Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 2, 2015 2:32 PM

Oct 2012
This was really something. I really didn't expected it would move me so much.
Sure, it was the last Ghibli movie but certainly one of the best. Kinda reminded me of Arietty but it was a lot better. And I liked there was no supernatural in the end, everything just fit together pretty well. It's kinda sad that there is no other studio that can do these movies so well.

I absolutely loved this anime. It was bit slower in the beginning but that just added to calm countryside atmosphere I enjoyed. Its music, animation, pacing and even storytelling were working together just great and its almost perfect capture of daily life was presented so naturally I was in awe all the time.
I like how the dreams and memories were greatly blended with reality and in the end it was very thoughtprovoking experience.

9/10 Will recommend this to anyone.
Aug 5, 2015 6:52 AM

Aug 2015
I've heard to be a very depressing movie..
But I'll definently give it a shot anyways!
I owe my life to Hayao Miyazaki
Aug 23, 2015 10:53 PM

Apr 2013
First time I cried to a movie in a long while. Fantastic as always Studio Ghibli.
Powerful eyebrows.
Sep 8, 2015 6:52 AM

Sep 2008
It was a good movie but there were a couple of scenes that bored me.

I wish the soundtrack wasn't so damn boring and forgettable.

The part where Hisako was telling them about Marnie really reminded me of that one part in Clannad After Story. They even threw in the sunflowers and a train straight after.
Sep 18, 2015 5:09 AM

Apr 2013
Some good drama in the end but the rest of the movie was like ......

Lockensocke said:

^ Would have been a GAR story :D
Always-HungrySep 18, 2015 5:30 AM
Sep 23, 2015 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
So much shoujo-ai undertones but i liked it, Marnie's story was so sad but i really loved the way it was slowly unraveled, the first time Marnie couldn't see Anna i felt chills go down my spine for some odd reason XD

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 27, 2015 3:50 PM

Jan 2013
Just finished watching it, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. A nice Swansong for Ghibli.

The only thing that I can think of that I disliked was when her 'mother' gave her the picture and Anna said "so that's who it was". I felt it really painted Anna as a bit daft due to her not getting it when the Painterwoman told her the story, because it looked like she figured something out when she heard it.

The reason why it bothered me is that it seems like they mostly did it to really hammer the point home to those who couldn't connect the dots when the story was told.

I feel she should have instead just looked at the picture for a while, turned to the ocean and just said 'grandma' instead of going 'Aaaah so she was my grandma' first.
Oct 14, 2015 8:23 PM

Mar 2010
wow . That was a great film :]
Oct 15, 2015 10:49 PM

Jan 2013
Syran said:
Just finished watching it, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. A nice Swansong for Ghibli.

The only thing that I can think of that I disliked was when her 'mother' gave her the picture and Anna said "so that's who it was". I felt it really painted Anna as a bit daft due to her not getting it when the Painterwoman told her the story, because it looked like she figured something out when she heard it.

The reason why it bothered me is that it seems like they mostly did it to really hammer the point home to those who couldn't connect the dots when the story was told.

I feel she should have instead just looked at the picture for a while, turned to the ocean and just said 'grandma' instead of going 'Aaaah so she was my grandma' first.

The thing that really got me is that the entire mystery seems to have relied on her simply not knowing her grandmother's name.
Oct 29, 2015 10:41 PM

Jan 2009
Wait. Did they ever really explain what actually happened to Marnie? They said several times that Anna's parents died, and with Hisako's story, found out Marnie looked after Anna for a little bit. Did she pass away quickly after receiving her, before Anna got to know her or even remember her name?

I assumed Anna's experiences with Marnie was mostly in Hisako's experiences, and Kazuhiro's during the silo scene.

I wish they did a better job explaining Toichi's past. We only know he's lived there for a long time and knew who Marnie was, but was told about any connections with the past, otherwise.
ZewerrDec 31, 2015 7:22 AM
Nov 1, 2015 9:45 PM

May 2013
Zewerr said:
Wait. Did they ever really explain what actually happened to Marnie? They said several times that Anna's parents died, and with Hisako's story, found out Marnie looked after Anna for a little bit. Did she pass away quickly after before Anna got to know her or even remember her name?

If I remember correctly from the book, Anna was really small when she got taken care of by Marnie so she didn't remember her name.

Zewerr said:

I wish they did a better job explaining Toichi's past. We only know he's lived there for a long time and knew who Marnie was, but was told about any connections with the past, otherwise.

That's how it was too in the book. He was just a kid who lived when Marnie was. He used to see her in the window just like Anna.
Nov 19, 2015 5:30 PM

Jan 2014
When first saw the poster, I kinda thought Anna was a boy. Then through the movie, I was thinking that it would have been much less weird if she actually was one, considering how they were casually hugging and saying how much they love each other and stuff...

Also, the atmosphere feels a bit creepy to me (maybe it's just me though...) seeing how Anna just conveniently ignored all the strange details regarding Marnie (for the sake of the mystery tag?). Guess she was desperate to finally have a friend.

Still, the arts were stunning even by Ghibli's standard. I'll give it a 8/10
Nov 30, 2015 10:11 PM

Feb 2015
pretty good, loved it!

i kinda guessed near the end that anna was the grandaughter, but it was still a good twist.

i would have given it a 10, and maybe this is just me, but i was getting some serious yuri vibes when anna just met marnie. since i was watching with my sibs (and they of course have no idea about yuri/yaoi) i was so nervous to see a yuri kiss with them (not that'd i'd want to see it alone anyway). i even searched up if there was romance between the two just to make sure. and when she was going to confess she was a foster kid and started her sentence with "I'm..." i actually half expected for her to say "gay." it was that strong for me. it was the dang blushing of anna all the time that did it for me i guess.

and i thought that anna was a boy in the promo pic (as well as my sibs!). so it took me a while to get it in my head (from the outfit, haircut etc). i even thought the girl with asthma was marnie lol.

and may i just say that anna and marnie are hands down one of the most beautiful female anime characters - no, characters - i have ever seen? i know that marnie was supposed to be flashy and strikingly beautiful but both of them are really beautiful (am i starting to sound like a pedo now ._.).

and although i pretty much get that marnie was a ghost, i don't get some things. like why would she suddenly leave at times? how was anna on the boat remembering what it was like living with relatives and managed to worry marnie? how did marnie know that she was going to "leave", as she said in anna's dream? i'll accept that marnie could go into dreams - hey, this is fantasy - but i just would like a confirmation. otherwise i'm lost.

the OST was great overall but that ED is goooorgeous....*0*

still, a 9/10.
TomDayNov 30, 2015 10:25 PM
Dec 11, 2015 12:07 PM

Jan 2014
It was great cuz it reminded me of mai luv and me <3
Dec 16, 2015 6:19 PM

Oct 2013
Maybe it's because I have ADD or whatever but I found the film just a biiiit too plodding at some points. Nonetheless, this had quite the emotional impact on me cuz I was tryin' DAMN hard to hold back my tears (and failed for that matter) in those last 15 minutes. Coulda gone without the movie directly telling you that Marnie was Anna's grandma because I figured that out on my own, but that is hardly enough to hurt the film at all, really. It's just beautiful and sentimental and sweet and possibly my favorite Ghibli now.

As a side note, I like how this film could be said to be one of Ghilbi's films most "grounded in reality" yet focuses near entirely around Anna's imagination. It makes for a very interesting contrast.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 26, 2015 6:26 AM

Dec 2008
I think I didn't understand Anna problems at all.

(I never saw someone eating half of fried egg at one :D.)
Dec 27, 2015 2:42 AM

May 2013
TomDay said:
pretty good, loved it!

i kinda guessed near the end that anna was the grandaughter, but it was still a good twist.

i would have given it a 10, and maybe this is just me, but i was getting some serious yuri vibes when anna just met marnie. since i was watching with my sibs (and they of course have no idea about yuri/yaoi) i was so nervous to see a yuri kiss with them (not that'd i'd want to see it alone anyway). i even searched up if there was romance between the two just to make sure. and when she was going to confess she was a foster kid and started her sentence with "I'm..." i actually half expected for her to say "gay." it was that strong for me. it was the dang blushing of anna all the time that did it for me i guess.

and i thought that anna was a boy in the promo pic (as well as my sibs!). so it took me a while to get it in my head (from the outfit, haircut etc). i even thought the girl with asthma was marnie lol.

and may i just say that anna and marnie are hands down one of the most beautiful female anime characters - no, characters - i have ever seen? i know that marnie was supposed to be flashy and strikingly beautiful but both of them are really beautiful (am i starting to sound like a pedo now ._.).

and although i pretty much get that marnie was a ghost, i don't get some things. like why would she suddenly leave at times? how was anna on the boat remembering what it was like living with relatives and managed to worry marnie? how did marnie know that she was going to "leave", as she said in anna's dream? i'll accept that marnie could go into dreams - hey, this is fantasy - but i just would like a confirmation. otherwise i'm lost.

the OST was great overall but that ED is goooorgeous....*0*

still, a 9/10.

It was never made clear whether Marnie was an actual ghost or just Anna being delusional, seeing how every single thing Marnie did came from Grandma!Marnie's stories that Anna remembered subconsciously. That was the reason why Marnie disappeared at times, when there's a disconnect between Anna's actions and Marnie's actual playmate, that is Marnie's future husband.
Jan 2, 2016 9:55 PM
Jun 2015
I really liked the movie.
But I still have a few questions: Was Marnie a ghost or was Anna just imagining her?Or was it time travel? How was it that Anna was the flower girl Marnie danced with when they read Marnie's diary, that happened years ago. Also all the other stuff Anna did with Marine was exactly what they read in her diary. Also why does she have a doll that just so happens to look like Marnie when Anna was little?
Jan 16, 2016 3:54 PM

Jun 2010
I really like the ambiguity of dream and reality and whether Anna was more or less talking to herself to work out her problems or if there was some strange connection with her grandmother's childhood. There doesn't need to be a concrete answer because it's a story.

The reveal that Marnie was Anna's grandmother seemed a little telegraphed, especially when Hisako told the story where she briefly cares for a granddaughter before dying. Also, it's too soon after Marnie describes how much she loves the marsh that she provides a darker perspective with the story of the maids bullying her. Since it's so soon I think it actually detracts from its power as a counter-point.

Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare them very closely, but I found this much more satisfying as a story of a young girl learning how to deal with life than Ghibli's own Spirited Away. The supposedly troubled kid in that is just grumpy and listless (Miyazaki showing what a geezer he was) whereas Anna really did have some serious internal problems.
Jan 24, 2016 11:33 AM

Dec 2010
Whoa. This was way, way, way, way, way, way different than what I expected. It was beautiful. It was sad. And in the same time something I can't find the rights word in.

I will just give score for now, 8/10. I want more movies like this one.
Jan 24, 2016 8:25 PM

Jul 2013
I for one, absolutely loved this. Anna's struggles and issues were truly relatable. The scenes with Marnie were very heartwarming. And when the punching came in, it came in hard. Its amazing how the emotion cna change so switfly and smoothly, from being torn by Marnie's story to happiness because Anna is free from her shell. Its a testament to how one genuinely bonds with the characters.

9/10
Feb 1, 2016 3:13 PM

Mar 2015
I have no words... fantastic, i loved it, it was sad, it was good, it was sad again...
Lovable movie.
9/10.
Feb 7, 2016 3:19 PM

Jan 2015
Boring as hell for over an hour and then it starts on the emotional manipulation to make you feel sad. I'm not sure if I should be annoyed, angry or touched after seeing this. The sobstory resonated with me alright, but it just can't erase the first 60-70% of the movie that are just plain uninteresting.
Feb 10, 2016 5:05 AM

May 2013
BVerfG said:
Boring as hell for over an hour and then it starts on the emotional manipulation to make you feel sad. I'm not sure if I should be annoyed, angry or touched after seeing this. The sobstory resonated with me alright, but it just can't erase the first 60-70% of the movie that are just plain uninteresting.

You just don't appreciate this kind of thing.
Feb 10, 2016 5:08 AM

Jan 2015
Ugoki said:
BVerfG said:

You just don't appreciate this kind of thing.

That would be the point of my post, yes.
Feb 21, 2016 3:12 PM

Jun 2010
the movie started well, but became boring somewhere in the middle.
I think the plot was way too predictable.
but the ending was saw because Marnie was so lonely.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 2016 10:08 AM

Dec 2008
This movie was perfect, I haven't cried like I did because of a story in a long while. The ending made me so emotional, and Marnie and Anna just entered my heart, I felt all of their joy and pain - it was a wonderful journey!
New favorite for sure, highly recommended for everyone :)
Zephyrmon_Feb 29, 2016 10:15 AM

Mar 1, 2016 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
Absolutely fantastic movie. Anna's troubles are very similar to Marnie's even if their household situations are different. Even her difficulty in making friends is pressed upon while meeting Marnie. As she gets to know her more and thus trusts her, she finds out how great friendship can be; Anna begins to look forward to their meetings more and more. After Anna (and us as the audience) learns Marnie's story, she is able to move on with her life with the same attitude that Marnie had - "always with a smile and looking forward". We see her emotions return and her mother notices this as well when she comes to pick her up.

The aunt and uncle Anna went to live with also deserve special mention. Even though Anna was doing some sketchy things (going out late at night, being found sleeping in the dirt, fights with other kids), they never outright reprimand her for it and give their advice in a jovial and non-condescending way. Which is really the only way to get through to young teens.

I usually don't like Ghibli movies but this stood out in a great way.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Mar 11, 2016 5:16 PM

May 2013
I'd never expect getting actually upset over a damn movie. It bothered me to no end how they prepared us to a one-sided romance (from Anna's behalf) just to later find out she's infatuated with her own damn grandmother who, to make it worse, just happened to betray Anna with her own damn grandfather.

It's almost irrational, but what bugged me the most was the fact that when Anna tried to protect Marnie in the silo, Marnie kept calling "Kazuhiko" as if Anna didn't mean shit (keep in mind that, at this point, I didn't know they were related). I guess the "passing out every time" thing got a bit old quickly as well. You don't yell "AISHITERU" to your "friends" like that. You don't yell "WATASHI NO DAISUKI NA ANNA" to a "friend", it's misleading and an easy yuri bait. You don't say "let's stay friends forever" as if you don't act like lovers already, for fuck's sake.
Mar 28, 2016 6:38 AM

May 2013
Mizusi said:
I'd never expect getting actually upset over a damn movie. It bothered me to no end how they prepared us to a one-sided romance (from Anna's behalf) just to later find out she's infatuated with her own damn grandmother who, to make it worse, just happened to betray Anna with her own damn grandfather.

It's almost irrational, but what bugged me the most was the fact that when Anna tried to protect Marnie in the silo, Marnie kept calling "Kazuhiko" as if Anna didn't mean shit (keep in mind that, at this point, I didn't know they were related). I guess the "passing out every time" thing got a bit old quickly as well. You don't yell "AISHITERU" to your "friends" like that. You don't yell "WATASHI NO DAISUKI NA ANNA" to a "friend", it's misleading and an easy yuri bait. You don't say "let's stay friends forever" as if you don't act like lovers already, for fuck's sake.

It's like that too in the book though.

It's like Anne and Diana from Anne of Green Gables or Esther and Ada from Bleak House.
Apr 23, 2016 12:12 PM

Feb 2014
Very nice, got teary eyes at some point while waching, I was not expecting to get emotional with this movie, 8/10.
Apr 27, 2016 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Very nive movie! 8/10 for the movie
May 6, 2016 4:15 PM
May 2013
Mizusi said:

uhm sorry but it was kinda obvious thats something isnt right in the happenings if you didnt get it then its basicly you fault.

for once in the beginning we saw anne looking in the house, a rather run down and empty house that latter is the live it in again out of the blue.

This sudden change leaves basicly two options. 1 Gohst, 2. Past/Present interwine.

the second possibility becomes more likely when we see the whole party scene.
From Prior scenes we knew that the world is on the same technolgie level as we are yet ALL inventory in the house that anna sees is rather old fashioned.

Also marnie never betrayed Anna with her granfather. This is not how it works.

Her brain and mind just injected her instead of her grandpa in the situation this works like a charm in the begining and when she know what actually happens. But it start to break appart as soon as she slowly realises that marnie isnt really there. She doesnt really wants to realize it yet and still holds the illusion up but the cracks are there, such as MArnie starting to use her Granddads name instead of Annas.
May 6, 2016 5:30 PM

May 2013
yuukiwr said:
uhm sorry but it was kinda obvious thats something isnt right in the happenings if you didnt get it then its basicly you fault.

for once in the beginning we saw anne looking in the house, a rather run down and empty house that latter is the live it in again out of the blue.

This sudden change leaves basicly two options. 1 Gohst, 2. Past/Present interwine.

From Prior scenes we knew that the world is on the same technolgie level as we are yet ALL inventory in the house that anna sees is rather old fashioned.

Her brain and mind just injected her instead of her grandpa in the situation this works like a charm in the begining and when she know what actually happens. But it start to break appart as soon as she slowly realises that marnie isnt really there. She doesnt really wants to realize it yet and still holds the illusion up but the cracks are there, such as MArnie starting to use her Granddads name instead of Annas.

what
now in english, please
May 7, 2016 2:54 AM
May 2013
Mizusi said:
yuukiwr said:

This sudden change leaves basicly two options. 1 Gohst, 2. Past/Present interwine..
But i guess if you even couldnt interpret | read the Former Text then it no wonder you dont even get the movie since you need everything spelled out for you.

what
now in english, please

First of in the start of the movie we see that the mansion is empty and currently without inhabitants.
But the suddenly there is marnie and her family. This sudden change only leaves to option. Either it are Ghosts or the present and present time interwine each other.

The second option gets more likely once you see the technological difference between anna world (the village) and the mansion that we see during party. There also Is the name of the movie. When Anne was here. This basically implies that she isnt there anymore.

Also marnie never betrayed her. Anna /her brain fabricated meeting her instead and replaced her hrandad with herself. This went good as long as she didnt question who marnie actually is. This can be seen through marnie calling her her granddads name instead of her own.

To sum it up it’s kinda you own fault for not seeing it.
yuukiwrMay 7, 2016 3:05 AM
Jun 12, 2016 6:13 AM

Feb 2016
Prior to watching this, I saw three Studio Ghibli films: Howl's Moving Castle, From Up on Poppy Hill and Whisper of the Heart. So of course, judging by the quality of these films, I had pretty high expectations for this film. Not only did it exceed my expectations, (as it did with other users on this thread) but it also surprised me with its emotional heft and thematic complexity and in turn set a very high bar which I believe will be difficult to match.

I felt really empathetic with the protagonist, Anna, and could relate well with the supporting characters in the film. The dialogue, visuals and plot was very well thought out and there was really nothing that I disliked or could fault in any way. Like all the other users who have seen this film, I found the twist at the end to be very satisfying as it not only resolved/clarified several questions which came up while watching the film, but also weaved the entire film together.

And of course, this film really got to me emotionally.
APickyCriticAug 2, 2016 10:43 PM
Jul 16, 2016 1:34 PM

Jun 2009
Hm, okay. 7/10 I guess. Kinda expected a more surprising twist or something. I dunno. Anna is clearly insane.
Oct 2, 2016 2:03 PM

Feb 2012
Tanuki in the Oiwa car!

My first thought when Nobuko (the girl Anna called a fat pig, no entry for her on MAL or ANN) noticed Anna's blue eyes and compared it to a foreigners' (cut short) was that Anna was Marnie but dyed her hair to appear Japanese. She felt like an outsider because she's a foreigner (probably Russian?) adopted by Japanese parents. Come to think of it, Marnie superficially looks like Tanya from Giovanni's island. I thought this was confirmed when the girl with the glasses asked Anna if she was Marnie.

Then when I noticed the blond hair doll, I thought Marnie was a popular fictional children's character (within the movie's context) the Anna used to read about aspired to become because Marnie had what appeared to be a great life with biological parents (of course Marnie's life was shown to be not so perfect).
Fortress_MaximusOct 2, 2016 2:14 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 21, 2016 7:34 PM

Sep 2016
I was lost as fuck in story till 1 and half hour -_- But Nice story twist.
Nov 22, 2016 2:16 PM

Sep 2016
I actually relate a lot to Anna.
Their friendship was really cute, halfway into the movie I figured out that Marnie was a ghost or something (I should have figured it out before because of the clothes, but whatever) but I wasn't expecting that.
Still... I need some time to process this. I'll rate it tomorrow.
Dec 24, 2016 11:12 PM

May 2009
This movie was quite touching. Anna was such a relatable character with her inner struggles, and it was quite interesting how she "made up " Marnie, when in actuality, Anna was just recreating her grandmother's memories( which she told Anna when she was little)and altered it by placing herself within the story. It's really fascinating on how the subconscious works.
Marnie's backstory was really sad and made me think how life is just full of sudden changes.
I'm glad that all this was able to help Anna overcome her problems and better understand herself, as well as Marnie.
Dec 30, 2016 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
I haven't read the novel so I don't know its foundation but it was a great movie. I kind of figured halfway through that she was related to Marnie in some way.

Am I an evil son of a bitch if I had strong yuri vibes from them in some scenes?
臭い-
Dec 31, 2016 1:35 PM

Dec 2013
Well, at times the movie was quite boring, but overall it was pretty good. I really didn't expect that Marnie would turned out to be Anna's relative. And it was so touching to see when Anna learnt about that :'|
May 17, 2017 4:05 AM

Aug 2008
So disappointed, I wanted Studio Ghibli lesbians. ;(

Still, it was a cute little film at least.
May 24, 2017 12:10 AM

May 2017
That was great, becoming one of my fav movie! Love it :)
Jun 12, 2017 1:01 PM

Nov 2016
Today this movie was broadcasted on TV and my mother told me about it, so I decided spontaneous to watch it together with her.

We both enjoyed it and my mom even teared up a little bit. The story was good and the art really gorgeous.

7/10.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 18, 2017 12:19 PM

Nov 2007
It was quite lovely even though i quite disliked Anna.....
and i thought for 3/4 of the movie how gay it is but then they are like, nope, it's the grandma. Not like i expected anything really gay from Ghibli though..........
Jun 24, 2017 2:54 PM

Mar 2013
Way better than what I expected. With all the every yuri undertones I didn't expect the reveal about their relationship.
Jun 30, 2017 12:39 AM

Oct 2015
That was a surprising twist in the end, turning out Marnie is her grandma. I guess she wanted Anna to be happy and make friends seeing how lonely she was and emotionless.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 4, 2017 2:43 PM

Apr 2017
Powerful film, got me emotional. Ghiblis best in recent years.

For those who are wondering about the yuri implications:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3398268/faq
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Question for people who already watched it (spoilers)

valyriansteel - Jul 24, 2014

23 by RobertBobert »»
Jun 20, 2023 11:46 AM

» Attack On Titan Satire

Readyarmydude90 - Mar 27, 2021

3 by ETHANethan »»
Mar 28, 2021 12:32 AM

Poll: » This could be Ghibli's last film

str_mln2 - Jul 20, 2014

10 by Yiuumii »»
Oct 23, 2020 3:36 PM

» Let's talk about the Ending

Shi-no-tenshi - May 31, 2020

4 by vRawabi_ »»
Aug 21, 2020 1:11 PM

» [spoilers] Everyone deceived Anna?

RyuMaster - Apr 11, 2015

5 by Rob7 »»
Apr 9, 2020 6:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.