Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 22, 2014 7:50 AM

Nov 2012
just watched
seems very rushed. i hope the actual anime series isnt rushed too.
i dont like the henshin

5/10 dont know why
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 22, 2014 8:36 AM

Jun 2013
Knowing that this is a 20 minute 2 episode prequel OVA, I'd say that was pretty good.

And why are MAL users generally so uninformed? We still have lots people not knowing that Aldnoah.Zero is split cour over in the AZ threads, and it seems only half the posters on this thread realize this is a quick OVA due to the bitching about pacing.

Just.. be more informed guys. That's all I can really think to say.
Aug 22, 2014 8:44 AM

Apr 2013
bastek66 said:
keragamming said:
Ok, I'll wait for the subs to be out before watching it. I read the first volume of this series and it's pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that the mangaka seems to hate the female characters. Sigh......

More like Johjes know that killing females prevent further breeding of enemy species.

this is going to make it hard to get attached to any female character since you just expect them to die

was decent. the explaining of the bug powers reminds alot of jojo explanations.

creepy sci fi horror atmosphere. other than that nothing too special but solid gonna watch the second ova and gonna give the series a try
Aug 22, 2014 8:45 AM

Feb 2013
ALL HAIL OUL LORD AND SAVIOURS JOHJ!!!!!!

Aug 22, 2014 8:56 AM

May 2009
It was simply recap of first full arc of manga. I wish it was oneshot adaptation.
Aug 22, 2014 11:50 AM

Oct 2012
Apparently, somebody created a video parody called "Shingeki no Cockroach".
Unfortunately, YouTube deleted it due to third-party notifications of copyright
infringement. Then they terminated the YouTube account. Sad, because I had
thought that parodies have some kind of protection in copyright laws. Anyway,
here is where it used to be posted:

www.topparodies.com/parody/shingeki-no-kyojin-parody-shingeki-no-cockroach/8008
Aug 22, 2014 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
7/10

I am not sure what is the plan - making OVA-1 - Bugs II, OVA-2 - Bugs I, and anime adaptation from Annex I, instead of following the the chronological order in the manga. Bugs II was a milestone for both story and character development, so bonus points for doing something different, and, probably, the right one (in case there is a bigger plan I haven't heard of yet).

As a watch was fine. The manga does have problems, though, mainly with everything weak, insignificant, and disposable is indeed females, and repeating insect bases more than two or three times, doesn't help the feeling one is reading Duel Masters but with bugs.

Anyway, kill them while you can :]

zellamiSep 3, 2014 2:04 PM
Aug 22, 2014 12:55 PM
Oct 2009
OneWhoReadsBooks said:
Well this was disappointing. Rushed as hell, like the characters had some characterization, and made them likable before they started to get killed off in the manga, but not here. And they skipped prologue chapter, wtf, that was important.

I've always imagine that the adaptation for the manga would be something like Jojo's anime. I was psyched when I found out they were adapting this into an anime, and all my hopes came crushing down when I found out it was going to be an OVA.

I really hate this type of anime adaptation. This is the type of anime that you know was only ever meant to be a commercial for the manga rather than trying to be an anime that can stand on it own.

It only an ova, it not out yet, for all we know when they decided to get it adapted it gonna be censored as hell.
Aug 22, 2014 1:04 PM

Jul 2013
zellami said:
7/10

I am not sure what is the plan - making OVA-1 - Bugs II, OVA-2 - Bugs I, and anime adaptation from Annex I, instead of following the the chronological order in the manga. Bugs II was a milestone for both story and character development, so bonus points for doing something different, and, probably, the right one (in case there is a bigger plan I haven't heard of yet).

As a watch was fine. The manga does have problems, though, mainly with everything weak, insignificant, and disposable is indeed females, and repeating insect bases more than two or three times, doesn't help the feeling one is reading Duel Masters but with bugs.

Anyway, kill them while you can :]

https://semperquondamnumquam.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun-01-02/nozaki-kun-ep01-hes-so-proud-of-it-too/#main

?? Oav 2 is Bug 2 too.
Aug 22, 2014 1:04 PM
Oct 2013
zellami said:
7/10

Actually, I'm more surprised that they made the 1st arc to an OVA instead of including it to the main series. For a manga reader's perspective, they have just skipped plenty amount of details. I bet they're going to start at Bugs 3.
Aug 22, 2014 2:37 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
That was pretty good for a prequel to the main plot. R.I.P to all the crews that died in the hands of the cockroachmen. Brutal deaths. >.<

That guy with the old cape in the beginning seemed so badass but he was taken out so early. Must've got owned pretty good.
Much respect for the captain for giving the rest of the crews a chance to retreat while he takes on the ugly creatures. He's the badass one!

Bug 1 unit got annihilated and rest of them meets another unfortunate fate as the cockroachmen ambushes them. Only 3 survives at the end.

Not bad. They should probably use other animal substances superior to the cockroach-kinds.

Aug 22, 2014 3:47 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, that was horrible but I couldn't stop watching.
Aug 22, 2014 4:01 PM

Dec 2012
mbdsquad said:
zellami said:
7/10

Actually, I'm more surprised that they made the 1st arc to an OVA instead of including it to the main series. For a manga reader's perspective, they have just skipped plenty amount of details. I bet they're going to start at Bugs 3.

Well, yeah. Technically, the Annex I takes 2/3 of the manga and is not even at midpoint, while Bugs I and II reflected the revelation and the consequences, which were figured out quick enough. The Annex begins with recruiting, operations, training, and some character background, which in the other two usually come along with the action on the spot.

The manga, albeit being in chronological order, could confuse as well - for example, I remember wondering when the current Davis has been conceived, given her father [...spoiler].

As brutal the manga is from the very beginning, seriously, the scene with the roaches under Bugs I station was a grim reminder how they adore to cuddle under a fridge. Speaking of unsophisticated enemies ... :D
zellamiAug 22, 2014 4:09 PM
Aug 22, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2013
very good this episode, I liked the soundtrack and of animation, censorship also not be a problem, just think it lacked explore further the relationship between Shoukichi and Nanao, and I was curious about the narration, was faithful to the manga, but it is difficult see narrations so in animes ..
Aug 22, 2014 4:08 PM

Dec 2012
Guilek said:
zellami said:
7/10

?? Oav 2 is Bug 2 too.

Oh, OK. I decided that if Bugs II got to the location of Bugs I, they will go with its story too. And there isn't a set number of the OVA episodes, so it was just an assumption right now.
Aug 22, 2014 5:05 PM
Nov 2010
keragamming said:
supervamp78 said:

Female character killed: Hates women

Male character killed: Normal

That's not the point I'm making. I'm just saying this from what I've seen from reading 1 to 2 volumes of this series. The female characters die like ants. Basically we shouldn't get attach to any of the female character since they will all die. Again this is my opinion from reading 1 to 2 volumes of this series.

The males have much more graphic deaths compared to the female characters so I'm still not seeing it.
Aug 22, 2014 6:11 PM

May 2008
Thank the anime gods for MAL forums. Took a peek at the comment section under this forum on Sankaku Complex. Half of them are calling it shit and the other half are likening the roaches to racial minorities ಠ_ಠ I'm really liking it so far and have no complaints.
Aug 22, 2014 7:23 PM

Jul 2012
Katagari said:
Ewww...
Was a little jittery while watching this one. Seeing insects in a different light now o.O

haha same here
Aug 22, 2014 9:08 PM

Sep 2011
Shit ova. They skip/blazing through so much, i didin't care for any of characters! There no build up in the anime when the two dude(komachi & thien) transform into the hornet & kamen rider(grasshopper) feels so much epic in the manga.
Aug 22, 2014 11:09 PM

May 2012
This OVA is way better than I expected. I can't wait for TV series. I hope it is uncensored
Aug 23, 2014 1:08 AM

Nov 2012
Dude. DUDE. I'm going to have nightmares for the rest of my life. But I can't help being interested in all this.
Aug 23, 2014 3:38 AM

Sep 2013
JOHJ ALL PRAISE JOHJ FOR NO CENSORSHIP
Aug 23, 2014 3:48 AM

Nov 2012
this is from studio that animating JoJo right?
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 23, 2014 4:00 AM

Apr 2009
ninjastarforcex said:
this is from studio that animating JoJo right?

No, check the info on MAL: Jojo is by David Production, this is by Lidenfilms. They both share a cooperation with warner, though.
Oh, and the Terra Formars manga commercials where done by the same studio that made the Jojo openings, but that is not that much of a link really.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 23, 2014 5:39 AM

Nov 2008
Fail. Where is action, characters introducing, drama? Just cockroaches killing useless peoples. Manga are way better. And what about Bugs 1?
Where were you, when everything was falling apart?
Aug 23, 2014 5:43 AM

Jan 2011
Great comedy guys, wait it's meant to be serious? I'm gonna laugh at anyone who defends this.
Aug 23, 2014 5:57 AM

Nov 2011
ReaperCreeper said:
Great comedy guys, wait it's meant to be serious? I'm gonna laugh at anyone who defends this.

It achieves its purpose, that of a pulp-fiction series, which in my opinion makes it a good series.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 23, 2014 7:56 AM

Apr 2009
rederoin said:
ReaperCreeper said:

It achieves its purpose, that of a pulp-fiction series, which in my opinion makes it a good series.

It takes itself more than seriously, but I agree that it is indeed a very successful (unintentional) pulp series.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 23, 2014 9:23 AM

May 2008
ReaperCreeper said:

WTF? Whoever said it was meant to be taken seriously? Whenever something is so over the top like this, it's usually not meant to be a 'serious' anime (whatever the hell that means). Ever read Dorohedoro? That's another example of a pulp series that's off the wall without being a straight comedy.
Aug 23, 2014 2:18 PM

Feb 2013
what's this about bugs 1.....did i miis something?,cuz i'm sure the manga started out with bugs 2 and went to annex 1
Aug 23, 2014 2:30 PM
Dec 2013
vongola-undecimo said:
ALL HAIL OUL LORD AND SAVIOURS JOHJ!!!!!!

YOU DAMN HEATHEN!!!!!.......One Does not simply post a picture of our great saviours
Aug 23, 2014 3:05 PM

Jun 2010
Well, heard great things from the manga of it and the ova didn't disappoint me. Pretty interesting. Will start reading the manga soon.
Aug 23, 2014 3:25 PM

May 2008
vongola-undecimo said:
what's this about bugs 1.....did i miis something?,cuz i'm sure the manga started out with bugs 2 and went to annex 1

I think it was that they sent bugs 1 up, but never heard from them again and years later decided to send another team up. It almost sounds like Event Horizon...
Aug 23, 2014 8:31 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
vongola-undecimo said:

Bugs 1 was chapter 0.
Aug 24, 2014 10:15 AM
Apr 2012
I liked it but felt rushed. The cockroaches don't look quite as creepy as in the manga but they still look good, their brutality as well oh damn. That neck snap, oof, that moment gets me everytime. The action was fantastic as expected, good transition to the screen. 8/10 episode to start one hell of a good series.
Aug 24, 2014 11:47 AM

Jun 2012
not gonna lie, that was kind of disgusting

too much blood + insects = why did I even tried it? thanks god I haven't eaten dinner yet... eww

- I only draw freestyle! -
Aug 24, 2014 8:55 PM

Jul 2013
I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself but laugh at all the deaths, especially at the girl that got sliced when she tried to transform, or the guy that got shot up. And those cockroaches, just wow, those long, dark, expressionless faces were just creepy. This episode also raised a lot of questions, I wonder if they'll be answered in the TV series. Either way this was entertaining, although I'm not sure if I'm suppose to take this seriously or not.
Aug 26, 2014 12:36 AM

Apr 2014
LMFAO at those negros that look like cockroches

This is so retarded and stupid but i'll still watch it
Aug 26, 2014 10:14 AM

Jan 2011
finally get to see this animated, feels like the manga with black and white is more terrifying, the animations are not enough (hope it gets better)

the way of that narrator speaks make it not so serious, also not sure why they want to show at the start about who will survive this mission...
Aug 26, 2014 1:48 PM

Oct 2013
OMG wtf was that ? This ova is just a trauma for life and lets not forget the faces of the cockroaches good lord they are creepy as hell,but I can't wait for the 2nd ova and the anime series wow this is going to be like AoT.
Aug 27, 2014 12:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Been reading the manga (which isn't very good I must admit) and wanted to check out how this got animated. Not very impressed to be honest.

I'll check out the tv series when it comes out to see if there's better quality there.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 28, 2014 6:25 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Not saying it doesn't get racist later on in the series, because I haven't read it, but there was nothing racist about this OVA. If you are pairing cockroach with the color black and then linking that to the african american race, doesn't that make YOU racist for even making the absurd connection?

Anyway, this was pretty over-the-top ridiculous, but I enjoyed it and it got me excited for the series.
Aug 29, 2014 2:21 PM

Nov 2012
JOHJ JO! Yeep, have been waiting for this. Feels a bit like shingeki no kyojin with all the still-images. Like the washed-down tones, hope they keep it for the actual anime.
Also great they keeped the biology lesson parts - I really enjoy them in the manga.

And no gore censor (since an OVA) - yay! Hope they don't buther it in the TV version. We had Gantz foing without censorshi(2nd season at least), but all the recent shows suffer a lot(especially Tokyo Ghoul).
Not that I like gore that much :) I don't like half the screen going black or showing an odd angle.
Sep 2, 2014 1:34 PM

Mar 2014
This shit was so bad. It was so cheesy and cringe worthy. I didn't expect it to be this bad, I'm greatly disappointed.
Sep 2, 2014 8:49 PM

Sep 2011
I've read the first 50 chapters or so of the manga, it was hilariously bad. The manga reads like some kind of nationalistic propaganda. The cockroaches or as they lovingly call them:"black shit-stains" are dull and unimaginative.

Prepare for an anime that throws a shit load of characters your way, builds them up only to brutally kill them in the next panel. Especially the Chinese characters, the author really...really doesn't like the Chinese it seems. I'll probably watch this for the lols, since I laughed my ass off while reading this crap.

For all those that are expecting Gantz, it's not.
Sep 3, 2014 6:45 PM

Oct 2012
This was just so stupid
Sep 6, 2014 7:16 PM

Jul 2011
Pretty psyched for the fall series! The concept of the people partially turning into insects really reminds me of the manga, Arachnid. How each person contains a different insect trait when they fight.
Sep 11, 2014 11:24 PM

May 2009
feels like mars of destruction again
but more consistent on guro
why the fk is the female casts so weak though i mean at least stay on the screen for over 20 second
nvr read the manga but anime seems great so far
Sep 14, 2014 1:26 AM

Sep 2013
KingYoshi said:
Not saying it doesn't get racist later on in the series, because I haven't read it, but there was nothing racist about this OVA. If you are pairing cockroach with the color black and then linking that to the african american race, doesn't that make YOU racist for even making the absurd connection?

I'm guessing that the color isn't the only connection people are drawing, but also the fact that the roaches have a big resemblance to Homo Erectus.

However, I see nothing racist about this. You really have to pay small attention to the action and the hilarious shenanigans to get offended by something so vague.
Sep 15, 2014 5:45 AM

Aug 2009
Stupid director, couldn't they just make the scenes exactly as the manga did? Skipping the character developments and explanations so they could proceed with the action was the worst mistake they made. Anyway, they messed this up pretty badly.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Terra Formars OVA Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2014

55 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 30, 12:58 AM

» What was the reason behind a certain someone shooting someone in the head

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Jun 9, 2016

2 by kUshPandA_ENJOi »»
Jul 1, 2016 4:49 PM

» Preview

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

1 by Stark700 »»
Oct 31, 2014 8:03 AM

» Character Designs

Stark700 - May 19, 2014

1 by King_of_Heretics »»
May 30, 2014 3:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.