Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 15, 2017 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like the theme of growing up this episode.

We got a young Kino who happens to meet a traveler as they bond and learn more about each other. Loved that little song this episode. It was short but had a good feeling to it.

Loved the overall field scenes of this episode. Some of it felt like a magical moment and it made this episode looked really good.
Stark700Dec 15, 2017 8:46 AM
Dec 15, 2017 9:20 AM

Jun 2015
This was an amazing episode focusing on Kino. She met a traveler and they became good friends. Their singing was nice. The adults got very mad when she said she won't do the surgery and was about to "dispose" her, but the traveler jumped in and saved her. She escaped with Hermes. That country is a messed up place. Kino has been traveling ever since she left that country.
Dec 15, 2017 10:20 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I enjoyed this even more than I did in the original anime tbh....Seeing Kino's backstory still hits me deeply

This just goes to show how messed up the world of this series is where we have countries like the one she's from that are beyond fucked up
Dec 15, 2017 10:34 AM

Sep 2013
As a OG fag, the OG still gave me a stronger impact, but, over all, pretty decent episode. I really liked the symbolism they added of the flower petal and the bird flying over it at the end there, makes me wonder what Kino's name was (or just basically the name of that flower was, since her father named her after it) due to the fact that it was never confirmed, even in the LN.

Last episode coming up, oh boy~
*Screaming autistically through the screen*
Dec 15, 2017 10:56 AM

Jul 2012
That was my introduction into the Kno no tabi series as it was the first story in the new manga. So i thought it was kinda strange that the anime beginning was different cause Kino's childhood story is pretty important. It was just rearranged or the other way around. Thought that original Kino looked different and while reading thought that it was strange that he just died "like that".
Kino's singing was beatiful, both times!
Dec 15, 2017 10:58 AM

Sep 2017
Nice backstory for Kino and Hermes. But man, her country is beyond fucked, literally inhabited by lobotomized people. That last song was beautiful, now I want to hear her sing more. No wonder Hermes asked her for an encore.
Dec 15, 2017 11:07 AM

Jul 2014
Not quite as much impact as in the original series, but as with last week this was one of the best episodes of this series of Kino. Makes me wonder what Kino's original name was, before she took on that name (maybe some connection to the field of red flowers at the beginning and end).
Dec 15, 2017 11:16 AM
Dec 2016
Kino(sakura) back to home
Dec 15, 2017 11:27 AM
Jul 2016
Both this episode and the previous one have been well handled by Lerche, but i was expecting them to do some AO stuff and have Kino compare her situation with Sakura's story or something among those lines.

I still can't understand why they showed these 2 episodes in this order. It makes no sense. It's a shame really, all the emotional impact last week's episode could have had was lost. They turned "alter child Kino died" to "random girl that was nice to Kino died"
Dec 15, 2017 11:32 AM

Dec 2014
Kino's backstory episode, that was great.

Honestly Kino's country was messed up, felt really sad for her growing up in a place like that. I'm glad she was able to escape but also sad that the original Kino had to die. :(
Dec 15, 2017 11:47 AM

Nov 2016
After last weeks episode, this was yet another one from the original which I really liked.

Have to rewatch the other one to see which version I prefer tbh.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 15, 2017 12:02 PM

Jan 2011
I feel a little disconnect in the eye/hair color for this anime. We have seen Kino with green eyes and hair but in this backstory is portrayed with purple eyes and hair. Idk if I'm overlooking something.
Dec 15, 2017 12:14 PM

Dec 2014
Although everyone is still feeling for Kino(Sakura)'s backstory, but IMO, I just feel sad for the Adult Kino.

Although his worthiness is saving Sakura but his death is doesn't worth it for me.

He just die like that without his own story.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Dec 15, 2017 12:35 PM

Sep 2011
She looks like a KyoAni protag
Dec 15, 2017 1:15 PM

Aug 2013
A great episode with Kino's backstory.

Kino's country is fucked up and It's sad that the male Kino had to die like that.

Dec 15, 2017 1:17 PM

Feb 2013
That country was crazy.
Dec 15, 2017 1:29 PM

Feb 2016
IZEROII said:
I feel a little disconnect in the eye/hair color for this anime. We have seen Kino with green eyes and hair but in this backstory is portrayed with purple eyes and hair. Idk if I'm overlooking something.

There's a possibility that the director choose a subtle approach to revealing this in fact this was Kino's backstory, so they changed the hair and eye colors to slowly reveal this is Kino.
Dec 15, 2017 2:03 PM
Jun 2017
KINO IS A PROFFESIONAL SINGER
Dec 15, 2017 2:14 PM

Aug 2013
feels just....man now I see why she was so rekt over that country in the previous episode; the girl reminded her of herself
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 15, 2017 2:36 PM

Aug 2014
I loved the original designs more or so i thought at the start but i really loved the new ones as well, a great episode and even though at the start i thought the original was better, i loved this one as well, This could probably be the last time we see kino depending on the way the next episode goes.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 15, 2017 3:06 PM

Nov 2014
Maaan, and i thought that this anime cant suprise me anymore.
It so relaxing and emotional, i love it.
Dec 15, 2017 3:24 PM

Feb 2017
pintobeans said:
IZEROII said:

There's a possibility that the director choose a subtle approach to revealing this in fact this was Kino's backstory, so they changed the hair and eye colors to slowly reveal this is Kino.

That would be pretty weird of a reason taking in mind she has the same face, heck her hair color as a child had me confused for a second and had to check present day Kino's hair and eye color.

As for her name I think Sakura complaining about the name being very easy to tease her with and Kino saying the same about her former name makes me think they're the same.
Dec 15, 2017 3:52 PM

Apr 2015
Kino's backstory was quite a surprise to me, that's one messed up country!
Dec 15, 2017 3:54 PM

Mar 2014
Jeez not as dramatic compare to the orginal series for me but still this was a Brillaint episode.

Any novel readers, do you know if she ever returns to her homeplace at all?
(I know its crazy to think why would she but still..curiosity)
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Dec 15, 2017 4:06 PM

Dec 2015
I loved thus episode. I recently got some free time, and so I decided to watch the old Kino no Tabi, which this was an episode of. I really like how clean and beautiful this series animation is, and the staging of some of the scenes in the Country of Adults episodes were much more effective in this version.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen the original yet, I would recommend it. The art isn't as amazing but the story telling is great. Also with the exception of the Colosseum, the Kind Country, the Country of Adults, the countries Kino visits are totally different.

That being said, I loved seeing this version of Kino receive a backstory episode. Also Hermes was great at the end
It's not the Slates that is essential to people. What we need is...
Well...
A small table to share a meal... That's more than enough.

That's my conclusion. The answer I've reached as the Silver King.
Dec 15, 2017 4:13 PM
Mar 2013
OMG I loved this episode, too many feelings! Each episode that passes my love for this anime increases. It's amazing to see how it demonstrates Kino's and Hermes' "subjective" emotions, and at each end of the episode causes the feeling of "I need to see the next episode!", "What will happen now ..." and this kind of thing. If you still haven't watched it yet, please give it a try because this masterpiece is wonderful!

I was wondering, is it worth to see the original work (2003)?
Dec 15, 2017 4:31 PM

Nov 2016
HueyLion said:

Any novel readers, do you know if she ever returns to her homeplace at all?
(I know its crazy to think why would she but still..curiosity)

Not yet. Probably never considering she's now (post-ship country) in another continent.

Luxeraph said:
]
That would be pretty weird of a reason taking in mind she has the same face, heck her hair color as a child had me confused for a second and had to check present day Kino's hair and eye color.

As for her name I think Sakura complaining about the name being very easy to tease her with and Kino saying the same about her former name makes me think they're the same.

The color changes in this anime were more artistic choice, depends on the lightning. Like that virtue point country was blue, I think ship country also have similar color as this episode.

Not Sakura, it's the flower we see in this episode.
Dec 15, 2017 4:36 PM
Nov 2016
i love this series, hope we get more back story to something like how Kino meets Master.

On another note, I'm kind of OCD when it comes to anime like this where the time line jumps around noticeably. Anyone know of how the episodes would go so far chronologically?
Dec 15, 2017 4:44 PM

Sep 2008
Not a bad spin on the "Land of Adults" story compared to the 2003 anime, though the 2003 spin on it was more subdued in handling how things escalate when Kino rejects the brainwashing procedure that made the cruel twist of it more impactful. Kino's father sounded crazed for the 2017 version compared to the older anime.
Dec 15, 2017 5:31 PM

Jan 2014
This episode had God-like directing. I never watched the original, but judging from the comments this is her real backstory.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 15, 2017 5:42 PM

May 2009
Mouloxas said:
I still can't understand why they showed these 2 episodes in this order. It makes no sense. It's a shame really, all the emotional impact last week's episode could have had was lost. They turned "alter child Kino died" to "random girl that was nice to Kino died"

Because it's more subtle this way while too obvious the other way. Now (for someone who didn't know about this story) when you went back watching the previous episode, he can see it differently, like with Kino's first line to the flower girl(s).
Dec 15, 2017 6:26 PM

Nov 2016
K4ppin said:
i love this series, hope we get more back story to something like how Kino meets Master.

On another note, I'm kind of OCD when it comes to anime like this where the time line jumps around noticeably. Anyone know of how the episodes would go so far chronologically?

nobody knows, not even the writer.

The only thing we know are Master's story is set few decades before Kino's, land of adult hapened few years before Kino sarted her journey, Kind land happened early in her journey (got woodsman), Coliseum happened sometime after kind land (she already have Woodsman), Ship country happened sometime after coliseum, and finally Radiowave country shortly after Ship country. The rest are unknown, but most likely either after kind contry, or coliseum, or ship country.
Dec 15, 2017 6:31 PM
Aug 2014
Can't have a fcked up country without a creepy priest involved.
Dec 15, 2017 6:45 PM

Aug 2008
I miss the OP and ED songs.

Great story, just like the original episode. However, the original anime had that music playing when Kino escaped, but this one didn't have any music. I kind of missed that music.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Dec 15, 2017 6:57 PM
Mar 2016
Ok so to my understanding when you become an adult which is 12 years old in this anime you get to have a surgery which basically is an anti depressant surgery on the brain and according to some fans who have seen the old anime the country is not bad at all as kids were playing around and adults are working happy jobs that sounds actually fine except the part where they tried to kill little Kino

Im starting to see a trend where fans hates reasonably good countries as fucked up or messed up even if people in that country are happy and living conditions are great like the reaction most people gave on the radio country that other than the radio slave misconception and low crime rate which happens every few years everything else in that country sounds great
Dec 15, 2017 7:44 PM

Oct 2008
jomarggg said:
Ok so to my understanding when you become an adult which is 12 years old in this anime you get to have a surgery which basically is an anti depressant surgery on the brain and according to some fans who have seen the old anime the country is not bad at all as kids were playing around and adults are working happy jobs that sounds actually fine except the part where they tried to kill little Kino

Im starting to see a trend where fans hates reasonably good countries as fucked up or messed up even if people in that country are happy and living conditions are great like the reaction most people gave on the radio country that other than the radio slave misconception and low crime rate which happens every few years everything else in that country sounds great

Er... What? Neither of those countries is fine. In the first one, free will is completely disregarded while in the second one, crimes all go unpunished and people outsource the blame.
Dec 15, 2017 8:36 PM

Mar 2014
I miss the little details of the original one. The dialogue between Kino and Sakura was a bit boring, but the stab scene was alright.
I also realized there was no "Whenever people see birds flying..." scene. I looked at the novel and this scene wasn't there either. Is this phrase present only on the 2003 version?

Also, I hate how they putted this right after Kind Country. This episode should've been right at the start. Somewhere like episode 4 or 5.
Dec 15, 2017 8:59 PM

Dec 2014
ok so kino back story...I still wonder how she met the master she keeps talking about,,, Alas last episode to go
Dec 15, 2017 9:00 PM

Dec 2013
Damn that episode hit hard. I was slow and didn't realize the little girl was Kino until Kino's parents started the murder attempt, but when I realized I was like, geez. No wonder Kino's so strong-willed now.
Dec 15, 2017 10:27 PM
Jul 2016
EdHaku said:
I also realized there was no "Whenever people see birds flying" scene. I looked at the novel and this scene wasn't there either. Is this phrase present only on the 2003 version?

Don't know if it was exclusive to the 2003 version, but they did allude to it with the visuals in this episode.

derprume said:
Can't have a fucked up country without a creepy priest involved.

Now that you mention it, i'm 99% certain that in the original anime there was no church, they were told about the operation at school and the one dealing with male Kino at the end was some kind of police inspector and not a creepy priest. Don't know how it is in the source material, but this adaptation sure loves its religious implications.

Djidji said:
Mouloxas said:

Because it's more subtle this way while too obvious the other way. Now (for someone who didn't know about this story) when you went back watching the previous episode, he can see it differently, like with Kino's first line to the flower girl(s).

I think being too obvious is actually the point, how else are you supposed to feel for Kino and Sakura? Especially for Kino, who usually shows little to no emotion, it's impossible to understand why she was so devestated without watching this episode first.

Luxeraph said:
pintobeans said:

There's a possibility that the director chose a subtle approach to revealing this in fact this was Kino's backstory, so they changed the hair and eye colors to slowly reveal this is Kino.

Also, here, we already know that Kino is a girl and the episode starts with her monologue about how she met the traveller Kino. So, from the moment we see that the traveller is not the Kino we know, the little girl's identity becomes a dead giveaway.
Dec 15, 2017 11:25 PM

Jan 2010

I disliked the overtly hostile and in-your-face use of screaming and creepy smiles to express how seethingly evil everyone apparently is. I disliked the shaking screen to try and make the scene feel intense, as compounded with everything else, it felt like visual overkill. I disliked how the surgery bomb was dropped so quickly without much build up, despite it being the core issue of the episode. I dislike the over-emphasis on singing, as it takes away from the two Kinos actually conversing. I dislike that church-like scene. The surgery feels more like a brainwashing cult than a country that's implementing a recognized system that, while is completely insane for any foreigner, would be a regular way of life here. The hostilities towards the end of the episode feels more like the effects of said brainwashing than a break in common sense, at least in the views of its citizens. To put it in another way, it would have been more effective if the citizens acted more "normal," for lack of a better word, as to make the sudden flip towards the end feel more impactful. I disliked the way Kino died, as in I disliked the monologue beforehand as well as the father's slow walking. It interrupted the pace of the scene and made the murder feel jarring and stilted. [/rant]

Anyways, now that I got that out of my system, I'll say that the absence of background music was extremely welcomed. In fact, there wasn't an OP or ED, which made the episode feel more theatrical in a sense. Though, even with that extra time for episode content, the episode itself still felt starved for content somehow. I'm not sure what happened, but it felt like barely anything actually happened between the older Kino's arrival and the younger Kino's departure. Still, I digress. The point is that I liked the focus on dialogue without having background music take up too much attention.

Also, some of the imagery used was quite good, including the image up above that I promptly saved. The episode feels like a series of set pieces, which does work to make the episode feel acted, but it doesn't really lend well to make its moments flow into each other very smoothly. But, at the very least, those moments at least look good.

Lastly, I had two observations: the older Kino never put on his long coat, and after years, I just noticed that the idea of people being born into their occupations, predetermined by birth, implies very strongly a caste system with rigid social stratification that makes me think of things that probably extend far beyond what the story itself was trying to get across. For that, I'd at least give the story itself credit for still having things in it that I've yet to personally uncover, but in all honesty, I didn't like this episode very much.

I've said this before in previous posts, but it's this adaptation's own interpretation of a story, and if I wanted to bask in my own nostalgia, I could relive by either re-reading the light novel or rewatching the 2003 version, but as far as sticking to this adaptation to see how Kino's Journey can perform in 2017, it's been one hell of a ride to the very end. There's one episode left, and whatever reservations I may have about the show's relative and independent quality, I'm still thankful that this exists. The fact that I'm able to talk about Kino's Journey today as a currently airing series is near miraculous, but if I could be greedy for a moment and have my way, I do wish it could stop being so......unsubtle.
Dec 15, 2017 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
She used to be a cute girl before eventually turning into a boy.
Dec 16, 2017 12:31 AM

Aug 2016
The screaming part was very scary though. I think it must be due to the surgery that the adults become mad.

The sad part is that there are societies in our world who are like the people in the country of adults, totally irrational and cruel.
Dec 16, 2017 12:38 AM

Nov 2015
woah easily best episode from Kino so far. Part of me wish this cute little girl would travel with Kino:D that dude was really cool.
Dec 16, 2017 12:40 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
..ote.] i think you are in the correct!!!
Dec 16, 2017 1:01 AM

Jan 2014
Djidji said:

I very much disagree with this take personally. To me it's less of a question of "is it not subtle enough" and more of "what affect did it have on the narrative in general," and to me, changing the chronology with Kind Country first and Country of Adults afterwards was an unnecessary change that didn't really make a lot of sense.

The parallels between Kino and the girl from Kind Country are imo supposed to be obvious. They're established because the girl is basically Kino if she was placed under different circumstances, ala when the girl was given the choice to become a traveler versus taking after her parents. They exist in order to make an emotional connection with the girl and how similarly she takes after Kino, which plays into why the conclusion of the episode was so tragic.

If you don't make those parallels first by placing the Country of Adults beforehand, then the entire reason to establish those parallels are lost and it's impossible to see why Kino was so devastated by the outcome outside of the more superficial reasons.

I understand the criticism that it may have been too obvious (even if I disagree with it), but placing Country of Adults afterwards is a lazy way to do it and doesn't actually add anything as replacement. It was a re-ordering of the episodes that was imo completely unnecessary.

Shocked said:

I disliked the overtly hostile and in-your-face use of screaming and creepy smiles to express how seethingly evil everyone apparently is. I disliked the shaking screen to try and make the scene feel intense, as compounded with everything else, it felt like visual overkill.

I agree specifically with this part here. I think a trend with Lerche's interpretation of Kino is that to me, they interpret a message and tone and try to force it too much with the music choice and overly emotive facial expressions. In most other anime I think this is sort of acceptable even if I don't like it, but it really doesn't fit in a series like Kino where the series parallels parables rather than story arcs; the lack of music and emotive expressions helped create a more clean slate, which imo compliments the more thought-provoking themes/structures of the show.

tl;dr Old Kino episodes felt like a tale/parable as Kino sees them. Kino (2017) just feels more centered around Kino herself in a more story/plot-focused fashion, which imo makes it more generic.
KayBDec 16, 2017 1:08 AM
Dec 16, 2017 1:12 AM

Aug 2013
watched this episode twice (original & this remaster)
and I just realized that at that country, 12yro is considered as an adult
BOI LEGAL LOLIS

sry
Dec 16, 2017 1:24 AM

Sep 2011
I liked that we got Kino's backstories but these countries are starting to get way too unbelievable.
Dec 16, 2017 3:34 AM

May 2009
Mouloxas said:
Djidji said:

I think being too obvious is actually the point, how else are you supposed to feel for Kino and Sakura? Especially for Kino, who usually shows little to no emotion, it's impossible to understand why she was so devestated without watching this episode first.

People did feel for Sakura while not knowing Kino's backstory yet. And that's where the rewatching value make sense. It's the same as Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 or Kaiba where knowing some facts beforehand would create more understanding.

KayB said:
Djidji said:

I very much disagree with this take personally. To me it's less of a question of "is it not subtle enough" and more of "what affect did it have on the narrative in general," and to me, changing the chronology with Kind Country first and Country of Adults afterwards was an unnecessary change that didn't really make a lot of sense.

The parallels between Kino and the girl from Kind Country are imo supposed to be obvious. They're established because the girl is basically Kino if she was placed under different circumstances, ala when the girl was given the choice to become a traveler versus taking after her parents. They exist in order to make an emotional connection with the girl and how similarly she takes after Kino, which plays into why the conclusion of the episode was so tragic.

If you don't make those parallels first by placing the Country of Adults beforehand, then the entire reason to establish those parallels are lost and it's impossible to see why Kino was so devastated by the outcome outside of the more superficial reasons.

I understand the criticism that it may have been too obvious (even if I disagree with it), but placing Country of Adults afterwards is a lazy way to do it and doesn't actually add anything as replacement. It was a re-ordering of the episodes that was imo completely unnecessary.

Well, we have different opinions on that matter. ^^
Having the Land of the Adult first will make you thing about the Kind Land too much as a "remake" of Kino's story and you will do a direct parallel between the two stories.
It's like the story would say: "This is Kino's backstory and now look the new Kino watching herself in a blurry mirror."
The way the 17's did it is like: "This is the story of Sakura. This is the story of Kino. Did you catch the parallel?"
This way, your attention got distract by the other Kino and the creation of Hermes instead of "simply" seeing it as a "remake" of a flower's story. Watching the previous episode once more will make you realize the emotional impact between the two stories.
I can't say one way is better than the other, I just prefer how the 17's did it. But this way, it made the two stories stand by themselves when watching them then add an other layer if you do the connection after or if you rewatch the Kind Land.
I don't get why it would be lazy way to do tho.
Dec 16, 2017 4:06 AM

Mar 2013
Wonderful Episode... I don't watch the Original series yet, but I pretty much like It.

Nice backstory for Kino and Hermes. Her country is so messed up, in addition with the allowance of the murder of a child who defy their rules. Also quite shocking when the Original Kino saved her...

The songs was pretty relaxing.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

» Which one is better? 2003 or 2017?

SgtBateMan - Sep 13, 2021

9 by Videogamecoper »»
Dec 14, 2023 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.