Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 10, 2017 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
Well that made me sad.

Jeanne's still just as amazing as she was in season one. The more since she's a mother and would do anything for her child to live.
Mugaro sure had a tough childhood. I feel so sorry for the kid. So pure as an angel he is.
Jun 10, 2017 9:29 AM
Sep 2012
What a great flashback episode. It felt really painful to watch, the music was fabulously intertwined. Nina does need to tone it down though. While I thought her personality was beautifully refreshing, it's starting to feel really forced in the recent episodes.

deadoptimist said:
Why is Jeanne alive though if they wanted to kill her on sight, what's more - alive and imprisoned on regular terms? To lure her son? One would think they could do something about it in 7 years.

Not sure if you still recall, Charioce wanted to gain popularity with the citizens still worshipping the gods, which was the ultimatum he gave her prior to evicting her from the castle. In the first episode she appeared in Virgin Soul, he was seen visiting her in that prison, so he probably still hasn't given up on that? Judging from that episode, I also feel like he thinks she has dibs on the whereabouts of Mugaro/El.
Jun 10, 2017 9:35 AM

Apr 2010
Jun 10, 2017 10:16 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was a great flashback for Jeanne d'Arc and Mugaro. We can probably connect the dots now.

The only thing that needs to be discussed is Charioce and his past.
Jun 10, 2017 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
They said it would get darker starting episode 7, and boy they weren't wrong :(
Jun 10, 2017 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
I love how nina break the drama of the episode in the end lol
Jun 10, 2017 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
xxxSakura said:
Not sure if you still recall, Charioce wanted to gain popularity with the citizens still worshipping the gods, which was the ultimatum he gave her prior to evicting her from the castle. In the first episode she appeared in Virgin Soul, he was seen visiting her in that prison, so he probably still hasn't given up on that? Judging from that episode, I also feel like he thinks she has dibs on the whereabouts of Mugaro/El.

To hope for it for 7 years after she chose banishment over it and in one sentence with promising to kill her child and her later? It can hardly work too, since it's not like she will look like a honest supporter at this point. ...but then the king is shown to have problems with socializing, so maybe. (How does he even lead his troops or recruit followers without being able to offer plausible explanations for his actions?..) Still normally in historical novels and such most important prisoners are sepearated from the rest and held captive secretly - like, if she is needed for info, than maybe her contribution to mining isn't so important. And in the show we see Jeanne inspiring Nina to act, so it's clear than leaving a former saint and knights captain in contact with the rest of prisoners can backfire.
Jun 10, 2017 11:53 AM

Jan 2012
This flashback episode was so intense, especially at the end!
I was very surprised at the moment jeanne gave birth kinda made me laugh... like was that really hapenning??
And now I guess there's only Charioce's backstory left to tell
Hopefully prison break next week!!
Jun 10, 2017 12:05 PM

Jul 2014
By the way, does the king also hate buttons? Because - look, just... what the hell? I am pretty sure that's not how you wear a cravat. And he's always like this, can't button up for shit, even for his own coronation. It's the same during the parade apparently, even though not so visible.

To be frank his design is lacking, despite hotness, and it's messed up on-screen way too often. Every other character has some sort of an easily recognisable dork feature (usually hair) except for him. Or maybe the button problem is his?
Jun 10, 2017 12:06 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Wow! Now that is how you make a backstory so impactful. It's all coming together now

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Jun 10, 2017 12:27 PM

May 2010
Gosh, this was easily the darkest and the most heart-breaking episode in this series T^T

El was just the sweetest and the most innoncent cutie ever!
One thing I didn't get, why did his hair turn dark forever after he got splashed with demon's blood? Is it that he got defiled by it and wasn't 100% pure good or something?

Anyway after this episode it seems clear that Charioce IS a total bad guy of this series, can't ship him with Nina anymore </3 I mean, I really can't see how they could improve his image now...
Jun 10, 2017 12:50 PM

Mar 2009
No wonder Mugaro doesnt talk anymore. Dang.
This was heavy.
Jun 10, 2017 1:35 PM
⚧ | ζ„›γ¨εΉ³ε’Œ

Oct 2010
deadoptimist said:
(How does he even lead his troops or recruit followers without being able to offer plausible explanations for his actions?..)

He's a despot. No despot in history ever offered reasons or rationale for their actions and demands other than "because I said so".
βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£
Jun 10, 2017 2:27 PM

Jul 2014
kyoudai said:
deadoptimist said:
(How does he even lead his troops or recruit followers without being able to offer plausible explanations for his actions?..)

He's a despot. No despot in history ever offered reasons or rationale for their actions and demands other than "because I said so".

I am not sure what exactly you mean under despot - an absolute ruler, a cruel ruler or an illogically wilful ruler, but he is supposed to be highly effective (abolished crime, rebuilt the capital, won wars), and it's impossible in his situation without followers. You can't win wars with a demoralized army that doesn't support your cause and you should be able to delegate stuff to trusted people to succeed with projects. Also as far as I understand, most well-known achiever tyrants were highly charismatic, that's a necessary trait for them, especially for those who got their power by themselves, like Charioce.
Maybe they tried to picture it, but it doesn't work. Why is the crowd shouting after his words? His speech was, well, non-existent.

I suppose that despots, unless we talk specifically about weird-acting absolute rulers, who tend to be killed in the end, also have their own logic and vision and create explanations like everyone else.

But what this series fails miserably at is showing court and palace life, even though many anime and manga series manage to picture them in a fun way. And the political aspect is weak. Like, we know that the king is the 17-th of his name, 10 years ago, during the previous season, his father, the 13th ruled. It's pretty strange, even if all kings are called the same, it would mean that the current one got rid of at least 3 crowned kings and brothers (not candidates! crowned kings, to whom the knights pledged allegiance). At that point coronations should've become hysterical. Kaisar and Jeanne should be seriously concerned not about gods or only about gods being disrespected, but about going through kings as fast as through a box of matches. That's political instability.
deadoptimistJun 10, 2017 2:32 PM
Jun 10, 2017 3:56 PM

Jul 2015
WOW THOSE KNIGHTS IN THE FLASHBACK SUCK. I mean, what the heck. And we got to learn how angels are born... I guess... But most importantly, we learned what happened to Jeanne after the events of the first season and boy, did that suck. Was not happy, until the end when they were talking about escaping with the guard sitting right there.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 10, 2017 4:12 PM

Jul 2014
Also I think that Mugaro will reign in the end, he has love and respect of the three races: a human mother, a god father and strong ties with demons. He'll regain his hair color and become a better version of a golden king.

(Yeah, I really don't have anything better to do than to post stuff here at the moment.)
Jun 10, 2017 4:34 PM

Mar 2017
I'm really surprised that viewers seem to like season two more than season one. I personally enjoyed season 1 way better, I liked the main characters a lot.

Regardless, this season is still great! So glad we're getting 24 episodes.

Jeanne and El are just so cute together!
LunarPisces1Jun 10, 2017 5:32 PM
Jun 10, 2017 4:42 PM

Jun 2012
Well that was sad but awesome nonetheless... Still don't get how there are people that watched 10 episodes of this and disliked or hated this episode.
Jun 10, 2017 4:54 PM

Apr 2010
No nina.
Flashback about jeanne D'arc (?)
1/5
Jun 10, 2017 5:03 PM

Apr 2014
Probably the best episode so far. It did a great job showing what happened to Jeanne and how she ended up in the prison.
Jun 10, 2017 5:21 PM
⚧ | ζ„›γ¨εΉ³ε’Œ

Oct 2010
deadoptimist said:
I am not sure what exactly you mean under despot - an absolute ruler, a cruel ruler or an illogically wilful ruler, but he is supposed to be highly effective (abolished crime, rebuilt the capital, won wars), and it's impossible in his situation without followers. You can't win wars with a demoralized army that doesn't support your cause and you should be able to delegate stuff to trusted people to succeed with projects. Also as far as I understand, most well-known achiever tyrants were highly charismatic, that's a necessary trait for them, especially for those who got their power by themselves, like Charioce.

True enough. Perhaps I should've called him a charismatic dictator. Charismatic, but not especially likable. That sounds self-contradictory, but I think it's possible. He's egotistical, willful (probably not illogically), and ill-tempered, but as you said, he's effective at his job. He's got a bad personality, but he knows how to convince others to follow him. Perhaps the political turmoil you mentioned has left the citizenry jaded and skeptical of the monarchy, and at first they may have cautiously followed him to see how things played out. But after conquering Cocytus and triumphing over the demons, both knights and commoners would go anywhere and do anything at his command.
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
Jun 10, 2017 5:35 PM

Jul 2016
Lots of info.

Things are starting to get amped. Prison break time!
Jun 10, 2017 5:46 PM

Jul 2014
kyoudai said:
True enough. Perhaps I should've called him a charismatic dictator. Charismatic, but not especially likable. That sounds self-contradictory, but I think it's possible. He's egotistical, willful (probably not illogically), and ill-tempered, but as you said, he's effective at his job. He's got a bad personality, but he knows how to convince others to follow him. Perhaps the political turmoil you mentioned has left the citizenry jaded and skeptical of the monarchy, and at first they may have cautiously followed him to see how things played out. But after conquering Cocytus and triumphing over the demons, both knights and commoners would go anywhere and do anything at his command.

That's how it should be according to backstory, but I just don't see him emanating any charisma on-screen. He doesn't know what to say to Kaisar and to Jeanne except for "I promise" - there's zero effort on his part to sound convincing, he doesn't even emote. No grand gestures, no speeches. And, what's the strangest of it all, we always see him alone, he doesn't have a right hand man - he isn't friendly even with the black soldiers leader. How does Charioce even get anything done like this? Surely there should be someone who at least want to capitalize on proximity to the king and is willing to play pals?
And Charioce is just so passive in most scenes. Are they afraid to animate him because he becomes less regal? He just stands in the middle of things. I think that a doer person should look more dynamic. It's high time for him to show what has gotten him through hell and back.

Being likeable doesn't necessary translate into being a good ruler and vice versa. Though it's unclear how much of a repressive regime he has built for humans. Nina and Kaisar getting imprisoned are not very representative, they took part into an assassination attempt on a king after all.
Not sure about ill-tempered though. He is chill almost all the time, even when people run around his quarters or tell him about their discontent with his ideals.

If he was nothing 10 years ago and was crowned as 17th 7 years ago, at least 3 kings were crowned and dethroned in 3 years. That's fast and turbulent.
Jun 10, 2017 9:34 PM

Oct 2016
As usual I live for the episode previews
Jun 10, 2017 9:54 PM

Apr 2012
Not only did Mugaro come of virgin birth like Jesus, but his true name El literally means God (that's why most important angels' names end in "el").
Jun 11, 2017 12:37 AM

Dec 2013
This episode made Charioce irredeemable for me. I don't give a fuck what reasons he has to hate gods or demons, he deserves to die a billion times over in the worst ways imaginable.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 11, 2017 1:36 AM

Sep 2016
this backstory was just amazingg St. Jeanne oh my goddess baby i wouldve had to follow you out the castle give up my title and everything my one and only , also damn how el was born didnt expect him to turn like 8 in the matter of like 10 seconds lol i wanted to see a cute baby el and watch him grow but its cool this eps made me feel for Jeanne even more been missing my boo for mad long
Facta Non Verba
Jun 11, 2017 8:24 AM
Jul 2018
In my opinion, it is good, that they are giving us a backstory of some characters, and that they are filling these holes, but it would be great to see some more action scenes - hopefully in the next episode they will be breaking out of that prison. I like the direction in which this series is going, and I hope it will be as good, as its prequel was.
removed-userNov 18, 2017 5:04 PM
Jun 11, 2017 12:08 PM

Sep 2014
nice, A jeanne flashback! It was way more tragic then I expected. Also this confirms she is Els mother (It was pretty obvious since he first appeared imo) so I can put her on my "favorite anime Mothers list" neat!
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 11, 2017 2:46 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Really liked the development this episode gave to Jean and El.
That scene where she is reading to cut his wings off, was terrific.

Is El, Michael incarnation or something??
Jun 11, 2017 5:07 PM

May 2014
Wow this episode flew by!!

Glad we got a whole episode dedicated to Jeanne- she's always been an important character but I feel like S1 was really too short to flesh her out properly.

It was a pretty heartbreaking episode seeing Jeanne's strength deteriorate as her faith in herself did, and then her soldiers respect for her following suit.
Then she's gifted with a son from Michael, only to be separated from him too ;-;
I was so shocked to find out that it was Jeanne who cut El/Mugaro's wings off...and his hair was dyed black with demon blood. Gross.

So it's confirmed that Mugaro is a boy. Now I know what pronouns to use!!

Also, young Charioce was A+...that sass though. The way he just snagged the crown and slung it on his head oml XD

Hoping for jailbreak to commence next episode!!

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2017 5:09 PM

May 2014
Playcool said:

Is El, Michael incarnation or something??

That's what I thought. I know that he's bound to look like his dad (?), but El just looks and acts way too similarly to Michael for it to be a coincidence...right?

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2017 11:56 PM

Jul 2015
Quality episode. Not sure how some people are complaining
Jun 12, 2017 10:15 AM

Mar 2016
Strawberrycake48 said:
So it's confirmed that Mugaro is a boy. Now I know what pronouns to use!!

Interesting, I thought it was obvious Nina made yet another mistake.

Overall, the episode was a bit meh for me. IIRC, Jeanne had worse things happen to her in S1.
Jun 12, 2017 12:12 PM

Mar 2016
Ah, so Mugaro is Jesus confirmed. In all seriousness though that was a rather heavy episode. Makes me a alot more invested in Jeanne and Mugaro now.
Jun 12, 2017 3:21 PM

Oct 2015
tragic back story of Jeanne D'arc, very sad ;_;

5/5 flashback
Jun 12, 2017 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
Sad and tragic ending. It explains a lot.
Jun 12, 2017 4:28 PM

Mar 2012
After best boy Favaro.
Best girl Jeanne. The power of mom is fabulous. :'(

And Mugaro = Jesus confirmed. :')
Jun 15, 2017 12:42 AM

Oct 2008
That was a great flashback 7 years ago! so many events and revelations happened!
but why!? why did Jeanne did that to her own angel hybrid human son!? cut-off his angelic wings and put and iron ball on the leg like a prisoner...i think that's too much!
4/5.

Jun 15, 2017 8:56 AM

Jun 2013
El looked cute with his wings, such a waste tho. Salute to Jeanne for being a warrior mom.
Jun 19, 2017 2:31 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, what an episode, definitely the best one of this season, no doubt about that! Really great way to show Joan's developement as a character.

Unwilling angelic rape, demon child bloodbath, cutting wings of your own offspring... I'm really glad this show has the balls to show the life and sufferring in its purest form.

(on the other hand, that only shows how shallow Nina is as a character in comparison)

This episode very mature in a sense, not because of all the gritty scenes but because of its mature themes and character implications of all what happened.
Mich666Jun 19, 2017 2:35 PM
Jul 1, 2017 10:51 PM
πŸ₯Š CHAMPION πŸ₯Š

Apr 2016
Beautiful episode about the Jeane d´arc fall and how born "El", her son and the problems of the firsts days!!!!
Jul 4, 2017 4:56 PM

Sep 2013
I don't give two shits about Jeanne D'Arc. Just kill her already, please.
Jul 6, 2017 11:42 AM

Jul 2009
Jeanne suffered a lot for being a woman in front of an army.

El/Mugaro is a girl or boy? I still don't know...that part where she rip the wings off was sad.
Aug 21, 2017 1:38 PM

Apr 2014
I really liked this episode. I never really liked or care about Jeanne, but this episode made me empathise with her. Didn't expect that.
your waifu is shit
Mar 31, 2018 10:06 AM

Feb 2015
Clefairiess said:
Ah great episode. I like how this season takes its time to develop our characters. Jeane sure went through many hardships, I feel so bad for her.

Also, How did Mugaro's hair turned black lol?

yeah i was wondering the same thing as well. it appears it turned black by the blood dye so that means he never bathed (or never washed his hair)????
------
i'm so happy that el understood his mother instead of being mad and and trying get some sort of revenge on her or whatever to waste the plot. refreshing.
Jan 24, 2019 11:41 AM

Mar 2018
Definitely one of the best if not the best episode so far. I want to see more of Jeanne d'Arc.
Sep 5, 2019 12:35 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty sad story of Jeanne and El

I'm confused now, is El/Muguro a girl, a boy or just a trap?

Dec 23, 2019 7:13 AM

Jul 2013
Wow..... this is a very good and depressing episode. Really shows how much Jeanne went through.

So this pretty much confirms that the reason Jeanne was so strong in S1 is because of the blessings from the gods as a 'chosen one.' After she was stripped of those blessings, she's gone back as an ordinary human that even knights lower in rank than her can best her at sword fighting.

Jeanne went full Virgin Mary. I mean that's the only possible explanation. The child from Michael just popped out of her.

After so much suffering, she still fervently prays to the gods and even helped Solfiel escape from the onyx soldiers. Now she has to abandon her child as a slave not knowing what fate will bring to him, clip his wings herself, lured the soldiers away and got caught in the end. This episode is just so tragic, I actually shed a tear for them. Mugaro/El not knowing what they did wrong and has to suffer for no reason. I hope they reunite soon.

Nina is starting to get annoying in comparison. That reaction just looks so superficial. I'm sure the tears were genuine on her part but the way it's presented is so annoying.
May 8, 2020 1:18 PM

Mar 2010
The virgin birth was funny asf, but after that jeane should have just ignored the damn angel.. she is too good for her own good.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

316 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2017

99 by latght »»
Dec 12, 2023 4:06 PM

» When does this epic series return?

NexCore - Apr 7, 2022

8 by GraviticF7L »»
Oct 7, 2023 7:20 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2017

112 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 21, 2023 3:45 PM

» A Question..

L-Lawliet7 - Feb 9, 2023

2 by Aotfangirl »»
Feb 15, 2023 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.