Forum Settings
Forums

Novel 'Beatless' Receives Anime Adaptation

New
Oct 7, 2017 3:17 AM

Nov 2007
An official website has opened for an anime adaptation of author Satoshi Hase and illustrator redjuice's Beatless sci-fi fantasy novel. The anime is slated for Winter 2018. The anime announcement was also revealed at the Machi★Asobi Kadokawa New Work Announcement Stage on Saturday.

Staff
Director: Seiji Mizushima (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Series Composition: Tatsuya Takahashi (The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls), Gou Zappa (Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku)
Character Design: Hiroko Yaguchi (Aikatsu!)
Studio: Diomedea

Synopsis
With the introduction of an ultra-advanced AI that surpasses human intelligence, beings that mankind is yet to fully comprehend made from materials far too advanced for human technology begin coming into being. Lacia, an hIE equipped with a black coffin-shaped device, is one of these. In boy-meets-girl fashion, 17-year-old Arato Endo has a fateful encounter with the artificial Lacia. For what purpose were these artificial beings created? Amid questions regarding the coexistence of these artificial beings and humans, a 17-year-old boy makes a decision... (Source: Tokyo Otaku Mode)

The novel was serialized in Kadokawa's Newtype magazine from June 2011 to July 2012, and was published in a single volume in October 2012. The first five chapters of the novel were serialized in English by Tokyo Otaku Mode. It has inspired a 4-koma manga series by the same title and the two-volume Beatless: Dystopia manga, drawn by Kagura Uguisu.

Official site: http://beatless-anime.jp/

Source: Moca News

News submitted by edge13

Beatless on MAL
SnowOct 7, 2017 6:26 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 7, 2017 3:24 AM

Mar 2012
Feel like one of those Vocaloid novel. Not that I have read any.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 7, 2017 3:26 AM

Jul 2015
romance with no harem
and the main love interest looks so cute
i think i'll enjoy watching this
Oct 7, 2017 3:27 AM
Jan 2016
Sounds interesting. I always welcome sci-fi anime. And while I trust the director, the writers are just so-so.
Oct 7, 2017 3:32 AM

Dec 2011
RnDNEET021 said:
W H Y C A N T I F I N DT H E T R A N S L A T I O N O F T H I S... -_-

Here you go:
https://otakumode.com/sp/beatless/reader/chapter1

note: this is an official translation, but it was dropped partway through the volume. Should be enough to give you a feel for the series, though.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 7, 2017 3:36 AM

Apr 2017
kuuderes_shadow said:
RnDNEET021 said:
W H Y C A N T I F I N DT H E T R A N S L A T I O N O F T H I S... -_-

Here you go:
https://otakumode.com/sp/beatless/reader/chapter1

note: this is an official translation, but it was dropped partway through the volume. Should be enough to give you a feel for the series, though.

Oh man quite confused.... I'm totally reading the other translated one -_-

Geezz tnx btw

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 7, 2017 3:37 AM

Sep 2009
FINALLY! The manga adaptation died fast.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 7, 2017 3:41 AM

Jan 2009
are anime adaptations of finished manga or novels getting common this days or is it just my imagination? lol
Oct 7, 2017 3:50 AM
May 2015
I'd rather watch an actual Beatles anime.

Oct 7, 2017 4:30 AM

Mar 2013
Sounds Interesting... The artstyle also kinds of reminds me of Guilty Crown.
Oct 7, 2017 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
Oh my god, I’ve been waiting for this!
Oct 7, 2017 4:39 AM

Sep 2016
Rio- said:

The art is done by the same person, redjuice.
D:

Check out my article btw (Thanks Shymander!)
Oct 7, 2017 5:54 AM

May 2012
Looks good. The cover alone makes me want to watch it
Oct 7, 2017 6:04 AM

Apr 2016
Will check out since it's not a light novel again (?) Sci-fi is always welcome!
Oct 7, 2017 6:31 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Rio- said:

Same here, Guilty Crown's Inori first came to mind when I saw the picture.

Moreover, the story reminds me of Plastic Memories. Let's hope it will be better than Guilty Crown and will be as good as Plastic Memories or even better.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 7, 2017 6:35 AM

Dec 2014
This looks interesting will deffo keep my eye on this when it comes out
Oct 7, 2017 6:39 AM

Sep 2009
Haneken2086 said:
I'd rather watch an actual Beatles anime.

LOL same here, i misread as "Beatles Receives Anime Adaption". I thought i'm only one~

Oct 7, 2017 6:48 AM

Jul 2016
same art like guilty crown, and she's so like inori

I really like redjuice stunning scifi artsyle in my eyes. I want an EGOIST op and ed please
Oct 7, 2017 7:17 AM

Jan 2016
OH. MY. GOD.

I'll certainly look forward into this.
And, thank you very much for this news.
Oct 7, 2017 7:27 AM
Jan 2015
Please be more than 12 episodes~~~
Oct 7, 2017 7:45 AM

Feb 2017
Nice! Looking forward to it
Oct 7, 2017 10:05 AM

Jun 2017
OMFG. IT LOOKS AMAZING
I WILL SURE SEE THIS

𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓈 𝓈𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 
𝑜𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝒶𝓇𝓀𝑒𝓈𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝓃𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓈✨ 
Oct 7, 2017 10:06 AM

Jun 2017
Iorisu said:
OH. MY. GOD.

I'll certainly look forward into this.
And, thank you very much for this news.

what anme/novel/manga or whatever is from the profile picture on the forum?:O

Oct 7, 2017 10:54 AM

Jul 2014
Sounds extremely interesting, and is definitely something I'm going to look forward to.
Oct 7, 2017 11:31 AM

Sep 2017
ayyy the art looks pretty as hell. Let us pray this doesn't turn out to be a typical action light novel romance.
blz rember that wen u feel scare or frigten

me too
Oct 7, 2017 12:07 PM

Nov 2011
I've read the alternative manga version of this awhile ago. Can't remember much about it but I hope they make the novel adaptation worth watching.
Oct 7, 2017 1:58 PM

Oct 2011
I can't believe it took so long to make it official. Like there has been a Beatless facebook page I liked a few years ago because they said it was gonna get an anime adaption. I guess it was shortly after Guilty Crown aired.
Oct 8, 2017 7:19 PM

Oct 2015
Anyone had a chance to read the novel/manga? Any thoughts on how good or bad it was? I'm definitely gonna check this out but I'm worried it'll won't be a good sci-fi story.
Oct 9, 2017 5:14 AM

Jan 2016
Maachi said:

The pictures that I set as my forum set are just an illustration by Wayukako.
Sorry for the late reply, though.
Oct 9, 2017 12:17 PM
Nov 2013
If Redjuice doesn't do the art this isn't worth watching.

Need Nirgilis to do the OP.
Oct 9, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2017
Iorisu said:
Maachi said:

The pictures that I set as my forum set are just an illustration by Wayukako.
Sorry for the late reply, though.

ty so much:D
dont worry^^

Oct 10, 2017 1:43 AM
Mar 2012
Curious of nods & refs to GC, like if that coffin device relates to Funeral Parlor.
The scifi osts better be good.
But only expecting eromanga/rewrite level of writing...
Oct 23, 2017 1:04 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty fucking stoked for this. I enjoyed Guilty Crown a lot so when it ended I ended up doing a lot of reading around and found out that redjuice, who created the original character designs for GC, also did the illustrations for this novel. And even the sci-fi type premise of it seemed somewhat similar.

So as soon as I found out about that I was hoping to hell for it to get an anime adaptation. And that was...quite a few years ago now? Since it never happened I'd had assumed that it was just never considered and totally forgot about it until I read the announcement.

I've heard the story is immensely good as well, the novel seems to have gotten critical acclaim, and was in the running for a few awards or something too. Now it worries me that Diomedia is handling the adaptation, because it's not like they've exactly been churning out winners here lately, and they're pretty ballsack at faithful adaptations.

Kind of disappointed that Production I.G. didn't get this so they could give it a stupidly HQ budget like they did for GC, plus they could've brought in some of the same staff like the character designer. Either that or Wit Studio, since they actually did some anime promotional art for an English Beatless artbook a long while back.

Also wonder what they'll do for music. Obvious signs point to Egoist, which is always a plus. I don't think this would get a Sawano OST like Guilty Crown did. Plus there's that Beatless artbook I mentioned that also came with a collaboration music CD redjuice worked on with some vocaloid guy. It included a bunch of tracks, the main "theme" one being Dreaming Shout by Sakura (who did the last Eureka 7 OP). And then the "sound track" songs were vocaloid. Perhaps they'll consider incorporating those songs into it. I definitely would like to see that original music make an appearance, but I would absolutely favor Egoist.
Oct 23, 2017 1:05 AM

Aug 2013
gophercg said:
Curious of nods & refs to GC, like if that coffin device relates to Funeral Parlor.

Supposedly the novel received a ton of praise in the day and was up for a few awards, so we'll see. Highly doubt there's even a chance it'll be as low tier as what you mentioned.
Oct 23, 2017 3:52 AM
Mar 2012
Jonesy974 said:
gophercg said:

Supposedly the novel received a ton of praise in the day and was up for a few awards, so we'll see. Highly doubt there's even a chance it'll be as low tier as what you mentioned.

Good to hope. Just those two script comps are concerning, besides the 2 shows, that they also brought us Venus climax, battle girl hs & Ushinawareta Mirai.
Oct 23, 2017 7:46 AM
Oct 2017
Ohhh i like that one, it is really great)
Nov 2, 2017 7:52 AM

Oct 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
FINALLY! The manga adaptation died fast.
It got cancelled or what?
Nov 4, 2017 12:14 PM

Oct 2012
Don't have high expectations for this show, not after Clockwork Planet crushed my LN adaption dreams.

But will still be watching this, I love redjuice too much.
Nov 4, 2017 5:30 PM
Aug 2017
But be prepared for a letdown everyone. Diomedéa is the studio producing this anime. Also redjuice is not designing the characters. From what i heard, Diomedéa has not produced any winners lately, let's hope they change everyone's views with BEATLESS.
kira525Nov 4, 2017 5:43 PM
Nov 4, 2017 5:53 PM
Aug 2017
Jonesy974 said:
Pretty fucking stoked for this. I enjoyed Guilty Crown a lot so when it ended I ended up doing a lot of reading around and found out that redjuice, who created the original character designs for GC, also did the illustrations for this novel. And even the sci-fi type premise of it seemed somewhat similar.

So as soon as I found out about that I was hoping to hell for it to get an anime adaptation. And that was...quite a few years ago now? Since it never happened I'd had assumed that it was just never considered and totally forgot about it until I read the announcement.

I've heard the story is immensely good as well, the novel seems to have gotten critical acclaim, and was in the running for a few awards or something too. Now it worries me that Diomedia is handling the adaptation, because it's not like they've exactly been churning out winners here lately, and they're pretty ballsack at faithful adaptations.

Kind of disappointed that Production I.G. didn't get this so they could give it a stupidly HQ budget like they did for GC, plus they could've brought in some of the same staff like the character designer. Either that or Wit Studio, since they actually did some anime promotional art for an English Beatless artbook a long while back.

Also wonder what they'll do for music. Obvious signs point to Egoist, which is always a plus. I don't think this would get a Sawano OST like Guilty Crown did. Plus there's that Beatless artbook I mentioned that also came with a collaboration music CD redjuice worked on with some vocaloid guy. It included a bunch of tracks, the main "theme" one being Dreaming Shout by Sakura (who did the last Eureka 7 OP). And then the "sound track" songs were vocaloid. Perhaps they'll consider incorporating those songs into it. I definitely would like to see that original music make an appearance, but I would absolutely favor Egoist.
Well this Diomedéa we're talking about, so keep your hopes 50/50. Who knows what they will do. We can only hope they don't butcher this one.
Nov 5, 2017 11:13 AM
Aug 2017
Stark700 said:
I've read the alternative manga version of this awhile ago. Can't remember much about it but I hope they make the novel adaptation worth watching.
Well this Diomedéa we're talking about, so keep your hopes 50/50. Who knows what they will do. We can only hope they don't butcher this one.
Nov 9, 2017 8:51 PM

Nov 2007
OP: GARNiDELiA
ED: ClariS
http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1510215340

Airing Fridays on 25:55 (Saturdays 1:55 a.m.) via Anime-ism (MBS, TBS, & BS-TBS) Starting January 12, 2018 (January 13 a.m.)
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1511490711
tsubasaloverNov 23, 2017 8:27 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 27, 2017 1:17 AM
Oct 2012
Jonesy974 said:

NIRGILIS, not Sakura. The artist is Nirgilis, the one that did "Sakura" (from Eureka Seven) and "Dreaming Shout".

I really hoped to see Nirgilis making the OP or the ED, but both artists (Garnidelia and Claris) are good. Still hope to see Nirgilis featured at least in an Insert Song or second OP or ED if there is ever one.

I would say, bringing Egoist into the project will lead people to compare this to Guilty Crown even more instead of just admiring this project as something totally unrelated to Guilty Crown (even your whole comment screams of wishes of trying to make Beatless as close as posible to Guilty Crown).
Nov 27, 2017 8:53 PM

Aug 2013
rooru-kun said:
Jonesy974 said:

NIRGILIS, not Sakura. The artist is Nirgilis, the one that did "Sakura" (from Eureka Seven) and "Dreaming Shout".

I really hoped to see Nirgilis making the OP or the ED, but both artists (Garnidelia and Claris) are good. Still hope to see Nirgilis featured at least in an Insert Song or second OP or ED if there is ever one.

I would say, bringing Egoist into the project will lead people to compare this to Guilty Crown even more instead of just admiring this project as something totally unrelated to Guilty Crown (even your whole comment screams of wishes of trying to make Beatless as close as posible to Guilty Crown).

So wanting the show to have the same level of quality and productions values as another show to do justice for the original character designer means I want them to be entirely similar shows?

Bronze tier logic there.
Nov 27, 2017 9:02 PM
Oct 2012
Jonesy974 said:

So wanting the show to have the same level of quality and productions values as another show to do justice for the original character designer means I want them to be entirely similar shows?

Bronze tier logic there.

Having the same character designer doesn't mean it has to be same everything else including featured artist, music creator, studio. Wishful thinking right there. Let Beatless be something different and unrelated so that it doesn't get compared too much to Guilty Crown. Otherwise, everyone will refer to Beatless as the Guilty Crown wanna be.
Nov 29, 2017 8:45 PM

Aug 2013
rooru-kun said:
Jonesy974 said:

Bronze tier logic there.

Having the same character designer doesn't mean it has to be same everything else including featured artist, music creator, studio. Wishful thinking right there. Let Beatless be something different and unrelated so that it doesn't get compared too much to Guilty Crown. Otherwise, everyone will refer to Beatless as the Guilty Crown wanna be.

That makes no sense. That's like calling Psycho Pass a Guilty Crown wannabe because they were both produced by IG and featured EGIOST. Wishing that multiple series by the same creator get the same high budget treatment with great staffing has no correlation with them being compared to one another.

More topics from this board

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

40 by SinisterDeezNuts »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Kuroiwa Medaka ni Watashi no Kawaii ga Tsuujinai' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

13 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Kinoko Inu' Receives TV Anime in Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

15 by Piromysl »»
Yesterday, 4:47 AM

» 'Kimi no Iro' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - May 12

6 by RobertBobert »»
May 12, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.