Forum Settings
Forums

What do people consider a strong first episode ?

New
Jan 6, 2017 11:07 AM

Apr 2016
First impressions are always important, but many people these days seem to want quite a lot from a first episode. Every time i enter a discussion all i see is people saying "meh a decent start at best" or something like "what a boring a cliche beginning" and some people even consider of dropping the show from the first episode without giving it a chance. So i decided to ask, what do people consider a strong first episode ? Should the episode be fast paced and action packed, slow paced dialogue heavy or something in between ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 2017 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know, it not boring me to death would be a great start, although I don't really care I watch until I feel like I don't want to continue, be it episode 1,10 or 100.
Jan 6, 2017 11:22 AM

Feb 2016
If it introduces at least one main character so I know what Im dealing with and tells a bit of the direction in which the show is going. If these are done in an interesting way Ill probably be hooked.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 6, 2017 11:24 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly, its this one... (sure, its the real mccoy)

Jan 6, 2017 11:26 AM

Feb 2013
The first episode of Shingeki no Kyojin was amazing.
Jan 6, 2017 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
First episode doesn't really matter for me, but after 3 or 4 episodes, I will come to a conclusion if the anime is worth of my time or not
Jan 6, 2017 11:31 AM

Feb 2015
Jan 6, 2017 11:34 AM

Oct 2015
A strong first episode is where you can connect to the characters and the whole plot of anime can be grasped
Jan 6, 2017 11:49 AM

Jun 2011
Stron
TELOS2100 said:
Probably one that introduces interesting plot points, characters, world building or themes.

The anime with my favorite first episodes include Monster, Haibane Renmei, FLCL, Kaiba and The Tatami Galaxy.

I agree with this. Other strong first episodes, despite them being from "lesser series" include:
Sailor Moon, Yugioh, Digimon, Inuyasha. Pokemon has a very strong first episode despite it not being the strongest series as well.

Basically for the same reasons. Says everything you need to know in that first episode draws you in to it's loveable charm.

I actually don't know a series I liked with a really bad first episode. I do know some that have first episodes where it wasn't completely so clear where the series was going to go... like Serial Experiments Lain or Neon Genesis Evangelion. But I think most psychological series are like that. But from the first episode, it draws you in- you should know from episode 1 if you would like it maybe. Obviously any anime can be spoiled by a plot twist or ending you didn't like. Or going on too long... or having too much filler. lol. Golden Boy's first episode... I can't tell you how many times I have rewatched it. And if you don't like the first, you wont like the rest.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 6, 2017 11:49 AM

Aug 2016
The only thing it needs to do, is to make me want to see more of it, or give it more time. That's all I'm asking for.
If after watching the first episode I don't want to continue, I consider that a poor first episode. There are no rules behind it, it's only a purely subjective opinion.
Werty800Jan 6, 2017 11:57 AM
Jan 6, 2017 11:51 AM
Jul 2015
One that introduces the most amount of information possible about the world, the premise the goal while not overwhelming the audience, telling you what the show is about and what to expect, at the same time it introduces not just the main characters but who the main characters are, in not a direct and obvious way, while being also entertaining to watch without falling into heavy-ness.

Even though, a strong 1st chapter is not everything. In a mistery story is not even a good idea.

Jan 6, 2017 11:54 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Well it's not like anyone would want a weak beginning to any show. That said, there's really no telling what you would consider to be a strong episode because everyone has different answers.

For me, it would have to be either something that surprises me or just simply entertains me. I don't really ask for much since we all care about what transpires throughout any show in general.
Feb 2012
Werty800 said:
The only thing it needs to do, is to make me want to see more of it, or give it more time. That's all I'm asking for.
If after watching the first episode I don't want to continue, I consider that a poor first episode. There's no rules behind it, it's only a purely subjective opinion.

That's pretty much it.

A first episode *needs* to captivate the viewer, bewitch them, if you will, and leave them longing for more. That's what makes a great first episode.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein

Jan 2013
It depends on the nature of the show. In AoT's example, everyone was blown away by the first episode because it had everything; action, plot advancement, gore and whatnot people like these days. Then take a SoL's case, for it to have a good start it needs to have a decent pace and enjoyable introduction of characters and the world set. But in the end it all boils down to one's taste.
Jan 6, 2017 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
Good looking, great OP, fluid animation and decent story. Kinda what you expect, really.
Jan 6, 2017 11:56 AM

May 2012
An episode that makes me whisper "oh shit nigga" to myself.
Jan 6, 2017 11:59 AM

Jul 2014
Its all different kinds but the throw you into the deep end type of setup is used the most.
Stuff like SAO and like @Ulquiorra said AOT did it great.
It really got you hyped up and craving the next episode early.

Its also the mysterious setups like Parasyte and K were.
Jan 6, 2017 12:00 PM

Dec 2016
Mostly good introduction that doesn't bore me to death. Especially if it grabs me before the episode is even done. Usually they should give you quite a bit of info in a smooth way, but not overdo it and you find yourself lost.
Tiger and Bunny's first episode grabbed me in less than 5 minutes (record for me)
Jan 6, 2017 12:02 PM

Jan 2010
A strong first episode? Well, most immediately it should set the tone for the rest of the show. However, a big things I notice a lot are shows opening up with their big guns: large scale fights, a defining reoccurring character gimmick, large sweeping views of a fantastical landscape, or the show's central conflict demonstrated in full force. This gives a great first step into an anime, as it serves as a huge bombastic introduction, but it often slows down in the next act, spending time to develop characters and define worldly systems.

That's an understandable plot pattern, but it does interrupt the flow of the show, lending to this feeling of the show hitting its peak far too early. I'm a fan of a gradual build up, spreading one's resources and twists across the plot before making a big move towards the end. Even in cases where the opening and ending are strong, I'm not too keen on shows neglecting the middle, attempting to string along major points and events with lackluster interlinking content.

But still, to answer the thread's question, some of the shows I've seen that are very strong are Hanasaku Iroha which immediately sets the tone for a serious slice-of-life drama, The iDOLM@STER for the interesting usage of candid interviews as an introductory framing device, and Baccano for how it immediately establishes its disjointed, frantic narrative that never loses its steam.
Jan 6, 2017 12:27 PM

May 2014
When I actually put some thought into it, not that many anime have what I would consider mind blowing opening episodes...but then again, I'm more partial to longer anime nowadays, I guess- and those tend to move quite slowly.

I'd say

-Attack on Titan
-Boku dake ga Inai Machi
-Yuri!!! on Ice
-Level E
-91 Days
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
-Nana

all had what I'd call exemplary first episodes not saying anything about the endings of some of 'em though.

So, a good first episode is one that intrigues me at the same time as introducing the main cast and their situation. It doesn't necessarily have to be completely clear with its premise or direction, but more so make me care and ponder all the possibilities. A cliff hanger or revelation is prolly a good way to end a first episode too, because curiosity is the spice of life and that'll keep me coming back for more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 12:36 PM

May 2015
The first episode of Symphogear GX.

It needs to answer three questions for me:

1. What is the setting?
I want to know what world/time period the anime takes place so that I can immerse myself with the world. It helps me understand what and why certain things are there.

2. What is the theme/concept?
Every anime presents itself under a rule of some kind. This helps me understand the story of the anime and allows me to adjust my mindset to watch the show based on its rules. It doesn't matter how ridiculous it is as long as the first episode presents what it is about clearly to the watcher.

3. What is the conflict/goal/aim of the anime?
Simply put, what is the anime trying to do, or what message is it trying to convey to the watcher? This question refers to how the anime persuades the viewer to keep watching. "Give me a reason to watch this", is basically what I'm looking for.

TL;DR: Where is the anime? What is happening in the anime? And why should I keep watching it? For a first episode to be strong, it needs to answer these three questions. As for characters, they fit in with #'s 2 and 3.
Jan 6, 2017 12:45 PM

Mar 2016
i don't think the first episode should be given that big of an importance or it doesn't have to be mindblowing . As long as it does its job in introducing the main characters, its world, and hints of what to come while not overwhelming us , then I'm satisfied .
Jan 6, 2017 12:51 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's hard to generalize given how different anime can be, but I guess the most important thing is that it grabs my attention enough to make me look forward to episode 2 as well
Jan 6, 2017 12:51 PM

Sep 2015
First episode is the most important in my opinion bc if i strongly dislike it ill probably just drop it and if i like it ill probably watch until the end,and usually first episodes set the tone for the rest of the series
Jan 6, 2017 1:12 PM

Dec 2013
I'm definitely a fan of slower starts, especially when stylistically creative and the element of mystery is at the forefront. Texhnolyze's opening episode gave many an anime fan a seizure but I f'ing loved it. House of Five Leaves, Ergo Proxy, and Kaiba made in indelible impression as well. But if I had to choose a favorite and was allowed 2 eps, it would be the first 40min of Mononoke.
Jan 6, 2017 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
A first episode needs to leave the viewer with a strong first impression, and/or one that leaves the viewer with a bit of a idea of what the whole show will be about. If the first episode fails to deliver that, then i say dropping is rather justifiable.
Jan 6, 2017 2:12 PM

Sep 2016
drip said:
An episode that makes me whisper "oh shit nigga" to myself.

Literally Samurai Champloo's first episode. I would actually say that it's almost too good for the rest of the show.
Ravioli ravioli, Kirito will not touch the loli.
Jan 6, 2017 3:03 PM

Jun 2016
The only thing I want from a first episode is that the episode itself show what I'm going to look for another 11, 23, 49 or 659 episodes (If you are One Piece). My favorite first episode, in fact, is Konosuba, that show us, in a very dumb way, that "This show is gonna be STUUUPIIID... And I'll love it" XD And I did. In five minutes Konosuba show you that isn't a generic isekai. That's what I want from a first episode, information to know if it's gonna worth my time. Another good first episode is the first episode from Steins;Gate. The direction and art style are so good that a just did want to keep waatching, and give us all the information and the introduction of characters that you need to keep watching. You just have to keep watching...

Now, a thing I can't approve in a first episode is bad direction. If the direction is shit, probably the show is gonna be shit. So I find myself dropping a lot of shows in the first episode. If doesn't show me ANYTHING to engage or to stand out from the rest, I'll not gonna watch it. I think that's all :3

Sorry about my english, I don't use it very often xD
Jan 6, 2017 3:21 PM

Dec 2016
For me it doesn't necessarily has to start with a BANG!, be mind-blowing and be heavily action-packed so one can say "wow that was cool I want more!".

A strong first episode for me is simply the one that:

- Is able to introduce at least one character who grabs your attention and/or you genuinely care about.

- Clearly states and describes how is the world our characters are living in and serves as a platform for the following world-building.

- Narrates only a single situation related to what is clearly being stated as the "main concept" of the series and not multiples at the same time; when first ep forces the viewer to pay attention to many situations simultaneously then this will most likely bother and bore him.

That's all I ask, mainly.
SoldierDreamJan 6, 2017 5:21 PM
Jan 6, 2017 3:39 PM

May 2016
It has to be entertaining enough for me to want to watch another one. If it doesn't achieve that it's getting dropped.
Jan 6, 2017 4:02 PM

Feb 2010
People usually want an immediate hook. When I look at 3 of the most mainstream and successful anime series of the last 10+ years (Death Note, Code Geass, Attack on Titan) they all have first episodes that chill a bit and them BAM confront you with a shocking development towards the end of the episode, leaving you with a harsh cliffhanger and lot of excitement that demands to be satisfied by watching another episode immediately.

Now personally I don't think too highly of this easy method of roping in people from the start, but it definitely is effective. I wouldn't call it quality writing, but it gives people what they want, which is excitement and entertainment.

My personal favorite type of first episode is the one that lays out a lot of potential for the show, not locking it into one set path like these fast-paced, excitement-orientated first episodes. Introducing a variety of characters with the promise of exploring them in detail later on. Basically it's neat to have a first episode that ends with a bang and makes you immediately have specific expectations for the kind of plot it is going to throw at you, but I prefer the first episode to overwhelm me with potential while not giving me a clear idea of what kind of story or atmosphere to expect. Too often I find myself already vaguely being able to predict an anime until its finale after one or two episodes, which is why I really appreciate a first episode that isn't straight-forward with its intentions and just leaves me with this vague feeling of 'this is gonna be good'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 6, 2017 5:12 PM

Jul 2016
Likable characters.

Two likable characters: Cinque Izumi from Dog Days and Basara Toujou from Shinmai Maou no Testament.

Two unlikable characters: Sorata Kanda from Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo and Issei Hyoudou from High School DxD.

Both blues are around a cat or dog girl, but the unlikable one is seemingly allergic to tits and ass.
Both reds have a thing for a demon girl, but the unlikable one is the demon girl's bitch.
IpreferEcchiJan 6, 2017 5:34 PM
Jan 6, 2017 5:35 PM

Dec 2012
It has a really engaging storyline that makes you lose track of time because you're so into it, and then leaves you wanting more. For me it's also usually a show with a linear plot that spans multiple episodes or the whole show rather than an episodic show.
KruszerJan 6, 2017 5:49 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 6, 2017 5:49 PM

Oct 2014
kamisama751 said:
A strong first episode is an episode with realistic drawn noses.

kaiji would like to have a word with you
Jan 6, 2017 5:51 PM

Oct 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
Likable characters.

Two likable characters: Cinque Izumi from Dog Days and Basara Toujou from Shinmai Maou no Testament.

Two unlikable characters: Sorata Kanda from Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo and Issei Hyoudou from High School DxD.

Both blues are around a cat or dog girl, but the unlikable one is seemingly allergic to tits and ass.
Both reds have a thing for a demon girl, but the unlikable one is the demon girl's bitch.

likeable characters are such a overvalued thing in media exploring assholes is usually way more interesting
Jan 6, 2017 5:55 PM

Mar 2016
Vlad4o said:
First impressions are always important, but many people these days seem to want quite a lot from a first episode. Every time i enter a discussion all i see is people saying "meh a decent start at best" or something like "what a boring a cliche beginning" and some people even consider of dropping the show from the first episode without giving it a chance. So i decided to ask, what do people consider a strong first episode ? Should the episode be fast paced and action packed, slow paced dialogue heavy or something in between ?

The question should be: What is "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure"?

My favorite first episode of any anime so far is from Phantom Blood. The execution was legendary. It pulls you right into the story of the Joestar legacy. I can't really describe it. You'd just have to watch it. It's very riveting and it puts you in a chokehold. Makes you more than eager to watch the next episode I'll say.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 6:00 PM

Jul 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
likeable characters are such a overvalued thing in media exploring assholes is usually way more interesting
My examples have nothing to do with assholes or not. Assholes are fine, but the unlikable examples are unlikable because their personalities are too unconvincing for me.
Jan 6, 2017 6:04 PM

Apr 2016
_Poochyena_ said:
Vlad4o said:

The question should be: What is "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure"?

My favorite first episode of any anime so far is from Phantom Blood. The execution was legendary. It pulls you right into the story of the Joestar legacy. I can't really describe it. You'd just have to watch it. It's very riveting and it puts you in a chokehold. Makes you more than eager to watch the next episode I'll say.

I'll check it out when i have time to.
Jan 6, 2017 6:04 PM

Oct 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
gabrielrroiz said:
My examples have nothing to do with assholes or not. Assholes are fine, but the unlikable examples are unlikable because their personalities are too unconvincing for me.

what does likeability has to bo with believable personality?
i was not paying much attention to your examples before actually
Jan 6, 2017 6:08 PM

Jul 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
IpreferEcchi said:

what does likeability has to bo with believable personality?
i was not paying much attention to your examples before actually
It means that you like the character, not that the character is good-natured. The personalities I don't like for Sorata because he's a pussy when it comes to seeing semi-naked girls and Issei because he's a cuck.
Jan 6, 2017 7:01 PM

Aug 2014
Its rather simple, it just has to have something interesting about it. If something has an interesting setting, story or character(s) then its got a good chance of keeping me with the anime. If I think all 3 are interesting then the anime is off to a really good start. Of course the wheels can fall off the wagon at any time and screech to a halt.

But I guess people's expectations get tainted over time as when you watched a good number of anime, you normally don't want to see the exact same or very similar things over and over again. Exception being if its a genre you naturally enjoy a lot, so you end up tolerating it more or willing to compromise more on certain areas.
Jan 6, 2017 7:26 PM

Feb 2013
both tokyo ghoul seasons start way better than they continue imo
but its hard to put in more words :< its been a long time i just remember having a very positive opinion at the start
Jan 6, 2017 8:34 PM

Jun 2015
Ulquiorra said:

Uh, no, it's not. The show does not ramp up until ep.3.

OT. Strong first episodes are those akin to Gakkou Gurashi, YoI, Tokyo Ghoul, etc.

Strong, impactful and gives you a full impression of what the series is about.
Jan 6, 2017 10:52 PM
Oct 2016
A first episode in my opinion should include and not include the following :

Include -

A storyline with potential
Characters that have depth and can cause interest to spark
Art that doesn't rape you in the eyes
Pace that doesn't explain too little or too much

NOT include -

A MC who's OP and 1v1000's everyone
A MC who's not a complete retard
Art that provokes you to jump of your roof
An opening that imitates a Carl Jr.'s commercial.
Jan 7, 2017 12:13 AM

Mar 2014
What do people consider a strong first episode ? When they had 'deep' feelings towards it.
Jan 7, 2017 12:31 AM

Nov 2014
For fantasy world, a good start would be to introduce the setting and the rules of that world.

For non-fantasy, an introduction of characters in a likable way and set up their personality quirks.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 7, 2017 12:53 AM

Jan 2014
One which can set up an interesting premises or atleast present it in an interesting way if the premises itself is not out of the ordinary.

- - - -
BurningSpirit said:
For fantasy world, a good start would be to introduce the setting and the rules of that world.

What if the fantasy world was not in a game setting?

- - - -
kaiteck said:
What do people consider a strong first episode ? When they had 'deep' feelings towards it.

What if it's not a 'deep' anime?

- - - -
Brb said:
Ulquiorra said:

Uh, no, it's not. The show does not ramp up until ep.3.

OT. Strong first episodes are those akin to Gakkou Gurashi, YoI, Tokyo Ghoul, etc.

Strong, impactful and gives you a full impression of what the series is about.

AoT's first episode did exactly that.

Jan 7, 2017 12:55 AM

Jun 2011
Cross Game episode 1.

watch it, watch it, watch it, watch it
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 7, 2017 12:58 AM

Mar 2014
Acheroh said:

kaiteck said:
What do people consider a strong first episode ? When they had 'deep' feelings towards the 1st ep.

That'll just be irrelevant.30 characters.
Jan 7, 2017 1:08 AM

Jan 2014
kaiteck said:
Acheroh said:

That'll just be irrelevant.30 characters.

What will be just irrelevant? The show or the need for a strong first ep? Or am I misunderstanding?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 7 minutes ago

2 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 49 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
17 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
20 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.