Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2017 9:39 AM
Apr 2014
So, today I've learnt there is an anime about... diving. Not explore-the-sea diving, but sports diving. https://myanimelist.net/anime/34543/
I thought to myself, well, that's kinda weird choice of a topic. Diving is not exactly the most popular sports, is it? How does one come up with such an idea?
Again, there's "Barakamon", where the protagonis is a calligrapher. There's "Gin no Saji" about agricultural stuff. There's "Shirobako", which is about anime production. "Bakuman" about drawing and publishing manga. Looks like there's literally an anime about anything.

I'm just curious, what are other animes with such oddly specific topics?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 24, 2017 9:45 AM

Mar 2012
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2740/Monkey_Turn?q=turn

You can even find anime about speed boat. It still surprise me that niche like that have anime and there are no badminton anime yet.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 24, 2017 9:51 AM

Aug 2016
Moyashimon first season and first couple of episodes for second season at least was about microorganisms and their functions/usages such as bacteria fermentation
Sep 24, 2017 9:55 AM

Apr 2016
Just this season, we got introduced to the first Ballroom dancing anime - Ballroom e Youkoso.

Then there's Hanasaku Iroha which is about the Japanese ryokan (traditional Inn) industry.

Fune wo Amu which is about dictionaries.

There are a lot of those anime which might be about a certain hobby or profession. Something found only in a medium like anime.
Sep 24, 2017 9:57 AM

Jan 2013
MechKingKillbot said:
Moyashimon first season and first couple of episodes for second season at least was about microorganisms and their functions/usages such as bacteria fermentation
Damn, just blasting Moyashimon season two like that heh

Moyashimon is probably the most oddly specific though.
Sep 24, 2017 10:02 AM

Aug 2017
Is story about Space Cowboy considered as an oddly specific anime?
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 24, 2017 10:04 AM

Feb 2010
I don't think there is one. There's a shitton of equally odd and/or specific topics that have anime made about them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 24, 2017 10:16 AM

Feb 2015
Well there's Cheer Danshi about male cheerleading... And Keijo!!! About... Fucking... Ass battles...
Sep 24, 2017 10:38 AM
Nov 2016
There's nodame cantabile and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso about classical music.

There's Yuri on ice which is about figure skating

Sakura Quest is about the tourism industry.
Sep 24, 2017 11:01 AM

Sep 2017
Space brothers is about the space industry specifically NASA and the fictional JAXA. Nope it doesnt have mechans and stuff. Its all about rockets and space.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 24, 2017 11:08 AM

May 2012
If you think anime covers a lot of weird topics, you should take a look at the manga section. There you will find things like...

- Apnea diving ("Glaucos")
- The adult movie industry ("18 Rin")
- Italian cooking ("Bambino!" and "Bambino! Secondo")

And my personal favorite...

- Crime scene cleanup service industry ("Kurosagi Shitai Takuhaibin")
Sep 24, 2017 11:11 AM

Feb 2017
Isn't there an anime about a girl who thinks she has a weird vagina? That one always strikes me as a weirdly specific topic :')
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Sep 24, 2017 11:15 AM

May 2012
ladamesansmerci said:
Isn't there an anime about a girl who thinks she has a weird vagina? That one always strikes me as a weirdly specific topic :')

Could it be that you mean "B-gata H-kei"?
Sep 24, 2017 11:19 AM

Oct 2015
Chihayafuru (Karuta) was the first one that came to mind.
Sep 24, 2017 11:25 AM
Aug 2017
Akikan - an anime about a boy who's girlfriend is a can of soda or something among these lines. There are much more , i just can't remember ghem right now .
Sep 24, 2017 11:32 AM

Jun 2015
I got one. Takoyaki Mantoman. How's that for specific?

Sep 24, 2017 11:49 AM

Feb 2013
kappa no kaikata for fans of kappas (just like me)
Sep 24, 2017 11:58 AM
May 2017
ladamesansmerci said:

Are you saying about https://myanimelist.net/anime/7817/B-gata_H-kei?q=B%20gata ?? Yeah, a specific anime on"How to get laid off you're a virgin girl"
Sep 24, 2017 12:00 PM

Jun 2017
Anime about ballroom dancing and quiz bowl came out just this season alone, so yes, there is pretty much anime about every topic.
Sep 24, 2017 1:09 PM
Nov 2015
Here's a few with "odd" theme :

Last season, "Kabukibu" is about a high school rakugo club.
"Amagi brilliant park" theme is revolving around managing an amusement park.
And "Sabagebu" is about a gun/shooting High-school club.

Also, in the manga section, there is "87 clockers", from the same author as nodame cantabile m, which is about overclocking.
Surprisingly it was easy and enjoyable to read.
Sep 24, 2017 1:12 PM

Apr 2015
It depends on whether you like food or just the sweet stuff, or bikes versus bicycles versus cars.

There's something for everybody. :-]
Sep 24, 2017 1:18 PM

Jan 2017
Moyashimon hands down.

There's also:
Chihayafuru (about competitive karuta)
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (about rakugo)
3 Gatsu No Lion (about shogi)
Fune wo Amu (creating a Japanese dictionary)
Gin no Saji (about agricultural studies)
Hanasaku Iroha (Inn keeping and chores)
Hoozuki no Reitetsu (Hell's company administration)
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Sep 24, 2017 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
everyday life with monster girls.
the title speaks for it self.
highly recommended
Sep 24, 2017 2:11 PM

Mar 2015
There are a lot, but Tsuritama came to mind. It's about fishing.
woah there
Sep 24, 2017 2:44 PM

Nov 2009
gghelis said:
So, today I've learnt there is an anime about... diving. Not explore-the-sea diving, but sports diving. https://myanimelist.net/anime/34543/
I thought to myself, well, that's kinda weird choice of a topic. Diving is not exactly the most popular sports, is it? How does one come up with such an idea?

1) So what? There are anime about totally fictional sports. Like, there is an anime about some flying-shoes tag sport, an anime about tank battles sport, an anime about a sport where girls beat each other with their asses...

2) Frankly, I suspect the author just likes some aspect of reality (like diving, or cooking, or whatever), and he/she makes a manga about it. With so many different authors, it results in impressive coverage.

3) Most writers are writers, that's why you'll see a lot of anime about making the work's original medium. Other activities don't get coverage that is so complete.

4) If you're looking for an unusual choice of topic, I'd mention Chuu-bra. It's an anime about female underwear. That isn't played for sexy.
Sep 24, 2017 2:56 PM

May 2014
Well, Arakawa Under the Bridge is about the daily lives of a bunch of really bizarre homeless people living under a bridge...so there's that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2017 9:44 PM

Jan 2010
Tsuritama = Fishing (+alien fish)
YoI = Figure Skating competitive sport (international level)
Sep 24, 2017 10:05 PM

Mar 2017
Lu Shidai - a bit of esports and a lot of League of Legends.

Obligatory Dota > LoL.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 24, 2017 10:13 PM
Jul 2018
Kaze Tachinu about a biography of an airplane engineer.

The most disturbing thing is that's Studio Hibari. You know, they made Nausicaä and Kiki's Delivery Service back then with Miyazaki. Wtf what happened? What is this madness!?

XquisiteWig said:
Chihayafuru (Karuta) was the first one that came to mind.

Five minutes ago, I don't even knew what Karuta is. XD
Sep 24, 2017 11:04 PM
Aug 2016
there was an anime about quiz or something airing this season...
Sep 25, 2017 2:28 AM

Apr 2015
Let's not forget every card game anime out there that exist just to sell cards. And those bazillion other anime that try to sell some other toys. And then you went and bought those toys and was disappointed because it looked cooler on TV.

If you have longed to watch an anime about dogs killing each other and take down some bears look no further.

Ehta said:
Shicchi said:
YoI = Figure Skating competitive sport (international level)

Tsuritama isn't the only anime or even the first to focus on fishing. There was a shounen manga Tsurikichi Sanpei in the 70's about fishing and it was adapted in to 109 episodes long anime series in the 80's. There's also one fishing manga that has a long running live movie series adaptation.

Maneki-Mew said:

The most disturbing thing is that's Studio Hibari. You know, they made Nausicaä and Kiki's Delivery Service back then with Miyazaki. Wtf what happened? What is this madness!?

Can't blame them if they're short on money, but I'd guess trying to target people with some niche fetish isn't the best way to get some cash.
Sep 25, 2017 4:36 AM

Oct 2015
Vatican Miracle Examiners... although it's a mystery it's apparently a real job...
Sep 25, 2017 4:46 AM

Apr 2015
There's more than one anime about diving. This one is better: https://myanimelist.net/anime/31771/Amanchu
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 25, 2017 5:15 AM

Oct 2015
an anime about lesbian bears

https://myanimelist.net/anime/26165/Yuri_Kuma_Arashi
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Sep 25, 2017 6:29 AM

Nov 2014
OyAlinDesu said:
Akikan - an anime about a boy who's girlfriend is a can of soda or something among these lines. There are much more , i just can't remember ghem right now .

Just what have you made me feel like watching for the lolz... Seems like the nonsense I'd enjoy.

The fact that you sat through all 3 of them deserves some plaudit.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 25, 2017 9:40 AM

Mar 2012
Ginban Kaliedoscope - figure skating, definitely much better than YoI, at least I didn't have to mute the volume while watching certain obnoxious performers with their even more obnoxious music.

Chihayafuru - Karuta

Kabuki-bu - Kabuki

Yakitate!! Japan - about baking bread

La Corda D'oro Primo Passo - classical music. As someone who knows nothing about classical music, I found this more easy to understand as the MC was a complete beginner too (with a little magic of course!). Nodame Cantabile most probably is better, KimiUso was pretty good too.

Hikaru no Go - About Go

Shion no Ou & 3-gatsu no lion - Shougi

Gi(a)rish number & Rec- voice acting

Kaze Tachinu - About an Engineer building airplanes

Atom the beginning - researchers making a robot that has emotions

Tegamibachi - about delivering letters, kind of like a postman but it's set in a fantasy world and they are called letter bees there.

Capeta - cart racing

There's also Black Jack which is about a doctor and Skip Beat which focuses on being an actor, but those are pretty common fields I suppose(?)
Sep 25, 2017 11:07 PM

Aug 2015
Tsuritama - an anime about fishing (kind of)
Hanasaku Iroha - an anime about working at a Japanese inn (or onsen place thingy)
Dagashi Kashi - an anime about people who talk about japanese "retro" candy

and the list goes on...
Sep 25, 2017 11:18 PM

Oct 2014
Taishou Yakyuu Musume is about young feminist Japanese girls playing baseball in 1925 in order to try to prove to their parents that females aren't mere objects.

Romeo no Aoi Sora is about chimney sweep climbing boys (not a job that we even have anymore)

Gochiusa is set in a coffee shop, although it's not like that's what people are watching it for.

Tiger and Bunny is about a middle aged professional super hero who has to deal with his age turning him into more of a sidekick.
Sep 25, 2017 11:25 PM
May 2017
ladamesansmerci said:

I'm 99% sure you're talking about B-Gata H-Kei. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sep 26, 2017 12:06 AM
Jul 2018
I would like to see an echhi/harem/romance between two traps
Sep 28, 2017 8:12 AM

Jan 2017
Im not sure if counting an entire sport as "oddly specific" as the OP says, but if anyone here knows of either a Track and Field, Cross Country, or Marathon-running (or Ultra-Marathon) anime, PLEASE let me know. I have been searching for years!
Sep 28, 2017 8:14 AM

Nov 2015
gghelis said:
Again, there's "Barakamon", where the protagonis is a calligrapher. There's "Gin no Saji" about agricultural stuff. There's "Shirobako", which is about anime production. "Bakuman" about drawing and publishing manga. Looks like there's literally an anime about anything.

I'm just curious, what are other animes with such oddly specific topics?

The flying chickens of the river of sunflowers.

It is a great anime watch it, youll be retarde.... I mean amazed at the resualts !

You find it very moroni... I mean pleasant!
Near is far superior to you!

Sep 28, 2017 8:15 AM

Jul 2015
Detroit Metal City is an anime about death metal. (and rape)
Sep 28, 2017 8:23 AM
Aug 2017
[C] The money and soul of possibility control is an anime about economics , money , trades etc.
Sep 28, 2017 8:28 AM

Jan 2017
GuyWRunningShirt said:
Im not sure if counting an entire sport as "oddly specific" as the OP says, but if anyone here knows of either a Track and Field, Cross Country, or Marathon-running (or Ultra-Marathon) anime, PLEASE let me know. I have been searching for years!

The closest I have found regarding running is Suzuka. There are quite a few anime that characters who run track and field but it isn't the central focus. If you want a list of those, hmu.

OT: Seikon no Qwaser is about a group of people known as "Qwasers" who have special powers that are fueled off breast milk. Then there's Yakitate Japan, which is solely about baking bread.

im weeb trash

Sep 28, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2010
GuyWRunningShirt said:

Maybe this one ? https://myanimelist.net/anime/31559/Prince_of_Stride__Alternative
It's about a (fictional) form of competitive relay parkour.

Also technically Suzuka, but that's more of a romance show with token sport subplots.
Sep 28, 2017 9:16 AM

Nov 2014
Ehta said:
Shicchi said:
nicoyaasawa said:
Tsuritama - an anime about fishing (kind of)
Why is everyone saying Tsuritama? How are you guys defining 'oddly specific'? While fishing is the central point of the show, it serves more as a backdrop for the setting of Enoshima and the idea of coping with social anxiety. Plus there's an entire sci-fi alien plotline that's completely disregarded if you just call it the fishing anime, idk. Even then, fishing as a hobby is quite common especially in Japan.

I'd interpret 'oddly specific' shows as pandering to an extremely niche interest or hobby. Take for example Two Car from next season which is about motorcycle sidecar racing. That's so specific that I don't think most people even knew it was a thing.
Sep 28, 2017 9:31 AM
Dec 2015
There is Aoharu x Kikanjuu ( https://myanimelist.net/anime/30205/Aoharu_x_Kikanjuu ) about battling with toy guns...
Is that odd enough?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 7 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
40 seconds ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

64 by maya2003s »»
52 seconds ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

32 by Zimmu »»
7 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

25 by maya2003s »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.