Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 14, 2016 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really great to see Asuka back and taking her role again as part of the group. I think that got everyone's morale up more too.

This episode reminded a bit from one of the season's 1 episode (when Kumiko and Reina went for that night hike). That moment when she just yelled right out in the open was kinda epic. Again, Reina thinks about Taki and we see a bit more vulnerable side of herself. Interesting to see a bit more about her past as well including when she met Taki during childhood.

Stark700Dec 14, 2016 7:16 AM
Dec 14, 2016 7:30 AM

Nov 2007
I simply cannot ignore Reina's affection for Taki-sensei anymore. Not after this episode. It felt like my heart was torn apart when she asked about what kind of person Taki-sensei's wife was. And then her acknowledgment that Taki-sensei must be in love with his wife.

The entire episode put Reina's entire feelings to a new perspective. It seems like she is doing everything for Taki-sensei. I know a lot of fans will be disappointed by this episode for obvious reasons but I want to say that I am not one of those, not when I have realized the intensity of her love for him.

Got get the Gold for Taki-sensei, Reina! I am rooting for you!

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 14, 2016 8:00 AM

Sep 2013
They went to the grave? So weird.
Is Reina still an autist? I thought shes normal now.
Dec 14, 2016 8:21 AM

Apr 2010
So Reina seemed to have settled her feelings in a way the question that remains is what will she do now.
Seeing she even went as for as to visit the grave of Taki sensei wife.
Things might develop in a interesting way.
Dec 14, 2016 9:32 AM

Sep 2010
Reina found out about Taki-sensei's wife and we see how she met Taki-sensei when she was younger.

It's interesting to see the parallels between Episode 8 of the first season and Episode 11 this season. Kumiko and Reina met at the same place, but their emotional states were completely different.
DaisukiDec 14, 2016 9:36 AM

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Dec 14, 2016 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
Man Reina is a savage for throwing Kumiko under the bus after Taki asked her if Kumiko told her about his wife. Kind of a Meh episode but it was still okay.

Erika___ said:

Yeah I thought the same thing...like you love this woman's husband...what?
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 14, 2016 10:32 AM

Jul 2012
Nothing unexpected and crazy, pretty much episode of Reina. The animation as beatiful as always, and this time some sceneries looked very good.
Again want to say that this season Yuuko got so many positive points and even Reina acknowledged that.
Dec 14, 2016 10:40 AM

Mar 2015
I hope if Renia as her feelings settles for Taki-sensei that her and kumiko would make a nice couple :3
Dec 14, 2016 10:40 AM

Jul 2015
This episode is on its level itself, it's a little different from usual
Reina puts all her feelings in this episode
this episode is calm yet a bit sad, little Reina is adorable but didn't have friends

And in my opinion, when they went to the graves, I found it was not weird at all. It's like Reina want to thank Taki sensei's wife. If you remember from ReLIFE, Arata's juniors in his former workplace come to visit Arata's senpai grave to pray and thank her.

Ah damn, i don't know what to say and RIP my english
Btw 5/5 for this eps.
Dec 14, 2016 10:50 AM

Oct 2012
Omg young Reina was cute af
More drama now, I was thinking the entire time about how Reina could've possibly figured out that Kumiko knew about Taki-Sensei's wife and then they showed Hashimoto-sensei and I was like "oh yeah... he exists"
KyoAni continuing with their criminally non-canon Yuri bait, it hurts to watch sometimes T^T
Glad that Reina's anger was settled quickly, I was relieved that they didn't drag on this part and just got it done in one ep.
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Dec 14, 2016 10:53 AM

Aug 2015
Great episode.
Eventually they reconciled quickly, phew!
I was very curious to know why Reina is in love with Taki-sensei. Hopefully she declares to him later in the series: it would be a beautiful couple very atypical.
And the conclusion of this episode was magnificent with the sound of Reina's trumpet.

5/5 as usual.
Dec 14, 2016 11:28 AM

Oct 2014
Not done watching, but was Shu always in this part of the intro? I swear it was just Mamiko and Kumiko here :/

Dec 14, 2016 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
Another 5/5 episode.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 14, 2016 11:43 AM

Sep 2014
Definitely an underwhelming episode compared to the last few, not that it was bad by any means. I'm very glad the show isn't spending more than one episode on Reina's drama, and it was actually handled in a more subdued and graceful manner than I expected (not sure why I ever doubted Euphonium). As always, it comes back to the recurrent thematic thread of passion and motivation. Reina idolized Taki-sensei, but of course with her being who she is that passion took one step further and she developed a crush on him. She isn't an idiot though, she always knew he was out of reach "I was always thinking. Why wasn't I born earlier?". However there is one way she could try to catch up, with her music.

johnxfire said:
Not done watching, but was Shu always in this part of the intro? I swear it was just Mamiko and Kumiko here :/

Nope, it was always like that.
Dec 14, 2016 11:51 AM
Nov 2016
johnxfire said:

They threw Shu out during the flashback scene on EP 8

Dec 14, 2016 11:54 AM

Sep 2014
Milxy said:
johnxfire said:

Oh damn, didn't notice that.
Dec 14, 2016 12:10 PM

Jun 2012
Neromon said:
Milxy said:

Oh damn, didn't notice that.

It might be just different day, Kumiko clothes are different, and she is the one who hold euphonium, instead of Mamiko.
Dec 14, 2016 12:19 PM
Nov 2015
Kid Reina with her red headband looked like a mini Homura oh my god
Dec 14, 2016 12:40 PM

Feb 2016
Surprise, I haven't seen (yet) the Asuka hater here, its a miracle :0

this episode has some special Remiko momments, (at first i thought that Reina was Jealous until i remembered that she saw that photo of Taki with his Wife)

btw im the only one who thinks that this anime would have a third season for the nationals? i don't see this show getting into nationals in 2 more episodes to be honest (that would be a big timeskip imo) i dont really know lol

and it felt good that Tsukamoto didn't appear at all in this episode... lol
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Dec 14, 2016 12:46 PM

Sep 2011
shanimebib said:
I simply cannot ignore Reina's affection for Taki-sensei anymore. Not after this episode. It felt like my heart was torn apart when she asked about what kind of person Taki-sensei's wife was. And then her acknowledgment that Taki-sensei must be in love with his wife.

The entire episode put Reina's entire feelings to a new perspective. It seems like she is doing everything for Taki-sensei. I know a lot of fans will be disappointed by this episode for obvious reasons but I want to say that I am not one of those, not when I have realized the intensity of her love for him.

It still doesn't change the fact that he is her teacher and that her love will always be unrequited. Taki-sensei only sees her as one of his students as he should.

Just think about it rationally for a moment. For a Reina x Taki relationship to happen
1. Reina has to go through 2 more years of school
2. They couldn't start a relationship straight after she leaves school as that would lead to suggestions of inappropriate behavior by Taki, so another 3/4 more years wait while she goes to university.

The only real way for a Reina x Taki relationship to happen is for Reina to sweep him off his feet so much that he quits being a teacher, which would be soooo out of character for Taki-sensei that it's not funny. Reina simply has to deal with the fact that her love will always be unrequited.

Does that mean I think that Reina x Kumiko will happen?? No. I actually think that of the two Reina is straight. I do think that Kumiko is bi leaning more to gay and may well be in love with Reina.
Dec 14, 2016 1:03 PM

Jan 2012
Reina drama as expected, finally learning of Taki-sensei's dead wife. I lol'ed pretty damn hard at Kumiko basically saying "Oh, don't worry she's dead, go after him!" XD Yeah, self-awareness didn't really soften the blow to that one. But whatever, visiting her grave makes it ok! XD
Dec 14, 2016 1:14 PM

May 2016
Was this season compiled out of short stories? It is amazing, how little focus there is on anything at all.

As hyped as I was, I kind of wish Hibike! never got a second season, all it does is demolish my good memories of the first one at this point.
Dec 14, 2016 1:18 PM

Sep 2016
someone needs to kill tsukamoto before next week
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 14, 2016 1:19 PM

Dec 2014
I didn't like the start of this second season that much but these last few episodes have just been killing it! Also little Reina with her tiny yellow hat, my god that was adorable. I'm very much looking forward to these last couple of episodes.
Dec 14, 2016 1:46 PM

May 2015
IT was fun as always. Thank god this whole Asuka-drama is over.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 14, 2016 2:13 PM

Feb 2014
I'm happy that Asuka is now back in the club and is doing her best to get herself back in top form as the nationals are getting closer and closer.

Still though, the drama doesn't stop as Reina was the main focus this time around. She now knows about Taki's wife and how she's not alive anymore. I can't really blame Kumiko for not telling her when she first knew about it, but it would've hurt Reina regardless if she told her immediately or a while later.

Seeing her as a little kid was really adorable. That must've been when she first developed an interest in Taki. Speaking to him during her junior high years must've made those feelings for him stronger. So seeing both Kumiko and Reina at Taki's Wife's grave to pay their respects was nice. In a way, Taki is the advisory teacher to the band, something his late wife wanted to do, but it would be the perfect tribute to her if they go on and win the nationals itself. Tough it will be, but I hope they can win it. =D
Dec 14, 2016 2:18 PM

Apr 2013
Not sure what to think of this episode in regards to reina.

It seemed like her realizing the obvious that her relationship is never going to happen not just because the age but the fact that taki is clearly not even close to moving on from the death of his wife and not ready for a new relationship anyway and that her crush developed out of a strong desire to impress him.
Then there is kumiko's narration at the end mentioning that reina never talked about it again which would point towards that she moved on.

So yey kumiko x reina?

Apparently a lot of this episode was anime original

Real talk though kumiko should have given reina a reality check this episode. Anything other than telling her this relationship is never going to happen at this point is just cruel
Dec 14, 2016 2:40 PM

Aug 2013
I think Reina's drama was handled quick and gracefully. I like it much more than Asuka's drama. Now let's just hope KyoAni doesn't fail us in the last 2 episodes.
Dec 14, 2016 3:50 PM

Nov 2007
I really hope this thing about Reina realizing Taki still loves his wife etc. means that she is willing to move on...and that we will see something good the last two episodes.
Dec 14, 2016 3:54 PM

Apr 2008
On one hand, Reina finally realized she never had a chance with Sensei. And she handled it rather well, in her stead I would've not talked to Kumiko for a while for not trusting me well enough to mention his dead wife. At least they avoided the yandere trope - good job at being decent I guess.

On the other hand, their ship had sunk so low it must be renamed Titanic at this point. I'd be surprised if it's going to be aknowledged at all. In fact, when Kumiko basically said "go after him, his wife is dead", it felt gross in an Usagi Drop kind of way - especially after Reina's flashback - and was a total non-seqiutur. I mean I get it, Kumiko is 15, but still felt out of place.
gomennasaiDec 14, 2016 3:57 PM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Dec 14, 2016 4:00 PM

Mar 2008
Welp there goes the Kumiko x Reina Ship ;_: I guess we all had to know it was gonna go eventually, it's pretty clear Reina only has her sights set on Taki-sensei and once she's legal there's nothing to really stop them.

Unusual but pleasant episode overall.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 14, 2016 4:36 PM
Feb 2014
It was obvious from the beginning that Reina and Kumiko are both straight. Only perverted otaku think any differently.
Dec 14, 2016 4:37 PM

Aug 2012
Kumiko gets ratted out by pretty much everyone as part of some karmic punishment for keeping secrets or something.

So yeah, this episode was paced a lot slower than the other episodes in season 2, and I didn't find it too interesting or noteworthy. I haven't been too invested in Reina's character aside from when she auditioned for the solo in the competition piece. The gravesite scene was a pretty nice touch, though. Despite the fact that this episode didn't really resonate with me, the episode was kind of necessary to wrap up the whole subplot around Taki's wife and Reina's one-sided crush. In other words, from a story perspective this episode was fine, but from an execution perspective it was pretty lackluster.
Dec 14, 2016 4:47 PM

Apr 2008
Hootja said:
It was obvious from the beginning that Reina and Kumiko are both straight. Only perverted otaku think any differently.

Or there might be the fact that not everyone from the audience is straight.

EDIT: Or the fact that bisexuals exist.
gomennasaiDec 14, 2016 4:55 PM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Dec 14, 2016 5:02 PM

Mar 2015
Was a nice ep, but I do agree with others about the sudden drama of different characters being brought up after one another, it feels kinda forced, especially for the characters that I don't really have any emotional investment in

Honestly mainly watching it for the art at this point
Dec 14, 2016 5:19 PM

Dec 2014
So the "yuriship" has sunk? Still though, its nice seeing more moments between Reina and Kumiko, especially since the former hasn't been appearing much this season.
Dec 14, 2016 5:25 PM

Oct 2012
This series is certainly at its best when focusing on such life-reflecting scenes with only few characters around rather than on high-school drama.
This episode sure had one great melancholic atmosphere and Reina felt so mature. Though the sudden flashback was bit unexpected I guess.

It only proves that Reina and Kumiko are still two most important plot elements of this show.
Dec 14, 2016 6:26 PM

May 2012
I was pretty disappointed in Kumiko when she tells Reina she's rooting for her. Really, Kumiko? You obviously know Reina's crush is unattainable. Why didn't you just make your usual non-committal grunt and leave it at that? It's possible Kumiko's decision was strategic, to help Reina remained focused on Nationals, or just an act of sympathy. Either way I thought Kumiko's reaction was pretty out-of-character for her.
Dec 14, 2016 6:26 PM

Aug 2015
So Reina's feelings existed way back then as well. I'm glad the drama was dealt with swiftly.
Dec 14, 2016 6:59 PM
Aug 2014
GangsterCat said:

I bet you said the same thing about Tusk in Cross Ange. Wow you have bad luck picking "yuri" shows, lol.
Dec 14, 2016 7:00 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Glad to see Asuka back in the band & focused.

Woah Reina screaming & letting it all out. Those background shots are stunning.

Nice of Reina to pay her respects to Taki's wife & aim to win Gold at Nationals.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 14, 2016 7:07 PM

Jun 2015
Well, for starters I definitely liked this episode. I'm glad Asuka finally wrapped up and I found the whole settling of Reina's feelings to be poignant (at first) and interesting. I still can't buy into her affection, however, which is where the show loses me. I like the idea that Taki's wife was trying to win gold and that Taki became an adviser for this reason. I also appreciate Reina's passionate intentions to win gold for that sake, I think that's great. But her one-minded affection for Taki-sensei still baffles me, and apart from this emotional (and rather convenient) situation the show has set up I don't find it appropriate.

Well, that's the only criticism I have though, the pacing is still really good and I still love all the characters, so I'm waiting with anticipation for the final two episodes!
Dec 14, 2016 7:14 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was incredibly touching. Taki-sensei reminiscing about his past with his wife, that hit hard, i feel so sad for him.

Reina took it very well and gracefully by visiting his wife's grave and giving her prayers.

Yuko with 30 seconds of spotlight and already stealing a bit of the show.

Also you guys need to get it by now that the ''ship'' never existed in the first place. The peak was reached long ago in episode 8 last season.
Dec 14, 2016 8:34 PM

Apr 2014
great ep as always and yeah the Kumiko x Reina died some time ago though i still tried to hold on to it but with everything that happened and especially this ep its completely dead

but tbh i have long gotten over it so all in all now i just wanna see how this series will end which it'll most likely just be like the LN ending

anyway 2 eps left cant wait
"one step at a time"
Dec 14, 2016 8:42 PM

Oct 2016
atleast we have a strong character development for reina here .. and cmon look how adorable reina was ..
Dec 14, 2016 9:58 PM

Sep 2013
Smudy said:
Also you guys need to get it by now that the ''ship'' never existed in the first place.

Please stop saying sad things.
Dec 14, 2016 10:25 PM

Sep 2012
I'm sorry but yuri bait is yuri bait. It won't go anywhere besides being bait.
Dec 14, 2016 11:50 PM
May 2016
SoraSenpai said:
Man Reina is a savage for throwing Kumiko under the bus after Taki asked her if Kumiko told her about his wife. Kind of a Meh episode but it was still okay.

Erika___ said:

Yeah I thought the same thing...like you love this woman's husband...what?

I think she's giving respect to Taki's wife
Dec 15, 2016 12:27 AM

Nov 2007
SeijiSensei said:
Either way I thought Kumiko's reaction was pretty out-of-character for her.

Do I need to put the whole thing into perspective that Kumiko has outgrown her personality through the incidents with her sister and Asuka?

"Do not leave any regrets" and "Don't give up until you have you've done everything you can". Do these ring any bell?

Erika___ said:

It is a part of Japanese people's tradition to visit the grave of the person they think had played important role in their lives. In Reina's case, Taki-sensei's (who is the most important person in her life) wife played an important role in his life so it's not weird at all, strictly from the point of view of the Japanese people's tradition.

scruffykiwi said:
shanimebib said:

It still doesn't change the fact that he is her teacher and that her love will always be unrequited. Taki-sensei only sees her as one of his students as he should.

Just think about it rationally for a moment. For a Reina x Taki relationship to happen
1. Reina has to go through 2 more years of school
2. They couldn't start a relationship straight after she leaves school as that would lead to suggestions of inappropriate behavior by Taki, so another 3/4 more years wait while she goes to university.

The only real way for a Reina x Taki relationship to happen is for Reina to sweep him off his feet so much that he quits being a teacher, which would be soooo out of character for Taki-sensei that it's not funny. Reina simply has to deal with the fact that her love will always be unrequited.

Why does it have to be soon? We are forgetting the fact that Reina chose to become his student by joining Kitauji when she was good enough for the renowned music schools that represent their respective prefectures every year in the Nationals. She chose a path that would make it difficult for her to become his special one. But even so, she did that just so that she could stay in touch with him. That is the intensity of her affection for him. I don't think it's entirely impossible for Reina to actually remain in love with Taki-sensei when she is in her 20s and actually go after him when she is much older.

From Taki-sensei's point of view, Reina is a talented girl with a lot of potential. And I honestly believe there is nothing more than that.

scruffykiwi said:
I do think that Kumiko is bi leaning more to gay and may well be in love with Reina.

No. I will make it clear for you. Kumiko is obsessed with attractive girls. But that doesn't make her what you think she is. Her obsession with pretty faces and the size of bosom (she even looked at Nozomi's chest, in case you have missed it) come from —

Off Topic:

dm106 said:
GangsterCat said:

I bet you said the same thing about Tusk in Cross Ange. Wow you have bad luck picking "yuri" shows, lol.

You can't take anyone seriously who thought Kumiko's voice actress did a terrible job in episode 10 when the whole internet heaped praise on how she did an extraordinary job. I thought Hayami Saori's Hatoko was amazing. But Kurosawa Tomoyo's Kumiko of episode 10 was breathtaking. I take nothing way from Saori as she did the whole part in one go, which was much longer and much more intense than Tomoyo's.

I showed the two clips (linked above) to one of my friends who isn't into anime but is a singer himself, who have actually learned singing through music school from a very young age, for his opinion and he said Tomoyo's was much more impressive even if it was shorter. He explained that Saori's rant was powerful but it had a more relaxed spectrum. Tomoyo's voice literally reverberated with sudden ups and downs from one word to the next which is an extremely difficult thing to pull off.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 15, 2016 3:03 AM

Dec 2014
Very nice episode, Personally, I loved how the drama was handled. It was short but resolved really well and it showcased Reina's personality and her feelings excellently.

Midori trying to figure out what was wrong with Reina was really cute.

The hike up the mountain was a little reminiscent of the first season and that Reina shout. XD I've actually wanted to shout like that once in my life. XD Maybe if I find myself atop a mountain with no one nearby, I'll do it. XD
I couldn't handle Reina tearing up after that, I'm glad she didn't breakdown completely into tears else I would have lost it too. I really liked how despite going through all this she was aware she needed to focus on the Nationals.

Kid Reina is adorable, I loved the scene where she peeked in and Taki smiled at her. <3 <3
Also really liked the part where Taki gave younger Reina that song to play.

Taki-sensei talking about his wife was really sad, though I suppose it was something Reina wanted to understand so she could sort out her feelings and also understand Taki-sensei's feelings towards his wife. The man really loved his wife. :(
The grave visiting was very touching, Very nice of Reina to pay her respects. It's also great to see that she wants to help Taki-sensei achieve his dream of getting gold.

I felt the entire incident displayed a certain maturity to Reina's character that I've always loved, Kumiko mentions this trait of Reina's way back in episode 2 as well.

Go Kitauji! Rooting for you all at the Nationals!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.