Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 11, 2017 9:28 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
nice and happines resolution for this small arc!!!!
The lovers story was sad, but the man was cheated by this sorcerer!!!
Nov 11, 2017 3:40 PM
May 2017
All aboard the feels train.
Nov 11, 2017 8:34 PM
Mar 2012
Unnerving wood scene, the atmosphere sound & jump cut all gave their horror. Tho he's tricked still no pity for Matthew. Chise the onmyouji doesn't cleanse them but has Ariel turn them into seeds/petals. Interesting to see Chise's resolve & changes, not just self loathing.
Nov 12, 2017 6:37 AM
Jul 2018
Matthew is a worldwide fool to very easily trust that sorcerer. Digging your own grave, what else can I say.
Nov 12, 2017 7:34 AM
Oct 2016
What was this episode? I disliked it. Was it Mina's first time to drink that potion? What if she had drunk it at home in the bed with not knowing anything and no tears?
Nov 12, 2017 9:45 PM

Jan 2013
As i've said previously, it was a test for her and she passed it. I like how honest her answer was, yet being so true.
What a sad story...like damn, i wasn't expecting something so sad. But he did that to save her, all he did was just to try to save her, but he got tricked by that sorcerer. What a tragic story, at least they are free now.
Absolutely in love with this anime, the art, the designs, everything is so amazing.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 13, 2017 1:51 AM
Nov 2017
It was very heart warming when chise ignored what the sorcerers told her about Elias

But I have to admit I luaphed when mina just melted that quick and how the little sorcerer acted
Nov 14, 2017 9:19 AM

Oct 2017
I am loving this.

Only problem I have is that the husband got a nicer fate than he deserved. Much nicer.

But then, I'm a cat lover.
Nov 15, 2017 1:46 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty dark episode really showing the effects of love on someone who knows there is nothing they can do in their current state or with their current power level. Goddamn the wandering sorcerer, what a cuck
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 15, 2017 8:21 PM

Sep 2015
So damn edgy. Didn't expect that. Not just the serious and unpleasant plot. But the serious gore and disturbing imagery as well. Didn't think my jaw could go any lower. When the girl just straight up exploded all over crazy man. I didn't know how I felt about the previous episode. But this was one of my favorites so far. Wonder if that little shit evil mage kid will come back?
Nov 16, 2017 1:57 AM

Jul 2009
What a sad story that couple had thanks to that awful wizard, he just used them to make an experience...
Nov 17, 2017 9:40 AM
Sep 2017
interesting

this is my favourite anime
Nov 23, 2017 9:33 AM

May 2015
Killer Cats ftw. s
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 3, 2017 2:20 AM

Mar 2010
TheCatlover192 said:
I've been reading the comments on here and I keep thinking to myself "Are we really going to ignore the fact that Matthew is an insane lunatic?"

I get that he really loves Mina and would do anything for her. I get that he was tricked by the sorcerer. However, he killed cats knowing that Mina liked them and would probably not be happy seeing them get killed. And what happens when she finds out?

HE DOESN'T FUCKING BAT AN EYE.

Maybe I'm a bit biased here, what with my username and all, but if I were in Mina's position and I reunited with Matthew, I'd tell him to go fuck himself.

i'm glad someone else said it. i don't care if he was tricked, i cannot stand matthew and i'm honestly pissed off by this ending where he gets to live happily ever after. it irritated me to all hell, the guy doesn't even acknowledge any wrongdoing whatsoever. there is zero fucking redemption. he just sees mina and is like OH WHERE WERE YOU?!?! i wanted to punch his goddamn teeth out.
Dec 5, 2017 3:44 AM

Jul 2015
Damn... when Mina turned into goo from drinking the blood. It messed me. Sad for that to happen to a couple that loved each other so much.
Then there's Matthew literally losing his mind... weep.
Great episode, am enjoying the series
Dec 6, 2017 1:57 AM

Mar 2014
That insert song and the final scene were amazing.
Dec 13, 2017 4:10 PM

Oct 2012
This series is all imagery and then the story goes in the drain... yeah, it's honestly nice looking and it has great atmosphere that's very thoughtprovoking but on the other hand it leaves many things unexplained and vain - way too many things to my taste.

What actually happened in the end? What purpose the king cat served if Chise was the one doing ferryman? Why did she took them to her inner mind before she let them go, how exactly did she did it (whatever she asked the fairy for, she clearly wouldn't be able to even think about that with no propor magic education). They clearly left everything to viewer to interpret it (and it may seem cool to you because those are your own ideas) but in doing so they manage to avoid all the answers.. as they did several times before.
Very easy way out I would say.

For what Matthew did, I found it really annoying that she wanted give him a peace - after what she saw the story wasn't lined up for happy-end (or did she think it was all just ill-will of that evil mage? cause if anyone he's is the one who should be punished for what happened)

And as far as Elias goes I found it extremely jarring that she declared she would be staying by his side even when she learned of her mortality and that he is basically only using her only as a tool. She didn't even questioned that in any way. Either she doesn't want to live or not, either this series is about fatalism or about hope but not both! That scene certainly lacked proper build-up for her to do that.
Dec 18, 2017 1:49 PM

Mar 2012
I know the Matthew guy was desperate to save his waifu but dam is he stupid for believing the sketchy mage. Also doesn't know how to lock a door apparently.
Dec 18, 2017 9:46 PM

Jan 2013
Sufficiently dark story, ended up being more interesting than I thought part way through.
Jan 2, 2018 2:23 PM
Apr 2014
omfg I was so scared for the cat the whole time. They set so many death flags and almost went through with it. Glad Chise saved her from sacrificing herself.

The interruption at the end of the last ep and beginning of this one was kinda out of place though. I mean it was nice to see her resolve but how was that the end of it? First those two talk big and then they just fuck off when they are told to do so? Might as well have skipped that part in its entirety and just go through with the cleansing.
Feb 17, 2018 3:34 PM
Oct 2017
Well that was sad, I’m sure that we’ll see that Alchemist from the past again.
Feb 21, 2018 7:49 AM

Dec 2014
i dont know if i like this series i mean from where did she even pull the last minute plan of saving molly and Matthew then suddenly u c the aerial praising chise for telling the aerial whats she's capable of. Other than this glaring issue i think it was a good episode. still though i have a hard time accepting chise as main character, In the ova she had a far better and believable personality..
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Mar 15, 2018 8:49 AM

Dec 2016
Now I understand why Matthew became like that... the sorcerer manipulated his mind! My heart got crushed not only for Matthew killing those cats but for the fact he decided to do what he did believing he could save his wife. The moment when Mina exploded that black liquid caught me off guard. What a tragic ending those two got :( Hoping Chise will make a stop to that evil sorcerer if she'll find him again before he will sacrifice more lives with those kind of experiments.
PurpleGirl203Mar 15, 2018 8:53 AM

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Mar 22, 2018 7:31 PM

Oct 2013
That was powerful...

I get the feeling this series is taking the Mushishi route, dedicating every episode or mini-arc on solving the ecosystem. I don't know if that's good or bad; we'll see how it holds up. So far the series hasn't hooked me the way it has others, but this might have been the best episode yet.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 27, 2018 6:35 PM

Feb 2014
oh well.. so this anime is revealing his true colors? I was expecting more... guess this will based in nonsense stupid gore drama.
Mar 29, 2018 3:15 AM
Jun 2017
A lot of death in this series and it's only been 5 episodes.
Apr 9, 2018 3:28 AM

Aug 2010
Cat killer got much better ending than he deserved.
Apr 12, 2018 9:20 AM

Apr 2009
That's why the cats distrust and hates the sorcerers guts, one of them started this mess as an experiment and it ended in failure. Just another research material for these scientists..uhm sorcerers. LOL

So she's fated to die soon because her body can't handle her friggin' nuclear fusion of unlimited magical energy supply? O_o Well that sucks.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 9, 2018 9:26 PM

May 2012
Quite the dark yet very lovely episode. That ending was just too great! Chise is really getting a hang of it and well it makes it all the better.

Really looking forwards to see what happens next to be honest but well I am really starting to love this anime.
Oct 3, 2018 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
I had a good feeling about this anime back when I was seeing some images and such when Random Curiosity was covering it and, so far, it's living up to that feeling. What I don't really get is the "it's not unique" crow, yeah maybe the themes of death and Chise growing to perhaps value her life now that it is in danger has been done before but....so what? It has so far been pretty interesting how the subject is handled I think the dragon and cat arcs have done a good job of supplementing that point. Some great imagery and music too.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 10, 2018 3:19 PM

Feb 2012
So Matthew was making a philosphers stone our of cats lol?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 17, 2018 8:04 PM

May 2013
Loved it. My prediction was right that Matthew became the neko murderer >.<
So sad. I'm glad they were set free. But this means that evil sorcerer would likely appear later on :3

My fave part was when Elias licked Chise's neck wound *heart eyes* Super sexy ;D ;D
Nov 8, 2018 5:34 PM

Apr 2015
I wish someone would lick my neck like that.

Wow, drinking another being’s blood can fuck your shit up. No surprise there. Crazy goddamn alchemist.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 4, 2019 8:55 AM

Mar 2015
I love cats very much so this episode was a bit painful to watch but it ended positively!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 5, 2019 11:43 AM

Sep 2018
Interesting and very engaging episode, poignant even at the end. The twists even this time are missing, great!
Dec 5, 2019 3:02 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Mathew and Mina's story was beautiful, not for the cats though.
Mar 1, 2020 3:16 AM

Apr 2013
Good thing that Chise did not get swayed by the talk of people who hold a dagger to her throat, that happens too often in anime. Wonder if we'll see that sorcerer from the past again, what a scumbag.
Apr 22, 2020 3:07 AM

Jun 2013
It was pretty obvious from the last episode that Matthew went Jason Voorhees on those cats. Still, seeing him slaughter cats was unsettling. I feel sick to my stomach whenever I see animals and children being abused whether it's fictional or not.

I understand that he did for his wife but I still can't sympathize with him. I don't feel sorry for Mina much since we don't know much about her either except that she's frail, likes her pet Tim who is the king and turned into caca after drinking kitty blood.

I want to see that demon again though. He cute. At least Molly didn't die, the little girl can have a kitty mama.
臭い-
May 24, 2020 9:18 AM

Mar 2010
Being deceived sucks especially if your doing it out of blind love. To only do more harm than good. Well I can't say I feel bad for those cats getting slaughtered though. We do it all the time with other animals. Life is only for those who seek death. Death is life. How we live in between is up to us.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 13, 2020 2:56 AM

Feb 2017
Wow, this show is mesmerizing. The high fantasy/slice of life paring is magnificent, the atmosphere is beautiful and almost hypnotic, and the poignant and macabre moments as Chise is forced to confront death and tragedy... I think I might love this show.

My heart almost broke when I thought Chise was going to have to obliterate them and also sacrifice Molly... she’s so deeply scarred, yet still cares for others so much. I don’t think she believes in her own happiness, but I do think she believes in protecting others’ happiness. Now that she knows her time is limited, I wonder if it’ll even change anything in her. She’s the type to self sacrifice everything, valuing every life except her own and bringing about her own self-destruction in the process. Hopefully Elias can protect her, not only from others but from herself.

tl;dr Chise is my baby girl, please protect her at all costs. Let her learn to love herself.
Sep 13, 2020 2:56 AM

Feb 2017
Wow, this show is mesmerizing. The high fantasy/slice of life paring is magnificent, the atmosphere is beautiful and almost hypnotic, and the poignant and macabre moments as Chise is forced to confront death and tragedy... I think I might love this show.

My heart almost broke when I thought Chise was going to have to obliterate them and also sacrifice Molly... she’s so deeply scarred, yet still cares for others so much. I don’t think she believes in her own happiness, but I do think she believes in protecting others’ happiness. Now that she knows her time is limited, I wonder if it’ll even change anything in her. She’s the type to self sacrifice everything, valuing every life except her own and bringing about her own self-destruction in the process. Hopefully Elias can protect her, not only from others but from herself.

tl;dr Chise is my baby girl, please protect her at all costs. Let her learn to love herself.
Nov 8, 2020 12:12 PM

May 2016
Man this was worst choice to watch after a bad day I felt miserable.
Dec 20, 2020 4:17 AM

Jul 2017
Phenomenal episode again, this show is off to an even better start than I remembered and I really loved the start too when I was watching it weekly. Chise's scene when declining the option to be free by Renfred, stating that Elias was the first person to recognize her as family and see the value of who she really is rather than abuse her physically and psychologically and wanting to throw her out, or betray her by taking their own life like her very own mother. She may be dying early but given everything that happened, she would rather die with someone who called her genuinely like family than leave that.

The story with Matthew and Mina was pretty tragic but sadly, stories like these are far too common even in the real world. Matthew doing anything in his power to help his wife cure her illness, but sadly just meeting the wrong person to give advice to him, which led to both his and his wife's downfall at the very end when the potion Matthew made from killing cats and using their extra lives per say, failed and just made her wife explode and die in the process. The cat king even had to take him out since he was too much of a demon to be alive, despite him knowing how Matthew was a great person who just fell into the wrong hands and bought into the demon's methods per say.

Atleast Chise with the assistance of the fairies, managed to help cleanse Matthew and Mina and carry them to the afterlife where the corruption that held them in darkness for eternity would no longer be the barrier between them and finding peace in the afterlife. The scene where they met each other again, and embraced in the afterlife with the help of the wind was really touching, the way the show's able to craft stories like these with new characters is astounding and Chise's the perfect kind of character to help them and grow herself while still showing a genuine personality already too already. Violet Evergarden's character has nothing at all in comparison to Chise Hatori for me. Glad to see everything go well as Chise's potential as a mage really is blossoming, and so is her loyalty to Elias, who has exposed Chise to a world where she can grow out of her shell and develop her own character through learning many people's different experiences and knowledge and using her powers to assist them out.

Also, the music and animation was stellar as usual again, especially during the final scene with Matthew and Mina happily and tearfully reunite in the afterlife in a powerful scene. The audiovisual presentation has been outstanding so far like the content.
May 17, 2021 1:42 AM

Aug 2019
this show is getting better with each episode, couldn’t imagine how it feels to see your loved one get turned into a puddle of goop in your arms
May 18, 2021 11:23 PM
Oct 2019
by far my least favorite episode. had to skip through the end of the backstory and most of the "purification" at the end. once we saw the black goo form and the cats kill the dude, it became a total snooze fest
Jun 15, 2021 2:30 PM

Jan 2021
I hope that in the later episodes the sorcerer that deceived mathew pays for what he did if he appears again
Jul 4, 2021 2:35 PM
Sep 2020
Well their story was very sad but in the end they had a happy ending , kind of !!! At least Chise found a way to let them go without erasing them !!! She is pretty smart !!

Very emotional episode !! I felt like crying at times , this anime really is something special its very good !!!
Jul 22, 2021 7:24 PM
Apr 2016
Sad episode I ever seen
Oct 20, 2021 3:53 PM

Sep 2017
So basically Sorcerer = bad.
Oct 24, 2021 3:13 PM

Jan 2021
Holy shit I'm sorry but I bursted out laughing when she exploded, I hate myself AHEAHAAHHAHA.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.