Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 11, 2017 11:57 PM

Jul 2008
So what was the big deal with the last move at the end? I don't get it.
Mar 12, 2017 3:19 AM

Jun 2013
I feel bad for Shimada, I actually thought in the beginning that he would win the game. It's upsetting because he would've won if not for all the tremendous pressure he has shouldered in his back and the lack of support. This episode actually has alot of lessons to offer that we could apply in our real lives. I'm enjoying this show though it's a bit regretful that it'll end soon.
Mar 12, 2017 11:01 PM

Mar 2009
Gotta love that end card by Tetsuo Hara. His art is still absurdly detailed.

Rei's monologue at the end was poignant. Life, man...its tough.
Mar 14, 2017 11:06 PM

Sep 2015
sob I feel bad for Mr.Shimada.
Mar 15, 2017 4:28 PM
May 2012
Great episode!!!
Mar 18, 2017 11:26 AM

Mar 2014
After watching this I'm upset
Mar 18, 2017 8:38 PM

Apr 2016
WolfWood37 said:

Kinda late here, but basically Shimada could've turned the tide had he just noticed one particular move he should have made. Unfortunately, he was so broken by the pain at that point that he either a) didn't notice it or b) couldn't bear to fight a losing battle any longer. Kiriyama was so shaken because he knew Shimada still had life (albeit just a little) but ended up being defeated anyway.
Mar 21, 2017 3:17 PM

Mar 2015
Welp that was always gonna happen sadly. I was really rooting for Shimada to at least pull one win out but the gulf in class between the two of them was evident at the end there, with the way Souya asked how it wasn't noticed after all.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 22, 2017 9:54 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its interesting that Shimada has such a vivid dream as the tournament started though. When such a important decision or event is front of you having such a dream is to be expected i guess. Talking behind someone's back is so despicable sometimes. Its interesting to see which one of the visions is a nightmare. The one where he moved back to the country because he couldn't achieve his dream or the reality where he lost four matches in a row. Still its nice to see Shimada is determined to see things to the end. Things do look slightly bad for Shimada and it seems his tactics aren't really standing out but he hasn't lost yet so there is still hope. Being proactive is better than focused only on defense though. Its good that Shimada isn't letting nerves get the better of him though. Lol I was wondering where Nikaido was all this time. With his resources Nikaido would have been better shape to help Shimada though. But contacting him would have made Shimada's condition far worst because of the stress eh. Wow Nikaido really cares a great deal about his master eh. Enough to actually land a chopper in a school once. If Nikaido hadn't had a match now you can be sure that will be there supporting him. Its nice to see him put so much faith in Rei to take care of Shimada though. Hmm sometimes you would encounter people thats determined to be on TV eh. Such as this chap who's got the flu as well. Well Smith sure got a rather unexpected promotion due to the flu lol. Wow being put in such an important role without any prep for it at all. And so after such an event the second day of the match begins. Rei gets dragged in as the commentator eh. Man this isn't good for the nerves at all. Man the host sure is making it hard for Rei to function on the stage. Man the Shogi Dragon's speech sure put Rein in a akward place. To be surrounded by people that have that much pressure in them though Shimada did well to only have stomach pains lol.

Rank A sure looks daunting with dragons like this among them. The pressure facing Shimada is even more so because of his stomach pains. To be able to use that as a source of power though thats impressive. Looking at the match now while it may looks like its over for Shimada it's actually so. Its too bad that Shimada had to concede despite fighting so hard as well. The world of Shogi is a world of endless challenges and practice where you either win and advance or lose. Even in defeat you will only lose if you give up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2017 8:45 AM

May 2012
Damn that ending :o pretty impressive episode, quite dramatic in its own way, but lovely in another! Pretty nice development and I really do wonder what the last two episodes will offer!
Jun 6, 2017 3:26 PM

May 2016
Damn I wanted to see him playing in his hometown so bad but that demon is really strong.
Jun 7, 2017 4:51 AM
Aug 2014
willingscapegoat said:
WolfWood37 said:

Kinda late here, but basically Shimada could've turned the tide had he just noticed one particular move he should have made. Unfortunately, he was so broken by the pain at that point that he either a) didn't notice it or b) couldn't bear to fight a losing battle any longer. Kiriyama was so shaken because he knew Shimada still had life (albeit just a little) but ended up being defeated anyway.

My take on it was that revered Souya too much that when it looked like there was no way to win he accepted defeat too quickly.
Sep 9, 2017 10:18 PM

Apr 2015
They have a pretty strange idea of commentating don't they
Ridiculously over the top this time, a bit too much I think
Sep 12, 2017 4:21 AM

Nov 2007
this whole arc with Shimada is really great but some people be whining here about the sisters and say no one will remember this "failure show".....lmao ya all fucking annoying
Oct 20, 2017 11:42 AM

Nov 2011
Watching this episode, depression is growing even more so because it is in no way able to understand the underlying motives of Shimada's behavior and to give an answer to the questions posed by Rei's character.
However Rei, though humbled by that guy, shows that the makings of a champion has it, I'm happy!
Nov 24, 2017 8:16 AM

Jul 2009
Lorezhno said:
willingscapegoat said:

My take on it was that revered Souya too much that when it looked like there was no way to win he accepted defeat too quickly.

yeah i think what was happened is souya meijin knew that shimada could checkmated him on that move, so he tried to 'gamble' it by keep attacking him and hope that he overlook that move which sadly succeed because shimada (and other people except kiriyama) regards him too highly as a shogi god. Poor shimada

Also it's cool that Kiriyama able to predict souya's flaw. It could be either he actually really has talent to be a future meijin or he just kinda saw it because he has same playstyle with souya meijin lol
Mar 10, 2018 11:45 PM

Jun 2009
I guess my main issue with this show is that the thing it's centered around, Shogi, still hasn't really caught on with me. The drama is absolutely on point though, and Shimada's struggle and ultimately his failure is pretty relatable to me and I would guess most people.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 23, 2018 4:49 AM

Mar 2018
I expected Shimada to lose but it still hurt. I really like him and I loved the dream sequence in the beginning because in a way it showed how torn he is. He is in so much pain because of his stomach (I get he has ulcers) and he wonders if this was -the right path yet he couldn't live without shogi, still that yearning for his girlfriend who left him, the daughter they did not have and seeing all his friends and family ... my little heart ached for him. I really love this show and all the characters that have been introduced.
Sep 23, 2018 4:51 AM

Mar 2018
Black_wind said:
this whole arc with Shimada is really great but some people be whining here about the sisters and say no one will remember this "failure show".....lmao ya all fucking annoying

I totally agree. I like the sisters but they are best in small doses. The episodes I liked the least involved the whole "I have a crush on that baseball hunk and want to make him breakfast". I admit that I scrolled past some of that.
Sep 25, 2018 4:33 PM

Jun 2011
Dang, Nikaido snapped off as fast as Sonic when Rei answered his call.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Sep 25, 2018 4:36 PM

Jun 2011
Black_wind said:

Rei is the protagonist though not the sisters. I like the three sisters but I think it would've been good if they appear more to lighten the mood.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jan 2, 2019 7:58 PM

Jun 2015
that dude had some over the top commentating and a high ego.
i had no clue what shogi was before this anime, and i barely have a grasp on regular chess. but i really enjoy this anime and how it shows real world struggles whilst also focusing on shogi.
Feb 22, 2019 1:46 PM
Apr 2018
Screw Fujimoto, he was an ass for his rant about Rei.

Well, Shimada's I-already-lost attitude paid off: he got bodied. I feel bad for Rei because it's like Fujimoto was right.

Well, since I guess this arc is over, learning about Shimada was nice but I didn't feel inmersed or even interested in his backstory.
Mar 28, 2019 8:18 AM

Feb 2013
Rei was the only one who saw an escape from that situation.
Anyway, well done Shimada.
Jun 5, 2019 10:35 AM

Jun 2011
oh my, this episode is reminiscent of Hikaru no Go ep 57 or something, where the still young protagonist saw through a move that could change the entire flow of the game, aka "kami no ite". Awesome stuffs. I hope Shimada isn't sick though, hopefully it's not a cancer or some grim shit like that, it would suck to kill him off at this point in the story.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 6, 2019 10:59 PM

Sep 2017
Fuck, man. I was really rooting for Shimada too... I love that someone besides Kiriyama was able to get so much attention. Shimada is absolutely one of my favorite characters from the show now. You don't see this level of complexity in many places. I am, of course, disappointed that he lost, especially seeing that he was so close. It is as that Raidou said. The gap in skill level was, unfortunately, way too large. Still, despite Shimada's crippling stomachaches, he was able to give it his all, and I think that's really commendable.
Oct 3, 2019 8:57 AM

Jul 2015
Quite sad for Shimada to lose all 4 matches, dammit he was only one set away from turning the last match around

At least Rei believed in him while others didn't thought he could ever win
The last match also shows Souya isn't the ultimate shogi player as everyone sees him, he is still human who can lose

Apr 16, 2020 9:01 AM

Oct 2014
That was so intense and beautifully done, ahhhh ToT but now I'm so sad;;;; O O F
Also mad at everyone for being so mean to poor Mr. Shimada QwQ *shakes fist angrily* he did his best, more than anyone could have under the same conditions~
Sep 15, 2020 11:27 AM

May 2018
Great episode as always. Wow Shimada's life may have been better if he gave shogi up, but I respect him for pushing onwards with his matches up to the point where he conceded
Nov 29, 2020 11:33 AM
May 2020
Surprised to see all the negative reaction to this episode those years ago, this was one of my favorites. I really enjoyed how it portrayed Shimada's struggles and the effects of them on his gameplay. The sisters are cool and all, but I always wanted more drama and depiction of character growth from getting through troubles. If I wanted a feel-good slice-of-life, I'd just watch another anime.
Mar 29, 2021 3:04 AM

Aug 2018
Hm.. So Rei's question to Shimada was.. "Despite all hardships.. What for you play?", as I understand?.. Well, now Rei decides that it's him himself, who he should ask this question, it seems.. Wonder, if question to Souya was similar.. Or if Rei has another question to Souya.. I don't know..
Nov 18, 2021 9:50 PM
Feb 2014
Imagine playing a match for two days straight where each player basically has unlimited turn time and conceding before you are out of options. I know he was down and feeling overwhelmed, but I find this whole "etiquette", if I can even call it that, of conceding to end the match incredibly stupid.

The game should end at the CHECKMATE! Imagine watching Haikyu and they give up halfway against Shiratorizawa, would be pretty garbage right?! I hope Shimada and Rei learned this lesson and never concede a match ever again.

Outside of that the episode was OK.
Dec 31, 2021 1:34 PM
Nov 2020
No matter how sad this is, I still absolutely applaud Shimada.
Mar 30, 2022 12:00 PM
Jun 2014
Very emotional episode
Apr 19, 2022 7:37 AM

May 2021
Such a shame that Shimada lost but Rei and Souya being the only ones who saw that missed opportunity was a nice parallel and possibly hinting at a final boss-like match between the two.

Aug 24, 2022 7:22 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
*re-watching*

Wow, I didn't realize that this was actually more rough than I thought for Shimada, in that not only did he lose, but that he was shown the move that could've allow him to make a comeback.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 31, 2022 2:11 AM

Aug 2018
Nice focus on Shimada during the whole episode, its really sad he lost every match, but it feels like his opponent really is one of a kind, I wanted him to win at least one match to make it somwhat competitive.

Really love his character, backstory and goals in life, very nice supporting character, can't even be mad that he beaten Rei back then
Jan 10, 2023 3:51 PM

Jan 2021
WHat lies after the storm, an even BIGGER storm!
Jan 22, 2023 8:42 PM

Mar 2020
:(((((. But I love how this episode really showed how Souya and Rei have similar minds. The last few episodes were pretty tense so I'm half-glad it's over and hopefully the next two episodes will end on a happy, relaxing note (i want to see the sisters!). I've grown way too attached to this series
Apr 19, 2023 3:28 PM
May 2020
He gave it his all.

Now, I hope that elderly young man gets proper treatment for his stomach.
Jul 1, 2023 10:15 PM

Jun 2020
I've met some people like Mr. Fujimoto irl and tbh not very nice experiences...

It's actually kinda amazing that Rei also see the opportunity like how Souya see it. I would like to see them having a match someday, of course when Rei is capable enough for that.

Genuinely feel bad for Mr. Shimada. Hope he takes good break after this.
Sep 19, 2023 10:33 PM
Feb 2023
another banger episode as usual
Sep 24, 2023 11:41 AM

Dec 2022
After all that effort , Shimada still lost... Why battle in the other side of the storm if it's just an even more vicious storm? Kiriyama will probably find the answer for himself by reflecting his own career... This was a wonderful episode
Dec 31, 2023 8:10 AM
Jul 2017
we get to see signs of genius of protag becoming a future champ
Mar 13, 2:15 AM
Mar 2020
this is my 4th rewatch of this series
and God damn this episode is great
shimada being overwhelmed by souya even before the match
his desire to return home
rei getting scolded by the ryuou
shimada losing just for rei to realize a good move
then having souya basically saying "it could have been beautiful"
justifies each characters motives and futures
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Today, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 23, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.