Forum Settings
Forums
Ajin: Demi-Human
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2016 10:27 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was quite something.

Started off with some action and Kei soon his normal life turned upside down. The music they used for the transformation scenes was pretty thrilling especially when one of them interrupts the fight. There was minimal to no censorship so glad to see that. Got used to the CGI animation as well. It's not even that bad imo. The Ajin fight at the end was kinda fun to watch. I wonder how faithful the TV series will adapt the movie but I guess they might extend some scenes.
Jan 3, 2016 8:16 AM
Oct 2014
Pretty good
The elements are basically cliches, setting, plot twist, character,etc.
But their execution just pulls you into the story, especially the secind half.
Jan 5, 2016 3:24 AM
Jan 2014
Where i can get sub?
Jan 12, 2016 6:34 PM

Dec 2013
Considering you guys are somehow watching this, this movie is in need of a review by now.
I shall destroy and hate mankind
Jan 13, 2016 3:47 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Can't lie, I'm impressed. The CGI is top notch and the overall story is pretty suspenseful, even if the premise seems cliche or predictable. Hopefully the rest of Ajin ends up being just as good. Also, I'm hoping the TV version adds some new stuff. Gotta read the manga :D. I wasn't expecting it to be an hour and 45 mins. Just waiting for it to be subbed now...

7-8/10
GoldenDevilGamerJan 13, 2016 3:53 PM
Jan 14, 2016 7:09 AM

Mar 2015
Saw first 22 minutes and the execution seems really good. Especially the thriller elements. Though the story was predictable. Animation is laggy at times and looks like a Game but overall the visuals are good. And the sounds too seem appropriate. Especially The revival sound, it was super creepy. Hope it stays consistent.
Jan 14, 2016 11:05 AM

Jan 2014
Much better then I though actually. Also just as a heads up, the story takes a great turn from cliche sooner than later . But for now it's going great.

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Jan 14, 2016 11:37 AM

Jan 2013
the cgi was pretty decent, and the soundtrack hnnng
Jan 14, 2016 5:37 PM

Dec 2013
Wasn't as bad as I expected.
Jan 15, 2016 5:18 AM
Dec 2011
NugrahaD said:
Where i can get sub?

Seems it's out now.
Jan 15, 2016 6:41 AM

Jul 2014
I give this 9/10

Sadly we can't see the torture scenes when he was being experimented in the lab.

Also, Is it just me or Kei looks like he's having a twisted personality and mindset ?

Kaneki ver. 2 ?
Jan 15, 2016 8:51 AM

Aug 2014
Looks like only half the film is translated....
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jan 15, 2016 3:52 PM
Jan 2016
Film is fully translated... at least it is in Spanish, so my guess is that it is already subbed in English, good and thrilling movie tho. 9/10
Jan 15, 2016 9:34 PM

Jan 2014
BlurredVision18 said:
Looks like only half the film is translated....
apparently this was a fan sub some guy did for his friend or something like that.

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Jan 16, 2016 11:09 AM

Jun 2011
Watched in RAW, so I only understood around 85-90%. I think it was pretty good, the CGI is well done, and there is a little bit of suspense. The MC is kinda weird imo, I can't really say if he is a nice guy or not, and we have yet to know why Kaito would help him. It looks like a movie is about 5 episodes, and there are 3 of them. If they last the same time, we will have about 15 episodes. But the second movie is scheduled for 5/16 so we are going to get the episodes before...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2016 1:38 PM

Oct 2013
can someone tell me why is there two parts of the movie ?
both have the same Synopsis..
Jan 18, 2016 5:00 PM

Jan 2008
Not bad at all. Was a little boring at first, but it picked up in the latter half. As for Kei being "trash" I think he's simply a sociopath...at least one who honors a moral code.

I wonder if Kei is going to be blamed by the public for trying to kill the scientist guy after he was dropped off the building. We all know it was to save him and all, but to everyone else it would have looked like an attempted murder.
Estoy_GordoJan 18, 2016 5:08 PM
Jan 18, 2016 7:01 PM

Jan 2015
The art style really turned me off. At least Kei escaped in this part of the movie.
Jan 18, 2016 8:10 PM

Jul 2011
That was brilliant! I'm so glad I didn't spoil myself by reading the manga first.

I love how Nagai was initially frantic, but once he calmed down he was calculating and logical. Yet he's not fearless nor cruel. He's intelligent, but strangely trusting and rather naive. He outwardly/consciously shows concern that he thinks he oughts to have (don't kill the humans!), but he has atypical emotional reactions (ah, whoops, human died). He's apathetic about death and I loved the conversation he had with the torturers ("I haven't forgotten what you did to me"). I definitely see the psychopath traits!

The little surprises here and there were unexpected and awesome:
- Izumi being attacked in the hospital
- Satou's trap/test for Nagai
- Nagai saving his torturers by shooting Satou (wow!), making Satou an enemy
- Nagai's special Ajin (disobeys orders; has its own mind) + Nagai's fight with Satou

I also loved the verisimilitudinous movement of the eyes, expressions (Satou especially) and body. I'm looking forward to the other two movies. <3

Edit:"CG impressed with facial art style faithfulness and fluidity. Better than Sidonia. I wouldn't mind more adaptations by Polygon now. The music/creepy Ajin sound effects were really cool. And the voice cast are all pretty stellar. " - AironicallyHuman
Exactly. I was impressed since I expected something with stiffer movements like Sindona. This studio is probably the CGI flagship of the anime industry, leagues better than the other ones I've seen.
MirorinJun 30, 2016 12:01 AM
Jan 19, 2016 12:10 AM

Aug 2015
Nagai Kei is one of the most difficut-to-understand characters I've ever known. I can't make out his motivations for wanting to save people. He couldn't care less about people, but would rather suffer even torture and literally death in order to save the people he "wants" to save. Does it mean, he also doesn't care about himself? But he does and wants to live in peace. Wow he's such an empty and yet a paradoxical person. Just pride? 'Noblesse Oblige' like how it's explained in the manhwa Noblesse? Or is it the pride of being called a "good person"? Because he's empty--his sister even says he's garbage. Maybe he just cares about this pride of being a "good person", because he's empty and doesn't feel whole with this emptiness. I want to see more character presentation of Kei and how he develops. He intrigues me.

I think Satou-san is an effectively great character. He's scary. XD I love the complexity. And that overpoliteness and show of humility really smelled so fishy it's disturbing it gave me the creeps. XD

Episode 1, the TV series, stunned me I gave it a 10/10. However, this movie revealed to me more of the premise of the story, and the feel and unfolding of the story, and I was a bit less enthusiastic and ebullient. 8/10. I feel that the concept of brutality as part of the plot, especially on the experimentation part, is over the top. (i'm not referring to the gore scenes, in fact i'm quite surprised it didn't show much gore and blood.) I feel that this story arose from the desire to show the brutality that comes from the exploitation of and toying with immortality. I just get that feeling, I'm not saying it is the truth. But the way the anime goes simply gives me that feeling. And there are a lot of philosophical questions this anime wants to ask and present, too. And I'm enjoying this aspect. This anime is a great launching pad for the pondering of these questions. (But it pays to remiember that anime cannot give answers, only opinions.)

As for the animation, there are the good and the bad. Sometimes, I think there's too much toying with the animation because of some unnecessary movements and facial expressions from the characters. Yeah, sometimes, it feels to me like overacting. XD But the CGI also makes the action scenes more lively and realistic.

I think this movie makes me want to read the manga even more. Spoiling the anime doesn't bother me anymore.
蒼穹を舞う。
Jan 19, 2016 1:04 AM

May 2010
Honestly the first episode left me uncertain about the whole thing, but this movie gave me confidence. I never would have thought the kid was a psychopath, but it's a really interesting development that only became progressively obvious over time. I wonder what his rationality is for saving others. Perhaps, as a psychopath, he's just weighing things mathematically. A death is the end while pain is temporary, so he'll endure the pain if no one dies?

I can't tell where the story will go from here, which is great.
Jan 19, 2016 2:55 AM

Apr 2014
damn! mc is awesome. idk why but i liked him
Jan 19, 2016 8:38 AM

Dec 2014
Squirtroll said:
Uhm.. what's the difference between the movie and the tv anime? Are they just the same or what?

yup, just the same
Jan 19, 2016 10:14 AM

Feb 2014
That was actually pretty good. It was like a better version of Tokyo Ghoul.
Jan 19, 2016 11:34 AM

Oct 2008
All the available subs are terrible at this moment, i highly recommend to wait for a proper team to pick it up. And same goes for the series.
Jan 19, 2016 12:21 PM

May 2015
eXtacy67 said:
That was actually pretty good. It was like a better version of Tokyo Ghoul.

I thought the same thing! I enjoyed it. 9/10
Jan 19, 2016 5:28 PM

Sep 2015
I'm so confused. What's the difference between the Movie (3 parter) and the series that just came out?
Jan 20, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2010
They are cheating a little because first 20 minutes was just a copy paste of first episode that already came out and I believe that the next part is the copy of future episoodes as well. (there is a very small chance for that to not happen. If anything this movie follows the manga)

I am really happy to be able to see Satou-san 's greatness this early without waiting to much. This episodes show my favourite part of the manga.

My only complain is that if it wasn't CGI it would be much better but what we got was top notch CGI so I can't complain that much. Even though it's CGI Satou-san 's greatness is Satou-san's greatness!
Jan 20, 2016 5:02 PM

Dec 2015
I just watched a fine recycling of overused elements I thought would bore me. This introduction film was interesting and enough to make me wish to read the manga (only tried a few chapters back when it was released in my country). I will still probably wait for the two next cinema adaptations to have a reason to go through so much CGI.
That is the main drawback of this choice: even if the manga art is not particularly pretty, it is even less so in the anime, thanks to the full CGI realisation. I would have preferred normal computer animation except for the IBM beings.

7/10.

PS: the psychopathic traits of the hero make a good change.
Rei_IIIApr 28, 2020 10:14 AM
Jan 21, 2016 2:37 AM

Mar 2014
CGI is pretty awful comparing to other CGI series of this season
Jan 21, 2016 1:53 PM
Apr 2014
Shitty CGI but they did a good job adapting the content
Satou is the man who carries the series, very fun villain.
I like that MC is smart and doesn't care for others from the get go, him going through torture/emotional loss doesn't change his perception and he stays who he is unlike Kaneki and Shinichi. He doesn't become an edgelord that wants to destroy humanity, he just wants a peaceful life
>Dumps his friend, steals his bike and his phone
That's what you get for being a bro towards this asshole haha.
Hopefully Kai's character gets explored as well in the future and his backstory with his criminal parent.
Drake1000Jan 21, 2016 2:00 PM
Jan 21, 2016 10:53 PM

Sep 2012
That was a really good movie. I didn't think it would be this good but it impressed me instead. I can't wait to watch the series and for the other 2 parts to come out.
Jan 22, 2016 1:42 AM
Aug 2011
koori_no_jin said:
Nagai Kei is one of the most difficut-to-understand characters I've ever known.

Yep, completely agree.
I don't like him and he's a fucking asshole. Somehow seeing him animated/talking tones that down though. Must be the magic of Miyano Mamoru.
I swear he could voice a pile of dung and it'll still be the best thing ever.
Jan 22, 2016 7:59 AM

Feb 2013
Woah Im so glad I decided to watch the Movie instad of waiting every week for a episode of the tv version (that I'll still watch but since I know what will happen I can wait for every episode better)

The OST is amazing and the CGI is good, people who complains and says "shitty CGI" let me tell you "I dont like this type of animation ≠ The CGI sucks"

koori_no_jin said:
Nagai Kei is one of the most difficut-to-understand characters I've ever known. I can't make out his motivations for wanting to save people. He couldn't care less about people, but would rather suffer even torture and literally death in order to save the people he "wants" to save. Does it mean, he also doesn't care about himself? But he does and wants to live in peace. Wow he's such an empty and yet a paradoxical person. Just pride? 'Noblesse Oblige' like how it's explained in the manhwa Noblesse? Or is it the pride of being called a "good person"? Because he's empty--his sister even says he's garbage. Maybe he just cares about this pride of being a "good person", because he's empty and doesn't feel whole with this emptiness. I want to see more character presentation of Kei and how he develops. He intrigues me.

Totally agree with you, now this is how you make an interesting MC.

Jan 22, 2016 11:24 AM

Sep 2014
Have no clue if author made him like this on purpose or he just fucked himself in the head when he was writing, either way I would prefer him to be a violent kind of sociopath.Black things are really cool(red text color on subs when they speak is kinda cool as well).
7/10 and it's just cuz of the "hat" guy, he was awesome.
Will see how the rest turns out.
Jan 22, 2016 1:46 PM
Apr 2014
badwolf45f said:
the CGI is good, people who complains and says "shitty CGI" let me tell you "I dont like this type of animation ≠ The CGI sucks"

>Potato PS2 graphics that moves at 2 fps and almost feels like Lagging
>good
This kind of graphics has been way past, especially considering that this is a freaking movie, Anime should either get with the times or stick to 2D, preferably the later. These cost cutting low production cgi are dreadful.
Drake1000Jan 22, 2016 1:50 PM
Jan 23, 2016 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
ost was so HNGGG GOOD

cant wait for the rest cuz the old dude is just warming up
Jan 30, 2016 7:49 AM

May 2014
People enticing themselves by saying how it is predictable. Bitch please, your life is predictable. You are all going to die someday. THAT'S predictable.
"I'm just your typical human being who commit sins just like you. But the difference is that I never lied and tell anyone that what I did was right. I regret and ask for forgiveness from Him."

Why is my signature not anime-related? It's because who gives a fuck? Anyway I'd like to advertise to you this:

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN IS FOLLOWING A SIMPLE FLOW OF THE STORYLINE. AND IT GETS REPETETIVE IF YOU VIEW IT ON ITS BIGGER PICTURE. WITH A LITTLE PLOT TWIST AND NEW IDEAS, YOU FORGOT THAT IT HAD ALREADY HAPPENED BEFORE.

Also, Tokyo Ghoul is AWESOME. Especially :re.
Feb 3, 2016 1:48 PM

Sep 2014
So after watching current 3 episodes this shows more content (2 episodes ahead i guess )..

Izumi is under such a pressure.. One wrong step and she will end up just like Kei. Which was brutal as hell.. Well At least he escaped..
I wonder how his life will go further , what will be with Kai?

Aand what if you buried An Ajin deep underground ? He probably wouldn't have a way to escape and lie there for ages in the darkness..

Also I wonder what will have more content , anime series or 3 movies or will it be the same amount..?

Sato's position is still not very clear for me..

For this moment this is absolutely my favorite show.
Feb 5, 2016 9:36 AM

Jun 2007
Movie was a lot better than watching the bite-sized TV version, which just doesn't work as well since this project was obviously designed as a movie trilogy rather than TV series. 2.5vols of manga content covered was more than I expected, given TV series still covering v1 with ep4. Deffo want to see movie 2 now--THE PLANE.

CG impressed with facial art style faithfulness and fluidity. Better than Sidonia. I wouldn't mind more adaptations by Polygon now. The music/creepy Ajin sound effects were really cool. And the voice cast are all pretty stellar.

Sato was as awesome as he was in the manga. Glad they kept his death-revival bit (although it was a bit short) and him threatening Kei with headless 'death' viewing.

Best part of the movie:

To the poster saying they're glad they didn't read the manga, you should still read it. The artist has a real cinematic flair to his drawings and, tho the CG represents the facial art well, the best part of the manga is the art style. That and the black comedy humour that has mostly been cut from the movies. Such as this: http://mangafox.me/manga/ajin/v02/c009/28.html

koori_no_jin said:
Nagai Kei is one of the most difficut-to-understand characters I've ever known. I can't make out his motivations

The original writer left after v1 of the manga; just before he torture. The artist then starting writing in his place and went in a less shounen, more psycho-black comedy OTT direction. So, the lead made an awkward transition from Kai-nakama development (Kai not being mentioned again until much later) to a cunning sociopath. That's why his characterisation is initially confusing.
Feb 6, 2016 4:24 PM

Oct 2010
The movie format suited this much better than TV episodes.
AironicallyHuman said:

The original writer left after v1 of the manga; just before he torture... That's why his characterisation is initially confusing.

This explains a lot but tbh the story gets much better the second kai stops showing up.
huh?
Feb 7, 2016 9:49 PM

Nov 2013
That was quite nice watch, pretty good premise and the cgi didn't bother me that much.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 14, 2016 9:11 AM

May 2014
Well, I found this movie interesting. A good summary of the show, or better said a good version of the show since this came before the anime. I don't know if this was also shown in the anime, but I can't remember to see the memory transfer between Takou and Nagai when their ghost headbutt each other. Interesting to know that Takou were the Ajin that were found in Africa. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't know that even after watching the anime. Maybe it weren't in the anime?

But I have to question. Please answer if ya are interested. Was Takou the first experiment sample and Tanaka the second sample? We get to know that Nagai Kei is the 3 one since it's written "003" on the bandage he have around him when they test him for immortality.

My second question (which I also wondered about in the movie) is who is the dead body at the Shrine Takou and Nagai were meeting at for the first time. I believe this were one of them:

Is it the priest Takou were talking about? Well, he loves to kill humans so I wouldn't doubt that he killed him too. To me it look like a female or a girl. So I dunno what a girl would do there. It couldn't be Emiko since it got confirmed later that she still were alive.
mangalicker94Sep 14, 2016 10:12 AM
Sep 27, 2016 3:50 AM

Jun 2016
Pretty good, will watch Ajin series after these movies.
Mar 9, 2018 4:02 PM

May 2013
Tv version is more fleshed out.

Aug 8, 2018 12:51 PM

Feb 2013
I liked this recap, it's been some time since I watched the TV series.
Those experiments were sick, humans are really horrible.
Feb 22, 2019 7:51 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Ulquiorra said:
I liked this recap, it's been some time since I watched the TV series.
Those experiments were sick, humans are really horrible.

Sooo true.
I could immagine they would rly do something like this x_x

Feb 9, 2020 7:21 AM

Jul 2015
Basically the first 6 episodes recapped.

Since I saw the tv series first, It's nice to see the small differences such as in the tv-series there was a kidnapped girl while in this movie there wasn't

Dec 22, 2022 1:29 PM

Nov 2020
I watched te tv series first and it's pretty much same!
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

Feb 3, 2023 4:59 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Not half bad, good recap imo.

More topics from this board

» Are the Ajin movie the same as the anime?

VampireLine - Jun 19, 2016

4 by Haunt-bot »»
Apr 8, 2019 8:37 AM

» Ajim Trilogy Movie Information ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2015

52 by puzzlemaster »»
May 21, 2016 3:15 AM

» Anyone else find the OST amazing?

210125 - Jan 18, 2016

3 by sweaty_spaghetti »»
Jan 19, 2016 8:48 PM

» Why there are two Ajin releases

Saf_99 - Jan 14, 2016

2 by P0K3Me »»
Jan 15, 2016 8:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.