Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2018 12:26 PM
Mar 2017
What a spectacular match, the girls reached the limit and finally Nagisa managed to stay with the victory and Ayano was again the little and adorable girl who was before.
The friendship of Nagisa and Riko moves me, Riko is the best friend a girl could have, she supported her until the end and that support was grateful for Nagisa.
It is good to know that Ayano and Elena are reconciled, Ayano thanks her for having her enter the badmington club
It's good that Nagisa does not have something serious in her knee, apparently it was only something minor and she could recover and continue playing with the same intensity as before, Ayano and her untimely invitation to play a game was funny, but at least it is not with the same intention as before.

The only point that I did not like much, was the meeting between Ayano and Ushika, in simple words she "forgave" her mother, really?. Well at least Ayano rejected her invitation to go to Denmark with her and Connie, good job Ayano.

Anyway, I like the manga of Hanebado, at least as far as history is concerned, but the animation of this adaptation was great, the matches were intense, the expressions of the girls showed the effort they put into each service.
Sep 30, 2018 12:31 PM

Dec 2009
It was ok, but pissed off that she forgave such a shit mom so easily. Badminton aside she abandoned her daughter and traumatised her.
Sep 30, 2018 12:35 PM
Jan 2018
PureAgiMaxReborn said:
Well that's BS, how could hard work (also injured) beat talent (with decent hard work) smfh

1/10

Can someone tell what happened in the manga like if this is legit or nah coz I don't plan on reading the manga now after this garbage of an ending

completely different , something happens before the match with nagiasia and during the match and ayano loses due to fainting it was hard to tell why as it was raw but i might have been overworking herself and theres no mother conversation at the end on the match as she never watched it

ayano was baited to do another match against someone els her mother trained and if she won she could see her mum as her mum didnt appear much as she did in he anime at this point
Mattinator95Sep 30, 2018 12:39 PM
Sep 30, 2018 12:38 PM

May 2015
MataNN said:
hysteresis said:
BS ending for BS anime. Glad it's finally over.
3/10
3/10?? For that finale it should get a 1/10...

Well, probably. I might rethink it. But I didn't hate this show entirely for whatever reason. Aragaki was a nice character and the graphics didn't suck, I guess?
And as I said the final was on par with the rest of the season, and it went down to 3 long time ago, the final didn't change it much, cause I didn't expect anything spectacular from it.
Sep 30, 2018 12:38 PM

Jun 2008
I really liked the final match and I'm glad Nagisa won but I hated the way the mother storyline was resolved. Ayano should never speak to that bitch again. I'd been waiting so long for a girls sports anime that didn't focus on fanservice or romance but this wasn't quite what I was looking for. Far too melodramatic. I wanted something that was more like a girl version of Haikyuu.

I'm so conflicted about whether I should rate this a 5/10 or a 6/10.
Sep 30, 2018 12:43 PM

Sep 2016
NONE of the characters are likable, especially Ayano (ultra instinct)
way too much annoying drama
the matches are all boring
There's not a single redeeming quality about this anime.
2/10, at least it doesn't look awful
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 30, 2018 12:48 PM

Jul 2014
The first half was pure awesome, I really got very excited and I'm satisfied with the result of the match.....but then they had to ruin it with the mother, seriously, what an unsatisfactory conclusion, they practically proved her to be right.

And overall, this was being my anime of the season up to episode 4 or 5, but once Darth Ayano appeared and her drama took over the series, my entertainment wasn't the same. The mother's plot was handled horribly and DA seemed too exaggerated to me, sometimes bordering on the silly. At least I'm glad Ayano showed her real self at the end, that mix between good girl and a little bit of shit, it's a pity that it came too late, if they had shown her this way from the beginning her change wouldn't have seemed so exaggerated and extreme.

With all that said, I still enjoyed it, the interactions between most of the characters were fun, I liked some of the other dramas. and the sports part was very exciting, like, I still remember that Kaoruko vs Ayano. I almost forgot to mention the OP, which has become one of my favorites.

...And the big winner of the series was the tennis team captain, he finally got a fan :'D

SkyLETVSep 30, 2018 1:22 PM
Sep 30, 2018 12:49 PM
Feb 2010
Actually, rewatched ep12. Now this ending makes much more sense. Things hold together much better and while slightly naive, it's still sensible. 8/10. Would have been 9 if this episode had been more complex.
Sep 30, 2018 12:54 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I

NEED

MORE

OF

THIS

IN

MY

LIFE
Sep 30, 2018 1:15 PM
Jan 2016
Great finale! The best possible finale with something that i disliked!

Congratulations for Nagisa, deserved the win, break her limits for sure, and after winning her scene crying, was really sensed for me! I am happy for her! And happy to know that her knee is well!

Of course that Ayano showed she really have a lot of tricks, and proved her talent! I am glad that Ayano understood in middle of game that she plays badmiton because she likes and enjoy with it! Welcome back Ayano!

The moment between Ayano and Elena was beautiful, thanked Elena for never leaved her, and be always there for her! Ayano showned heartfelt redemption too!

Moment between Nagisa and was really cute, Riko blushing is the best!

I just disliked how Ayano handled Uchika, it wasn't satisfying for me, looked like Uchika didn't done nothing wrong! Like Ayano said "i hated you", so, now she don't hate her?Next Ayano tell her that "Lets play one day!" like nothing had happen! For sure i am happy that Ayano have refused his offer! But meh!

I love how they are now! And i like Ayano even more like that! Her moments with Nagisa at the end were awesome!

So perfect!

9/10
Sep 30, 2018 1:26 PM

May 2017
I honestly really enjoyed that anime. The only problems I had was the fact Ayano's character was changing to erratically if you ask me. Also the fact that it was way too over-dramatic at certain points, it seemed like it was trying to be rather edgy.
Everything else was fine though, an alright show overall.
6/10
Sep 30, 2018 1:33 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty solid sports anime with some pretty awesome animation across most of the show
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 30, 2018 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
Aaaaand the cop out "we love badminton therefore it's all good and done" ending, I wish real life conflicts were this easy.

4/10 just because the animation looks nice when it isn't 100% rotoscoping, and I kind of liked the first few episodes before the Ayano drama began.
Sep 30, 2018 1:44 PM

Feb 2014
The finale of Hanebado! sums up my like and dislikes of the show in general.

Starting with what I like, and that was the rest of the final match between Ayano and Nagisa. The animation team can pat themselves on their backs for such a fine and impressive job with the match overall. It looked crisp, smooth and it kept the intensity of such a fast-paced racket sport. The match also got to the 2-clear point or deuce scenario where both players are running on fumes and mistakes can easily happen if they lose even 1% of their focus.

And thus, the ultimate victor was Nagisa. Her emotions after the match was perfect though, showcasing just how much that win really meant to her after fighting through the pain barrier of her knee to finally win against Ayano.

As for Ayano, she took the defeat pretty well and wants to get along better with her mother, Uchika. While that's nice and all, Uchika as a whole sums up what I don't like about this show.

Not only did that scene feel a bit anti-climatic without a good feeling of closure, but her involvement in this story has been controversial at the very least. She's mostly to blame for Ayano's cold personality other the last half of the series, causing a split between both sides of viewers who either supported Ayano's personality shift or hated it.

In my opinion, her personality was harsh and unneeded at times, but on many occasions, she bluntly told the truth regardless if she was talking her fellow badminton club members or even her friend Elena. Most of her actions were justified at the time, but all the important events led to Nagisa rightly beating her in the final that helped Ayano shift her personality back to its true form. She still has that sinister playful side, as shown near the end of the episode where she tries to get Nagisa to play her at badminton, despite her injured knee, but she's now enjoying playing the sport she loves again and cares a lot about her fellow club members.

7/10 is my final score and.......

Ayano is so CUTE!!!!! X3
Sep 30, 2018 1:52 PM
May 2016
This episode 13 spoiled the whole tension that the anime had been presenting. I definitely hated this cliché ending.
Sep 30, 2018 2:00 PM

Apr 2012
hirahira said:
I really liked the final match and I'm glad Nagisa won but I hated the way the mother storyline was resolved. Ayano should never speak to that bitch again. I'd been waiting so long for a girls sports anime that didn't focus on fanservice or romance but this wasn't quite what I was looking for. Far too melodramatic. I wanted something that was more like a girl version of Haikyuu.

I'm so conflicted about whether I should rate this a 5/10 or a 6/10.

In that case, you might like Asahinagu, although this manga does not have an anime adaptation yet.
Sep 30, 2018 2:01 PM
Mar 2015
I'm glad Aragaki won the match. Honestly i wasnt expecting her to win but I really wanted her to win because i cant see her winning against Ayano again (given how gifted she is) in the future.
Sep 30, 2018 2:06 PM

Oct 2012
Really happy Nagisa won. She's was able to overcome her habits and play not just with her heart but with her mind. Looks like Ayano's going to be OK afterall but I do strongly suggest she gets some counseling before her mother abandonment issues pop up again.
Sep 30, 2018 2:20 PM
Mar 2018
Glad that idiocy is over. 4/10
Sep 30, 2018 2:20 PM

May 2018
Good match and I'm glad Ayano kept parts of her cocky persona.
But then they really had to do it and (partially) forgive her mother. Well, not really but that conclusion with Ayano's mom was so status quo. "Nah, I'm not coming with you to Denmark, but we're cool".
By the camera position I still had the slight hope that Ayano would go to her and punch her mom in the face. Too bad.
Dropped from 7/10 to 6/10
Sep 30, 2018 2:29 PM
Jan 2014
SJ7izm said:
Ayano got robbed on one of those match points. I think the one where it became 20-20.

This was funny, though.

The truth is that Ayanon has always had that personality of intimidating others, only that he hides it and knows how to use it when She needs to provoke his opponents. XD

That means that her unstable and psychotic personality has always been part of her... xD
Sep 30, 2018 2:30 PM

Nov 2016
This episode salved it for me. Surprisingly this season had many good final episodes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 30, 2018 2:38 PM

Sep 2017
It has good animation, but the rest of the show is extremely standard spocon. Most of the characters of the badminton club don't get that much development or don't get it at all and others like Ayano's mom aren't handled in a satisfying way at all. That last match was the best part of the show by far, though. Overall a 6/10.
Sep 30, 2018 2:39 PM
Jan 2014
Love this beautiful reflection, regardless of what we do, work, sports, studies... everything is a competition, where we simply face our own limitations, capacities and psychological and social anguish...

...since at the end of the day, what is always on the other side of the mirror....of the net, is ourself... a struggle to surpass ourselves.

That was really beautiful and inspiring...

Sep 30, 2018 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode but i think everything ended way to easy...
I get the fact that the way she treated her mother means that she had surpassed what she did to her and that she is now a new person but it just felt way too easy.

I'm happy that Ayano finally found the reason why she loves playing badminton but i was rooting for her and i wish she had won :/

A few episodes ago i said that this anime is a 9/10 no matter what, but after watching this episode... i felt like something was missing, and that sucks because i really liked this anime and i'm a big badminton fan.

Would be amazing if there was another season but judging by the sales of Hanebado in Japan it will never happen :(

I will miss this great OP, it's rare to see a sports anime with this quality, especially badminton (this is probably the only badminton anime xD), and the matches were definitely one of the best!

The ED cards make me want to see a 2nd season xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 30, 2018 2:48 PM
Sep 2018
At least they ended it up with a good note. This would have been a good story if there is less angst on it.

I'm not sure if there will be season 2 for this anime because it's different from the manga's story. I love playing badminton, so hands down to the creator of this, Kousuke Hamada!! Thank you for making this!

I dunno why the production team chose not to follow the manga's story. Quite disappointed on that. The only thing I don't like in manga is the fan service. I would rate this as 6.5/10. It would go up if the're would be another season.

Still, art/animation is great and enjoyed watching it! Kudos to the team! Thank you!
Sep 30, 2018 2:51 PM

Jul 2013
Kaoruko with "beat Hanesaki" headband at the end was priceless. Best girl will never surrender!
Sep 30, 2018 2:53 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8EMndSFFMk

shots fucking fired LMAO

boy did i LOOOOOOOVE this anime... two of the sexiest female leads ever

Ayano is both cute and sexy, and Nagisa is just straight up BAE
Sep 30, 2018 3:01 PM
May 2015
Crap match... Reading the manga and it’s astounding how much they nerfed Ayano in the anime. You mean to tell me a world elite athlete in Ayano loses to a mediocre player with a bum knee in Nagisa? Lol what the hell?

And obviously the resolution with her mom was complete garbage

7/10 for the anime
4/10 for the episode
Sep 30, 2018 3:15 PM

Jul 2016
u guys r dumb this anime was good even if its flaws werent handled correctly
-漫~*'¨¯¨'*·舞~ 🎀 𝓈𝒾𝑔𝓃𝑒𝒹 𝓃𝒾𝓃𝒶 🎀 ~舞·*'¨¯¨'*~漫-
Sep 30, 2018 3:45 PM
Feb 2017
You can paint a shit gold but it remains shit. This is just animation, nothing more.
Drama came down to nothing, bullshit resolve with the evergreen "let's be friends" crap, a badminton monster beaten by an amputee-like who just "worked hard a couple of weeks" to be able to win, since she got raped during each sparring session and what else? Just a cheesy stinking dump, it's like seeing the Lakers winning the finals just because their fans can cheer the loudest. Gotta find a rope to hang this 'anime', it's simple pollution.
Sep 30, 2018 3:50 PM

Jun 2011
So beyond disappointed with this one.. I wouldn't classify this as a sports anime just like I wouldn't say that Ping Pong the Animation is a sports anime, though PPTA qualifies more imo. This is a drama that uses badminton as a medium to tell its story.

The characters in this series are trash, they have no consistency at all, they flip from one side to another in a blink of an eye.

The drama is even worse, arguably the worst thing about this show. Why is it so angsty, like wth man why do you look like you would disassemble a dog, limbs from limbs and watch it cry out for help with a smile on your face? Also, everyone in this show is just mad about something all the time, if it's not Nagisa, then it's Ayano, if it's not Ayano, then it's someone else.. Christ just stop bro you're 16 or something in your high school years.. and you're not even doing drug.

There's also issue with power creep. They display how perfect these players are, perfect drop, perfect smash, godlike agility, godlike reaction speed, godlike footstep, like wth? Ayano was even about to beat her ADULT MALE OLYMPICS participant coach in a match.. come on..

Very, very disappointed. I heard that the Japanese fans were outraged because the studio changed the original source and made it so freakin edgy. Will definitely give the manga a chance in the future but if there's something I've learned from this, it's that animation studios can't hire a competent writers to save their job, no wonder 99% of the fillers today suck donkey ass.

oh yea and to the people who like Ayano now, she's so crazy she would challenge someone in cast to a match knowing it would risk her future career as a pro badminton player.. just take a second and think about that. Ayano is still a trash character
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 30, 2018 4:04 PM

Nov 2017
Trash episode. Every single character annoyed me and the cry moments pissed me off.
I’m just not fond of the intense and slow-motion moments in that really unimportant useless match, idc if it was ‘important’ for their personal relationship they should just be friends thats all there is to it
Ofcourse the mom gets forgiven and basically reunites with ayano
All the girls crying this episode was 1/5 and the show gets a mere 6/10 total from me

~ just my experience and short opinion

plz @ me
Sep 30, 2018 4:15 PM
Mar 2018
i only wanted to see something and that was a FUCK YOU MOM I DON'T NEED YOU GO AWAY WITH YOU?RE NEW DAUGHTER.... FUCK YOU!!

but they don't gave me that final act :'v

Sep 30, 2018 4:24 PM
Jul 2017
This girl reminds me of my cousin, she had the exact same condition from playing volleyball. But, just like Nagisa, she completely ignored what the doctors told her and didn't stop playing. the knee inevitably went kaput. Health 1st & competition 2nd Nagisa. You dumbass.
Sep 30, 2018 4:26 PM

Aug 2013
Lelouch0202 said:

First question, how faithful is the anime to the manga? I know that some of the character introductions were completely changed but is this match exactly how it is the manga as well?

You're better off starting at the very beginning. The manga and anime have two very different atmospheres. The manga is more light-hearted with a slice of life feel that doesn't really put an edge on the badminton idea until a little later on. In addition, Ayano isn't a damn edgelord. Plus there's a lot more fanservice for some reason. Also, the manga fan translation is severely behind. The raws are up to 64 or 65 while the english translation is at like chapter 17. Though I'm pretty sure Hanebado is licensed anyways.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 30, 2018 4:28 PM

Aug 2013
The inconsistency in this series really detracted my enjoyment that I held in the very beginning. Though the match between Nagisa and Ayano was pretty legit, everything in-between from characterizations to plot points (specifically with Uchika and Connie) were poorly handled. What could have been a 7 to 8/10 for me is now like a 5.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 30, 2018 4:33 PM
Sep 2018
Anyone knows the background music from 4:30 to 5:30, I really wanna know.
Sep 30, 2018 4:44 PM

May 2016
Over dramatic and stupid.

To much drama and filter characters.

The final was I guess Talent vs Hard Work, but you know since Aragaki was injured I
hated the end.

If the Ayano in this episode would have been the regular then I would have loved this series, a shame.

Still deciding the score but probably 6 or lower.
Sep 30, 2018 4:48 PM

Dec 2014
DedPanda said:
Lelouch0202 said:

First question, how faithful is the anime to the manga? I know that some of the character introductions were completely changed but is this match exactly how it is the manga as well?

You're better off starting at the very beginning. The manga and anime have two very different atmospheres. The manga is more light-hearted with a slice of life feel that doesn't really put an edge on the badminton idea until a little later on. In addition, Ayano isn't a damn edgelord. Plus there's a lot more fanservice for some reason. Also, the manga fan translation is severely behind. The raws are up to 64 or 65 while the english translation is at like chapter 17. Though I'm pretty sure Hanebado is licensed anyways.

I see, that sounds good. Thanks. :)
Sep 30, 2018 4:50 PM

Apr 2013
I love and hate this show. It's way too dramatic and has confusing concept of good and evil. Despite the weaknesses, it was pretty exciting, has good animation and succeed in conveying badminton as a sport.
6.5/10
Sep 30, 2018 5:14 PM

Apr 2014
this last ep kinda killed some points for me cause the whole mom thing wasn't handled well at all as for Ayano Losing i'm not even surprised as they set it up that way for the longest no one should really be surprised by the fact she lost as it was extremely obvious it was gonna happen no matter what

with that said i'm sure this was anime original ending but this whole anime does feel anime original aside from a few parts that's in both the anime and manga but its very few from what i have seen that's translated

but let me just say the manga is a completely different series with lots more going on and to even say the mom is even worst there lol

but the anime was still nice imo loved the animation and certain other things but as far as i have seen the manga is a lot better
"one step at a time"
Sep 30, 2018 5:37 PM

May 2015
Tarotist said:
But at least give us one direct confrontation between Ayano and Uchika. I think when that happens, Uchika is just going to say "You got good.", and Ayano smiles and then they all go on their merry way.

CALLED IT!

Tarotist said:

"Once the tournament is over, why not leave Japan with me?"
Yes, yes. The power of motherly love and acceptance will bring Ayano back to her senses, and she will be able to play a fair game against Nagisa in the finals where she won't be playing to win, but playing to have fun instead. Sure Ayano will think about leaving Japan with Uchika, but she's probably going to pull that talk about having her friends support her in Japan and being there for her when her mother couldn't do what a mother was supposed to do, so she will stay.

CALLED IT AGAIN!

Aaand...that's it. Nagisa wins, Ayano smiles again, and Uchika leaves...

Hanebado...Music was ok. Art isn't bad. Animation was great...but...I honestly didn't care about the animation because the drama aspect of the series overshadowed it. The only character that mattered to me in this series was Ayano. Everyone else is forgettable. Nagisa is the typical athlete who wants to be the best that she can be. In this final episode, I personally did not care if she won or not, and despite the amount of detail put in the animation, I was just waiting for it to end to see how Ayano would react. Ayano's disrespectful and condescending behavior is what kept me watching, and I wanted to see how her problems would be resolved. And the resolution was...whatever. I wanted more Kaoruko since she's the one who relates to Ayano more than anyone else. She's condescending, but she had skill. She's the only other character that I wanted to watch other than Ayano. It's saddening. Ayano was put into a situation that could have made for a great dramatic scene with her mother. But no. No screaming. No rage. No bitch slaps. No nothing. Just "I hate you, but I love badminton." You had the opportunity to end it with a bang, but you blew it. Oh well. I guess I can say that I had some fun watching Hanebado. Ayano was pretty refreshing. So when's the next sport anime going to have someone like her...and do it right next time?

FINAL VERDICT:
TarotistSep 30, 2018 7:34 PM
Sep 30, 2018 5:54 PM

Oct 2010
You know, I watched the finales of both my favorite (Revue Starlight) and my least favorite show of the season (this one) today, and the contrast is striking.

I was underwhelmed by the finale of Revue Starlight. I enjoyed a lot this last episode of Hanebado!.

And yet, the finale of Revue Starlight was conceptually a great wrap-up that made me further appreciate the entire series and its goals more. While the finale of Hanebado! just reminded me of how disjointed this whole show is and further cemented my issues.

This apparent contradiction is demonstrated in the case of Hanebado! by the lack of narrative weight a lot of it has. It's a great climax that stands on top of virtually nothing, an intense standalone episode but a poor answer to the show's route. For instance, side characters cheering Ayano have no gravity whatsoever because they almost ignored her through the series and she almost ignored them, I mean, they had their own narratives that went completely separated from Ayano's issues while their viewpoint of her 99% of the time was just "-Hey look at that psycho jerk -Oh yeah she exists". Ayano reinforcing her ties with the badminton team is absurd because these ties only existed narratively speaking for a short amount of time, like episode 4 before Connie did her thing. Speaking of, the scene of Uchika. You can't give me that character with that bullshit reasoning and that nonchalant attitude while being the most harmful and toxic person in the entire show and not give her the physical and emotional torture she deserves. Or I don't know, don't make Ayano basically forgive her and end up in good terms.

The lack of correspondence of this finale with the rest of the show is why clearly the best part is the match, and that was glorious. A bit conflicted about whether the heavy breathing sequence was really that good or not, but it was original I guess. The rest was spot on and absolutely beautiful to watch. It's something that unlike the other elements that conform this episode, could exist perfectly as a standalone.

In the end, I don't have big complaints about this episode, just about the entire structure and growth of the show. They did what I wanted them to, Ayano losing and realizing that there's worth in losing, coming to terms with the team and realizing that she has to play badminton to enjoy healthy competition and not to live up to the standards of Uchika. But since the series was so incompetent in its writing and buildup to that point, none of that feels natural outside of the individual expressive reach of the episode.

8/10 for this episode and a high 5/10 for the series.
jal90Sep 30, 2018 5:58 PM
Sep 30, 2018 5:54 PM

Oct 2017
decent ending to an average show. Good thing that Ayano lost, arrogance blinded her and turned her into an edge queen, a terrible MC, but I guess she's back to her cute self now. I don't know about badminton but I do follow tennis and sometimes top players lose to lower ranked ones, so I don't see Nagisa winning this one time that far fetched, besides she was the best at the club before Ayano joined.
Animation was great, soundtrack ok. Ayano's mother is the shittiest of the season, only good relevant character was Nagisa.
6/10
Sep 30, 2018 6:18 PM

May 2014
after all the dumb drama and mommy issues they end it with a generic friendship power cliche My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined
Sep 30, 2018 6:24 PM

Apr 2016
I think mostly everything that happened makes sense. I believe they really messed up on Connie's character, but for the most part I feel like everyone aside from the mother did something reasonable.

-Connie being mean to Ayano, and then trying to start a sisterhood with her was stupid. Bad writing there.

-Uchika never looking regretful of her faults and decisions as a mother was stupid too. She's still a bad mom, and it seems like she doesn't really care. Although, I guess that is sort of realistic since there are mothers like her.

-Ayana's character seems realistic to me. She didn't want to play badminton, but ended up playing it and made tons of friends. Her past came back to haunt her, and then she become an ultra-dickhead with no restraint to spite those who harmed her in the past with her friends also getting affected. In the end realized she was playing for the wrong reasons, and decided she wanted to play for her own reasons. She just loves the sport, and wants to be the best basically. But it also helped her create new bonds with friends. Nagisa is her rival, so of course she's going to try to bait her into a match. I see nothing wrong with their exchanges after she lost. That's what competitors/rivals do. I liked Ayano's character arc. She's a flawed person due to a troubled past who is using a sport to create bonds with people to find her happiness in life. Also, key point: AYANO DID NOT 100% FORGIVE HER MOM. So stop saying that, She simply said, "eh, I'm over using my hate for you to fuel my love for badminton. Im gonna chill with my friends. See ya." That is not a sign of forgiveness. Even the "Let's play some time" with a blushing smile isn't a real sign of forgiveness. It's a sign of growth, but not forgiveness.

Nagisa - Awesome girl... but You know, I'm not really a big fan of he whole "natural talent > hark work" thing that was being forced into this show when there was an episode of Nagisa being attacked for being tall "so of course she's good." You could have Ayano's quick reflexes or Nagisa's physical advantage. It doesn't mean anything without the hard working being put behind it. Both Nagisa and Ayano worked very hard to be as good as they are right now. But her story was pretty good overall.

-Supporting cast (boys team, girls team, coaches, other school teams) - Overall did a solid job contributing, and also adding their own mini stories into the anime. I never felt like there was something useless added. It showed that everyone is really playing for their own reason. They're just children still, so of course they're trying to find their way in life and find what to keep them going. The scene with the words did a great job illustrating this. I think everyone really left on a happy note except for Connie.. who is likely the worst part of this anime. The show writers did a terrible job writing Connie. Even worse than the mom.

Overall, I'd probably give this a 7.5/10, but I'll round up to an 8. It's definitely something I'd consider watching again, and that's enough for me. I enoyed the art. Voice acting. Animation during the playing scenes. Character development for a majority of the players. Dramatic finish. It did most of these things at least well. That's enough for me to say, "yeah I fux with this anime"
[
Sep 30, 2018 6:36 PM

Oct 2017
meh, the ending is a much disappointment when they decide not to follow the manga and try so hard to repair Ayano and her mom relationship in just a split sec, better read the manga it is much better than the anime. not saying it is a bad one but I will just give it a fine rating, the animation looks great but the plot is...just don't make any sense

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Sep 30, 2018 6:49 PM

Jan 2013
its great that Nagisa obviously got her win back after being humbled twice by Ayano but thats probably the only good part story wise of this thing.

however...this show does such an awful job at character resolutions that they even had the Ayano and her mom thing, which was the meat of the entire story, resolved like it was nothing important. from Pinky, Connie, Ayano being an asshole, the mom, and the tension between the mom and Ayano, all of that was handled as if they dont matter after being built up so much, then resolve all of them in like at most two minutes, and expect us to be ok with that.
as i said plenty of time, they only did Nagisa right which is not saying much since they had her in the background most of the time

they had something going for a long while but once Ayano wrecked Pinky, shit had gone down the melodramatic shitter.

the animation was at least good so ill be nice and give it a 6/10
dannymilkSep 30, 2018 6:53 PM
Sep 30, 2018 6:50 PM

Aug 2014
Fuck this. Give me a wholesome Nozomi spin-off without that creep ass coach please.
Sieg Zeon!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does Uchika deserve any redemption?

MCA5EY - Dec 26, 2018

10 by _PEAK »»
Mar 17, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

115 by Seabury »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

121 by Kaisoooo94 »»
May 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

126 by Ronninn »»
Dec 10, 2022 10:30 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

38 by Ronninn »»
Dec 7, 2022 5:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.