Forums
New
Jan 10, 2018 8:34 PM

Sep 2013
There I said it.
It's distracting and ruins the art.
Jan 10, 2018 8:35 PM
Jul 2018
I don’t think you have any ground to “judge” kyoani’s magnificent art, Mr. Cowtits.
Jan 10, 2018 8:40 PM

May 2015
Can't say I agree with that, at all really.

Jan 10, 2018 9:04 PM
Jan 2016
Yeah. I thought it wouldn't be that much, but they really went all out. I guess they wanted the dramatic & mellow effect for the anime but overdid it.
Now that I think about it, the director did a quite a bit of filter & effect on Beyond the Boundary too. So maybe he thought it would be better if he cranked up the effect to the max for this anime.
Jan 11, 2018 5:25 AM

Jan 2016
It's the secret ingredient to WOWs the new anime watcher.
Jan 11, 2018 6:05 AM

Dec 2009
The blur is called depth of field. Is not something that needs to be done in anime, but that's how both our eyes and cameras work, so replicating that effect in anime is normal, either if you're trying for a realistic/film look or if you simply want the scene to focus on something.

About the "filters" i think you're mistaken with how they use light in this show. Just like with depth of field, they're replicating how a camera works. In the second example it's very obvious because of the way the windows "shine" and the washed out look that kind of lighting gives.

You might like it or not, but it's not filters and blur just because, it has a reason behind it it's an artistic direction and it's used properly.
Jan 11, 2018 6:11 AM

Nov 2014
Yeah, the video looks like it was ran through a lot of Instagram filters. The contrast is low, blending the dark tones with the medium tones. Theoretically, this softer look is supposed to elicit more feels.

I generally prefer slightly punchier contrast like this.

Jan 11, 2018 6:53 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I agree with this effect, i suppose everyone has their taste!!
Jan 11, 2018 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah. The blur is easily noticeable. I personally prefer more clean image with vibrant colors.
Jan 11, 2018 8:06 AM

Sep 2011
The problem isnt the blur themselves, its the fact that its so overdone and washed out it really takes away from the visuals by a considerable margin. Depth of field has been done in tons of shows but to less gross looking outcomes. They really just need to tone it down to a point where the lines on the drawings dont become so washed out, cause thats taking it to an absurd. Some people have been removing the filters to showcase what we could of gotten, Yeah the show looks so much better without it
https://i.imgur.com/UOl1IqY.jpg
I think the offensive part too is, the bloom effect in the fixed images looks so much more natural too.

but whilst on the topic, this picture kind of sums it up
JizzyHitlerJan 11, 2018 8:14 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 11, 2018 8:12 AM

Dec 2017
I guess you have to start setting the mood for the show, and get you involved in the feelings involved in the context. I think that's just their strategy to acomplish that.
I would like more contrast on the photography, as was stated above, and with that maybe more definition on the lines, taken by this blur and filters.
Otherwise, I really liked this first episode.
Jan 11, 2018 8:14 AM

Feb 2012

Got this pic from the show's twitter account, they aren't even trying to deny it lol.
Jan 11, 2018 8:16 AM

May 2017
Grim1952 said:
The blur is called depth of field. Is not something that needs to be done in anime, but that's how both our eyes and cameras work, so replicating that effect in anime is normal, either if you're trying for a realistic/film look or if you simply want the scene to focus on something.

About the "filters" i think you're mistaken with how they use light in this show. Just like with depth of field, they're replicating how a camera works. In the second example it's very obvious because of the way the windows "shine" and the washed out look that kind of lighting gives.

You might like it or not, but it's not filters and blur just because, it has a reason behind it it's an artistic direction and it's used properly.

^truth

KyoAni switching up their usual lack of filters and going for something cinematic doesn't mean it's terrible.
Jan 11, 2018 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
Actually that depends on the mood of the show, for this scene https://i.imgur.com/PoPn1lr.jpg it has grittier feel and may not get well with the atmosphere of the anime, but they could have toned it a lot otherwise in other scenes, like someone posted above for that Major scene.

Brakistochrone said:
I guess you have to start setting the mood for the show, and get you involved in the feelings involved in the context. I think that's just their strategy to acomplish that.
I would like more contrast on the photography, as was stated above, and with that maybe more definition on the lines, taken by this blur and filters.
Otherwise, I really liked this first episode.

^Exactly this, I think a middle ground could have been possible instead.
Jan 11, 2018 12:05 PM

Sep 2014
how is it distracting
if anything it looks great
quite frankly bringing attention to art is only an upside
Jan 11, 2018 12:35 PM

Jan 2013
I dont like it either. When I see blurred parts its just a lazy way to disregard backgrounds it seems to me. But the girls look good so hey, who cares?
Jan 13, 2018 5:06 PM

Apr 2015
BaneofKermit said:
Grim1952 said:

^truth

KyoAni switching up their usual lack of filters and going for something cinematic doesn't mean it's terrible.

Just cause its an intentional decision doesn't make it any better. Maybe even because they did it intentionally actually gives me even more reason to complain about it.
Jan 13, 2018 6:04 PM

Apr 2013
It's the director's decision I think. You are free to like it or dislike it. Personally, I feel a that they overdid it a bit, but it doesn't really ruin the watching experiences for me.
Jan 13, 2018 6:07 PM

Oct 2015
Completly agree. In some scenes it worked well but most of the time it was just unnecessary.
Jan 13, 2018 6:12 PM

Apr 2013
FP_SagaS said:
BaneofKermit said:

^truth

Just cause its an intentional decision doesn't make it any better. Maybe even because they did it intentionally actually gives me even more reason to complain about it.

The problem is that is your personal view, which is again subject to bias. People will like it, dislike it or has neutral opinion on it. You can complain all you want, but it won't change anything, since the director has that kind of personal preferences, just look at Kyoukai no Kanata. And the director also probably aware that this kind complain he would get, but despise of knowing it, he still chose to use this kind of approach.
Jan 13, 2018 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
Actually I really liked how it looks, my eyes cried over the beauty. Soft edges & low in contrast, warm filters give this retro feeling about the show... which, I think, is just perfectly on point.
Maybe for someone it's just weird to look at, because we're not used to see such an effects in "daily watched" anime, dunno...
Jan 14, 2018 12:09 AM
Dec 2017
Dunno i liked the art a lot
Jan 14, 2018 12:29 AM

Apr 2016
The blurs are annoying in presenting the background clearly, which is what many viewers want to see aside from the characters or the focus of the scene.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 14, 2018 1:52 AM

Apr 2015
TriZen said:
FP_SagaS said:

The problem is that is your personal view, which is again subject to bias. People will like it, dislike it or has neutral opinion on it. You can complain all you want, but it won't change anything, since the director has that kind of personal preferences, just look at Kyoukai no Kanata. And the director also probably aware that this kind complain he would get, but despise of knowing it, he still chose to use this kind of approach.

Dude this whole forum is to discuss things, "dont complain about anything anymore because it isn't going to change anything".
Jan 14, 2018 4:42 AM

Nov 2014
ichii_1 said:
There I said it.
It's distracting and ruins the art.

If anything it make you to focus on the characters and not on what happens around them, they did it in a silent voice too and i dont have any problems with that.
Jan 14, 2018 5:08 AM
May 2015
The problem isn't the DoF effect, but the so called 'hipster' look the show has, it crushes the blacks and effectively reduces the dynamic range of every shot, making it appear dull even though the colors of the backgrounds are very vibrant

I get that they were trying to give the show a 'Victorian-era' look, but I don't think they did a good job at that, the color grading is honestly very lazily done.

Jan 14, 2018 6:12 AM

Oct 2015
Wow you really aren't used to KyoAni's magnificence
Jan 14, 2018 1:52 PM

Apr 2014
I agree that they went crazy with the diffusion on certain scenes, It almost negates the crisp feeling if your watching it in HD. Don't know if they want to opt for that old film quality, or just want to blend some of those banding that occurs when using gradient effects. Either way compositing is only just one aspect of production, its still looks fucking gorgeous on every other aspect
Jan 14, 2018 1:59 PM

Sep 2017
that's kyoto animation for you
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 14, 2018 2:30 PM
Jan 2015
I like it. It makes the characters feel like part of the world theyre in. It always feels like the 2d characters stand out from a static background painting except for any clearly outlined 2d assets they interact with. And its like looking at two different pictures super imposed but they aren't connected.

This pushes the characters back into the environment more.
Jan 16, 2018 1:43 AM
Jan 2017
Klad said:
I dont like it either. When I see blurred parts its just a lazy way to disregard backgrounds it seems to me. But the girls look good so hey, who cares?

I wouldn't call that lazy. Lazy would be something like poorly drawing the background or just adding still figures without animating the background characters. Personnaly I think they did overdone it with the blur effects but these are deliberate artistic choices that contribute to the story visually, It makes her feel distant and oblivious to the world around her
Jan 16, 2018 11:20 AM

Mar 2014
Uh let me ask. What is it that viewers prefer to focus on the characters or the background.I'm so confused right now. Well to each their own
20 years old! And lost on the internet!
Jan 16, 2018 12:37 PM

Nov 2014
I think it is done right where all that matters on the screen is a character.
take this for example:

Jan 17, 2018 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
I think yeah they used it a lot but it isn't to the point where it's distracting most of the time.

If anything only few scenarios did bugged me but that's the thing. Few.

I think this is to where it focuses more on the relevant people rather than focusing on the more irrelevant people, giving focus on what's important and what's not.

Though in the background stances sometimes yeah it does become distracting here a bit. But it isn't bad to where it takes away the experience of the show so.
Jan 17, 2018 3:11 PM

Oct 2017
Grim1952 said:

No it isn’t. You can tell it’s aimed after fake photo filters because the bokah surrounds the character and it’s not all in focus at the same depth like a camera would be.

Jan 17, 2018 4:17 PM

Jul 2016
nicethings said:
I don’t think you have any ground to “judge” kyoani’s magnificent art, Mr. Cowtits.

I love this so much
Jan 17, 2018 5:55 PM
Jul 2014
nicethings said:

You don't need to be a chef to know when food tastes like shit.
Jan 17, 2018 6:40 PM

Apr 2014
nicethings said:
Tell us more about anime, Mr. 225 Anime watched
Jan 20, 2018 12:26 AM

Dec 2016
I personally like it. It gives a much more natural, realistic feel, that is more suitable to this type of shows. Never liked sharp contrasts in shows that take themselves seriously (for example, in Fate/Zero, now those contrasts were distracting)
SoldierDreamJan 20, 2018 12:31 AM
Jan 20, 2018 2:54 AM

Mar 2017
krautnuck said:
nicethings said:

Cinematography is not food so sorry your point is invalid
Jan 20, 2018 4:17 AM

May 2009
krautnuck said:
nicethings said:

Google why food analogies are shit way to compare things.
Jan 21, 2018 11:15 AM

Mar 2012
I agree. Don't remove it completely but reduce its occurrences
Jan 21, 2018 1:15 PM

Aug 2013
It's actually not any filter/effect. Kyoani just made the mistake of encoding their anime in limited range colours (16-235), while most people have displays that support the full range of colours (0-255). They did this because it's a TV release, and most old tvs have limited range.

You can fix this by using a 16-235 -> 0-255 shader in your video player.

Like this:
Toshiya_Jan 21, 2018 6:21 PM
Jul 27, 2020 11:36 AM
Aug 2018
Watching Sound Euphonium right now and I don't like it either. I also think it makes the anime backgrounds look cheap even if they're well drawn. Violet Evergarden did way too much of this to the point it was distracting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

247 by mafuemu »»
Yesterday, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2018

298 by xyntho »»
May 17, 2:18 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

570 by xyntho »»
May 17, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2018

320 by Jumpre24 »»
May 17, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

286 by Cleints »»
May 13, 10:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.