Forum Settings
Forums

SAY LOVE: Same Sex Marriage To Be Legal In ALL 50 States

New
Jun 26, 2015 7:59 AM

Oct 2011

— Justice Kennedy[/quote][/spoiler]

In a historic ruling, the Supreme Court has decided IN FAVOR of marriage equality in Obergefell v. Hodges. Marriage equality will soon be a reality in all 50 states. Read more.

Edit: Keep in mind that this decision was made 2 days before the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. Read More.

[color=gold]Mississippi's first same sex marriage license signing. Keep in mind that Mississippi is a state that still waves a confederate emblem in its flag. Read more.
[/color]

Celebrities, politicians, & comedians react on the decision via Twitter. Read more.

A timelapse of bans and laws either pro or anti same sex marriage. View here.

President Obama speaks on the SCOUTS ruling on marriage equality. View here.

June 26 will be known as "Kennedy Day" named for Justice Kennedy's official statement in regards to the ruling. Read more.

First Dallas gay couple to marry. They've been together for over 54 years. Read more.
MaiTaiJun 26, 2015 12:26 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (20) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2015 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Lol will be interesting to see what the various state governments will say or do, given a number of them are on record saying this would not be allowed.
Jun 26, 2015 8:03 AM

Nov 2008
It's about time. The South has honor them, kicking and screaming, they'll try to repeal the ruling anyway they can.

Jun 26, 2015 8:04 AM

Jan 2014
Nice for those who can finally marry tho now I think it's going go cause more people to oppose it especially in southern states.

Jun 26, 2015 8:05 AM

Jun 2014
This is incredible!

It's the beginning of a new era in American history, and a step forward in the name of equality. It's about time.

Jun 26, 2015 8:09 AM

Feb 2015
It's not like marriage means anything any more any way. It's already been killed. All we're seeing in this is sodomites feasting on the corpse like wretched brutes.

Working_Designs said:
It's the beginning of a new era in American history, and a step forward in the name of equality.

All hail the new gods :| Obviously sarcasm. Come on.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jun 26, 2015 8:10 AM

Jun 2011
Now if we could only get some polygamy up in here ;p
Jun 26, 2015 8:12 AM

Feb 2015
Killaclown said:
Now if we could only get some polygamy up in here ;p

I'd give it another ~20 years.

Jun 26, 2015 8:13 AM

Jun 2014
icirate said:
It's not like marriage means anything any more any way. It's already been killed. All we're seeing in this is sodomites feasting on the corpse like wretched brutes.

Working_Designs said:
It's the beginning of a new era in American history, and a step forward in the name of equality.

Sounds like you have a problem with equality. What are you, some kind of cuckoo christian conservative or something?

I'm glad I live in a place where everyone under 30 is atheist.

Jun 26, 2015 8:16 AM

Dec 2013
With this and attempts to be rid of the confederate flag I wonder what the south will do.
Jun 26, 2015 8:17 AM
Mar 2014
Good, but it's depressing that it took this long. This is only one small step towards equality which a lot of first-world countries took decades ago. The fight is far from over, so I don't see a point in celebrating.
Jun 26, 2015 8:24 AM

Feb 2015
Working_Designs said:
Sounds like you have a problem with equality. What are you, some kind of cuckoo christian conservative or something?

I'll write a blog post or something about it tomorrow so that every time this comes up I can just link to it.

For now: Equality is a pipe dream. It's not something you'll ever have because it's a term that encompasses both 'equality of opportunity' and 'equality of outcome'. These two things are fundamentally irreconcilable so 'equality' is less comprehensible than God.

Jun 26, 2015 8:27 AM

Jun 2014
icirate said:
Working_Designs said:

I'll write a blog post or something about it tomorrow so that every time this comes up I can just link to it.

For now: Equality is a pipe dream. It's not something you'll ever have because it's a term that encompasses both 'equality of opportunity' and 'equality of outcome'. These two things are fundamentally irreconcilable so 'equality' is less comprehensible than God.

God does not exist, but "Rights" are something that ARE real.

Dumb conservative nutjobs can hate it all they want, but they have to accept it.

Jun 26, 2015 8:27 AM

Oct 2011
I live in the South and between this stuff and the confederate flag stuff...It won't be swallowed that easily. However, for now, I'll SAY LOVE.

I mean, they can bitch all they want but it cannot and will not be struck down.

Jun 26, 2015 8:28 AM

Nov 2008
Working_Designs said:
icirate said:

Only old conservatives oppose gay marriage these days, the young GOP support it.

Jun 26, 2015 8:28 AM
Mar 2013
nice to see everyone's favourite 3rd world country imposing laws that individual states may not agree with.

If this is the idea of equality (forcing everyone to accept your perception of equality and silencing others as wrong) then it's really fucked up and very intolerant of different opinions and beliefs
Jun 26, 2015 8:34 AM

Nov 2014
JD2411 said:
nice to see everyone's favourite 3rd world country imposing laws that individual states may not agree with.

If this is the idea of equality (forcing everyone to accept your perception of equality and silencing others as wrong) then it's really fucked up and very intolerant of different opinions and beliefs

I believe who you love/choose to marry is a personal choice. I don't know about equality but I think this is a good thing since it makes people happy without affecting other people around them. Nobody is forcing you to be gay they are just giving gay people the freedom to marry whoever they want.
Jun 26, 2015 8:36 AM
Mar 2013
omeg4 said:
JD2411 said:

I believe who you love/choose to marry is a personal choice. I don't know about equality but I think this is a good thing since it makes people happy without affecting other people around them. Nobody is forcing you to be gay they are just giving gay people the freedom to marry whoever they want.
they are forcing a law onto every state in the US...
Jun 26, 2015 8:39 AM

Oct 2011
JD2411 said:

If every law was meant to only fit the state level, then we'd all be our own individual countries. Some things need to TRANSCEND state lines. This is one of those things.

Jun 26, 2015 8:39 AM
Mar 2014
Hoppy said:
Only old conservatives oppose gay marriage these days, the young GOP support it.

Ain't that the truth. In reality, human rights are something that transcend any partisanship.
Jun 26, 2015 8:40 AM

Dec 2013
MaiTai said:
I live in the South and between this stuff and the confederate flag stuff...It won't be swallowed that easily. However, for now, I'll SAY LOVE.

I mean, they can bitch all they want but it cannot and will not be struck down.
True, but I'm just wondering if the priests will rally the common folk up for a crusade against the sinful north and spark another civil war. I have my doubts as people are more dependent on the government for aid and it's not as conservative dominate as it use to be, but there might be some crazy shit to still happen.
Jun 26, 2015 8:41 AM

Jun 2014
JD2411 said:
omeg4 said:

You live in the UK, where same sex marriage is already legal, and here in Canada where I live, it's been legal since 2005.

What's your problem, kid?

Nov 2014
JD2411 said:

Yes but according to me laws are made for the benefit of the people I see no harm in allowing gay marriages since as I mentioned earlier it is a personal choice that has nothing to do with anybody else.
Not allowing gay marriages however is not nice to gay people and it does not benefit the state or economy in any way.
Mar 2013
MaiTai said:
JD2411 said:

If every law was meant to only fit the state level, then we'd all be our own individual countries. Some things need to TRANSCEND state lines. This is one of those things.
except this is a terrible decision and is guaranteed to cause backlash

and it doesn't change the fact that gay marriage is being forced onto these states.
Jun 26, 2015 8:48 AM

Oct 2011
Now the gays can enslave themselves just like everybody else does.
Mar 2014
JD2411 said:
MaiTai said:

and it doesn't change the fact that gay marriage is being forced onto these states.

I'm not sure if you understand how democracy works. This is what the people want.
Jul 2018
It should have happened years ago, but better late than never.
Jun 26, 2015 8:49 AM

Jul 2014
Great to hear. I'm not gay myself but I've always supported the rights of the LGBT community.
Take care of yourself

Jun 26, 2015 8:50 AM

Jan 2013
Working_Designs said:
JD2411 said:

You live in the UK, where same sex marriage is already legal, and here in Canada where I live, it's been legal since 2005.

What's your problem, kid?

I wouldn't say he has a problem. Millions of gun owning americans and states with there own armed forces might take issue with it among other things...god forbid when the details of TTIP and TTP are unleashed and the common Americans have had enough, then you'll see why the American police have armored cars and machine guns.
Jun 26, 2015 9:05 AM

Jan 2014
Marriage has already gone down the gutter. Wonder what the reaction would be when the divorce rates just keep on increasing, so in essence nothing would have been accomplished.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 26, 2015 9:08 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
well how about that

a step in the right direction for once
Jun 26, 2015 9:09 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Woohoo! Its about damn time. 5-4 is way too close of a vote though. Time for some new representation on the court in my opinion.
Jun 26, 2015 9:10 AM

Feb 2013
That's some great news! but like they say above, its a shame it took so long, still better later than never ^^

Lencurryboy said:
while this law is nice is it still legal to fire people for being gay so they gotta change that asap lmao

Making guns illegal like every civiliced country.

Jun 26, 2015 9:16 AM

May 2014
There's gonna be alot of backlash over this, the southern states always were the more primitive.
I've been here way too long...
Jun 26, 2015 9:18 AM

Jan 2015
This is good, finally.
Jun 26, 2015 9:28 AM

Jun 2008
Unites States of America
b. 1776
d. 2015
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 26, 2015 9:30 AM

Jun 2011
omeg4 said:

Not allowing gay marriages however is not nice to gay people and it does not benefit the state or economy in any way.
well I don't know about the last part, marriage usually comes with tax breaks and stuff.... it would affect the economy I would think, though marriage may also cause more spending or something I dunno, just saying it's naive to think it wouldn't affect things
Jun 26, 2015 9:45 AM

Oct 2011
Please see OP for posts related to today and the ruling. Let me know if y'all find interesting tidbits and I'll add it.

Jun 26, 2015 9:51 AM

Feb 2015
Working_Designs said:
icirate said:

Dumb conservative nutjobs can hate it all they want, but they have to accept it.

Read what I wrote before. I never mentioned rights, did I? Accept that the ideal you're pursuing is fake.

Jun 26, 2015 9:56 AM

May 2014
well im not surprised. It was only a matter of time.

vodall said:
JD2411 said:

I'm not sure if you understand how democracy works. This is what the people want.

not quite. this is what the supreme court decided. previous to this, every state decided if their people wanted it. some did some didn't. this change overrules those who decided against having it
Working_Designs said:
icirate said:

not all Christian conservatives are against gay marriage

omeg4 said:
JD2411 said:

Yes but according to me laws are made for the benefit of the people I see no harm in allowing gay marriages since as I mentioned earlier it is a personal choice that has nothing to do with anybody else.

actually married people get tax breaks for being married. 2 single people pay more in tax than 1 married couple of the same income. This sort of break is to encourage breeding so there wont be a low population problem like you see japan facing.

with all this said, im still happy for the gays that can now get married anywhere rather than only some states
Jun 26, 2015 9:57 AM

Jun 2014
icirate said:
Working_Designs said:

Read what I wrote before. I never mentioned rights, did I? Accept that the ideal you're pursuing is fake.

Um, no.

God IS fake, but equality is something that can actually be achieved. We are closer to it now than ever before.

Nothing is perfect, but the closer you can get to perfection, the better.

Jun 26, 2015 10:05 AM

Dec 2013
Working_Designs said:
equality is something that can actually be achieved.
It's already been achieved, we call it death.
Jun 26, 2015 10:10 AM

Jun 2014
Astros said:
Working_Designs said:
equality is something that can actually be achieved.
It's already been achieved, we call it death.

What does death have to do with equality?

Jun 26, 2015 10:15 AM

Dec 2013
Working_Designs said:
First look at how you define equality then look at what death brings and how it occurs.
Jun 26, 2015 10:19 AM

Jun 2014
Astros said:
Working_Designs said:
First look at how you define equality then look at what death brings and how it occurs.

If you're trying to say that we're equal when we're all dead, sure, but that's not really what this thread is about.

What's important is what's happening among the living.

Jun 26, 2015 10:25 AM

Jun 2008
badwolf45f said:
That's some great news! but like they say above, its a shame it took so long, still better later than never ^^

Lencurryboy said:
while this law is nice is it still legal to fire people for being gay so they gotta change that asap lmao

Ad we how well that's working....NOT!!
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 26, 2015 10:26 AM

May 2014
50 states of GAY

@OP yorokobe gay people :P
Jun 26, 2015 10:27 AM

Nov 2014
Ughhh!! What are they going to legalize next?! Marriage between humans and animals?! Marriage between RELATIVES?! The world is GOING TO HELL!!! *froths*

But seriously. This is wonderful, and long overdue. I just hope that religious institutions aren't forced by law to perform gay marriages. They should have a right to choose like the rest of us.
Jun 26, 2015 10:27 AM

Jun 2014
sbyrstall said:
badwolf45f said:

It works here in Canada. There's no such thing as pistols or automatics where I live.

Jun 26, 2015 10:29 AM

May 2014
Working_Designs said:
sbyrstall said:

It works here in Canada. There's no such thing as pistols or automatics where I live.

+1
in EU also
its all about educating the kids right .... shape up murica
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (20) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.