Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 29, 2009 10:55 PM

May 2008
sakR9 said:
the nudity ruined it for me

What are you, 6?

I don't see how a couple minutes of nudity ruined such a great movie for you otherwise.
Jun 20, 2009 11:41 PM

Dec 2008
awesome i love parades, specially this one since it is very weird. much like most of my dreams.

really enjoyed the ost.

10/10
Jun 27, 2009 2:39 PM

Jun 2009
Very well executed. The plot, the characters, the animation and the soundtrack, a complete movie in its true sense.

Mind I had I watched it while I was high on weed what an amazing experience it was :P Was NOT expecting it at all eheh
Jul 2, 2009 10:48 AM

Mar 2009
10/10 Absolutely loved it. The story definitely made you think a little and the music was awesome.
^.^
Jul 12, 2009 4:18 PM

May 2009
really loved the movie 10/10
Jul 17, 2009 5:47 AM

Jan 2008
Crazy but fantastic movie. Though might need a rewatch to fully understand what went on.
Jul 26, 2009 12:20 AM

May 2008
Executer said:
sakR9 said:

What are you, 6?

I don't see how a couple minutes of nudity ruined such a great movie for you otherwise.

paprika is plain sexy :3
the nudity was the best part! xD
Aug 6, 2009 8:36 PM

Oct 2008
tvlookplay said:
Executer said:
sakR9 said:

What are you, 6?

paprika is plain sexy :3
the nudity was the best part! xD
It was indeed a contributing factor to the film's quality.
Sep 4, 2009 7:29 PM

Jun 2009
9/10, easily the best anime movie i've seen since End of Evangelion(which was only a week ago). I may give it a 10 if I like it as much the 2nd time. I enjoyed Paprika to much to even TRY to find faults.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 11, 2009 4:45 PM

Aug 2009
I give this movie a 8/10. I feel that the plot failed a bit at the end with the whole "eating the dream" thing and the naked loli....although I'm glad the detective got over his issues. At least his conflict ended.

But most of the time, it had me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. I was literally screaming when Dr. Osanai was putting his hands through Paprika. I think any girl would feel the same :P

However, I think that when we discovered who stole the DC Mini, it was a little anti-climactic. I felt that since it was during a dream, it actually was a dream...

Also, I think that the little romance it had was very unnecessary. The movie could progress and end without it (and I sure as hell did not expect it. Its not like there was any build up or anything)

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Sep 21, 2009 1:28 PM

Jul 2008
Satoshi Kon you are awesome. He blurs fantasy and reality so well, I love his style. The soundtrack was a masterpiece, although all of Kon's movie soundtracks are. The animation was great, I especially loved the credits sequence at the beginning around six minutes in. Brilliant movie, couldn't have asked for anything better.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 11, 2009 6:58 AM

Jun 2009
The plot is great, just what I like. Graphics too. Even final is good. But people are somelike lifeless and there's a feeling all is going too fast, that authors wanted to squeeze the movie someway. It's all about the plot and almost nothing about characters. There must be not just few moments to show something and go ahead, but to make these moments lifelike and reveal characters (but voice actors' work is good). Here is the biggest Paprika's problem, it looks too abstract and hollow. 7/10, overrated.
Dec 3, 2009 10:33 AM

Sep 2007
This movie was incomprehensible as fuck to me the first time watching it which is why I feel like attempting to explain it right now...:

So this was a movie about a lunatic trying to take over the dream world in order to prevent future threats to dream worlds; threats that might impose the borders of reality on dreams which do not have borders. This is a violation of the sanctity of dreams in the chairman's mind, so he decides to swallow the consciousness and dreams of all the scientists who use the dream watching/entering device. (He can do this because he has his own device, which allows him to invade any psychotherapy machine and eat up every dream that it analyses.)

The other scientists just wanted to use the device to understand psychology. They are trying to stop the chairman because it is their responsibility to let the device be misused, and also because they are threatened.

The detective didn't have the courage to follow his dreams to go to film school with his friend. He felt like he betrayed his friend and himself for not living up to his dreams. In the end he forgave himself for this. His reality was not too far off from his dream after all. He was a cop in reality, instead of in films. He stopped avoiding dreams after that, which gave him some power in the dream world, to realize his own dreams and not succumb to the chairman's. So the moral is... I don't know. Something stupid.

I still don't get why in the end the dream world merged with reality, nor why Chiba was able to eat the dream world. It seemed completely random. Am I supposed to invent some bullshit explanation so that the ending makes sense? What was it symbolizing anyways? Chiba merges with her dream self and she becomes a reflection of reality who is able to impose herself on the dream. So there; that's the bullshit explanation I can come up with. (I got nothing for why the worlds merged.)

Lastly Chiba's romance. Chiba was not true to her feelings. Paprika was the part of her self that she was denying, and who she is in the dream world (in her dreams?). In the end, she merged with Paprika and became "real", I guess. It would have been more fun if she had split personality disorder.

I'd say this movie is mediocre because of how difficult it is to understand, especially the ending, and in the end the story and themes are not really coherent or very interesting. It's too random and has a stupid ass ending, but it's still somehow entertaining, just because as a whole the story is a bit more interesting than a lot of shit, I guess.
blockheadDec 3, 2009 11:04 AM
Jan 6, 2010 2:20 PM

Apr 2009
awesome !!!!!1111111111111
soundtrack awesome also..
and the characters...
perfect)
Jan 16, 2010 8:17 PM

Oct 2009
Very strange, but definitely fun to watch. I agree that they got the dream logic down in a lot of places. My only complaint is that the hot chick got together with the morbidly obese guy in the end. Gross.

? / 10
Jan 16, 2010 8:19 PM

Oct 2009
blockhead said:
This movie was incomprehensible as fuck to me the first time watching it which is why I feel like attempting to explain it right now...:

So this was a movie about a lunatic trying to take over the dream world in order to prevent future threats to dream worlds; threats that might impose the borders of reality on dreams which do not have borders. This is a violation of the sanctity of dreams in the chairman's mind, so he decides to swallow the consciousness and dreams of all the scientists who use the dream watching/entering device. (He can do this because he has his own device, which allows him to invade any psychotherapy machine and eat up every dream that it analyses.)

The other scientists just wanted to use the device to understand psychology. They are trying to stop the chairman because it is their responsibility to let the device be misused, and also because they are threatened.

The detective didn't have the courage to follow his dreams to go to film school with his friend. He felt like he betrayed his friend and himself for not living up to his dreams. In the end he forgave himself for this. His reality was not too far off from his dream after all. He was a cop in reality, instead of in films. He stopped avoiding dreams after that, which gave him some power in the dream world, to realize his own dreams and not succumb to the chairman's. So the moral is... I don't know. Something stupid.

I still don't get why in the end the dream world merged with reality, nor why Chiba was able to eat the dream world. It seemed completely random. Am I supposed to invent some bullshit explanation so that the ending makes sense? What was it symbolizing anyways? Chiba merges with her dream self and she becomes a reflection of reality who is able to impose herself on the dream. So there; that's the bullshit explanation I can come up with. (I got nothing for why the worlds merged.)

Lastly Chiba's romance. Chiba was not true to her feelings. Paprika was the part of her self that she was denying, and who she is in the dream world (in her dreams?). In the end, she merged with Paprika and became "real", I guess. It would have been more fun if she had split personality disorder.

I'd say this movie is mediocre because of how difficult it is to understand, especially the ending, and in the end the story and themes are not really coherent or very interesting. It's too random and has a stupid ass ending, but it's still somehow entertaining, just because as a whole the story is a bit more interesting than a lot of shit, I guess.

You're reading way too much into this. I don't think it has any kind of moral or "lesson." It's a sequence of strange and interesting happenings that don't necessarily have a logical connection, much like a real dream.
Jan 24, 2010 10:06 PM

Oct 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
Very strange, but definitely fun to watch. I agree that they got the dream logic down in a lot of places. My only complaint is that the hot chick got together with the morbidly obese guy in the end. Gross.

? / 10

so you judge people by there cover & not there heart?

I thought it was quite sweet actully it would of been boring & typical if the guy was slim & good looking have a heart you bastard!
Mar 1, 2010 3:46 AM

Sep 2008
This is the 2nd greatest movie I have ever seen. No seriously. The whole time I was sitting there thinking "I can't believe such an awesome movie exists."
Mar 11, 2010 11:53 PM

Jul 2008
I can't be the only one that watched the French dub of this, right?

Anyway, I loved this movie. It's just so engaging and unique. It ways exactly the kind of animation I appreciate. The actual plot was sort of background for me. I was enjoying watching it too much.

BEGINNER
Apr 25, 2010 3:39 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
That movie was really weird, but it was great.

Apr 25, 2010 9:21 PM

Oct 2008
I didn't like the ending at all. I guess it's because I don't like Tokita at all, and he stole my favorite character, Atsuko. I just can't understand her love for him.
And it didn't help that the movie sets it up as if Konakawa and Atsuko/Paprika are going to get together. That made the Tokita thing even weirder!
D:
May 7, 2010 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
what a nice movie its an enjoyable sci-fi psychological story

P.S. atsuko is hot
May 12, 2010 7:34 AM

Nov 2008
The plot was rather simple, and the mystery was solved quite quickly.
But this movie was more an exercizing of style, and I totally the epic mindrape.

8/10 wants moar movie like this.
Jul 1, 2010 8:03 AM

Aug 2009
someone noticed doctor charles from x-men xDDD
i lol'd so hard
Jul 23, 2010 9:02 AM

Dec 2008
To my surprise, this was really a great movie. The soundtrack was amazing and I got to see what an acid trip feels like without actually having to drop any!!!
Jul 26, 2010 11:58 AM

Aug 2008
Been meaning to watch this film for a while now. Wow. Just wow. Satoshi has done it again. Fantastic film. Art work was amazing.

Love love loooveed the Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers posters at the cinema.
Aug 14, 2010 7:12 PM

Jan 2010
Touka said:
Satoshi The soundtrack was a masterpiece, although all of Kon's movie soundtracks are. The animation was great, I especially loved the credits sequence at the beginning around six minutes in. Brilliant movie, couldn't have asked for anything better.

ios said:

P.S. atsuko is hot
QTF, the credits at the beginning were simply amazing.

This movie was not what I expected, but that does not mean it wasn't truly great, just different from what I assumed it would be.
Aug 25, 2010 8:35 AM

Aug 2009
Great movie.
Amazing art and animation. Overall voice acting was superb and the actual story was original and entertaining.
The plot execution, however, wasn't that good. It was sometimes hard to follow, which made it hard to enjoy the movie at some points.
7/10
Sep 4, 2010 11:45 PM

Aug 2008
What a fun, inventive movie. I really liked the cops backstory, too. *thumbs up*
Sep 9, 2010 5:39 PM

Jul 2009
Amazing movie.
Sep 26, 2010 7:29 PM
Mar 2009
First half hour or so was pretty meh, and then it got pretty good towards the end.

The part where Konakawa finally finishes the film in the dream world was funny as hell. Oh, and I'll never look at those porcelain dolls the same way again.
Sep 26, 2010 7:30 PM

Apr 2010
If I remember correctly I believe I was utterly confused.

Sep 27, 2010 4:31 PM

Jul 2008
Touka said:
Satoshi Kon you are awesome. He blurs fantasy and reality so well, I love his style. The soundtrack was a masterpiece, although all of Kon's movie soundtracks are. The animation was great, I especially loved the credits sequence at the beginning around six minutes in. Brilliant movie, couldn't have asked for anything better.

Just watched it a second time and couldn't help but come back and mention the very last sequence.

"One adult, please."

Satoshi Kon sure knew how to end a movie perfectly. I love how the screen went black and the credits started rolling (along with the fantastic 'The Girl in Byakkoya' song in the background) as soon as the character had finished talking. Fantastic editing, fantastic film.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 3, 2010 10:55 PM

Jan 2009
SoulFlyy said:
JuicyBuddha said:

? / 10

so you judge people by there cover & not there heart?

I thought it was quite sweet actully it would of been boring & typical if the guy was slim & good looking have a heart you bastard!

OR, it could have done well on its own without the whole romantic side bit, which I disliked as well.
Nov 13, 2010 12:04 AM

May 2009
Tits man, tits.
Nov 13, 2010 7:51 AM

Aug 2010
I like it enough to relate it to inception, the concept is pretty similar if you think about it, and inception is the later :O nah not gonna take anything away from it both are great
Jan 3, 2011 1:56 PM

Nov 2010
I absolutely love the music!
I loved the animation and style of the movie

However I have to say I found it a bit confusing and am still a bit confused lol.
erm probably a 7/10 from me. I think I will watch it again and hopefully I will understand it a bit better the next time I watch this.

Very strange movie though lol

Thought it was a bit strange she fell in love with Takita, not that I have anything against fat ppl lol
Jan 30, 2011 6:47 AM

Oct 2009
Finally watched it!
Glorious animation and art, music, characters and execution! Satoshi Kon never disappoints!
Oh and of course! Tits. (Joke XD)
Great story and very disturbing at that and i love mind games :)))) Inception got nothing on this :P

Still when Atsuko said she liked Tokita i was " O_O...*facepalm*", unfortunately reality is not like that ;_;

Well had a lot of fun and laughed through out the end of the movie, LoL...

Thank You, Satoshi Kon for bringing such masterpiece's to us! May you rest in peace!

- One Adult Please
Feb 8, 2011 2:35 PM

Aug 2009

Anyone knows where i would find beter quality picture of that? I would realy like it on my desktop
Feb 15, 2011 9:37 AM
Nov 2010
6/10

man that was boring ZZZzzzzzzzzzz
Feb 26, 2011 8:55 PM

Jul 2009
Great movie, spectacular animation and soundtrack! Though I didn't care enough for most of the characters besides Paprika and Konakawa to get fully pulled in by the story. Also did I miss something? What was The Chairman/Mastermind's motive for what he did?
MezziazFeb 26, 2011 8:58 PM
Mar 25, 2011 12:27 PM

Feb 2009
What a journey! This movie started pretty WTF for me, but after a while I got into the mood of the film and it was one hell of a trip to the land of dreams! Believe it or not I can identify a lot with this.

In some scenes I had this feeling of Deja-vu due to my previous watching of Inception... I guess Nolan took some ideas from this film.
Apr 7, 2011 5:42 PM

Jan 2010
two words : fucking perfect!

also i really wished for paprika to end up with konokawa...but either way, its perfect
Apr 9, 2011 3:37 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, was pretty good. The movie was kinda abstract, some bits reminded me of Inception as well. o_o
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 16, 2011 12:43 PM
Jan 2010
Outstanding. I originally picked this up because of the soundtrack. Good to see that the movie is just as good.
May 25, 2011 10:19 PM
Apr 2009
This movie is unbelievable. Satoshi Kon was amazing.
Jun 3, 2011 5:24 AM

Aug 2010
First Satoshi movie to see.

I ended up liking this movie due to the confusion it gave me through out the whole view.
Jun 20, 2011 7:58 PM

Jun 2011
Like many of the people here, I thought that this movie was really great! The fantasy worlds created with in this film were so cool!! I was blown away by the animation and applaud everyone involved with this film. *sigh* if only my dreams were that unbelievable. I wish a device siuch as the on in this movie actually exsisted. It'd be sweeeet.
Jun 20, 2011 11:44 PM

Jan 2011
can't say I liked the movie a lot but it was good nether the less
Susumu Hirasawa always puts up good music and Madhouse animation was pretty nice to look at
overall 8/10
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Jul 24, 2011 5:42 AM

Aug 2009
Wow. This movie amazes me. I'm glad that my big brother buys me one. xD
The art is simply amazing~ with good characters. Not to mention the soundtrack - I LOVE IT.

And yeah, some of the dreams freaked me out. >.<
chiquit0621Jul 24, 2011 5:45 AM

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it."

chiquit

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» So, who killed the victim in that homicide case?

Samu-tan - Aug 27, 2010

9 by Beatnik »»
Jan 1, 9:00 AM

» For what reasons do you like this movie?

Unknow0059 - Apr 16, 2017

10 by nekogaro7 »»
Oct 17, 2023 7:29 AM

» What's the movie Konakawa watch at the end of the movie ?

Tsunamii_ - Jul 13, 2022

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:14 AM

» questions about paprika [spoilers]

darrenkbenn - Sep 14, 2021

3 by JeremiahOrange »»
Sep 14, 2021 11:19 PM

» What the hell did I just watch?

RandomPerson4 - Dec 30, 2012

25 by tabernac »»
Feb 28, 2021 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.