Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 9, 2014 10:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I actually think Takao is pretty cool despite his sarcastic attitude.

Drama escalated this episode but I'm glad Naru was able to diverge the mood a bit with her paper airplanes. I find that scene like a piece of art.
Aug 9, 2014 12:27 PM
May 2010
Another super awesome episode.
Filthy Monster Ball!
And that friends meeting: "My friend foreveer!", was laughing hard :DD
All those epic phrases by Handa for magazines, and really great moment with paper airplanes made by Naru, Handa gonna find his own style there, at that island, with all those people around.
And another fujoshi moment at the end.
I'm soooo in love with this anime, can't wait for BD release to rewatch it already.
SuMmAug 9, 2014 12:38 PM
Aug 9, 2014 12:38 PM

Jun 2013
Handa getting embarrassed by those words he said in that magazine was really funny, he made a good choice to stay at that island and boost his calligraphy.
Aug 9, 2014 12:40 PM

Mar 2012
So it turns out that Tama does speak the local dialect... but only when she's extra excited.
Aug 9, 2014 12:43 PM

Jul 2009
LOL that ending. wth

man this show has been great so far. it really highlights what one can learn when they slow their city life down by heading to the country side to meet good people, good scenary, good food.
Aug 9, 2014 12:47 PM

Aug 2010
One of the best eps so far :3

The part before the OP was hilarious XD Naru's reaction to the tattoo's was so lol and cute :3 How she went inside and drew one herself was funny ^^

Lol'd at Kousuke saying he likes children "For publicity's sake" XD

And Kawafuji saying "In another 10 years I'd like her" was hilarious XD...that's not kids that's already a woman XD

Naru's negotiation skills are hilarious and BA! But she got ripped off with that card XD She's got quite the future ahead of her :P Shady business dealer Naru

The "My friend for ever" scene had me on the floor XD "False friend" was hilarious too XD

This ep had awesome development for Handa with how he didn't mind Kousuke at first and how he wanted to change himself :D

Naru was awesome with the paper planes. That scene was beautiful >.<! And how she distributed the magazines about him to everyone in the village was hilarious XDXD

Tama's reaction to 4 guys at the end with all the blood was priceless ROFL
Aug 9, 2014 12:52 PM

Oct 2012
Great episode, best of the series so far :)
My friend forever and the "humiliation" scene were really funny lol.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Aug 9, 2014 12:52 PM

May 2013
That beginning scene was funny. That moment with the paper planes was really nice.
Aug 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
My friend forever! That was such a beautiful moment. Too bad drunk Kawafuji totally ruined it by getting mad at Handa.
Kousuke admires Handa a little too much. Nice to see that Handa is maturing as a calligrapher. His kick was awesome.
Aug 9, 2014 1:00 PM

Jan 2013
Friends forever, oh god x)
And that filthy monster ball. Literaly Pocket Monsters.
And another moral scene.
That after crédits with Tama.
Aug 9, 2014 1:02 PM
Jan 2014
The best episode so far imo. Had a really nice balance between comedy and character developement.

Just as Naru was having a shell stall, she met up with Kawafuji and Kousuke.
Kousuke got irritated pretty early, though Kawafuji had a bargain with Naru.
Naru's a big fan of cards, who knows what kind of value a deck of trading cards would hold up to her.

Just as Miwa's father showed up, Kawafuji immediately got taken in to the village meeting for kidnapping, lol. He does look a bit suspicious with that tattoo of his.At least Kousuke made it to Handa's house without any major effort.

Kawafuji was pretty beat up or drunk, I should say, when he arrived at Handa's house, late at night.

Giving Kousuke that big pokeball with shield bugs was a great idea, if Handa didn't know his identity already. Loved Miwa and Hiroshi's reaction though.

Kousuke was more obsessed with Handa, than I thought. He had quite the collection of paperwork than Handa's been involved in. Too bad his efforts were made into paper airplanes.

Poor Handa, he never gets properly credited for his work. He either gets heavily criticized when his work is not good enough, or he doesn't feel any esteem when he wins a prize. I hope he realizes that only his close friends and his fans are the people whwo support him.

To cheer up the mood, we get a great epilogue which showcases the inner fujoshi of Tamako even further, lol.

Brilliant episode.
Aug 9, 2014 1:06 PM

Jun 2012
I love that fujoshi girl.
Aug 9, 2014 1:31 PM

Apr 2014
Funny episode , i really enjoyed it !! xDD
SAO : A World With You :)
Aug 9, 2014 1:32 PM
Jun 2012
As great as always. I loved how Naru collected tons of bugs all in one toy Pokeball.
Aug 9, 2014 1:36 PM

Dec 2011
Tama's delusions are funny. Nice episode. Handa's words in the magazines were pretty embarrassing.
Aug 9, 2014 1:41 PM

May 2010
hahaha after the ending :D
Aug 9, 2014 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
miwa and hiroshi trying to protect sensei was hilarious. also, i was on the floor during the opening scene. overall it was a great episode. the balance between character development and the comedy was done really well.

tama is the greatest fushoji 5ever
Aug 9, 2014 1:44 PM
Mar 2013
xD freaking love this show! When sensei heard those embarrassing lines hahaha.
Aug 9, 2014 1:45 PM

Dec 2011
LOL, they're having difficulties finding Handa-sensei's house, now that's pretty funny.

Naru has what it takes to become a great businesswoman XD.

Kawafuji go caught by the villagers since he's suspicious with all dem tattoos.

LOOOOL, "My friend Handa!" - "My friend Kawafuji!" - "My friend forever!" EPIC!

Oh, so that's the young guy that won the competition... he seems really annoying and actually is.

So Sensei actually knew who Kanzaki was and didn't commit seppuku... ah, Kawafuji had informed him.

Ah, Naru to Handa-sensei's rescue once again T.T

LOL, he just KO-ed Kanzaki XD.

Poor Tama thinks the BL army is growing XD.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Aug 9, 2014 1:48 PM

Feb 2014
Loved the episode! Really liked the interaction between sensei and the guy the won the competition. The lines that sensei said were awesome.
Aug 9, 2014 1:57 PM

Apr 2013
Naru selling shells was pretty hilarious and kinda cute too, the moment with the paper planes was nice also, good episode.
Aug 9, 2014 2:00 PM

Jul 2013
That "forever friend" Engrish was hilarious. Another nice funny episode. It got pretty intense at the end there about Handa returning to Tokyo, but I'm glad things got resolved nicely.

All those corny lines from the magazine... even I started cringing from some of them lol.
Aug 9, 2014 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
Kawafuji and Kousuke first time meeting Naru was pretty nice.

Lol at the end when people knew about the magazines of Handa.
Aug 9, 2014 2:33 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Okay, so...I'm beginning to suspect that Naru is not human. The timing of the paper airplanes couldn't have been coincidence.
Aug 9, 2014 2:39 PM

Sep 2013
Does this show ever disappoint... Such a great and funny episode, like all the other ones pretty much.

I was really anticipating Kawafuji and the lad's arrival. I knew he was the one who won the contest, I knew iiiitttt and I thought Sensei would feel super depressed about this, but I'm glad he was okay and that Kawafuji only took him here to get them into some sort of rivality. And now it's only going to get funnier with the two on the island. I'm kind of scared there'll be a serious episode where Kawafuji tells Seishuu to come back to Tokyo and Seishuu disapproves, probably near the end.

I'm glad we got Hiroshi through the whole episode also, but was kind of weird not to see Tama with Miwa. Though, I noticed Tama at the door during the monster ball moment and I wondered if she was going to make some kind of epic entrance.

The paper planes moment was beautiful, Naru sure is an hyper kid but she lights up the mood so easily, I'm glad she's there.

And THAT FUJOSHI MOMENT. Also, I liked seeing Seishuu in suit and as a student, I think they should put some flashback of their middle school days.

vonPeterhof said:
So it turns out that Tama does speak the local dialect... but only when she's extra excited.

I think I've already read about it, but why doesn't she usually speak it?
Aug 9, 2014 2:41 PM

Apr 2014
Another epic episode.
Aug 9, 2014 2:44 PM

Nov 2007
Tamaaa,i understand your feelings ;A;

beautiful episode
Aug 9, 2014 2:53 PM

Apr 2013
aaaaaaand another fantastic episode

that opening scene with naru, the serious moments in this episode, the after credits scene just perfect
Aug 9, 2014 2:55 PM

Nov 2007
The girl meeting the two, and she didn't know his name. They got taken to drink. So KajiKaji's character a fan of the main guy to the extend that he has his interviews and books! 18 years old award winning calligrapher. His boss is also his friend since school life.

Wow, stinky bugs...

He wants him to be back to Tokyo. His calligraphy is worse by his own style?? Nice phrase!

lol~ the magazines has been spread and they know. lol @ Fujoshi girl.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 9, 2014 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
Hilarious episode was laughing from start to finish.
Naru's reaction to seeing the tattoo, was not expecting that!
Too bad Tama wasn't there for the "Forever Friend/False Friend" scene haha.
Also loved the airplane moment, just what Handa needed.
Aug 9, 2014 3:12 PM

Apr 2012
Kerozinn said:
hahaha after the ending :D

if you notice during the monster ball scene, tama was there openning the door looking stunned. Which makes the after ending a perfect scene to follow that up xD

screenshot software
gioevanAug 9, 2014 3:27 PM

Aug 9, 2014 3:32 PM
May 2014
Was I the only one who noticed that the barrier Handa put up when Kawafuji was describing his middle school life was an AT Field?
Aug 9, 2014 3:50 PM

Oct 2013
that monster ball xD
another epic episode
omg when she ate that snail haha this show is amazing now i have to wait another week
that ending XD
[/quote]
Aug 9, 2014 4:09 PM

Apr 2014
It seems like this episode went by so quickly! Watching Barakamon has become one of the highlights of my week, lame as it sounds; I really enjoy it.

Is the concept of Handa having friends that foreign to the townspeople? Aren't they counted to be his friends as well? Or maybe it's the idea that he has friends outside of the town, because of his rather standoffish attitude; alternatively, it could be that they more look up to Handa than consider him a friend. But I think Handa will value their friendship, because it appears as though Kawafuji is not only considering him a friend, but also using him. The way Kawafuji described Handa made him sound like...hm, like growing fruit, I guess, as strange as that analogy sounds. I don't know if you can consider it true friendship. It's undeniable that Kawafuji is a friend to Handa, but is it really friendship or is it more like commensalism?

I think I have a natural dislike of Kanzaki just because he's Handa's rival, but the thing is, through the episode, I realize that Kanzaki is just like how Handa was when he first came to the island. A total outsider, wary of the ways of the townsfolk. I also found it interesting that Handa didn't seem to be as affected by Kanzaki's presence as I expected him to be. It seems as though living on the island hasn't dampened his pride; it's simply made him more at ease with the world and more willing to let things go, including the "Second-Place Calligraphy Incident". Many of the things that Kanzaki said were true, especially that phrase about how Handa is trying to add individuality to his style, but that doesn't work.

And it doesn't. Individuality is something that emerges after the basics have been learned. It's not something that can be done consciously. As one of my teachers pointed out, we never really know who we are. If you just sit where you are for a few minutes, can you really name everything about yourself? No, there are things that you won't be able to know. Finding individuality is an unconscious process.

As an artist, I've found that you can't force yourself to develop a unique style. You can make little changes here and there, but even so, those changes are still inspired by the works of others. But then, after some time, you begin to develop a unique style without actually realizing it.

Thus, I think one of the greatest challenges for Handa will be subconsciously discovering an individual style. So far, his calligraphy has been all about keeping a conscious mind, studying every detail, paying attention to the basics of form and technique, but a sense of individuality only comes from not really concentrating on finding it. It is, in a way, a serendipitous process.

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Aug 9, 2014 4:13 PM

Oct 2013
Arachnidango said:
Was I the only one who noticed that the barrier Handa put up when Kawafuji was describing his middle school life was an AT Field?
everyone knows about that, i thinks this scene isnt so memorable but yes, its funny, Handa must be an Angel or something.
Aug 9, 2014 4:14 PM

May 2013
StefanMZ said:
LOL, they're having difficulties finding Handa-sensei's house, now that's pretty funny.

Naru has what it takes to become a great businesswoman XD.

Kawafuji go caught by the villagers since he's suspicious with all dem tattoos.

LOOOOL, "My friend Handa!" - "My friend Kawafuji!" - "My friend forever!" EPIC!

Oh, so that's the young guy that won the competition... he seems really annoying and actually is.

So Sensei actually knew who Kanzaki was and didn't commit seppuku... ah, Kawafuji had informed him.

Ah, Naru to Handa-sensei's rescue once again T.T

LOL, he just KO-ed Kanzaki XD.

Poor Tama thinks the BL army is growing XD.

i agree about Tama :DD but it was hilarious delusion :D
Fiat justitia ruat caelum.
Hi there 👋, my name is Oskars, I am a Full Stack Engineer, with experience of over 15 years.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
.fsociety
.rA9
Aug 9, 2014 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
So much embarrassment for Sensei! That Fujoshi girl ending :D
Aug 9, 2014 4:19 PM

Jun 2013
Some really deep stuff happened here. Sensei is clearly showing some character development ever since he landed on the island. I am so glad I found this gem of a anime this season.

Aug 9, 2014 4:43 PM

Aug 2009
I truly enjoy this anime. It never fails to make me laugh. After the ending theme was hilarious. btw I love the ending theme!! ugh I can't get enough!

Aug 9, 2014 4:59 PM

Dec 2012
Fantastic development this episode, I'm glad Handa feels like he knows what he's doing now instead of just hoping that he'd randomly improve. EVERY SINGLE episode so far has been so entertaining, cute and absolutely hilarious. The soundtrack - MARVELOUS.

Still AOTY for me, easily.
Aug 9, 2014 5:33 PM

Jul 2013
Man another great episode.
My friend forever!
Scene with all those paper planes was good :D
Handa getting embarrassed because of those lines XD

LOL Tama "The army keeps increasin'!"
Aug 9, 2014 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
Another very good,sweet and funny episode.
It was funny to see Sensei getting embarrassed about his quotes.

And the scene after the credits was funny as well.
Aug 9, 2014 6:10 PM

Sep 2012
One of the best episodes so far.
Aug 9, 2014 6:36 PM

Jun 2013
best series this season
Aug 9, 2014 6:49 PM

Sep 2012
That fujoshi is awesome!
Aug 9, 2014 7:24 PM

Jul 2010
The fujoshi girl after the end. God bless her.
Liked this episode much more than the previous one, and the two new characters have potential, I hope they won't go back to Tokyo anytime soon.
Aug 9, 2014 8:00 PM

Jan 2011
i'm worried the fujoshi girl(she has no other name!)might die by the end of this from over excitement lol
Aug 9, 2014 8:34 PM

Apr 2013
That episode felt so fast :o time just flies by.
And lmaoooo poor tama.
Aug 9, 2014 8:54 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I don't think this was as strong as last weeks, but still pretty good. Naru comes and saves the day with how light hearted and carefree she is. She's the breath of fresh air Handa needed in life.

Really love this show.
Aug 9, 2014 9:35 PM

Mar 2012
Naru is best.
OrvietoAug 9, 2014 10:30 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

154 by Term4738 »»
Yesterday, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

158 by Euonymus »»
Mar 20, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

337 by Devonnius »»
Feb 21, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2014

400 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 10:31 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

175 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 11:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.