Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 30, 2017 7:54 AM
Dec 2009
What a heartbreaking episode. Rei voicing his stress and breaking down was really powerful. But I can't help with agree with him, I can't believe what a "sore loser" some of these adults are. Of course it's a serious sport and no one wants to lose. But losing is part of any sport and you have to be able to take that in stride. I'm sure Rei being so young makes the loss more bitter but still... don't blame your family's Christmas being ruined because you lost one of hundreds of matches you playing that year, it just seems childish.
Apr 4, 2017 2:39 PM

May 2012
Quite the dramatic episode :/ his step sister really is a brat... making him pretty much emotional unstable... well I do wonder what's next though!
Apr 15, 2017 7:08 PM

Jan 2015
Wow, Rei sure is Reilatable.

...good episode
Apr 16, 2017 8:27 AM

Apr 2015
Hmmm, basically a repeat of the last arc, felt they played it well better for the most part, great loneliness hollowness vibes, but the last scene was like really bad. Blaming Shaft here, that could have been a much better scene
May 30, 2017 2:40 PM

May 2016
Amazing episode truly beautiful, the way they expressed his feelings was a masterpiece.
May 31, 2017 3:15 AM
Apr 2017
Rei was 100 percent right. It's not his fault, it's Mr. Yasui's fault for beaing weak and for always running away.

Great episode!
Jun 2, 2017 4:34 AM
Aug 2014
So is every Rei Kyouka conversation going to be about her trying to make him feel bad about winning? Doesn't seem to be working at the moment thankfully.

Hoping Rei will break away from is abusive relationship with Kyouko soon; he recognizes it at least.

The sudden trip felt a bit weird though.
Oct 18, 2017 2:38 AM

Aug 2017
Sometimes I find this anime so boring but I still like it since the story has some deep meaning. This episode was so meaningful.

Now excited to watch next episode to see Hina chan and her family.
Nov 27, 2017 3:46 PM
Oct 2015
Lol wait so Asta's VA is totally wrong. İ agree with that too.

But it is not weird when MC of 3gatsu no lion fells out of nowhere when he is creepy af screaming middle of a park and nobody talks about that weird scene :D

aight
Dec 8, 2017 3:26 AM

May 2012
Yep i think all of this is pretty stupid and pointless, why should he care what they're going trough? does anyone care about him? should he feel bad just cuz they're pieces of shit??? course not whole premise on this things are all very stupid wish we could get more of the 3 sisters ...

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.
Jan 15, 2018 9:53 PM

Jun 2009
Lanz said:
Hmmm, basically a repeat of the last arc, felt they played it well better for the most part, great loneliness hollowness vibes, but the last scene was like really bad. Blaming Shaft here, that could have been a much better scene

Besides the idea of Rei having to "put down" an older player it was nothing like the last episode.

Anyway, Rei falling down aside that last scene was fantastic. There have been times where I would be frustrated about something and have the urge to just run like a mad man and scream at the top of my lungs. I didn't actually do that though because, shit that would be embarrassing. But I can definitely relate to the feeling.

It's an interesting idea that he has to hurt these people, in order to progress. All great people have to do this in one way or another, at least when it comes to anything involving competition. The Vikings had to shatter the Saints dreams, the Cubs had to shatter another teams World Series hopes, etc. That's how it works, you have to have a degree of selfishness to literally ruin things for another person. Now maybe some people it doesn't hurt as much, but for Rei it's a constant struggle. This is interesting stuff.

Also, though I kind of doubt it's intentional, Kyouko's chiding of him and telling him about his opponents is actually kind of helping him grow, no? I mean, she's making him think about things he may not have otherwise, or at least as much. I think understanding why your opponents also want to succeed and still doing your all to beat them is for the best. So....thanks Kyouko?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 28, 2018 12:39 PM

May 2017
best episode so far, powerful ending.. all thoughts and emotions finally bursted out.
Mar 16, 2018 4:04 PM
Jan 2017
i loved the ending!
May 9, 2018 10:09 PM

Apr 2017
It's amazing to see Rei's ties with his opponents and what he wants to do with his life.
May 26, 2018 12:31 PM

Mar 2018
I would love to know why Kyouko is such a viper but I am sure it will become clearer in later episodes. Powerful episode and the breakdown at the end was quite something but understandable.
Oct 19, 2018 7:57 PM

Jun 2011
Why did Rei fall down during his screaming fit? Did he trip?
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Dec 10, 2018 8:36 PM

Nov 2013
I never relate to a character this much as to Rei Kiriyama..
I know how it feels to have nothing but one skill to immerse to, and I know how a lion inside me sometimes look down on other people for their inability on something I'm confident at..
I'm grateful to watch this anime..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Dec 23, 2018 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
6/5 episode.

Kind of afraid that this will be the peak point and the show will run out of steam for the rest of the episodes.
Jan 1, 2019 4:13 PM

Jun 2015
rei's breakdown, damn. i could really feel that. i can really relate to rei.
Feb 7, 2019 2:26 AM
Jan 2016
Kyouko is so beautful and so cute in some moments(like when she sneezes or when she finds Rei's mattress). Too bad she's also dysfunctional and abusive. Still can't really pinpoint her motivations, but it feels like she's lonely and desperate for his acknowledgment while hating him with all her being. Rei finally expresses his feelings about his opponents. I wonder if he means Kyouko and Ayumu too, or if he still blames himself in their case.
Feb 9, 2019 9:52 AM
Apr 2018
The dialogue between Rei and Kyouko was amazing! She's such an evil, manipulative person. Rei gets sp troubled by this, it's like he is love with her. His head must be a mess.

The scat song is so annoying. I'd rather read a Wikipedia article about shogi.
Mar 22, 2019 6:50 AM

Feb 2013
Drinking to forget everything is something only a weak person would do, it's a pity he ruined his family like that.
Apr 25, 2019 7:28 PM
Jul 2015
I'm watching, and in the dub Rei screams with a clear asian accent. It was kind of weird, but i guess the actor couldn't help it.
May 22, 2019 8:46 PM
Dec 2017
Doesn't Rei know his foster sister is only trying to psych him out. Also it seems like Rei might have a thing for Kyouko. In stories like these the MC always have a romantic interest. I still trying find out which one of girls it's supposed to be.
May 27, 2019 8:31 PM

Sep 2017
I think I have said it in the past that it is rare for an episode of anything to leave me completely speechless, but this episode accomplished that and so much more. On every aspect imaginable this episode was a complete and utter masterpiece. The direction, soundtrack (I LOVED the use of silence in this episode), animation, literally everything was a complete work of art. It's episodes like this that make me love anime so much. They push the medium forward. Phenomenal stuff.
Aug 3, 2019 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
This episode spoke to me in many ways. The pure desperation Rei feels for survival, the fact that his entire life hinges on shogi battles, and how he can’t escape that; it all made me incredibly sad. I can’t help but sympathise with this character. :(
Sep 29, 2019 9:41 PM

Sep 2018
Why she always appears???? Okayyyy need to skip againnnn. Can he just cut all his ties to that girl????? It irritates me whenever I saw her!! Very annoying!! She's very spoiled! Want to get what she wants, wanted all the attention! Very hatable character!!!

I'm happy Rei win it!!! He's not involved if that guy is violent, he should not care about that and play shogi based on skills not based on pity!

I hate a show that they oppressed MC the most! I hate it!!!!! I hate the girl who said something to him that want him to lose the game because he should pity the daughter of that guy! I hate that guy for being mad that he lose! Game is for fun!! Why too serious about it and get mad if lose???? I HATE THIS KIND OF DRAMA!! I HATE OPPRESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/5

I MUTE THE SOUND WHENEVER SHE SPEAK AND COVER HER FACE BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TOO SEE HER AND HEAR HER VOICE!!!
Oct 3, 2019 1:19 AM

Jul 2015
And she appeared again, trying to give Rei a guilty feeling
At least he voiced his feelings at the end, that guy should definitely take some anger management lessons it's not Rei's fault he is divorcing from his wife and seeing his kid one last Christmas

Jan 25, 2020 12:19 AM

Oct 2017
It was a pretty intense and significative episode, sublime. I was feeling exactly the same what's Rei screamed.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Jan 30, 2020 5:24 PM

Nov 2017
Shit just got real.

'I have a competitive beast inside me, I have no time for weak players, it lunges out and snatches anybody that gets in the way of my survival! Stop turning to alcohol to compensate for your weakness!'

I get it, kid. Adults are frustrating as hell. They should man up, clean up and change their ways. But you can't teach an old dog new tricks, is basically the theme of the last few episodes.

This guy's getting divorced and honestly it feels like he's in denial that he might deserve it.

Also falling on your jaw would hurt like shit. You should probably go to the hospital if that happens.

Man, he was so frustrated. The guy was an elder so he felt like there was nothing he could say. But I swear it's that same British fear of embarrassment. Just feel like you can't say anything because you must save face and be polite.

He just feels like he can't express himself to anybody. That must be frustrating. High school, man. Luckily, if you tack on another ten years, you honestly start to not give a fuck anymore and just express yourself openly. Fear of authority is a mindfucker.

That was quite a splendid moment, I must say. It caught me offguard because I was paused mid-episode and it just--went to that.

That's right, shout in a park, fuck those stupid adults! Change your lives, I can't do it for you, I'm just a kid! Like damn.
May 23, 2020 2:33 PM

Jun 2013
I'm really glad we got some real insight into Rei's view on his Shogi games at the end there. It feels like the first time we've actually seen how he really feels about winning or losing, outside of Kyouko trying to guilt trip him or whatever.

Probably the best episode plot-wise for me, so far
Aug 1, 2020 11:34 PM

Dec 2013
Dayum Kyouko, making it Rei's fault if his opponents will lose. Rei shouldn't listen to her. He's in a battle, there will be really losers in a battle.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 26, 2020 10:52 PM
Oct 2019
My interest continues to wane. Crap. What is happening? This was a great blend of emotions through 6 or 7 episodes. It's been a drag ever since. Boring, monotonous, uneventful.

Idk if the show is doing this on purpose, as part of a bigger psychological/psychiatric metaphor, but it's just not doing it for me anymore.

Down to a 6/10 now. Hard to imagine this trend will turn itself around at this point, unfortunately.

Hypothesis: When the episode is all about Kiriyama, whom I don't care for one way or the other, and none of the many more interesting and likeable characters are involved, I start to dislike this show. And it's been several episodes now of unlikeable characters. Woof.
HagePotPotatoAug 26, 2020 10:59 PM
Sep 4, 2020 4:35 AM

Jul 2020
Rei letting out his frustration was such a powerful scene. And he’s got a point, it’s not his fault that those players lost against him, they should try harder.

Kyouko is such a bitch, all those provocations she told Rei just to make him feel guilty is not fair at all. I hope Rei can get over this and not let Kyouko’s words affect him anymore.
Sep 13, 2020 12:53 PM

May 2018
big f to Rei. He is one unlucky person all right.

How the hell did Kyouko-san know about all the shogi players lol, is she secretly stalking them all or something xD
Jan 25, 2021 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode, Rei is directly affecting people through his livelihood. Loving the direction this is going.
Feb 6, 2021 1:01 AM
Apr 2016
Rewatch here:

Rei's breakdown at the end was straight up breathtaking, every second was akin to music to my ears. I, for one, take down my enemies in competitions with an arrogant smirk while apathetically stomping their exasperated faces; fills my heart with joy, it thrills me beyond words.
Mar 1, 2021 11:43 AM

May 2020
Well.... Rei didn't wrong. Its competition everyone can win or lose depends on skill. Drunk and abused guy is I hate the most. They didn't deserved place in this world.
Mar 27, 2021 10:52 AM

Aug 2018
Eh?.. Why Kyouko really out of all ways to hurt person - makes Rei think about throwing?.. There are better ways.. It's just not smart, what she does.. Unless she tries to help him get on the winning side instead, by making these small pushes to overcome.. Some kind of anti motivation, which works like motivation in the end.. But I wouldn't think so?.. I have no idea, though.. Why she really talks with Rei - no idea..
It's lame, because if the only way to feed this disfunctional family - is to lose.. This family won't last.. This is not right way to fix things at all.. These doubts, or I don't even know, how to call these thoughts that Kyouko is trying to put - it's just lame.. There are better ways to hurt people, if that's her goal - to hurt Rei.. I have no idea.. But I'll stop.. I wrote enough on the matter.. Just it feels a bit lame and empty drama in this case..
It's like - person will be violent in his family, if you'll give him drugs.. So go ahead - give him drugs.. It's so obvious, after all.. No, it's not, it's just stupid to give drugs for such case..
Counting care received on Christmas?.. Is this some Japanese thingy or something?..
Eh.. This drama is either very Japanese.. Or just lame.. Because throwing is very bad.. It also can destroy many lives.. It's too obvious of a fact.. Seriously, can we stop with this lame drama?.. Can we actually get better content, as it was before Kyouko's arrival?.. And I don't dislike, Kyouko, really - I have no idea about her intentions for now.. Just that drama around throwing feels empty..
Jul 13, 2021 8:39 AM

Jun 2020
When Rei screamed that shogi was all he had, that was so empowering for him yet so sad at the same time. That scene was so goodಥ﹏ಥ

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Sep 7, 2021 11:13 AM
Mar 2021
my favorite episode so far
Oct 21, 2021 11:17 AM

Sep 2016
Kyoko is such a bitter bitch. She purposefully tells Rei about stuff that doesn't matter and that he shouldn't know, and all of that just because she knows he'll suffer with his own thoughts about winning or losing and causing pain to others. But it's okay, Rei, deep in your heart you'll know that you're not responsible for other people's action. What others choose to do when lose, and pain they cause their families, it's on them, not you!
Oct 21, 2021 11:23 AM

Sep 2016
Gendolfas said:
Eh?.. Why Kyouko really out of all ways to hurt person - makes Rei think about throwing?.. There are better ways.. It's just not smart, what she does.. Unless she tries to help him get on the winning side instead, by making these small pushes to overcome.. Some kind of anti motivation, which works like motivation in the end.. But I wouldn't think so?.. I have no idea, though.. Why she really talks with Rei - no idea..

It actually does make perfect sense. She talks to him because she knows that shogi is all he has and can't afford to lose. She tells him what might happen if he wins a certain match, and how, in this case, the dysfunctional father will drown himself in alcohol whenever he loses. She incites how his daugher would love for him to be home after the match, which probably won't happen in case he loses, which she KNOWS will most likely happen. So what's her point? Make him suffer with the thoughts of "it's all my fault", "would it be better if I lost?", "but I can't afford to lose", "why do I need to live with this?". She's making Rei torture himself, that's her goal.

As for her motivation to do so? From everything we seen so far, she considers Rei an intruder upon her family, one whom her father seemed to show more love, care, and attention than herself, which is noticeable from the christmas presents (that her father considers him more a member of the family than the other two, just by how well he plays shogi). The father is the one completely at fault here, but of course it's easier to take it all out on Rei.
OgaZoSoOct 21, 2021 11:26 AM
Dec 18, 2021 5:42 AM

Jan 2021
Holy shit, what an episode. Loved every second of it. That breakdown at the end. (︺︹︺)

Best episode, so far!
Dec 19, 2021 8:48 PM

Feb 2021
No cap this episode is unironically a masterpiece
Dec 28, 2021 12:37 AM

Mar 2012
Just as I was thinking "how is that Rei's fault?" after Yasui takes his anger out on him, Rei literally shouts out that line. Feeling bad because it got to Rei even if that should not matter to him :( What is even Kyouko doing with the background check on his opponents. Very nasty
Dec 31, 2021 1:06 PM
Nov 2020
That final rant Rei has will always give me chills. The music and voice acting compliment each other perfectly and it tells you that shogi is more than just a game to Rei, but it's also emotional security and stability.
Feb 5, 2022 9:18 PM

Jul 2017
Just wanted to post here about how Kengo Kamanishi killed it with voice acting Rei's rant at the end there and how Rei was so frustrated and angry that his voice was strained and choked up rather than just venting clearly. Rei was holding a fuck ton in after Kyouko was trying to manipulate and fuck with him by making Rei seem like the 'bad guy' for winning for his sake while others who compete against him like his last two opponents were going through rough times all for her satisfaction after her history with Rei that's gone long back. I didn't care much for Yasui himself or the match but the writing for Rei was pretty solid here and the venting felt genuine, although the dialogue at times does feel a little too scripted and 'anime' per say. The performance made up for that though.
Feb 23, 2022 5:09 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
damn. that's all i got to say

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 13, 2022 9:00 PM

May 2021
Rei's venting here reminded me of From Zero where Subaru vented as well. The performance was amazing.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 6:10 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 6:06 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.