Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 30, 2015 9:20 AM
Oct 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Horrible episode. Had nothing new, we already knew why Kagami did what he did, we didn't need to see another cute girl get introduced just so she could get killed at the end in some horrible way. It was just a pathetic repeat of 3.

This went from being fun sick to just being plain sick.

Even the ending, which should have been good, sucked. Lard butt deserved more, and there is no way that a serial girl killer would have been released like that (yes I know it was arranged).

I have been a big supporter of this show, but seriously this was so bad it warrants a drop.
Takuan_SohoJul 30, 2015 9:26 AM
Jul 30, 2015 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
Not too shabby Akeshi. I think sometimes when he tries, he can do quite a bit of job done.

So yeah, the episode was alright with the case despite the odd pacing. One thing I find it interesting about Kagami and his involvement..

Shit went down after that D:
Jul 30, 2015 10:30 AM

Apr 2014
"MUH IMOUTO" the episode.
No Kobayashi butt, 0/10
Ending was nice though. Fatass finally got what he deserved.
Jul 30, 2015 11:14 AM

Mar 2015
A somewhat decent episode. Everything was predictable but still we got to learn a bit more about Kagami's past.

Dang, that ending... the fat dude had it coming for him.
Jul 30, 2015 11:20 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Honestly, who didn't see Kagami's imouto meeting a terrible fate from miles away? I remember stating it on episode 2's discussion. Imouto characters are bound to die in this types of series. Very predictable and a cheap attempt at tugging people's "feels" string, which I doubt worked for many.

Not really satisfied with how that fat MF was done in at the end. Would've preferred a much gruesome death for him.

Jul 30, 2015 11:28 AM

Feb 2014
Best episode yet. It really surprised me, damn.

Kagami's sister was really cute, really liked her, even if we only get to see her some minutes.... sad.
Even if he got arrested, I still think Kagami did what had to be done. Really liked him.
Jul 30, 2015 11:29 AM

Aug 2010
F'd up shit T^T
I was so scared for imouto-chan (such a sweet imouto to add) during this ep and making her cute didn't help. I just love those types of characters and then just to be killed like that!!! F***! When Kagami was called being told that Sunaga is after his sister I was "NOOOOOOO"
And I was in so much rage when we saw her hanging in her dress!!

Predictable but I friggin hate when they do that. Makes me cringe ;_;

F*** the Law!! 20 faces and Kagami FTW!!!!

I felt so satisfied seeing that fat bastard Watanube getting stabbed the hell out of!!!

The law sucks ass for releasing all those mentally sick criminals
Jul 30, 2015 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
It was a very good episode.

I felt bad for Kagami's little sister.

How could the law will release the criminals who have mentally minds?

Good to see Watanube is being stabbed to death!
Jul 30, 2015 11:58 AM

Jul 2007
Very emotional and great episode.

We found out Kagami's motivation and what happened to his sister, as well as getting some very nice commentary about justice system in japan, especially the mental illness treatment procedures that were altered in 2005 reform(look up on the internet, what is covered in this episode is very much real problem, highlighting the problems of mental rehabilitation facilities in japan and japanese justice system overly reliant on confessions above all ).

It gives us nice psychological profile to Kagami and showcases how he was inspired to take up 20 Faces Mask and how it connects to Akechi as well as establishing the whole 20 Faces being multiple people idea(as opposite of him impersonating multiple people in original novels)

Overall quite a beautiful study of ineptness of justice and court system as well as what drives people towards vigilantism.

5/5
Jul 30, 2015 12:00 PM

Jun 2014
I felt so bad for Kagami regarding his sister but his way of slowly torturing the criminal Sugano at the end made me happy for some odd reason. Justice given when it should be.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 30, 2015 12:02 PM

Jul 2010
Best episode so far! Glad that sick fat bastard got what he deserved in the end.
Jul 30, 2015 12:06 PM
Mar 2014
hell yea this f****ing owns 0.o

I can't even tell what it's trying to do at this point, but I also don't want to know. It's already halfway over, which is a relief.
Jul 30, 2015 12:09 PM

May 2010
Dissapointing episode mainly bc the end was so damn unsatifying and the rest was predictable as hell! Like the OP mentioned it feels like they introduce characters just to serve the purpose of being a victim!

And whats with the law in japan or wherever they are?? They cant keep a fatass locked in? all too convenient...

His death scene was a joke aswell. I just expected more than stabbing him in some dark alley.

2/5
Jul 30, 2015 12:10 PM

Jul 2014
Now that was more like it. The way Kagami progressed to the point where he became Twenty Faces was really obvious, but the way that they showed it happening was excellent. Would have been even better if it wasn't so ridiculously obvious that his sister was going to die. Seriously, as soon as she appeared I just knew that she'd die.

Also, that fat fuck finally got what he deserved. Still would have preferred him being crushed in concrete like Kagami was going to at the end of the previous episode.
Jul 30, 2015 12:24 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It was pretty obvious why he did it and all, but the episode was EASILY the best one so far.

It was about time that a really good episode happen in this.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 30, 2015 12:24 PM

Sep 2010
That sick fat pedo finally got what he deserved!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 30, 2015 12:27 PM

Dec 2014
Not going too deep into how ridiculously incompetent the judgmental system was because they have already thrown out every bit of logic behind it and go for cheap and lazy writing there, even though in reality these kind of things happen all the time but not without reason, they clearly deliberately made it flawed so that it can be used as a plot device, they made it clear in episode 4 with Kobayashi taking out his phone and watched news on it in the most awkward and blunt way possible. Or maybe it's just a minor build up for these two episodes? Or will it has any more bearing later on? It's stupid nonetheless, but not like they had much consideration for their targeted audience in the first place, just look at how contrived and manipulative this episode is written, the sister bit is just as generic as possible, there's no wit to the dialog, you think Kagami is those kind of people that can easily get pushed over the edge and has some problems himself, and this show did have weird people walking everywhere ( not sure half of them are intentional though), maybe that's why he can commit those horrible acts? But you don't see or feel that from the script or presentation, so it's just a normal person having a perfectly healthy mind just suddenly snapped and wanting to start a killing spree.

If they want to save Kagami just tell the prosecutor he is a siscon, in this universe it seems like you can just drop any charges even if you have the slightest mental problems, just fake one up.
raveninthemuddleJul 30, 2015 12:37 PM
Jul 30, 2015 12:43 PM

Jun 2014
We get backstory about what led Kagami to assume the role of 20 Faces. Decent episode, I'm glad that fat piece of crap was killed at the end but he should have been slowly tortured instead. Would have been more satisfying
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 30, 2015 12:45 PM

Jul 2007
raveninthemuddle said:
Not going too deep into how ridiculously incompetent the judgmental system was because they have already thrown out every bit of logic behind it and go for cheap and lazy writing there, even though in reality these kind of things happen all the time but not without reason, they clearly deliberately made it flawed so that it can be used as a plot device, they made it clear in episode 4 with Kobayashi taking out his phone and watched news on it in the most awkward and blunt way possible. Or maybe it's just a minor build up for these two episodes? Or will it has any more bearing later on? It's stupid nonetheless, but not like they had much consideration for their targeted audience in the first place, just look at how contrived and manipulative this episode is written, the sister bit is just as generic as possible, there's no wit to the dialog, you think Kagami is those kind of people that can easily get pushed over the edge and has some problems himself, and this show did have weird people walking everywhere ( not sure half of them are intentional though), maybe that's why he can commit those horrible acts? But you don't see or feel that from the script or presentation, so it's just a normal person having a perfectly healthy mind just suddenly snapped and wanting to start a killing spree.

If they want to save Kagami just tell the prosecutor he is a siscon, in this universe it seems like you can just drop any charges even if you have the slightest mental problems, just fake one up.

Please go live in japan for at least a year and then try to tell this is "forced" or "fake".

It is exactly like that due to incompetent implementation of mental rehabilitation reforms the government agreed on in 2005.

Criminals with mental health issues get sent to rehabilitation centers but due to poor implementation exit without any progress.
Adding to that Japanese legal system is reliant on conviction by confession to the point of violently trying to force confessions, so yes, in case of mental disability or insanity the government would usually rather commit the perpetrator to rehabilitation center than go to court with the case.
Jul 30, 2015 12:45 PM
Oct 2012
I waited to watch the English version because I hoped that I had missed something, but I unfortunately I did not.

D- said:
but still we got to learn a bit more about Kagami's past.

To what point? They wasted an entire episode on the backstory of a character that has no further meaning to this series. It wasn't even as if his story was surprising since it was the exact same story from just two episodes ago (released lunatic kills a girl close to someone who then turns vigilante).

I get the stupid point this show is going to try to make: 20 faces is really 20 different people responding to:

Barion-Zara said:
The law sucks ass for releasing all those mentally sick criminals

Which is a stupid plot. This does not happen. No mass murderer gets released from prison this way, and not once, not even twice, but three times? And even if someone wants to believe that the world operates this way, then this plot just cancelled itself out, because:

If "justice" is truly this horrible, then Akechi is a criminal for stopping vigilantes, and should be considered an accessory to murder. Had not the "next 20 face" showed up, more children would be dead, but I am sure Akechi will be more interested in stopping the new 20 face than the child predator.

And even if Kagami's backstory had any interest, an episode still has to move forward the plot, i.e. the main characters. There was none of that. Indeed if anything Akechi devolved - he should have known that Kagami's sister had been killed (he has access to everything) and that Kagami was cracked (pretending to talk to her on the phone). The entire "deduction" last episode about the plaster is now irrelevant. Really a "genius" needed the killer to so obviously "mess up" when he knows the target? And what was the point in RELEASING A SERIAL MURDERER TO CATCH HIM (and lard ass is back on the street the next day after nearly having his face pulverized). I wonder how many people were killed (because they released multiple murderers) trying to catch "twenty faces"? Nice to see Akechi has his priorities straight.

So any potential this series had has just been tossed out the window. All that is left is the author's obvious fetish with butchering little girls. That is what this show is now about.
Jul 30, 2015 12:50 PM

Aug 2013
Best episode so far. The episode's ending was satisfying. I can understand Kagami.

The mystery tag works here a bit differently,it seems that they focus it on smaller things in an episode,like in here the mystery part was why he did what he did.
From an anime only perspective this series is not bad at all imo.
Jul 30, 2015 12:51 PM

Apr 2014
Best episode yet by far, the laws they have in this are beyond ridiculous
Jul 30, 2015 12:51 PM
Jul 2015
Wait, so when exactly was his sister killed? She was alive 2 episodes ago. I thought the flashback was during the time before the start of the series, but it looks like she died in between the 3rd and 4th episodes.
Jul 30, 2015 12:54 PM

Jul 2011
MadRest said:
Wait, so when exactly was his sister killed? She was alive 2 episodes ago. I thought the flashback was during the time before the start of the series, but it looks like she died in between the 3rd and 4th episodes.

that's the power of PLOT-HOLES!

i mean, the episode wasn't bad and i ejoyed the series, but this was a tad extreme...
Jul 30, 2015 12:55 PM

Jul 2007
MadRest said:

No she was not alive back then.
I thought it was pretty clear that the phone calls were fake. if there was nothing wrong with them Akechi would not take note of them every time.
Jul 30, 2015 1:00 PM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
I thought it was pretty clear that the phone calls were fake. if there was nothing wrong with them Akechi would not take note of them every time.

Nope, they weren't fake. He interviewed Lard ass after he had been arrested for killing and pulverizing five girls, so the sister was still alive up until that point (end of episode 3). But I can see how this could not be clear, the writing is inconsistent, I had thought it a feature, but now it is clear it is just bad writing.

And your above explanation is crap. Japan is not in the habit of releasing serial killers. Which is why their murder rate is so extremely low.

Speaking of which you blamed the 2005 law, crime rates have dropped every year since then:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/10/national/crime-legal/crime-rate-in-japan-falls-11th-straight-year/#.VbqEsvnvdOI
Takuan_SohoJul 30, 2015 1:11 PM
Jul 30, 2015 1:00 PM

Jul 2015
Damn. I got pissed when I saw Kagami's sister hanging. She didn't deserve that end. Awesome episode!
Jul 30, 2015 1:09 PM

Mar 2013
Man that was brutal and sad.
That sicko got what he deserved at least.
Jul 30, 2015 1:11 PM

Jul 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
CookingPriest said:

Nope, they weren't fake. He interviewed Lard ass after he had been arrested for killing and pulverizing five girls, so the sister was still alive up until that point (end of episode 3). But I can see how this could not be clear, the writing is inconsistent, I had thought it a feature, but now it is clear it is just bad writing.

And your above explanation is crap. Japan is not in the habit of releasing serial killers. Which is why their murder rate is so extremely low.

The interview is in PREVIOUS case.

Kagami kimself states that the guy was arrested before.

He phone calls in previous ep too even though the murders have been going on for a while already.
That's why Akechi used him as a bait this time.
Jul 30, 2015 1:14 PM

Mar 2012
This episode just exposes the truth of corruption of modern justice system in today's secular civilizations. So realistic. Great episode.

5/5
Jul 30, 2015 1:16 PM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:

Nope, in the interview the criminal said that he would be released again "just like the last time", so it was after the murders. Otherwise, Kagami should have been watching Lardy because they knew he was a serial predator. So either way bad writing.

CookingPriest said:
He phone calls in previous ep too even though the murders have been going on for a while already.

No, the call he received was not from his sister in 4, go back and watch.

But even IF true, the writing is garbage for the reason I stated above. Akechi should have known about Kagami's sister's death.
Jul 30, 2015 1:23 PM

Jul 2015
Its messed up what happen to the sister
Jul 30, 2015 1:30 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Best episode. Really showed how retarded the judgement system works nowadays (it does happen way often like in this case). Kagami just couldn't deal with it and the fat guy just put the final nail in the coffin by brutally murdering his sister. That was great and i felt for Kagami.
Jul 30, 2015 1:34 PM

Feb 2010
Best episode of the show. However I am afraid it will only go down from now on. It does not matter how predictable it was but how it was delivered just topped it all.

Having lived in Japan, I am quite suspicious of the low murder rate. I know the country is very safe, many women can go out late in the evening without problems compared to other developed countries. Murders are difficult to prevent because they are very often unpredictable so I would say the low rate of murder cases recorded might have something to do with how some murders were never discovered and therefore recorded.
Jul 30, 2015 1:36 PM

Dec 2014
CookingPriest said:

Please go live in japan for at least a year and then try to tell this is "forced" or "fake".

It is exactly like that due to incompetent implementation of mental rehabilitation reforms the government agreed on in 2005.

Criminals with mental health issues get sent to rehabilitation centers but due to poor implementation exit without any progress.
Adding to that Japanese legal system is reliant on conviction by confession to the point of violently trying to force confessions, so yes, in case of mental disability or insanity the government would usually rather commit the perpetrator to rehabilitation center than go to court with the case.

So it totally excuses the way it's poorly implemented into the story? I'm not saying I'm more knowledgeable than you on Japanese legal system but I won't say I'm totally ignorant to some of the facts you have stated, but when the fat ass got released three times in a row it's hard to take the plot or whatever it correlated to reality seriously.
Jul 30, 2015 1:36 PM

Jun 2012
Wow. Okay. So the show can be good when it wants to be. This is as tightly paced as a one episode background story is going to be. The weirdness is kept to a minimum but stands out that much more for it. Aaand Kagami in a single episode gained more character than everyone else combined throughout four episodes, which is kinda unfortunate.

Why can't Ranpo Kitan be at least this good most of the time?

See folks, this is what happens when you can give a damn about the characters. Unlike that POS from last week.
Jul 30, 2015 1:41 PM
Oct 2012
Minami-Nan said:
Having lived in Japan, I am quite suspicious of the low murder rate. I know the country is very safe, many women can go out late in the evening without problems compared to other developed countries. Murders are difficult to prevent because they are very often unpredictable so I would say the low rate of murder cases recorded might have something to do with how some murders were never discovered and therefore recorded.

So rather than base you interpretation on something you witnessed: that it is safe for women to be out alone at night in Japan, you would rather believe that there are 1,000s of murders that take place annually in secret and are just covered up. No protests from family members, no inquires from friends, no police investigation, they just happen.....

I can see why you thought this was a good episode.
Jul 30, 2015 1:47 PM

Nov 2014
I never empathize with cute lovable characters in shows like these because their only purpose is literally to die in horribly twisted fashions. This episode doesn't betray the expectation I had the moment I saw her on screen for the first time, and honestly it disappoints me a little. I feel like this show is relying a little too heavily on the whole "make the audience feel bad by introducing and killing a cute little girl" card.

Honestly I think it would have been more meaningful if she'd been left alive but disfigured or something. Would have surprised me a lot more that way.
sirflimflamJul 30, 2015 1:51 PM
Jul 30, 2015 1:59 PM

Jul 2012
Good episode. Enjoyed it far more than the previous episodes.
So I guess more Twenty Faces going to appear next episode?
Jul 30, 2015 2:01 PM
Nov 2010
This episode was so good. I figured something happened to his imouto but I didn't think it was going to be that. They really know how to make you feel for characters who have only been on screen for a while.
Jul 30, 2015 2:06 PM

Feb 2013
This criminal justice system is bullshit, I get that. The way this script goes about expressing that though takes suspension of disbelief and launches it into the stratosphere with it's ubelievably bad handling of people with supposed mental health issues. The problem here is that next episode our main characters will probably go after another mad man who'll get tried under the same system that let some dude who kidnapped a bunch of children as sex slaves walk free. Who cares.

As for the rest of the episode, I've got noting but shrugs. Not a fan of discount feels.
gedataAug 4, 2015 7:20 PM
Jul 30, 2015 2:07 PM

Sep 2013
I hated this episode cause everything is so true and real :'(

This is me at the end of the ep.

Jul 30, 2015 2:12 PM

Apr 2014
ichii_1 said:

I feel ya man, I feel ya. This episode was great, and I mean that in a sad and horrified way.
Jul 30, 2015 2:13 PM

Jan 2014
Enjoyed this episode muuuch more than the previous episodes.
Jul 30, 2015 2:14 PM

Sep 2007
Imouto's death was obvious and inevitable, which made for a very painful and gut wrenching watch.

Jul 30, 2015 2:17 PM

Aug 2010
ichii_1 said:

+1 T^T
Jul 30, 2015 2:19 PM

Mar 2008
So somebody high in the Japanese government wants a drastic change in the laws and seeks for support from the otaku crowd. Therefore such a badly directed series pops up in the noitaminA block. And of course they couldn't miss a chance to remind how overtiming at work may destroy your family. Meh...

What's ironic is that both noitaminA shows this season have trap characters. Unlike Kishi, however, Nakamura Kenji sure does them so much better. Utsutsuu shimasu.
Jul 30, 2015 2:29 PM

Nov 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
CookingPriest said:

Nope, in the interview the criminal said that he would be released again "just like the last time", so it was after the murders. Otherwise, Kagami should have been watching Lardy because they knew he was a serial predator. So either way bad writing.

You not understanding it =/ bad writing.
But kinda funny how you suddenly changed your tune.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 30, 2015 2:40 PM

Jan 2015
The OST was my fav thing about the episode, well as for Kagami's motive it was obvious, but how tragic for him to lose his way.
Jul 30, 2015 2:40 PM
Oct 2012
rederoin said:
You not understanding it =/ bad writing.
But kinda funny how you suddenly changed your tune.

No, I understood it. It's not that hard you know. And no, what I said was bad writing was repeating a plot from 2 episodes ago to generate false "feels", not advancing the two main characters (which is what plot is), not bothering to explain the phone calls, not bothering to explain how lardy was released within days,

you know those sort of things that are the hallmark of good writing.

As for changing, its not as if I hadn't seen the faults before, but I was willing to suspend disbelief a bit more. This episode was so horribly written though my suspension crashed faster than a metallic balloon and with the price of helium these days, the hydrogen supporting me burnt my beliefs as well.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2015

326 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.