Forum Settings
Forums

How do you all watch long ass Shonen anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 5, 2017 3:00 PM

Nov 2013
You don't. The only one worth watching is Jojo and there's like 24 episodes of those every other year.
Jun 5, 2017 3:05 PM
Dec 2015
I usually put the episode on the background while I'm doing other things. That way I can get the overall story but at the same time I did not "spend" my time just watching a filler
Jun 5, 2017 3:13 PM

Jun 2011
Watch at night before bed. Usually I watch these shows dubbed.

I have been watching even subbed shows that are particularly long and shoujo shows this way. Any long show can be watched this way. I have in the past also watched them with a group of friends ( Yu Yu Hakusho and Yugioh)

But you would be shocked to know that watching a couple episodes before bed, how fast you will get through a series. I even completed series most people drop like Hamtaro this way. Dragonball and Dragon Ball Z. Sailor Moon. Case Closed. Natsume's Book of Friends.

And currently my favorite bedtime anime ever: Folktales from Japan.

Why? Because it is bedtime stories and repetitious. When I am tired of that I watch stuff like Lovely Muco which is an equally childish show. Or Time Bouken if I need something more energetic. Or POKEMON. Look at my list... I have actually almost completed Pokemon for the most part. I am still watching X and Y but... actually... I have seen probably more than I state on my page lol. when I finish it, I will say, DONE. Just like I did with Best Wishes. Most of my Pokemoning though... was :D omg you wont believe this... watched the old fashioned way on Saturday mornings Just like Inuyasha only that was nighttime time recorded using a VCR. When Inuyasha came on enough in the night, I watched it like nobody's business before bed. It was the start of the bedtime anime just like Full Metal Alchemist. And yes, Case Closed was in that line up. <3
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 5, 2017 3:14 PM

Jun 2017
Well, these days, I don't watch a lot of lengthy anime, because I have a fucking life outside of anime. :)

Though when I do watch lengthy anime, I do tend to watch all of of it (for the first time) filler-and-all. But if I decide to re-watch that same lengthy series, I will skip the filler (depending on how bad it actually is for that series.)

But going back, time is the biggest issue because of other responsibilities.
Jun 5, 2017 3:18 PM

Jun 2011
Artharion said:
Just watch every episode but everytime the evil is defeaten by the power of friendship I increase the speed by 50%.

And yet somehow I can watch Yugioh Duel Monsters 10 times over and never get bored.
Jun 5, 2017 3:19 PM

Aug 2016
Been watching most of them since they come out and generally keep up with them. I'm a huge One Piece fan but there are some arcs that I just stopped watching because they sucked so hard. So sometimes I'm in and out of them.
Jun 5, 2017 3:19 PM

Jun 2011
rubylightning said:
Well, these days, I don't watch a lot of lengthy anime, because I have a fucking life outside of anime. :)

Though when I do watch lengthy anime, I do tend to watch all of of it (for the first time) filler-and-all. But if I decide to re-watch that same lengthy series, I will skip the filler (depending on how bad it actually is for that series.)

But going back, time is the biggest issue because of other responsibilities.

This I can agree with. Sometimes I do want to skip over those pesky Kaiba centric arcs that weren't even in the manga...
Jun 5, 2017 3:23 PM
May 2015
with our eyes

GETITGETITGETITGETITGEDDIT????
Jun 5, 2017 3:32 PM

Dec 2015
When it came to Naruto I skipped most of the latter fillers, like the retarded and uninteresting 'Jiraiya Scrolls' (I think that was the name). Now I've started HxH and I don't think this has any fillers....
Honestly I don't know, I haven't started a long shounen series in a very long time, most of the long series that I've watched was back when I was still a green plant, so I can't say much.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 5, 2017 3:39 PM

Jun 2015
Usually I skip fillers, especially if they're like Naruto and there's like 25 straight episodes of them.
Also I go through phases of binge watching and then taking a break for at least a week.
Jun 5, 2017 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
Easy, just watch good long shonens, like Hunter x Hunter 2011, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gintama, and soon Boku no Hero(it needs to pass 4 cours in length first)
Sup...
Jun 5, 2017 3:55 PM

Aug 2012
It's not as hard as people who don't watch them make it seem. When I started watching Gintama I just watched a couple episodes at a time and eventually after months I caught up and it's now one of my favorite anime.

Also when you get used to having a lot of episodes available to watch whenever you want for an anime you really enjoy it becomes difficult to go back to waiting a week for an episode when you catch up.
???????
Jun 5, 2017 4:39 PM
Jul 2018
Has of today is hard for me to get invested in a long running animated series like the way i used to in the past, though not impossible. There are certain titles that i would still recommend to any shonen fan despite being long ones.

In regard to fillers i generally like to watch every episode, the only exceptions to this being Naruto Shippuden and a few arcs of Fairy Tail.
Jun 5, 2017 5:03 PM

Jun 2014
If you like it, the length shouldn't be a problem.

If you are skpping through a show or speeding a show up, that means you aren't enjoying the show no matter how much you try to trick your brain that you are.
Jun 5, 2017 5:04 PM

Jan 2013
Kagami said:
If you like it, the length shouldn't be a problem.

If you are skpping through a show or speeding a show up, that means you aren't enjoying the show no matter how much you try to trick your brain that you are.

This^

If I like a show I don't care how long it is. I'll watch every episode until the end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2017 5:11 PM

Jan 2014
Shonens are fun af to binge through. Most of them specifically fairy tail is mindless fun. They can get pretty lit at times to and addictive so there's also that factor.

Jun 5, 2017 5:12 PM
Apr 2017
The only one I'm watching currently is DBS because it's Dragon Ball and I've been a fan of that for like 19 years. I could binge the entire Dragon Ball franchise without skipping the filler and still not get tired of it.
Jun 5, 2017 5:31 PM

May 2016
I skip fillers because they interrupt important things and serve no purpose other than being something that makes the anime longer so that it doesn't over take the manga. That's the exact why I'll never watch Naruto and never rewatch Bleach
Jun 5, 2017 5:40 PM

Nov 2011
I watch it in my own pace. I've found that I tend to finish four cour/50 episode shows in roughly two weeks, and that pace usually holds out for longer shows too. For example, I finished Sailor Moon (200 eps) in two months.

If I picked up Gintama (328 eps + 1 movie) today, didn't drop it, and external circumstances didn't intervene, it would probably take me three to three and a half months to watch it all. That's the rough timeframe I would have in mind when initially picking it up, at least.

Still, depending on the show I might watch it faster or slower. The key is to just watch it at your own pace and don't rush yourself. When I got over the prospect of spending weeks or months on a single show so I didn't have to rush myself it became a lot easier to pick up four cour shows and long runners. It's quite nice tbh.
Jun 5, 2017 5:43 PM

Jun 2014
Most people watched it as it was airing. And if it's interesting why wouldn't you be able to watch it over a long period of time? I think people on this site forget that they started watching anime for entertainment value, and not to force yourself to watch a 500 episode series you mildly like just so you can say you watched it and add it to your list
Jun 5, 2017 6:52 PM

Sep 2010
The only long ass Shonen I watched was Reborn! which was 203 episodes and it was simple I was jobless and had a lot of free time on my hands.

Since I started working I just watched a few episodes a night of JJBA until I got caught up with the latest episode that was out at the time.

I don't really have time to watch 100+ series which is a shame cause I'm really digging Yokai Watch and want to watch the original Japanese version. xD

I just pace myself nowadays instead of marathoning like I did when I was unemployed.

"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 5, 2017 7:00 PM

May 2017
Idk man, I can't even watch more than 4 episodes of an anime before getting bored, so all of my anime have to be around 12 episodes :/
If I don't complete something within a certain amount of time I'll freak out
Jun 5, 2017 7:06 PM

Jun 2014
perve said:
Idk man, I can't even watch more than 4 episodes of an anime before getting bored, so all of my anime have to be around 12 episodes :/
Probably because you don't like the anime you are watching.
Jun 5, 2017 7:13 PM

Aug 2016
The long ones I'm really invested in (JoJo, HxH, Yu Yu Hakusho) actually don't have filler. I tend to watch 3 or so episodes of one of them each day.
Jun 5, 2017 7:24 PM

Feb 2017
Sometimes​ I skip the fillers if they seem boring at that time and watch the main story. Then after the anime is complete, I watch the fillers when I have some free time. Still it takes long time to finish a long shōnen. Can't watch anime all day ya know. It's about 1-2 hours per day more or less.
WinterEnlightenJun 5, 2017 7:38 PM
Jun 5, 2017 8:47 PM

Apr 2015
As someone that almost completed Bleach (I think I was 20 chapters away from finishing it or something), I did skip a couple.of filler arcs +openings and endings. You'd be amazing how short episodes can be when optimizing times.
Jun 5, 2017 9:31 PM

Apr 2015
I don't...or at least not yet. I still haven't decided if my first is going to be HxH or YYH, which are both shorter/light on the filler compared to other long-ass shonen anime.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 5, 2017 9:37 PM

Apr 2015
If it gives me something enjoyable on the screen, I'll watch it. Fillers or not doesn't really bother me. Currently watching Gintama, 300 episodes in, and I'm just loving it. Its taken me 10 to 11 months to get to this point since I do watch at an episodes-per-day pace.

Jun 5, 2017 9:47 PM

May 2010
I always watch every episode. There are some Naruto fillers I've seen over 5 times. Most of them at least thrice, in the first series, at least.

But always at least once.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Jun 5, 2017 11:12 PM

May 2015
If you need to speed up an anime for it to be good, then how good is it? If I need to cut-and-paste the work, why experience it in the first place?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 5, 2017 11:17 PM

Jan 2010
I love them, so I binge watch them. Without fillers of course.
I prefer long ass series anyway so it's really not a problem at all.
Jun 6, 2017 3:12 AM

Jan 2015
CatSoul said:
I don't...or at least not yet. I still haven't decided if my first is going to be HxH or YYH, which are both shorter/light on the filler compared to other long-ass shonen anime.
JoJo.Character limit. Aaaaaaaah.
Jun 6, 2017 3:45 AM

Dec 2015
If I really like it, then I usually spent most of my free time watching it until I catch up with the latest episode - unless of course I get to watch it from the day/week it started airing then all I have to do is wait for the next episodes until it ends.
Jun 6, 2017 4:44 AM
Mar 2015
As long as I''m interested and enjoying it, the length doesn't matters. The long ass shounen... I watched EVERY episode of them while I was in college when I had free time and passion. Naruto, Naruto Shippuuden, Bleach, Reborn, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Z and GT, Yu Yu Hakusho, D Gray Man, Gintama, Ranma 1/2, City Hunter, Yawara , .... I think I also rewatched Gintama (This probably why I have over 12.000 episodes seen). Oh and I watched HxH 2011 while it aired. The same with DBS now.

Now it's more difficult with work and family, but I still plan to watch Hokuto no Ken, Detective Conan and Lupin the third.
Jun 6, 2017 4:58 AM

Nov 2014
It doesn't really matter how long shows are, just as long as they are engaging and make me want to instantly watch the next episode.

I've watched 3 out of 4 of the so-called "Big 4". I dropped 2 of them (Naruto and Fairy Tail) because I had sufficient reason to get sick of them. For One Piece, I read the manga, then only watch the epic parts of the anime because the pacing of the anime has been horrid since the past few years.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 6, 2017 5:00 AM

Oct 2016
im enjoying Gintama season 1 right now, i can't really blame the filler here cause the filler are fucking hilarious, although i enjoy the serious arc more.
Jun 6, 2017 5:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Easy, I don't

Well discounting Gintama I guess. Nothing else feels worth my time though
Jun 6, 2017 6:00 AM
Nov 2014
If it's interesting, it's easy to watch. Otherwise I skip past the boring parts, or lose interest and take a break.
Jun 6, 2017 6:26 AM

Dec 2015
Lpboy said:
I'm a fan of them as I have seen like 3/4 of the big 4.(Not hating)
I usually just skip fillers or just use a 2.0 Speeder, as they are rather slow paced with flashbacks and constant talking about that moves and ability's.

Just curious how some of you Mal Users watch them.

(First forum topic, please be gentle senpai)
First I set my mind to watching a long running shonen. I do not skip filler and I watch all tie in movies, specials, etc in chronological order. These binges can last many months, but during that time it will be the only anime I watch (besides weekly shows I am up to date on). I will watch around the same amount weekly until I catch up or if it is finished, finish it. I just focus and finish.
Jun 6, 2017 7:23 AM

Apr 2016
I just skip the filler. Watched through Dragon Ball at the start of the year and used a guide to skip through any filler episodes. I tried watching Dragon Ball Z's filler but couldn't get through two episodes of it before I had switched over to Kai.
Jun 6, 2017 9:19 AM

May 2014
Just like I'd watch any other anime tbh...none of this speeding up the video stuff. If I like something enough to watch it all the way through, I'd never speed it up, and If I ever felt like doing so I'd just drop the series altogether. Catching up isn't really an issue imo as long as I'm enjoying it!

Surely speeding up the content makes emotional scenes much less impactful?

As for fillers, I usually watch them unless I'm really not too keen ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2017 9:23 AM
Apr 2011
I just do. When I start a series, I finish it.
Jun 6, 2017 10:56 AM

May 2010
electrolights said:
I've only watched one long-ass shonen (Bleach), but I did some research. Didn't watch the filler arcs that everyone passionately hated. Did watch the ones that sounded interesting and were generally regarded as "okay" or better.

One of them made the transition into a time skip between two canon arcs feel smoother, so I appreciated that. I watched another filler arc after I'd finished the canon storyline. I ended up skipping 40 hours of filler. Wanna know what else I could watch in 40 hours? Death Note + FMA:B. There's no time for bad filler.
And yet you have it on your list as completed. Your list is a sham.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Jun 6, 2017 1:08 PM

Jun 2015
Unagumoro said:
HxH I'm on a break now
BEST JOKE EVER!!!!

ot
mostly used to watch them on tv.
wont watch them anymore now bvcz tv channnel shut down.

might download a few eps short series, but watching on tv was besht
Jun 6, 2017 1:31 PM

May 2017
Kagami said:
perve said:
Probably because you don't like the anime you are watching.

Even if I do like an anime a lot and it's long (like Shokugeki no Souma) I'll still be anxious about watching it. Unless it's Neon Genesis Evangelion
I guess most anime are "eh" to me, though
Jun 6, 2017 2:06 PM
Nov 2015
I skip the fillers; I watch like 8 anime at once to catch up on my queue.
Jun 6, 2017 2:23 PM

Jun 2014
byakugami said:
electrolights said:
I've only watched one long-ass shonen (Bleach), but I did some research. Didn't watch the filler arcs that everyone passionately hated. Did watch the ones that sounded interesting and were generally regarded as "okay" or better.

One of them made the transition into a time skip between two canon arcs feel smoother, so I appreciated that. I watched another filler arc after I'd finished the canon storyline. I ended up skipping 40 hours of filler. Wanna know what else I could watch in 40 hours? Death Note + FMA:B. There's no time for bad filler.

A lot of people add stats to their list that aren't actually true. Its kinda odd lol
Jun 6, 2017 2:30 PM

May 2010
electrolights said:
byakugami said:

M-my ... my list of cartoons I watched is a sham?! D: HOW DARE YOU

I considered it finished when the canon storyline ended, and edited the entry on my list so only 266/366 episodes are counted to keep my numbers accurate. I finished the actual story, so I will not put it in "Dropped" forever just for filler. Filler is optional.
That seems like a good solution, although I personally prefer to be more meticulous. That's why I haven't included any episodes of One Piece, Pokemon, Yugioh, etc...

Jun 6, 2017 2:46 PM

Dec 2012
Avoidance for the most part. Experience has taught me that long running battle shounen series are usually always greatly disappointing and can't maintain the same level of quality storytelling without becoming repetitious and crammed full of filler.

If I do decide to watch one it'll be because I got into it from episode 1 and didn't know it was going to be so freakin' long, or I wait until it's finished and just watch it in chunks of episodes on my own time, while skipping boring filler arcs.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 6, 2017 4:12 PM

Feb 2016
Well, I try to avoid/postpone long runners for the most part due to their length.

There not really any different from a general anime though to me, long as it's a interesting anime and it keeps my interest I'll watch it through just like a 12/13/20~ episode anime.

I don't skip filler episodes, although too much filler (namely boring filler) turns me off. I remember watching Inuyasha and I got upto the 90s and it just felt like filler after filler and I got bored. Ended up putting it on hold and watching a couple of other animes before returning finishing out the remaining half. (160 some episodes. So I got a good way through)

On the other hand, I watched the entirety of Dragon Ball Z followed by GT with Movies included without trailing off. It actually kept my interest throughout the entirety and DBZ is longer than Inuyasha... especially factoring in GT, So it all just depends.

I always only watch one anime at a time so that's why I mention about trailing off. (Also largely why I don't jump in long runners often. I rather push through smaller animes than spend a few months on a long runner)

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 7 hours ago

32 by Dauphine »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 9 hours ago

20 by Dauphine »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

28 by Dauphine »»
7 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

63 by GreatestSaltboy »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

115 by Voila_ »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.