Forum Settings
Forums

What makes you hate a character? (give character examples)

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 28, 2018 5:04 PM

Jan 2018
I hate characters that are typical Mary Sues - practically flawless and self-righteous, thus unbearably one-dimensional and annoying (Nagisa from Clanand, Tohru from Fruits Basket, just to name a few).

Also, overly moe and/or over-sexualized characters are just ........... cringe (there are too many to count).

Another pet peeve of mine are poorly written and convoluted characters whose motivations are completely unclear (Susaku, I'm looking at you).

Lastly, I just can't stand the loud, abnoxious, borderline-retarded brats like Luffy from One Piece - that's the seconf reason why I never got into that anime (no offence) :/
Moving_castleAug 28, 2018 5:10 PM
Aug 28, 2018 6:00 PM

Jul 2016

I love Mary Sues. Does that mean I have shit taste!?
Aug 28, 2018 6:02 PM

Jan 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
I love Mary Sues. Does that mean I have shit taste!?

Of course not, just different from mine :D
Aug 28, 2018 6:21 PM

Aug 2014
I dislike all sorts of characters, but prime examples would be whiny crybabies (like Yuki from Mirai Nikki and Shinji from Evangelion) and obnoxious characters (like Grell Sutcliff from Black Butler).
Aug 28, 2018 6:26 PM
Aug 2018
If the character is hilariously edgy to the point of it being eye-roll worthy and treats other characters poorly but they're the hero so they're still good. Best example is probably Eren Jaeger.

No good examples are coming to mind but I dislike violent tsundere girls who slap around their male partners. It's not acceptable when guy characters do it so it's not when female ones do either. I like tsunderes but not if they're physically violent.

I hate pushover male MCs with boring designs and no personality, like Every Harem Main Male Character Ever.

Female characters who do nothing but are still treated as main characters, usually for ship-bait. Sakura from Naruto comes to mind, and so would Ochako from MHA if I didn't find her so charming.

The "haha goofy cool guy!" main character like Natsu, Luffy, and Naruto.

Soft boy main characters who cry all the damn time and are just SO GOOD and nice and save everyone just because, usually with boring designs. Deku comes to mind but he's growing on me.
Aug 28, 2018 6:55 PM

Mar 2009
I think most character traits can be written in a way that is really fun in the right writer's hands.

I think traditional uncomplicated heroic characters tend to be boring though. Same with sweet girls who never have a bad thought in their life. As long as there's some complexity, I can potentially enjoy them, but there's some characters where I think this isn't done very well

Ex. Nagisa from Clannad
ClaptrapAug 28, 2018 7:03 PM
Aug 28, 2018 7:16 PM

Jul 2016
SadMadoka said:
I dislike all sorts of characters, but prime examples would be whiny crybabies (like Yuki from Mirai Nikki and Shinji from Evangelion) and obnoxious characters (like Grell Sutcliff from Black Butler).

I, too, judge male characters much harsher.

I generally want them to act how I would.
Aug 28, 2018 7:27 PM

Aug 2014
IpreferEcchi said:

Most of my favorite male characters (listed on my profile) are arrogant or at least generally confident.
Aug 28, 2018 7:33 PM

Jul 2016
SadMadoka said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Most of my favorite male characters (listed on my profile) are arrogant or at least generally confident.

I don't list favorite male characters on mine because male characters are a stand-in for me, and I don't waste space putting myself in my favorites.

Favorites = waifus or eye candy.
Aug 28, 2018 7:38 PM

Oct 2015
alright
let's go with 3 that ill mention

Misaka Mikoto from railgun(dont really mind her in index pre se)

Ishtar from FGO

Ohgi from Gayass

So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Aug 28, 2018 7:56 PM

Jan 2018
- Suzuku from code geass just watching him makes me want to hit my screen.
- Violent tsunderes like Lousie she's the bitichest character I've ever seen there is not a single episode where she hasn't beaten MC to the pulp.
- Asuka because of how she acts high and mighty and especially that movie 3.0.

Also, the Beta male characters and u know why
Aug 28, 2018 7:58 PM

May 2015
Killjoys, or any character in an anime whose purpose is to take the fun out of everything...

Iron-Blooded Orphans' Ioq Qujan

Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple's Haruo Nijima

Macross's Lynn Kaifun.

Not Peach Girl's Sae Kashiwagi though. She was cool. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of characters in Shoujo dramas that people hate...
Aug 28, 2018 7:58 PM

May 2017
cowardice, insecurity, hysteria, stupidity

Haruyuki Arita (accel world)
Amano Yukiteru (mirai nikki)
Raki (claymore)
Katsuki Bakugou (bnha)
Asta (black clover)
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Aug 28, 2018 8:02 PM

Nov 2015
Traitors and wish-fulfillment characters.
Aug 28, 2018 9:04 PM

Jul 2016
You all got played, by the way. The purpose of this was to give me recommendations for bitchy female characters, because I love bitchy female characters.
Aug 28, 2018 9:13 PM

Oct 2010
Hatta and Komatsu from Kimagure Orange Road, the biggest douchbags in existence, they betray their friends everytime, they are jackasses. I'm angry even mentioning their names.
CatalanoAug 28, 2018 9:18 PM
Aug 29, 2018 12:45 AM

Jul 2016
ninjaalex2 said:

What kind of traitors do you mean, though?
Aug 29, 2018 12:47 AM

Apr 2018
Explosive dude from bnha
And the father of ice/fire dude

Should be killed
Aug 29, 2018 1:39 AM

Mar 2012
  • Having the advantage of some sort of forced relationship and using it as an argument for being together - accidental engagement (Wolfram), there are others but I've never seen anyone take it as far as Wolfram does.
  • Tsunderes taken to extremes - Wolfram, Louise
  • Pretty face with shit personality with all fans swarming around trying to justify everything he does - Wolfram, if he were to walk into a wall it would definitely be the wall's fault for getting in his way you know!
  • Characters who rape or attempt to rape their love-interest or make unnecessary sexual advances - Wolfram (attempted rape in LN, manga, that was most probably the worst of him)
  • Characters who only care about sex - Wolfram
  • Loud-mouths who always keep on bickering and shouting about something or the other - Wolfram, even his seiyuu admits to it
  • Self-entitled delusional characters who keep on pushing something even when it's pretty obvious that others are not into it - Wolfram
  • Authors showing unnecessary bias for the character to the point they don't mind degrading other characters and messing up the entire plot - Wolfram (manga, 3rd musical)
  • When fujos go "this is a good representation of LGBT" for a couple where a gay guy constantly harasses a straight guy, because harassment and a little bit of rape are important to make a straight guy "come out" of course, silly me! - Wolfram
  • Characters who share a unanimous popularity in the fanbase to the point disliking them becomes an incomprehensible sin - Wolfram
  • When fan-translators celebrate something bad happening to a good character for the sake of one character - Wolfram
  • When people want other characters dead so that the character can get more change "to develop his relationship" with the MC - Wolfram
  • When a character doesn't even give their love-interest the option to decide on their future and "choose" a partner for themselves - Wolfram

Oh wait... Wolfram is the only character I truly hate, I forget about most others I dislike withing a few days of completing (or dropping) the series.
Aug 29, 2018 1:55 AM
Jul 2018
male characters who look like girls and talk like girls trigger the shit outta me
Aug 29, 2018 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
I have a lot I don't like, but edgy and "emo" prince characters is starting to be a character type I really loathe. All of the ones I seen so far just make me hate the shit out of them even though they are supposed to be sympathetic.

And boring characters with no notable traits or whatsoever. I don't care if they are a nice and kind person, it still doesn't make it any less boring for me.
Aug 29, 2018 6:25 AM

Apr 2013
Characters who misunderstand other but don't listen to them and instead get violent for no good reason. So basically violent tsundere like Louise.
Aug 29, 2018 11:12 AM

Jul 2016
I hate Akito Himenokouji because he wasted everyone's time.

I hate Issei Hyoudou and Kazuma Satou because dying in episode 1 is pathetic and they were rewarded for it.
Aug 29, 2018 11:36 AM

Nov 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
ninjaalex2 said:

What kind of traitors do you mean, though?

Pretty much all kinds, except maybe double agents.

- Suzaku in Code Geass.
- Kirei in Fate/Zero.
- Most of the Aldnoah Zero cast.
- Sasuke in Naruto.
Aug 29, 2018 12:06 PM

Sep 2015
I fucking hate:

- Weak, whiny characters like Raki (Claymore), Emiya Shirou (Fate).
- Dumb characters like Yukiteru (Mirai Nikki) and Shinji (Fate)
- Whole cast of Re:zero
- Wannabe tsunderes but they're just annoying and useless as hell like Noelle (Black Clover), Eva Heinemann (Monster), Nobuna (Oda Nobuna no Yabou)
- Yandere characters (especially Yuno )
- Weak, bland, brainless female characters like Yui (Diabolik Lovers), Yuzuki (Sengoku Night Blood), Ema (Brothers Conflict)
Aug 29, 2018 3:40 PM

Jul 2016
xxSaya said:
Whole cast of Re:zero

Felt and Elsa are actually best girls.
Aug 29, 2018 3:45 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Well I'm not 10. Hating a fictional fuck nugget sounds pretty dumb.

Swagernator said:
If they are gay, or act like a gay, or have gay friends or are part of gay loving fanbase.

Levi from SNK
Eren from SNK
Katsuki from BNHA
Izuku from BNHA

And so on, we all know how it goes.

This could literally apply to any anime guy ever. But this got a good laugh out of me for the obvious reason.
Aug 29, 2018 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
- Gary Stues, (some) overpowered characters and the like.
Plain harem protagonists or boring and plain "just nice" (Shoujo) heroines and ofc, male mcs too.

- Heroines who are too dumb to live and just being there for a puppet wandering around and let things happen to her.

- Characters without their own identity or opinion. Every person has their own mindset and I want to see more than "yeah, I guess, I'll fight for justice or the like".
If I get the feeling that something is going in their head and there are more layers to their personality and psyche, I maybe will like them.

- Edgelords and characters, who are simply too badass. It's hard to describe and it depends on the character. So it's really a hit or miss to me.
I always disliked Revy from Black Lagoon for example or Lucy from Elfen Lied. Psycho- and sociopathic main characters, who are fine with killing people without a thought. They are just aren't my cup of tea.
There are other "badasses" I really like on the other hand. For example, this season's Banana Fish. I love Ash, tho I expected something else from the description, which said "nurture made him a ruthless killer". Lucy was a ruthless killer, Ash is far away from that level. The anime surprised me in a positive way with that character being different from what I expected from the synopsis.

- If they are emotionally too one-dimensional and too good to believe it, also with or without an explanation.
One example? I really thought that Aladdin from Magi is a cutie and smart and all (he also has a cute character design), but he is still my least favorite character there, because that boy couldn't hold a negative emotion like grief, angst or anger longer than for five minutes.

- Not in every case ofc, but for some: characters who won't reflect their own mistakes, actions and thoughts at some points in the story.
They don't have to and it's fitting for the mindset of some not to do, but I prefer the opposite nonetheless. Every character appears smarter and as a great or at least somewhat better person, if they can reflect themselves.

- Characters with too little flaws and who are "too strong". Tbh, I really like somewhat "weak" characters. They are more human and more honest.
Again: it depends ofc.

I rarely, rarely hate fictional characters. There are just a few of them and they annoyed the shit out of me, tbh. For example there is Black Star... :'D
removed-userAug 29, 2018 10:06 PM
Aug 30, 2018 7:23 AM

Jan 2016
Bitch, annoying, or both. Simple as that.
Aug 30, 2018 8:06 AM

Jul 2016
Also hate the entire cast of Kodomo no Jikan.
Aug 30, 2018 8:18 AM

Aug 2017
When they are useless and/or useless for the development of the story:
The girl who is friendzoned by the MC in Dance in the Vampire Bund. I'm not even going to search her name.
Aug 30, 2018 8:28 AM

Jan 2018
- If they act too pervy (Mineta from BnHA)
- If they are annoying, whiny brats (Yuki from Mirai Nikki)
- If they are a dumbass (Suzaku from Code Geass)
- If they are way too evil (Light from Death Note)
- Dense harem protagonists
- Rapey characters
- Cocky characters that don't have any power to back up the cockiness
- If they are useless and selfish (Yuki from MN)
- And lastly every character that is like Yuki from MN

My most hated characters are Yuki from MN and Suzaku from CG.

Aug 30, 2018 8:53 AM

Aug 2017
They do horrible shit, like stalking, and then they are still accepted and loved by main characters alike (Ringo from Mawaru Penguindrum)

lmao hello there, it's your girl
pls sub to poundtoundhound thx
(Icon was done & animated by me btw!)
Aug 30, 2018 3:56 PM

Jun 2016
Me They are so many list I would like to list

If they Have no killing policy because they refuse to kill because they are too scared or stupid excuse they thinking killing is wrong despite how bad scumbag the person they are suppose to kill (Ken Kaneki from Tokyo ghoul,Goku from Dragon ball z and Sakuragi from Rainbow)

Whiny,Loudmouth and Illogical idealistic fools who is idealistic reach the most stupid level(Naruto from Naruto)

Clichy,worthless characters who are only useful If they are love interest are around(Shirley from Code geass)

Preaching self righteous pricks who think they are right or iTs all about them but too stubborn to listen to anyonelse (Suzaku kurugi from.Code geass and Vegeta from Dragon ball z

Overagrresive piece of shit the only they can do is abuse,use violence and solve everything with violence having temper same level as the sun(Bakugo from Boku no hero Academia and Shinn Asuka from gundam seed destiny)

Cliche Mainstream Main shounen characters such as Naruto from,Natsu from Fairy tail and Goku from dragon ball z with cliche traits and personality. Only Izuku midoriya and Edward elric is exception of my extreme hatred from Mainstream shounen typical main characters.

Gary sue character who are perfect and flawless(Tatsuya shiba from irregular magic high school and Kirito from sword art online)
SubaruHoshinaAug 30, 2018 4:04 PM

Aug 30, 2018 4:23 PM

Dec 2011
I'll like any character with at least some level of complexity, so it's hard to say if any are actually worth hating.
I guess the ones that are drivel and completely, absolutely pointless, like Mineta from BNHA or Fuuka from Kodocha. Characters like these are just plain annoying and it's agonizing when they get screen time.
Aug 30, 2018 4:52 PM

Nov 2011
1) If a character has a big ego and thinks they’re better than everyone else.

Example: sasuke

An exception is if it’s done in a comic relief kind of way, such as JJ from Yuri on ice.

2) If a character is rude to other people near constantly

Example: sasuke again

3) If a character gloats about winning and has a bad attitude when they lose

Example: not an anime character but Ron from Harry Potter is the perfect example of this

4) a rude tsundere type of personality where they are mean to their love interest. This mainly makes me hate them if it’s a romance and focused on a lot.

Example: Kou from au hard ride

5) characters that cause problems by refusing to communicate

Example: misaki from junjou romantica

And not so much something that makes me hate a character but more an annoyance- when there are the broody male characters that don’t like sweets. Why is this a common trait in a certain personality type? It makes no sense and most people like sweets? At least I think? It’s a weird thing to try to make a character attractive with.
OmelettecatAug 30, 2018 4:55 PM

Aug 30, 2018 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
The characters I hate most are the annoyingly cocky and arrogant ones. Such as Eren from SnK, Bakugou from BnHA, and that one guy from OnS.

Characters with no personality are annoying too. Like Mikasa from SnK, Kirito from SAO, and Yui from Diabolik Lovers.
Aug 30, 2018 5:29 PM

Jan 2016
Weakness, indecision, and worst of all- stupidity: Yukiteru Amano from Mirai Nikki
You are now breathing manually.
Aug 30, 2018 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
Omelettecat said:

4) a rude tsundere type of personality where they are mean to their love interest. This mainly makes me hate them if it’s a romance and focused on a lot.

Oh really? I don't remember Kou as this rude. It has been a while, but I can't remember that I thought that he is taking it TOO far, like in very abusive territory. Maybe I just have to rewatch it, but reading his name really surprised me. Sure, he was kinda (a little bit) rude and all, but I can't remember him as THIS mean. He is really likeable in my memory and dunno, maybe I quickly rewatch it on a weekend afternoon. xD
removed-userAug 30, 2018 7:04 PM
Aug 31, 2018 3:57 AM

Feb 2015
Adult characters who behave less mature than the children in that same show.
Aug 31, 2018 4:10 AM
May 2018
I hate characters that gain some sort of superpower for no legit reason right when plot needs it, or when they have a stupid ass ''goal'' and it takes dozens of episodes to achieve. (I'm looking at you Midoriya. Becoming a hero? like really?)

Oops that's basically every single shounen anime ever.
Aug 31, 2018 5:54 AM

Nov 2011
Maneki-Mew said:
Omelettecat said:

Oh really? I don't remember Kou as this rude. It has been a while, but I can't remember that I thought that he is taking it TOO far, like in very abusive territory. Maybe I just have to rewatch it, but reading his name really surprised me. Sure, he was kinda (a little bit) rude and all, but I can't remember him as THIS mean. He is really likeable in my memory and dunno, maybe I quickly rewatch it on a weekend afternoon. xD

He's not abusive, just rude/mean and standoffish. He's not as bad as the guy from wolf girl and black prince though. That guy was not so much a tsundere though, but just mean in general.

Aug 31, 2018 7:00 AM

Dec 2016
Deku from bnha is a great example of a character with no sauce
He spent all his time being on the internet to stalk a hero because he didn't have powers. And then he had to lift trash from the ocean and got power from only THAT
deku broke his finger and he cried, but then we have the big dick energy coming from Gon in HXH, having his arm lost and vocal chords smashed. And he was like 'oh cool'
those characters like deku? fuck em, his backstory wasn't even traumatic lmao
"Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."
Aug 31, 2018 7:31 AM

Jul 2017
Every generic dense harem protagonist ever.
Aug 31, 2018 1:05 PM
Jun 2016
Failed attempts at gray morality or hypocritical villains who get emotional - Stain
Tsunderes - Asuka
Stupid harem protagonists who seem asexual except they're not. - Rito
I'm not the kinda person who hates everything so these are all the ones I can recall at the moment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2018 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
Omelettecat said:
Maneki-Mew said:

He's not abusive, just rude/mean and standoffish. He's not as bad as the guy from wolf girl and black prince though. That guy was not so much a tsundere though, but just mean in general.

Okay, I just was surprised that you took him as example, because many worse guys crossed my mind. Thanks, can understand what you mean.
Sep 1, 2018 1:48 AM
Apr 2018
If they are born strong and never even tried to get stronger , but then making fun of other characters, weaker then them, even though these characters have been training a lot

For example our good old kitchen appliance microwave
———
I mean freezer( DB)
Sep 1, 2018 1:10 PM
Jan 2018
Violent/bitchy girls/tsunderes

Obnoxiously OP villains/villain sues(worse when thery get away with everything or slap on the wrist in comparison)

Unlikable characters who the story wants them to be likable yet shows the opposite

Characters who get away with any crime they pull aka karma Houdinis
Sep 1, 2018 1:12 PM

Feb 2018
character that want to protect every person on the whole planet or tsundere
Sep 1, 2018 1:23 PM
Aug 2018
I don't like crazy yandere like Yuno from Mirai Nikki.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - 44 minutes ago

10 by tinshard »»
4 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - Yesterday

48 by Maou_heika »»
10 minutes ago

» Love at first sight XD ( 1 2 3 4 )

kirAth-shiAue - Mar 24, 2007

171 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - May 24

27 by BigBoyAdvance »»
22 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - 4 hours ago

13 by Lhundrup »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.