Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2017 4:41 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really like the style of art they used for the Ougi Dark arc. The black and white coloring brings a more eerie feel to the story.

Episode featured a lot of Ougi and the character's identity (imo, one of the biggest mysteries in this series). Really good amount of psychology in this episode as well.
Aug 13, 2017 7:39 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
So we find out that the only way of defeating Ougi is by revealing her true name to her, and this jib has been assigned to Araragi. Once her identity is revealed, she will be an apparition faking her identity, causing "darkness" to consume her. Ougi in this episode felt really shady, especially when she was talking to Tsukihi. That being said, Ougi's always interesting whenever she's in the series. And we finally get to find out that Araragi unconciously created Ougi, and that Ougi's true identity is Araragi Koyomi himself. Araragi's had always felt guilty and always had some sort of inferiority complex to him, which created Ougi. I guess it's similar to how Hanekawa created a Neko-self when she built up stress. Since Araragi can't criticize himself, he unintentionally created a being that can criticize for him. Wow, this episode was really good and answered all remaining questions.

5/5
Aug 13, 2017 8:35 AM

Sep 2013
5/5

The plan is revealed and how to defeat Ougi is laid out.

Despite knowing how it's going to end, just hearing Araragi finally say those words was awesome to hear. The setting, soundtrack and stare down made it so much better than reading it.

On a side note, I'm really happy that Sengoku is healthy and pursuing her dreams. It makes me even happier that she's not even afraid to let Tsukihi know what her secret is. Sengoku's hair is so short now! She looked really grown up.

Aug 13, 2017 9:01 AM
Jul 2016
After so many seasons we finally learn Ougi's identity and she is pretty much exactly what i thought she would be. Only after we learned that she is not the darkness, that is. I am really happy they involved Tsukihi as well, considering they are both apparitions and very close to Araragi. I really wish there were more conversations between the two in previous seasons as well, but i guess it would have been too much of a dead giveaway of Ougi's identity.

Nice to see Nadeko again. She is now open about her passion with manga and she changed the way she calls Araragi to signify her escape from his harem. It's Koyomi-san from now on. More changes in the way the characters address each other this season.
MouloxasAug 13, 2017 10:42 AM
Aug 13, 2017 10:03 AM

Sep 2012
I really like the talk between Tsukihi and Ougi. So many reference to her oddity.

As suspected Oıgi is not the darkness but Araragi himself. Ahe only knows what he knows at the end. Another great episode.

Aug 13, 2017 11:26 AM

Aug 2014
i didn't understand the part when araragi was talking with gaen so can anyone explain it to me in a simpler way and who araragi connected with and all that stuff?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 13, 2017 11:47 AM

Aug 2010
Ougi and Tsukihi's conversation was so good.
Loved her "I'm good at living" reply
Aug 13, 2017 12:10 PM

Nov 2016
The revelation of how to defeat Ougi and her true identity were so exiting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 13, 2017 3:01 PM

Sep 2011
Oh, it was nice to see Nadeko again. While her new hairstyle is debatable, it was nice to see how much she matured and finally got to redeem herself.

The dialogue between Ougi and Tsukihi was so great. Tsukihi sure is tough. Even Ougi couldn't mess around with her. Also riding the bike like a boss!

OMG the music in this whole episode was absolutely glorious! And the big reveal we've all been waiting for at the end... amazing episode.
Aug 13, 2017 4:47 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
This was great. The group still go into more specifics of Ougi and why she's an apparition. I liked seeing Nadeko and Tsukihi hang out together. Also Nadeko's newish look suits her imo.

Also was pretty damn scared when Ougi showed up right as Tsukihi was leaving. Kinda made it seems like she was about to do something to her but I'm glad Ougi didn't. Then, Araragi finally confronts Ougi in the old abandoned cram school where he finally states what he knew all along: that Ougi is him.

SHAFT did a great job at building the tension up for this episode, especially with all the dark color pallets for the most part.
Aug 13, 2017 6:59 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, I wasn't expecting that ending.
Was hoping there would finally be some action
Aug 14, 2017 2:01 AM

Aug 2008
I seriously thought Ougi is goner, didn't really think Araragi will do that.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 24, 2017 7:12 PM

May 2010
The soundtrack during revelation was bloody amazing, I got chills again!

Too bad literally yesterday I got spoiled on it T_T Nevertheless, amazing scene. Rewatching previous seasons will be so fun, I'm already excited for it.
Aug 28, 2017 10:56 AM

Jul 2013
Not even Nadeko could escape from NisiOisiN's short hair fetish.
Oct 17, 2017 8:59 AM

Jan 2014
I loved it when Ougi can't beat Tsukihi in that talk though. it's like Ougi expecting Tsukihi to answer the other way around but couldn't make her do it.
Oct 21, 2017 12:46 PM

May 2012
Another great episode, really looking forwards to see what the last episode has to offer from this season!
Nov 3, 2017 8:19 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
it was a surprise, Ougi is the Araragi darkness!!!
Jan 7, 2018 11:18 PM

Mar 2015
Another one of those huge info dumps that the Monogatari series is famous for. Ougi's identity finally revealed!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 11, 2018 6:57 PM
Nov 2015
Oh my god, I understand it all, I know Ougi's conversation w Tsukihi is kinda deep.
But this is boring as hell. Planning on finishing off 3 eps but can't watch on without sleeping in between
Feb 16, 2018 12:41 PM

Apr 2013
Seems like Ougi couldn't outplay Tsukihi there, which kinda makes sense given what Koyomi said in the end. He can't outwit his sisters either ^^
Oct 10, 2018 2:37 AM

May 2018
Wow, this mystery of Ougi's identity was revealed in such a well-made way that it made me like SHAFT so much more. The dialogue between Ougi and Tsukihi was very good...

5/5
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Apr 9, 2019 9:05 AM

Jan 2013
Ougi couldn't even beat Tsukihi ... the Araragi family truly is a frightening family indeed!
Ougi's true indentity is ... Araragi's darkness!
Kinda like Hanekawa's cat side, Araragi managed to make a "person" that can criticize him.
Guess it's not weird since we found out how Araragi was recently, back in the day before he became a vampire and met Shinobu.
Jun 2, 2019 10:22 PM

Dec 2018
So much for the war expectation they decided to let Araragi resolve it by himself, well they had a pretty good reason, so no problem.

Also Gaen talk about Shinobu's motivation for this extermination turns out to be pointless. Since in the end only Araragi will be the one to do it.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Nov 15, 2019 8:45 AM

Jun 2017
Tsukihi is as cute as always, Nadeko(damn that author with the short hair fetish!!), well, I'm just glad that she's fine. Ougi and Tsukihi's conversation were quite insightful. Looks like Ougi's secret or true identity is finally revealed, never would've thought of that in this way, sasuga.

Time for the finale then.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Sep 20, 2020 10:17 PM

Jun 2020
Ok now the so Ougi is just Araragi? Now that's very shocking I really wanna know what will happen next the fact that Ougi's identity was mysterious is now finally solved? O really wanna know more.
Oct 5, 2020 11:42 PM

Aug 2019
Damn I feel like the reveal might of hit harder if I wasn’t already spoiled by literal fan art of Ougi and Araragi and someone commented selfcest so it instantly clicked they were related some now and all the clues made it obvious from her first appearance. Either way though this arc is still amazing.
Nov 11, 2020 4:00 PM

Apr 2019
Well damn, so Ougi's an apparition created from Koyomi. Who would've thought.

Looking forward to seeing how this arc will end.
Apr 15, 2021 7:44 AM

Oct 2016
Fantastic episode! Ougi's identity is revealed now and she is indeed Araragi himself.

It's nice to see Nadeko happy and healthy, she's just pursuing her dreams of becoming a manga artist now, she doesn't even call Araragi Koyomi-oniichan anymore, that's growth. I like how she mentioned that it felt like she was being tricked by Tsukihi, Kaiki lives on. And speaking of Kaiki, that talk at the beginning where Gaen mentioned that Ougi is a fake darkness and that is more dangerous than the real one is really on point with Kaiki's views.

Tsukihi is too strong, even Ougi can't lead her on. Well, I guess it makes sense, since Ougi is Araragi and Araragi can't beat her sisters as well lmao. That reveal at the end was amazing, with some fantastic ost along with it too. 1 more episode for Owarimonogatari.
Jul 27, 2021 5:00 AM
Jan 2021
Damn the other seasons of monogatari is already complex but this episodes made the monogatari series 10x more complex than usual there were a lot of information that gaen said about

the situation they're in

How ougi was created through araragi personal struggles

They also said the reason why there's a lot of apparition in they're place i think gaen said it was all because of shinobu so shinobu is basically the muddle of they're problem i still love him though

Also there was a lot of stuff that gaen said about the perspective of araragi how he felt about the relationship between he's friends or his harem also he's sister tsukihi

Man all of this information within just about 5 minutes it was so hard to process that i need to watch it a couple of times

Even so this was another brilliant episode i totally didn't expect that revelation about ougi

Also the conversation between tsukihi and ougi im impressed tsukihi beat ougi on their topic about mystery and stuff
Ougi admitted he's defeat

Though i totally agree with tsukihi's last statement about the mystery and stuff when he said the author might have a plot twist of who's actually the culprit
Angel_crush1Jul 27, 2021 5:08 AM
Apr 28, 2022 2:26 PM

Feb 2020
I've been a bit unsure about this arc so far because as intriguing as the informations were, it was still just that : info-dump (and that made me realize I'm really not too fond of Gaen's character, she doesn't seem to be that interesting in the end), but fortunately, as soon as Ougi showed up, it became awesome again.
And by awesome, I mean AWESOME.

That reveal at the end didn't surprise me to be honest because the more I was thinking about it, the more it became obvious to me that Ougi's identity is heavily related to Araragi. Actually, I kinda see this as Ougi being to Araragi who Black Hanekawa was to Hanekawa, except somehow the split personality became a person on her own... On the surface at least. Unlike Black Hanekawa and Hanekawa, Ougi and Araragi can exist as separate entities in separate bodies, they can talk to each other, they can be seen at different places... But Ougi's entire identity derives from Araragi, she exists because he wants for/needs for her to exist, she is the way she is because he is the way he is, she gets knowledge from him, etc. And if he no longer wants her around, she cannot do anything about it, just like she couldn't do anything when he decided to go see Oikura with Hanekawa rather than her.
And when I think about it, I actually got some hints pretty early on, back in Sodachi Riddle, when I thought some of the conversations they were having could've been just as if Araragi was talking to himself. It really felt like Ougi was just vocally expressing everything he was feeling internally, and it's always like that actually.
So yeah I'm not really surprised, but I'm definitely not disappointed. After all, that's what makes the most sense, and it's providing a lot of depth to both Ougi and Araragi. I'm glad I spent so much time theorizing about Ougi, it feels very satisfying.

Now, about the rest of the episode. That Ougi/Tsukihi conversation was great, even more so that I was looking forward to a scene featuring those two considering how Tsukihi's identity was a lie in itself. But it took a turn I didn't expect, and I loved it. The conversation in itself was very interesting and meaningful, but it also adds so much depth to Ougi. Back when we first met her I was afraid she'd lose some of her charm once her facade would start to crack, but with Owari S2's episode 4 and now this one, I can easily say it's just making her even more amazing than she already is. It's super interesting to see the vulnerability behind this creepy facade, how she seems to think of herself, how it ties up with her real identity as Araragi's alter ego, how she views the situation she ended up in, etc. I could say many things regarding all that but that would be too long (I'm keeping things for the last episode), however I wanted to point out how she states her real form is "ugly" and that people aren't going to accept her the way they accept Tsukihi. I think there are two ways to interprete it (and both are equally true) : the first one is of course, that as an aberration, a monster, she ends being hated for everything she's done (Tsukihi is an innocent aberration so she doesn't receive this hatred) which is something that is currently being verified. And the second one, is based on her real identity. We know Araragi has a very negative view of himself, to the point he thought he didn't deserve to live. It's no wonder he can no longer accept Ougi once he understands who she is and what she represents.
Still, I feel very bad for Ougi. It seems my analysis of her character was correct, which means she really isn't evil, she's just not human. And she genuily wants to keep existing, but knows Araragi cannot fulfill her wish. It's interesting actually, how she knows the right thing for Araragi to do is to exterminate her, but she still hoped he wouldn't. And despite her request having been turned down, she compliments him for having done the right choice (that's another thing I've always noticed, yes, she is very often criticizing him, but she also always praises him when she considers he did the right thing). I don't know what to expect now, I don't think things will be as simple as Araragi killing her off, but at the same time the way he talked about her at the beginning of episode 5 really made it sound like she was dead, or was a thing for the past. Interestingly enough, he also seemed to have fond memories of her despite everything. So I'm really curious to see the outcome, though also pretty worried since I don't want to see Ougi being exterminated (at least it won't be at the hands of Gaen like I initially thought, no matter the outcome she really deserves a better conclusion than one that involves a walking encyclopedia who always shows up not to bring meaningful conversations but info-dump that couldn't have been brought by anyone else).

And just one last thing : it was nice to see Nadeko after so long ! She seems to have healed, not just physically but also mentally. She seems to be so much better now, I'm proud of her.
Apr 30, 2022 1:24 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Wow. I don't think my heart has been weighed down yet this much by a monogatari episode. This shit feels heavy.

As far as visuals go, this OP is probably my favourite one thus far. And everything else in general certainly is just... dark.

Onto the last episode.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 31, 2023 7:20 AM

Nov 2010
Damn, Sengoku's hairstyle sucks.
Tsukihi is so beautiful with long hair.
Hmm, Ougi is Araragi's girl version?
Dec 15, 2023 2:38 AM

Nov 2023
What a very interesting episode and arc! I like OUgi Oshino so much
Apr 10, 2:02 PM

May 2021
RIP yet another hairstyle. Sacrificed for the sake of short hair.

Also, no way Araragi will carry through.

Apr 19, 1:56 PM

Mar 2020
I felt really proud for Nadeko here, even if she's become a shut-in, she's become really mature, even quoting Kaiki. I know she appears alot in the Off and Monster seasons, but I'd be fine if this was her last appearance ever.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

239 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

100 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

35 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 6:48 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

47 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

81 by RioFS »»
Apr 6, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.