Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 21, 2016 7:58 AM

Mar 2014
heroic age and sidonia are my 2 favorite mechas of all time I enjoy the genre but hard to find something that isn't gundamn
Eat Me
Jan 21, 2016 7:59 AM

Nov 2013
I don't know.

Some mecha is really well done while others are complete shit. Maybe because it feels less personal while peeps are in a robot?

I don't know, because on the other hand it can feel totally badass.

Mar 2014
IndigoBangarang said:
I dont even think mecha is the most hated thing on MAL, I feel like Ecchi/Harem and school settings get waaay more hate.

I personally don't really hate mecha,its just something that doesnt appeal to me. Most mechas do have a similar kind of story(weak boy gets the best mecha and then has to fight in some war),that isnt too interesting imo. But I am actually fine with mecha,when a show has more than action in it. Like Robotics;Notes or Suisei no Gargantia.

Suisei no Gargantia was/is beautiful
Eat Me

May 2012
People would rather watch shitty romance anime where people yell and cry all the time. Or shounen that never end and have loads of power ups. MAL is dumb.
Jan 21, 2016 8:09 AM

Oct 2015
I really don't know why, but mecha just bores the shit out of me. I do like Gurren Lagan and Bokurano though. Probably because they're so different.
Jan 21, 2016 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
IndigoBangarang said:
I dont even think mecha is the most hated thing on MAL, I feel like Ecchi/Harem and school settings get waaay more hate.

I personally don't really hate mecha,its just something that doesnt appeal to me. Most mechas do have a similar kind of story(weak boy gets the best mecha and then has to fight in some war),that isnt too interesting imo. But I am actually fine with mecha,when a show has more than action in it. Like Robotics;Notes or Suisei no Gargantia.

"Most mechas do have a similar kind of...."
"Most mechas"

Nah bruh. Mecha's the most diverse genre out there. Some shows are Macross, or Aquarion, and some shows are 8th ms team.

You can't generalize it. Especially when non-mecha shows include mechs and they usually fit in seamlessly like Tokyo Ravens.
FlatEight said:
I really don't know why, but mecha just bores the shit out of me. I do like Gurren Lagan and Bokurano though. Probably because they're so different.

Gundam boring the shit out of you makes a lot of sense. Just watch mecha that's not Gundam and you'll be fine, then if you like what you see, come back to Gundam and you can appreciate it.

Still. I can't see that. Mecha are usually the opposite of boring. Shows like Buddy Complex and Majestic Prince are extremely unique.
Jan 21, 2016 8:13 AM

Jul 2013
Seeing a fight among robots just seem boring to me. I watch mecha, but I'm practically forcing myself to watch it. Of course, I had to see Neon Genesis.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 21, 2016 8:14 AM

Jan 2014
Clebardman said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

What are those three, is it code geass?

CG, TTGL and the first Rebuild. I didn't notice any other mecha but it's not like I know them all, I might have missed something.

CG & TTGL obviously have good stories. Honestly, I can rate CG R2 10/10 but I didn't like bishie art style and mecha so I rate it 9.

It's true that I think mecha are childish but it doesn't mean that I rate them low, maybe just reduce 1 point. I never scored any series lower than 6 anyway.
Jan 21, 2016 8:18 AM

Jan 2013
Demi_V said:
Seeing a fight among robots just seem boring to me. I watch mecha, but I'm practically forcing myself to watch it. Of course, I had to see Neon Genesis.

Hmm... Some can shoot hadokens and shit.

Example of awesome 3D mecha fight

============================================
Example of awesome 2D mecha fight: Best part starts at 2:36

Honestly. If you like action anime, you should like mecha.
Jan 21, 2016 8:36 AM

Apr 2014
people nowaday love moe girl doing cute thing more than un-moe mecha robot doing robot thing.
Jan 21, 2016 8:53 AM

Jan 2016
Evangelion kinda ruined the mech genre for me :/ I just keep thinking the main characters as child soldiers now ...
"The law doesn't protect people, people protect the law."

- Akane Tsunemori

Jan 21, 2016 8:55 AM

Nov 2011
because some people have different taste than yours.
shocking? i know...
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 21, 2016 9:10 AM

Jul 2015
Nymphias said:
Because it's the polar opposite of moe. THE polar opposite. A lot of people value that here, myself included. Mecha doesn't interest me, but I don't necessarily think that all shows that use mechas as a central aspect are inherently 'bad' as a result of it; it's just doesn't suit my tastes.

Hardly different to moe, seen quite a few shows about cute girls piloting robots even before it turns to shit.

But meh, mecha is a subject enough opinion even for the genre since many mecha are done differently.

Do you like the "oh so gritty" Muv Luv and Aldnoah or do you love the camp as fuck Gundam Wing or Nadesico. Do you like the trying to be realistic Code Geass which is technically mecha even if they don't feature as much as other shows or do you like the whimsical stuff like Xenoglossia.

I love some Gundam series but absolutely hate other ones.

A lot of people just can't be arsed because generally it's sci-fi (which is not popular generally) or it's just about the MCs kicking the fuck out of everyone. Gundam Wing barely had them lose a fight in like 52 episodes.
Jan 21, 2016 9:25 AM

Nov 2015
Robots fighting robots just doesn't appeal to me. Code Geass is my only exception since it felt like a Chess game.
Jan 21, 2016 9:32 AM

Jul 2015
-Cracker- said:
Robots fighting robots just doesn't appeal to me. Code Geass is my only exception since it felt like a Chess game.

I've seen that argument quite a few times and I don't understand it at all, especially since everyone I've heard saying that has no problem with battle shonens with superpowers. Not sure what's the fundamental difference between DBZ's fights for example and super robot shows' fights (like GunBuster or TTGL).

I could understand that argument from a moe SoL fan, but it comes most of the time from battle shonens lovers, this just blows my mind everytime.
Jan 21, 2016 9:33 AM

Nov 2015
It just doesn't appeal to me too much. I've seen some mecha animes, and in fact found some of them good (like Gasaraki). But it just is't very interesting if it is the core of the show.

I found Evangelion good, but the mecha aspect was secondary to it, IMO.

I did enjoyed the genre more when I was a kid, though (Red Baron, Zoids).

Doesn't mean i hate the genre, even if i kind of have a bias against it. But good anime is good anime, no matter the genre. I'm looking forward to watching Eureka 7 and Full Metal Panic because i've heard so many good things about them.

refael9190Jan 21, 2016 9:37 AM
Jan 21, 2016 9:37 AM

Feb 2010
its more entertaining to imagine yourself having super powers than sitting in robot or having artificial body imo
Jan 21, 2016 10:52 AM

Jul 2015
refael9190 said:
I'm looking forward to watching Eureka 7 and Full Metal Panic because i've heard so many good things about them.

You should expect a teen romance more than a mecha anime from Eureka 7. Nobody told me and it was a huge disapointment, probably because I expected something else.
Jan 21, 2016 10:59 AM

Nov 2011
What pisses me off is how people generalize mecha anime as if they're all the same.
Jan 21, 2016 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
Mecha is the god genre, you fools.

Also, where's the love for Big O?
Jan 21, 2016 11:24 AM

Apr 2015
It's because Mechs is more about coarse fight and lacks of elegance
I love elegance.
And basically this is just like why peeps like curved line but hate straight line.
There's some good mechs too, like Code Geass or Eva, but we can't deny that there's a bad mech (MD Geist anyone?), but if I have to choose between a good supernatural action vs a good mech action, I'll just choose the former.
Jan 21, 2016 11:33 AM

Aug 2014
Watching a bunch of impractical machines clash is about as exciting as pog.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 21, 2016 11:35 AM

Nov 2011
You said:
It's because Mechs is more about coarse fight and lacks of elegance
I love elegance.
And basically this is just like why peeps like curved line but hate straight line.
There's some good mechs too, like Code Geass or Eva, but we can't deny that there's a bad mech (MD Geist anyone?), but if I have to choose between a good supernatural action vs a good mech action, I'll just choose the former.

As bad as M.D. Geist was its still more tolerable than Code Geass. If one wants a good mecha he or she should watch Macross: Do you remember love.
Jan 21, 2016 12:29 PM
Jul 2015
Because mechas are ridiculous. They look like toys and have dumb attacks like rocket punch.
Jan 21, 2016 12:40 PM

Nov 2011
Flevalt said:
They are mostly just used for action scenes.
In EVA or Code Geass, I can overlook them, but otherwise I would always prefer not to see these ridiculous things.

It's kind of dumb to see the characters sit around in a cockpit (usually even able to eject at any given time), taking a piss while fighting in their giant suits.
It makes the action scenes less engaging to me.

There are probably some pros, like the characters being able to rip each other's parts off without crippling the characters for the rest of the story, for more dramatic "oh no, he's got me!" moments during the fights. But I don't think I want to see any of these kinds of battles.

Why do so many mecha haters seem to be fine with Code Geass and NGE? What makes these two shows so special?
Jan 21, 2016 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
Code Geass mecha designs, those seem to be liked even by a lot non mecha fans. Knightmare frames were gorgeous, especially that Lancelot. I wouldn't call those toys or even simple giant robots. Even the 00 Raiser (which was stupidly OP broken btw) looked sleek and nearly flawless.
Jan 21, 2016 12:47 PM

Nov 2011
layfonkun said:
Code Geass mecha designs, those seem to be liked even by a lot non mecha fans. Knightmare frames were gorgeous, especially that Lancelot. I wouldn't call those toys or even simple giant robots. Even the 00 Raiser (which was stupidly OP broken btw) looked sleek and nearly flawless.

Too bad the story was shit and the character designs were dreadful.
Jan 21, 2016 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
Waifu_Strangler said:
What pisses me off is how people generalize mecha anime as if they're all the same.
Don't bother, these plebs wouldn't understand.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 21, 2016 12:51 PM
Feb 2014
I like mecha, but I don't like mecha done with pseudophilosophy.
Jan 21, 2016 12:54 PM

Aug 2015
Huh, since when, do people hate mecha? I totally love it! ;)
Only my real-life friends think it's ok, but they don't hate it either, luckily!!

Jan 21, 2016 12:55 PM

Jul 2015
Talking about mecha design, I took a look at a lot of famous mecha franchises and...

Eva-01 >>>>> every other pleb robot.
Jan 21, 2016 1:17 PM

Sep 2015
Honestly, and some people may not like what I'm about to say, but whenever I see 'mecha' all I can think about are 8 year old boys saying "Woaah, robots! That's so cool!". I don't doubt there are good mecha anime out there that I would like but I just can't get myself to watch it. The closest mecha I've watched is Symphogear, which is one of my favorites, and the new show Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut.
Jan 21, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2010
Duatizer said:
Huh, since when, do people hate mecha? I totally love it! ;)
Only my real-life friends think it's ok, but they don't hate it either, luckily!!

This!
Mecha animes are so good, love them, My fav being the Gundam series :D
Jan 21, 2016 1:26 PM

Nov 2011
Flevalt said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Why do so many mecha haters seem to be fine with Code Geass and NGE? What makes these two shows so special?

I can only speak for myself, but:

Mecha anime are mostly in the action category. I know of some very few ones who try to take a little more of the sci-fi realistic approach of how mechas could potentially work out but typically they're just used as oversized toys fighting each other.

Code Geass and Evangelion use mechas in them as an ingredient of the recipe that is supposed to make the setting seem authentic (and to keep the viewers from falling asleep). I would say they use the mecha scenes sparingly, as a means to an end.
You don't watch these series for the cool mecha fights (at least I don't), you watch them for the story and the, at times, very ridiculous and funny scenes.
Code Geass had some good tear jerkers and over-the-top drama that made me laugh hard.
And Eva is just brimmed with ridiculousness where you can't stop laughing.
It's not the kind of "ridiculous" where you turn off because it's so dumb that it's unbearable to watch.
More the sort of perfectly well-executed exaggeration that is both fitting and just horribly wrong at the same time.
You are not getting disengaged through such scenes, because they turn something into a farce similar as to how things are getting turned into a joke in real life to a point where you wonder whether you should laugh or cry because of it's surrealness.

Take this one for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCrZZAZr5S8&index=5&list=FLo3dflL_eXhEftAUuMDBkHw

It's so dumb, yet so beautifully done, that I could rewatch it over and over and still laugh at it.

Aside from that, their stories were meaningful and they executed the delivery of what they tried to convey quite well. Although Eva is a special case. It's gone off of any tracks of limitation as to how a story is supposed to be told. You can consider it as either cheap or original for doing that. I personally don't care about whether it was either. I enjoyed watching it. I was kind of disappointed with the straightforward ending though (after getting told that it's supposed to be a mindfuck).

"It's not the kind of "ridiculous" where you turn off because it's so dumb that it's unbearable to watch."

Actually for me personally this describes Code Geass best.
Jan 21, 2016 1:29 PM

Feb 2013
Clebardman said:
Talking about mecha design, I took a look at a lot of famous mecha franchises and...

Eva-01 >>>>> every other pleb robot.
eva aint got shit on nether gundam
Jan 21, 2016 1:36 PM

Aug 2010
I think the only issue with Mecha animes, are when they keep "uping" the power levels of the suits. The new toy is always the strongest....
Jan 21, 2016 1:38 PM
May 2015
Mechas makes the war look like a childish game or something. I hate it. The way they fly also makes me cringe...to the max. A 1000 tonne robot packed with jetpacks, thrusthers and weapons absolutely CANNOT fly in 3 dimensions. It defies fucking physics. Even if there are 5 or 6 thrusters in the back, it's still impossible due to the weight of that robot. Tanks, jets and navy ships, now that's what you call an actual weapon of war. This is why the mecha genre is a fucking joke. Except Code Geass, of course.

From what I've seen after watching a couple of mecha shows...The robots are equipped with heavy armour. Probably more heavier and stronger than the tanks. If that's true then the robots shouldn't be able to fly at a same speed as a jet. Oh god, I gotta stop thinking about that shit or else my cringe meter will go above 1.
jc9622Jan 21, 2016 1:48 PM

Jan 21, 2016 1:45 PM

Nov 2011
Flevalt said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Actually for me personally this describes Code Geass best.

I tried watching Code Geass once before and I think I dropped it after watching a few episodes. It does contain some cringeworthy elements that throw me off quite a bit.
I only rewatched and completed it recently.
I was pleasantly surprised with the direction the story took.

You disliked the story, right? What did you dislike about the story specifically?

It's not so much the story itself its more the characters none of which I like and the humor feels out of place like they trying to stick a silly over the top highschool comedy in a serious war mecha and it doesn't work at all. It also relied on some lazy tropes and cliches.
Jan 21, 2016 1:46 PM

Nov 2011
jc9622 said:
Mechas makes the war look like a childish game or something. I hate it. The way they fly also makes me cringe...to the max. A 1000 tonne robot packed with jetpacks, thrusthers and weapons absolutely CANNOT fly in 3 dimensions. It defies fucking physics. Even if there are 5 or 6 thrusters in the back, it's still impossible due to the weight of that robot. Tanks, jets and navy ships, now that's what you call an actual weapon of war. This is why the mecha genre is a fucking joke. Except Code Geass, of course.

Code Geass is a joke just not a funny one.
Jan 21, 2016 1:58 PM

Aug 2010
Only thing that pisses me off about mechas, is explosions in space lol

EDIT: Well one of the things
Jan 21, 2016 2:01 PM

Aug 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Flevalt said:
They are mostly just used for action scenes.
In EVA or Code Geass, I can overlook them, but otherwise I would always prefer not to see these ridiculous things.

It's kind of dumb to see the characters sit around in a cockpit (usually even able to eject at any given time), taking a piss while fighting in their giant suits.
It makes the action scenes less engaging to me.

There are probably some pros, like the characters being able to rip each other's parts off without crippling the characters for the rest of the story, for more dramatic "oh no, he's got me!" moments during the fights. But I don't think I want to see any of these kinds of battles.

Explaining why Code Geass is good to a brainless and close minded hater like you is just a waste of time .
Jan 21, 2016 2:03 PM

Nov 2011
Flevalt said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

It's not so much the story itself its more the characters none of which I like and the humor feels out of place like they trying to stick a silly over the top highschool comedy in a serious war mecha and it doesn't work at all. It also relied on some lazy tropes and cliches.

I can relate to the characters being unlikable. Especially the female ones, one of every hair color.
The most retarded thing in Code Geass imo is how all of the British royalties somehow just happen to go to the Japanese colony and pick their waifus from the school.
The school setting itself doesn't fit into any anime that tries to be serious.

I just autoskip those parts. Like when an annoying woman talks you full with gibberish and you turn to autopilot. Just that in anime you have an actual fast forward button.

I just didn't find anything to like about it really. It's the anime that made me picky with what I choose to check out. I really do think their are plenty of better mechathat deserve more attention.
Jan 21, 2016 2:06 PM

Nov 2011
Klassical said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Explaining why Code Geass is good to a brainless and close minded hater like you is just a waste of time .

Any one who calls someone a hater most likely has nothing of worth to say anyway.
Jan 21, 2016 2:07 PM

Apr 2014
Mecha is just giant robots doing stuff, that's literally all it is. There is no real character development needed for piloting a mecha, at least as I'm concerned. It's just pressing buttons, and stuff...
Jan 21, 2016 2:07 PM

Aug 2015
i have said it before and i will say it again because freaking power rangers > mecha anime
Jan 21, 2016 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Mecha is just giant robots doing stuff, that's literally all it is. There is no real character development needed for piloting a mecha, at least as I'm concerned. It's just pressing buttons, and stuff...

What does character development even have to do with piloting a mech?
Jan 21, 2016 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
Waifu_Strangler said:
layfonkun said:

Code Geass has its flaws but the attempt was respectable. I've always maintained that the problem was never the story, it was the journey to the destination and all of the sideshow antics on the way there. It tried to do so much, it kept forgetting where it was heading.
Jan 21, 2016 2:24 PM

Nov 2011
Z4k said:
Milk_is_Special said:

What does character development even have to do with piloting a mech?

He was trolling. Nobody is actually that stupid.

layfonkun said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Code Geass has its flaws but the attempt was respectable. I've always maintained that the problem was never the story, it was the journey to the destination and all of the sideshow antics on the way there. It tried to do so much, it kept forgetting where it was heading.

The impression I got was that it wanted to pander to as many audiences as it could by combining as many anime genres, character stereotypes, and overused tropes as it could :/
Jan 21, 2016 2:26 PM

Oct 2015
When I think of Mecha animes all that comes to mind is this.

and this

but otherwise its okay...

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Jan 21, 2016 6:06 PM

Jul 2013
If you don't like sci-fi movies or TV shows, then chances are you won't dig giant robots. If you're only interested in characterization and relationship than concepts (which is why some guys like sci-fi/mecha), then look elsewhere. Still think mecha is all about giant robots, explosions and spaceships? think again and who says mecha is for geeky boys like in the conventions with Star Trek fans? just shut up and enjoy Gundam, Fafner, Macross, etc.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - 12 hours ago

30 by enigmasauce »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 2 hours ago

8 by JoeChip »»
49 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9113 by Kenny_Stryker »»
1 hour ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

29 by Chileno-12 »»
1 hour ago

» A character who is impossible to love?

torsan88 - Jun 6

47 by Entity72 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.