Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 29, 2015 2:16 PM

Aug 2009
felipegomid said:

- "Hi, my name is Luin and I've lost the fight and didn't stop the future dictator, but that's ok, that ship is really beautiful"
- "Hi, I'm from Venus Globe and I have this WTF idea that war is the history's motor; because of that I've been killing some people; I've lost the fight, but that's ok, I'm pregnant"
- "Hi, my name is Aida and I was useless as always"
- "Hi, my name is Klim and I order this ship, a peaceful future symbol, to crash that guy"
- "Hi, my name is EverySingleCharacterOf TheShow, and my ideals are obscure, but I keep fighting and yelling ideological and disconnected bullshit"

Well. I couldn't say it better, especially the last one.
This show was a disappointment in his writing / characters ...
5/10
EmelikkuMar 29, 2015 2:20 PM
Mar 29, 2015 6:26 PM
Jul 2014
King_of_Devils said:
ChocoBar9 said:
Third I highly doubt anyone who hates G-Reco or consider worse than Destiny have any clue what they're talking aboutor have watched a good chunck of 80's mecha Gundam included.

You know this how exactly???

That is, believe or not....the second most Gneric response in The UC Fanbook. It's also bullshit cuz, if anything most of it's bad press comes from Gundam/UCFans. Not to mention, watching other 80s Mechs does'nt make this series any better, and it's nonsense if it can't stand on it's own feet

You know this how exactly?

Seriously mecha forums like /m/, mechatalk, somethingawful actually praised this show because they actually got it unlike you and the rest of the people here who didn't bother to pay attention. If anycase I'm not gonna take the opinion of a site that has Gundam Unicorn ranked higher than 0079.

Mod Edit: Inflammatory comments removed.
NTADApr 1, 2015 10:01 PM
Mar 29, 2015 9:18 PM

Sep 2009
This shows fucking ridiculous and im sad it's over.
It had such garbage storytelling but it was just consistently entertaining every week.
Mar 29, 2015 10:24 PM
Mar 2015
Enough of this.
The Show wasnt that bad. But not that good either.
It's mediocre.
The only thing I adore from this show is only the mecha design.

Now I crave for the real pirates, Like Crossbone Gundam Give me that Sunrise, Tomino-sensei.

I think Crossbone will make good animation, It will please veteran fans and Attract New and younger fans because the crossbone story is more simple than G-Reco.
Mar 30, 2015 9:34 AM
Aug 2009
Sad that this series have ended.T_T

Barara u will be missed.T_T And while the story feels not really explained or because the show move to fast, i missed them. I feel that the battle choreography is muchhhhhh better than many other Gundam shows. Even though G-Self is too OP tx to Perfect Backpack. The foes actually had more moves to try on Bellri. Tensai Klim also tries using numerous different moves on new enemies to actually beat the enemy rather than the enemy giving themselves like on the recent gundam battle.T_T

Overall, i am quite entertained with the series but i do feel that Tomino need some support on the dialogue as in this modern age, sometimes the flow of conversation in his show is a bit messy and can be highly confusing for people who is not paying attention for a bit of time.T_T
Mar 30, 2015 12:23 PM
Sep 2014
Ok ChocoBar9, If you really are what you say you are please present us arguments on how this show is really good.

If you don't really have any explanations besides "You guys are idiots, you guys don't understand the story and you guys are clowns." then I applaud you for being a good troll.

The way you speak of Tomino is as if he is your god.

Anyway, back on the topic, this show was ok for me (7/10).

I was annoyed at first about the random things that were happening in the episodes, but then I got used to the style of storytelling. I really like the art, the animation wasn't fluid (to make it look old school), but I do like the concepts of some of the ships and robots in the show (I love the Cresent Ship's design while the g-self was too overpowered. They only mentioned the word "Gundam" once in the show I believe.)

The way that characters in the show think is what confuses people. They are all friends for one second, then they try to kill each other, then they are back to normal as if they weren't enemies at all.

I feel like this show is like an easter egg hunt while watching it. There are funny moments and subtle things that we don't normally see on other animes. (like how they use the restroom while in the middle of a war for example)

It's a show that has serious moments, and then just brushes off those serious moments to move on with the plot which in turn disconnects the viewers on the importance of those moments. (Aida and Bell's real relationship, etc.) Although I do understand how they try to rush the plot in just a short amount of episodes.

Overall the most entertaining thing for me was just how this show never took itself seriously. (It is supposed to be a kid's show after all) The battles were good and the art designs were great as well. I just wished they had more time to explain the background story (like the Kuntalas) to make it easier for the viewers to connect to the show.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
NTADApr 1, 2015 10:05 PM
Mar 31, 2015 7:54 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that ended in the most classic TV series, with a last fight with no holds barred and with two deaths just to not to miss anything, though I wonder why those character had to die? Oh Well!
Plot that at least does not leave everything on hold, showing something definitive before the end of the episode, although in most cases, I did not understand much.
I wonder if there will be a seconsa season.
Narratively epsiodio latter also is not clear especially on the mode of action of the characters, for the rest, were pleasant clashes and the many mecha shown almost to the end.
Characters that were not enough characterized, but a certain charm were angry. Final rating for now of 6.5 / 10!
Mar 31, 2015 7:19 PM

Aug 2011
Nice ending. Unfortunately it was too rushed for me. I believe this needed a 2nd season or an expansion of the second part of the story.

» Escapism.

Apr 1, 2015 6:48 PM

Jun 2008
Cleaned a bit to remove the excessive insults.
Apr 1, 2015 11:17 PM

Feb 2013
Tachii said:
Cleaned a bit to remove the excessive insults.

The least you could do is go ahead and just delete the whole thing. Now it just looks like I pussied out halfway
Apr 2, 2015 6:44 AM

Sep 2011
Roloko said:

I don't know which Gundam death is the best this one or that one from Victory Gundam that involved a motorcycle. xD
That motorcycle one was pretty bad but i dont think its anything near as bad as some other deaths in the series let alone just in victory were, now bikkini babe death squad on jetpacks from victory on the other hand deserves full lol worthy status and i still think that might be even more wtf than that guy's death from G-reco.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 2, 2015 10:44 PM
Jan 2012
A 50-ep series condensed into a 25 ep series. Sunrise finds ways to fck over Tomino despite giving them this metaseries. Kinda sad that this'll probably his last anime to direct.
Apr 3, 2015 12:56 PM

Feb 2005
Total shit story, that's for sure.

Luckily I've long since stopped expecting good stories from Gundam, and the art, MS designs and battles were great, so that's a 5/10 instead of a 3.
But wow, seriously Tomino, go home, you're clearly drunk or something.
Apr 4, 2015 7:44 PM
May 2013
Overall 6/10 solid animation and action but the story and character motivations were completely nonsensical. People keep switching sides and noone even blinks an eye lol.
Apr 8, 2015 12:13 AM
Sep 2011
I think the main reason people find the show confusing is because the characters do stuff so incredibly stupid that the viewer assumes they missed something or that there was something they just didnt get. This is not the case. Well that and them making things needlessly obscure for the first 4 ish episodes. Yeah yeah be patient but it honestly didnt serve any purpose. Nothing would have been lost for them just to explain it to us sooner rather than later.

The show also has a fair amount of acronyms thrown around that arent explained well. SU-Cordism stands for space umbilical cordism for instance. Still dont know what the AG in the AG-Tech taboo stands for. (advanced is probly the A).

The kuntala thing wasnt made clear very early. For anyone who missed it, they were people that were eaten in days long past by the rest of the earthnoids when earth couldnt produce enough food. Although they are no longer eaten they still are looked down on because prejudice makes for good motivation for a sympathetic villain.

Whats sad is that there is the shell of a good story mixed in here. During the times the main cast of idiot children werent doing anything in the middle parts of the show some interesting things actually happened and i ended up fairly excited.

Im clear on most of the character motivations (even though many of them are insultingly shallow) but i have no idea why cumpa did everything he did. I mean he went to earth because he lost faith in humanity so he wanted them to get stronger from fighting wars but then you see him pretty constantly being annoyed and disappointed by the war loving earthnoids. HE caused the entire conflict. From what i understand he was also the one to leak hermes blueprint (for the purpose of starting and arms build up leading to a war).

Rayhunton stuff wasnt thoroughly explored. What the hell did they do that was so special. For a show whose theme is that you shouldnt inherit things from your ancestors, bellri had no problem using his to steamroll over everything.

The show did some small things that i really liked. For one thing, people bounced all around the hanger when the ship was getting bounced around. It wasnt the super stable room it is in many gundams and thats good to see. Also stuff like going to bathroom and suit heaters in space. Lots of little details that arent necessary but i feel enhance things.

As far as im aware they didnt reuse a SINGLE action sequence and although i feel that should be a requirement, its something previous gundams have done to an absurd level to the point of seeing the same set of ships get blasted the exact same way like 8 times in seed.

The best part though is just the randomness of occurrences. Characters seem genuinely surprised about stuff and react in a way i would consider realistically sometimes. As an example, when bellri shoots down cahill he doesnt think he actually killed him. It sets in on him later that he actually did. I guess i just feel that the characters react surprisingly realistically to random stuff going on and its contrasted so harshly with how nonsensically they react to other characters deliberate actions.

I love the point midway through the series where aida's dad goes through all this effort and rushes to earth with an atmospheric entry glider to stop the fleets launch and then the president is like, well i already told em to launch, and aida's dad just goes, oh, ok, guess il support you then.

I feel this series suffers from having its surface level story be far far dumber then its themes need it to be. The show also cant decide how serious it wants the viewer to take it. Major plot effecting decisions are made impulsively with no logic backing them up in a way thats "fun" but then they have real world consequences resulting in lots of deaths sometimes.

Speaking of disconnects this one is actually pretty common but it was still funny to see. Bellri shoots down the towasanga guy and gets all sad that he killed someone. Like 2 episodes later a pilot with less experience than him and a freaking cheerleader massacre an entire spaceship and they are all smiles. They killed more humans right there than bellri does in the whole series and come at it with a frighteningly childish attitude.

I guess most of the fighting in the show really just boil down to people being scared of each other and trying to take each other out before they can get taken out without many of them having a real reason to fight in the first place. Im not talking idealogically here either. I mean from a strategic point of view. Most of the fights werent actually over anything other than just trying to take out a threatening enemy. That theme is really shown throughout the whole show i guess. The fleets build up because they see the enemy building up in a cold war esque situation.

I was not a big fan of some of the combat. It honestly bordered on super robot. Half the people where beaten by punches and kicks. I can imagine tomino throwing that in and being like "see, its for kids". Their horrible rifle accuracy in the first half of the series is actually a little frustrating to watch.

Do they ever explain the iris codes? Early on cahill sees that bellri also has an iris code and then they just never go back to that and no one else seems to bring it up. Seems cahill knew more than everyone else at the time. Too bad he was a horrible pilot.

As far as the actual last episode i liked most of it. The fact that aida STILL was useless was almost refreshing. She never did one positive thing in a mobile suit yet she launched in nearly every fight. They didnt feel the need to have her finally matter. That and some of the other results create a bit of randomness that actually makes it feel more real in a way. Like the results wont be tied down to what would make the audience happy or genre convention. The downside is that it builds something up and then has zero payoff. I mean, there is a reason things normally stick to having main characters matter at one point or another.
(placeholder sig)
Apr 18, 2015 4:38 AM
Nov 2013
beavermml said:
King_of_Devils said:

You know this how exactly???

That is, believe or not....the second most Gneric response in The UC Fanbook. It's also bullshit cuz, if anything most of it's bad press comes from Gundam/UCFans. Not to mention, watching other 80s Mechs does'nt make this series any better, and it's nonsense if it can't stand on it's own feet

so true..

this gundam show fail miserably when needed to be defended by
1 - it's Tomino's work, its must be good
2 - it's the reminance of the 80's anime, it must be good..

People are not realizing that the original gundam ( 80s ) is also not good.. ( almost getting cancel )..why the gundam series boom in the first place is because of the Gunpla models.. ( that is why the artist fckup the design in G Gundam becoz Bandai demand they create anime for gunpla models sale )

beavermml makes a good point. Can this anime stand on it's own two feet? Would people like it if this is what passes for story-telling in everything now? The art direction was super, music, colors, the whole environment shebang, but this isn't how to tell a story. Most people watch something to see what happens, the way that is presented is part of the experience but not paramount. I can't say that I saw what happened. Context was weak, a good story has a strong context. This anime is a lot like Cloud Atlas; looks stellar, what are they trying to tell me?
Apr 18, 2015 10:14 AM

Apr 2011
Its finally over. That Bellri vs Luin fight was really good.

Despite how messy the series is. I still enjoyed this show.

I lol at Klim attempted to kill his dad using the crescent moon and Cumpa god thrown of a mountain and died from a fall. Mick Jack almost got killed. Well the whole cast except didn't.
die. Poor Noredo. Bell you jerk, at least left her Accompany you.

Not much to say, but I'm glad this show is over.

7/10 It was a fun entertaining ride.
Apr 20, 2015 12:49 AM

Aug 2010
BahamutZero said:
Well, looks like Destiny isn't the worst of the bunch anymore.

Destiny is leaps better than this. This was just jumbled nonsense
Apr 20, 2015 5:36 PM

Apr 2015
I just finished watching this series, and I absolutely loved it! (Though the war seemed to be resolved a bit too easily in this episode.)

I certainly liked this series much more than 00, and a bit more than Destiny. I'm not familiar with this Gundam fan community, so I don't know which series people like more than others or why.

I though Bellri was a breath of fresh air compared to the common silent angsty protagonists that many series seem to have. I also liked many of the characters.

The themes were interesting and not the usual for this sort of show, so that was good.

Obviously, this series had serious plotting issues - everything was rushed, but it was put together in a way that I still quite enjoyed it.
Apr 25, 2015 5:53 PM
Jul 2014
freeshype said:
beavermml said:

so true..

this gundam show fail miserably when needed to be defended by
1 - it's Tomino's work, its must be good
2 - it's the reminance of the 80's anime, it must be good..

People are not realizing that the original gundam ( 80s ) is also not good.. ( almost getting cancel )..why the gundam series boom in the first place is because of the Gunpla models.. ( that is why the artist fckup the design in G Gundam becoz Bandai demand they create anime for gunpla models sale )

beavermml makes a good point. Can this anime stand on it's own two feet? Would people like it if this is what passes for story-telling in everything now? The art direction was super, music, colors, the whole environment shebang, but this isn't how to tell a story. Most people watch something to see what happens, the way that is presented is part of the experience but not paramount. I can't say that I saw what happened. Context was weak, a good story has a strong context. This anime is a lot like Cloud Atlas; looks stellar, what are they trying to tell me?

You're all just making an assumption based on nothing.
May 21, 2015 6:48 AM

Jul 2011
6/10 - This is hell of a weird show.

I loved the classic feel of mecha battles, beautiful designs, and overall action during battles.
Yet I couldn't get who is fighting who and for what purpose :(

I know there are some good and bad factions in space, and good Ameria want to fight the bad guys while bad Capital Army disturb them (which is why they are evil and have the evil pyramid mobile suit of evil at some point I guess).

And that's all I understood. I don't get how the politics work in this world at all, I don't get why people randomly change allegiances and what their motives are. I tried searching for a plot synopsis thinking I missed things, but it didn't help. It was exhausting, considering it's not some symbolic show with deep meaning, just messy direction.

And finally I have no idea what is the conlusion of this series other than the fact that Bellri had defeated the "evil" Captain Mask.

This could easily have been 9/10 for mecha fanservice only if the story hadn't caused me so many headaches.
SwiftflashMay 21, 2015 6:59 AM
May 31, 2015 4:55 AM
May 2015
From everything I could read on this last episode I feel as if there are 4 types of viewers :
1- I watched the show, I understood the plot, what the factions were after and I enjoyed it
2- I watched the show, understood the plot but it's so cryptic as shit, I can't bring myself to enjoy it
3- I watched the show, I didn't understand anything that was happening but god is it badass with explosions, artstyle and shit, I liked it, too bad I didn't undestand anything
4- This show is shit, I can't understand anything.

I just binge watched the 26episodes (I watched weekly until ep5 and got fed up with it because I fell into category4) and I must say I enjoyed it.
Battles were ok, there's one soundtrack I enjoyed, artstyle was good.

What hooked me was the plot and that feeling of "ooooh, I see now!"
The plot how I understood it :
-Capital Guard : they receive photon batteries from the moon and give them out to everyone on earth, they have the monopoly on it
-Ameria : they are disatisfied with Capital's monopoly on photon batteries so they are going to war to free earth from Capital's evil reign
-Capital Army : pretty much used Ameria as an excuse to wage war
-Towasanga : they deliver photon batteries to Capital while monitoring them, installed the taboo to halt the development which would lead to war among humans
-Venus globe : basicaly, they want peace
-G-IT lab : they believe that war bring evolution

What was interesting to me is the taboo and SU-cordism were strong in everyone's mind. So strong that they were unable to fight near political landmarks. How the story unfolds was what hooked me during the mid to end show.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not planning to pay close attention to the story.
Jul 21, 2015 1:47 PM

Oct 2009
felipegomid said:

Bad points:
- "Hi, my name is Luin and I've lost the fight and didn't stop the future dictator, but that's ok, that ship is really beautiful"
- "Hi, I'm from Venus Globe and I have this WTF idea that war is the history's motor; because of that I've been killing some people; I've lost the fight, but that's ok, I'm pregnant"
- "Hi, my name is Klim and I order this ship, a peaceful future symbol, to crash that guy"
- "Hi, my name is EverySingleCharacterOf TheShow, and my ideals are obscure, but I keep fighting and yelling ideological and disconnected bullshit"

lmao, pretty much sums it up hahaha.

Ok I get all the themes and ideals behind the show, but the writing, directing and screenplay was a mess! I wish at least the characters acted rationally and behaved like actual people. Guess Sunrise didn't let Tomino have all the episodes he wanted, clearly the last arc was rushed and hardly made any sense. I don't even get how the war ended..though I am quite happy that Klim and Ringo survived, I was really expecting one of them to die :D

Besides that I absolutely adore the art style and animation, I hope we'll get to see more of this in the future! Had some fantastic battles, especially the last one.

It actually started out fairly good but then it just got worse.

6/10
Jul 26, 2015 9:55 PM

Mar 2013
Just finished watching it and to be honest I never understood what happened beyond episode 10 or so. It's too confusing. 6/10
Aug 8, 2015 7:17 AM
Aug 2015
I just finished watching this series, for me gundam age was better
Sep 5, 2015 6:50 PM

Jul 2015
The story is quite confusing but I'm enjoying it.
Nov 27, 2015 7:22 AM

Feb 2008
The show really felt like it was supposed to be 50eps but was cut short and rushed. It was one of the better Gundam shows post Turn A Gundam for a while, but the last few episodes weren't really good. Especially the final episode sucked ass as it was pretty random. It was still better than Seed, 00 and AGE, but that's not saying much. It's just a shame that it ended this way. It had a fun cast and nice visual style. All it needed was better pacing and 4 cours. Will probably settle with a 6/10. Now I hope the new Gundam show is better.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 24, 2016 6:44 AM

May 2009
Can't justify giving this more an a 4/10. I really tried liking it for the first few episodes. Tomino sillyness I can handle, but this.... is something else. They cram too many things at once. I'd rather watch the recent Fantastic Four movie.

I liked some of the designs of mechs here, especially the Montero.

G-Arcane was a waste. Barely did anything notable in 26 episodes. Deserves a better pilot. Aida is useless and so is that Noredo Nug girl.

Glad it was over though.
ArvsmageddonJan 24, 2016 6:11 PM
May 4, 2016 9:38 PM
Aug 2015
Watching the show when it was broadcasted week to week and without much context, I really enjoyed it. The animation harkens back to the series of old and had all the right Tomino quirks I've come to expect. The suit designs are really quite lovely and I'm disappointed there haven't been anything higher than a HG kit. My reaction back then was a 6/10

Just finished re-watching it a year later. I viewed the episodes back to back, a few a day. With everything I've heard and read over the last year about the show, I really came to appreciate it and love it all the more. I'm not a huge fan of stories that don't make me think deeper about what's going on. Sure I don't mind an easy show first thing in the morning or before bed at night. But this show is the meat and potatoes that really fulfill me. 8/10

Even as a big Gundam fan, this particular show has been on my mind enough that I felt I would benefit from another viewing. And yes, the bad is more noticeably bad, but the good is that much better and the story is still complex, but I wouldn't say hard to follow at all. It's just not for everyone...especially those that don't enjoy having a thought now and again.
Mar 16, 2017 1:55 AM

Dec 2015
There might be a movie (reworked compilation?) in the working!!

Tomino in Forbes: Gundam, G-Reco, his career, the future

@QuattroVaginas My bad, I thought it was still a wish of Tomino at that time. If you want more interviews, I made a list on my profile. (it's not advertising, I am just trying to spread "knowledge")
Also, I didn't expect an answer, particularly so soon, on this forum. I thought the G-Reco corner was dead.

February 7, 2021
@St0rmblade Thanks for confirming my suspicion : it's comprehensible. (I was baffled when I read Tomino's regrets: I had seen the last chunk of the series by then and it didn't sound like what I had watched). This main opinion is just born out of the larger part of watchers: "simulcast people" who...
- are used to "watched and forgotten" spoon-feeding shows that show up by dozens every TV season (this already makes Tomino their nemesis thanks to his storytelling habits),
- have no clue of U.C. (not like this is a true handicap here, but the recipe is totally foreign to them, they're mainly expecting a robots action show),
(In France, it was the first "simulcasted" Gundam for example: so, the simulcast watchers were from two origins, younger ones who never watched a Gundam or knew it from Wings fame, and young adults around my age who loved Wings on TV and/or Seed melodrama in fansub.)
Of course, a few U.C./Gundam afficionado disliked the series too, but it's a drop among them.

As for my watching...

Where's this Gundam (UC?) top ? Iknow the old one, but not the actualized version. (edit: I checked your marks, looks almost exactly like mines. Don't think you're alone.)
I love how you keep refering to Zeta in your Gundam appreciations. XD Did it become somehow the measure for Gundam failures?

Waiting for your Brain Powerd travel log ! (the 15years old me didn't watch it on T.V and when I wanted to try it as a Summer of Tomino thing, I failed to find a decently subbed copy past ep.1...)

St0rmblade said:
Didn't expect G-Reco to be your first UC Gundam though (even if in an incomplete form).
It also probably explains that baffling "criticism" that Toshio Okada spelled out about G-Reco's first 4 episodes.

I knonw it's strange to start with G Reco. ^^" (Still better than my first episodes of the whole franchise: Wing.) Amuro's saga, I mean the 0079 storyline was my actual first (of all) Gundam, I just happened to watch and read it fully way later than I learned about it (and the whole scenario).
Ahah, I thought the Okada reaction was so stupid the first time I've read it: he had a point on the fact Tomino was clearly expectig too much from today's audience but then he put himself in the same basket despite havig probably consumed lots of series with no spoon-feeding back when he was younger. Good thing to put " " on the word.

(What about Ima soko ni iru? I've read all of your comments back then.)
Rei_IIIFeb 7, 2021 6:40 AM
Mar 16, 2017 9:33 AM

Aug 2014
Rei366 said:
There might be a movie (reworked compilation?) in the working!!

Tomino in Forbes: Gundam, G-Reco, his career, the future

The movie was announced quite a while ago, not long after the series finished airing I believe. The interview was a good read though.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 27, 2017 6:28 PM

Nov 2008
i like how bell found a part of jaburo, and those two damaged zgoks.

Jan 10, 2018 11:41 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The worst Gundam series that i watch until now!!!
This last episode elapses quickly again, and the battle, one more time, was confused!!!

Well, Bellri starts in Japan his world travel tour!!!!
Jan 25, 2018 6:54 PM

May 2010
Okay, my take on this finally. Everyone here is fixated on the question "is it good or bad?" Am I the only one who doesn't care about value judgements like that? All I really want is to understand what the hell Tomino is thinking; quality is a secondary concern to me at this point. I was able to follow him all the way up to Brain Powerd, which I controversially rated a 10/10 and wrote a glowing review of. I think this is where I finally lost him, and I kinda feel like it was my fault. Like, it wasn't because of him that I was watching 20 other series at the same time, it wasn't because of him that I waited weeks between episodes and forgot many precious plot details in the process. Everything was spelled out in the anime, but only once because, for once, Tomino assumed we weren't retarded. I think the shame is on me, not him, that I failed to rise to the challenge.

Even so, I know that a lot in the anime was quite funny, and that this last battle while simultaneously re-entering the atmosphere was one of the most unique and intense I've ever seen. I have a feeling that this was great, even if I can't really know that for sure (since I didn't really know what was going on). I feel like a country hick in the museum of contemporary art, both embarrassed for my fellow hicks idiotically making fun of the art, and ashamed of myself for not really getting it either.
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 26, 2018 1:09 AM

Apr 2010
I wanted to enjoy it, but just couldn't. The way the characters changed from one episode to the next made no sense.

Bellri is an asshole. Left without even telling Noredo? C'mon, man.
Dec 4, 2018 7:07 AM

Mar 2016
The moral: if you want to end war, kill the people that start them.

I would say the last 10 minutes of this episode are the weakest parts of the entire series. Either way, this was a lot of fun. Klim's reasoning in crushing his father might be the most off the wall thing in the entire series, and the only moment that didn't make sense to me. He seemed to have a lot of fun fighting that war, Not entirely sure what confused so many people though. Even if you forgot the name of a ship or something, you don't watch anime to create a database, the general movement of the plot was very straight-forward.In fact, going into this knowing it was supposed to be 'hard to follow' I can't say it's much different from any other Tomino show I've seen.

The side characters have a lot of personality and the designs, art, colors, and animation are out of this world. There's also little touches here and there that make the constructed world feel so alive. The opposite of boring, I liked it quite a bit.

syncrogazerDec 4, 2018 7:50 AM
Nov 5, 2019 6:23 PM
Jul 2017
Wtf was this series even lmao. Total convoluted. I kept my rating a bit high b/c it seemed to be just on a verge of a breakout to greatness. As in the next episode it will all work together. Never did. Didn't really care about anyone. Had vague ideas on the sides of disagreement. Not that I cared for that anyway. Animation was cool, definitely had some flare of previous UC to it.

Did that kid at the end fly that ship over his dad? Lol, crazy series. Not rewatchable.
Nov 7, 2019 5:00 PM
Aug 2016
Wasn't able to go past episode 13 or was it 12 when they showed the new opening. I hit alt+F4 when i saw g-self jumping as the title card came in it made me feel nauseous. My main gripe with the show is the outdated looking visuals. Like every damn episode it looks very grainy. It was already bad enough that G-self looks like some cutesy jelly blob. Even gundam age, another show i disliked due to the lackluster visuals wasn't that grainy.Another reason why I dislike the show is we have an incompetent villain called Mr Mask.

This show made me watch UC series for the first time. Grandpa was an ugly looking shit uglier than this travesty. But i will be honest g-reco did not meet my visual expectations where as for grandpa i had no expectation for its' visuals since it came out way before i was born so i didn't feel like throwing up for grandpa. I was able to watch the UC shows. But yeah i feel that the movies will be another visual disaster since all they did to the visuals were add extra details without changing the base designs much.

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way an insult to people who like the show.
Feb 5, 2021 1:35 PM

Aug 2017
Another "double loop" as opposed to Dezaki-esque "triple loops" in Turn A. Interesting

Seems like the place of the final battle is not entirely new - those highlands (and the waterfall) could be seen in earlier episodes during Megafauna's travel to the Capital Tower

Mask's mobile suit falling like that into the water was (almost) an Inugami Famiy reference.

Flaminia seemingly got smaller. And she was experiencing that gravity.

Kun Soon wasn't interested in Chickara after all. Silly me who thought that.

Fukuchou face reveal! And Tomino's voice cameo at the end.

Chuchumy was not forgotten. I can be happy now.

So Luin was the first main (sort of) antagonist in UC (yes, this is UC) Gundam who unambiguously survived at the end. Huh. Unlike all those higher-ups and other politicians who got crushed by their ambitions. SU-cordism still prevails, the monopoly on Photon Batteries is still there, I guess.

"Women are amazing!" - we know, Tomino. The women-centered ending is an interesting complement to the themes of Victory, viewed through the lens of Tomino's changing views on the topic (due to his family).

Apparently Mask tai made the black haired girl pregnant, great job man!

Nothing implied that he did.

Do they ever explain the iris codes? Early on cahill sees that bellri also has an iris code and then they just never go back to that and no one else seems to bring it up.

That's a fair criticism.

Bellri failed Luin's expectations and just went on a journey around the world. Luin lost his reason to fight. G-IT's main goal was to repopulate the Earth. People can just stop fighting each other (like they historically did in many cases). And Kun Soon was just impressed - "there're Earthnoids like that too". Plus the main warmongers on all sides died, their forces suffering severe damage. Klim's ending was indeed weird a bit but I guess that's one way of dealing with a warmonger.

Overall: I just refuse to interact with the criticism of G-Reco as "incomprehensible". It just isn't. If it means anything, Urobuchi Gen praised it. I feel somewhat bad for Tomino who gave in to the haters and said that the show was complicated, not a success, etc, etc. While it's understandable that the story would've benefitted from more episodes and more screen time for the involved parties, the information given was still enough to figure what's going on, and enjoy the process (like I did). Despite spending plenty of time on battles (while having so few - for Tomino - episodes), they were less tiring than in Zeta, and I'd say more meaningful - though it'd be fine if there were less of them. And the political landscape was much more diverse and potentially interesting than in Zeta, too. G-Reco was good for what it was and for its length, with great potential - its reputation and rating on MAL (how's it in Japan, btw?) just baffles me. Though having a personal Gundam top list that's basically an inverse of what one would usually encounter on the Internet, I'm not surprised. Maybe Brain Powerd is also actually a decent show?

@Rei_III I still can't figure out whether you've seen past episode 9 thanks to your comment here and on ep. 16 xD

Most G-Reco reviews on MAL have been written without finishing the show. Ha.

P.S. I wonder if there's a possibility of a reworked ending in the last movie, or a sequel. Or a prequel.

P.P.S. The irony of Aida using her real name in ep. 1 as if it was fake (Rayhunton instead of Surugan). And I just looked up the priest's full name and apparently he's Noredo's relative haha. Explains their familiarity with each other.

Rei_III said:

Where's this Gundam (UC?) top ? Iknow the old one, but not the actualized version. (edit: I checked your marks, looks almost exactly like mines. Don't think you're alone.)
I love how you keep refering to Zeta in your Gundam appreciations. XD Did it become somehow the measure for Gundam failures?

What about my Ima Soko travel log though

The marks work fine as a top, yes. Though I've only recently spelled out to myself that Zeta actually ended up being my least favorite entry in UC (spin-offs probably warrant a separate top for themselves, it's wrong to compare short OVAs with 50ep long series), and Turn A would probably end up as a success measure, alongside with the original saga. I wonder where Hathaway's Flash will be placed, as well as Crossbone (if it ever gets animated, since I'm not the biggest fan of its mangaka's style).

"When I came back to the Internet" - this is such a funny line. Didn't expect G-Reco to be your first UC Gundam though (even if in an incomplete form).

I suspected that people's watching habits might have something to do with their response to Gundam (and anime in general), thanks for confirming my suspicions. It also probably explains that baffling "criticism" that Toshio Okada spelled out about G-Reco's first 4 episodes.

UPD: Urobuchi Gen's comments are awesome and reflect my impression of Mask and Bellri really well.
https://00tn2.blogspot.com/2016/02/urobuchi-gen-on-reconguista-of-g.html
St0rmbladeFeb 7, 2021 4:50 AM
Mar 15, 2023 1:48 PM

Nov 2014
Possibly my favorite post-Universal Century series that Tomino has directed. Though it doesn't hold a candle to Turn A in some places; I'd definitely recommend the movies when they're done.
Currently Watching: Yuru-Yuri
Apr 27, 2023 10:06 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed) I May still EDIT this
[Story] - 2.5   
[Art/Animation] - 5
[Sound/Music] - 3
[M-Character] - 2.5
[S-Character] - 4
[Enjoyment] - 3
[Overall] - 3.5
The Story, Placing and Setting and the constant switching of character form enemies to short allies is the main problem with this show to me they feel like they are all over the place. The Gundam G anime I have to say it has it up and down with the story telling. The art/animation was great, the art style and design of the characters really have to say brings out a lot of beautiful and energetic colors. One of the thing they kepi showing was wild life through out the show, to me at time's it felt unneeded. The main character Aida was my most liked and at time's I did not like Raraiya & Bell about have the time, same of the supporting characters were to me better. But Manny in the end wanting to kill Bell because she loved Mask dude... she went form good friends with Bell to wanting him to die... I was like WTF!.  

I also wanted to say This is my 3rd Gundam series I have watched, the main reason I watched this Gundam show was because of the main Artist  Yoshida, Kenichi he had manly important role to this show form. Episode Director, Animation Director, Key Animation, Character Design, Chief Animation Director as said in the detail list of the staff. HE was a big part in my Favorite Anime of all Time Eureka Seven.      
CcCharlesApr 28, 2023 12:37 AM
Dec 6, 2023 2:49 AM

Jul 2017
One of the most shallow and poor endings i have ever seen, the coolest thing were the Z'Gok in the cave.
Overall this show is a big missed opportunity, the art and animation are good, the action is decent and the mecha design is cool but the show suffers a lot in the writing and plot department, it's really confusing, not very clear and badly explained.
Like the characters switch sides without explaination and their motives are always obscure and hard to understand.
I liked the show but to say its good is a lie.

6/10 and i'm very generous.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2014

153 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jan 20, 6:28 PM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

29 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 2:17 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2015

26 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 1:45 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2015

22 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:59 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2015

19 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.