Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 23, 2015 1:34 PM

Apr 2015
gnodab said:
Swaggercandy said:
Love how Reina was getting flustered over Kumiko and Taki sensei being together.

So upset she didn't even notice she dropped her water bottle :P. An indication that she still likes Taki-sensei.

Good episode. though a bit drawn out at some places but the build up to Kumiko's outburst on the bridge was worth it. Beautifully animated Kyoani.

True. She really wanted to know what is about Kumiko talking about that involves Taki. Hahahaha. She's like thinking. "wait, you're with Sensei?! What? Alone?! What are you two doing?!

Loved the moments between Kumiko and Shuichi, why say they're not talking anymore. Only music is needed to express what they really feel. It also seems Shuichi is Kumiko's comforter.
RPSB9Jun 23, 2015 1:58 PM
#CHEXIT
Jun 23, 2015 1:47 PM

May 2009
ooo333 said:
Remember when Suichi and Hazuki were relevant? Great times.

Shuichi isn't important in first volume of book at all. Same goes to Hazuki and Midori which were only promoted to main cast in OP/ED and merchandise by KyoAni to keep their usual 4 girls ensemble.
Jun 23, 2015 1:53 PM

Dec 2013
Those were some epic trolling moments this episode, but to think they all fit into the grand scheme of things makes it all work out.

It really isn't much of an understatement to say that Reina's play in the second audition kicked the band up a gear, with everyone dead set on improving to a level that Taki wants, if not to complement Reina. I give my compliments solely to Reina though, because I highly doubt that Taki intended for that to happen.

Kumiko needs praise for her dedication to improvement, though that tunnel-vision nearly took her out via heatstroke and dehydration. Seeing someone do a great job, and understanding the hours that they put in to achieve said great job, really does serve as motivation for yourself to improve. For Kumiko, who'd been half-assing her play since middle-school, this was probably the first ever push in her life where she really felt an urge to match Reina's level of dedication. The urge half-backfired on her, because she didn't pace herself on her practices and ended up with a bloody nose.

Still, throughout all of it she finally realized her one true love: Eupho-kun! For her, whose been playing with Eupho-kun for around six years, this realization was probably as much a surprise to herself as it was to everyone around her. But her declaration, several times this episode I might add, says it all. She love Eupho-kun truly, madly, deeply XD

Taki was such a troll this episode, I understand exactly what he was trying to do when he told Asuka to play the part solo. He was trying to let the rest of the band understand the exact sound that he wanted during that part, whilst expecting for Kumiko to practice to improve well enough to be able to play that part like Asuka did (as she promised him to do).
I would put it down to his "Genius" ways, but he did a poor job in explaining to Kumiko and everyone else exactly why he pulled her off that part. Taki is a nice enough guy, but he still has issues with explaining his decisions to the band members. He might need some lessons in social skills and teenage psychology here, cause his off-handed decision was obviously devastating for Kumiko, who had practiced long and hard to get the part right, only to be told that she no longer had to play it during Band practice anymore.
It only really worked out in the end because of the phone incident, which allowed Kumiko to have some one-on-one time with Taki, but after this I feel like even Kumiko understands Taki better for it. But seriously, it was a half episode long troll by Taki there.

Natsuki and Yuuko.... there's seriously something going on with those two. After the hugs and ear blows last episode, these two have basically gone from enemies to frienemeis (mostly due to Natsuki's playful nature). Highly enjoyed the Natsuki troll there. It made me laugh out loud.

Then we have Reina, who finally admits to her own fault of being smug and haughty prior to the second audition. She didn't have too many meaningful scenes this episode, but her apology to Kaori and Yuuko really stood out. She finally realized through the second audition that talent alone won't win the her friends or respect that she needed to be acknowledged. I personally think this was a great development for her in the social dynamics of the band. She won't be ostracized for her talent any longer. It felt like a wall was finally being torn down there.
Kumiko trolled her hard in the end though, with the cryptic off-handed remark about meeting up with Taki alone after school. Kumiko's focus was obviously to tell her that she was finally understanding Taki's methods for the band a little more, and that she felt great motivation to improve to her level, but the only thing ringing in Reina's ears at the end was "I was ALONE with TAKI-sensei UNTIL JUST NOW". Good job Kumiko, you got her real good.

Excited for the final episode and the Competition. As much as I abhor the Hetero vs Yuri war going on, I would love to have a second season to watch how the band develops further. Would love to see the moment Hazuki actually becomes good enough to join the other three.

Oh, and Midori didn't get many closeups this episode, but she's still cute as a pickle in every shot she appeared!
L-RyoshiJun 23, 2015 1:58 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 23, 2015 1:55 PM

Mar 2013
Someone protect Natsuki's beautiful smirk.

Jun 23, 2015 1:58 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Really carries the emotion with the running scene at night where Kumiko wants to improve. Brilliant. Good job, KyoAni!

It's always been in Kumiko's mind that Taki-sensei has abandoned her, but he didn't. Taki-sensei, aren't you being a troll? lol. Anyway, this should help encourage Kumiko to improve and won't stay depressed anymore.
Jun 23, 2015 2:01 PM

Jun 2015
Another great episode. Just about everything was perfect....especially that animation . Hope Kumiko gets that part down.
Jun 23, 2015 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
MojoMako said:

Count me in, m8 ;)
Jun 23, 2015 2:14 PM

Jul 2010
Really good episode here this time (well, again i should say, because last few episodes were really good), and damn i really love Kumiko's seiyuu.
Jun 23, 2015 2:25 PM

Dec 2011
The animation on the bridge with Kumiko shouting "I want to improve!" was really something.
Kumiko learned it the hard way, the pain that Reina felt back then :(

At least Taki-sensei still remember what she said, come on, you can do it!

Kumiko was such a troll at the end, poor Reina was so shocked that she dropped her water bottle, and she even ignored her for Eupho-kun XD

One more episode... can't wait already. I really hope there would be a second season of this series.
Jun 23, 2015 2:41 PM

Apr 2014
Why do they even bother showing Sapphire and Hazuki in the OP anymore? If they're advertised as 'main characters' why do literal side characters receive more screentime and development than them? It makes no sense. I bet some of you have forgotten they even exist outside of the OP reminding you of their existence at the beginning of each episode.
Jun 23, 2015 2:46 PM

Feb 2009
I'm happy that Reina was humble enough to apologize, and I'm glad that Kumiko could admit that her passive stance of playing euphonium wasn't working anymore. That emotion really takes guts. And while I wish there were more yuri scenes for me to obsess over, all I really want is a second season now.

Jun 23, 2015 3:17 PM

Jun 2014
Lol Kumiko only cares about Euph-kun now Reina xD
Jun 23, 2015 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, I thought Kumiko would be better with 7 years of experience
Jun 23, 2015 3:45 PM

Dec 2013
_Charl said:
MojoMako said:

Count me in, m8 ;)

I see your Natsuki, and I raise you an Asuka!

Kidding.
For real though, I'm with you there. Natsuki's interactions with Yuuko makes it easy for me to forget about some of the stupider things that the later has done. It feels like the director is using her to reintegrate Yuuko back into the viewers good books with her trolling antics. Like this gem from last episode
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 23, 2015 3:46 PM

Oct 2013
I have to hand it to Kyoani for managing to increase the drama in a plausible fashion. I have to agree that the running scene was brilliant. I thought it was cool how there was a cut away to the oncoming traffic. Very nice.
Jun 23, 2015 3:53 PM

Apr 2014
Wanting to improve on what one lack...such feel.
Looking forward to see if they will win the competition...and hoping to see some confession as well.
Next episode will be the last and will be a good ending...I hope.
Jun 23, 2015 3:54 PM

Jun 2015
Beautiful animation. That "I want to get better" moment was beautiful.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Jun 23, 2015 4:02 PM

Aug 2013
Nice episode, The second half was really well animated, Oumae's seiyuu did a great job !
Jun 23, 2015 4:13 PM

Mar 2015
The frustration of not getting something right regardless of how much effort you put in... man it hit home. As someone mentioned earlier, the VA for Kumiko did an excellent job portraying it. Man, it tugged at my heart a lot.

In regards to Suichi not getting a lot of screen time... I do feel like his time went downhill... and while that makes me sad, the show's main focus is on Kumiko and Reina. I may be mistaken... but I went in figuring that the show was going to really be about them, and then a little of Hazuki and Saphire...

I don't know though.

I enjoyed this episode though :)
Jun 23, 2015 4:20 PM

Apr 2015
curiousheathy said:

In regards to Suichi not getting a lot of screen time... I do feel like his time went downhill... and while that makes me sad, the show's main focus is on Kumiko and Reina. I may be mistaken... but I went in figuring that the show was going to really be about them, and then a little of Hazuki and Saphire...

bastek66 said:

Shuichi isn't important in first volume of book at all. Same goes to Hazuki and Midori which were only promoted to main cast in OP/ED and merchandise by KyoAni to keep their usual 4 girls ensemble.
#CHEXIT
Jun 23, 2015 4:34 PM

Feb 2014
Damn the animation when Kumiko was practicing alone and when she was shouting "I want to improve" was so fucking good! I could watch that all day and still be impressed by it.

This episode made me realise how good Kumiko is as a character, not saying she wasn't before, but this episode really showed that.

I'm expecting something amazing for the finale next week... it probably won't disappoint me since Kyoani always finds a way.
Jun 23, 2015 4:36 PM

Nov 2014
Reina's reaction when Kumiko said she was with Taki-sensei <3
Hi there
Jun 23, 2015 4:45 PM

Oct 2011
They better make Tuba and Eupho-kun merch

Forum icon by Yandere

Jun 23, 2015 5:05 PM

Oct 2012
Slice-of-life done perfect. They really managed to catch the troubles of one girl's heart. Actually, I'm tempted to watch this episode again just for a greatness of it.

It's is nice to see Kumiko finally realizing she loves what she's doing, mainly because she was hating euphonium at the beginning. It is clear that what she lacked the most was self-confidence and set-out goal . We also got nice down to earth interactions with her sister, not to mention cute sign of jealousy from Reina in the end (have you noticed she dropped her bottle off screen? brilliant!)

And the animation... well, I'm almost speechless, those details, emotions, glances, gestures, all the composition... and many clever camera angles and cuts.

KyoAni at its best!
Jun 23, 2015 5:12 PM
Mar 2013
kyle8998 said:
Reina's reaction when Kumiko said she was with Taki-sensei <3

I kinda knew how Reina felt at the time. But I can say, "Hey Reina, you don't have to worry about that. Taking a look at Kumiko, it is quite obvious that Taki-sensei is less important to her than Eupho-kun. :-)"
Jun 23, 2015 5:24 PM

Jun 2014
When Kumiko and Reina played together, Kumiko was playing a lot worse than all her other attempts... I was hoping that was going to be her best attempt.
Jun 23, 2015 5:54 PM

Jun 2013
Kumiko had a nose bleed
Jun 23, 2015 6:09 PM

Jul 2014
Kumiko's nosebleed scene...
- this was tasty. :D
Jun 23, 2015 6:11 PM

Sep 2013
You can do it, Kumiko-chan. The animation omg!!! No one does it like KyoAni! :D
Jun 23, 2015 6:13 PM

Mar 2013
Axelucard_ said:
Kumiko had a nose bleed

wonder what kind of lewd thought she was thinking
Jun 23, 2015 6:21 PM
Mar 2015
I think KyoAni is good at making a running scene lol. That scene where kumiko was running and crying with the "I want to improve part" was so good.
I find Kumiko x Shuuichi moment adorable when they are talking to each other on the bridge.. ahaha.
But they are still practicing in this episode, will they make it to kansai competition with just one episode ? maybe they will create a sequel for this anime.. Hope it's not OVA or Movie, TV series would be good.
Jun 23, 2015 6:31 PM

Apr 2012
great ep, Kumiko running and thinking she wants to improve was nicely done.

Although Kumiko and Shuichi screaming at each other was pretty funny.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jun 23, 2015 6:41 PM

Jan 2011
Lol Natsuki's got that Charile Brown Run.

but man this show sure came as a surprise every week has been really solid episodes non stop not the mention the animation hasn't dropped.
Jun 23, 2015 6:43 PM

Nov 2014
that running scene was perfect added with the VA and the next scene with the childhood friend...

5/5
Jun 23, 2015 6:45 PM

Apr 2015
I cried at the "I want to improve" scene.
Great ep.
Jun 23, 2015 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode, I can't wait to see how Kumiko is going to develop after this, I hope she gets the chance to play in the competition. I love KyoAni and their beautiful visuals, the animation in this episode was perfect imo.

Kind of sad to know that next week will be the last one.
Jun 23, 2015 7:15 PM

May 2013
Btw since the anime is ending next week, where can i find the LN's summaries?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jun 23, 2015 7:17 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode as always! :)
Jun 23, 2015 7:46 PM

Dec 2012
This show has been great and this one exemplifies that. That running scene was extremely powerful in terms of execution and emotional buildup. So sad this ends next week
Jun 23, 2015 8:15 PM

Nov 2007
Thank you KyoAni. I said the season will end with Kumiko x Euphonium and it happened!

The realization was fantastically done. That animation was magnificent. Kumiko proved why I always said she is the best girl.
Shuuichi and Kumiko scenes were fantastic. Loved how they broke the wall with their wind instruments from the two banks of the river. And then shouting their lungs out later on!

But the best part for me in the episode:

Reina: Is that what you called me out about?
Kumiko: Umm. Actually, I was alone with Taki-sensei until just now.
//That Reina Pause//
Kumiko: And then Taki-sensei said I — Huh! Eupho-kun? Wait, Reina! Look over here!
//That poor water bottle//
Reina: Kumiko... what was that just now? (Kumiko*totally ignoring*: It's Eupho-kun!)
Reina: Hey... (Kumiko: What do I do~?)
Reina: What did you mean you were alone with sensei? (Kumiko: Wait! Wait! Wait!)
Reina: Hey... Kumiko?!
Kumiko: Yay! Got it! Got it in first try!
Reina: Kumiko...
Kumiko: I like the euphonium!
Reina: Kumiko!
shanimebibJun 23, 2015 10:44 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 23, 2015 9:09 PM

Jan 2011
Reina jelly of Kumiko's alone time with Taki-sensei.
Jun 23, 2015 9:34 PM

Apr 2015
shanimebib said:
Thank you KyoAni. I said the season will end with Kumiko x Euphonium and it happened!

The realization was fantastically done. That animation was magnificent. Kumiko proved why I always said she is the best girl.
Shuuichi and Kumiko scenes were fantastic. Loved how they broke the wall with their wind instruments from the two banks of the river. And then shouting their lunges out later on!

But the best part for me in the episode:

Reina: Is that what you called me out about?
Kumiko: Umm. Actually, I was alone with Taki-sensei until just now.
//That Reina Pause//
Kumiko: And then Taki-sensei said I — Huh! Eupho-kun? Wait, Reina! Look over here!
//That poor water bottle//
Reina: Kumiko... what was that just now? (Kumiko*totally ignoring*: It's Eupho-kun!)
Reina: Hey... (Kumiko: What do I do~?)
Reina: What did you mean you were alone with sensei? (Kumiko: Wait! Wait! Wait!)
Reina: Hey... Kumiko?!
Kumiko: Yay! Got it! Got it in first try!
Reina: Kumiko...
Kumiko: I like the euphonium!
Reina: Kumiko!

Guess Kumiko loves Euphonium-kun more that Reina. Well, Reina don't love her either. Reina loves mature people like Sensei.
#CHEXIT
Jun 23, 2015 10:15 PM

Nov 2007
Imeon said:
Guess Kumiko loves Euphonium-kun more that Reina. Well, Reina don't love her either. Reina loves mature people like Sensei.

I don't think so. Kumiko and Reina's feelings for one another are mutual. Shouting back at that poor guy though. It's hopeless. A sequel would be nice
Coronavirus.
Jun 23, 2015 10:37 PM

Jun 2013

The entire episode looked like this... Holy hell, Kyoto Animation, why u so good?

And Kumiko's come full circle ("I'm so upset, I could die."). Her development is just as beautiful as the animation.
Jun 23, 2015 10:42 PM

Nov 2007
-Trippwire- said:
And Kumiko's come full circle ("I'm so upset, I could die."). Her development is just as beautiful as the animation.

I kept on telling everyone why I consider this as the anime of Spring 2015.
Coronavirus.
Jun 23, 2015 11:12 PM

Oct 2013
MrJc said:
Smudy said:
The scene where Taki announced that only Asuka would play the part lacked so much impact, terribly done.

Not really that's how it was when I was in band. The Director would just cut a part witha person and you just move on.

Well it wasn't supposed to be flashy. It was supposed to feel quick and sudden like nothing much happened as Kumiko described afterwards.
Jun 23, 2015 11:53 PM

Apr 2015
shanimebib said:
Imeon said:

I don't think so. Kumiko and Reina's feelings for one another are mutual. Shouting back at that poor guy though. It's hopeless. A sequel would be nice

I meant romantically not love her. You know my ship. >_<
#CHEXIT
Jun 23, 2015 11:57 PM

Aug 2008

A really good scene. It's one of the top ones of the entire anime too. It highlights really well how she went from an uncaring nobody to somebody that actually wants to succeed.
That being said, it feels like they're gonna end this anime in a cliffhanger or partway... I smell a possibility for a 2nd season. I mean, there's no way they're going to show them going to the nationals next episode... We'll see.
Jun 24, 2015 12:47 AM
Nov 2010
So many great parts about this anime but definitely the running part was the most moving. Seeing her frustration acted out was so real and palatable. I could taste those salty tears. Bring it back full circle made it so much more meaningful.

Anyone else have nose bleeds like that? One time I was getting ready for a parade in a band uniform and I had a bleeding nose. My uniform was white, my gloves were white, i stooped over to keep it from getting on my uniform lol. Not enough water? xD

I really loved the development of Kumiko....when they brought up in the dialogue of her being detached and now wanting to be special made me really think about her change as well.

I'm really glad the teacher re-emphasized his expectation that she would practice...it was so sad to see her upset like that. Having ur goal crushed... =<
Jun 24, 2015 1:51 AM

Jun 2013
This episode made me really really like Kumiko. Wow she got me when she started crying, and then being happy again :D

LOL at the part where Reina just zones out when Kumiko mentions Taki sensei hahahaha.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
Apr 24, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.