislike it, think about WHY it may be deep and what makes a series "deep". If you want to come across as smart, start beign more aware of media you're consuming. Please. I mean, every time I see people calling Violet Evergarden best anime in years something dies inside of me (•◡•) /

Not even I will read your resentful response, learn to write less and express more.

you have

And hey, chill out. Last words were meant to people calling this stuff "deep" and insulting everyone who disagrees, not you. I just kinda wanted to express my disappointment and did it randomly, it was not pointed at you, maybe it seemed like it due to my poor wording. It's probably all easier when you write in your native language ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Toshiya0 said:
Is this a pasta?

yeah, pretty much anything beyond 50 words is a pasta, feel free to use it
way2fab4uJan 24, 2018 2:24 PM
Jan 24, 2018 3:27 PM
Jul 2015
way2fab4u said:
Aguuus said:

you have

And hey, chill out. Last words were meant to people calling this stuff "deep" and insulting everyone who disagrees, not you. I just kinda wanted to express my disappointment and did it randomly, it was not pointed at you, maybe it seemed like it due to my poor wording. It's probably all easier when you write in your native language ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Toshiya0 said:
Is this a pasta?

yeah, pretty much anything beyond 50 words is a pasta, feel free to use it

Am I still part of the discussion? From the beginning I recognized that it was unnecessary to say a word, I avoid consequences.
Jan 26, 2018 12:37 PM
Jun 2015
Not sure what to make of this series..Violet is an interesting character..
Jan 26, 2018 6:16 PM

Jan 2012
amazing art again, but too slow so far...
Jan 26, 2018 9:20 PM

Aug 2013
Aguuus said:

I didn't expect much aside from nice visuals, but I'm still disappointed. lol
This is turning out to be another kyoani tearjerker.
Jan 26, 2018 11:25 PM

Jan 2015
Obvious nod to Saber was obvious... but okay. I will say that I found this episode much slower than the first... it didn't really go anywhere. I mean alright it expands the world they're in a little more and we get more character introductions, but it just felt I dunno, stalled. I will admit while most people consider Violet a jerk, I really found her straightforwardness with all of her customers during her training rather amusing. I like blunt people, I kind of always have; so I have no issue with that part of her character. At this point I am still invested though, it's pretty if nothing else.
Jan 28, 2018 2:20 PM

Mar 2012
Welp Violet just ruined that lady's chance at dating her husbando.
Jan 29, 2018 6:42 AM

Aug 2016
Jesus Christ, she is so straightforward lol.

The music towards the end makes it so sad. I have a feeling, this anime will make me cry in the end. I hope it doesn't though.

Set by SenpieX
Jan 31, 2018 4:05 PM

Aug 2016

Beautiful<3....
Feb 1, 2018 8:39 AM

Apr 2015
Another awesome episode with amazing visuals. Giving that green stone back to Violet gave me a huge smile. Rip his monthly salary tho XD.

Btw that new dress and hairstyle are 10/10
Feb 2, 2018 8:46 PM

Oct 2010
While she wasnt considerate of the customers feelings, she did express it in a way that was right. Still wondering if the Major is either dead, ill, or missing.
Feb 4, 2018 9:43 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
How she can write a love letter if she didn´t show her feeelings!!!!
Feb 10, 2018 1:10 AM
Nov 2015
My eyes are burning!!!!
Love that it focuses on the work.
Knowing Gilbert's dead, I'm kinda worried the end will be a sobfest.
Feb 10, 2018 1:19 AM

Sep 2017
like some of you guys said, this episode was really slow. however i found it interesting, expanding on the setting and the auto memory doll service. the new characters felt a bit out of place, coming in so suddenly and already having a few emotional moments here and there. that part felt rushed in contrast to how slow everything else developed. artwork is beautiful as usual and the music fits in well. i think we need some character development soon?
Feb 11, 2018 10:48 AM
Oct 2007
I'm quite surprised to see so many people calling this slow pace but thinking back, the pacing is indeed slower than the average. I didn't manage to feel any of that throughout though, probably because I was enjoying the episode too much, especially the visuals.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2018 3:46 PM
Feb 2018
Did anyone noticed Benedict wearing high heels? His pants that had a lot of straps seemed also odd. Does is have some kind of history behind it?
Feb 14, 2018 7:51 PM

Sep 2008
Boring again. Typical Kyoani nowadays.

Benedict is cool, though. Best character.
Feb 15, 2018 1:37 AM

Mar 2009
RealityRush said:
destructo22 said:
Thanks for some insight on this one.

I have to correct my previous comment actually. Here is a write-up he actually did on that translation issue on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7rh2ug/the_case_for_fansubs/dsx4iv7.

So apparently Asenshi's may be a bit closer, but the actual Japanese lines are nebulous and when I listened to the French dub, they even translated it a little different as well. So it seems like a confusing statement regardless of the language.

So, uhh, did they fuck or what? And yeah, that translation was extremely confusing.

I'm hoping they stop dragging out this Gilbert thing, because we all know he's alive.
Feb 15, 2018 1:45 PM
Feb 2018
That hair .....a new Saber...
Feb 26, 2018 7:15 PM

Jul 2012
The character designs in this show are so nice. Violet is so pretty :)
Music was great also.

I wonder when Claudia will tell Violet what happened to Gilbert. It's cruel of him to leave her in the dark, and he definitely feels guilty about it. There's probably more to it why he can't tell her though. We still don't know what was going on when he was watching her as she was bleeding and battered up.

Seems like Violet almost cried when she got the brooch back. This is a nice step forward for her.
Mar 1, 2018 4:03 PM

Jun 2014
After more than a months' hiatus from Anime, I've finally started watching this Anime again.

So far, it's still very interesting. We are being introduced to some new, interesting characters, and Violet is still a bit emotionless, but she's definitely coming around.

Mar 1, 2018 6:10 PM

May 2017
Its a good anime so far, Im gonna keep watching it.

Violet reminds me of an autistic girl I knew and she looks like Saber to me.
So she was a slave that was gifted to Gilber from his douchebag brother.....Hmm Is she even a human?
Her letter made me chuckle. Gilbert dead confirmed y.y

Ando said:

I wonder when Claudia will tell Violet what happened to Gilbert. It's cruel of him to leave her in the dark, and he definitely feels guilty about it. There's probably more to it why he can't tell her though.

I think he wanted to tell her the truth in ep 1 but the nurse interrupted him. He hasnt found the courage yet to tell her..
Mar 2, 2018 12:07 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful. I love slow paced drama

Mar 9, 2018 1:12 AM

Jul 2013
So basically people can read but not write? Huh. Also Violet's looking a lot more like Saber now.
Mar 15, 2018 10:06 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting art to ghost writing letters, having to interpret meanings from a quick conversation. Also weird that they don't review the finished letter before sending it off. But I could see how that would just result in needing to rewrite the letters over and over again
Mar 19, 2018 2:31 AM
Mar 2012
That blondboy gets rejected, shares food with Subway Ojiisan, then wears high heels on a bike, lol what's even happening to dat poor soul.
Aww that beautiful brooch is back.
Lol where's the COMEDY tag. Everything was hilarious, Cattleya & Claudia flirting, letterwriting epicfails.
I really expected an episodic letter recording robot... but turns out it's a both funny & unfortunate autist former slave child soldier, getting reinstated in normal postwar society & trying desperately to learn about love.
Well Cattleya's right about words having more depth which Saber needs to learn.
Mar 25, 2018 1:05 PM

May 2010
Violet's new look is perfect, she's sooo beautiful ;_;

It seems that Gilbert is dead, but I still refuse to believe it. Ending song was great as well, I love Minori Chihara's voice <3 Can't wait to finally watch the opening!
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

» I think my life will be complete once i see a violet evergarden live action.

mrjdko - Apr 27

30 by Reckless_weeb »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

618 by LilandBrown »»
Apr 28, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.