Forum Settings
Forums

Do you actually read the reviews/look at the ratings when looking for a new anime?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 28, 2017 4:58 AM

Feb 2016
Sometimes but not everytime.This is not something important to me because I can always have a different opinion after that.Just because most of the people think a Anime is bad or good doesn't directy mean that I will think so too.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Mar 28, 2017 4:59 AM

May 2014
I mostly read the synopsis/genres when looking for a new show. Score doesn't really matter unless it's below 6, then I might read some reviews first, but not always. For instance, I started watching Kemono Friends when it had a 5.2 average score, and it turned out to be better than I thought it would be.
Mar 28, 2017 5:25 AM

Apr 2016
Nah, not really. I only glance at them to check their position and popularity and mean score, but it doesn't really affect me when searching for new anime to watch.
Mar 28, 2017 5:46 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.

Nope.

Nope nope nope nope nope.

Reviews tend to really suck and tend to be written by people who have views incompatiable with my own, making their thoughts on it kind of worthless. Also, a lot of anime I tend to really like tend to get review and score bombed - Yosuga no Sora, Magipoka, OreImo, so on and so forth - whereas a lot of stuff I disliked gets praised to high heavens; OPM, KLK, so on and so forth.

Tends to be counterproductive to pay attention to that when I'm deciding whether or not to watch something, based on my own experiences.

Mar 28, 2017 5:48 AM
Aug 2015
Nope...
I read the synopsis/description and take it from there.
Mar 28, 2017 5:49 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Blarey said:

Well reviews are another thing, but the rating on MAL is based off of the whole MAL community who rated it so it's not just one random person's thoughts. I agree though that a lot of reviews are bullshit so usually I don't read them unless it's a favorite of mine.

WOW... thank you Captain Extremely Obvious...

im not talking about the overall score, im talking about making a new account just to add ONE anime and hate on it
EcchiGodMamsterMar 28, 2017 5:54 AM
Mar 28, 2017 6:10 AM

Jul 2014
lol hell no, especially the fanboi ones, I'm just thinking "what the hell are they injecting..."
Mar 28, 2017 6:36 AM

Aug 2015
Oh yes I definitely take any review and the rating into consideration. When I get conflicting reviews then I will always pick the review that is the most "helpful" because surely that gives an accurate judgment on whether I will like an anime.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Mar 28, 2017 6:58 AM

Jun 2016
No, i don't read reviews. some reviews contain spoilers that will ruin my enjoyment when watching anime. And, i don't care about other user review. Every user has different taste and can write what they like/hate about anime in their review.

When looking for a new anime to watch, i just read synopsis and genre to give first perception "i like this anime or not". And automatically look the score, because it's included
AdriwanMar 28, 2017 7:15 AM
Mar 28, 2017 7:05 AM

Nov 2012
If it is new, just with the charts, read the description and try it. If we make "click" nice, if not, well, that's cool, too. (with some rare cases that come with disgust)

If the anime has some time, I'll go for some serious reviews and some ratings, yes.

But not too much, trolls with lots of time are always nearby.
Mar 28, 2017 7:07 AM

May 2009
I only look at the ratings, as well as the recommendations. I only read the reviews after I finish the anime just to see if there are people who have the same thoughts as mine, and if there are some insights which might change my view on the anime.

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Mar 28, 2017 8:00 AM
Mar 2017
Manaban said:
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.

Nope.

Nope nope nope nope nope.

Reviews tend to really suck and tend to be written by people who have views incompatiable with my own, making their thoughts on it kind of worthless. Also, a lot of anime I tend to really like tend to get review and score bombed - Yosuga no Sora, Magipoka, OreImo, so on and so forth - whereas a lot of stuff I disliked gets praised to high heavens; OPM, KLK, so on and so forth.

Tends to be counterproductive to pay attention to that when I'm deciding whether or not to watch something, based on my own experiences.

Yep.
Shimoneta, the first and still the best ecchi I've ever seen, had a strong message about overcencorship in society, had one of the best dubs I've ever seen in an anime, had excellent animation, wasn't even a harem, and still recieved a 7.5 rating.
That's when I stopped listening to reviews and ratings.
Mar 28, 2017 8:15 AM

Aug 2016
Kind of hard not for me to look at the score when I open up an entry and see a large font bolded number right in front of my face. Overall though the score doesn't affect whether I add it or not since I have added 6s before.

As for reviews, I don't read the reviews before (my expectations of the anime will change + potential spoilers) and after (I rather watch another anime series). Seeing the score breakdown without being told the weight of each category too irks me.

Story 8/10
Characters 9/10
Soundtrack 9/10
Animation 10/10
<insert other scores>

Overall 10/10

mmmkay.....
Mar 28, 2017 8:28 AM

Nov 2016
Yes, just so my expectations can be crushed.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 28, 2017 8:35 AM

Dec 2014
Now that you mention it .... o_O
I look at the ratings sometimes tho
Mar 28, 2017 8:58 AM

Nov 2014
I normally don't look at reviews and scores until I've watched it, but I'll occasionally skim the top 4 reviews on a show if I'm on the fence about watching or if I'm a few episodes in and considering dropping. If none of those make a very compelling case for why I should watch it, I just don't bother.
Mar 28, 2017 9:00 AM

Apr 2016
Of course, first check the ratings, if it is above 7 then it is worth a go.
Also check the reviews first if it looks boring/slow from the promo trailer etc..
Mar 28, 2017 9:08 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, because I'm interested in other people's opinions. They don't necessarily influence mine in any way or my decision to watch the show, but they're interesting to read from good writers.

Unfortunately, too many reviews are composed of "It was good 8/10 action and comedy good watch it I guess".
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 28, 2017 9:09 AM

Oct 2016
I think that in general, the community is pretty good at identifying what is good or not. Or perhaps, which anime are the most promising. If I see an anime with a score between 7.5 and 8, I'll bet it has a little less promise than the one with an 8.5. Still, high/low scores doesn't mean I'll like it more. Clannad and Kanon have less then 8.3, and I like them more than my third favorite, Steins;Gate, which has one of the highest scores in the database.
Mar 28, 2017 10:25 AM

Mar 2017
yup i actually do. although it almost doesn't affect whether or not i watch an anime. I think i've only dropped one anime because of the reviews.
Most of the time i dont really give a damn about plot or whatever so thats why reviews hardly affect my watchlist
Mar 28, 2017 10:37 AM

Mar 2017
Yes/no.

Depends on my approach.

-If heard it duscussed and/or a friend has reccomened it I have usually dicussed it/seen discussion and have a thought on whether I will watch it or not already.

-If it was a random anime selector I would most likely read the review and rating but inevitabally halve-judge it on it's ''appearance''.

-If it was a new episode listing during the season i would 100% judge it on its appearance..... though I normally give any a go though, even if unappealing to myself as i try not to judge and possibly ditch a few episodes later.
My Links

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
Mar 28, 2017 11:07 AM

Aug 2015
I think reviews are relevant only if you actually complete the anime.
Nobody uses scores right since it's like the most subjective thing on earth, so i don't care about that either.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Mar 28, 2017 11:22 AM

Jan 2015
Nope. I only look at the genres and the descriptions. I go into every anime I watch with a clear mind free of other people's opinions. And that's what reviews are, opinions.

And people like to troll. Especially on the 'popular' anime.
Mar 28, 2017 11:26 AM

Dec 2016
I don't really care about ratings if I have time I will give any anime a chance.
I only read reviews after I watch an anime so I can see if they are right or they just some haters hitting on anime.
Mar 28, 2017 11:45 AM

Dec 2015
Rating? Never, at least not here, and very rarely elsewhere. A numerical value should be a nice indicator of the worth of a show under the eyes of the masses. But it isn't here, since nobody understand something as perfectly objective as numbers. And because everything here is noted through the pop-corn factor exclusively (the opposite of a critic).
Reviews?
- Never here, because it would cost me far too much time to find an intelligible critic among an infinity of rants, baseless praises or trampling etc. And often the few ones who could actually do their job are badly written.
- Very often, when it's in a magazine (or sometimes on professional websites). Always on this amateur website.

I do this not "when I am looking for a new show" but at any occasion because you can always discover something interesting through this mean.
Rei_IIIMar 28, 2017 12:16 PM
Mar 28, 2017 11:49 AM

Jul 2012
Nah.
Sometimes I will give a chance to an anime because of a review, normally from a youtuber I like, but it is not necessary for me.

Mar 28, 2017 11:51 AM
Tuturuuuuuu

Sep 2016
I just look at the rates to avoid really bad animes, but only the veeeery bad.. like under 5....
Mar 28, 2017 12:04 PM

May 2015
Why not hear what other people got to say? Maybe they can offer an interesting perspective.

I read reviews sometimes after finishing a show, so I'll know what's been said about it, what new things I can say and what arguments to respond to when I'm reviewing.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 28, 2017 12:08 PM

Jul 2011
No because they usually / always contain spoilers, be it minor or major spoilers.

But I do read some AFTER I completed the whole series just for some fun read.
Mar 28, 2017 1:15 PM

Nov 2009
Yes. I want to know the perception of a show before diving in
Mar 28, 2017 1:24 PM

Nov 2013
EcchiLordMamster said:
Blarey said:

Well reviews are another thing, but the rating on MAL is based off of the whole MAL community who rated it so it's not just one random person's thoughts. I agree though that a lot of reviews are bullshit so usually I don't read them unless it's a favorite of mine.

im not talking about the overall score, im talking about making a new account just to add ONE anime and hate on it

I think you may have misread the thread title
Mar 28, 2017 1:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Blarey said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

i was just talking about the ONE TIME i read a review and was just making fun of the review

i had already answered: NO
Mar 28, 2017 2:01 PM
May 2016
For LN maybe i should have see the review of people but sometime i read the synopsis.

For anime ? I dont see what the people review "bad" or "good" but actually im read the synopsis and the genre.

if I was interested in the synopsis, I'll watch it. sometimes, the anime is not running on the basis of the synopsis (out of the synopsis). if so, I would not go to watch anime.
Mar 28, 2017 2:06 PM

Nov 2013
EcchiLordMamster said:
Blarey said:

i was just talking about the ONE TIME i read a review and was just making fun of the review

Okay so.. you do look at the overall score/ratings before watching something, you just don't bother reading reviews?
Mar 28, 2017 2:13 PM

Mar 2014
Yes and no.
Most anime i watch since like 1 year are current season anime, so there are no reviews or scores yet anyway.
But, when i'm looking for an older anime to watch, i sometimes look at the score and/or reviews score to see if it is generally well received. It almost never changes if i'm gonna watch it or not though, also i never read the reviews before watching an anime, i only look at the score. The only times i read reviews is when i'm hesitating for a score to give an anime, like if i hesitate between a 7 or an 8 for a certain anime, i might read some reviews to see if people noticed some good or bad things about it. Could be foreshadowing for good things or plot holes for bad ones. If i hadn't noticed those, it might help choose between 2 scores.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Mar 28, 2017 2:16 PM

Jan 2013
Take the reviews and the ratings on MAL with a grain of salt.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 28, 2017 2:17 PM

Jul 2009
Used to be only after I finished a show, but the new Preliminary Reviews system now made it to before and after for me.

Never said I base my decisions entirely on them though.
Mar 28, 2017 2:50 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Blarey said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Okay so.. you do look at the overall score/ratings before watching something, you just don't bother reading reviews?

yea i do look at the score, but it doesn't affect whether or not i watch, although i know if its a 7.0 or below im probably going to love it xD
Mar 28, 2017 3:40 PM

Oct 2016
Yeah, always. While a high rating isn't a guarantee i'll like it and visa versa and I like to form my own opinions myself regardless of anything else, if everyone rates it like a 3 and/or the average is less than a 7, chances are it's low quality and i'm not going to like it
Mar 28, 2017 3:40 PM

Dec 2015
Not really. I read them after watching certain series that strongly affected my emotions.
Mar 28, 2017 3:50 PM

Oct 2015
no, you're stupid if u do so.

Nunnally03 said:
Not really. I read them after watching certain series that strongly affected my emotions.
dats not a gud idea

ez ezee
-
easy way to get triggered.

specially if it really moved u, I can tell from sig pishure, lul.
Mar 28, 2017 3:59 PM

Mar 2017
I use only the preview guide for the upcoming seasons and afterward, i review those anime myself. The preview guide helps me know what i'll expect from the anime.

Aside from that,for the older animes, normally i just watch what i want, then look at the reviews later upon finishing the series and made my own review in order to compare what we have reviewed. If there's difference in reviewing, then i would just say that we have different experience when watching the anime.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Mar 28, 2017 4:04 PM

Mar 2017
No, no, I don't. It's not really the matter of having one's own opinions that makes me not read them, I'm just not interested in reviews for the most part.
Mar 28, 2017 4:06 PM

Sep 2016
ecchi anime got +2 by default since there are too many purist gaylord instant 1/10 ecchi show for being ecchi.

cute girls show get +1 by default since there are too many action fanatic muscle head instant 1/10 cute show for being cute

action show is consistent since there aren't any action haters kids
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 28, 2017 4:09 PM

Dec 2015
Soriki said:

Nunnally03 said:
dats not a gud idea

ez ezee
-

Nah, if the anime annoyed me and all I see is good reviews about it, then I will make my own review about it. lol
Mar 28, 2017 4:10 PM
Jun 2015
When looking for a new show the only things i really think about are what genre do i feel like watching and how many episodes is it.
Mar 28, 2017 4:13 PM

Oct 2015
Nunnally03 said:
Soriki said:

dats not a gud idea

ez ezee
-

Nah, if the anime annoyed me and all I see is good reviews about it, then I will make my own review about it. lol
Nah, I meant like if u really liked it, and u just see it get shit on, unfairly or fairly.

Many Animu get overhated, U already know what I'm talking about e-e
Mar 28, 2017 4:55 PM

Mar 2015
Usually I only look at the scores, just to see what other people thought. Once in a while I'll read through a (seemingly) well-written review if I don't know what to think about a show I just watched, but it's hard to tell who's being serious, who's trolling, and who is completely unqualified to criticize anything.
Mar 28, 2017 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm... before i used to do so but recently I notice one great reviewer who writes review very fairly imo.So whatever he mentions good, that I pick.Orelse I look similar to that specific anime and yeah its going good so far for me.
Mar 28, 2017 5:54 PM

May 2010
I never read reviews, but I always look at the ratings. Just because something has a poor score doesn't mean I will never watch it though.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 31 minutes ago

6 by Rinenka »»
38 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

34 by MadanielFL »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

8 by Dizzy-san »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 8 hours ago

36 by karrotStick »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

44 by Nurguburu »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.