Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 31, 2013 5:27 PM

Dec 2012
Sato being cut off and having to find work felt kind of sudden. I was hoping we'd see him improving over the course of the series. It doesn't bother me too much though. A really good point was made this episode - most humans look for people to look down on in order to create the illusion of self worth. The internet messages were like the spitting image of some of the things I see on different forums (including this one).

I'm not really feeling the relationship between Misaki and Sato. It just feels like it doesn't exist and is more about Misaki wanting to make herself feel better and Sato pitying her when it's convenient. I'm still excited to see how this ends though.
Sep 22, 2013 1:46 AM
Jun 2012
So, it took 23 episodes for Satou to finally gives a shit about Misaki.
Sep 22, 2013 12:28 PM

Aug 2009
Although I don't like how Sato handled Misaki's "confession" contract, I kinda don't blame him for acting that way. Misaki's whole way of going about her project never made her seem really interested or attached to him. So when she suddenly brought out that contract, it did feel a little empty and hollow, like Sato said.

But Misaki is a really interesting character. I always had an underlying feeling that she had a lot of issues, but I didn't think she'd be so much more insecure than how she acted around Sato. I got heart-shocked when Sato found her suicide note. I was all like, "Nooooo.. Don't do iiit, nooo."

That whole scene about human worth was so painfully true. I never really thought about it, but even I subconsciously do that to comfort myself. Little, half-hearted things that I tell myself about other people, or people in general, to boost my own ego. I never mean it to insult or look down on others, but I guess I couldn't help it. It's, like, natural to think those thoughts and keep myself encouraged.

But I also realize that if I am incompetent in an area, I have to own up and admit it for it to get better. I can't fool myself into thinking I'm okay at something by making excuses or dissing others I deem lesser than me.

Euugh, I'm leaving a lot of my thoughts imcomplete, but I feel like I'm talking waayyy to much. I dunno, this episode was just very provoking to me.
Jan 12, 2014 9:02 PM

Aug 2013
Fuck. Fuck. FUCK.

Why did I had the idea to finish in a marathon this serie before going to bed!

So as pretty much everyone though, Misaki was abused in her childhood and have gained a fear of people due to that. Being rejected by Satou, she was now all alone. Seeing that Satou succeeded to get out of his hikikimori state, she though that she could leave with no remorse and so go back to suicide herself at the same place of her mother.

Now there's only one person that can repair his error and repay all what she did for him. He better save her or I'll hate him forever.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 31, 2014 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
What an incredible episode. I loved every single second of it.
The scene when all his friends started talking to him in his mind about why people are hurting each other reminded me of Evangelion. Very dark. The need to feel superior over other people is a very sad thing.

Satou really was a failure of a human and the reason he found a job wasn’t because he realized that but just cause he didn’t have anything to eat which makes him even more of a failure.

If the cause of his actions was simple survival instincts than he is really what Misaki thinks he is.

I’m still not sure what made Satou become this way, cause out of all the characters he pretty much had normal family and didn’t went through any hardships, for me he really seemed like a lost, lazy and stupid guy who waked up after it was almost over. And when somebody tried to help him he just rejected their help.

The only person that I pity is Misaki-chan, after all she went through, even if for selfish reasons I really admire her will to help him.

And so we finally found out the truth about Misaki, even if it was pretty much obvious since episode thirteen. Although i thought they could spare the foreshadowing because it was obvious since the beginning she was going to try to commit suicide.

It’s really a shame though that he didn’t tie two things she said together. Oh Satou you idiot.

Loved the last two minutes when the credits started rolling through the screen, it was perfectly put together.
Jan 31, 2014 11:44 AM

Oct 2013
Didn't expect this to be 1 of the best animes i watched.

Jan 31, 2014 11:53 AM

Jul 2013
Saskee said:

because it already is. God wants you to.
Feb 11, 2014 7:09 AM
Jan 2014
Axlicious said:
Saskee said:

because it already is. God wants you to.

It must be conspiracy!
Feb 27, 2014 1:47 AM
Feb 2014
No time. Must watch next episode.
Mar 28, 2014 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
Woah... they did a really good job with the setting and mode for the "Graduation Ceremony" O.o

... at a loss for words right now...
So i'll just say they did a really good job with this episode O.o

Was a bit creepy at times though :p
Omg Satou really picked up his act at the end o.o

He has my respect now :o
duderusMar 28, 2014 7:40 PM

Apr 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Feb 2013
"People became hikikomori because they always find some way to get by.
Unless you are ready to die, you will work to fill your stomach."
I never would have guessed that this anime will enlighten my mind. lol

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 3, 2014 5:27 AM

Oct 2013
nooooooooo misaki surely not
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jul 20, 2014 9:05 PM

Jun 2012
Well everything escalated kind of quickly. . not that it is bad, but it sure was an extreme change of pace.

Aug 4, 2014 7:16 AM

Aug 2013
Fuhhh.. it's going to have a dramatic end as well.
On the verge of death.. everything else is meaningless.
Instead of signing a contract Misaki should just confess and live happily ever after.
But they are an odd pair.. hahaha.
Aug 12, 2014 7:54 AM

Jun 2013
Truly heartbreaking episode.
Aug 21, 2014 10:47 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
So Satou in the end was forced to get a job in order to keep eating and pay bills. And just when he begins to improve, once again something blocks him.

Misaki sure had a sad childhood.

Sep 2, 2014 9:45 AM
Oct 2013
That was not big surprise, kawaaisou ,,,,,,,,misakochan...
Sep 15, 2014 4:01 PM

Oct 2013
WOW glad to see he finally broke out of his ways or at least got a job I guess when you need food you will adept
NOOOO Misaki D: I had a feeling her past was something terrible and she was abused
kind of amusing that she herself is a hikikomori which makews them good for each other (kind of)
[/quote]
Oct 28, 2014 5:32 AM

Dec 2013
Wow. The feels. Now quickly onto the last ep.
Nov 18, 2014 1:38 AM

May 2011
The foreshadowing used in the entire series to finally bring out this episode is what I am expectant of and have been waiting for. To leave this to the end is truly smart of them. While I have a rough idea of Misaki's past which is a reason why she wanted to solicit with Satou, it was still less than expected of the sufferings she had to go through in the past. She envies Satou; the fact that he has a 'good' life living off his parents' expenses, having a friend who was able to help him out of many a times addiction and even some of his hikikomori lifestyle, and loves him at the same time, by a twist of fate. The idea that Satou finally was isolated (reminds me of Monster for a while haha) and had to become useful in the end made Satou a changed man in the end, and his rejection of her advances were the final blows to her decision to give up living. The fact that she became the worst human in the end made her gave up on herself, even that envy-turned-love was rejected crudely by Satou determined her resolve to give up on her life. Satou is definitely to be blamed for her actions, while you still can't help it considering the fact that he just is the worst possible man alive.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 17, 2015 10:25 AM

Oct 2013
T___T
Poor Misaki...

If she actually kills herself I will be so furious. Damn you, Satou!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 2, 2015 8:06 PM

Sep 2014
This is so depressing....
Feb 14, 2015 8:47 AM

Jan 2014
I was so wrong. She was not born weird. While her uncle was talking about her past, I got the sudden feeling that I understand better what she and people like her have been through, but the next moment I just knew I don't and I can't and I just want to be able to kind of. Argh. I want to hug an anime character. Satou do it for me, save her and then do it for me pleaaaaaaaase!
Apr 5, 2015 6:28 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, a LOT sure happened in this episode. So their counseling sessions end, and Satou basically rejects Misaki's offer of "friendship" (although that contract sure could have been worded better, seems like a way better deal for her lol) and doesn't get any money ... so he's forced to go and find a job, just like Torotoro. I think that IS good for him, but just as he gets back on his feet Misaki collapses ...
To be honest, the whole "abusive childhood" trope is always such a letdown for me. Could it get any more cliched? -_-" Well regardless, pretty much explains why she has such a tough time dealing with people, and she decides to go jump off that same cliff her mother did ... I have no doubt Satou will make it there in time and "save" her so they can have their happy ending. Though, who knows, maybe this show will prove me wrong and do something unexpected! :O
Also a side note ... Misaki's ALWAYS wearing the same outfit with that blue skirt. EVEN IN THE WINTER!!! I mean at Satou and Yamazaki change up what they wear ... come on Misaki, surely you have more than just that?! :P Or do you have a bunch of the same skirt? XD
May 13, 2015 9:45 AM

Jul 2013
Whoa, this episode was pretty intense. Next episode is the last one, it seems~

Jul 17, 2015 10:36 AM

May 2014
Wow a lot happened really fast! So what I and others said earlier was right, all Satou needed to do was starve for a week and he got cured xD Only one episode left. I ended up loving this show a lot more than I expected, so I really hope there's a strong ending next episode.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Jul 22, 2015 10:22 AM

Apr 2013
So... everyone in this show is an idiot and somehow wants to die, right? But no one will die right? This is kinda annoying to be honest...
Sep 3, 2015 6:16 PM
Jun 2015
Still haven't watched the last episode and i don't mind if they end up together but god, i freaking loved his rejection at that moment. The whole thing about she wanting to be with him because she felt he was worse than her just didn't feel right for me, no matter how sad her background story is. Not only that, accepting it wouldn't cure his problem, it would extend an unhealthy mutual dependence. In the end, if they do end up together, i hope it is for "more genuine reasons" than that.
Oct 26, 2015 2:21 AM
Nov 2014
I like that Satou is finally escaping from being a complete tool, seeing him doing work was encouraging to say the least. Misaki's past felt really cliched somehow, the victim card has always been a really overused troupe. But I don't mind, this show is fantastic when it wants to be. Just not that often sadly.

MUST WATCH NEXT EPISODE ASAP.
Nov 21, 2015 6:02 AM

Dec 2013
Good to see that Saitou is finally getting his shit together.

Also nice to finally see Misaki's backstory.
Dec 11, 2015 9:13 AM

Jan 2014
asdasdasdasdas said:
i can't believe how stupid satou is. Mizaki talks about suicide and final words then brings up her flashback of her mother even goes to say that she is going to a far away place and what was satou's reply?

I don't think Missaki told Satou it was her mother who she saw jump off the cliff. He only made the connection, when her uncle told him.

EvianBubble said:
So their counseling sessions end, and Satou basically rejects Misaki's offer of "friendship" (although that contract sure could have been worded better, seems like a way better deal for her lol)

It was not an offer for friendship, it was a marriage proposal, and Satou knew it. A marriage should not be based on the one looking down on the other though, which is why he walked away. He was also offended as her businesslike approach to it, because the contract was clearly drafted up with her best interest in mind.

To everyone stating that it took Sato 23 episodes to start caring for her: he fell in love with her earlier, but was put off when he realised he knew nothing about her, and discovered she could see his house.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 21, 2015 4:30 AM

Oct 2012
Misaki attempting suicide, yup it was coming although it could have been prevented if Satou wasn't the densest person alive. I guess that's his character, but this time it was taken a bit too far so it just comes across as annoying to watch. Also, for a series focused on the life of a hikikomori, his condition was resolved in far too convenient of a manner, as if it was an afterthought so that Misaki could take the spotlight.

I wonder if he ever truly cared for Misaki, as that contract couldn't have been any clearer that it was a final cry for help. He had to be told at face value that Misaki was far more messed up than he was expecting to finally show any care for her well-being. Honestly this whole situation all feels a bit too little too late.
KoybzDec 21, 2015 4:34 AM
Jan 8, 2016 8:56 PM

Jul 2014
satou you dumbass
Jan 20, 2016 5:10 PM

Aug 2012
Jin said:
So 23 is finally out and only one more episode left of this anime. Satou is no longer supported by his parents and Yamazaki so in turn he shed his NEET/Hikikomori life and gets a job, and now Misaki turns out to have had a rough childhood and is suffering from some emotional damage from her step dad.
So it seems just when Satou is getting his life in order, some thing comes along and side tracks him. Cant wait for the final episode.

lol you didn't make it a poll >_>

That was a nice episode.

Fun fact, the moment the credits roll at 22:21 the episode switches from 24 to 30 Frames Per Second :o

Mar 12, 2016 6:19 AM

Aug 2014
Sad episode, I'm starting to hate Sato now, WTF you've done!
Poor Misaki.
Excellent Episode.
May 1, 2016 1:22 PM

Jul 2015
I really don't know what to say, this is so depressing.............
Jun 21, 2016 9:51 AM

Jul 2014
As good and depressing as this all is, it seems like the victim card is being used way too much to justify Misaki's actions and blame Sato for supposedly being selfish. So getting a job is being selfish? Trying to avoid a toxic relationship where Misaki is perpetually looking down upon and undoubtedly putting down Sato as a failure of a human being is selfish? Sure, her past is unfortunate, but the way she's been acting in these last few episodes is no better than how Senpai was acting in the suicide arc a while back; she's being incredibly selfish, demeaning and condescending towards Sato, even if that is far from what she has actually intended.

Fair play to the show for not making this matter as black and white as many other shows would probably do, though. That just makes it all the better and all the more compelling, and I'm really interested in seeing how it comes to an end.
Aug 20, 2016 11:41 AM

Jan 2013
That's such a nice "contract" that Misaki made, to show she REALLY likes Satou.
THe words spoken by Yamazaki senpai and the class rep were so true.

So I was right about the father, just not her real father.
Mother commited suicide :(

Satou will probably arrive just in time for Misaki.
Sep 11, 2016 9:38 PM

Sep 2013
GAH...Misaki is one of my all-time favorite characters now. Hurry up and save her Satou...you worthless bum!!!!!!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 8, 2016 6:57 PM
Sep 2015
Holy Shit. Misaki now feels like a character from Evangelion.
Oct 30, 2016 8:54 AM

Jan 2016
well that was a bit dramatic lol
Nov 30, 2016 10:54 AM

Mar 2013
Well wow so much happened in just one episode.

So we finally got the story and motives of Misaki huh?

Good to see Sato FINALLY start working. But that soulless look in his eyes tho...
Jan 2, 2017 6:58 PM

Dec 2014
flyingkipper said:
supermegasonic said:
if only getting the job was that easy.

Haha. I rarely comment on episodes, but I came here to say pretty much the same thing. Nice to know I'm not the only pessimist around...

Yup, seems like it only took him an instant to get a job. Not uncommon to need to apply to like 10+ different places to even get considered for an interview.
Jan 10, 2017 4:54 PM

Jun 2013
Woah, an episode from the second cour that I actually liked!

The use of abusive childhood as instant drama is a common trope, but it's the execution that determines if it's good or not. Although it wasn't done too impressively, here I was satisfied with it. It's also important that the bare minimum, the foreshadowing was there much earlier, so it didn't feel like an ass pull, at least. And I kind of like Misaki, which helps.

Apr 3, 2017 3:47 AM

Feb 2013
Satou was really cruel when he didn't sign that contract.
Poor Misaki, she had a horrible life and she never stalked him.
Jun 13, 2017 10:32 PM

May 2013
Now it's her turn to jump off a cliff? Hope Satou's speech is better than Misaki's at least :3
Jun 15, 2017 8:31 AM

Jan 2010
holly cow, was this so intense for everybody that you guys forgot to rate? lol...only 3 votes in the poll , that's a first time to see

misaki....oh boy i hope for a good ending, if only satou would've waken up earlier, damn it

5/5 , 20 more minutes of this amazing rollercoaster T_T
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Aug 14, 2017 11:34 PM

Mar 2015
Goddamnit she wants to kill herself :( apparently she wants to be needed in her life and that was Satou and how she fall in love with him. DAMN!

Sep 9, 2017 1:26 PM
Sep 2016
ahhhh why did you do this to misaki Satou?!!!!!!
Nov 12, 2017 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
what we learned here is that if you really want to effectively cure a hikikomori all you need to do is STOP GIVING THEM FOOD
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

113 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

114 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:08 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Juliab - Mar 7, 2008

164 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Aug 20, 2008

123 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:23 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Feb 6, 2008

215 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.