Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Oct 30, 2017 1:46 PM
Jun 2013
ichii_1 said:
souledge94 said:

no they are not. the show presents itself to us as Its still a video game world and our MC knows this. These are nothing but bits of codding. Thats why they are still called NPC's. If someone dies they can be easily be brought back but its not done cause again its a waste since they are NPC's and it may attract unwanted NPC's.

He already tested it and they aren't in a game, he was transported to another world.

there is never a point in the show that he says hes in another world. He knows hes in a game.The whole plot to this show him trying to find another living player. Thats why hes trying to spread his guilds name far and wide so someone whos actually a person will notice him. This is why he is keeps saying stuff like NPC and such.
Nov 22, 2017 8:56 AM

May 2016
Damn it another cliffhanger I hate this.
Nov 24, 2017 2:11 AM

Sep 2013
kyled00m said:
Momentary said:
The fight against shalltear was interesting - so ainz is an item shopper. That game is unbalanced because one can win simply by investing.
So many things wrong with that statement... Are you sure you were watching the same anime as me?

In the anime, and the Light Novel, Albedo mentions the NPCs official plan to defeat Shalltear is to attack her in waves, utilizing every other floor guardian, apart from Gargantua and Victim (4th & 8th floor guardians). Only after all the other floor guardian had attacked would they beat Shalltear.

Cocytus, Aura, Mare, Demiurge, and Albedo fall into the typical MMORPG elite dungeon boss monster category. Shalltear is significantly stronger than them all on her own so she falls into a elite hidden dungeon boss monster category. In the YGGDRASIL game world, no matter how hard Momonga tried, with any number of CA$H Shop items available to him, he would not be able to win against any of Cocytus, Aura, Mare, Demiurge, or Albedo, let alone Shalltear.

Keep in mind what Momonga said, that his plan would have failed had his psychology or bluffs failed to entice Shalltear to waste her skills early on. He won because it was the real world that the NPC-minded Shalltear didn't comprehend.

"Are you sure you were watching the same anime as me?"

Proceeds to talk about stuff only a LN reader would know.

"In the YGGDRASIL game world...."

But this isn't the YGGDRASIL game world.

Dominick_Destine said:

That's really interesting... I really wish they had explained that in the show because the more I read about it the more I want to see more. It's like the director just glossed over the best parts and thought "Fuck it, cute designs, semi-self insert video-game protag, that's good enough right?" because I didn't get that at all, it didn't feel like Shalltear was any stronger or weaker than the rest of the guardians. If they had built it up that she was apparently insanely strong it would have been even more interesting.

It's explained in the LN, so they don't have to do it in the anime. /sarcasm
TorribleNov 24, 2017 2:19 AM
Nov 26, 2017 1:06 AM

Apr 2009
Everything went according to his plan, well good for him.

It seems the Slane Theocracy is the real threat to their existence.

T'was entertaining enough for me. 8/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 5, 2017 11:15 PM

Dec 2015
Torrible said:

It's explained in the LN, so they don't have to do it in the anime. /sarcasm

I started reading the light novel precisely because of this thread.

They left out so much... so many things would have made Overlord one of the greatest anime of all time. I didn't understand the dimensions or significance of how Nazarick was distributed. I didn't understand how proportionally weak a lot of the NPCs were (Ex: The whole of the Pleiades is weaker than a single guardian, I didn't get this impression at all), I didn't even know how amazing Pandora's Actor was ... and he was already my favorite from his only scene in the show , lol.

Damn, I hope season 2 adapts things more faithfully and hopefully has 24 episodes so we can reach Men of the Kingdom and then..... even better. But yeah I'm really looking forward to the massive battles that were implied by Albedo's "Lizardmen" line in the final episode of the show.

Anyway, what is really sad is, what you (the person I'm quoting) said about "It's in the light novel, we don't have to explain it" is probably what the producers actually, legitimately thought, sigh.
Dec 5, 2017 11:19 PM

Dec 2015
ogorhan said:
Just before Ainz defeated shaltear, something or someone's eye appeared behind her, does anyone know who it is?

I didn't see a response to your question but... in the anime, we see Aura using one of her breath skills which implies she paralyzed or taunted Shalltear.

In the light novel, it is made much more explicit that it is indeed Aura using some sort of disruption skill.

This is super unclear in the anime because I myself initially assumed that when Ainz cracked the hourglass, that caused Shalltear some sort of paralysis.... and then when he broke it, it made Fallen Down cast instantly. This is probably because I play League of Legends where Hourglass = Stasis..... but my point is, Ainz hesitates from using the instant-cast item because he doesn't want to kill Shalltear, Aura realizes that Ainz is about to die so she breath-stuns Shalltear, giving Ainz enough time to compose himself and crack the hourglass, releasing the Fallen Down skill which kills Shalltear.

This actually is all shown in the anime, but conveyed very poorly, in my opinion...

And i wish he can shut up and stop talking like an utter beta during inner monologues.

Ainz says in the anime that he feels he has changed both physically and mentally, what he doesn't say is that this process is actually advancing gradually.

Notice how his internal monologues became less and less beta and more alpha as the show progresses. This is a classic "Becoming the mask" trope and for me, was one of the best parts of Overlord.
Dominick_DestineDec 5, 2017 11:24 PM
Dec 21, 2017 12:24 AM

Dec 2016
I should've never doubted Momonga's fighting skills/knowledge and man am I glad that I binged this so now I'm pumped for Season 2!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 1, 2018 3:52 AM
Jan 2018
Really good episode and series. I am surprised no one has mentioned that one of the twins helped Ains win this battle...If he/she didn't distract Shalltear with the big eye (confirmed with with the swirl of air coming from his/her mouth when the other twin asked if they did something), Ains would have been in trouble as he was a bit too slow to use the last item and could have lost. I would say this is a big deal as they were given orders not to interfere. Looking forward to the next season.
Jan 2, 2018 3:22 PM

Jun 2012
This anime was actually amazing...

By far one of the best if not the best MMO anime ever created.

Literally opened my eyes and expanded my horizons into trying Anime that don't have some TYPE of human as the MC.

And it's so so hilarious how they added "cash shop items" into this. LOL. Absolutely hilarious.

Not only was it for (im guessing) some sort of comedic relief but it also gave the show a mmorpg esque feel again.

9/10 overall.
Jan 3, 2018 12:05 AM
Dec 2016
FallenUndead said:
I think the anime did it's job and made people jump to the LN, if only I had that choice as well...
But the anime was awesome, yes it was slow but what isn't these days...The fight's made up for it and the gore also added to that, like the end fight, he took her arm off and that was brutal.
I can't really say I disliked any of the character's, I mean what we saw of them they were all awesome, including the best girl of the year..BEST GIRL OF THE YEAR HANDS-DOWNS

I cannot wait for season 2
9/10 from me

you can read it online for free
Jan 3, 2018 10:03 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, this was some show in short! For the first few episodes, I thought this show was going to be one of my top 10 favorites but, by the end of the show, I’m not too sure about that. Definitely in my top 15 though.

Pacing of this show felt very odd and out of place especially towards the end. Many things here and there started to feel displaced, and so the Storyline too took the effect as such. Characterization/Character Development of the show wasn’t all that much, but it works in favor of this show since this enjoyable cast of Characters surely intrigues one. Animation and Sound Department, on the other hand, were great throughout the show so no complaints there.

About this very episode though, there was more talking than action but I didn’t particularly mind that all that bit. However, it was obvious that a few things were omitted from the light novel source for this episode, particularly with Aura’s interference with that creepy head popping up out of the blue to paralyze Shalltear. Moving on, I loved the way Shalltear was welcomed back and Lord Ains taking the blame upon himself as the Leader. I just really loved his character throughout this show, and especially his monologues. Very relatable person, or so it gives off this vibe. Ending of the show was pretty cool though and I’m curious to see who’s behind all this revolting against the great Lord Ains. Ending with a cliffhanger, however, I’m not a fan of but since there’s a sequel which is currently airing, there’s no issues there for me.

As such, my final impressions of this show include
- Storyline/Plot Developments: 6/10
- Characterization/Character Developments: 8.5/10
- Art/Animation: 9/10
- Sound Department: 8/10
- Personal Enjoyment: 9/10

-> Overall: 7.8/10.
Definitely going to watch the sequel, Overlord II, and I have high hopes that the pacing will this time be an appropriate rate. If so, I’m sure this will be simply Great!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 8, 2018 9:39 PM

Nov 2016
somewhat half baked, was kind of expecting a more complete lore, should happen during the 2nd season IMHO. i like these kinds of stuff where the player revolves around the world and not the other way around, like log horizon.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Jan 9, 2018 9:03 AM

Mar 2010
I liked it, as a mmorpg player for like forever I saw alot of things that really does happens in mmo, still some left unspoken and not properly explained... gonna watch the 2nd season right now
9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2018 2:52 PM

Sep 2013
Maybe it's because i've even getting into an MMO lately, but that was surprisingly decent.
I was turned off by Albedo when this was airing, but it seems it was unjustified.... slgihtly.
I find it amusing that a lot of fan-servicey anime, which I opted not to watch whilst airing are surprisingly enjoyable when I do watch them.
Either I am a filthy cake-lover who enjoys food for the masses, or maybe I should always have low expectations, so when I watch it, I'll have a higher evaluation...
Feb 17, 2018 11:39 AM

Aug 2013
Action and fantasy in nowadays shows are outstandingly disappointing.
6/10
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Mar 13, 2018 2:45 PM
Jun 2016
It's was really enjoyable for me in fact it was great people usually don't see great work and art but if u do see u have an eye.for those who plays mmorpg games will see the works that actually got putted In.
Apr 6, 2018 11:09 AM

Sep 2011
Show they showed the 2 ugliest things in MMORPG.

1. The disguising your equipments on PvP.
2. And of course, the cash items! (Pay2Win)

Apr 18, 2018 12:17 PM

Feb 2013
Shalltear is back!
Time to get revenge.
Aug 8, 2018 3:31 PM

Sep 2010
Decided to give this series a second chance after putting it off for years. Better than I originally thought.
Sep 11, 2018 1:05 PM

Nov 2016
All in all it was pretty alright.

And this final had some good exposition, looking forward to rest.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2018 10:46 AM

Aug 2017
The battle was much better than the previous episode. So, Shalltear was killed and revived. Everything to take the brainwashing away. It seems that the Slane Theocracy is behind this.

Overall, it was a decent show. I was expecting something much worse and overrated garbage but, at least, the first season is watchable. 6/10 for the anime.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 25, 2018 11:18 AM

Dec 2014
yes that was a beautiful end..hmmm truly magnificient
Nov 11, 2018 3:22 PM
Aug 2018
I liked the finale, but it could've been better
Feb 4, 2019 9:20 AM

Sep 2013
I really enjoyed that the 'bad' guy was the main character and everything up until the last arc was great.

I can see myself really liking this series but i might have to continue it with the LN, it felt like a fair bit was missing from the anime.
Jun 8, 2019 9:30 AM

Mar 2018
I wonder what would've happened if Aura didn't interrupt Shalltear?

Liking the concept of the show, on to the next season.
Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
Jun 29, 2019 8:43 AM

Sep 2012
Shalltear when she woke up on anzis arms 😂😂😂

Lusbox said:
I really enjoyed that the 'bad' guy was the main character and everything up until the last arc was great.

I can see myself really liking this series but i might have to continue it with the LN, it felt like a fair bit was missing from the anime.

more like anti-hero then bad guy

EDIT:
souledge94 said:
ichii_1 said:

He already tested it and they aren't in a game, he was transported to another world.

there is never a point in the show that he says hes in another world. He knows hes in a game.The whole plot to this show him trying to find another living player. Thats why hes trying to spread his guilds name far and wide so someone whos actually a person will notice him. This is why he is keeps saying stuff like NPC and such.

Ainz has stated that even hes NPC's have become real after he woke, but forgot in witch season he had this inner monolog

i know truth is sometimes hard to accept

even author calls them real not NPC's
https://overlordmaruyama.fandom.com/wiki/New_World
just says they are humans but not Homo sapiens sins they gain lvl unlike Ainz world

author had made it clear its Alt reality (not virtual reality) with its own real ppl

@ichii_1

did little recherché, seems he did none

Sugram22Apr 22, 2021 4:16 AM
Jul 24, 2019 6:18 PM

Jul 2014
I'm surprised that I actually thought this show was pretty good. This is the first isekai anime I actually liked.
Nov 22, 2019 4:35 AM

Sep 2012
D-ohnuts said:
I'm surprised that I actually thought this show was pretty good. This is the first isekai anime I actually liked.

do u know this1?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37430/Tensei_shitara_Slime_Datta_Ken?q=slime

and this?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/14833/Maoyuu_Maou_Yuusha

both good, but second1 less

also log horizon
Sugram22Nov 22, 2019 11:18 AM
May 17, 2020 8:40 AM

May 2020
I like this fight. This Shaltear mode is better than she is in vampire mode. And still so much mystery unspoken. This is cool series, I'll start to marathon
May 18, 2020 4:32 PM
Apr 2020
(I'll try my best todo explain my opinion properly since I'm not very fluent in English)

Even dough it was an amazing battle and in my opinion the second best so far( temp3 finished) I thing they nerfed too much, our Lord and God, momonga-sama. I understand that it's not very interesting to see a battle without equality (in terms of Hability) but I really think that he should have won more easily that battle. Or at least say that momonga sama wasn't fighting with all his power.

I might be wrong and I will probably change my opinion whenever I will finish Overlord. But anyway I can't give a 5/5 to this episode.

Tl;tr great battle but momonga not enough powerful.

Glory to the great tomb of nazaric.
Sep 30, 2020 3:36 PM

May 2015
I never get sick of re-watching this series. ITS SO GOOD!!!! The world building in this is so good that it really makes me want to learn everything about the world. The fact that a lot of stuff is ambiguous as well makes it interesting like who the true enemy of Ainz is etc.

Well, time to move onto re-watching season 2. The fun will continue.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 27, 2021 7:45 AM
Jun 2014
How were Nphirea's eyes healed?

Mar 31, 2021 12:43 PM

Jul 2015
Honestly, my expectations were way higher before watching this anime. Sadly, it couldn't live up to my expectations at all. Final battle and ending sequence of the episode were decent but even they couldn't save this series from becoming an overrated isekai show in my view. 6/10 for me. I don't even have the will to watch the sequels of this series.
Aug 21, 2021 11:23 AM

Jun 2016
Ainz defeated Shalltear with a little help, of course. 500 million to resurrect her tho, talk about steep prices.

Seems that Madhouse set up everything for a 2nd season, which they ultimately got (and a 3rd and soon a 4th season too). That's all well and good, but honestly, I didn't actually like this show that much. I'm still gonna watch the next 2 seasons. Maybe it'll get much better. Here's hoping.

Aug 26, 2021 6:55 AM
Apr 2020
Pretty good overall. But I don't think I'm interested in watching sequels of this.
It did somewhat met my expectations, but its still a very forgettable anime.
"Who am I ? Where do I come from ? Where am I going ? That's all I want to think about"
-Saikawa Sohei
May 8, 2022 4:01 AM

Sep 2012
re-watching
wamu_M said:
(I'll try my best todo explain my opinion properly since I'm not very fluent in English)

Even dough it was an amazing battle and in my opinion the second best so far( temp3 finished) I thing they nerfed too much, our Lord and God, momonga-sama. I understand that it's not very interesting to see a battle without equality (in terms of Hability) but I really think that he should have won more easily that battle. Or at least say that momonga sama wasn't fighting with all his power.

I might be wrong and I will probably change my opinion whenever I will finish Overlord. But anyway I can't give a 5/5 to this episode.

Tl;tr great battle but momonga not enough powerful.

Glory to the great tomb of nazaric.

actually Shalltear was made almost equal to momonga/ainz and cause of few skills and the special weapons given to her by her creator slightly superior to Ainz, Pandora's actor Shalltear and Albedo and Sebas are 4 most powerful guardians, so without strategy and power of hes lost friends he could have lost to Shalltear

jiajia said:
How were Nphirea's eyes healed?

ep where he saved him he said i can use healing magic to heal hes eyes when he did hes inner monologue

A-Simple-Squire said:
Ainz defeated Shalltear with a little help, of course. 500 million to resurrect her tho, talk about steep prices.

Seems that Madhouse set up everything for a 2nd season, which they ultimately got (and a 3rd and soon a 4th season too). That's all well and good, but honestly, I didn't actually like this show that much. I'm still gonna watch the next 2 seasons. Maybe it'll get much better. Here's hoping.

it gets really interesting in 4th season considering what i so in trailer

but usually s2 first arc is boring for a lot of ppl and S2 overall more interesting, i talk paste on comments i read
Sugram22May 8, 2022 4:15 AM
May 10, 2022 5:25 PM

Jul 2013
As an MMORPG player myself and something who played way too much Final Fantasy in the past I had so much fun watching this. Especially the fight between Ainz and Shalltear showed how PVP actually "can" go in games, even if obviously not to the same extend.

Overall this show had an interesting concept. I also liked the idea of Ainz going undercover as a knight in plate armor to get more information. That made up for a lot more variety.

I also liked the characters with their unique design and the OP was such a banger. I'm definitely excited for the next 2 season + knowing that there will be a 4th one this year is great.

Let's see what season 2 has prepared :)

Jun 29, 2022 11:31 PM

Oct 2021
Can't wait for next season. 2018 here I come
Inside of me you’re still living
Each time I think of you pain, suffering, sorrow, despair
You’re just an emotional decay, the one who took my life away
Aug 9, 2022 9:44 AM
Jul 2022
Bom início e desenvolveu o básico de personagens. A primeira temporada ele ainda é um anti-herói legal.
Aug 19, 2022 7:17 AM

Jan 2022
A very entertaining anime with an unusual MC, I don't feel bored watching every episode which makes it a bit of an isekai anime I like. I will continue watching S2 while waiting for the S4 episode.

Solid 10/10
“Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored.”

— Wayne Dyer
Aug 21, 2022 2:21 AM
Nov 2020
Pretty good season wish they'd stop cutting out parts from the manga i.e Nigredo and the treasure room scene, also was that Nigredo behind shaltear at the end? or am I im trippin?
Oct 15, 2022 2:18 PM
Jan 2019
yes yes yes yes yesyesyes
Nov 2, 2022 9:17 AM

Jan 2021
Okay.... Overlord, you win this round...
Dec 23, 2022 5:42 PM

Nov 2010
Melee battles will always look cooler than just spamming spells.
18:27 I thought that guy is a woman during his encounter with Shalltear. Too bad.
18:33 Ah, so that's what happened.
20:09 Solution looks nice in that maid uniform.
8/10
Jan 3, 2023 6:26 AM
Dec 2022
better than i expected tbf i was just servshing for some short anime to watch till 2023 come and anime world blows off but i think i found one i want to watch like... yea its good to watch if u want a break from all the long anime we watch (ofc we do lol) so yea tbh a good one to watch =)
Jan 3, 2023 1:06 PM

Mar 2022
I will definitely say that this was a great finale. It's not as fast paced as other shows I've seen in the past but that's not necessarily a bad thing like some people do say about Overlord. I went into this without any expectations about the show, other than the fact I had somebody who is super duper into Overlord and a certain succubus who adores Momonga,after seeing so much fanart of Albedo I had to bite the bullet and watch it for myself and it turned out better than I thought it would be. So thanks,man,much appreciate you bringing me in.The show is enriched with it's lore and took it's time fleshing out the world and characters more interesting and complex which I did like, really found the battles engaging and I'm really looking forward to season 2, it's been a blast. I'll give this season an 8/10.
Jan 26, 2023 1:14 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
It was overwhelmingly decent.
Feb 2, 2023 6:04 PM
Apr 2020
color me intrigued
Feb 5, 2023 6:37 PM
Feb 2022
Los últimos dos capítulos fueron una gran batalla tanto psicológica, como física entre Ainz y Sheltear. Fue un noble gesto el de Ainz de devolverle la vida a Shaltear, a pesar de que costara 500 millones. Fue una buena primera temporada.
Mar 8, 2023 11:15 PM
Jul 2021
So that was it? I am super disappointed with this show/season. After all I've heard along the years I was expecting much more. This show/season was bland & meh at best.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

283 by RayousSR »»
Apr 23, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

239 by RayousSR »»
Apr 22, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

» Why is shalltear stronger than Ainz??

SkyVongolaPrimo - Oct 20, 2015

16 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:22 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.