New
Yes moe or no moe?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 5, 2015 6:25 AM

Nov 2010
For good moe, against bad moe.
Oct 5, 2015 6:32 AM

Aug 2014
Depends on the series and use of moe. Sometimes it has its place and sometimes it doesn't.
Oct 5, 2015 6:40 AM

Apr 2013
I kind of got into anime because I found the moe artstyle appealing... So its really important to me xD I would probably quit anime if moe disappeared.
Oct 5, 2015 6:46 AM

Sep 2012
This thread reinvigorated my hatred for the word "moe".
Oct 5, 2015 6:49 AM

Sep 2014
Why would I be 'against' it? lol?

even IF i disliked a genre, what's the reason for that? are there also people 'against' mecha? or fantasy? xD
Oct 5, 2015 7:01 AM

Nov 2014
Everything in excess is bad.
Oct 5, 2015 7:15 AM
Dec 2013
A mixture. I'm not too fond of moe in violent anime, but I'm okay with it in non-violent anime.
Oct 5, 2015 7:16 AM

Jan 2013
The eradication of moe would be perfect for anime
Oct 5, 2015 7:20 AM

Jun 2015
I don't mind MOE in moderation, but only in moderation and only when appropriate for both the characters and the story.
Oct 5, 2015 7:21 AM

Apr 2015
If moe ceased to exist, I wouldn't be affected.
Oct 5, 2015 7:28 AM

Feb 2015
For lulz
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Oct 5, 2015 7:29 AM

Nov 2012
Klad said:
The eradication of moe would be perfect for anime

And why is that?
Oct 5, 2015 7:48 AM

Jun 2015
hoopla123 said:
There would be no anime without moe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2015 7:48 AM
Dec 2012
Moe is a feeling of love, infatuation or excitement the viewer has towards a character, and it has the potential to "exist" in any work, including ones made before the terms otaku and moe even existed. It is not possible to make moe go away.

Moe is also a general preoccupation with bishoujo characters, and as such it has always been part of otaku culture. Why do manga/anime like Gunbuster, Gunsmith Cats, Burn Up, Dominion Tank Police, Patlabor, Dirty Pair and Bubblegum Crisis have one or more young women as the main characters? Manga/anime has trended towards younger characters since then, but the basic idea remains the same. However, a work that's full of bishoujo characters isn't necessarily driven by moe nor does the author necessarily consider him/herself an otaku. If Kiki's Delivery Service was turned into a late night show with only the minimum amount of changes, people not familiar with Kiki would condemn it as otaku-pandering moepedoshit that's killing the industry, guaranteed. On the other hand if you introduced Kiki to them as the work of the great filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki, they would be singing a very different tune. Kiki isn't that different from shows like Natsuiro Kiseki and Non Non Biyori. And I don't know what motivated their authors and what they think about moe or otaku.

Manga/shows like K-On, Hidamari Sketch, Yuru Yuri and Love Live also have their roots in pre-war Japan. The major difference is that girls were the audience then, and now it's mostly men.

Moe could be considered a genre, but the definition is very specific, and determining whether a show is in the moe genre requires more knowledge, consideration and rationality than most people are capable of possessing, so it should not be attempted by amateurs. And in general the obsession with labeling things just prevents people from seeing them for what they really are. Girls und Panzer is commonly condemned as a "moe" show, but it's actually a pretty traditional underdog sports story. Hibike and Tari Tari are often thrown together in the same category as K-On even though they're dramas.
Oct 5, 2015 7:50 AM

Aug 2015
Moe, is really something, that I really like in anime lol xD. Would be sad if they remove it.

Oct 5, 2015 8:08 AM

Nov 2009
2weeaboo4u said:
However, a work that's full of bishoujo characters isn't necessarily driven by moe nor does the author necessarily consider him/herself an otaku. If Kiki's Delivery Service was turned into a late night show with only the minimum amount of changes, people not familiar with Kiki would condemn it as otaku-pandering moepedoshit that's killing the industry, guaranteed. On the other hand if you introduced Kiki to them as the work of the great filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki, they would be singing a very different tune. Kiki isn't that different from shows like Natsuiro Kiseki and Non Non Biyori. And I don't know what motivated their authors and what they think about moe or otaku.

Don't know what Hayao Miyazaki thinks about otaku, but his female leads were meant to be moe, and are moe. Even if the term didn't exist back when they were created.
Moe isn't just for hardcore otaku, it's one of the things easily accessible to outsiders.
Oct 5, 2015 8:09 AM

Nov 2014
Moe is a blight upon humanity. It must be destroyed.
Oct 5, 2015 8:28 AM

May 2015
Cuteness is good. Cute things are good because cuteness is a desirable quality.

Yes, some shows overdo it. Charlotte has two attempts for cuteness which feel hackneyed. Overall, though when it fits it's a lot of fun.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 5, 2015 9:13 AM

Mar 2015
is itonly me that don't care that much?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 5, 2015 9:14 AM

Feb 2010
Bacardi-x-Cola said:
hoopla123 said:

Really? Barefoot Gen, Kanashimi no Belladonna, & Astro Boy wouldn't be here if it wasn't for shitty moe culture? Fuck outta here.

Astro Boy/Tezuka started it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 5, 2015 9:40 AM
Feb 2014
Moe is subjective.

Yes.
Oct 5, 2015 11:07 AM

Sep 2015
Moe is so cute. You can't say no to that! :3
Oct 5, 2015 11:13 AM

Jun 2014
Caelidesu said:
For lulz

You could stab someone with those mode-fied chins.

Get the joke. xD
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 5, 2015 4:43 PM

Oct 2014
Gryffindor wins!

Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Oct 5, 2015 4:48 PM

Apr 2014
I'm fine with cute anime girls. I mean, Guts is a beautiful man and all but I can't stare at him all day long. Well, I can and have, but I also like to take days off from that sometimes.

The cold truth of it though, is that while it's nice to have cutesy shows, it would be better if a higher % of anime were more serious.
Oct 5, 2015 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
badwolf45f said:
SeibaaHomu said:
Where's the 'I don't care' option?

This.
I don't see anything wrong with it other than 18 year olds looking like 13 yr olds.
Oct 5, 2015 4:51 PM

Oct 2013
defo no, moe and idols are killing anime
Oct 5, 2015 4:52 PM

Apr 2013
-Mahesvara said:
Yes.

Oh god, my heart can't take such greatness.

Bacardi-x-Cola said:
hoopla123 said:

Really? Barefoot Gen, Kanashimi no Belladonna, & Astro Boy wouldn't be here if it wasn't for shitty moe culture? Fuck outta here.

Astro Boy is moe as fuck m8. Fuck outta here.
Oct 5, 2015 5:07 PM
Dec 2012
NewAgeJobber said:
I don't see anything wrong with it other than 18 year olds looking like 13 yr olds.

They're anime characters, not real people. Not even the 18 year old characters look like real 18 year old girls.

GEO9875 said:
defo no, moe and idols are killing anime

No, they are not.
Oct 5, 2015 5:25 PM
Dec 2012
galimx said:
Yeah, cuz all the 18 years old are and look the same LOL. /s I really doubt you even know how 18 years old girls look and act in real life.

Do you often meet girls who have natural green hair, huge purple eyes and almost no nose?
Oct 5, 2015 5:35 PM
Dec 2012
galimx said:
Yeah almost everyday. What about you? Why so serious? We are on internet bro. Relax. Your sarcasm detector is broken.

You indicated that the first sentence is sarcasm, but you didn't indicate it for the second sentence.
Oct 5, 2015 5:38 PM

Aug 2012
The only ''moe'' thing I liked was K-ON, nothing else.
Oct 5, 2015 6:18 PM

Apr 2015
Gakkougurashi's artstyle, mixed with other things made me drop it. So I don't really know what show's are considered moe, unless the look like Gakkougurashi! I mean I don't drop show's because they are old, or have "bad/outdated" art styles, but when it's super moe, I have no interest. I don't really find watching "cute" little girls doing stupid stuff entertaining. On top of that I don't find it cute to begin with 99% of the time.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Oct 5, 2015 8:05 PM

Oct 2013
Let's see, over the last few years I've watched Non Non Biyori, Kinmoza, Gochusa, GuP, Barakamon, to name a few. I like moe quite alot, but also like older styles and more 'stark' facial types also. It depends on the series, but yes to moe.
Oct 5, 2015 8:06 PM

Jul 2015
Oct 5, 2015 9:51 PM

May 2015
I actually don't care. I don't like or watch moe myself but a lot of people seem to like it so why not :D?
This is it!, are you ready?
Oct 6, 2015 12:08 AM

Oct 2014
There should be a vote option for not caring. I really don't care about moe. I'm not for or against it.
アル晴レタ日ノ事
魔法以上のユカイが 
限りなく降りそそぐ 不可能じゃないわ
Oct 6, 2015 12:13 AM

Aug 2014
I need my daily dosis moe so hell yeah!
Oct 6, 2015 1:12 AM

Dec 2012
Inocentz said:
There should be a vote option for not caring. I really don't care about moe. I'm not for or against it.
An option for not caring is not even posting. "I don't care someone please notice my apathy!"

@ Topic - Moe is that tender slice of everything right with this world. It humanizes my troubled, weary soul. It is my home away from home. No man can object to this, only a warped and malcontent beast -

Oct 6, 2015 1:46 AM
May 2014
Moe isn't made- it's found. It's so subjective that people will still find moe in Graves of the Fireflies.
Oct 6, 2015 2:56 AM

Feb 2013
mayukachan said:
Pro-male moe.

Yaaaaaaay!
Oct 6, 2015 2:59 AM

Apr 2014
badwolf45f said:
SeibaaHomu said:
Where's the 'I don't care' option?

If you're not against us you're with us! McCarthyism says so.
dissipatedOct 6, 2015 3:10 AM
Oct 6, 2015 8:02 AM
May 2015
It depends.

Firstly Moe-influenced art style doesn't bother me too much provided its well drawn and everything else holds up. Take Madoka Magica, its fine used as an art style in that example. That said, large eyes in something like Clannad is a turn off, I find them strange looking.

It becomes more problematic when we are applying Moe to characterisation. This thing about Moe characters being designed to appeal to a desire to protect is presented as a positive, but I don't think it really is, especially when you look at the characters themselves.

Collete Bennett of Japanator once described moe as "A fear of adult women and adult relationships."

This can easily be applied to a lot of moe characterisation where the female character is emotionally and intellectually stunted and as such designed to inspire this "feeling of wanting to protect" thing people talk about when discussing Moe. It's as though its drawing into this fantasy where the woman is intellectually and emotionally weak, it creates a need and dependancy on the man.

Not only is this feeding into an unhealthy way to view women (its very subservient) but it also comes across as kind of creepy.

When its doing that, then I dislike it. If the character acts kind of cute every now and then, it doesn't bother me too much.

I wonder and the only way to really prove it would be if one of these characters, mid way through a series was to stake claim to their independence, demonstrate independent enterprise, intelligence and take absolute control over their lives and possibly tell the main love interest/male character who is acting as their "protector" to back off because they want to do things for themselves and can look after themselves... pointing out that their assistance will be provided on their own terms. How would moe fans who talk about this feeling to protect react to her? Would they be behind that? Would they still like her as much? Would they see her as horrible and unreasonable?

FizixOct 6, 2015 8:11 AM
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Oct 6, 2015 8:18 AM

Aug 2014
Moe is the cancer KILLING the industry.
Oct 6, 2015 8:46 AM

Aug 2013
DreamingBeats said:
depends on the series. it's perfectly fine in a CGDCT type of series, but not in a more serious series.

Kuruwin said:
Well i don't have a problem with moe when it's used on moderation but when characters are constantly just screaming kawai! it's obnoxious. Lot of moe also feels too forced.
Oct 6, 2015 8:51 AM

Nov 2014
Moe is fine. Even though I only like 2 moe characters that are older than they look.
Oct 6, 2015 9:05 AM

Aug 2015
idc
Oct 6, 2015 9:50 AM

Apr 2015
No moe=I quit animu
Oct 6, 2015 10:33 AM
Dec 2012
Fizix said:
Firstly Moe-influenced art style doesn't bother me too much provided its well drawn and everything else holds up. Take Madoka Magica, its fine used as an art style in that example. That said, large eyes in something like Clannad is a turn off, I find them strange looking.

This is Minky Momo, a magical girl anime from 1991. The term moe didn't exist then, and the moe boom in anime was over a decade away. Madoka doesn't have moe character design, it has cute character design. There isn't such a thing as moe character design.

It becomes more problematic when we are applying Moe to characterisation. This thing about Moe characters being designed to appeal to a desire to protect is presented as a positive, but I don't think it really is, especially when you look at the characters themselves.

Moe isn't something intrinsic to a character, it's a response the viewer has towards a character. The character could be anyone and the response could be based on anything. Many popular characters like Haruhi, Saber, Asuka, Marisa, Makoto (Idolmaster), Rin (Idolmaster CG), Hestia and Kurisu aren't characterized as weak, vulnerable, or stunted. Works with many female characters such as Touhou, Idolmaster, KanColle, Love Live, Girlfriend, Hidamari Sketch and Kiniro Mosaic have different kinds of characters that appeal to different people. If all the characters were intellectually and emotionally weak, the story and character interaction would suffer badly and sales would be dependent on only people who like that character type... but since the story and character interaction would be lousy, they probably wouldn't be interested.

However, what exactly do you mean by intellectually and emotionally weak characters? What would be examples of such characters?

I wonder and the only way to really prove it would be if one of these characters, mid way through a series was to stake claim to their independence, demonstrate independent enterprise, intelligence and take absolute control over their lives and possibly tell the main love interest/male character who is acting as their "protector" to back off because they want to do things for themselves and can look after themselves... pointing out that their assistance will be provided on their own terms. How would moe fans who talk about this feeling to protect react to her? Would they be behind that? Would they still like her as much? Would they see her as horrible and unreasonable?

The Japanese really couldn't care less about your feminist social experiments (which, like all feminist ideas, are based on faulty premises).

Hirshwell said:
Moe is the cancer KILLING the industry.

No it isn't.
Oct 6, 2015 4:01 PM

Oct 2010
Fizix said:

The girls of K-On! look quite self-confident, independent and well-functioning if you ask me. They do whatever they want to.

Moe being associated with vulnerable characters is some kind of absurd, but I love it because it means that virtually any CGDCT SOL show will be instantly excluded from this boring and overused buzzword.
jal90Oct 6, 2015 4:04 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - May 4

40 by Nemo_Niemand »»
4 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - 21 minutes ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you take screenshots of Anime

ST63LTH - 7 hours ago

27 by Rinrinka »»
10 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 28

59 by DefeatingMe »»
14 minutes ago

» If Anime dies in the future, what would be the likely cause?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

14 by RobertBobert »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.