Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2016 1:45 PM

Mar 2016
As long as I've joined MAL, I've always wondered "How can people watch that much Anime? How do they have so much time?" and recently I've seen a rather extreme guy (unfortunately I don't remember the username), that watched about 30-50 eps per day and thought "Does he do anything else on his days?".

And then I thought, that maybe the reason why so many people have time to even binge whole Anime on a single day is, that they don't have any other hobbies. This may sound rather rude and offensive, but it's really not, I'm just curious here. Since I myself do other things like meeting up with friends, play/watch football (soccer) or watch regular movies/ tv shows too, this limits the amount of time I got on my hands to watch Anime. And ofc there is also school for me, but I guess everyone has that sort of thing in their life.

So I'm really curious here, is Anime your only hobby or are there other things too ? And if there are, how do you have that much time to watch Anime (IF you watch a lot)?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 16, 2016 1:49 PM

Jan 2013
I can't even consider it a hobby anymore; I barely watch it lately
Dec 16, 2016 1:53 PM

Feb 2010
According to MALGraph I've watched an average of about 4 hours a day of anime for the last 7 years or so. I spend the rest of my time with different things. Uni, traveling, hanging with friends, watching movies and TV shows (~200 days watched of western tv shows), the MAL forums and recently playing Overwatch and Smash 4. I never used to play any computer games but since I started I do watch a lot less anime per week. The 4 hours/day are just an average taken form the past 7 years after all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 16, 2016 1:56 PM

Feb 2015
Well living inside my head for almost everyday ain't that bad once you get use to it.
Dec 16, 2016 1:58 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I play computer games quite a bit, lately a lot of Nobunaga's Ambition and a lot of Grand Strategy games in general, and I like pre-renaissance-post-Roman Empire world history quite a bit. As of now I probably watch anime more than I do either of those, but I've only been into it for a year or so now so eh.

As for worthwhile or productive hobbies, none at all.

Jan 2009
anime is more than a hobby for me since i treat is as escapism

May 2014
My hobbies are Anime, Manga, Video Games, Pro Wrestling, Hiphop and Sneakers.
pretty all over the place imo
Dec 16, 2016 2:02 PM

Oct 2014
well there is also shitposting on mal forums if that counts
but anime is kind of my only real hobby
Dec 16, 2016 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
It's one of my smaller hobbies. I haven't been in much of an anime phase in like 1,5 yrs, barely watch anything atm.
Dec 16, 2016 2:07 PM

Jan 2011
Nope. I play video games and watch a good cartoons.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Dec 16, 2016 2:07 PM

Sep 2016
i love doing some ass wrestling in the middle swimming pool during my free time
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 16, 2016 2:09 PM

Nov 2016
My main hobby is watching anime but I also like to play video games, play guitar, play keyboard, learn Japanese, and read manga (although I barely have time for that). I also do voluntary work at Peace Hospice. I still manage to watch about 4 - 8 episodes of anime a day.
Dec 16, 2016 2:12 PM
Sep 2014
it's not a hobby. i don't have a hobby. i hate that word.
Dec 16, 2016 2:12 PM

Jan 2016
I watch quite a bit of anime if I do say so myself but I also spend a good amount of time gaming.

Dec 16, 2016 2:13 PM

May 2015
It's more like my second job. I mean I also play games and read manga, but anime is what consumes most of my free time for the most part. And since I work the second shift (12 P.M - 8 P.M.), I don't really have time to do anything else.
Dec 16, 2016 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
Anime is my main area of interest, but I also do other things... I have classes five days a week, I watch movies sometimes, I am into pro gaming, even though I could be more focused on it than I am. I also am an artist, so drawing is something I do a lot, but somehow, everything goes back to anime. But it's not my only activity. It's just the main one.
Dec 16, 2016 2:19 PM

Oct 2013
Not really. I watch a couple of hours per week. This season I watch about 6 shows so no more than three hours each on Thursday and Saturday.

My other hobbies are reading (a mix of fiction and non-fiction), travel, hiking, miniature wargaming (and the sub-hobbies involved with that.)
Dec 16, 2016 2:43 PM

Jul 2014
Yes, I gave up on western media a long time ago. Call me a weeb.
Dec 16, 2016 2:45 PM

Dec 2015
Of course I have other hobbies, I also read books (when I find something good) and also like to read manga.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 16, 2016 2:52 PM

Oct 2015
Pretty much, i do play video games and exercise sometimes tho
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Dec 16, 2016 3:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
well i built up my completions over many many many years, and its more from increasing how much i watch a season than it is marathoning shows, although i have increased how much i marathon anime

@Pullman, i forgot you play smash4, i think i told you im part of the competitive scene, as i've been since the beginning of brawl, which is obviously another big hobby of mine

i work 5 days a week, draw a fuck ton, and like i said above, am part of the competitive smash 4 scene, and go to anime conventions... idk if that counts lol

what surprises me are the people who got into anime only like 3-4 years ago and already have like 700 completions.. what the actual fuck lol? ain't no way thats good for your body

its not about what you're doing, its about what you're obviously not doing
Dec 16, 2016 3:07 PM

May 2010
Eh besides yoga and gaming yeah I guess
Dec 16, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2016
No, I have other hobbies. Sometimes I put anime on for some background noise while I do other things. I like to cook, play games and just began to collect manga. I also like to walk around, get some fresh air and clear my mind.
Dec 16, 2016 4:21 PM

Dec 2012
No, I also go to the theater a lot to see films, read novels, light novels, manga and am a fan of science fiction, several rock/heavy metal bands and of course internet forums. I also play the occasional video game and watch a few domestic TV shows.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 16, 2016 4:59 PM

Aug 2015
Nope.. i do have watched One Piece in an extreme speed lately (at about 15-40 episodes) in one day because it's after exam time so no school work. But anime still not my only hobby, i draw when my mood is right and i also play games on my mobile, and both are my other hobbies.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Dec 16, 2016 5:08 PM

Feb 2016
0bilivion said:
it's not a hobby. i don't have a hobby. i hate that word.

lol

Anime is my favorite hobby out of all my favorite hobbies, not even counting non-favorite hobbies.
My hobby is stealing other peoples hobbies(also stole that one)

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 16, 2016 5:14 PM

Jan 2016
Inb4 special snowflakes saying they barely watch anime anymore.Anime is fuckn lit,I watch it whenever I have time,I still do 3 hours of physical activity everyday but other then that yea anime and manga is pretty much my only hobby.
Dec 16, 2016 5:19 PM

Sep 2014
A lot of people who sometimes watch a lot of episodes everyday sometimes watch it in 2x or 3x speed, at least that's what someone told me how they manage to watch their anime.
Dec 16, 2016 5:45 PM

Jun 2015
Nope, my main hobby is eating (or restaurant hunting to be exact)
Dec 16, 2016 11:51 PM

Nov 2016
Elegade said:
A lot of people who sometimes watch a lot of episodes everyday sometimes watch it in 2x or 3x speed, at least that's what someone told me how they manage to watch their anime.

How is that possible!? Either they're watching dubbed or they are extremely fast readers.
Dec 17, 2016 12:10 AM
Jul 2018
Anime is not my biggest hobby. I rarely watch anime nowadays. Burnout and stuff, after 7 years of watching anime it's hard to find one that interests me. So I would say right now my biggest hobby are video games, especially bullet hell shmups.
Dec 17, 2016 12:35 AM

May 2015
If I remove my other hobbies - writing, music - I could probably watch another 4 episodes a day.

But then I wouldn't develop big theories on anime, and it would be less fun.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 17, 2016 12:41 AM

Jul 2014
In the last years I spent more time watching anime (reading manga now, actually) than the rest, but I still manage to go out with friends, listen to music, play videogames, watch movies and tv series and spend time with my gf, all while staying out of home for work roughly 11 hours per day (including breaks and the travelling time), and I still managed to rack up 222 days of anime.

So, no, you're wrong OP.
Dec 17, 2016 12:42 AM

Jun 2016
It's definitely one of my most time consuming hobbies and borderline obsessions; but I do have others, manga, video games, trading card games, and occasionally cooking esp. desserts. (so more accurately baking. )

I also rotate between my hobbies on a whim; on some weeks I've been known to watch 30+ episodes per day, whilst on others I barely watch 5 in a week. Although on those weeks I'm still obsessing over it via online discussion, listening to reviews, listening to Openings/endings/osts/amvs etc.

I also work 2 jobs right now so I don't have as much time as I used to, but honestly it's mostly my other hobbies that suffer; I still manage to watch a reasonable amount of anime despite this.

Dec 17, 2016 12:42 AM

Jul 2013
I read manga a lot more than watching anime. Anime is barely a hobby of mine.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Dec 17, 2016 1:21 AM

Aug 2009
Nah, anime is just the one that I've spent the most time on so far.

I also do weightlifting, boxing, cooking, drawing, reading (sometimes manga) and western T.V and movies.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Dec 17, 2016 1:24 AM

Aug 2016
Pretty much yes although i do enjoy playing sports with friends

Set by SenpieX
Dec 17, 2016 1:28 AM

Nov 2015
nah, I spend mostly my time in video games lately..I also read manga, watch seiyuu shows/events, jdrama and jpop idol related stuffs
Dec 17, 2016 2:03 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
No and I don't spend that much time watching anime lately. Around 12-15 weekly is my max and most of I watch during weekends.
Dec 17, 2016 2:08 AM

Jan 2015
no it's not, i love to draw too .. this is my instagram account : iyousiff
Dec 17, 2016 2:12 AM

Jan 2015
More in term like "watching" though

la critique de l'intention pure
Dec 17, 2016 2:14 AM

Aug 2016
Eh, not really. I also draw and read and eat and sleep.
So yeah...
Dec 17, 2016 2:22 AM

Aug 2015
Nope, not at all. Well, I'm a student that's a given. I don't really meet up with my friends during my day offs but we still chat. There's also a girl that I lik and she takes up a bit of my time I'm an aspiring novelist and I am working hard towards that goal (is this considered as a hobby then? idk), let's see what else, games, youtube, I also watch some western movies sometimes, and well, that's about it... Oh, sometimes I photoshop stuff and color manga, and and MAL since I am here right now lol. Almost forgot, there's also manga ofc

Depending on what you consider to be a hobby though then anime/manga could be my only real hobbies

Edit: Oh and I forgot some stuff

My list aint up to date since I only add stuff after I finish them... I actually just remembered lol, I forgot to add some anime that have recently ended, gonna add those later... maybe after I take a nap. I'm up to date with the season btw. It's just too much of a hassle to update your list every time, wouldn't you agree?
KurosoraRyugaDec 17, 2016 2:28 AM
Dec 17, 2016 2:24 AM

Aug 2015
Pixel_Vapour said:
Elegade said:

How is that possible!? Either they're watching dubbed or they are extremely fast readers.

Meh, I know some people who claim to watch anime on 6 tabs. Beat that lol, I sure can't, and even if I can, I won't since that would take out a lot of the fun in anime. Watching in fast forward can be funny at times though
Dec 17, 2016 2:57 AM

Jan 2009
Nah I have other hobbies aside from anime.
Reading, gaming, fishing(not during winter) and I go to a gym 2-3 times a week

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dec 17, 2016 2:58 AM

Nov 2016
KurosoraRyuga said:
Pixel_Vapour said:

Meh, I know some people who claim to watch anime on 6 tabs. Beat that lol, I sure can't, and even if I can, I won't since that would take out a lot of the fun in anime. Watching in fast forward can be funny at times though

Yeah I personally wouldn't. I'm currently watching FMA and I'm perfectly content watching one episode at a time and at normal speed.
Dec 17, 2016 3:01 AM

Mar 2016
No.. I have other activities besides watching anime like reading a book,watching TV,doing chores sometimes and sleep
Forum set made by Sereshay

Dec 17, 2016 3:02 AM

Apr 2011
Oh, no — absolutely not. I enjoy fictional, biblical and historical reading, poetry, music, videogames, television series and film. I believe among those options, animation comes in the last place.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Dec 17, 2016 3:09 AM

Aug 2016
No, far from it. But it is becoming more of a main one then I first expected it would, it's pretty addicting
Dec 17, 2016 3:13 AM

Nov 2016
Not really, I have skating and contemporary dance as well. I used to have more time for anime in my youth and I got into it quite young so I was a bit obsessed with it but nowadays I rarely watch anything,
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

234 by FZREMAKE »»
3 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 51 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

18 by logopolis »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

31 by SgtBateMan »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.