Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 4, 2016 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm White Fox original project...

Seemed lighthearted at first until that demon came. In the meantime, Matoi managed to awaken her powers (THAT OST). Kinda curious to see the potential of that. Yuma seems to be the youngest of the main cast so far but very brave as well.

Well so far, I think the ideas of the show may work. I think it could be a hit or miss though as far as original anime project goes and the director involved in it..Sakoi Masayuki's most recent work involving Sora no Method. The battles seemed rather colorful so far.
Oct 4, 2016 7:26 AM

May 2016
It looks cheap. That's my biggest problem.

Overall, it's not bad. I'll be watching.
TeamDalaiLanaOct 5, 2016 4:15 AM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Oct 4, 2016 8:03 AM

Jun 2015
The animation wasn't terrible imo, and the character designs were okay, but it did leave a little to be desired.

Other than that this was... um... okay? I guess it was okay. The dialogue was weak and the episode was just a normal pilot episode, but there might be a lot going on with the story with the magic and military and monsters. We'll see how this pans out.
Oct 4, 2016 9:03 AM

Nov 2012
Alot of QUALITY moments already this first episode,this looks like some B-team side project that was done alongside Re:Zero and was done with little priority/effort.

Also props to the dad for fondling his daughter thinking she was her mom and hmm weird,her clothing disappeared after undoing her transformation...
Oct 4, 2016 9:34 AM

Jan 2015
Talking about "graphic", I don't really understand about it. But it seems pretty "lack" for some supernatural-theme anime.
But the comedy part is pretty amusing. I hardly remember about that tense-feeling while they encounter the enemy. LOL
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Oct 4, 2016 9:53 AM

Jul 2015
Absolutely fucking lol at starting off a show with cringe-tier engrish. No way am I going to take the anime seriously after that.
Oct 4, 2016 9:58 AM

Jul 2011
I wasn't expecting the show to take this kind of turn. Actually, I wasn't even planning to watch this show in the first place. However, I'm somewhat enjoying it so far. I wouldn't say it's great, but I wouldn't say that it's bad either. Just... ok.
ohanaeOct 4, 2016 10:09 AM
Oct 4, 2016 10:28 AM

Mar 2013
Yes bad engrish start love it, okay the animation in this is going to take some getting used to but the comedy is at least good. I'm still not a fan of 3d/cg objects, environments, machines, monsters, characters, or anything this level of 3d/cg being added into a 2d environment mainly because many haven't found that perfect way to blend in 3d with 2d... yet.
Oct 4, 2016 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
Wasn't planning on watching this, but decided to check out the first episode.

It was pretty enjoyable, so I am gonna give it a shot!

Really liked how Matoi has no interest in exorcising demons, but because she tripped she got the power to do so.

Hope we get a little more background on her mother and why she ended up with the ability.
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 4, 2016 11:19 AM

Sep 2015
Well nothing bad about the english in the first few mints, just the sound of Asian speaking english. And obviously the subbers are taking their own hand adding some sub mistake along the whole episode.

Well its not boring all I can say, the series do have small bit of comedy here and there.
valvravetruthOct 4, 2016 11:23 AM
Oct 4, 2016 11:23 AM

Jan 2010
I guess I had my expectations too high, didn't like it that much. I probably only liked the transformation part and loled at the one where the girl's father thought she was the mother. Decent visuals, but I have the feeling is gotta be pretty boring, cliche and a bit edgy even.
Oct 4, 2016 12:07 PM

May 2015
I didn't know what to expect from this show, but this first episode was enjoyable. It's pretty colorful, and the OST was pretty good. I'm not expecting too much, but let's see where it goes. Maybe White Fox will pull off something great here, considering it's their original project.

Oct 4, 2016 12:25 PM

Mar 2008
It was a so-so start for the series. Cryptic opening scene with shaky English no doubt sewing the seeds for a later plot point.

The main characters are rather bland, the adult characters are grating and obnoxious. The boob grab scene was cingeworthy. Tatsuya Katou's score is really excellent. This anime may have some potential let's hope it can rise to it.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Oct 4, 2016 12:25 PM

Jan 2015
I thught I had clicked on the wrong episode at first

I was expecting some lighthearted comedy, but that was a lot better than I had expected
Oct 4, 2016 12:30 PM

Sep 2013
The art and animation is fine and the execution was good too, nice start all around.

Demons are possessing people and want to take over the world it seems.
Oct 4, 2016 12:37 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I mean this was pretty decent at best imo. Everything was cool until Matoi got felt up by her dad. Smh Dad.

Hopefully this will turn out to be a good original show.
Oct 4, 2016 12:40 PM

Dec 2013
The art reminds me of Kiznaiver for some reason.
Overall it was a decent start. I'm more interested in the Saber Alter wannabe though. Matoi seems more of a Magi-Girl than an exorcist.
There's some serious fan-service here though. Cleavage, short skirts and boob grabs.

Let's see where this show goes.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 4, 2016 12:48 PM

Jul 2014
Imho, it's more promising than the other Mahou Shoujou anime this season, MahouPro.

The artwork is very heavily infused with the western animation style (just look at Pochi). But the story and characters are both decent and just overall a promising show.
Oct 4, 2016 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
The animation and art are both fine!

Matoi has gained the power to exorcise the evil spirits!
Oct 4, 2016 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
Mixed feelings tbh. The ecchi scenes felt out of place. I like the art, the animation was so-so. Tatsuya Kato's music added a lot to the scenes so I may finish this just for him. We'll see.
Oct 4, 2016 1:31 PM

Apr 2013
This series has a lot going for it - such as a charming animation style, fun characters and the start of a great family drama mixed with some cool magical girl action - but some of the raunchy comedy they used felt really out of place; sometimes to a distracting degree.

Also, I'm interested to see how they play Matoi's father after the incident at the end of the episode. While it seems like they may just brush it aside, the fact that he's already far more involved in the story than most parents in these situations are even this early in a series has me interested in what direction this will go.

Honestly, I'm just looking forward to continuing to watch this one overall. It wasn't the best opening episode, but it was still a good introduction and provided enough to hold my attention and have me eager to see what comes next.
Oct 4, 2016 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished watching the episode, and as a first episode it did seem pretty enjoyable as a viewer. The art and animation reminds me of one of those crazy type of style cartoon styles, and same with the artstyle along with the cutesy moe type of point.

Pacing was a bit fast of course but I do think it was nice at least to have a runtime enough to introduce the characters and to focus on them, I do enjoy Yuma and Matoi's relationship at the very least.
Oct 4, 2016 1:40 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I found it highly uninteresting even though there were some things on (Matoi looking like her mother while transformed, the blond girl in the beginning).
Oct 4, 2016 1:44 PM

Jan 2012
the usual unimaginative shit.
I am just here to make the average score more realistic.

4/10 dropped
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Oct 4, 2016 1:52 PM

Mar 2010
if the dad lives I'll keep on watching . I wonder where her mom went :/
voice acting was cringe though.
Oct 4, 2016 2:10 PM

Aug 2015
ENGRISH! ISSO CEEEWL! SUNUVABICH!
(White Fox engrish anyone?)
Oct 4, 2016 2:21 PM

Dec 2014
Wonder how they'll take the story. Most likely a late-night version of something like Sailor Moon rather than the typical magical girl series we commonly see (IE: the Madoka clones).

Either way, I loved the slice of life and comedy aspects, and the action was pretty good too. The ideas showcased seemingly clash, though they could all come together by the end.

(As a sidenote, there are parts of the episode that look rushed, but some of it looks really damn good actually. Like Orange or Dimension W, I suppose.)
Oct 4, 2016 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Aeonenleben said:

4/10 dropped

Uh I don't think the score counts in terms of 1 episode, if its like 3 then it does if its 12 episodes or something... I think. But eh, just pointing that out >w<
Oct 4, 2016 2:50 PM

Feb 2015
I liked it, I thought it was really good, though then again I like the idea of lolis murdering demons, it's a good way to spen your evenig.

Oct 4, 2016 3:08 PM

Jun 2013
Damn, Y'all are harsh, it wasnt amazing but i thought this was a very solid start and one of the best first episodes of the season.
Oct 4, 2016 3:11 PM
Nov 2015
I'm not really hooked on it yet, but White Fox is one of my favorite studios, so I guess I'll keep watching for that alone.
Also, it looks like Trigger's art style which I'm kind of iffy on, after seeing Re:Zero's gorgeous art and animation from last season, this pales in comparison.
Oct 4, 2016 3:41 PM

Apr 2010
This seems all over the place but i like it.
I wonder what more we can expect from this seeing the characters.
This is probably going to be funny.
Oct 4, 2016 3:48 PM

Jan 2012
TheLittleRedHero said:
Aeonenleben said:

4/10 dropped

Uh I don't think the score counts in terms of 1 episode, if its like 3 then it does if its 12 episodes or something... I think. But eh, just pointing that out >w<

guess i get drunk and watch two more of this repetetiv shit in about 2 weeks time.
Thanks, fam.
Oct 4, 2016 3:58 PM

Aug 2009
Apparently we can't have a normal mahou shoujo anime anymore, besides Precure.

Almost every mahou shoujo anime today is trying really hard to be a dark Madoka clone or a fanservice fest.

I was hoping this would be different, but yeah, another overcomplex story with lots of fanservice. The gimmick in this one is probably bullying Matoi Kuma Miko style and/or maybe incest with her father.

Really disappointing.
Oct 4, 2016 4:19 PM

Jan 2008
Probably gonna be a bunch of father x daughters doujinshis of this show.

It wasn't anything memorable and yellow subs trigger me.
Oct 4, 2016 4:49 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
MerchantPrince said:
This series has a lot going for it - such as a charming animation style, fun characters and the start of a great family drama mixed with some cool magical girl action - but some of the raunchy comedy they used felt really out of place; sometimes to a distracting degree.

Also, I'm interested to see how they play Matoi's father after the incident at the end of the episode. While it seems like they may just brush it aside, the fact that he's already far more involved in the story than most parents in these situations are even this early in a series has me interested in what direction this will go.

My thoughts were all over the place, but you pretty much nailed what I was thinking. About half way though I was wondering if I had better things to do - I'm not a fan of humor that relies on a character's brain turning to mush when he sees tits. But I am a bit curious now to see how this develops with her father. Though I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.
Oct 4, 2016 5:17 PM

Jan 2011
It's 2016.

Yellow subs as primary and white as secondary.

Wtf is wrong with you 'anime network'.

And agreed always trying to replicate Madoka in some way or another.
Oct 4, 2016 5:32 PM

May 2013
very nice for episode one.
Just disappointed tat there's no transformation scene tho.
Oct 4, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2011
Paul said:

It wasn't anything memorable and yellow subs trigger me.

you and me both.

wasn't really bad nor noteworthy that god awful opening didn't help though ,really felt all over the place so i'll give it a few more tries to see if it goes anywhere.
Oct 4, 2016 6:01 PM

Aug 2013
Miko-ish ost is always welcome for me

I've been looking forward for this show, it's ok I guess?
well, I'll stick till the end
Oct 4, 2016 6:32 PM

Dec 2014
Poor alpha team. They have the whole army stationed outside the castle and they send 4 guys to scout the enormous building, from the front hall...
Oct 4, 2016 6:56 PM

Sep 2016
its very interesting :) i can not wait what next :D i hope i will be good or better like this ep
Oct 4, 2016 7:08 PM
Dec 2014
Aeonenleben said:

4/10 dropped

Perfect definition of a goon
Oct 4, 2016 9:01 PM
Jun 2013
Looks like the power is a mix of persona and magical girl. It's a fun episode with likable characters. Also it seems that the Shingo guy is not the biological father since Matoi refers to him by name. So, technically there was no incest involved during the groping, just a random comedic fanservice lol.
Oct 4, 2016 9:19 PM

Feb 2014
Yeah its cheap looking in its animation but it did everything else fairly well.
Oct 4, 2016 9:40 PM

Feb 2013
It's not bad but it's not great either, I'll give this a shot
Oct 4, 2016 9:46 PM

Aug 2013
I honestly don't know how to feel off of that. This is one of those pilot episodes where I feel like I have to watch more in order to truly determine whether or not it's worth watching. I feel rather underwhelmed considering it is from White Fox and given White Fox's past productions (ReZero, Akame Ga Kill, The False Faces, etc.), this is...something that is gonna take a little bit to accept.

I feel like they are trying to pull a Trigger like they did with Kill la Kill and take a bunch of different archetypes in anime and blend them together to create something that can be light-hearted and comedic to action-packed and probably dark. In this case we are given Mahou Shoujo and crossing it with Exorcism shows. We get random comedy, fanservice, dramatic elements and bad engrish. I don't know where this show is going to go so I'll probably stick with it for another week or two in order to give it a chance to grow but right now, it's a solid 5/10 for a start.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 4, 2016 10:15 PM

Nov 2012
watching the first few minutes i thought i'd downloaded a wrong episode or something lol. i expected this series to be more lighthearted, but it was okay i guess. the boob groping scene was really unnecessary and cringeworthy though, i really hope it won't be a fanservicey series like this.
Oct 4, 2016 10:49 PM

Jan 2012
ozzynothing said:
Aeonenleben said:

4/10 dropped

Perfect definition of a goon

*looks at profile*
*sees average score of 9.98*
*sneers*
Oct 4, 2016 11:39 PM

Dec 2015
It was interesting at best. I was expecting something different from the parallel world entities I saw because of the miko mention, but they opted for the classic ennemies.
The drawings seem relatively nice, the girls charadesign on the other hand felt strange (no idea why). At least, it is a bit different from what I am sadly growing accustomed to (Sword Art, Rokka no Yûsha, Re0, Izetta right now). The apparition of a Tex Avery horny wolf was pretty funny, despite not blending at all in the picture.

3/5
Tentative score: 4~7/10
I shouldn't have hoped for a vitrine anime crafted with a lot of attention: after all, it is not an anniversary project for the studio (who seems way more/too concerned with adaptations anyway).

Why is everyone talking about "incest"? The man, Shingo, only embraced the heroin under the assumption she was his deceased/disappeared love. PLUS when was the last time you heard a regular teenager call one of his parents by his first name (especially when not doing it with the other)?
Rei_IIIOct 4, 2016 11:55 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2016

47 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 20, 2021 5:27 AM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2016

35 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 20, 2021 4:30 AM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2016

46 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 19, 2021 4:20 AM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2016

26 by RukakoisBestGirl »»
Oct 30, 2020 10:14 PM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2016

34 by TheBigGuy »»
Mar 23, 2017 3:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.