Forum Settings
Forums

I don't get emotional over anime anymore. Help.

New
Oct 30, 2017 3:28 PM
Feb 2017
You may think I'm lying, but anime has never made me cry. I've watched shows such as Clannad, Angel Beats, Anohana, and others that I cannot name off the top of my head. Not a single one has defeated me.

Of course, they made me emotional. Emotional in such a way that I may want to cry. But never did it happen.

But now, watching such shows doesn't even make me emotional. It's as if i've become desensitized to it. Is there something wrong with me? I'd like to enjoy emotional shows again.
Oct 30, 2017 3:31 PM

Dec 2014
Plenty of people don't cry over the standard "tear jerker" anime, so you're not alone in that regard.
If you've become desensitized to said tear-jerkers that's not a problem if you ask me. They're emotionally manipulative and lacking in real substance more often than not. There are likely far more emotional anime you just have yet to see.
Oct 30, 2017 3:31 PM

Feb 2013
You got used to it.
Watch different types of anime, if you watch only drama you will get bored of it eventually.
To be honest, I get emotional a lot on sad moments on any kind of anime, I can drop a tear even in a sports anime when they lose a important game, I'm not even going to talk about super sad anime that makes me cry every time I see it.
Oct 30, 2017 3:33 PM

Oct 2016
I hated angel beats and didn't cry over it either. Anohana was also just really 'meh :/' to me, but I did cry over Charlotte. That really was a ride.
Oct 30, 2017 3:35 PM

Sep 2017
That is normal op. When you've watched too much drama or so much shit happened in your life you start to stop giving less fucks.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 30, 2017 3:42 PM

Jul 2016
I can't cry over anime either, although I came close once. I'm just looking to be entertained when I watch stuff, it doesn't need to wreck your feels to be enjoyable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2017 3:43 PM

Apr 2014
You don't need to, as they are cartoons and why get emotional over fucking cartoons.
Oct 30, 2017 3:46 PM

Apr 2017
If you're worried about not crying, try imagining yourself in my boots. No matter what happens, I can't really cry. I'm not talking about anime only, I'm talking about everything. If somebody I know dies, yeah, I do feel sad, but can't cry over it whoever the person is. I don't know why. When I was a kid, I used to cry over every single thing I couldn't get or was stopped doing something, but now I just can't cry, no matter what happens.
So no worries about you not crying over anime...
Oct 30, 2017 4:20 PM

Feb 2013
_Goldee_ said:
If you're worried about not crying, try imagining yourself in my boots. No matter what happens, I can't really cry. I'm not talking about anime only, I'm talking about everything. If somebody I know dies, yeah, I do feel sad, but can't cry over it whoever the person is. I don't know why. When I was a kid, I used to cry over every single thing I couldn't get or was stopped doing something, but now I just can't cry, no matter what happens.
So no worries about you not crying over anime...
wew lad that sounds a lot like my life story
until in 12th grade or so with watching RahXephon i shed a manly tear and since then it's more common
Oct 30, 2017 4:40 PM

Oct 2017
You must have a happy life.

Most of the time I cry (most, not everytime) is when I relate something sad to my life. It is hard for me to get emotional (hard, not impossible) unless I make some kind of connection with something that I already experienced.

We can only have good tea
while we're alive.

Oct 30, 2017 4:47 PM
Aug 2012
nymi said:
That is normal op. When you've watched too much drama or so much shit happened in your life you start to stop giving less fucks.

Doubtful, I have had a tough life and even then the only time I cried to any anime was when I was 8. People need to man up.
Oct 30, 2017 4:49 PM

Feb 2016
Congrats, you're now immune to cheap emotional manipulation; that's all these shows have going for them
Oct 30, 2017 4:49 PM
Feb 2012
For me it mostly has to do with whether or not I can relate to the feelings being portrayed. I tend to feel more when watching tear-jerkers if im going through something, I can remember Death Parade got to me quite a bit
Oct 30, 2017 5:09 PM

Jan 2014
You're probably just dead on the inside. It's perfectly normal.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 30, 2017 5:58 PM

Oct 2015
I never cried to those anime you mentioned. The anime that I cried, or at least teared a bit is To Love-Ru. No joke.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Oct 30, 2017 6:01 PM

Apr 2010
Someone please help Abe091 to become an edgelord again,lol
Oct 30, 2017 6:46 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
You're probably not finding something that connects with you. Once you find a story or emotion to latch onto in a character you'll be more inclined to empathize and in turn cry about it. Personally, I find the Key stuff pretty dramatic but that works for some people.
Oct 30, 2017 6:52 PM

Feb 2010
idk maybe watch some better emotional shows like Bokurano, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 or Now and Then, Here and There
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 30, 2017 7:03 PM
Jul 2018
Go play Narcissu. Have fun, bring tissues.
Oct 30, 2017 7:06 PM

Jun 2017
mmhhmmm maybe you should try The Green Mile , that shit will always make me cry as fuck , my God poor John Coffey ...

Oct 30, 2017 7:09 PM

Dec 2016
The emotional response has never to do with the nature, intentions, tone or structure of the show, but rather with your own, personal experience.
Oct 30, 2017 7:39 PM
Jun 2017
you're actively looking for a show that make you emotional
that usually back fired
just go watch the high rating/critical acclaim out there, there're bound to make you emotional on the way
Oct 30, 2017 7:48 PM

Dec 2013
Abe091 said:
You may think I'm lying, but anime has never made me cry. I've watched shows such as Clannad, Angel Beats, Anohana, and others that I cannot name off the top of my head. Not a single one has defeated me.

Of course, they made me emotional. Emotional in such a way that I may want to cry. But never did it happen.

But now, watching such shows doesn't even make me emotional. It's as if i've become desensitized to it. Is there something wrong with me? I'd like to enjoy emotional shows again.

Visual novels would probably be better at making you cry if anime can't do it.

“Please take responsibility, okay?”

Oct 30, 2017 7:52 PM

Aug 2016
You do not need help. You are already on the right path.
Oct 30, 2017 7:55 PM

Jul 2017
Wow I cry too much if anything.I cried over Angel Beats and Charlotte easily and a lot of others have made me emotional.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Oct 30, 2017 7:59 PM

Feb 2015
Dude you're not alone... I've cried only about 8 times in the entire span of my anime watching... And usually it's to animes that aren't even supposed to make you cry...

But yeah I tend not to cry either... I'll be touched but never cry...
Oct 30, 2017 8:05 PM

May 2017
Maybe you r dead from the inside? ....just kidding
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2017 12:40 AM

Sep 2017
Feels factor exists in most people ratings and I have to congratulate you op since you can rate them unbiased now.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 31, 2017 1:22 AM

Sep 2014
Hey, I only properly cried physical tears over two anime in my life, and I'm 25. I also never cried over heartbreaking movies and books, though was a few times close to it.
Who says you are obliged to cry, anyway? You still feel emotions, you're human.
As for what you go through now - I'd dare to say you may have some kind of an emotional burnout? Idk what your life experience looks like, certainly, but I believe your emotional state is closely tied to your life in general. For example, if your head is too busy with studying/ work etc, it's hard to relate to fictional characters' problems while you Have those of your own. Or you're too concentrated on feeling the strong emotions from watching, so concentrated that your brain gets confused and shuts them off.
I'd actually offer you to switch to more light-hearted shows for now and Have some kind of emotional rest with them and then see when you're ready to return to heavier stuff. I also agree with the people above who say you can check older shows - their emotional content can be very deep.
Oct 31, 2017 1:30 AM

Jan 2013
Learn how to empathize, and from there feel compassion.
Once your mind remembers that feeling, you'll be able to invoke it in many situations, diversely.
Oct 31, 2017 1:37 AM
Aug 2017
Try not watching anime for a 1 or 2 weeks... then think of the genre u wanna watch... and pick a anime .. or ask someone for a good anime of ur fav genre..and then start it
Oct 31, 2017 2:09 AM

Dec 2016
Its normal bro...when u watch to many dramas..after some time no sheet is given
Oct 31, 2017 2:22 AM

Nov 2014
I can't relate mate, I cry over anything when I'm in the mood for a good drama. Heck just spend a few episode giving me backstory to a character then make him/her cry on screen with another character consoling him/her and my tear will flow.

That said, when I'm not in a mood for drama, it just doesn't work. If you keep forcing drama down your throat, you are no longer want it, so obviously you wouldn't cry.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 31, 2017 4:07 AM
Aug 2016
I can't get "emotional" over fiction, because believe it or not, I don't care about it :^)
Oct 31, 2017 6:57 AM

Apr 2015
Abe091 said:
Is there something wrong with me?

No, no, something is RIGHT with you! You're immune to petty manipulation! Congratulations! Please, reproduce and help fortify our next generation against petty emotional manipulation!
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 31, 2017 7:28 AM

Aug 2016
As others have said you're immune to usual tactics that shows used to get to your feelings. Is this a thing to celebrate I personally say no since I miss the times when I used to cry my heart out.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Oct 31, 2017 8:04 AM

Apr 2017
Watch more shows , your list is way too small .. I think you should wait so you can find that emotional anime .. a show doesn't need to have the drama tag to be dramatic .. it all depends on you.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 31, 2017 8:41 AM

Dec 2014
Eat some onnion, it can help you....
Oct 31, 2017 2:05 PM

Feb 2016
There's very few anime that made me cry: berserk, haibane renmei, jin roh, FMA:B, wolf children, gurren lagann and fairy tail are the only ones (I remember), getting emotional is usually the best you can hope for, you can't really go into a show expecting or hoping to cry.
Oct 31, 2017 8:38 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
It takes a lot for me to get emotional overr anime. I rarely ever cry...
Oct 31, 2017 8:39 PM
Oct 2017
Very good. Now all you have to do is quit anime and get a life.
Oct 31, 2017 8:40 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Aslt said:
I can't get "emotional" over fiction, because believe it or not, I don't care about it :^)

Same here, aslt. I didn't even feel sad about the anime mentioned. Chrono Crusade and Pandora hearts are the only manga or anime that actually made me feel sad.
Oct 31, 2017 8:40 PM
Jun 2017
*Watching the violent scenes of Puella magi Madoka magica while laughing my ass off*
Oct 31, 2017 8:46 PM

May 2016
I know exactly how you feel! I used to cry for a bunch of anime, shows, movies etc., for crying out loud (no pun intended) I got teary watching Finding Nemo (btw I know thats not an anime im not stupid). But now, even when I watch really sad things, it barely effects me.

At first I thought I had became heartless, But when something sad legitimately happened, I felt it. Its just that the more you watch the more you know what to expect the less sad you get. If something sad happens in real life, or just really unexpectedly, I'm sure you would feel sad.

Nov 6, 2017 9:48 AM

Sep 2016
If you mean crying it never happened to me. Not with Angel Beats, not with AnoHana, not with Shigatsu (manga), not with A Silent Voice (though it was quite moving).
Nov 6, 2017 11:50 AM

Jun 2011
That is the case... A lot. Death. No tears. Show character lonely? Bawl my eyes out
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 20, 2022 6:24 PM
Oct 2021
I feel empty when watching anime now, before a felt what the characters when through, i cried, smiled, and laughed, but now I'm no longer affected and i just feel empty when watching anime, help!?
Jun 20, 2022 6:36 PM

Oct 2013
It's a character development, your emotion is not supposed to be manipulated by fiction

More topics from this board

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 6 hours ago

43 by Otakupervert890 »»
1 minute ago

» Favorite Anime Insert Song

LowIqSalty - 21 minutes ago

4 by Archean-Return »»
3 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

39 by Hitagi__Furude »»
6 minutes ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

22 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

84 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.