Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 6, 2017 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, this was cool. OP song is cool although I personally prefer the first Garo theme song.

A modern setting Garo with motorcycles, badasses, and dark city. Sword seems like an interesting character as I expect the show to explore more of his past. His role from this episode shows that he is daring and not afraid to take risks. I'm also curious to see how this anime plans to develop his relationship with Sophie, a girl she met in city. Seems the two are pretty different but has a connection.

Solid first episode. As this takes place in a more modern setting, I expect more epic road action like the ones from this episode.
Stark700Oct 7, 2017 7:30 PM
Oct 6, 2017 1:33 PM

Apr 2014
This show probably has some of the most obnoxious shaky cam during action scenes I've ever seen in an anime. Man that almost gave me a headache!
Oct 6, 2017 8:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
really cute main girl

boobs (here come the "omg, such uncalled for fanservice" fucks >.>)

action

and i have to say a pretty badass dude as well

a funny talking bike

i fuck with this
Oct 6, 2017 8:39 PM

Jun 2015
This was a very good first episode. The animation and music was superb. Sword has some mad skills. It was awesome when he transformed into that gold armor. He also has a very cool bike. Sophie got lured into a trap and almost got consumed, but Sword saved her. It was epic. They're looking for something called Eldorado. Looking forward to see more.
BlackstarFallenOct 6, 2017 8:46 PM
Oct 6, 2017 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
So we're back to modern settings. A titty monster's always a good way to start off Garo.

Love the bike.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 6, 2017 8:47 PM

Jun 2014
Like the modern setting and Sword seems pretty badass!

Definitely an improvement over the second Garo anime!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 6, 2017 8:58 PM

Feb 2014
This was the strongest debut of the three Garo's shows. Miles better than the second already. Pretty cool characters and setting. I can see this being a fun ride with 24 episodes. As always from MAPPA the animation is top notch but they just need to tone down the shaking a bit.
Oct 6, 2017 9:03 PM

Jun 2017
I don't know what the hell I just watched, but it was pretty damn cool.
Oct 6, 2017 9:05 PM

Nov 2008
Exactly the kind of anime I want!

PRAISE da lord xD
Oct 6, 2017 9:20 PM
Oct 2009
Great episode. :3
I see potential in this anime can't wait for more. x3
Oct 6, 2017 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
I love Sophie already ! Plus the ost was epic, although that bridge fight made me somewhat dizzy. Decided to watch it randomly, but now I'm definitely gonna watch it every week.
Oct 6, 2017 9:25 PM

Aug 2013
This episode was awesome, best first episode of this season. I loved the first series, and this one its looking really good, maybe i already like this more for the setting in a "futuristic"dark city and the bike.

Everything in this ep was so good, the setting, ost, the action, the animation all awesome. (I need the ost during the running scene!)

This is already much better of the second series in every way and probably will be a par or better of the first series.
Oct 6, 2017 9:38 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
NOW THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT....FINALLY WE HAVE A TRUE SUCCESSOR TO THE FIRST SERIES/FILM

My goodness this was too awesome.....It's in a modern setting, the action scenes were great and animated so well and the overall tone and look of the show just works so damn well

And most of all.....This man Sword is probably the coolest and best protagonist out of all of the series leads....This man casually boxes Horrors, fucks them up while he's riding his pimped out Makai Knight Motorcycle and can even bust out his sword and Golden Armor (Bike included) and then when the day is done, he eats like a king and then picks up and fucks big boob bitches

My goodness this man is my hero xD I am SOOOOOOOOO watching this to end because this was a great start lol....Can't wait to find out more about that girl Sophie (She was cool too), learn about whatever Eldorado is and meet the other main characters

(Also, how fitting is it that we got a titty horror in the first episode lol)
Oct 6, 2017 9:41 PM
Jul 2018
Haven't seen the other Garo series,but this first episode honestly rocked me up so so hard!! I liked the setting and it didn't took me time to like MC. The fighting scenes were so action-packed!! Possible AOTY for me. Hopefully this will be 2-cour and expecting a episodic show as well which should make my friday exciting. Also have to do watch other Garos.

Btw, 6.99 MAL current score! wt heck! I can't stand this joke anymore :(

Oct 6, 2017 9:48 PM

Jun 2014
This is by far the best iteration of Garo yet. We have a pretty badass golden knight this time around.

Leave it to Mappa to come up with a dope soundtrack. Animation quality is exactly as expected; character designs are on point; amazing cityscape backgrounds too. I'm also feeling a little influence coming from Redline in some of the artwork.
Oct 6, 2017 9:48 PM

Sep 2011
FUCK YES, this is it, this is the real garo, not that crimson moon dogshit. This episode was dripping in style and the fight was so spectacular at the end I'm kind of drooling in anticipation for whats to come especially since the main director was the guy behind alot of the best fights from the first anime. Also that soundtrack was straight fire during the fight. Man it just feels good to get my blood boiling again watching this show.

SkyDrop said:
Haven't seen the other Garo series,but this first episode honestly rocked me up so so hard!! I liked the setting and it didn't took me time to like MC. The fighting scenes were so action-packed!! Possible AOTY for me. Hopefully this will be 2-cour and expecting a episodic show as well which should make my friday exciting. Also have to do watch other Garos.

Its already confirmed tobe 24 episodes long, and do expect some episodic stuff but there is going to be a main plot but i dont know how long it will take for vanishing line to get into it.

And yeah the mal score through me the fuck off, granted barely anyone has watched it yet.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 6, 2017 10:07 PM

Oct 2015
Awesome first episode, I'd say it might of been better than HnK's debut. Action scenes remind me of the ones in Divine Flame, good stuff. This is 2 cour IIRC so i'm hoping the budget doesn't run dry towards the middle and end.

Sword is a pretty cool dude and feels like a breath of fresh air compared to the typical "bishonen" MC. Also glad to hear some of Zaruba's cheeky dialogue.

Having high hopes for now.
Oct 6, 2017 11:07 PM

Jan 2015
The actions scenes weren't well-directed

Overall a good episode
Oct 6, 2017 11:30 PM

Oct 2012
Edgy for sure but in all the best ways. I have a lot of faith with MAPPA behind the wheel.
Oct 6, 2017 11:47 PM

Jun 2016
This might as well be the awseome underdog show of the season. Impactful first episode, with some interesting characters, setting and plot. And as expected from studio MAPPA, it looks really good.
Oct 7, 2017 12:05 AM

Oct 2012
I wasn't a huge fan of the shaky cam during all the action scenes, but otherwise a pretty great first episode. I'm super happy that its 2 cour
Oct 7, 2017 12:35 AM

Nov 2016
The MC, Sword is gar as hell,it's nice to get something like this for a change.

Very entertaining epsiode I liked pretty much everything, from designs to sound, but when they went to fast paced action the animation was a bit shaky..aside from that a good start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 7, 2017 1:34 AM

Jun 2014
Having an MC like sword is such a nice change from the typical teenager MCs that we usually get. This guy is a badass adult, and this episode captured that very well.

Overall, this single episode was better than the entirety of Guren no Tsuki, and I look forward to seeing and learning more about El Dorado and other aspects of this modern-day Garo setting.

Also, keep it up with that animation, MAPPA.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 7, 2017 1:39 AM

Aug 2012
I have no idea what I just watched, but I loved it.

It seems like Vanishing Line knows exactly how absurd its premise is and just rolls with it all the way. Some of the designs and the actions scenes are just the right level of exaggerated and the shaky camera is (probably purposely) reminiscent of modern Hollywood action blockbusters, even if somewhat annoying for that exact reason. With all that is going on, it's hard to make out if the movement and direction always make sense, but at least they seemed like they did.

Hope it continues like this, regardless of the story the first episode was just… fun to watch, similar to how I felt about Shingeki no Bahamut.
Oct 7, 2017 2:16 AM

Aug 2013
So a modern day era in Garo and looks like it's based in some AU form of America, nice. I mean we had like...a Medieval England for Divine Flame and the Edo period Japan for Crimson Moon so gotta love the era changes. The music was awesome and the action was explosive (pun intended) plus the vast shift in personas for the MC is like...whoa. An older guy with a confident attitude is a nice change of pace. MAPPA taking control again everyone. Also, one episode and this is already instantly better than Crimson Moon.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 7, 2017 2:18 AM

Jun 2014
This could be a fun shlocky action anime if the actually fight scenes weren't shot so badly.
Oct 7, 2017 2:34 AM

Jul 2007
NOOOOOOO, WHAT YOU DOING , SHOW? You were supposed to b e better than this, y ou have production staff that is better than this. :(

Story was incomprehensible anime as fuck shlock that is nowhere near the first garo anime. ITs actually frustrating at how inferior this is in terms of presentation to the first show. The adult MC was what to be expected but the kid MC is UNBEARABLE here.

And then the action. Holy shit this physically hurt. While not Handshakers level of bad, but still this made me wanna hurl. WHAT'S WITH THE SHAKY CAM every 4 seconds. Parts of the episode are nigh incomprehensible due to camera work and all the shaking.

Why, why why why whywhywhywhy
Oct 7, 2017 2:53 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that... wasn't great, but better than Guren no Tsuki at least (not that that's saying much)
Oct 7, 2017 3:01 AM
Mar 2015
Well the show's not ...bad.
As everyone said the action sequences are good.
I like the little touch with the smartphone : careless teenager.
Oct 7, 2017 3:20 AM

Jul 2016
I'd call this my first real major drop of this season. As I was watching the first episode I could slowly feel myself sniggering more and more until the final fight at the end were he turns into a Power Ranger and I just fucking lost it and burst out laughing.

Credit where credit is due though, they are going all out with their aesthetic and the character designs are alright. The animation though, is terrible. That wide shot at the beginning, where the buildings are stretching with the camera, or the fights, where the choreography is so bad I can't tell where anyone is. Also, when Sword was fighting the boob monster at the beginning, did that naked woman in the water tank turn out okay? The show just kind of forgot about her.

Anyway... yeah, it's bad, which I think is really sad, especially for a series that I can only describe as Berserk meets the Power Rangers with Brutal Legend thrown in there, because on paper that sounds fucking badass, but n practice... just kind of awkward.
Oct 7, 2017 3:31 AM

Jun 2016
The group who sang the OP was the one who sang One Punch Man's OP, right? Holy shit. That fucking OP, though.

HOLY SHIT. I'M SPEECHLESS. THAT WAS A GREAT FUCKING EPISODE. THE ACTION SCENES, THAT ANIMATION, THOSE MONSTERS: THE OPPAI MONSTER PFFFFT AND THAT MONSTER WHO'S EATING RED-HEAD GIRLS, THE FUCKING SOUNDTRACK!

THAT WAS A GREAT FUCKING EPISODE. PROBABLY THE BEST FIRST EPISODE FOR ME THIS SEASON. OHMYGOD. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE. OHMYGOOOOOOD!

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 7, 2017 3:33 AM
Jul 2014
Shaky cam aside, I thought this episode was freaking awesome. I already like it more than the entirety of Guren no Tsuki. People on other sites seem to be loving it as well, so can't say I agree with the complaints here other than the camera shaking.
Oct 7, 2017 3:53 AM

Jul 2007
TheGreatMizuti said:
I'd call this my first real major drop of this season. As I was watching the first episode I could slowly feel myself sniggering more and more until the final fight at the end were he turns into a Power Ranger and I just fucking lost it and burst out laughing.

You do know that Garo is tokusatsu franchise right? Makai Knights are kind of central piece of lore in all the shows.
Oct 7, 2017 3:58 AM

Jul 2016
Fai said:
TheGreatMizuti said:

You do know that Garo is tokusatsu franchise right? Makai Knights are kind of central piece of lore in all the shows.

It's true I'd never even heard of Garo before jumping into this, so yes, my joke was technically based in ignorance, but it's still just a joke. I don't think being experienced in Garo beforehand would have changed my opinion on the show.
Oct 7, 2017 4:08 AM

Mar 2016
So far, I an say that it has the best animation of this season, and possibly of the year. The fights were really well made, and just watching this got my interested in the other Garo anime! Can't wait for more. I didn't expect any better from studio Mappa.
Oct 7, 2017 4:16 AM
Jan 2016
That's a nice first episode. Nothing offensively bad, it served as introduction, everything's there. Though the use of shaky camera was a bit hit or miss. On some scenes, it really enhanced the impact of the action & made it much more visceral. While other scenes, the shake was so much so that we did not get a clear visual of the fight, the same technique used in live-action movies when the actors cannot fight properly.

And of course the camera always leering at breasts & the breasts jiggled so weirdly. I bet in the future we will always be "reminded" with the protagonist of love of breasts. I do not care if they want to make this anime more sensual, but the leering camera & overly jiggly breasts are ecchi level of sensual.

TheDoggoneGirl said:
THE ACTION SCENES, THAT ANIMATION, THOSE MONSTERS: THE OPPAI MONSTER PFFFFT AND THAT MONSTER WHO'S EATING RED-HEAD GIRLS, THE FUCKING SOUNDTRACK!

Oh, yeah, the breasts monster. That thing reminded me of Mardock Scramble, but this anime is infinitely better.

TheGreatMizuti said:
As I was watching the first episode I could slowly feel myself sniggering more and more until the final fight at the end were he turns into a Power Ranger and I just fucking lost it and burst out laughing.

The animation though, is terrible. That wide shot at the beginning, where the buildings are stretching with the camera, or the fights, where the choreography is so bad I can't tell where anyone is.

What's so funny about the last fight? Did I not get the joke?

The animation or cinematography? Do not confuse yourself with those two terms.
And what made some of the action scenes bad was not choreography, it was the shot compositions/the cinematography.
Oct 7, 2017 4:18 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A honest to goodness action anime with a bit of ultra violence yet not going to the silly lengths of Dies Irae. I didn't mind the shaky cam as much as some.The animation and OST were pretty good and I liked that our first MC is a proper throwback to the action heroes of old. Steak or Tacos? My man.

SkyDrop said:

The MAL demographic and voting system rewards big, hyped properties (like the animation of big shounen mangas, visual novels or video games adaptations) or well established local favorites like Gintama. Then there's the slice of life segment thats pretty big here in MAL too.

A Seinen action sci fi show is never going to get a high score here unless it's from a big, big property.

That's why I absolutely have stopped using the MAL score as a tool to judge if I'll watch a show or not. I've always thought it's a bit silly that the system allows one to vote after only one episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 7, 2017 4:45 AM

Aug 2013
A good first episode. I'm liking the MC already.

Oct 7, 2017 5:05 AM

Mar 2014
I'm really digging the opening.

Solid action and quite stylish.
Oct 7, 2017 5:10 AM

Oct 2014
Definitely more like the modern day Toku Original Garo then the previous seasons. Which is great.
Oct 7, 2017 5:54 AM

Dec 2015
Beautiful art and animation although let down by the ridiculous camera shaking during the fight scenes. Pretty solid episode considering I haven't watched any of the other series.
~
Oct 7, 2017 6:33 AM

May 2010
Bruh can they shake the camera even more during action scenes please..i havent passed out from motion sickness yet!
Oct 7, 2017 6:40 AM

Nov 2016
damn, the action and music is fucking great tho.
Oct 7, 2017 6:44 AM

Sep 2010
This show is so my type. I really hope it stays this quality throughout the entire series. Can't wait to see the rest of it.
Hopefully they tone down with the shaky cam in future eps.
Oct 7, 2017 6:55 AM
Dec 2016
I loved this episode a ton. Just the first fight scene alone with MONACA's kickass soundtrack rockin' in the background was hype as hell (titty monster). Furthermore I actually found a good portion of it hilarious - the way Sword always does a *Papa Bless* upon sighting bounty, the obnoxiously loud eating while Sophie was losing her sanity and of course "steak or tacos?".

And I was waiting all episode for the GARO armour to come out, and I was expecting it to be similar to the standard circle with the blade, but instead he does a goddamn BURNOUT to summon GARO! That was sick and I loved every bit of it, can't wait for more.
Oct 7, 2017 7:01 AM

Jun 2014
That was really fucking cool and manly.
:3
Oct 7, 2017 7:01 AM
Feb 2017
Pretty BADASS episode, I enjoyed everything about it especially the OST, but the action scenes were a little bad. Seriously, what's up with the shaky cam? Live-action movies do that to hide the fact that the actors can't do stunts or hide stunt doubles, but in animation there's no excuse to do that.
Oct 7, 2017 7:16 AM

Aug 2016
Despite the nauseating action scenes, i thought that was pretty good.

From what I could see (if it weren't for the camera shake) the animation is quite good. So far, this is probably the best action anime of the season.
Oct 7, 2017 7:20 AM

Aug 2017
Soundtrack of the year, holy shit
Oct 7, 2017 7:37 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I dont say that often these days when it comes to anime but hoyl fuck that was badass.

Camera was pretty damn shaky but compared to a lot of people here, it didnt bother me that much
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Vanishing Line Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xeogran - Mar 23, 2018

55 by Hisoka2107 »»
Aug 16, 2023 2:11 PM

» Should i watch this or the 2014 series?

Kitsune_089 - Aug 7, 2021

4 by Max-OG »»
Jan 24, 2023 10:11 AM

» Swords Armor

dragynfaerie - Jul 3, 2022

1 by Dd5 »»
Sep 3, 2022 1:05 PM

Poll: » Garo: Vanishing Line Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2018

90 by dragynfaerie »»
Jul 3, 2022 6:28 PM

Poll: » Garo: Vanishing Line Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

62 by Nanashi »»
May 15, 2022 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.