Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2015 9:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, another weird case that pops up on the occasion. A feeling of a dark symbolism...

Akechi still kinda impresses me with his intellectual skills though.
Hell, his computer and analytical skills made this episode entertaining somewhat.

Episode felt like a psyche analysis. There's quite a bit of human feelings poured into this. Somewhat of a thrilling ending as it looks like that guy at the end is familiar with Akechi and vice versa. Twenty Faces is becoming reality.
Stark700Sep 3, 2015 11:25 AM
Sep 3, 2015 11:25 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The style of this episode was insane, some incredible symbolism shots, hats off for that.

Kobayashi lost interest in Hashiba for a moment there....is that some kind of foreshadowing? Also someone grabbed him there at the end.

Akechi vs. Namikoshi / Twenty Faces inc., that should be interesting to watch.
Sep 3, 2015 11:27 AM
Jan 2010
Man I want that ost!

These kids are in middle school...right? And I guess they aren't going to drop Hashiba's thing for Kobayashi.Akechi himself was the solution?

Nijuumensou's successor...successors....Creepy scene. That big reveal though. I thought it was strange to here Yamaguchi Kappei's voice. Who knew that Minami was it.

We got to see meaning behind all the butterflies in this show last week as well as some backstory from Akechi. I hope they explain more about the silhouettes Kobayashi always sees. This show has always been in Kobayashi's perspective. Maybe we'll get more background on Kobayashi besides him being a bored kid.
Sep 3, 2015 11:27 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This formula that Akechi and his friend came up with is pretty impressive =o

And man I had no idea that the crazy three minute doctor autopsy chick was a 20 Faces advocater/his #1 fangirl xD That shit came so out of left field but I guess this makes sense since she said that they were always lurking close to him

That reveal at the end was pretty cool and I'm very curious into finding out how this guy is even alive as well as to see him fuck more shit up because so far I like him a lot lol
Sep 3, 2015 11:28 AM

Jul 2007
Nice to see them spell out pretty much my explanation from last episode that most people were not getting from what was said in the episode. I guess you need to spell it out sometimes.

Interesting episode construction and the way various details they established being used(Kobayashi's perception of the world, etc)
Sep 3, 2015 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
Akechi's computer and analytical skills are pretty impressive.

That ending was cool!
Sep 3, 2015 11:34 AM

Feb 2015

Oh, so the annoying medical examiner is actually part of the show. Thought she was there just for the autopsy scene expositions.

I had a feeling Namikoshi was alive after last episode's backstory so glad to see him back.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2015 11:37 AM

Mar 2015
So, a double plot twist appears.

Well, I knew Namikoshi would return.
Sep 3, 2015 11:58 AM

Jan 2013
"I can predict the future with my super formula" makes people go 'I'm very impressed' huh?

Dumb comedy sidekick decides that she wants to be part of the show. Kobayashi now finds his friend boring and the ever so predictable plot twist at the end couldn't have been less interesting.

This episode was once again full of shit.
Sep 3, 2015 11:59 AM

Jun 2014
I never imagined that the annoying autopsy girl would actually be significant to the plot in any way besides comic relief.

I found it interesting how Kobayashi saw Hashiba as a silhouette for a second. I guess Hashiba is slowly turning into just another passing face.

I had a feeling Namikoshi would still be alive, let's see what he has up his sleeve for these last 2 episodes.

Lol Hashiba getting turned on by Kobayashi's belly button...and does Akechi ever drink water? Like holy crap, you can't live solely off of coffee.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 3, 2015 12:04 PM

Dec 2012
I had a feeling that the autopsy girl is that "successor" for some reason but it still surprised me I was right

Only 2 more episodes to go,Kobayashi is probably going to be the last Twenty Faces that Akechi will confront imo. It may sound stupid but it's just a guess
Sep 3, 2015 12:06 PM

Jan 2008
So I guess I was wrong about 20 Faces being the paper bag guy...or was I? While it was true the man known as 20 Faces in both the original novels and subsequent various adaptions was a master of disguises, it wasn't unusual for him to use body doubles as well. It could be that they simply split his character into two parts: his character self retaining the skillful disguises (paper bag guy), and the concept, a way of thinking (Namikoshi's formula)--using multiple anonymous people to represent a single entity. Can't say it's very original, since it's been done to death in various forms of media, like in V for Vendetta or Code Geass...among many others.
Sep 3, 2015 12:31 PM

Nov 2012
The final act begins,will it finally be worthwhile or like the rest of the series (probably the latter).
Sep 3, 2015 12:38 PM

Jul 2014
To me, this was just an episode of two twists: one was blatantly obvious, while the other really seemed to come out of left-field. Namikoshi being alive is no surprise at all, but I didn't expect Minami to be a Twenty Faces. Also, I find it interesting how Kobayashi seemed to lose interest in Hashiba for a moment there, given that Kobayashi saw him as a greyed-out figure for a moment.
Sep 3, 2015 12:56 PM

Mar 2013
SWEET JESUS! The stupity of this episode was way too much for me to handle. I even had to pause a few times, so I could have my share of facepalms during it. I won't touch this magical formula, although it's pretty stupid by itself. But really? Criminal announces his actions via Twitter and still not caught? REALLY? Considering that there's more then enough cases, where person writes threats in Twitter and get arrested faster than person could say "Bulsh*t".
And Minami was real?! What the actual f... What next? Maybe Corpsey also was reall all that time? Was he produced via some magical formula as well, maybe? Oh, and Namikoshi was alive all along. Didn't he set himself aflame in the previous episode? So I guess being on fire simply gives you Kenshin's scar. Good to know. Can someone check if this works in reality?

Sorry, I kinda enjoyed the stupidty of the previous episodes - at least they were a good laugh. But this time it was too much for me to handle.
AntonKutovoiSep 3, 2015 1:53 PM
Sep 3, 2015 1:40 PM

Feb 2014
Well, that was crazy, didn't expect the plot twists at all.
Sep 3, 2015 1:49 PM

Jan 2013
AntonKutovoi said:
SWEET JESUS! The stupity of this episode was way too much for me to handle. I even had to pause a few times, so I could have my share of facepalms during it. I won't touch this magical formula, although it's pretty stupid by itself. But really? Criminal announces his actions via Twitter and still not caught? REALLY? Considering that there's more then enough cases, where person writes threats in Twitter and get arrested faster than person could say "Bulsh*t".
And Minami was real?! What the actual f... What next? Maybe Corpsey also was reall all that time? Was he produced via some magical formula as well, maybe? Oh, and Namikoshi as alive all along. Didn't he set himself aflame in the previous episode? So I guess being on fire simply gives you Kenshin's scar. Good to know. Can someone check if this works in reality?

Sorry, I kinda enjoyed the stupidty of the previous episodes - at least they were a good laugh. But this time it was too much for me to handle.

MrCorpsey is the real 20 face :0

I really want to see kobayashi wear 20 face mask
Sep 3, 2015 2:00 PM

May 2013
Why is this show so dumb.

Sep 3, 2015 2:11 PM

Apr 2013
Although I somehow imagined Minami being an excentric pathologist of the police I wasn't sure if she's actually a real person, but now I know^^

I seem to be of the minority that still enjoys this show though^^

But I don't remember, was Namikoshi that famous? Because everybody seeing him seemed to know him?
Sep 3, 2015 2:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
well ... ok.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 3, 2015 3:30 PM

Jul 2010
Stark700 said:
Akechi still kinda impresses me with his intellectual skills though.
Hell, his computer and analytical skills made this episode entertaining somewhat.

Skills ? More like "stfu it's magic". There are at least 4 reasons for the "formula" to be complete bullshit (solving large scale chaos theory, reversing it, running it with an USB key and low-end computer, countering the formula using the formula itself (although they showed it was not possible and the attempt was predicted, he STILL attempted to do it)), so whatever you're doing with it, it's not about skills.
Sep 3, 2015 4:18 PM

Aug 2015
dem plot twists tho
Sep 3, 2015 4:28 PM

Dec 2014
Smudy said:

Kobayashi lost interest in Hashiba for a moment there....is that some kind of foreshadowing?

kawaii-despair said:
I had a feeling that the autopsy girl is that "successor" for some reason but it still surprised me I was right

Same here.
Sep 3, 2015 4:50 PM

May 2015
Fine episode. That comeback at the end though, and also them plot twists.

Sep 3, 2015 5:18 PM

Apr 2015
Kobayashi's take on Hashiba is starting to change. Obvious that Namikoshi's back and Akechi's going to face hell for now (just remembered there's going to be only 11 episodes), but I can only hope for an okay ending. It's nice how they're finally focusing on Kobayashi, though.
Sep 3, 2015 5:43 PM

Aug 2012
this anime is unbelievably boring and dumb
Sep 3, 2015 8:02 PM

Feb 2013
So that masked girl was a real character all along? Alright sure. And of course this whole magic formula thing is complete bullshit. Being able to predict the future like that such a bizarre leap to make and seems out of place even in a setting as dumb as this one. I dug the barrage of weird imagery though.

I also chuckled when Kobayashi finally realized how boring and nondescript his friend is
Sep 3, 2015 8:54 PM

Mar 2010
feel drunk whenever i watch this anime lol
Sep 3, 2015 10:25 PM
Mar 2013
If it's one thing I learned from some things, when the Main Character starts to get bored of the other main character, that main character(in this case Hashiba) is most likely going to die in this series(sometimes the secondary main characters die to save the Main MC from death or the like).

But I could be wrong. that chance is maybe 30% at best.
Crono-CrossSep 3, 2015 10:29 PM
Sep 3, 2015 11:18 PM

Aug 2013
So Akechi basically completed the minority report formula.

Dumb as fuck autopsy girl comes totally out of left field. What a shitty way to make a shitty character attempt to be relevant. And even then they just used her as a stepping stone.

Basically the annoying fucking girl who I always fast forward through is some mastermind villain who knows about the Dark Star formula and acts like she's become an expert on Chaos Theory or some shit. Even though she was just a pawn to bring up Namikoshi.

Sooooo...super magic formula can predict that corpse gremlin will poison the food...but not that dead friend would show up? Much magical, so wow.

If everyone's predictions about Kobayashi's seen Hashiba as a colored shadow since he's bored of him: will lead to Hashiba's death, and Kobayashi's change into the next 20 faces, this show might actually end without being terrible.
Sep 4, 2015 12:01 AM

Jul 2010
This show produces so much salt. Anyway, I find it enjoyable. I really like the concept of 20 faces and the Dark Star Formula.
Sep 4, 2015 3:37 AM

Jul 2007
Jonesy974 said:

Sooooo...super magic formula can predict that corpse gremlin will poison the food...but not that dead friend would show up? Much magical, so wow.

It would work if it was only one person playing the game(hence the title). But both Akechi and his friend are utilizing the same formula, so in the end it is nothing but probability.The difference in this instance is that one side did not know about it, thus their predictions and probabilities go off-track due to unknown factor.
Sep 4, 2015 5:20 AM

Apr 2015
A Minami episode was predictable, she appears on the op.
I wonder what Kobayashi thought when he saw Hashiba's silhouette..? Did Hashiba grab him? He was acting strange, uhm.

Can't wait for ep 10.
Sep 4, 2015 6:02 AM

Jul 2011
so can we guees that everyone int he op will become, even if only undirectly, a twenty faces?

also can't believe people thought minami didn't exist lol(but i'm more surprised by their hate for her,she's my fave)
Sep 4, 2015 6:24 AM

Jan 2014
Mhh so we finally got to see the reason for having that random medical examiner mini show, which occasionally happened. Wtf Namikoshi is alive O_o and with just a scar.. i can' wait to hear his explanation for how he made everyone believe he was dead to set off the twenty face scheme.

It also seems that Hashiba has become one of those characters which Kobayashi has no interest in, that or there was some other meaning to him being green.
Sep 4, 2015 7:05 AM

Sep 2014
Meh episode, nothing interesting happened. And once again, shitty trap bs.
Sep 4, 2015 8:08 AM

Aug 2013
So sad Kobayashi doesn't view Hashiba as a friend anymore :(
Sep 4, 2015 8:15 AM

Jul 2014
It was kinda lame that the autopsy girl was a Twenty Faces. They did that already, why again? It's not like she did anything in this show, except for some comedy.
It was kinda predictable that Namikoshi would come back. The episode was pretty meh.
Sep 4, 2015 8:16 AM

Jan 2015
i loved this episode, and looks like i am the only one who likes the doctor
Sep 4, 2015 8:48 AM

Feb 2014
It was indeed an unsurprisingly plot twist. But, why the staff decided to frame Medical Examiner Minami for being a Twenty Faces? Also I wonder if Shadow Man will make his appearance again.
Sep 4, 2015 9:38 AM

Feb 2011
TheNaturalPerm said:
"I can predict the future with my super formula" makes people go 'I'm very impressed' huh?

Dumb comedy sidekick decides that she wants to be part of the show. Kobayashi now finds his friend boring and the ever so predictable plot twist at the end couldn't have been less interesting.

This episode was once again full of shit.

thank you

i dropped this shit down to a 4/10

i just want this to be over

Sep 4, 2015 11:36 AM

Mar 2013
Kinda stopped being interested in the plot for this 2-3 episodes back. It just doesn't grab me anymore unfortunately.
Sep 4, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2011
#20faces
Sep 4, 2015 12:51 PM

Jun 2013
just think of all the potentials this anime had
Sep 4, 2015 5:03 PM

Aug 2015
The series is ending, in the last episode we've got a much better devolpment but this show had so MUCH potential, really sorry that a big part of it got wasted. I hope that eventually those 2 episodes remaining will be awesome like this one or the firsts
Sep 4, 2015 5:28 PM

Jun 2015
this anime in general is very good but this episode in particular was amazing. The symbolism is probably the best part. I think this anime is about much more than 2 boys helping a detective solve a crime, and this episode in particular exemplified this notion.

If you can't tell this anime is a fucking masterpiece it's either because you are unintelligent or you aren't thinking hard enough about it. Anybody who has this under a 9 needs to rewatch.

Favorite part was this:
Sep 4, 2015 7:08 PM

Jun 2009
Donger_Senpai said:
If you can't tell this anime is a fucking masterpiece it's either because you are unintelligent or you aren't thinking hard enough about it. Anybody who has this under a 9 needs to rewatch.

Then please enlighten us what exactly makes this anime so masterful?
I just can't see it.

The anime DOES have a lot of interesting ideas it throws into the mix, but it doesn't really follow up on any of them so far. The media excerpts throughout the show bring up interesting social points, youth criminality, child protection laws, unemployment, etc. but it never really follows that up with anything connected to the actual cases or events. Yes, it had that one pointy segment about the raving fanatic lady who got replaced with a teddy bear, but that ammounted to an SNL skit.

The cases aren't really dealing with the social issues connected to them, they just use the element of shock. You could do a lot with child abduction and murder in Japan today...just now there is a huge case in the media. They aren't dealt with indepth and the motive is mostly flimsy and superficial. Minami's motive in this episode was one of the most well established so far and itstill fell flat because it needed to rely on an actual slideshow within the show to dump the info to us.

The characters are mostly cutouts and so far have not gone through any kind of major development. The biggest game changer was that Kobayashi is loosing interest in Hashiba this episode. Not gradually, mind you, but from one moment to the next. Akechi, Hashiba, Black Lizard, Shadow Man, etc. are mostly static characters, and among them only Akechi possesses an actual established background.

Like the scene you liked, this series spends a lot of time on visually grand setpieces to stage it's action. This way of theatresque enacting of a story is intriguing, but they also have to tell part of the story because they take up so much time.
The domino-piece scene tells us something that we already know, that he set the pieces in motion and now they fall without his involvement. He doesn't have to kill for sinners to die.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Sep 4, 2015 11:41 PM

Jul 2007
seizonsha said:

The anime DOES have a lot of interesting ideas it throws into the mix, but it doesn't really follow up on any of them so far. The media excerpts throughout the show bring up interesting social points, youth criminality, child protection laws, unemployment, etc. but it never really follows that up with anything connected to the actual cases or events. Yes, it had that one pointy segment about the raving fanatic lady who got replaced with a teddy bear, but that ammounted to an SNL skit.

Variables in favor of 20 Faces meme. The things that affect its popularity.

The cases aren't really dealing with the social issues connected to them, they just use the element of shock. You could do a lot with child abduction and murder in Japan today...just now there is a huge case in the media. They aren't dealt with indepth and the motive is mostly flimsy and superficial. Minami's motive in this episode was one of the most well established so far and itstill fell flat because it needed to rely on an actual slideshow within the show to dump the info to us.

Because the cases are not the focus. The mystery behind the characters solving them is.
Sep 5, 2015 2:31 AM

Dec 2013
That beautiful reveal.

The 3 minute girl would become another 20 faces was fun to watch, though I would have expected her to perform a live autopsy on the malpracticing doctor as punishment.

Just how did Namikoshi survive a full body burn AND keep his survival a secret? I cannot wait till they reveal it next episode.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 5, 2015 6:30 AM

Jun 2009
CookingPriest said:
Variables in favor of 20 Faces meme. The things that affect its popularity.

What exactly was the connection between low employment rate and the case around Minami's brother?

Because the cases are not the focus. The mystery behind the characters solving them is.

That wasn't what I was commenting on though. If there actually appeared to be a mystery behind more of the characters than just Akechi (and to a degree our first 20 faces) very well, but the characters besides them appear to me more like archetypes which are suppossed to drive a message forward that is either very infantile (Vigilantism is bad, but society is broken...oh woe) or is still invisible to me.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2015

326 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.