Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 29, 2017 7:07 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is out online (premiered on NicoNico)

While I'm not impressed by the animation quality so far, I do like the characters particularly Mari. She's cute as hell.

They introduced the main characters so far and the setting looks rather normal. That Shirase Kobuchizawa is probably the most mysterious girl so far in this series. Her encounter with Mari was so priceless to watch LOL. Fun start so far.

Stark700Dec 30, 2017 1:03 PM
Dec 30, 2017 12:44 PM

Nov 2007
A good start for an anime I had planned to watch so far. Just rooting for Shirase? Just giving her a hand? That won't do! Mari, a girl who backed out for just rain alone in the last minute on her small journey will be shown how to dream big and go for a voyage beyond her wildest of imaginations by Shirase! The insert song was very beautiful as Shirase's words resonated through Mari before she mustered her courage with full determination to take the first step to embark on a journey, breaking the norms for an average highschooler! Shirase on the other hand, has found a companion after long last as everyone else either backed out or discouraged her for the very reason of being a mere highschooler! Whether they really end up landing on Antarctica will remain to be seen!

Two of the four main characters are already introduced. Hinata doesn't count in my book because we hardly know anything about her other than her working as a clerk who overheard Mari's conversation with Megumi and showing a bit of interest as she looked at the globe at the end (and showcasing No Game No Life poster). Yuzuki is yet to appear.

This might actually be a fun anime as I have hoped! Not expecting anything spectacular but it will be enjoyable. The art and animation is very clean which I really liked so far. The two characters that got introduced are adorable as well.

Stark700 said:
That Shirase Kobuchizawa is probably the most mysterious girl so far in this series.

Shirase just laid bare everything there is to about her character, her dream and how she has persisted so far in this episode alone. What do you mean by "probably the most mysterious girl so far"? Oh, I forgot. No subs are out yet.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 30, 2017 1:04 PM

Nov 2011
^ So you know everything about her character now? Interesting. Oh I forgot, it's just the first episode so far.
Dec 30, 2017 1:40 PM

Nov 2007
Stark700 said:
^ So you know everything about her character now? Interesting. Oh I forgot, it's just the first episode so far.

Oh, I forgot. I was quoting you! Colour me surprised that you actually decided to discuss an episode with another user rather than just creating threads with comments like "Oh, the chicken was crossing the road". Interesting!
Coronavirus.
Dec 31, 2017 6:12 PM
Oct 2017
A wonderful first episode!!

The ship that appeared in the first episode is "shirasu" of the Antarctic observation ship which actually exists in Japan.
It is drawn faithfully.
Jan 2, 2018 4:58 AM

Apr 2010
It looks pretty interesting so far the characters are ok so for tho.
The main seems tho be all over the place tho she seems to know what she wants but she doesn't dare to take the steps as for the other girl she doesn't seem to dare to take the steps alone.
Seems they fill in for each other.
Jan 2, 2018 6:11 AM

Apr 2016
Well, im interested.
Jan 2, 2018 6:22 AM

Sep 2016
Great start, great plot, great characters, great everything! AOTS already!
I also want to go to antartica and meet this boy!
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 2, 2018 6:23 AM

Aug 2013
Wow, Madhouse did it right, actually. Nice start, waiting for more.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 2, 2018 6:25 AM

Mar 2014
That NGNL reference

The artstyle is nice and the premise got me interested.
Jan 2, 2018 6:44 AM

Aug 2015
So first official show of the season for me with Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho and I am of to a good start.
I like the fact that they seem to go with a advanture/comming of age type of story with light comedy, instead of a pure CGDCT comedy.
Also I like the fact that they only introduced 2 of the 4 main characters so far, giving the viewer time to connect with those two and in my opinion they did a pretty good job with it. Both of them seem likable and also relatable.
So yeah more of that please. ^^
Jan 2, 2018 6:54 AM

Apr 2017
Hayami Saori and Hanazawa Kana as two of the main heroines is enough to make me happy.
Aaand I really liked the first episode. I'm always in for new original animes.
Can't stand to watch any more bad manga/novel adaptions with terrible cliffhangers that will never get a sequel.
Jan 2, 2018 6:59 AM

Jul 2015
That was a fantastic first episode IMO, it did a nice job in showing Mari's way of thinking and her fear to do new things (something that sadly is very relatable), and how that might change now that she saw someone who instead is working hard to do something that others find impossible.

The comedy was funny, the use of music was well executed in the final parts of the episode, and that NGNL reference was definitely welcome, this is just the start but I feel excited about this anime!
Jan 2, 2018 7:13 AM

May 2016
I loved this first episode and can't wait for more, I really like the art style and the direction this show is going in.
Jan 2, 2018 8:00 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty good first episode. The art and animation is decent. There was a No Game No Life reference. Two girls are off to an interesting adventure to Antarctica. Their chemistry is pretty good.
Jan 2, 2018 8:04 AM

Dec 2014
That was fantastic, I did not expect this to be this good.

To be honest, I was gonna skip this cause I already had quite a bit of other CGDCT lined up for the season but then I saw HanaKana and Hayami Saori on the seiyuu list and changed my mind, I'm glad I did. XDD

The part in the OP with the glasses going up and down cracks me up. XD
MadHouse with the NGNL references, please tell me that was a hint at a second season MadHouse. :3

Really charming start and I love both of the characters introduced so far, Mari who wants to do something with her life even though she's never been able to summon up the courage to do so and Shirase who wants to make her dream come true despite what everyone around her says. I love the vibes of determination and chasing your dreams the show is giving out and I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff, depending on how this goes it might become one of my favorites of the season.

The Insert Song at the end was beautiful, If someone knows the name of the song please do tell. :)

Those smiles at the end. <3
Jan 2, 2018 8:21 AM

Oct 2012
I was skeptical but very curious about this mainly because Madhouse was putting it out. The story and art pulled me in right away. I'm super happy Tamaki took her first step forward and feel like I'm going on the journey with her.
Jan 2, 2018 8:23 AM

Mar 2016
Cleverly directed with a lot of background humor (lit.). If the scenes in the opening are any indication, this should be a ton of fun.
Jan 2, 2018 8:38 AM
Jul 2017
I love everything of this first episode, the characters, the plot. Great beginning.
Jan 2, 2018 8:42 AM
Oct 2017
Could be promising. Who chose the colour palette, though? This looks like The Social Network. Not really suitable for this kind of show. I kind of get what they might be going for if they change the colour tone once they leave Japan, but if it doesn't happen soon, I don't think the point is worth it.
Jan 2, 2018 8:43 AM

Aug 2014
I expected nothing and this first episode gave me everything
Jan 2, 2018 8:52 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KAWAII >//////<
Jan 2, 2018 8:56 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Decent start into the new season.

The main characters are both quirky in their own ways (one determined to reach a goal, yet being great around other people who are willing to be with her, the other being insecure about doing something she's never done before but incredibly optimistic).

Humour was nice, art and animation look decent.
Jan 2, 2018 9:13 AM

Sep 2013
Good first ep, a chance encounter leads to tamaki taking the step to do something grand.
Shirase's lost money also leads to her finding a friend, now they go to an exhibition.
Jan 2, 2018 9:16 AM

Oct 2011
came here to be a hater but there's nothing to hate dammit i sincerely loved the first ep

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Jan 2, 2018 9:27 AM

Jan 2012
Pretty adorable first episode. Loved the scenes of them going away on the train together at the end. And I spotted a gamecube! Plus No Game, No Life. XD Well logistics aside this definitely has potential to be quite the enjoyable cgdct show! Hope we see some penguins! XD What are the odds on Shirase actually finding her mother though? Slim imo, but we'll see.
Jan 2, 2018 9:33 AM

Apr 2012
Oh, I have different impressions after the first episode. On the one hand, the show is clearly done with a soul, the characters are pretty and the plot is not based on fanservice. And on the other, I'm embarrassed by his message. "Run away from home while you're young and follow your dream"? I guess I'm already too old for this.

P.S First I started to "think" that "Antarctica" in this show is a euphemism for yuri, but in the end the episode became less ambiguous.
Jan 2, 2018 9:38 AM

Apr 2017
EtoileSosso said:
That NGNL reference

If only madhouse came out with second seasons too
Jan 2, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2012
Wow! I exepected classic moeblob and I got something even better, not to mention brilliant cast, HanaKana, Hayami Saori, Minase Inori, Kanemoto Hisako...

Pretty much hyped up about this show!

RobertBobert said:
I'm embarrassed by his message. "Run away from home while you're young and follow your dream"? I guess I'm already too old for this.

You got it other way around. This title is meant for adults to reflect on their their younger years, wishing they would go on such adventures too. It makes them live such adventures with this anime. And the lighthearted tone of the show was pretty much obvious.
Mich666Jan 2, 2018 9:48 AM
Jan 2, 2018 9:48 AM

Nov 2010
What a pleasant start. i like it and i shall keep on watching and watching.
Jan 2, 2018 9:50 AM

Jun 2017
Great Start, I liked this more than I expected. I'll follow this for now.
Jan 2, 2018 9:54 AM

Jan 2008
great first episode. i really like this "i'm going on an adventure" mood :-)
Jan 2, 2018 9:58 AM
Jan 2017
The story begins with Mari's very human motivation to get out of her comfort zone and do something out of the ordinary; in her case, travel to a faraway place. Her meeting with Shirase gives her the opportunity to set off on the journey she longs for, while Shirase gains a friend and someone to rely on. The premise of regular people who seek for an extraordinary adventure would seem far-fetched and corny by today's standards, but I hope this series can put an innovative spin on it. Definitely a keeper for this season!
Jan 2, 2018 10:03 AM

Apr 2012
Mich666 said:

RobertBobert said:
I'm embarrassed by his message. "Run away from home while you're young and follow your dream"? I guess I'm already too old for this.

You got it other way around. This title is meant for adults to reflect on their their younger years, wishing they would go on such adventures too. It makes them live such adventures with this anime. And the lighthearted tone of the show was pretty much obvious.

Well, I even now dream of taking a guitar and "finding" a motorcycle to travel around the country like in Easy Rider, but I'm a little scared to see how several 16-17-year-old girls run to Antarctica without even notifying this of their parents. But, this is probably a moment for jokes, rather than serious claims.
Jan 2, 2018 10:41 AM
May 2016
Loved this first episode. Great start and very beauty visuals.
Jan 2, 2018 10:54 AM

Jun 2017
Honestly I was pretty impressed. Wasn't expecting much from this, but I enjoyed the first episode really a lot. As long as they can keep the story interesting and the characters likeable, I could see this being on the top spots of Winter 2018.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Jan 2, 2018 11:16 AM

Jul 2016
I loved it! the op and ed are so good
Jan 2, 2018 11:29 AM

Oct 2011
Amazing Opening and ending song.
Jan 2, 2018 11:44 AM

May 2008
These girls are so precious I might actually die. I can't wait to watch more.
Jan 2, 2018 12:03 PM

Nov 2016
This really took me by surprise,characters seem fun and pretty lively,theme songs,OST and atmosphere in general are great, the premise is also interesting.

Overall very decent start and I'm looking forward to more.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 2, 2018 12:11 PM

Nov 2016
A very very good beginning. Lovable main characters and great music.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2018 12:15 PM

Oct 2014
Reminds me of Sakura Quest for the simplicity and all female cast. The setup is sort of similar to Made in Abyss.
'Girl wants to find her mother so she travels to a distant land'

Seems interesting so far but I don't feel like they did enough with the characters to really give a sense of who they are. I'm hoping that gets better with time. Maybe I misjudged it as a character study, but I got a feeling that they were missing the mark they were aiming for.
It's cute though, so I'll watch it anyways!
Jan 2, 2018 12:24 PM

Nov 2017
Cute girls going on an adventure? Possible suffering? Possible yuribait? Count me in.
Jan 2, 2018 12:25 PM

Dec 2015
payp20 said:
EtoileSosso said:
That NGNL reference

If only madhouse came out with second seasons too

Yeah. Not sure why bother even "promoting" it this way if we cant even get a second season. We did get a movie so maybe its referencing that.
Jan 2, 2018 12:26 PM

Jan 2013
this is adorable. madhouse with the movie-like visuals too. this and Laid Back Camp are gonna be quite chill (lol)
i was hoping glasses hair sniffer friend was gonna join the adventure until i looked closer at the key visual again :/
Jan 2, 2018 12:32 PM

Feb 2014
Honestly, the first episode really was better than I thought it would be. I'm already liking the cast and the humour that made me chuckle plenty of times. =)

Madhouse might be busy this season, but so far, they've done a pretty good job with the animation and the art, which reminds me of Tsuki Ga Kirei's art style a bit, but far more consistent in quality.

All in all, I'm hoping that this adventure will be a memorable one. There's a fair amount of CGDCT type of shows this season, so this show has already got off to a solid start. =D

Also, that NGNL cameo at the shop really was cheeky from Madhouse. Make a second season for the show already! >_<
Jan 2, 2018 12:36 PM

Apr 2016
It made me curious. It is indeed possible to go there as tourist and it might cost 1 000 000 yen or more.

So if they are 18, why not ?

Being myself a travel-lover I'm curious about how they'll deal with this thematic : realistically or not.

Watching other anime, I thought Japanese might be quite cold-feet about leaving their island for "real", so it's nice to see a show tackle the issue and maybe, maybe, give some young people the idea of trying it out. Furthermore it's always easier when you're young : no steady job, no lover, no kid, no debt (yet) and you can come back to your parent's house (if they're ok with it) and do it all over again.

I hope they'll get there.
Jan 2, 2018 12:44 PM

Nov 2007
More information on the boat they plan to board!

Japanese Icebreaker Shirase (AGB-5003)

Source: Wikipedia
Coronavirus.
Jan 2, 2018 12:45 PM

Aug 2011
wow, the directing really made me feel like i was watching a movie at some points! ishizuka probably had a lot of fun creating this. i didnt expect much out of this but it really gives off the adventure vibe more than anything, which seems like it'll be pretty fun once they set out.

also that seiyuu lineup tho

Jan 2, 2018 1:05 PM

Sep 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
It made me curious. It is indeed possible to go there as tourist and it might cost 1 000 000 yen or more.

So if they are 18, why not ?

Being myself a travel-lover I'm curious about how they'll deal with this thematic : realistically or not.

Watching other anime, I thought Japanese might be quite cold-feet about leaving their island for "real", so it's nice to see a show tackle the issue and maybe, maybe, give some young people the idea of trying it out. Furthermore it's always easier when you're young : no steady job, no lover, no kid, no debt (yet) and you can come back to your parent's house (if they're ok with it) and do it all over again.

I hope they'll get there.
yea that 1mil yen should be enough for trip to antartica
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

» Am i the only one who dropped this after 4 episodes?

Damazien - Jul 28, 2020

20 by MathMols »»
Feb 3, 1:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.