Forum Settings
Forums

Rewatching an anime when it gets a DUB? Do you?

New
Oct 26, 2016 1:40 PM
Mar 2016
Hey everyone,

i am used to watch anime in japanese because i am pretty impatient. But when I see that an Anime I enjoyed gets a dub i always ask myself, if I really wanna watch it. On the one hand, i enjoy most of the english voice actors and the mostly well translated or newly interpreted jokes. But on the other hand it can be really frustrating to see how your favorite character gets some changes to his expressions and reactions...

Anyone made similar experience? How do you usually decide?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 26, 2016 1:42 PM

Mar 2016
I don't watch anime dubbed unless I'm watching with my sister, ha.
Used to only watch anime dubbed, so I've seen around 20 or so, but then I got into subbed and haven't gone back.
YaoiMasterOct 26, 2016 2:17 PM
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 26, 2016 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
Nope, literally never in my 400+ completed titles.
If an anime has both I might try the dub and if it's good keep watching or switch to sub if it's not. But if I'm rewatching something, then it's usually in the language I saw it in first.

Death Note is probably the only one where I've seen sub first and dub on subsequent watches but that wasn't because the dub wasn't available at first so it doesn't count.
Oct 26, 2016 1:44 PM

Aug 2014
No, I don't like most English dubs + i don't usually rewatch. If i have the option to hear (and can endure) the original voice cast I will choose that, though. (though if there is a Dutch dub I will check it out, because Dutch voice actors are pretty good IMO)
Oct 26, 2016 1:48 PM
Feb 2016
I've only watched two anime dubbed: Great Teacher Onizuka and Garzey's Wing. I've not rewatched any anime as of yet, either, apart from shorts and Byousoku 5 Centimer.

Yes, I know that was a brilliant contribution to this topic, no need to thank me.
Oct 26, 2016 1:49 PM

Jan 2015
Overfoxed said:
Hey everyone,

i am used to watch anime in japanese because i am pretty impatient. But when I see that an Anime I enjoyed gets a dub i always ask myself, if I really wanna watch it. On the one hand, i enjoy most of the english voice actors and the mostly well translated or newly interpreted jokes. But on the other hand it can be really frustrating to see how your favorite character gets some changes to his expressions and reactions...

No, only if the eng dub is good like DBZ, Yugioh, Death Note etc. :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Oct 26, 2016 1:55 PM

Feb 2013
i don't, but it sounds to me like one of the better reasons to rewatch.. only works with newer series tho

but im not a seiyuufag, not too keen on rewatches, nor a native english speaker, so idc about dubs
Oct 26, 2016 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
Not a fan of dub anymore but I'm so happy Joker Game is getting one. Excited to hear how the characters will sound in english.
I'm currently in rewatching the anime so along with the dub version it's going to be my 2nd rewatch in a row.
Oct 26, 2016 2:11 PM

Jul 2008
If I liked the anime enough and don't mind watching it again then yes I will watch the dub. I also like watching what's been changed and how it's been changed. It's interesting!
Oct 26, 2016 2:13 PM
Nov 2013
I usually watch the first episode to see how it goes, but usually I almost always prefer sub anyway.
Oct 26, 2016 2:15 PM

Oct 2014
I have thought about rewatching Love Live dubbed, but honestly one of the things I love about it is the voices so the dub would kinda ruin it for me. There are also a couple anime I originally watched dubbed and I've tried to rewatch subbed, but so far it hasn't really worked out.
Oct 26, 2016 2:18 PM

Aug 2016
demonskul777 said:
No, I don't like most English dubs + i don't usually rewatch. If i have the option to hear (and can endure) the original voice cast I will choose that, though. (though if there is a Dutch dub I will check it out, because Dutch voice actors are pretty good IMO)
Jesus Christ, really? I would rather ram a screwdriver into my ear than rewatch an anime with a Dutch dub, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.
coenraedOct 26, 2016 2:25 PM
Oct 26, 2016 2:22 PM

May 2015
I will only watch the dubbed version of an anime if it is an anime that I really liked or I watched the dubbed version first. An example would be Persona 4: The Animation. Since I played the game with the English voices, I chose to watch the dub over the sub for consistency.

I've only watched one anime where I've seen both the dub and the sub: Slayers. The sub is great, but I prefer the the dub because it's how I first started watching it, and also for a certain incantation that sounds so much better in English...

I'm currently re-watching Cross Ange in the English dub as it is one of my favorite anime and the dub version was recently released. While they did change a few things that I preferred seeing in the subs, the dub does score some points over the sub in certain scenes (especially when it comes to the profanity :).
Oct 26, 2016 2:26 PM

Aug 2014
coenraed said:
demonskul777 said:
Jesus Christ, really? I would rather ram a screwdriver into my ear than rewatch an anime with a Dutch dub, but whatever floats you boat I suppose.

I'm not particullarly talking anime. I mean I'm mostly used to Belgian voice-actors though, so I'm not too sure about, well, Dutch Dutch I remember the standard kids anime being reasonably well subbed in the past (pokemon and all that shit), but that may be pure nostalgia.
I shouldn't have said Dutch voice-actors probably, but "Dutch-speaking voice actors" sounded bad. But like definitely compared to English anime voice-actors, I can't stand 80% of those guys.
Oct 26, 2016 2:34 PM

Mar 2016
I watch dub if it's available but I don't mind sub
Don't understand why you'd rewatch something just for the dub itself tho
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 26, 2016 2:35 PM

Jun 2015
Why, of course. Dubs are my preferred method of watching anime, so rewatching a dubbed anime I previously watched subbed creates a new experience. I'm currently doing this with Hunter x Hunter 2011. Though waiting weekly is a slog, so I choose to skip weeks in order to take a heavy dose afterward.
Oct 26, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
I don't rewatch anime in dubs... because very few anime are dubbed in Spain right now :/
I have rewatched Blood+ in Spanish some times because I liked a lot the dub here, however.
Oct 26, 2016 2:38 PM

Sep 2016
I just wanted to have patience to watch an anime twice, not too much to ask.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 26, 2016 2:42 PM
May 2015
Dropped 91 Days on the 9th episode and I'm now re-watching it in Dub xD

Yea, there are times where I'd rewatch an anime if it gets an English Dub. For example, next month I'm going to be rewatching Overlord in English Dub.

In some cases, if there's a dub or if said anime is going to get a dub then I watch the series in dub or I wait for the dub since I'm a busy person so waiting is fine for me. For example, I haven't watched Shinometa (However you fucking spell that series) yet and I'm going to be watching it in dub next month once it comes out.

Oct 26, 2016 2:53 PM

Dec 2012
I watch most things simulcasted as they air streaming in Japanese with English subs first. If I liked the show enough then I add it to my DVD/BD collection and for the rewatch I'd watch the dub if there was one, yeah.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 26, 2016 3:15 PM

May 2015
Sometimes. If it gets a dub I liked, I like the show enough to want to rewatch it, and it's been a long enough time.

Rewatched Kill la Kill and rewatching Kekkai Sensen right now in dubs(which I prefer now.) to their subs(which were already pretty good.)
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Oct 26, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah I do it all the time, it normally depends on things like, how attached I am to the original voices for the characters, how good I think the dub is and ultimately whether I feel I would enjoy the story more with the characters speaking in English or Japanese.

I haven't watched any anime dubbed then rewatched subbed yet though..
Oct 26, 2016 3:23 PM
Mar 2016
Tarotist said:

I'm currently re-watching Cross Ange in the English dub as it is one of my favorite anime and the dub version was recently released. While they did change a few things that I preferred seeing in the subs, the dub does score some points over the sub in certain scenes (especially when it comes to the profanity :).

Hell Yeah! Why didnt I know Cross Ange got a dub?! Its also one of my favorites, but I also especially liked Anges voice, so I wonder if the english version will come up to my expectations. Anyways, thanks for letting me know!
Oct 26, 2016 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
Dub?? Hell no!! Subs only mate!

OT: Quite a few shows get dubbed in my country. But even if there were more, i rarely rewatch anything so probably not.
Oct 26, 2016 3:31 PM

Jan 2016
Well it depends on the anime. Like I watched 91 days subbed, but i'm definitely going to watch the dub. Italians in America speaking Japanese doesn't make much sense, does it now?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2016 3:34 PM

Oct 2016
The only dub I've ever watched was detective conan chinese dub lol. And random dubbed anime on cartoon network. I don't understand why people don't watch subbed, the voice actors are actually just legitimately so much better at their job. They reuse the same dubbed voice actors for like every anime and none of them have any skill - they sound exactly the same regardless of which character they're playing. Not to mention they just kill any emotional scenes.
IngridOct 26, 2016 3:38 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2016 3:40 PM

Dec 2009
The only time I did so was for Gundam Unicorn and the Danganronpa series. I don't really rewatch anime in general.

Anyways, if I find out that a dub is going to be released soon for an anime I'm watching, I just stop watching the subbed version and wait for the English episodes to catch up.
Oct 26, 2016 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
Well for the anime I rewatched in English DUB (Prison School, One Punch Man most recently, Dagashi Kashi etc), I do get what your saying (Danganronpa 3 DUBs *cough* Towa *cough*) but can't be helped as some Japanese inflictions don't translate that well to English (moe being the best example of that), but if I liked the DUB for the first episode enough I "MIGHT" continue watching it (in comparison to how almost NEVER drop any show I watch in Japanese)...though One Punch Man was an exception because of Genos' Eng VA, but the rest of the VA were fitted in quite well.

On an offnote, can't wait for the Keijo DUB!

Oct 26, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2016
I will admit I sadly can't watch anything subbed at all since I have some problems but I always check out animes that interest me when they get dubbed (if they do) and 99% of the time I buy them on DVD and you got to believe I rewatch them over and over again (in dub)

(not trying to sound rude here sorry if I do) and if someone/anyone thinks I'm not telling the truth check my rewatch LOL

but anyways I can understand too about first watching it and sub and when it gets a dub rewatching it tbh it's a pretty good idea since then you get to hear both sides

the originals doing alot of hard work to make their dailoge and then having the dub people doing any edits and such to the script to make it make sense making the VA's try to speak at the same pace as the lip flaps as much as possible

I think they are able to edit it now a days that if it's off by a couple of seconds they can arrange properly and if not keep going until they nail it.)

anyways sorry for this message I know this is probably both confusing and off topic a bit tbh I just like talking to people a lot who either don't mind or enjoy dubs

since they have to work quite hard themselves

(not saying the original VA's in the Japanese versions don't work hard since I feel like someone might try going against me sorry I kind of have problems keeping on topic alot lol.)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Oct 26, 2016 6:18 PM

Jan 2016
LegendAqua said:
Well for the anime I rewatched in English DUB (Prison School, One Punch Man most recently, Dagashi Kashi etc), I do get what your saying (Danganronpa 3 DUBs *cough* Towa *cough*) but can't be helped as some Japanese inflictions don't translate that well to English (moe being the best example of that), but if I liked the DUB for the first episode enough I "MIGHT" continue watching it (in comparison to how almost NEVER drop any show I watch in Japanese)...though One Punch Man was an exception because of Genos' Eng VA, but the rest of the VA were fitted in quite well.

On an off note, can't wait for the Keijo DUB!
tbh same here if they get the first 2 or 3 episodes out free on FUNImation's website I'll have to check it out the cast is looking great and Miss Monica Rial is going to be in it :)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Oct 26, 2016 6:49 PM

Jun 2016
Nah, i only watch shows usually once.
Oct 26, 2016 8:12 PM
Oct 2016
If you like dubbed anime, sounds like a good idea. For me, there is never a good reason to watch dubbed anime, but that's just a personal preference
Oct 26, 2016 8:22 PM

Feb 2016
I'll only rewatch it dubbed if I planned on rewatching the show in the first place. Sometimes I'll just watch a single episode to see how it sounds
Oct 26, 2016 8:30 PM

Jul 2014
I don't rewatch Anime in general. If I did, I would watch it in English Dub though. But since I don't troll around waiting for when any Anime gets a dub I'm usually stuck watching it in JPN with ENG Subs. I would love to watch it in English. It is my native language after all.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Oct 26, 2016 8:35 PM

Feb 2015
When I rewatch something, I rewatch it in Japanese, I'm too pro to be watching it in Sub...
Oct 26, 2016 9:14 PM

Jun 2012
No, re-watching a show in another language will always give me a slight declination toward the show, I don't care to hear how does the voice changes...but I care that the words and sentences are adjusting. It does look different and refreshing but the full essence of re-watching diminishes.
Oct 26, 2016 9:20 PM

Nov 2014
yeah, this happens sometimes to my favorite anime

Oct 27, 2016 2:42 AM

Sep 2012
I pretty much never watch a dub. The only exception I tried was cowboy bebop because everyone was going on and on about how great the dub was. I watched the first few episodes switching between the sub and dub and I still thought the japanese version was much better than the dub. Did the the same thing for space dandy with the same results. I really just can't stand the way characters speak english in anime.
Oct 27, 2016 2:46 AM
Aug 2015
Overfoxed said:
Hey everyone,

All the time since I watch harem/ecchi ecchi when they air
Oct 27, 2016 2:53 AM

Dec 2014
Yes. I plan to rewatch GARO and Cross Ange in dub hopefully soon.
And probably some other stuff but I forgot what they were.
Oct 27, 2016 2:56 AM

Sep 2009
Why the hell would you torture yourself like that?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 27, 2016 3:09 AM

Apr 2011
I have a policy to only ever watch subs (unless only dubs are available). My reasoning for this is that I believe everything should be experienced in their original state. In fact, if I knew Japanese, I would disable subs and just watch it raw instead.

That being said, Ghost Stories dub is far too fucking hilarious to miss.
Oct 27, 2016 3:11 AM

Feb 2013
If I re-watch anime it means that I loved it.
Why should I ruin it with stupid dubs?
Oct 27, 2016 3:27 AM

Aug 2015
I'll rewatch an anime when it gets a dub, but I won't be watching it in casual trash dub, just watch it again in sub.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Oct 27, 2016 5:10 AM
May 2009
Yes, but depends on the dub. If the dub is done well and also done by a company that has a good track record than yes.

The second element would be, is the show worth rewatching.
If not than there is no point watching a dub version of it.
Oct 27, 2016 10:40 AM

Apr 2015
I might rewatch Barakamon dubbed since I plan on getting the DVD set.

I've watched the first episode of Panty and Stocking both as a fansub when it was originally airing and English dubbed. (Dunno why I haven't watched the rest yet...)
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 27, 2016 11:36 AM

Jan 2015
The only anime I ever watched dubbed was naruto as a kid. Even when I got older I started watching it subbed. I hate watching dubbed anime.
Oct 27, 2016 12:51 PM

Jan 2008
I never watch dub. Maybe when my niece is a little older and if she likes anime. But if she sticks to dubs after she can read, I quit.
Oct 27, 2016 4:26 PM

Aug 2011
Oh god no, odds are it will be worse, last time I did this was with Spice and Wolf, the Dub was lower quality in sound and picture then my TV fan subs, the voice acting was shit, then when I tried using the official Subs, they were worse than the fan subs.
^_^
Oct 27, 2016 5:35 PM

Jul 2014
No because I'm not some filthy casual and SubsMasterRace.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

6 by nishant0 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

20 by Horshu »»
2 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

234 by FZREMAKE »»
7 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 56 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.