Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2015 9:22 PM

Apr 2014
What are your thoughts on enjoyment? Is it important and how important? Is it merely a bonus? What forms it? Have you rated shows you didn't enjoy high?

For me, the combined elements of the show make enjoyment that is plot+character+sound+art=overall≈enjoyment

I think enjoyment is important to a degree since the purpose of anime is entertainment after all. If the purpose of the anime is enjoyment, then it should be rated on enjoyment.
dissipatedOct 22, 2015 9:30 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 22, 2015 9:23 PM

Apr 2013
There would be no entertainment without enjoyment.

Same as there would be no anime without moe.
Oct 22, 2015 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
It's all about enjoyment. There's almost nothing else for me.

Jun 2015
Isn't enjoyment the main reason we watch anime?

May 2012
It's all subjective.

Aug 2015
Enjoyment is the most important factor imo, why else are you watching anime?
Oct 22, 2015 9:25 PM
Jan 2015
What's the point of watching anime if you don't enjoy it? It's a simple answer, there isn't.
My Queens

Oct 22, 2015 9:41 PM

Sep 2013
Enjoyment is the furthest emotion from understanding.
Oct 22, 2015 9:42 PM

Nov 2012
I can enjoy good and bad anime depending to my perspective while watching it. But to my scoring, I rated it based not solely on enjoyment but on chars, story, art, and music. I rate more on story, char, art, and music respectively.
Oct 22, 2015 9:42 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well, if you dont watch anime for enjoyment thats fuckin sad, imo.
DatRandomDudeOct 22, 2015 9:49 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 22, 2015 9:45 PM
Apr 2014
Is this about enjoyment and ratings? I keep enjoyment out of my ratings.
Oct 22, 2015 9:49 PM

Nov 2012
enjoyment is the most important thing to me and i rate by enjoyment.
Oct 22, 2015 9:54 PM

Oct 2014
I use enjoyment as a part of my rating. If I realise that something is shit but I still enjoyed it then I won't rate it super high but I still won't give it the rating that the quality deserves. For example: Elfen Lied probably deserves a 4 or 5 by quality but I gave it a 7 because I enjoyed it. Additionally, Akira probably deserves a 6 or 7 by quality but I gave it a 5 because I didn't like it. These ratings are not my enjoyment levels, they are a combination of my enjoyment and the actual anime quality. Even if Elfen Lied is a worse anime than Akira I enjoyed it more and that's why I gave it a higher score.
Oct 22, 2015 9:55 PM

Jul 2015
Enjoyment is definitely the most important thing. If you're not enjoying something, what's the point of watching it?
Oct 22, 2015 9:58 PM

Sep 2014
For me it's crucial.
Enjoyment enough isn't gonna get anime a very high score, but it is necessary, if I don't enjoy the anime, it is gonna get a low score.
Oct 22, 2015 10:00 PM

Aug 2014
Anime and enjoyment do not mix well together
Oct 22, 2015 10:03 PM

Sep 2012
If you are talking about enjoyment being the sole reason for ratings then NO. My ratings are based on enjoyment and how memorable the show was.
Oct 22, 2015 10:19 PM

Jul 2013
Why do we even watch anime if it isn't about the entertainment value.
Oct 22, 2015 10:22 PM

Sep 2012
There's something seriously wrong when enjoyment's value in your hobby has to be questioned.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Oct 22, 2015 10:23 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Enjoyment is the sole reason why I watch anime, nothing else.

Therefore my ratings reflect my enjoyment toward the shows.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 22, 2015 10:24 PM

Oct 2014
sadpwner said:

I think enjoyment is important to a degree since the purpose of anime is entertainment after all. If the purpose of the anime is enjoyment, then it should be rated on enjoyment.

You kinda answered your own question. People who say they "never rate based on enjoyment" are trying way too hard to be edgy or are just flat out lying to themselves. Just a little introspection. Would you go around handing out 9s and 10s to something you didn't enjoy? Of course not, no matter how well praised or received or how much validation that show received, if you didn't like it, you wouldn't rate it high.

Now what about things you did enjoy? Would you rate them below 5? Just because I dunno, they are like a "guilty pleasure"? I mean seriously, there is no metric for ratings besides how much you liked it, and how much it impacted you, not someone else, but you.

I actually feel really bad for people who think enjoyment isn't supposed to "be a part of ratings". To me it's just a cry for help seeking validation from others rather than enjoying the medium for what it is.
Oct 22, 2015 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
The problem is that there are different ways of enjoying a show. There are shows that are enjoyable but completely forgettable and then there are shows that are more than just pure fun. Shows that manage to stick with you, teach you something about life, make you go "wow" and realize that this is more than just mere entertainment. That this is something special. That said though I usually still factor my enjoyment and I agree that it should be a pre-requisite but it isn't the sole category that I rate on.
lollithOct 22, 2015 10:29 PM
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Oct 22, 2015 10:37 PM

Oct 2012
Enjoyment is a complex thing which MAL seems to simplify as any positive emotion. I don't put much stock into enjoyment when rating because it's usually a fleeting thing once I start asking myself why I enjoyed something.

Oct 22, 2015 10:48 PM

Feb 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Elfen Lied probably deserves a 4 or 5 by quality but I gave it a 7 because I enjoyed it.

That I can totally understand.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Oct 22, 2015 11:22 PM
Feb 2014
PoeticJustice said:
It's all subjective.
Oct 22, 2015 11:22 PM

Mar 2015
my ratings depend on them.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 22, 2015 11:32 PM

Oct 2013
Gholy said:

I'm going to ask you a legit question here. You gave black bullet a 1, I can't even tell from what you enjoy from what you don't enjoy since you don't include enjoyment in your ratings. -_- but let's assume you enjoy it, but you found the writing to be terrible, and basically everything about it is bad. So if you did found black bullet to be bad overall when you look at it critically, what was the source of your enjoyment then? And I'm talking about legit enjoyment, not the "it's so bad its good" excuse that folks use.

"For me, the combined elements of the show make enjoyment that is
plot+character+sound+art=overall≈enjoyment"

^Op gets it. Enjoyment doesn't come out of thin air folks, their is always a source for the enjoyment, whether its from the characters, story, soundtrack ect. And to op, no. I don't give any series that I didn't enjoy a high score. That's just retarded.
Oct 22, 2015 11:43 PM

Dec 2014
It plays a factor in the score, though, if the show is just badly written with story and characters, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it very much.
Oct 22, 2015 11:46 PM

Apr 2013
- What are your thoughts on enjoyment? Is it important and how important? Is it merely a bonus?
Obviously it's the most important thing, I wouldn't watch anime if I didn't enjoy it.
- What forms it?
Characters, story, art and sound I think.
- Have you rated shows you didn't enjoy high?
No that seems stupid, if I don't enjoy it it'll get a low score.
Oct 22, 2015 11:49 PM

Oct 2014
I wonder just how much different my ratings would be if I rated by enjoyment. Probably some of them would stay the same, but I'm sure it would still change my affinity scores with a lot of people.
Oct 23, 2015 12:31 AM

Oct 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
I use enjoyment as a part of my rating. If I realise that something is shit but I still enjoyed it then I won't rate it super high but I still won't give it the rating that the quality deserves. For example: Elfen Lied probably deserves a 4 or 5 by quality but I gave it a 7 because I enjoyed it. Additionally, Akira probably deserves a 6 or 7 by quality but I gave it a 5 because I didn't like it. These ratings are not my enjoyment levels, they are a combination of my enjoyment and the actual anime quality. Even if Elfen Lied is a worse anime than Akira I enjoyed it more and that's why I gave it a higher score.

I agree with your elfin lied point, this is how I rate my anime as well, with both the enjoyment and quality. But ofcourse enjoyment is top priority in the overall scheme of things, since this is a entertainment medium.

" Elfen Lied is a worse anime than Akira I enjoyed it more and that's why I gave it a higher score."

Eh... I don't agree with this point, I understand where you're getting at, but it really doesn't take a lot for a series to be written better than elfin lied. Its better not to compare, and just look at elfin lied for what it's, not every story is written with the purpose of making it deep, or philosophical, or being thought provoking. If you come with that mind set, then series like those will always loose to those type of series.

So basically akira deserving a 6 or a 7 in your head is a illusion, since you compare it to a series that basically any series can beat it in terms of writing, so yea, the score that you gave it, is what it deserves.

On the otherhand a lot of people think elfin lied is a well written series. So again it comes down to opinion.
Oct 23, 2015 12:45 AM

May 2014
Enjoyment where you watch and finish and anime with out having trumph face
[center] [center]
Oct 23, 2015 12:57 AM

Aug 2014
RedTie47 said:
It's all about enjoyment. There's almost nothing else for me.
Oct 23, 2015 12:58 AM

Sep 2015
I'm sure everyone here watches anime because they enjoy it. But I don't include enjoyment when rating stuff. I have an enjoyment rating and a somewhat analytical rating. However poor my analysis maybe.
Oct 23, 2015 1:00 AM

Oct 2012
keragamming said:
Gholy said:

I'm going to ask you a legit question here. You gave black bullet a 1, I can't even tell from what you enjoy from what you don't enjoy since you don't include enjoyment in your ratings. -_- but let's assume you enjoy it, but you found the writing to be terrible, and basically everything about it is bad. So if you did found black bullet to be bad overall when you look at it critically, what was the source of your enjoyment then? And I'm talking about legit enjoyment, not the "it's so bad its good" excuse that folks use.

^Op gets it. Enjoyment doesn't come out of thin air folks, their is always a source for the enjoyment, whether its from the characters, story, soundtrack ect. And to op, no. I don't give any series that I didn't enjoy a high score. That's just retarded.
I don't see how "It's so bad it's good" is an excuse. It's just an expression that refers to something being unintentionally funny because of how bad it is (like hentai dialogue or the movie The Room). Rating critically (outside of enjoyment) implies that a criteria is being followed, and being unintentionally funny usually isn't something people look for in stories. If I enjoy something outside of the criteria I look for it usually won't be reflected in my overall score because I don't think it's worth that much on a critical level.
ShrabsterOct 23, 2015 1:15 AM

Oct 23, 2015 1:20 AM

Aug 2012
It's important to enjoy an anime ... 'cause if you don't enjoy it, then why the hell are you watching it?! o.O' As for the way I rate anime ... my ratings are 'generally' based on the overall average of Plot, Animation, Sound, Characters, and Enjoyment. My 10 ratings though are my complete bias opinion and how I tend to sometimes add an extra point or two beause of how much I enjoyed something.
Oct 23, 2015 1:30 AM

Jul 2013
It's very important for me, as the reason why I watch anime is to have fun.
Oct 23, 2015 1:33 AM

Feb 2015
Enjoyment can bring up score by 2-5 digits alone in my case.

But it also can completely ruin score down the nothing if i dont enjoy at all.
Oct 23, 2015 1:43 AM

May 2015
Enjoyment means nothing. What's enjoyment?

Enjoyment is the sum of all the anime's traits - characters, story, themes, structure, pacing, soundtrack, art style, animation. You don't rate on enjoyment. Enjoyment is simply the final conclusion. You enjoy based on how you evaluated the traits of the anime.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 23, 2015 1:48 AM

Feb 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Enjoyment is the sum of all the anime's traits - characters, story, themes, structure, pacing, soundtrack, art style, animation. You don't rate on enjoyment. Enjoyment is simply the final conclusion. You enjoy based on how you evaluated the traits of the anime.

No you can rate on enjoyment even if you dont analyze nothing from what you watched(i dont do that though you would need to completely turn off your thoughts to do that), it is just personal internal feel you just cant lie about (or at least thats what i think real enjoyment comes from).

Pacing alone can make some series more enjoyable or less if it drags on forever .
ExowaveOct 23, 2015 1:55 AM
Oct 23, 2015 2:00 AM

May 2013
Enjoyment is everything you liked and disliked about the Anime combined. Whatever you like adds to it and whatever you don't like subtracts from it. This includes animation, art, sound, characters, plot, etc.
Oct 23, 2015 2:59 AM

Jul 2014
sadpwner said:
What are your thoughts on enjoyment? Is it important and how important? Is it merely a bonus?

One of the most important aspect of a series, on par with memorability and fondness that developed over the years, and appreciation for its concept/story.

sadpwner said:
What forms it?

I think every aspect of a series influence enjoyment. Enjoyment is how all the elements of the series are converted to the level of satisfaction you draw from it.

sadpwner said:
Have you rated shows you didn't enjoy high?

If they have no major compensative elements in the story or in the vibe, it can't get past the 5 mark.

Then there are several specific cases.
For example, Sarai-ya Goyou had a very intriguing storyline and art style, but it somehow failed to completely grab my attention, and it didn't left much of an impression over time. I rated it 6.
Both seasons of GitS: SaC had an horrible main story imo. But I loved all the episodic parts and the characters, and it left a very good memory. I rated it 7.

I think those are my most controversial ratings, I usually rate 6+ only the series that I fully enjoyed in all their parts and that also stand the test of time.
Aria-da-CapoOct 23, 2015 3:08 AM
Oct 23, 2015 5:17 AM

Nov 2014
sadpwner said:
What are your thoughts on enjoyment? Is it important and how important? Is it merely a bonus? What forms it? Have you rated shows you didn't enjoy high?

For me, the combined elements of the show make enjoyment that is plot+character+sound+art=overall≈enjoyment

About the enjoyment, ofc it's important.. I think it's the most important things since i watch anime for enjoyment..

Like one poster above said

keragamming said:

Enjoyment doesn't come out of thin air folks, their is always a source for the enjoyment, whether its from the characters, story, soundtrack ect.

as for the last question.. Ofc no.. If i don't enjoy the show then there's no reason for me to give it a high score..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Oct 23, 2015 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
There is probably no entertainment without enjoyment.

But I don't rate anime from the principle (I personally see no point).
Because anything can have a certain appeals for some, if not for me.
Oct 23, 2015 2:04 PM

Feb 2015
Why would you watch anime if you didn't enjoy it
Oct 23, 2015 3:02 PM

Aug 2014
If I enjoy something it's good in my eyes. There are many ways of deriving enjoyment from anime though.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 23, 2015 3:59 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It all comes down to enjoyment in the end. Let's not lie to ourselves here, folks. So perhaps it's the most important thing.
Oct 23, 2015 4:20 PM

Oct 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:

Lol, I used to think that until I watched Angel Beats. Angel Beats was a show that I realized had mountains of flaws within its story and characters. But no matter how much I knew that this show was terrible on a critical level. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the show immensely. This and many other examples would make your argument invalid. It is still possible to enjoy a show even if the show isn't good on a critical level.
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Oct 23, 2015 4:35 PM

Nov 2014
Enjoyment is the most important for me but just because I enjoy a anime does not mean I think its Critically good or great. Sometimes I put them on the Guilty pleasure category if I think it has many flaws on its writing.

One example that I enjoyed a lot but admits is not critically great when it comes to its writing and execution is Fate/stay Night:UBW.
Oct 23, 2015 4:37 PM

Feb 2010
Yes enjoyment is important. Good things are more enjoyable than bad things though. There's also genre bias influencing enjoyment. Rating only by 'enjoyment' and implying nothing else matters is retarded, because enjoyment is just the endresult, not the reason why something is good.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 8 hours ago

14 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Let's Hope the Whole "Girls Golfing" Is A New Thing That Keeps Going...

simonitro - 2 hours ago

3 by Fluffygreygrass »»
15 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 3 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 3 hours ago

6 by yozora82 »»
17 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 4 hours ago

12 by Spunkert »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.