Forum Settings
Forums

What are some great characters in the wrong show?

New
Mar 6, 2016 5:02 PM

Jun 2015
Just browsing thru some shows I've watched and it occurred to me that my teen romantic comedy was a show I couldn't connect with but Hachiman was a really great character. I was thinking that his persona and psychological elements were not suited or perhaps too good for the high school setting "rom/com" that is my teen romantic comedy. I was thinking he would be a better character in something like psycho pass where it focuses a lot on psychological elements (what is "justice", how to handle conflicts). What characters do viewers of this topic think are "too good" for their respective show and where would you like to see them?
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 6, 2016 5:43 PM

Jun 2015
Guren from Owari was a great character in an average anime. Though being the type of character he is, I can't see him in anything other than military-type shows, which is a shame.
Mar 6, 2016 5:54 PM
Sep 2011
This is actually a difficult question since a lot of my liking of an anime depends on the characters. If the show itself is bad, then usually the characters are bad as well.

I recently watched Fractale and i'm of the opinion that Nessa was the only good thing about it, but I wouldn't even put her in my expanded favorites.
Mar 6, 2016 6:32 PM

Sep 2014
Laxus in Fairy Tail.

They removed all of his unique character traits that he was initially introduced with just to fit the generic "fighting because you hurt my friends" bullshit that Fairy Tail keeps doing. A badass like that would not be saying dumb shit about fighting because of friendship, especially out loud.
Mar 6, 2016 7:19 PM

Jul 2015
Probably the Monk from Inuyasha. He was a good multi faceted character when most of Inuyasha was very Average at best.
Mar 6, 2016 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
Maiko in Nisekoi

this dude don't deserve all the shit that's handed to him, he's legitimately the greatest bro of all time and should've been in some grim dark show where he dies valiantly
Mar 6, 2016 7:40 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned

No simple listing please. Post your reasons as to why.
Mar 6, 2016 7:45 PM
Feb 2016
Isla, from Plastic Memories. Her personality made you love her, but the supporting characters, I feel weren't on par. I think she could've done better in a high school action anime, I mean, she even pulled out a sword in one the of scenes.
Mar 6, 2016 8:03 PM

Jul 2015
Naruto becuase i think he can go away for anything and he should be in onichichi imo
Mar 6, 2016 8:09 PM

Nov 2015
Although I loved Senyuu for it's comedic plot, I think Ross would be a great character in an actual action/adventure series. He's got a good personality, back ground and isn't one of those I can lose 99x but win on the 100th cuz I'm MC (even though he is technically op)
Mar 6, 2016 8:53 PM

Jun 2015
Sagai from Guilty Crown. Such a fabulous character in such a trainwreck.
Mar 6, 2016 8:59 PM

May 2012
AltoRoark99 said:

guilty crown is aids. shuu was best character
Mar 6, 2016 11:12 PM

Aug 2014
Akise from Mirai Nikki. That guy deserves to live, I could easily imagine him in a high school based anime where the characters would actually appreciate him.
Mar 6, 2016 11:22 PM

Jul 2014
this is a really hard question for me, because even if I dislike the anime but love a character, I tend to go on reading the source material just for said character and the source material turns out to be amazing, and the amazingness of the character fits in perfectly, so it wouldn't do to shame the name of the source material.

Accelerator from Toaru and Kumagawa from Medaka Box come to mind though, if we're just talking about their respective anime. (although Kumagawa barely got screentime in the anime)
Mar 6, 2016 11:44 PM

Apr 2013
Orochimaru was too good for Naruto. A pretty well done villain in a mediocre show.
Mar 6, 2016 11:51 PM

Nov 2014
It is sad to see some good bleach villains waste their shit in a so-so show.
Looking at you Ulquiorra.

Mar 6, 2016 11:56 PM

Oct 2013
Black Star from Soul Eater.
Having watched only the anime and its "sweet" ending, I think the show turned out to be less than average for me. Despite that, BS in action was never boring. I can easily picture him as the main role in some other shounen.
Mar 7, 2016 12:09 AM

Sep 2009
Kirito. Kirito should've been an additional brother in Umaru (useless ottouto won't stahp playing SAO!), or future Kirito would've made a great addition to NHK ni Youkoso.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 7, 2016 12:15 AM

Oct 2014
I found Furano Yukihira to be a beautifully written character. She's from Noucome which isn't a bad anime but I found her to be better than the series.
Mar 7, 2016 12:49 AM

Apr 2010
I guess Azuna from dance with devils. She deserved more than being supporting character

Mar 7, 2016 2:16 AM

Jul 2013
AltoRoark99 said:
You ninja'd me. I don't know if I would have survived Guilty Crown if wasn't for Segai.

Also, although I don't hate the series, I think that Zeref from Fairy Tail is the best character of the entire series, to the point that I cannot believe that such dark figure like himis an actual character from Fairy Tail, eho is a very lighthearted shonen.
Mar 7, 2016 2:21 AM

Aug 2015
Sinon from SAO

She's a cool character, but doesn't fit in the SAO universe.
Mar 7, 2016 2:43 AM

Oct 2015
Even tho they fit perfectly in the storyline, gilgamesh and saber were 2 great characters in a shit anime called fate/stay night...
Sinon from SAO 2, an above average character in a below average anime...
And Kaneki in tokyo ghoul root A, i get it that its a sequel but he is a great character in shit anime (wish it'd get a proper remake)

~This world is a cruel place~
Mar 7, 2016 2:47 AM
Jan 2016
Jerkhov said:
Maiko in Nisekoi

this dude don't deserve all the shit that's handed to him, he's legitimately the greatest bro of all time and should've been in some grim dark show where he dies valiantly

I say Maiko should get his own harem.
He is a pervert, but he's still too good a guy to actually act upon it, so he fits the bill. The only problem is that he's not dense like your standard harem MC, but I say that would be a nice change of pace.
Mar 7, 2016 2:54 AM

Sep 2015
Wusteven said:
Just browsing thru some shows I've watched and it occurred to me that my teen romantic comedy was a show I couldn't connect with but Hachiman was a really great character. I was thinking that his persona and psychological elements were not suited or perhaps too good for the high school setting "rom/com" that is my teen romantic comedy. I was thinking he would be a better character in something like psycho pass where it focuses a lot on psychological elements (what is "justice", how to handle conflicts). What characters do viewers of this topic think are "too good" for their respective show and where would you like to see them?
I would just like to point out that My Teen Romantic Comedy IS NOT a romantic comedy. It is the most misleading title ever. Also have to agree about Shion. She is wayyyyy to badass for SAO.

To answer with my own character, I guess I would have to go with Shinoa from Seraph of the End. Not necessarily a great character but she is legit the only character in that show who has a personality. Also would say Koko from Jormungand cause I just wanna see her in Black Lagoon.
amk_2397Mar 7, 2016 3:11 AM
Mar 7, 2016 2:56 AM
Mar 2015
The count from gankutsuou. He was easily the best character in the show and gankutsuou would have been a 10/10 anime if not for that shit ending. He belongs in an alternate version of gankutsuou where the ending is similar to the book's ending and where albert gets less than 5 minutes of sereentime.
Mar 7, 2016 4:48 AM

Nov 2012
Bulat, Wave and Chelsea from Akame ga Kill while technically not being great characters had likable personalities and I feel could have been handled much better in another less grim-dark show.
Mar 7, 2016 5:38 AM

Jun 2015
Accelerator from the Index anime, it's funny how shit the anime is and how great a character Accelerator is.
Mar 7, 2016 6:15 AM

Nov 2014
Kuroyukihime was a pretty decent character in such a shit show.

Mar 7, 2016 6:49 AM

Mar 2014
Okabe Rin- *ahem* I mean, HYOUUIN KYOUMA from Steins;Gate.
(Yeah, that's right! I said it! Ya wanna fight about it!?)

He was the best character in the show, surrounded by a bunch of typical archetypal characters and typical VN scenarios, with the only unique aspect of the show being the time travel element.
He would have been much better off being in a different series, surrounded by better characters and a better overall storyline.
::End of Transmission::

Mar 7, 2016 6:52 AM

Nov 2015
Snappynator said:
Akise from Mirai Nikki. That guy deserves to live, I could easily imagine him in a high school based anime where the characters would actually appreciate him.

Yeah that guy is fucking amazing, he can still walk with his head chopped off..
Srsly tho, he's some fine husbando material..
Mar 7, 2016 7:08 AM

Jul 2015
Souma from Food wars,

It's not even that he doesn't fit in food wars. I literally never watch this genre at all can't really usually stand it. More into fantasy/action/drama even romance but to my shock I have loved Food wars so far and he is a big reason.

I find it amusing that one of the most put together consistent, likable,funny while still being not to tropey and badass/tough [ in a logical and mental way not fighting wise.] mcs was found in a food themed show lol.

I would like to see charries like him in more serious action/drama themed shows.
Mar 7, 2016 9:06 AM

Jun 2015
lequack said:
The count from gankutsuou. He was easily the best character in the show and gankutsuou would have been a 10/10 anime if not for that shit ending. He belongs in an alternate version of gankutsuou where the ending is similar to the book's ending and where albert gets less than 5 minutes of sereentime.
while i disagree that gankutsuou's ending was bad, i would love to see more antagonists of the count's caliber in other shows
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen
Mar 7, 2016 9:36 AM

Dec 2012
vigorousjammer said:
Okabe Rin- *ahem* I mean, HYOUUIN KYOUMA from Steins;Gate.
(Yeah, that's right! I said it! Ya wanna fight about it!?)

He was the best character in the show, surrounded by a bunch of typical archetypal characters and typical VN scenarios, with the only unique aspect of the show being the time travel element.
He would have been much better off being in a different series, surrounded by better characters and a better overall storyline.

I don't see that as an actual criticism. He stood out from the rest of the characters on purpose, the narrative was specifically about him and how he dealt with time travel and the loss of people in his life over and over again. Time travel wasn't an element, it was the whole story. He wouldn't work out in another anime.
Mar 7, 2016 9:39 AM

Oct 2015
Erza Scarlet
One of two only redeemable character's in the pile of shit that is Fairy Tail , she had good character development and Presence ( The second being Laxus before his downfall after his arc *sighs )

Kirishima Touka
she deserves better than to be in this garbage of an adaptation like Erza she had a very good character growth throughout the two seasons.
Mar 7, 2016 10:22 AM

Mar 2014
tsudecimo said:
I don't see that as an actual criticism. He stood out from the rest of the characters on purpose, the narrative was specifically about him and how he dealt with time travel and the loss of people in his life over and over again. Time travel wasn't an element, it was the whole story. He wouldn't work out in another anime.

By "element" I didn't mean to say it was a small part of the show. I meant to say it was one of the few unique aspects of the show (and one of the few good parts of it, as well).
Anyway, he could absolutely work in another show about time travel... you know... a better one.
Honestly, there was a bunch of generic shit getting in the way in Steins;Gate that made it difficult to get through. I realize it's highly rated, but I thought it had flaws, with only a handful of redeeming qualities. Okabe was one of those redeeming qualities... and I'd prefer to see him in a different show without all of that generic shit.
::End of Transmission::

Mar 7, 2016 10:32 AM

Dec 2011
Hasegawa Kobato from BokuTomo, I felt like she belonged in series like Chuunibyou or Inou Battle instead of some ecchi like harem series.
Mar 7, 2016 10:41 AM

Nov 2012
wave from akame ga kill comes to mind. he was a pretty funny character and deserved better than that shitty series.
Mar 7, 2016 10:48 AM

Sep 2015
amk_2397 said:
Wusteven said:
I would just like to point out that My Teen Romantic Comedy IS NOT a romantic comedy. It is the most misleading title ever.

"My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected. "
SNAFU : "Situation normal, all fucked up"

It wasn't a misleading title at all. People just fail at reading.

OT : Shinoa from Owari no Seraph. She was pretty much the only reason I could bare through the first season.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 7, 2016 11:21 AM

Jun 2015
Kumagawa Misogi: he's a good and interesting and I liked his "loser" side that many times was contradicted by himself. But I think Medaka Box was bad despite the trash and satire were his strong point.
Mar 7, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2015
hai : darker than black was a a fine anime but the mc is just <3
hachiman : oreigaru was a boring trash but the mc was interesting
Mar 7, 2016 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Jean Kirstein from AoT, He's probably the only Character in the whole series that was being developed and I mean the only one. To me that guy overshadowed the rest of the cast; who were all a bunch of 2D Shounen tropes, Seriously how could the fans of this series overlook him he was even better than that robot Levi who's got 15K followers on MAL which is something that I don't understand.... How???
It's a shame that he's a way above-average Character in a way below-average show.
Mar 7, 2016 11:52 AM

Jul 2015
UBW Lancer was in the wrong show .

Not that he was a waste of time but we didn't get to see his brotherly glory .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 7, 2016 11:54 AM

Aug 2014
SodiumChloride said:

I'm guessing you want him in Fate/Zero? :>
Mar 7, 2016 11:56 AM

Aug 2015
Snappynator said:
SodiumChloride said:

Fate/Zero Lance >>>>>> UBW Lancer in every way. I wouldn't want him in zero :P
Mar 7, 2016 11:56 AM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
Ekaterina Kurae from Seikon no Qwaser.

She would be great in a battle royale anime.

Or maybe I just want to see more of her character... Yup, I am weird
Mar 7, 2016 11:57 AM

Jul 2015
Snappynator said:
SodiumChloride said:

No way .

If Edgiya Kiritsugu killed him I'd weep .

Put him in Apocrypha in place of that filthy Karna and I'd rejoice .

We all need Bro Lancer and not filthy Karna-kun .

Z-Dante said:
Snappynator said:

You foolish boy .

I made a thread on the glory of UBW Lancer in the UBW forums .

Read it you heretic .

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1479361

Fuckin Diarmud ain't got shit on my bro .

He's almost as bad as Karna and his plot armour isn't strong enough to let him survive Gae bolg .
SodiumChlorideMar 7, 2016 12:02 PM
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 7, 2016 12:03 PM

Aug 2015
SodiumChloride said:
Snappynator said:

No way .

Z-Dante said:

You foolish boy .

Read it you heretic .

Fuckin Diarmud ain't got shit on my bro.

And UBW lancer just isn't GAR enough. Gilgamesh and Zero Lancer takes the crown of GARness
Mar 7, 2016 12:05 PM

Aug 2014
Z-Dante said:
Snappynator said:

You got it all wrong! UBW Lancer is the best bro.

SodiumChloride said:
Snappynator said:

No way .

Z-Dante said:

You foolish boy .

Read it you heretic .

Fuckin Diarmud ain't got shit on my bro .

He's almost as bad as Karna and his plot armour isn't strong enough to let him survive Gae bolg .
Haven't read Fate/Apocrypha, but damn I would actually love to see him in Umineko, just to see him fight Erika and show a thing or two about being honorable.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 4 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
12 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

32 by Horshu »»
54 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

6 by nishant0 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

20 by Horshu »»
4 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.