Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 19, 2016 6:00 PM

Oct 2010
razisgosu said:
7/10 overall. Cute and funny at times. Machi really needs to get over her country bumpkin social anxiety though.

"country bumpkin social anxiety" is what it was meant to be. Instead she matched real social disorders such as aspergers perfectly. You don't "get over" social disorders. You get professional help, or get lucky and find something you can do to make a living that doesn't require people around you. There's absolutely no "getting over" it. And forcing her into extreme social situations is the exact opposite of helping her. She may be fictional but I can't help but feel extremely bad for her, since I know just how painful this can be for people like us with serious social disorders. It makes us physically ill along with mentally ill.
Jun 19, 2016 6:05 PM

Jun 2012
Really boring series overall. Machi's anxiety attacks were pretty annoying to watch. I feel like this a poor mans Barakamon. Even though they arent very similar.
Jun 19, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2011
Rated low imo. I enjoyed this. Little repetitive and not a ton of substance but I liked the characters, found it cute, and funny. Will agree that the anxiety attacks drew too much focus and really the only con.
Jun 19, 2016 6:32 PM

Mar 2014
i cant believe Shinmai Maou has a higher rating than kumamiko
Jun 19, 2016 6:43 PM

Mar 2008
ButtSlapper said:

After this episode you can't believe that?

That show has problems and unsettling elements. But this episode just made this series....utter garbage. The person who wrote this episode should be slapped upside the head.

This episode was horrible and basically ruined the whole show. Poor Machi....just that poor kid.
Jun 19, 2016 6:56 PM

Mar 2014
FlareKnight said:
ButtSlapper said:

After this episode you can't believe that?

That show has problems and unsettling elements. But this episode just made this series....utter garbage. The person who wrote this episode should be slapped upside the head.

This episode was horrible and basically ruined the whole show. Poor Machi....just that poor kid.

why poor machi. it was fun to watch her getting tortured. the aesthetics of destorying cuteness.
Jun 19, 2016 7:11 PM

Mar 2008
Kougeru said:
razisgosu said:
7/10 overall. Cute and funny at times. Machi really needs to get over her country bumpkin social anxiety though.

"country bumpkin social anxiety" is what it was meant to be. Instead she matched real social disorders such as aspergers perfectly. You don't "get over" social disorders. You get professional help, or get lucky and find something you can do to make a living that doesn't require people around you. There's absolutely no "getting over" it. And forcing her into extreme social situations is the exact opposite of helping her. She may be fictional but I can't help but feel extremely bad for her, since I know just how painful this can be for people like us with serious social disorders. It makes us physically ill along with mentally ill.

I fully believe the scenarios from this show are things that could be worked through with time and exposure. The only reason she felt people were throwing rocks at her is because she has it so ingrained in her mind that people are judging her for being from the country. Fact is, they aren't. Talking to people would get her through that.
Jun 19, 2016 7:25 PM

Oct 2010
razisgosu said:

I fully believe the scenarios from this show are things that could be worked through with time and exposure. The only reason she felt people were throwing rocks at her is because she has it so ingrained in her mind that people are judging her for being from the country. Fact is, they aren't. Talking to people would get her through that.

We're seeing different things. Again, as someone that suffers from a serious social disorders that matches exactly what Machi has displayed, I highly disagree with your assessment. The scenarios to me showed no progress at all. The only times she succeeded were when people helped her. Even in the end she only got through it by completely phasing the crowd out. That's completely different than actually dealing with people... It's one sided. That's how I deal with humanity in public. I ignore them like she did. I have to in order to stay sane. She is clearly capable of talking to people, as am I. But only once we know them already. Look at when we first met Hibiki. Machi was scared of her for various reasons and couldn't really talk to her. But after a short while she become pretty damn close. That's basically how aspergers relationships work lol. We can barely deal with people unless we get get to know them slowly, one on one. Forcing her into crowds is what I have issues with. That clearly didn't work at all and set her up for this awful ending where she basically becomes Natsu's pet.
Jun 19, 2016 8:13 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Very bad ending and disappointing adaptation.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 19, 2016 8:23 PM

Jan 2011
Man this ending is kinda fucked up when you think about it and the awful message it sends as well.

6/10 because i did get some laughs show was a disappointing down spiral after the first episode and ended up being nothing but watching Machi get bullied and suffer with her social anxiety which ended up being far less funny and more kinda just sad.

wanted something like Shirokuma Cafe... not this
Jun 19, 2016 8:31 PM
Jul 2009
I think what everyone here needs to take into consideration is that this is a Japanese show made for Japanese audiences. And Japan, historically, has taken a dim view towards mental illness in general, and to put it gently, doesn't exactly treat mental illness as an illness so much as a character defect.

This is of course, abominable to most western audiences, but again, context. And maybe something to keep in mind the next time an anime fan idolizes Japanese culture.
Jun 19, 2016 8:34 PM
Aug 2014
-Machi didn't develope at all and even worse she becomes more depending on Natsu.
-Ushio starts as this inconsiderate asshole, and ends up as this inconsiderate asshole. Lessons learned is zero.
-Natsu who was the most rational character turns into a selfish prick by getting happy with Machi's withdrawal. a trait shared by every child abusers and rapests, well he's not Pedpbear for nothing.
-The only character who grows is best girl, Hiiko.
Jun 19, 2016 9:37 PM

May 2015
Far from the best slice of life/comedy series I’ve seen. It was somewhat enjoyable though, especially the beginning.

At the end of the day, none of the character stuck with me and the overall message left a lot to desire, so I doubt I will remember this series after a couple of weeks.... I will miss the OP/ED animation sequences though.

Overall: 5/10

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jun 19, 2016 9:47 PM

Jul 2014
As much as i loved the show, the ending was a complete BAD END. Maybe the Good End is in the mangas
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jun 19, 2016 10:13 PM

Oct 2015
This show started off pretty promising but a little over half way though the series Machi being sacred of the city and shopping centers got repetitive.

I really disliked this episode because Machi just gave up on trying to go to the city and she gave up on her dream, she gets scared by just seeing regular people in the city, she seriously needs to see a Psychiatrist. Also this last episode sent a horrible message.

I'm going to still give this show a 6/10 because it was enjoyable in some parts and I did overall like more of it than I disliked but this isn't something I'll ever care to re-watch.

If you want a similar show to this which is actuelly really good than check out Gingitsune (I haven't finished it but it seems much more promising) or Inari konkon koi iroha or better yet both.
Jun 19, 2016 10:55 PM

May 2011
This's the most sad ending i ever watch, poor machi she's like bird in the cage forever.

from epsd 1 i'm kinda hoppin she's gonna get to school in city and her anxiety will play some funny role with her school friend.
Jun 19, 2016 10:56 PM

Jan 2011
What kind of bullshit ending is that? All the supposed progress Machi made, all gone. If they were gonna do that then they shouldn't have pushed that angle in the first place. I'd rate it lower if it wasn't so easy to ignore these last two episodes.
Jun 19, 2016 11:33 PM

Jun 2009
Was fun for a while, but then got really annoying halfway through with all the social anxiety.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Jun 19, 2016 11:34 PM

Jun 2015
Nice to see Machi achieving success in the competition..

Overall I gave it a 7.. fantastic artwork, decent animation, gave me a chance to learn some part of Japanese culture.. feels were there, especially when it comes to Natsu.
Still feel the ending was a little hasty, but I guess there really isn't much of a story plot with this series..

Voice acting was decent too.

Jun 20, 2016 12:22 AM

Oct 2014
5/10 It was average, I loved so many aspects of this show but it was lacking and wasn't consistent to the end. Speaking of the end.... wow, I'm really not quite sure what to think of it, the message it sends is horrible. Have to admit though I love this kind of surprise ending.
Jun 20, 2016 1:11 AM

Dec 2015
The episode started as a decent try to give an end to the little story supporting the show. When she had to imagine her usual environment and forget the audience to be able to perform, it was clear she would end up staying in the village (that was already obvious, I know). But it was good to see her partially "succeed" in something like that, aware that she wasn't the only one concerned by this contest. Yoshio's awareness and Natsu's "guilt" grow a bit too.
What totally breaks the episode interest (and some previous events) is the way her familial supports (Yoshio and the bear), after trying to persuade her she did fine, let her drown into her delusions as soon as she states she gave up her resolution ! Especially Natsu, who pushes the sin to the point it advises her to let it care of anything: she doesn't have to think for herself anymore, on the contrary she should embrace her ignorance... where is the joke, I don't find any comical idea here.

2/5

Again, what is this idea I keep reading on this website that Natsu cursed Machi and is responsible for her state? I never heard/read anything like that over the course of the anime, is it something you can only learn in the manga?

It was pretty and seemed well-made. The funny jokes were recycled too much (they really should have opt for a shorter format like 6 eps/OAVs). There are some funny characters but they end up as horrible humans (I usually don't mind it in comedies but here they are always presented as "nice" or "well-meaning"). Abominable conclusion.

4-5/10 (rounded to 4)

wakka9ca said:
Very bad ending and disappointing adaptation.

Did you read it?
Rei_IIIJun 20, 2016 1:18 AM
Jun 20, 2016 2:02 AM

May 2010
Ah... that ended on a disappointing note. Natsu pretty much brainwashed Machi at the end. Dem fake smiles and laugh hurt in the last scene. I wish Machi got more positive development, I like her and want her to see smile truly. Meh...

Still, a good show. I am biased, okay. I really loved the 1st half, but the 2nd half got a bit depressing. 7.5/10
BUT would def watch s2 if it ever gets one.
TragicRomanceJun 20, 2016 2:36 AM
Jun 20, 2016 3:18 AM

Dec 2012
Everything about this show was just so adorable. I especially loved Machi.
Her voice fit her so well and her design is one of the cutest I've seen in a while. x3 7/10 for me lol.
Jun 20, 2016 3:18 AM

Nov 2012
oh great, so machi is back to being like she was at the beginning.
3/10, this show was pretty bad.

Uniju said:
I would throw a rock at Yoshio too

also this.
Jun 20, 2016 3:38 AM

Sep 2015
hithummah said:
-Machi didn't develope at all and even worse she becomes more depending on Natsu.
-Ushio starts as this inconsiderate asshole, and ends up as this inconsiderate asshole. Lessons learned is zero.
-Natsu who was the most rational character turns into a selfish prick by getting happy with Machi's withdrawal. a trait shared by every child abusers and rapests, well he's not Pedpbear for nothing.
-The only character who grows is best girl, Hiiko.

this

i got scared for this ending its look like machi got brainwashed or got replaced by "new" machi without save data and not allowed to grow
Into the Internet!
Jun 20, 2016 4:21 AM

Feb 2015
A terribly insensitive ending...
Jun 20, 2016 4:21 AM
Oct 2010
silverwalls said:
oh great, so machi is back to being like she was at the beginning.
3/10, this show was pretty bad.

Uniju said:
I would throw a rock at Yoshio too

also this.

...Even worse cause at least in the start she had an interest in going to the city. She's regressed quite harshly. At this point its highly doubtful that could ever integrate with other people.
Jun 20, 2016 5:30 AM

Jun 2013
So Natsu the bear to the rescue. A freakin bear gets off in the middle of the road and runs to the city and no one sees him until he reaches the event place. And that is when he realizes that he's a bear and shouldn't be roaming around in a city in the first place.

So Machi gives her all after hearing that the fate of the village is in her hands and she manages to put on a good show by imagining herself in her happy place. But immediately after she takes the applauding crowd to be an angry mob calling her a bumpkin and throwing stones at her for some reason.

The end result of it all is that Machi decides against going to the city and all her hardwork goes to waste. Natsu tells her to not think about anything at all and not use her brain too much. Lol Internet Saito. Best guy ever.

This was a fun show overall. It had downs in the comedy at times and sometimes I wasn't sure whether to laugh or sympathize with Machi. But it was mostly amusing seeing Machi act like a typical villager with zero knowledge about anything going on outside.
Jun 20, 2016 5:42 AM

Nov 2009

But that ending. That's a horrible ending. Don't try to think just stay where you are.

And no one even tried to help her by proving they didn't hate her.

I really liked this show, but this ending was downright awful.
Houseki No Kuni, aka The Land of the Lustrous. Best of 2017.
Jun 20, 2016 5:49 AM

Jun 2008
Kougeru said:
They never said she had a social disorder, but as someone with aspergers, it's extremely obvious to me that the author probably gave it to her on accident. What she needs is people who understand her issues and can work around them...not completely ignore them and force things upon her that make them worse. I originally thought the author might've given her aspergers on purpose, but after this episode it's clear to me the author just thought it would be funny to make her socially awkward (unless of course, this is an original ending that the studio came up with...in which case I apologize to the mangaka).

This is how we end up with people that can't do anything in life.

She hardly had Aspergers. Aspergers are high functioning autism. Think of it being like Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory". What Machi had was more of a sheltered like and having very high social anxiety due to a lack of interaction with people outside of her village. She could read people's body language and understand language cues. It's due her lack of experience that made it difficult at times for her.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 20, 2016 8:12 AM

Aug 2008
At first I thought this episode was just a bland piece of crap made using some half assed checklist but the last scene made it downright disturbing. Machi was acting like a retard as if she regressed because of all the stress she experienced earlier. The last two episodes weren't funny even for a moment. The series started all right but this ending was so awful I'm at a loss of words.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 20, 2016 8:59 AM

Aug 2014
Fuck, what a depressing finale.

Would think all the Miko-abuse would at least culminate in a happy ending. The only redeeming part of the show was Machi being cute as shit.
QuattroVaginasJun 20, 2016 10:31 AM
Sieg Zeon!
Jun 20, 2016 9:08 AM

May 2014
Now its ended , I will miss u Machi-chan

even though the ending is a bit lacking

I enjoy it

Good for Machi that she won a special prize
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2016 9:22 AM

Dec 2013
Sorry to say, but I cannot help but interpret the ending of this show as this:

Machi gets traumatized by Sendai despite her performance, and went completely insane. The shit she was spewing at the end there was typical of a nutty person. So in the end she's become a mentally unstable invalid, whom Natsu will enjoy taking care of for the rest of her life.

Doesn't sound all that happy now does it? But it's essentially what they tried to hide with such a happy ED theme. Anyone thinking this was a "happy ending" is sorely mistaken. She went nuts, her mental age regressed to a baby, curtain roll....
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 20, 2016 9:58 AM

Jul 2008
I liked the series, but wow that ending was dark. I feel bad for Machi. ;_;
Jun 20, 2016 10:35 AM

Jul 2014
So, all the hard work for nothing and Machi ended worse than in the beginning. I liked this show but this ending :/
Jun 20, 2016 10:58 AM

Jan 2011
Final episode and a nice end. The series was good for most of the episodes. Few memorable hilarious and heartbreaking moments. Still there could be much more comedy vibe in it and less pressure on Machis paranoid fears ;P I will miss Natsu and Machi. Kumaaaan~

Jun 20, 2016 12:34 PM

Apr 2014
what a shit ending

Jun 20, 2016 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
So during the course of the show her social anxiety ends up crippling her and makes her decide to NOT go to school, what a weird way to end the show. The idol contest went okay but Machi had a bad experience anyway because she's messed up and that's it. Would it have been so hard to actually make that a nice experience and them starting over to get her ready for school?

I liked the show but they went overboard with her social anxiety stuff, would have liked to see them handle that a bit more light hearted or with some more comedy.
Jun 20, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2013
sbyrstall said:
Kougeru said:
They never said she had a social disorder, but as someone with aspergers, it's extremely obvious to me that the author probably gave it to her on accident. What she needs is people who understand her issues and can work around them...not completely ignore them and force things upon her that make them worse. I originally thought the author might've given her aspergers on purpose, but after this episode it's clear to me the author just thought it would be funny to make her socially awkward (unless of course, this is an original ending that the studio came up with...in which case I apologize to the mangaka).

This is how we end up with people that can't do anything in life.

She hardly had Aspergers. Aspergers are high functioning autism. Think of it being like Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory". What Machi had was more of a sheltered like and having very high social anxiety due to a lack of interaction with people outside of her village. She could read people's body language and understand language cues. It's due her lack of experience that made it difficult at times for her.

Aspergers varies person to person actually, some have it mild and some have it really bad, based on experience, Machi is definitely the latter.
Jun 20, 2016 2:21 PM
Mar 2015
Seriously fucked up ending. This show needs tragedy and physiological tags on it. The girl had a freaking mind break and regressed to the mental state of a little child who can't think for herself. Top it off all the people around her act like it is a perfectly fine thing and is good. Especially that piece of shit bear who pressured her to give up her dreams and stay dependent on him forever. I think in a lot places his behavior would be straight out considered abusive. That girl really suffered way too much.
Jun 20, 2016 2:26 PM
Mar 2015
Kougeru said:
razisgosu said:

We're seeing different things. Again, as someone that suffers from a serious social disorders that matches exactly what Machi has displayed, I highly disagree with your assessment. The scenarios to me showed no progress at all. The only times she succeeded were when people helped her. Even in the end she only got through it by completely phasing the crowd out. That's completely different than actually dealing with people... It's one sided. That's how I deal with humanity in public. I ignore them like she did. I have to in order to stay sane. She is clearly capable of talking to people, as am I. But only once we know them already. Look at when we first met Hibiki. Machi was scared of her for various reasons and couldn't really talk to her. But after a short while she become pretty damn close. That's basically how aspergers relationships work lol. We can barely deal with people unless we get get to know them slowly, one on one. Forcing her into crowds is what I have issues with. That clearly didn't work at all and set her up for this awful ending where she basically becomes Natsu's pet.

That ending was truly disgusting. They literally pushed the girl to the point she had a mental break down and regressed to a childlike state that couldn't think for herself. On top of that they all seem to think it is perfectly fine to have things that way. And that shit bear is strait out mentally abusive to her....
Jun 20, 2016 4:31 PM

Aug 2013
8/10
This is what I call awesome comedy, which IS actually funny. Amazing art and animation, great op and ed.
I really don't understand the whole hate. It's a comedy show, not realistic idol drama, come on!
It's probably because many people who doesn't understand sol watched it. Underrated as hell, but in the other hand, most of my favorites shows has rating ~6 - ~7.5, nothing new.
rsc-plJun 20, 2016 4:54 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 20, 2016 4:34 PM

Mar 2016
Wow. I think this is one of the most disappointing endings I've seen thus far. Like seriously, that was a terrible message to end on. Just wow.

Well, despite the horrible ending, there were parts I enjoyed throughout the show so for now I'm gonna rate this 6/10. I might wind up bumping it down to 5/10 though. Mainly because of the ending, &, honestly, this show wasn't consistently funny.
GlitchytronicsJun 20, 2016 4:38 PM
Jun 20, 2016 5:14 PM

Sep 2012
WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO WITH THIS SHOW?

It started as a great funny slice of life, but now look at that. They don't know if they wanna handle social anxiety as a serious theme or as joke, but then they kicked the bucket with that ending. Seriously, making her a shut-in forever? Acting like a baby at the end? Do you call that development? I'd expect something like that from a show that wanted to be mean from the start, not from this one.
Jun 20, 2016 5:27 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed this show. 8/10 for me. The best part was reading all the triggered reactions.
Jun 20, 2016 5:31 PM

Jul 2015
animefan8800 said:
Tohka_Yatogami said:
Machi won the idol contest, that was good for her!

She didn't win, she got a special prize.

So uhhhh....was that really a happy ending? XD Sure, Machi got that prize, and ended up content to stay in the village and play with Natsu but...her crippling social anxiety disorder got completely ignored. I guess it's best not to think about it, just as Natsu suggested. XD

Anyway, given the adorable premise and character designs the tone of this show was surprisingly misleading. Machi was made to suffer quite a bit, thanks largely to that absolute dick Yoshio, who I still wish Natsu mauled to death. Her social anxiety disorder really hit close to home for me and provided several uncomfortable scenes. At the same time there were several genuinely fun/funny/cute scenes like "sexual harassment," the cell phone, and commercial shoot. And I did ultimately like the main Natsu/Machi relationship. I'm torn on how to grade this, but....7/10.

Also, this show definitely had the best ending theme this season for whatever that's worth.

Seems we share a similar opinion on this, though I'm giving it a 6/10. I ended up feeling much worse then I should have towards the end of this anime. There was so much I liked about this, but so much I hated about it too.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 20, 2016 5:41 PM

Nov 2011
AdmiralFox said:
I think what everyone here needs to take into consideration is that this is a Japanese show made for Japanese audiences. And Japan, historically, has taken a dim view towards mental illness in general, and to put it gently, doesn't exactly treat mental illness as an illness so much as a character defect.

This is of course, abominable to most western audiences, but again, context. And maybe something to keep in mind the next time an anime fan idolizes Japanese culture.

Ep 11 is already getting low ratings on NND, so your argument is not really working. Japanese audiences are also starting to dislike it.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jun 20, 2016 5:53 PM
Mar 2013
worst Ending, only ep 1 is good for my memories

really give to much expectation for this show just cute girls, so dissapointed
Jun 20, 2016 6:03 PM

Apr 2010
WTH?! They've broken Machi?! and that's supposed to be a happy ending?? Man that's messed up.. I can't believe I got to be disappointed to another show I've enjoyed so much just because of a shitty ending.. orz

Poor machi, hope you get a better ending in another world line.. El Psy Kongroo~
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

72 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

55 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 26, 2022 10:43 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

63 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

92 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 16, 2022 11:59 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2016

74 by Gendolfas »»
Dec 11, 2019 9:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.