Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2017 5:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, the creatures at the third layer of the Abyss are dangerous as hell.

Got a real taste of fantasy adventure this episode as Riko and Reg got stuck in the stomach of a creature and had to fight their way out. I gotta give a lot of credit to Riko for fighting this episode. Reg got knocked out so it was up to her to carry on the mission.

Quite a brave girl tbh considering the condition she's in.
Sep 1, 2017 5:58 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
The ost is the best of the season. The episode was great. Riko fought hard and showed us the fruits of her training, and conquered the third layer. However, I was expecting the 4th layer in this episode.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedSep 1, 2017 8:30 PM

Sep 1, 2017 7:28 AM

Sep 2016
The changes they made compared to the manga were very interesting. They added a lot of stuff and changed the way reg beat that huge red snake. Riko catching the curse of the third layer was perhaps one of the most interesting choices they made.
Only thing i disliked was the cgi they used for those little animals, but that's just nitpicking.

We'll meet best girl in the next episode.
Sep 1, 2017 7:51 AM

Jul 2016
As mentioned earlier in the author's twitter, this episode features new contents supplementing the events Riko and Reg faced in layer 3 which is briefly skimmed through in the manga. Such additional contents are: Reg usage of Incinerator on the purple flying beast that render him unconscious for 2 hours, Riko's small adventure which reminds her of how much Reg's contribution to their travel and safety and Blaze Reap gained more spotlight than it is in the manga.

Riko's treatment towards the small critters as a decoy/food source might create dissonance with the audience, it is necessary to showcase Riko and Reg did learn something from Ozen: survival of the fittest.

From the next episode's title, this time it will be a 100% guarantee to
Sep 1, 2017 8:12 AM

Aug 2013
Riko and Reg managed to survive the third layer.

Thought Riko would show some sort of sympathy towards the little cute creatures. Well it the survival of the fittest in the Abyss and Riko proved her self.

Sep 1, 2017 8:21 AM

Jun 2015
The OST was so good in this episode. The creatures of the Third Layer are very dangerous. Reg had to use his incinerator against a madokajack, which made him sleep for two hours, and Riko had to carry him around. It was tough for her but she did it. She can't bear it if she's not with Reg. Him using the pickaxe against the thing that was following them was great. They managed to make it to the Fourth Layer.
Sep 1, 2017 8:22 AM

Oct 2015
Oh boy oh boy I can already see the vegans hating on Riko for sacrificing those lil' furballs at the beginning.

I really hope this series gets a second season, I don't want this to become yet another No Game No Life, with great visuals and potential but all down the toilet. Nanachi didn't even appear yet and the pacing is way too slow. Really hope this won't become a manga advertisement in the end.
NostalgikSep 1, 2017 8:40 AM
Sep 1, 2017 8:25 AM
Dec 2014
Everything worked out but Riko should really listen to Reg when he asks her to stay right there
Sep 1, 2017 8:29 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
smackells said:
Everything worked out but Riko should really listen to Reg when he asks her to stay right there
My thoughts exactly....She did a lot of dumb things in this episode
Sep 1, 2017 8:30 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

The adventures of the 3rd layer were pretty exciting to watch.
Riko should've been more careful once Reg was unconscious but at least her little adventure helped her realize how important Reg is to her.

The Blaze Reap use was awesome.
Sep 1, 2017 8:39 AM

Oct 2014
This episode was great, I enjoyed it ten times more than usual specifically because it wasn't in the manga.
Sep 1, 2017 8:42 AM

Dec 2015
I really Enjoyed This Episode And I'm Glad That Riko And Reg Survived The 3rd Layer

Sep 1, 2017 8:43 AM
Feb 2014
Tokoya said:
smackells said:

I can't say whether Riko is adventurous or just stupid. After each trouble she faced I wanted to shake her and yell just stay where you are but she kept going and going. I guess that's what we should expect from her though. Also it would be pretty lame if Reg do all the work and Riko has to wait there doing nothing.
Sep 1, 2017 8:50 AM

May 2011
Can't fucking wait for next episode!
Sep 1, 2017 9:01 AM

Jan 2015
This was a great addition to the third layer, compared to the manga. The third layer in the manga was way too short and I would have liked to see more of it.

The purple creature was very cute lol

Amazing visuals once again
Sep 1, 2017 9:01 AM

Apr 2016
Nice episode.

But that giant purple thing they both have pleasure to deeply explore from inside, wasn't in manga if i remember correctly.

Tokoya said:
smackells said:

You can't stop the heart of an adventurer.
Sep 1, 2017 9:03 AM
Sep 1, 2017 9:04 AM

Apr 2016
Sep 1, 2017 9:05 AM

Jan 2015

Huh? Where do they want to end the series then
Sep 1, 2017 9:12 AM
May 2013
well if this was the make it or break it episode like everyone was talking about, its pretty damn good still
Sep 1, 2017 9:32 AM

Sep 2013
3rd layer is done after that wackamonster from earlier appears again and causes trouble.
Sep 1, 2017 9:51 AM

Jul 2015
Regu took the risk and used the incinerator, Riko kept going despite the risk and defended both the best she could, that was tense.

I heard about the last episode maybe being 1 hour long and that has me excited, I like the pacing but manga readers say that it's too slow to show some of the best parts, let's see if this solves that.
Sep 1, 2017 9:54 AM

Jan 2015
I guess... the only "bad" point of this episode is there's plenty of Monster's name Riko said but with no Information beforehand. Oh well.
And that Hallucination is damn good.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Sep 1, 2017 10:16 AM
Nov 2016
So, this episode we got a lot of exploring, a whole entire layer's worth.

Gotta say, Riko and Reg are going very fast, they're already at the 4th layer. The 3rd layer was pretty much barren but had some very nasty creatures.

How young is Riko again? For a girl as young as her, she is kicking some serious ass.
Sep 1, 2017 10:37 AM

Nov 2016
3rd layer looked amazing, tho I'm still glad that they dealt with it quick so that we may see more of the other ones this season.

A big plus for me was when Riko used the Neritantans as bait, it's so refreshing to see the MC not always act like a goody two shoes. Showed also again how tough their world is.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 1, 2017 10:56 AM
Dec 2010
smackells said:

She never listens and repeatedly gets herself into trouble, causing her to fall right into the damsel in distress trope. It's obvious that she's very knowledgeable about the Abyss, but it feels like she's equal parts foolish and brave.

Had she defeated the crimson splitjaw herself while Reg was out of commission, it would've restored some of my faith in her and made her seem more reliable. Unfortunately she got saved by Reg (again) and didn't learn anything from her mistakes (again).

She realized she never would've made it without Reg, but it doesn't matter if she remains reckless and selfish.

Sep 1, 2017 11:02 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Unpopular opinion maybe but this is the best episode so far in my eyes.

I look for worldbuilding, atmosphere and great art and got all of that en masse in this one + Riko actually defending herself without the help of Reg (yeah, she didn't what he said, i know that :P)

Just fascinating episode all around.
Sep 1, 2017 11:05 AM

Dec 2012
Xenocrisi said:

Original ending ?
Sep 1, 2017 11:38 AM

Sep 2014
I totally underestimated the cure before this. I never imagined just a few meter back up would trigger it. Nice episode, we see Riko doing stuff on her own. She is brave but still a child.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 1, 2017 11:46 AM
Mar 2014
28 probably.

At the pace we were going, some part of 26 was the most likely.

But if they have an extra 2 effective episodes worth of run time, it may go all the way to just before the end of 28.
Sep 1, 2017 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
Hmm hmm another fantastic episode and the OST was MMM, if anything I want this show to win soundtrack of the Year but anyhow, really crazy and heartwarming episode especially how the curse of the 3rd layer helped strengthened the feelings Riko has towards Reg, that fight Reg had with the red worm snake was really cool, finally axing down a "grudge" eh? lol. Seems like some different things happened compared to the manga but it seems like most of you who have read the source material are cool with it and last episode will be 1 hour? *Phew* might be a way to end the series at the perfect point to make a 2nd season or might be an original ending, if anything I'll be looking forward to what my fave Anime of this season will bring.
Aidoru-OjisanSep 1, 2017 11:58 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Sep 1, 2017 11:55 AM

Feb 2013
Ooh, they added some original story in this episode, I really wanted to see Nanachi already ;__; can't wait for next week
Sep 1, 2017 12:34 PM

Feb 2016

If that's true then i am hype as hell !!
We gonna see Bondad ^0^/

Xenocrisi said:

I think they probably end it on
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun
Sep 1, 2017 1:36 PM

Sep 2012
Did they just changed the entire third layer part?

Well manga part was too short for this layer so I can see why. We never see the third layer effect of the curse so that is good to see. Well done for that and the OSTs. Cant wait for the 4th layer.

Sep 1, 2017 1:44 PM

Feb 2015
Riko is far too gung-ho and needs to think about what she's doing before diving in.

Great episode, I love the way the Abyss is set up, lots of thought and imagination have been poured into this story. It's been a brilliant show so far.
Sep 1, 2017 1:52 PM

Aug 2012
podetus said:

We gonna see Bondad ^0^/

Xenocrisi said:

There is absolutely no possible way to end it there with 5 episodes worth of content left. That's more chapters than the anime has even covered over 9 episodes.
Sep 1, 2017 2:05 PM

Mar 2016
Great episode...even though they might not get into some of the darker parts this season it still introduces the world of the Abyss so well! I can't wait to see how Reg and Riko handle the increasing danger (especially since Riko is still pretty much useless in a fight)
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Sep 1, 2017 2:06 PM

Dec 2014
well that is so interesting how the duo rely on each other...on the other note...so in love with the ost i the beginning
Sep 1, 2017 3:38 PM

Nov 2007
Riko irritates me so much oh gawd
Sep 1, 2017 3:44 PM
Nov 2014
What the hell? At the end, is she cooking with an iron pot?? Were they carrying that all the way?
Sep 1, 2017 4:08 PM

Sep 2008
Nostalgik said:
Oh boy oh boy I can already see the vegans hating on Riko for sacrificing those lil' furballs at the beginning.

Lol. i'm a vegan and i dont hate Riko, totally understand why she did it though but i do admit i felt really sad when she sacrified them, they were looking at her so confused, poor babies

Really loved the episode and the OST is my fave so far from this season, cant wait for next episode
Sep 1, 2017 4:10 PM

Aug 2010
Aaaaand the award for stupidest episode this week goes tooooooooooo.... "MADE IN ABYSS EP.9"

Now we will give a word to the not-so-bright-but-maybe-clearly-dumb girl Riko.
"bBaaa, look at me, I am so dumb I can't give the pickaxe right away to Reg, so that he doesn't have to rely on his fireblast".
"I am so dumb, that when I am told to stay put, I can't comprehend. I am too hungry to wait for 2 hours for Reg to wake up, so I have to go and find troubles wherever and whenever possible".
"I am so dumb that I don't know the meaning of the word "danger". So I just run away from my bodyguard all the time, shout, and do everything to get eaten alive ASAP".

OH,and one more thing. Despite being hungry and despite being a little girl she manages to carry Reg (I bet he has more weight than Riko ) for 2 hours. LOGIC? Fck logic.
Seriously, if they keep doing this shit, this show will never get to top.

One good thing that can be picked from this episode: men have more brains than women but women actually never listen to men.

Mod Edit: Removed constant "autistic" from the post. This can be seen as offensive to autistic people.
TyrelSep 1, 2017 6:54 PM
Sep 1, 2017 4:27 PM

Sep 2012
@LIquId4T0r

*Sighs*

Let me remind you that pickaxe is really fragile and can misfire.(Mentioned by Ozen)

Also Riko "as a walking corpse" want to go to the bottom of the Abyss. You can say it was because of hunger but was it really?
Sep 1, 2017 4:32 PM
Jun 2011
TheDustyRed said:
podetus said:

We gonna see Bondad ^0^/

There is absolutely no possible way to end it there with 5 episodes worth of content left. That's more chapters than the anime has even covered over 9 episodes.
even with one hour special in the final episode there is no way to get there?
Sep 1, 2017 4:34 PM

Oct 2015
kaizureki said:
Nostalgik said:

Lol. i'm a vegan and i dont hate Riko, totally understand why she did it though but i do admit i felt really sad when she sacrified them, they were looking at her so confused, poor babies

Really loved the episode and the OST is my fave so far from this season, cant wait for next episode
I was just generalizing and making a joke about it

This OST is SERIOUSLY GOD-LIKE
Sep 1, 2017 4:47 PM

Jun 2014
There was definitely a lot of danger in this episode. Riko was lucky to get through it alive, especially after she ignored Reg's advice to stay put while he went unconscious.

Looks like we'll get to see the fourth layer in the next episode.

Sep 1, 2017 4:55 PM

Jan 2013
LIquId4T0r said:
Now we will give a word to the not-so-bright-but-maybe-clearly-autistic girl Riko.

I honestly believe that you need to be autistic like Riko (or to have some mental disorder like the other white whistles ) in order to reach the bottom of the abyss. After the 4th layer its literally hell. I felt sick in my stomach so many times over stuff that happens to her that its simply incredible that she can still keep her "yay adventure" attitude.

Not a single sane person would go beyond the 4th layer.
Sep 1, 2017 5:18 PM

Aug 2015
Still loving this show, this episode really gave me that adventure feel. Very nice. Some people say the pacing is slow, which I don't really get, that's how it's supposed to be with adventure IMO. Look at Mushishi and Kino no Tabi. I wish they would put down a bit more time on each layer, I would like to see more of the environment you know. Then again, they only got 13 eps.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Sep 1, 2017 5:19 PM
Feb 2016
I started watching this a few days ago. Now I'm caught up, and I have to say, I'm enjoying this so far. The OST, the visuals, the interactions between Riko and Reg, I'm loving them all. Especially the OST--reminds me of the Professor Layton soundtracks, for some reason, on occasion.

I'm totally going to check out the manga once this anime is done.
Sep 1, 2017 5:34 PM

May 2016
juicykitten95 said:
LIquId4T0r said:
Now we will give a word to the not-so-bright-but-maybe-clearly-autistic girl Riko.

I honestly believe that you need to be autistic like Riko (or to have some mental disorder like the other white whistles ) in order to reach the bottom of the abyss. After the 4th layer its literally hell. I felt sick in my stomach so many times over stuff that happens to her that its simply incredible that she can still keep her "yay adventure" attitude.

Not a single sane person would go beyond the 4th layer.
Indeed. As we already know Riko isn't a normal person, being a walking corpse naturally attracted to the abyss. Her strive to keep going forward isn't surprising.

I too was wondering why they didn't use the pickaxe thing against the first monster. Yes it's fragile and prone to misfire, but I get the impression that they didn't even consider using it due to the fear of the situation. I don't think any normal person can behave rationally when inches from death, thus unable to quickly assess all the options. Using the incinerator was the best option considering the circumstances, even if they knew the consequences of doing so.

Overall I once again quite liked this episode. Great to see Riko take the front foot for once while Reg was taking a snooze, showing her worth as an explorer. It's usually Reg doing all the fighting so it was nice to see the roles switched for once. Those furball animals were cute, I found it quite amusing when the trio were being chased by them for smelling like berries.

Also great to see the effects of the curse in action and the visions of Lyza. It's a wonderful reflection of how reliant both Riko & Reg are on each other.

Also news on the hour long special makes me moist, hopefully now the story can be fleshed out a bit further and can reach a good conclusion. This series is on track to be the best anime of 2017 for me, and could very easily make it on my favourite's list. It's been a while since I've enojyed an anime this much.
Bondrewd did nothing wrong.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

180 by eWEQRW123123 »»
Apr 19, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

768 by asbest0sdust »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

234 by p1f1 »»
Apr 16, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Are the movies cannon…?

Skylar-whoo - Apr 15

21 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 15, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 24, 7:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.