Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2015 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this got released recently...

Quite interesting actually with the space exploration and battles especially with the Milky Way Galaxy. Not only that but there's a lot of laws of nature being defied. The Gatlanteans are quite the interesting people though especially with the world fiction going on in their universe.

Soundtrack and overall artwork was great.

Jun 10, 2015 12:54 PM

Jun 2012
Contains everything that made Yamato 2199 great

>Focus on an ensemble cast where a large group of characters get their chance to shine and develop
>Gorgeous Artwork
>Awesome space battles
- Seriously, the movie gives the series its best space battle yet thanks to the Yamato not being able to just mow everyone down with the Wave Motion Gun

Slight spoiler:

Last and importantly not least... BLUE SPACE WAIFUS
Jun 11, 2015 12:39 AM

Feb 2012
The idea of a battleship hotel is pretty damn cool, I feel like watching the series that has to do with this movie now to get more context however it was still very enjoyable without knowing all the character backgrounds and such.
Jun 11, 2015 4:06 AM

Mar 2015
Went into it without any expectations and I thought that this was a really good movie.It had everything that made the OVAs so good and the artwork + action was really nice to look at.And do I even need to say how epic the OST is? ;D
Really fun and enjoyable movie.
Jun 11, 2015 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
This was damn great,I enjoyed it immensely.

I really hope that OVA series will get a sequel.
Jun 11, 2015 2:01 PM

Jul 2010
That final space battle is probably one of the best one I've ever seen. And the rest of the movie was excellent with amazing OST.

I need more Space Battleship Yamato in my life, please do something more.
Jun 12, 2015 3:21 AM
Jun 2015
Really enjoyed the movie, hope there will be more!
Jun 12, 2015 10:13 AM

Apr 2012
Its the final end ? Or more oavs/special/movie ?
Jun 12, 2015 8:48 PM

Aug 2008
Satisfaction plateau : check.

This movie was so so so good! I hope they will continue expanding the Yamato franchise!! More Shima please

And seriously, it was bad for my shipper heart. Another pairing appeared on the crew! ^///^
KuriniJun 12, 2015 8:59 PM
Jun 13, 2015 8:53 PM

Jan 2008
Kinda freaky when the paper bag of food Melch was about to eat, turned out to be a bag of...people. I'd be shitting myself if I were in his shoes knowing what I was eating. At least he doesn't have to remember that anymore, because Melch be dead.

It's a good thing the Jirellans' race wasn't extinct, since that happened to the two sisters and all. Despite losing their original home-world, they still got quite the large space ark of planetary proportions. I doubt they have any weaponry on it though, hence why they have to resort to luring in the enemy to make them kill each other.

I wish we got to see more of First Minister Sabera of the Gatlanteans, and Loerelai Loer of the Jirellans. Those two ladies look like interesting characters.

I hope they continue with this series with another movie, OVA, or better yet a second season. They still haven't made it home or fulfill their goal of restoring their planet after all.

Edit:
1. Found out that the official English title is Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark. Unfortunately, I can't edit it for some reason.
2. Chronologically, this movie takes place between Episodes 24-25, making this a Spin-off or Side, story instead of a sequel.
Source: http://yamato.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato_2199:_Odyssey_of_the_Celestial_Ark#cite_note-6
Estoy_GordoJun 13, 2015 10:13 PM
Jun 14, 2015 10:59 AM

Apr 2013
Great movie, quality just as fine as in the OVA series, and the space battle at the end was excting too.

I hope so much, that there will be a sequel to the series.
Jun 17, 2015 9:18 AM

Aug 2014
I like the focus on minor characters. Yamato is sexy as always. Berger and his Guipellon were badass. That Gervades was tacky as hell, but Neredia/Fake Neredia were hot. The Medalusa has some really nice curves too, though we're unlikely to see much more of the Gatlantis. Such good characters. Jirellians always make things fun.
Sieg Zeon!
Jun 28, 2015 4:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Felt like a supersized episode of the series, and that's never a bad thing. It's a shame Yamato 2199 doesn't get a proper Western release. It's such a well done franchise.

The final battle was really well choreographed. The anchor attack was awesome too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 3, 2015 3:16 PM

Aug 2008
The world of Anime, especially in todays age, needs more stuff like this.
Jul 11, 2015 5:25 PM

Jun 2013
Great show. But is it the end? I hope it gets a sequel.
Jul 13, 2015 7:13 AM

May 2014
After watching the OVA series last year, I was damn sure this movie will be as good or even better.. and I was not wrong!

Would be great if this series could get more seasons or even movies!
Jul 18, 2015 5:52 PM

Feb 2008
Pretty much the quality of the OVA without the stupid DEMs. Really good stuff, although I wish they developed some existing characters further, rather than introducing new ones.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 26, 2015 8:36 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Excellent movie. More hints on the progenitor race called Aquarians.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 31, 2015 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
Fucking epic I loved every second of this movie
MisterPuma said:
The world of Anime, especially in todays age, needs more stuff like this.

Indeed they need to stop making stupid ecchi/harem/moe shit already.
Aug 23, 2015 4:13 PM

Mar 2012
That was really, really good. Hats off to the crew behind this film.

I can't wait to listen to the OST.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 27, 2015 4:21 PM

May 2014
Everything that made the OVA series so amazing was back again in the movie. Such an amazing space drama, love the action, unique planets, artwork and OST. Hope we get an official announcement on season 2, pretty sure it was teased a while back.
Jan 11, 2016 8:26 AM

May 2012
What a great movie, this is a great addition to the story I must say, quite original and interesting and pretty much fits perfectly in before the last episode!

All in all a great movie, now I really can't wait to see the second season!
Jan 30, 2016 5:51 AM

Nov 2011
wait a minute, was ALL OF THIS supposed to happen before the final episode of the OVA series?????

?¿??¿WTF¿

it would've been REAL sweet if they had been able to patch it all up IN the series
it was such a big fucking waste
Suave Suwabe had a main role but in a story that comPLETELY WENT PLACES

they think referencing the Stanley Witch of space would be cool for fans but NIGGA IT DON'T MATTA FO SHIT IF THE CHARACTERS DON'T ACT NOR LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THEY DO IN THE OG '74, let alone LEIJI CHARACTERS

some character designs were fucking GREAT like that Neredia hoe and the Jirellans
the art in the book which she told the story of to that generic ass what's-that-bitch's-name Kiryuu was TIGHT

there were so many interesting concepts such as the Jirellans themselves and the gigantic, invisible ship-thing they live in, their super science, and the whole travelling the universe thing

but again, that shit don't matter cos the characters act like fucking highschool kids fresh out of middle school who blush every 5 seconds and the story is being sold at the milk section

literally the ONLY thing saving this thing from the depths of 4 and below is the beautiful visuals
fucking otaku fanservice shit
Sep 11, 2016 4:42 PM
Sep 2016
HybridMBL said:
Contains everything that made Yamato 2199 great

>Focus on an ensemble cast where a large group of characters get their chance to shine and develop
>Gorgeous Artwork
>Awesome space battles
- Seriously, the movie gives the series its best space battle yet thanks to the Yamato not being able to just mow everyone down with the Wave Motion Gun

Slight spoiler:

Last and importantly not least... BLUE SPACE WAIFUS

May I please ask where you watched this episode:? Ive been trying to find it for ages XD
Dec 31, 2016 6:01 AM

Nov 2011
Side-story filled with spectacular battles but with little tactic and too many bravado. In addition, the new characters seem to me a little spotty. However, if you are hungry and want a war action scenes worthy, or almost, like those that are seen in various Gundam's series, then this movie is for you, but not just for that. Narratively you have a déjà vu with events related to the series of Star Trek, but removed this other defect, it is usable and can not be redundant in the events, except for the battles. Pleasant is the fact that the main characters are not always the same, but there is a sort of passing of the baton during the narration. Drawings and animations, very good, special effects and CG, not really superlative, but the level remains high in quality. Catchy soundtrack.

7.75/10
Jul 26, 2017 8:18 PM

Mar 2012
Solid side story, all I can really say...usually side story movies are kinda meh, but this one stayed pretty consistent with the tv series

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 27, 2017 2:44 PM

Jan 2014
Posted this on the 2202 forum too, but maybe I'll have more luck here:

Does anyone know where I can get Gamillan tobacco (I imagine it to be something like kretek), or at least one of those fancy Gamillan horizontal oriented torch lighters.

"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 27, 2018 5:02 PM

Aug 2014
While I did not fully understand the whole Jirellian thing, the movie was overall good. The final battle was awesome. Honestly did not care for those minor side characters, though. I mean we barely saw them in the series, so a connection to those characters were never there for me so I did not care to see them.
Nov 20, 2018 6:45 AM

Mar 2016
The first five minutes of this movie and the last five minutes managed to contain more emotion than the entire TV series it comes from. This was a lot of fun, with great imagery, and an intriguing little story that managed to portray a huge scale despite never losing focus. I liked this a ton more than the series, maybe because the boring main cast and their boring interactions stepped aside for something a little different. The cute linguist was a nice addition, but the random side characters are better than the main cast.

Glad I didn't skip this one.
Jan 6, 2020 4:40 PM

Aug 2017
That was surprisingly good. I loved the space hotel story, it really reminded me of "Magnetic Rose" (the first film in the "Memories" compilation). I wonder whether it has any connection to the original franchise, like maybe it's a reimagining of sorts. Or is it a completely new story leading into the second season (I suppose we'll see more Gatlantis)?
I liked the relationships between the characters. There was a bit more highlight to Akira's affection for Kodai, I'm glad the creators didn't throw her feelings in the trash bin. And the Gamillas here were cool, Fommt is a badass. Glad he was able to overcome his lust for revenge.
Pretty much the only problem I have with this movie is Gatlantis. Its concept is so ridiculous that it's borderline stupid. Am I seriously witnessing a technologically advanced empire with people wearing plate armor and wielding swords? Are you kidding me? This is as close to a caricature as it can get. Even Desler is a more interesting antagonist than Gatlantians. I'd be fine with just another militaristic civilization, but this barbarian aesthetic and swords are just too much, I can't accept it! They were even having a big pig-like creature and a feast! That was so stupid. I also wish there was a bit more information about how Gamilas got inside this hotel. Should I assume they accidentally warped there, too, or what? Also interesting how they got out, since we can see Analyzer coming to the rescue of the Yamato crew, but nothing like that for Gamilas. How did they get their green ship back?
On the bright side though, I appreciated the appearance of new Jirel characters and an ancient civilization of Aquaris, that was satisfying. And of course the real Yamato! That was so cool and nostalgic (especially for Japanese viewers, I guess), the creators just had to stick the real Yamato inside the show! The internal design of the ship hotel was great too, I absolutely adored all the paintings there, and the artwork of a fairytale was amazing. Overall, it's a strong 8/10. I'm looking forward to the 2202 OVA. The more I learn about Yamato, the more I think of watching all of the original franchise too.
St0rmbladeJan 6, 2020 5:12 PM
Jul 8, 2020 10:29 AM

Nov 2018
I'm surprised at how good this movie is, my guess is that it acts as a prequel to 2202 series as they just arrived back to Earth

The music and animation is as good as the OVA series, we hear some new tunes and spins of the main tune. I'm not too sure about the CG, but it's still better than most of what you see nowadays, so no complaints there. The fighting was quite good, the new super weapon the enemy has is quite cool and packs one hell of a punch

The characters are about the same, we get introduced to some new aliens and enemies.

The themes and atmosphere was very dark and mysterious which was great to see. I especially loved the hotel scene.

The world building was quite good, as it was unique with the introduction of new worlds and the Aquarian's homeworld/spaceship vessel thingy.

Overall, I thought this was quite a good movie that didn't disappoint me (with regards to being a side story).

8/10

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Dec 10, 2020 2:34 PM

May 2015
I'm surprised that only 5000 people completed this on MAL, everyone who watched the first season should watch this one too.
May 12, 2022 2:25 PM

Aug 2014
This was a fine movie. Its best to be seen after episode 25 of 2199

Im very surprised that there is no English Dub nor has it been licensed.
Jun 10, 2023 9:11 PM

Jul 2009
Even though this was totted as a "Spin-off" It's actually a sequel that takes place 6-7 months after S1 Ending.

Pretty much the timeline before they reach back home at earth.

Animation is gorgeous! Production IG/Studio Xebec too good!

What is a bit weird about this is the focus on Mikage Kiryu (https://myanimelist.net/character/132399/Mikage_Kiryuu) which I actually forgotten about her (She's mainly a background) at the deck crew.

Her personality and feel is similar to Yuria Misaki (https://myanimelist.net/character/79845/Yuria_Misaki), which is weird again since not ONCE did she appear in the movie.

Maybe she was inside of Yamato protecting the Wave Gun? Yurisha is no longer on-board.

Also, I love the reference with the Jirelle sisters. It was sad that they thought they were the only ones left and was killed, but it seems their race has been preserve, even though it's very few and between.

Will be watching Yamato 2202 next week or so!

Can't wait!!

8-9/10

Oct 31, 2023 10:17 PM
Jul 2014
i'm the only one that don't did it like the movie? i found it very generic and the villain was really goofy and bland. This kind of movies of "villain of the week" are fine for franchises like Dragon Ball or Naruto, but with Yamato dont feel right

More topics from this board

» Is this english dubbed?

Kirishiba - May 17, 2021

1 by removed-user »»
Dec 13, 2021 9:15 PM

» The Movie

dustinator1991 - Jan 21, 2015

12 by CapedBaldy21 »»
Oct 27, 2015 7:10 AM

» Preview #2

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2014

11 by Stark700 »»
Dec 16, 2014 9:22 AM

» New Key Visual

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2014

0 by Stark700 »»
Oct 9, 2014 10:48 PM

» Preview/Trailer

Stark700 - May 15, 2014

2 by Stark700 »»
Jul 20, 2014 12:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.