Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 2, 2017 7:04 AM

Aug 2015
Best battle ever, laughed WAY too hard there :
Aug 3, 2017 4:13 PM

Jun 2011
AlexTheRiot said:
Pretty much 1:1 adaptation, except the Hanekawa scene was waaay overblown lol

The rooftop talk was exactly how I imagined, just perfectly done to set up the big fight. The fight itself wasn't exactly what I'd pictured, but it was still just the right amount of insane. I just wish it would have been taken a little bit more seriously(not that the gags weren't hilarious).

Overall, the films could have been more brutal and dark, and painted a better picture of the hell Araragi went through, but the direction made sense and worked very well for what it was going for thematically, in the end.

Pretty much exactly how I would have put it. I'm very tempted to go for 10/10 for this as the score for the whole trilogy, despite the few things that could've been done better. Yeah, 10/10 it is. These movies overall were worth the wait.
Aug 4, 2017 7:06 PM

Apr 2013
Well damn. I have like 300 or 400 snapshots from these 3 films. lol

Aug 5, 2017 11:49 AM

Oct 2012
glad the best part of the novel got the best adaptation

would be an easy 10/10 if not for how overblown the hanekawa scene was, good shit though. hopefully tatsuya oishi can now move on to do not monogatari stuff, I've been so impressed with his directing in these movies.
KoybzAug 5, 2017 11:53 AM
Aug 5, 2017 10:31 PM

Mar 2014
This is probably the best single piece work media Shaft has produced.

9/10
Aug 6, 2017 12:45 AM
Jul 2016
Anyone know the background sound at the time of 36:50..
its like the flute sound ...........
Aug 6, 2017 8:02 AM

May 2010

9/10

this
Aug 6, 2017 1:40 PM

Jan 2014
Speechless,..

That sakuga was godlike.

I understand why this aired last of (almost) all Monogatari arcs. It would've ruined that rather innocent perception of the other arcs; Nekomonogatari and Onimonogatari would not have been the same.

Now I can't stay that feeling that every decision Araragi ever makes is a half-arsed compromise. I feel like slapping him in the face and offering the poor sod a drink at the same time.

10/10
LaionidasAug 6, 2017 1:46 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 6, 2017 1:47 PM

Apr 2014
Laionidas said:
Speechless,..

That sakuga was godlike.

I understand why this aired last of (almost) all Monogatari arcs. It would've ruined that rather innocent perception of the other arcs; Nekomonogatari and Onimonogatari could never have been seen in the same light.

Now I can't stay that feeling that every decision Araragi ever makes is a half-arsed compromise. I feel like slapping him in the face and offering the poor sod a drink at the same time.

10/10
you described the exact reason why ppl should watch airing order. Sadly they are some who cant comprehend art.
Aug 6, 2017 2:35 PM

Jan 2014
moodie said:
you described the exact reason why ppl should watch airing order. Sadly they are some who cant comprehend art.

True. Monogatari overall has always been on the artsy side, but Kizu did push it, and I feel a lot of it is lost on a large portion of the MAL community. The story and images on itself are not the main objective.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 11, 2017 8:45 AM

Apr 2014
Kiss-Shot: Kill ME!... Suck My Blood!!! DO IT!!!!!!!!

Hanehawa: .......

Araragi: ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~!

(Araragi Walks a few paces away from there and then the 1st thing he did was...)

Araragi: OHSINOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! OHSINO MEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: My Side... It's gone.

Overall The best thing I've seen... An Unhappily Ending for the Trilogy. When No one is happy about their Decisions. Kiss Shot is just another immortal being who just wanna move on... I've seen A few anime with this kind of Plot. Not one this crazy though.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Aug 12, 2017 4:27 AM

Oct 2015
'Simple story' yet good prequel and good conclusion for entire Monogatari Series.

After all this Kizumono timeline I still can't feel romance between Koyomi x Hanekawa; Koyomi x Kiss-Shot/Shinobu feel more natural, and now I know how that relation comes up.

More on-screen Hanekawa seems still can't shake Koyomi x Senjougahara OTP. Release order affect on bias huh? I wonder how do I think IF I watch Kizumono first (even before Bakemono), It's like to see Hanekawa got NTR'ed maybe?
Aug 13, 2017 4:54 PM

May 2009
Great trilogy. Great animation, ok story, and different than usual series. More straightforward, and action packed.
Very disappointed he didn't fondle the breasts, like wtf dude, it was the right thing to do :P Tsubasa definitely looks like a perfect woman in this adaptation.
But Kiss Shot best girl! Well, they're all lovable characters. And un-lovable.
9-/10
Gives another perspective to the whole series. Well, back to Owarimonogatari S2.

Thank you for this art.
Aug 13, 2017 11:47 PM

Jul 2015
Lewdest scene SHAFT has ever done. Oh it was a good movie too
Aug 14, 2017 11:04 PM

Jun 2013
I didn't expect to like it too much, so this was a lovely surprise. I didn't realize that film noir elements would be such a good fit for an adaptation of this novel.

Full of sunsets, rain, blood and wounds, black and white. CG industrial environments. Breasts, underwear, muscles. A soundtrack infused with jazz, scat, some heartfelt piano pieces and a electronic beats. This is somehow the second horniest and also the number one most brooding entry in the franchise.

Granted, everything was exaggerated to eleven (Koyomi and Kisshot's emotions, Hanekawa's body, etc.) and the three parts individually had a sort of odd pacing. But seeing the three parts back-to-back, it just works. Different from the TV series version in many ways, but it's a refreshing departure.
Aug 17, 2017 10:20 PM

Nov 2014
This trilogy is just perfect to complete the circle. I feel don't want anything more from the series.

Aug 18, 2017 8:05 PM

Aug 2016
Finally finished the movie trilogy. The adaptation was good. I personally was not that fond of this arc, both here and the novel.

The movie budget really shone here though with great fight scenes and art restyle. They cut out a lot more inner monologue compared to the series which is too bad since that was the my favorite part for Kizu aside from the ending. I don't really like Kiss Shot and the story but of course the ending execution was great.

Gave the first two movies a 7 but since this is the last and the Araragi vs. Kiss Shot fight was cool I'll give this one an 8.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Aug 19, 2017 9:56 PM

Aug 2010
Great set of movies and nice way to wrap things up. I always felt the relationship between Araragi and Shinobu is the most complex in the series so it was nice to see their history and how they met.

Loli Shinobu at the end <3
Ragna92Aug 19, 2017 9:59 PM
Aug 31, 2017 12:05 AM

Jun 2016
There is only one flaw to this movie.
And that is the really fucking long groping scene.
I don't mind fanservice, but like, get it over with, you know?
That being said...
10/10
Sep 16, 2017 12:40 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
SHAFT changed quite a bit from the novel but I forgive them just of how glorious this looks. Just beautiful. I wish they had used some of these character designs for the series.

I've always told my friends who watch the monogatari series, never to watch it chronologically, but to always watch in the release order. If you watch it chronologically, you might never forgive Senjougahara for swooping in and taking Araragi for herself. If she handn't shown up, surely Araragi and Hanekawa would have ended up being an item.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 26, 2017 12:36 PM

Apr 2013
I was so tense the first 15-20 minutes, I knew something bad would happen once she regained her body and I was right >_< Also Araragi never thought for one second that those three were actually the good guys? What did he think a vampire is? xD
Araragi though... he only made her say lewd things, but was too much chicken to actually fondle them :>
The fight seemed weird to me from the very beginning, much to easy. So it didn't come to me as such a big surprise that Kiss-shot actually wanted to die. And of course Oshino once again saved the day... or rather he did not since he made everyone dissatisfied again ^^

Overall that must be one of the most difficult movies I have ever watched... first I didn't like it, then I hated it and in the end i liked it after all.
Oct 8, 2017 9:51 PM

Mar 2015
Ugh this trilogy was so so good. So now we know how everything was at the start of this great series.

That gymnasium scene had me on edge! It was such a buzzkill at the end though lmao

9/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 13, 2017 9:38 PM

Sep 2015
The variation on "Senjougahara, Tore" at the end was a really nice touch.
Oct 22, 2017 12:42 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice conclusion that continues in firsts series of this franchise!!!
This third film had the -tari style, much speak, a little action and suprisive resolution when all are alive, but sads? nooo!!!
Point to underline, the Hanekawa boobs!!! if not remenber bad, it was the most sensual scene of alll!!!! kekekeke
Oct 27, 2017 3:25 PM

Jul 2010
that french song at the end made me shed a tear...

why? i dunno... Fuckin best love story ever...
Oct 31, 2017 2:54 PM

Jun 2015
Damn! that fight was crazy.

Whether in her child form or her full grown form, Kiss-Shot is best girl.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Nov 27, 2017 7:11 PM

Mar 2012
A definitely better part than the 2nd, but overall this movie series was so-so. The Neko-level of unnecessary fan service once again downplayed the serious plot of the arc. Hanekawa's character was reduced to nothing more than an adult toy in both Neko and (unsurprisingly as it's a prequel) again in this anyway, so expecting any meaningful plot or development involving her is a mistake as it stands.

Loved the back story to Shinobu though and her relationship with Koyomi, just wish it was the actual focus of this movie series as a whole.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Dec 6, 2017 11:45 AM
Jan 2016
I think someone mixed some LSD in my drink before the movie. And after everything that happened here he was still suprised about what happened in episode 14 of Bake?
Dec 29, 2017 2:33 PM

Feb 2014
I bought the bluray and I just finished watching it. Amazing. Absolutely amazing! I'm so glad I was able to finish this arc, it really just sets up everything that comes after so well and it was really well done. The animation, music, ecchi, characters, story were all top notch.

I really do love this series!
Jan 5, 2018 3:24 AM

Aug 2013
Been marathoning the entire series since end of November in 2017 and this right here is by far the best part of the entire franchise yet. I cannot believe how glorious this movie was.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 9, 2018 2:13 AM

Jun 2008
This was so fucking good it made the rest of the TV series unwatchable for me. So much action and epicness while in a regular TV episode nothing is happening, I don't feel like continuing this series anymore because I feel bored most of the time.
Jan 20, 2018 12:18 AM

Jun 2016
This honestly made me angry that Araragi and Hanekawa didn't end up together. Not that angry, but more like pissed. Huhu. They look good together, but yeah not going to blame Araragi. I guess it took him long to realize that he doesn't love Hanekawa as much as he thinks. Gaaaah. I still think they look good together. ;-;

Araragi x Hanekawa forever!

This pretty much answered my questions about Araragi and Kiss-shot/Shinobu. That fight scene was glorious. Hahaha.

I can't say anything anymore. It was great, though I still prefer the previous movie. <3

9/10. <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Apr 1, 2018 4:51 AM

May 2010
wow First anime in 6 years I gave a 10/10
YouniverSoulApr 1, 2018 5:06 AM
Apr 15, 2018 10:58 PM

Dec 2009
Man fuck, around a year late I forgot the last part of Kizumonogatari would have been finished being translated and available online for english sub.

I wonder what the fuck happened with the consistency of the Monogatari series anime. I think they completed the first novels quickly when the author just started the new ones after.

I think I give it a 7.5/10.
I'm not sure but. Honestly the adaption of Kizumonogatari has been disappointing in a way. It's really not as exciting or engaging like in the novel with it's huge amount of detail and intensity to the fights. The fights were a lot less epic as imagined.

Some of the dialogue and conversations I felt the drama in them like in the novel but. There really wasn't enough of it I think and Shaft just fucking exaggerates. They kintda ruin the story with their overly excessive unique mindfuck deranged cinematography and playing with the scenes to add illusions and metaphors.

It worked really well in the other adaptions but they ruined it in this case. It's too much.
Heck, they ruined the feel of Nisekoi with their redundant overwhelming style. It's annoying.

It was a decent watch. I felt the drama in the end but... I really didn't feel the same intensity as in the novel overall from part one to three.
May 12, 2018 7:30 AM

Aug 2016
That ending theme though. Damn this series is amazing.
There is a deepness in the sky. So high, so low, so many things to know.
May 13, 2018 10:01 AM

Aug 2008
Each of these three films got a bit better, 7,8,9 respectively. This last one had quite the insane fight scene and emotional ending, really enjoyed it. Might have managed to push it over to straight 10 but I got to admit that the excessive fanservice bothered me, didn't work like other scenes this anime has given.

Perhaps because no toothbrush? :P
May 20, 2018 9:53 AM
Sep 2016
For me this is definietly 10/10. Starting from the great animation and fights, through amazing artstyle, ending on the best girl Hanekawa. I liked everything about this movie, even the gore scenes and incredible fancervice (hanekawa boobies are worth dying for :P).
Aug 11, 2018 3:50 AM

Apr 2009
I always get so confused with the ordering of this series but finally got around to finishing the movie and I was like wait what about Hitagi.. oh right that hasn't happened yet lol
Sep 8, 2018 3:28 PM

May 2017
Man. My expectations were way too freaking high for Kizumonogatari. Of course i got disappointed, especially the first part which was absolutely boring and underwhelming. The second was probably the best because it had everything i had hoped for in kizumonogatari except for seeing kiss-shot fight other people.

So my expectations where somewhat like > I thought that we would actually get to see kiss-shot fight against the vampire hunters. I was expecting an epic clash between the legendary vampire and the hunters. Kiss-shot close to death gets somehow saved by Araragi and thus she loses most of her vampiric prowess and becomes bound to Araragi. That's what it seemed like to me in all the flashbacks we had during the monogatari seasons.

The idea of Kiss-Shot, seeking death and seeing Araragi as someone she could sacrifice herself for, because no one ever helped or assisted her in anything except him was cool. But I expected more fights between Kiss-Shot and other people. If you look at the covers of Part 2 and 3 it looks like Kiss-Shot is about to go on a rampage and destroy everyone. I got baited.

The Animation was excellent. Besides the cgi backgrounds, I would say it was close to perfect. You could argue about the stylistic choices they made but you can't deny the fact that the animation was superb.

It was just so fucking sad to see such obnoxious trash ass comedy fanservice scenes in a serious movie like this. Fucking ruined it. The wheat field scene in Part 2 was fucking long as shit and ruined the ending of the movie for me. The fanservice scene in Part 3 was even WORSE. Useless uneeded fanservice, comedy AND it was long as shit.

Also i was kind of disappointed of how ridiculous the fight between araragi and kiss-shot was. I was hoping for it to be way more serious and not that ridiculous..

BUT WELL why am i even surprised, when it comes to anticipation in fights in monogatari, they always end up being anticlimactic, which is fucking retarded.

So.. All thats left for me to watch is Owarimonogatari season 2. So far the monogatari series had its moments but I don't think I would ever watch it again. Not saying it was a waste of time since i enjoyed a lot of arcs. But im sure there are other animes out there that I would have enjoyed much more.
Sep 15, 2018 9:41 AM

Sep 2014
0/10 got promised breast fondling.

Honestly I was expecting something different, was hoping to see more from shinobu and not so much about hanekawa as she has her own arcs. Also, considering how Araragi goes on to say he cant forgive Shinobu and she cant forgive him, it seems to me like he has no right to be angry at her in the first place. Also I cant say I like the art used compared to the normal series, some shots were incredible, most others not so much.

Well, its monogatari so 10/10. Still I was hoping for something different.

Oh yeah and this scene, man, this scene is easily the greatest shaft has ever done, and with that the best anyone has ever done.

"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 8, 2018 2:41 PM

May 2018
Wow, this trilogy was simply a masterpiece... this Hanekawa scene was so... comforting ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Oct 24, 2018 9:12 AM
Jun 2016
Damn. Very nice series! Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dec 20, 2018 10:22 AM

Dec 2018
This is a great trilogy it gives me more information about the characters and more idea about them...
I give 9/10 overall for Kizumonogatari
Jan 1, 2019 9:40 PM

Jan 2014
Amazing movie series. I gotta admit I didn't expect anything at all with these prequels. I really like how they established the backstory for the Araragi-Shinobu-Oshino trio and explaining what it is that happened between them. Also, it is finally clear how close Araragi and Hanekawa are, both willing to die for each other. I will still stick with Senjougahara as my favorite but it is clear as day that Hanekawa is now the best girl.

9/10
Recommend me an anime
Jan 19, 2019 12:10 PM

Mar 2008
Pretty good trilogy.

I laughed my ass off in the breast fondling request scene.

That has got to be the craziest fight scene I've seen.
Jan 22, 2019 3:22 AM

Sep 2010
The storage room scene was great. Movie was pretty good also.
Feb 3, 2019 1:36 PM

Apr 2013
This trilogy made me appreciate Hanekawa more if anything. It's a shame Araragi ended up with Hitagi over her.
Mar 2, 2019 9:24 AM
Apr 2016
Oshino vs. Araragi was SOOOOOOOOO damn sick, it was aesthetically AMAZING. The boob fondling scene with Hanekawa though ahhhaha, it was pretty good ngl. Good movie.
Mar 30, 2019 4:01 PM
Aug 2018
Wow, he just noticed now that vampires are famous for drinking human blood?

Not sure how this whole nutrition thing for vampires works, but what about eating animals instead of humans?

Another question:
In this movie we see hands that follow and grab Hanekawas naked(?) body. (This also occurs in the intro of Bake Ep. 15, a running and seemingly naked Hanekawa gets molested by several hands)

What's the meaning behind that?
tr25a3Mar 30, 2019 6:42 PM
Apr 7, 2019 8:39 AM

Jan 2013
Kiss-Shot is so cute together with Araragi :D
Araragi finally finds out she isn't just a really pretty and joyful lady, she is in fact still a vampire that needs to eat.
Yep makes sense Araragi, gotta build up a tolerance of big breasts ^^
Jeez .. what a scene with Araragi getting to fondle her breasts ... can you imagine the voice actors ... lmao
Ofcourse he'd be unable after all that talk.
Insane fight and beautiful ending to the start of the Monogatari seasons.
It's sad knowing all Kiss-Shot wanted was to die and Araragi didn't let her, now having to live as a pet / a servant to Araragi himself (roles reversed)

I can definitely appreciate these movies a lot more after seeing all of the previous seasons before it (in release order) - it has a lot more impact that way, for me at least. (Despite seeing them with large gaps in betwwen)
Also makes the first few seasons a lot more interesting and mysterious.
I'm just in love with the whole Monogatari franchise, it's such a beautiful and interesting story.
Can't wait for all of the novels to be adapted eventually.

10/10
PrOxAntoApr 7, 2019 8:43 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Should I stop at this point?

ILovePenguins - Jan 10

29 by samsince04 »»
Jan 13, 5:53 AM

» What Would You Do If You Were in Araragi's Situation?

removed-user - Jul 10, 2023

15 by mehrabophobic »»
Jan 3, 4:14 AM

Poll: » Let's all be honest here, Shinobu's 8 year old form is cute, but adult Kiss-shot goes hard

RaltsPokemon - Jan 1

13 by Otakusan69 »»
Jan 2, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Should Araragi have had monologue in the movie?

Gaesaekki - Apr 24, 2018

3 by waalex11 »»
Aug 8, 2023 2:35 PM

» The three Kizumonogatari movies are the GOAT'S ...

Krish_Pache - Sep 30, 2021

15 by waalex11 »»
Aug 8, 2023 2:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.